PDA

View Full Version : What people were saying about our draft last year...

honz
04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/4/28/857363/grading-draft-grades-a-look-at-the

Check out the link. It is a nice article, but my favorite part is where he shows what the pundits were saying about our first two picks last year. They were pretty much saying the same things that people are saying this year, but I'd be willing to bet that Bronco fans wouldn't trade Clady or Royal for many other players that were drafted last year. Hopefully history repeats itself...

CoachChaz
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
just goes to show its always a crap shoot.

MadMax
04-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice read, since I haven't had the opportunity to wade into any of the other draft threads/arguments I'll do it here.

My issues with this guys analysis:

1. I think he's cherry picking with his choice of last years draft grades. He does state in the discussion that he only meant to show that some reviews last year said the same thing about players we all love now that is being said about Moreno/Smith. But it's also no coincidence he shows us 4 "D" ratings from this year and three "D" grades from last year. If I recall most ratings I read for last year gave us grades in the "B+" to "B-" range just about everything I've read this year has us in the "C" to "D" range.

2. The argument that if we got the players we want it doesn't matter where we drafted them. I like the players we got but this is my biggest beef with this years draft. Obviously you can't judge how well a draft went until a few years out, but you can immediately judge the value gained from each pick based on the consensus of teams and experts. In that respect we overpaid for several players, the worst of course being Smith and I think this is reason most experts have panned our draft. Most people predict us going 8-8 or worse next year meaning we very well gave up a top ten pick for a corner now. It may be in McD's best interest to get all the talent he can right now, but it is in the best interest of the Broncos Organization(ie: Xanders job) to take the long view and weigh the probable cost of giving away next years pick.

3. Finally the argument that the defensive talent just wasn't there in this draft. I agree that we shouldn't draft crappy players just because they play defense, but did we even get people that will start drafting all offense on the second day? What really blows this argument out of the water is given that this years draft is widely perceived to be weak in defensive talent and next years is supposed to be flush with defensive talent why not trade down as often as possible and stockpile picks for next year. Instead we did the exact opposite and traded away a possible top ten pick for a draft year which will have many graduating defensive stars.

Ok rant over. I do like the players we got, and I don't think this means Xanders or McD are in over their head and will ruin us all. I do think this being the first draft for either in their positions that some mistakes were made and it just kind of irks me that our Broncos have to pay for their growing pains.(PS. I'm gonna be in a killing rage next year if we go 4-12 or so and gave up a top five pick for smith even if he turns into a 5'9" superman)

NameUsedBefore
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm fairly sure we all had the hots for Clady. It was either him or the guy from Vanderbilt and I think we were more than happy to get one or the other.

I think a lot of people were initially surprised with Royal because of more popular players still on the board but upon learning about him were fine with the pick.

Dunno about the rest. Once you get out of the second or third round the lost potential value for making a wrong pick goes way down.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
it's too early to talk about last year's draft-- you're supposed to wait three years. . . we can't talk about those guys until we've seen them on the field. . . .

T.K.O.
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
it absolutely does NOT matter what round you draft a player in predicting their future value to the team or what you may eventually get in trade for them...(see matt cassels new 60 mil deal or brady's current value,both late round picks)and yes if you have 8 particular players you feel are best suited to help your team and fill needs (present or future) it is prudent to trade xtra picks etc... to ensure you get the guys you want ! its not like we traded our only top pick next year and left ourselves in trouble.
we still have a pick in every round next year and may acquire more,who knows.
its uncanny how many fans think they know what the team needs better than people who are respected in the field and are paid millions to make the decisions they make.
do you really think they are not trying to do whats best and maybe.....JUST MAYBE.know a little more about the situation than some pissed off beer chuggin fans?(the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
(the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

can I put that in my sig???

T.K.O.
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM

sure , it would be an honer sir! besides i never offend anyone anyway...i hope;)
oh yeah and i forgot to mention you have to read it really fast like those disclaimers at the end of car and or drug commercials on tv...hehe

dogfish
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
its uncanny how many fans think they know what the team needs better than people who are respected in the field and are paid millions to make the decisions they make.

just because execs, head coaches and front office types are paid millions, doesn't mean that their decisions are right-- ask lions fans! i bet any joe schmoe off their message boards could have done at least as well as matt millen did. . . .

dogfish
04-28-2009, 04:57 PM

no-- it wouldn't be the truth. . . . :lol:

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 04:58 PM
no-- it wouldn't be the truth. . . . :lol:

:laugh: should I put that part in there too??? :lol:

T.K.O.
04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
just because execs, head coaches and front office types are paid millions, doesn't mean that their decisions are right-- ask lions fans! i bet any joe schmoe off their message boards could have done at least as well as matt millen did. . . .

yeah....well the broncos are'nt the lions.:Dand matt is unemployed

Watchthemiddle
04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh but its from the MHR so it must not be credible.:rolleyes:

And who in their right mind would say they overreacted after this years draft because our picks last season have worked out?

Surely no one on here.

I mean, who would have thought Hillis would have worked out being a 7th rounder?

:coffee:

Watchthemiddle
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm fairly sure we all had the hots for Clady. It was either him or the guy from Vanderbilt and I think we were more than happy to get one or the other.

I think a lot of people were initially surprised with Royal because of more popular players still on the board but upon learning about him were fine with the pick.

Dunno about the rest. Once you get out of the second or third round the lost potential value for making a wrong pick goes way down.

Your right...the verdict is still out on the 7th round pick of Hillis..

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh but its from the MHR so it must not be credible.:rolleyes:

And who in their right mind would say they overreacted after this years draft because our picks last season have worked out?

Surely no one on here.

I mean, who would have thought Hillis would have worked out being a 7th rounder?

ME! I LOVED the Hillis pick! WHOOT.. that guy was a beast in college and was excited about him as much as I was excited about Clady! W hooooo Hoooo

Watchthemiddle
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
ME! I LOVED the Hillis pick! WHOOT.. that guy was a beast in college and was excited about him as much as I was excited about Clady! W hooooo Hoooo

I think I was more excited about Hillis than Clady...:laugh:

Its documented on here someplace...about 3000 posts ago...:laugh: