PDA

View Full Version : Nick Griesen signs with the Broncos

Tempus Fugit
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
According to PFT:

Former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Nick Greisen agreed to a one-year contract today with the Denver Broncos, according to a league source.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/greisen-joins-broncos/

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I actually k now the name.....

good special teamer

Simple Jaded
04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
He's not a longsnapper is he?.......

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM

heh... no, we have a patriot one of those.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 07:05 PM

uhhh. . . . why would we sign a longsnapper when we already have the G.O.A.T. at that position?

nah, greisen's a depth LB-- he's a tough blue collar guy with some versatility. . . used to play for the giants, and i think he played in jacksonville also. . . has some starting experience. . . he's no revolutionary signing, but you know guys like that aren't available this time of year. . . not a bad pickup for a vet that'll probably compete for a backup spot in camp. . .

hotcarl
04-28-2009, 07:05 PM

hurrrrrr

i hate everything jorsh mcdarnit and xavier mcshanahasbenn do boo hoo

hurrr hurf durf im da expert bleh

T.K.O.
04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
we will have the 2nd most dominant defense in the afc ranking slightly behind the ravens...... any takers?:defense:

G_Money
04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
uhhh. . . . why would we sign a longsnapper when we already have the G.O.A.T. at that position?

nah, greisen's a depth LB-- he's a tough blue collar guy with some versatility. . . used to play for the giants, and i think he played in jacksonville also. . . has some starting experience. . . he's no revolutionary signing, but you know guys like that aren't available this time of year. . . not a bad pickup for a vet that'll probably compete for a backup spot in camp. . .

He's Koutovides without the exorbitant price tag for a ST guy and emergency LB.

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12248018

The Broncos today continued to add depth at linebacker by signing free agent Nick Greisen along with undrafted college free agents Braxton Kelley and Jeff Schweiger.

The team did not use any of its 10 draft picks on linebackers last weekend. Denver previously signed one undrafted linebacker on Monday.

Greisen is an inside linebacker who spent the past two seasons in Baltimore. He started one game for the Ravens in 2008. He also has played for Jacksonville and the New York Giants and has made 33 career starts in seven seasons.

Greisen, who played college football at Wisconsin, joins a corps of inside linebackers that includes D.J. Williams, Andra Davis, Wesley Woodyard and Spencer Larsen.

Kelley, 6-feet, 230 pounds, played middle and weakside linebacker at the University of Kentucky, and was Woodyard's college and high school teammate. Woodyard signed with the team as an undrafted free agent last season, made the team and ended up starting six games last season after D.J. Williams was injured.

Schweiger, 6-5, 276, played at Southern Cal for three seasons before transferring to San Jose State. He also played defensive end at times in college.

The Broncos have signed 17 free agents to join their 10 draft picks. The new players are expected to be in Denver by Thursday and will participate in the team's three-day minicamp this weekend.

To make room for all of the new players, the Broncos waived wide receiver Jayson Foster and tight end Adam Bergen.

Foster joined the team's practice squad last November but never was on the active roster. Bergen signed a future contract with the Broncos in January, and was last on an active roster with Arizona in 2006.

getlynched47
04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
yippee :coffee:

dogfish
04-28-2009, 10:23 PM
He's Koutovides without the exorbitant price tag for a ST guy and emergency LB.

~G

lol. . . .

Flatinum
04-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Any LB that can make the Ravens - starter or not and stick for a couple of years is welcome in Denver.

Dortoh
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
The only good news here is that McD and Xanders are still working hard and seem to atleast have a plan of attack. If the plan works or not only time will tell but atleast they are working.

Most of these guys are camp foder nothing more. If one or two stick and contribute its gravy.

The other thing I am starting to like about McD is I suspect he realizes the problem with our ST's was lack of quality depth. He is taking steps to correct that issue.

NightTrainLayne
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
The other thing I am starting to like about McD is I suspect he realizes the problem with our ST's was lack of quality depth. He is taking steps to correct that issue.

I've tried to make that same point a couple of times. QFT here.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
hurrrrrr

i hate everything jorsh mcdarnit and xavier mcshanahasbenn do boo hoo

hurrr hurf durf im da expert bleh

No worse than endorsing everything they do just because I'm a Broncos fan.

It was a joke, lighten up.......

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Apparently, the official signing of Greisen was today:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-sign-greisen/

Broncos Sign Greisen
April 29th, 2009 - 4:31pm by Gray Caldwell

The Denver Broncos on Wednesday signed free-agent linebacker Nick Greisen (GRYE-son), it was announced. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not announced.

To make room on its roster, the club waived fullback Andrew Pinnock.

Greisen (6-foot-1, 250 pounds) is an eighth-year player who joins the Broncos after stints with Baltimore (2007-08), Jacksonville (2006) and the New York Giants (2002-05). He entered the NFL with the Giants as a fifth-round selection (152nd overall) in the 2002 NFL Draft from the University of Wisconsin.

The linebacker has appeared in 98 games (33 starts) and five postseason contests (1 start) in his career. He has compiled 305 tackles (210 solo), including four sacks (31 yds.), one interception (6 yds.), 12 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries while contributing seven tackles (4 solo) and four special-teams stops in the playoffs.

In 2008, Greisen totaled five solo tackles on defense and placed fifth on Baltimore with 12 special-teams stops in 14 games (1 start). He also tied for the team lead with three special-teams tackles while appearing in all three of the Ravens’ postseason contests.

In 2007, he saw action in 14 games and started two for the Ravens, amassing 38 tackles (22 solo) and a fumble recovery while adding 13 special-teams stops. He paced the club in tackles in each of his two starting assignments.

After joining Jacksonville as an unrestricted free agent in 2006, Greisen played in all 16 games (10 starts) and placed fourth on the Jaguars with a career-best 82 tackles (48 solo) along with a fumble recovery and an interception (6 yds.).

In 2005, he played in all 16 games with the Giants and made career-high 13 starts. He registered 79 tackles, including a career-high 60 solo stops, while forcing two fumbles and recovering three. Greisen started the Giants’ Wild Card Game and contributed seven tackles (4 solo) against Carolina.

In his third pro season, Greisen appeared in 15 games (7 starts) and posted 72 tackles (53 solo), including a personal-best two sacks (16 yds.) with a forced fumble and a fumble recovery for the Giants.

In his second pro season, Greisen placed fourth on the Giants with nine special-teams tackles in 2003.

As a rookie with the Giants in 2002, Greisen saw action in eight games (1 start) and missed eight games with a stress fracture in his foot. He made four tackles (2 solo), including a sack (6 yds.), one forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He made a special-teams stop in an NFC Wild Card Game at San Francisco.

At Wisconsin, Greisen played in 42 games (25 starts) as a two-year starter, totaling 337 tackles (201 solo). He earned All-Big Ten Conference recognition as a senior when he led the Badgers with 167 tackles (101 solo), including four sacks (24 yds.).

Greisen, 29, earned first-team all-state recognition from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel as a running back at Sturgeon Bay High School in Sturgeon Bay, Wisc. Greisen comes from an athletic family as his brother, Chris, played quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals (1999-2001), his grandfather, Stan Kramer, played for the Green bay Packers (1946) and his cousin, Casey Rabach, plays center for the Washington Redskins. Nick Greisen was born Aug. 10, 1979, in Sturgeon Bay, Wisc.

Superchop 7
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz