PDA

View Full Version : Could additional RB for Texans come from Denver?

weazel
04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
posted on ESPN http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-9-180/Could-additional-RB-for-Texans-come-from-Denver-.html

Could additional RB for Texans come from Denver?
April 28, 2009 12:40 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Houston Texans fans are wondering how the team didn't address its one pressing offensive need with their draft eight picks.

They want a bigger back who can get tough inside yards working with Steve Slaton.

Alex Marvez presents two interesting potential candidates for the Texans: Ryan Torain and Selvin Young.

Denver has loaded up with running backs in free agency and drafted Knowshon Moreno in the first round. Ultimately, the Broncos will purge more Mike Shanahan guys as they move away from his system.

With Alex Gibbs running that very system in Houston, runners who looked good in it in the Rockies are smart projections for the Texans if they come free.

Props to Marvez for the quality forecast.

As for his remaining needs:

I believe the Colts have moved on and we're unlikely to see Marvin Harrison return. Between fourth-round pick Austin Collie and holdovers Roy Hall and Pierre Garcon, they think a reliable third option will emerge.
While the Jags would like another veteran receiver, they can be OK with Torry Holt, Mike Walker, Dennis Northcutt, Troy Williamson and draft picks Mike Thomas and Jarett Dillard.
And when Craig Hentrich decided to keep playing, the Titans didn't hesitate to re-sign him. Josh Miller could well be brought back to help in camp and be around as an insurance policy.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
sweet! i'd gladly give them torain for a 9th. . . .

OrangeHoof
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Young is a Houston kid. I've been saying for weeks that Young won't survive in Denver and the Texans ought to get this guy off the waiver wire when it happens. He knows the offense, he's a local kid, he'll come cheap. What's not to like other than an injury history?

However, it should be noted that the Texans signed two UDFAs for the backfield after the draft - Alain Foster of Tennessee and Jonathan Johnson of Oregon.

nthngd2say
04-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I didn't realize that Young or Torain ever got the tough inside yards... I'm not saying either would be a bad pickup for the Texans with Gibbs there just not to grind out the tough inside yardage

underrated29
04-29-2009, 01:29 PM
torain could get the tough yards- selvin imo can not.

Even though we have know, i would like to keep torain here, i think he has potential. Ditch bucky- we dont need him or his knee.

dogfish
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
torain could get the tough yards

yep-- from the x-ray machine to the training room. . . .

honz
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I think Torain has half as many career TD's as Selvin...and he only played half a game!

Simple Jaded
04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Young is a Houston kid. I've been saying for weeks that Young won't survive in Denver and the Texans ought to get this guy off the waiver wire when it happens. He knows the offense, he's a local kid, he'll come cheap. What's not to like other than an injury history?

However, it should be noted that the Texans signed two UDFAs for the backfield after the draft - Alain Foster of Tennessee and Jonathan Johnson of Oregon.

Yeah but neither one of those is The Next Terrell Davis.......

OrangeHoof
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I'll agree that neither Young, Torian, Foster or Johnson can pick up tough yards inside - not in goal line situations where everyone knows who's getting the ball. What I see in Young, though, is someone who can do the same things Steve Slaton can and serve as a cap-friendly backup. The Texans need to look elsewhere for a short-yardage pile-driver.

Broncolingus
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
They won't do it, but I'd gladly give up Selvin for a late round draft pick...

Agree, Texans ought to just wait for him to be avaliable on the wire...

Selvin's got about as much chance of making the team this year as Cutler does of getting traded.

Oh, wait...

Bad Intentions
04-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Hmm, you'd think that somebody that writes for ESPN would at least know that the system Shanny ran was implemented by Alex Gibbs and that Rick Dennsion was one of his disciples. Bobby Turner and Shanny also worked very closely on the ZBS and both Dennison and Turner were retained to keep the system intact. While McD will add some of his favorite plays, the ZBS isn't going anywhere.

Now, the fact of the matter is that we will have to cut several RBs. Of last years crop, Hall, Pittman, Torain, Young, Pope, Hillis, and Tatum Bell, only Hillis and Torain stand a chance and I think the writing is on the wall for Ryan Torain. Then again, having watched him in camp last year, I wouldn't count him out just yet. He was a great runner in camp and showed a lot of promise. We're talking he was better than anybody else on the field by a pretty good margin.

I'd also plan on keeping only three of the new guys. That is Knowshon is 1. Arrington, Buckhalter, and Jordan fight for the other two spots. I'm guessing it will be Buckhalter and Jordan (since Jordan knows the offense and McD is familiar with him). Arrington was brought in to be a 3rd down guy and return kicks. Eddie Royal is a great return man and both McKinnley and Alphonso Smith bring experience returning Kick offs. I suspect Eddie Royal will remain the punt return man as there is not a better option. In fact, I'm not sure we have a 2nd option returning punts on the roster right now???

Selvin Young is the likely candidate to go to Houston but he isn't the type to move the sticks. They would be better off taking a guy from somebody else's squad at this point.

T.K.O.
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
if torain is healthy he will give moreno all he can handle in camp competition,that being said health is a pretty big if.
i really hope he is well and we go into the season with both guys at 100%
if thats the case we will have a brutal running attack the likes we have'nt seen since.....dare i ? DARE DARE ! .........T.D. !
either way i feel better about our rb situation coming into next year than i have in a looooooooong time !:salute:

omac
04-29-2009, 11:31 PM
if torain is healthy he will give moreno all he can handle in camp competition,that being said health is a pretty big if.
i really hope he is well and we go into the season with both guys at 100%
if thats the case we will have a brutal running attack the likes we have'nt seen since.....dare i ? DARE DARE ! .........T.D. !
either way i feel better about our rb situation coming into next year than i have in a looooooooong time !:salute:

With 2 solid RBs, we might even look like Carolina's rushing offense. :cool:

omac
04-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Hmm, you'd think that somebody that writes for ESPN would at least know that the system Shanny ran was implemented by Alex Gibbs and that Rick Dennsion was one of his disciples. Bobby Turner and Shanny also worked very closely on the ZBS and both Dennison and Turner were retained to keep the system intact. While McD will add some of his favorite plays, the ZBS isn't going anywhere.

Now, the fact of the matter is that we will have to cut several RBs. Of last years crop, Hall, Pittman, Torain, Young, Pope, Hillis, and Tatum Bell, only Hillis and Torain stand a chance and I think the writing is on the wall for Ryan Torain. Then again, having watched him in camp last year, I wouldn't count him out just yet. He was a great runner in camp and showed a lot of promise. We're talking he was better than anybody else on the field by a pretty good margin.

I'd also plan on keeping only three of the new guys. That is Knowshon is 1. Arrington, Buckhalter, and Jordan fight for the other two spots. I'm guessing it will be Buckhalter and Jordan (since Jordan knows the offense and McD is familiar with him). Arrington was brought in to be a 3rd down guy and return kicks. Eddie Royal is a great return man and both McKinnley and Alphonso Smith bring experience returning Kick offs. I suspect Eddie Royal will remain the punt return man as there is not a better option. In fact, I'm not sure we have a 2nd option returning punts on the roster right now???

Selvin Young is the likely candidate to go to Houston but he isn't the type to move the sticks. They would be better off taking a guy from somebody else's squad at this point.

I'm thinking the Broncos will slowly move away from the zone-blocking. In one of his interviews, McDaniels mentions how it's important to have big guys on the OL who can stand their ground; he didn't mention anything about athleticism, so I'm thinking it won't be as much of a factor as it should be if zone-blocking won't be in the Broncos future. He also really liked his gap style from NE, based on that same interview.

I'm thinking Arrington will be staying. McDaniels made it a point in an article to justify his acquisition of him by saying how important it is to have a 3rd down back like Kevin Faulk, how impressed he was with Arrington, and how he wasn't taken out of the game in the superbowl in the 4th quarter. Besides, he's pretty young, while Buckhalter and Jordan are about 31.

broncofaninfla
04-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Send them Buckhalter for a 7th in 2010

atwater27
04-30-2009, 08:20 AM
We would be retarded to get rid of Torain. But we got rid of Cutty so he'll probably go too.

broncos9697
04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
selvin for a next years 3rd...that would work

ikillz0mbies
04-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Well Selvin Young has been cut. On his way to Houston perhaps?

hotcarl
04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
We would be retarded to get rid of Torain. But we got rid of Cutty so he'll probably go too.

why would it be retarded? he has never done anything
:welcome:

roomemp
04-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I never bought into the hype with Torian. The guy played one half of football and a lot of people make him out to be "the next TD". I never got it.

atwater27
04-30-2009, 05:58 PM
why would it be retarded? he has never done anything
:welcome:

He has done more than you.

roomemp
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
He has done more than you.

Please...... Hotcarl is the man. :salute: