PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Cut Larry Foote

WARHORSE
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Dont know if this was put up, but............

Foote’s Departure Clears $2.885 Million In Cap Space (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/footes-departure-clears-2885-million-in-cap-space/)

Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 11:46 a.m.
With the Steelers dumping veteran linebacker Larry Footehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/#), the uncharacteristically cap-strapped defending Super Bowl champs will clear $2.885 million in 2009 salary space.
Foote has started every game for five straight years. In 2008, he had his lowest output of that half-decade run, with only 63 tackles and 1.5 sacks.
Lawrence Timmons, a 2007 first-round pick, will be expected to earn and keep one of the starting jobs at inside linebacker. To date, Timmons has been overshadowed by 2007 second-rounder LaMarr Woodley, who has become an impact player on the outside.
And it’s a bit surprising that the Steelers are making the move now, two months after the start of the 2009 league year. Cutting Foote in February would have given him a fair chance to participate in the free-agent feeding frenzy.
We also wonder whether the locker room will support the sudden departure of Foote, and whether there might be something more to the story that would make the guys left behind more inclined to accept the move.

TimBuff10
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
yes please

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Hmmm... thats interesting.... strange timing

adding a guy like this to the team, would certainly make things feel/look a lot better going into the year.

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Someone posted in the Draft and Free Agency portion of the board that Foote wanted to be released so that he could go and play for Detriot.

sanluis
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow!! I hope he goes to San Diego!!!!:D

Italianmobstr7
04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I would love to have him in Denver. He would be an instant upgrade at LB.

broncohead
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
It speculated he would like to play for Detroit. Don't know how true that is but he would be a very good pickup if we where to get him. It would make me feel better about the defense.

Poet
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
This would be a great signing for Denver. He would be an average player in a system that he understands. He also would be a great stop gap for your linebackers and wouldn't make stupid mistakes.

bcbronc
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
he's an upgrade on Andra Davis, no doubt. I'm all for offering him a deal.

Dirk
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I just saw these also....

Falcons waived DE Simon Fraser.

Fraser's versatility, size (6'6/300), and age (26) are pluses, and he can rush the passer. A 3-4 ballclub needs to give him a shot as a defensive end.

Falcons released DT Kindal Moorehead
Moorehead, a 285-pound one-gap tackle, became expendable when Atlanta took Peria Jerry 24th overall. Jerry and Jonathan Babineaux project to start.

Moorehead i'm not to sure about, but I would definately look at Fraser!

bcbronc
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I just saw these also....

Falcons waived DE Simon Fraser.

Fraser's versatility, size (6'6/300), and age (26) are pluses, and he can rush the passer. A 3-4 ballclub needs to give him a shot as a defensive end.

Falcons released DT Kindal Moorehead
Moorehead, a 285-pound one-gap tackle, became expendable when Atlanta took Peria Jerry 24th overall. Jerry and Jonathan Babineaux project to start.

Moorehead i'm not to sure about, but I would definately look at Fraser!

I think we have enough 6'5" 300lbers to look at for our DE rotation. unless there is something special about Fraser, don't think I'd bother.

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm all for McDaniels and Xanders pursuing Foote even if it's true that he want to play in Detroit. He would be an upgrade over Davis by a country mile.

shank
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
i approve

weazel
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I think he would be a terrible pick up. Back in 2002, Mayock listed him as a 4th rounder. He'll never be a serviceable player.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 02:14 PM
he's an upgrade on Andra Davis, no doubt. I'm all for offering him a deal.

my thoughts exactly. . . he's not a star, but he's a hardnosed, savvy vet with lots of 3-4 experience, plays physical against the run, and comes from a winning program where they play defense with attitude. . .

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 02:17 PM
my thoughts exactly. . . he's not a star, but he's a hardnosed, savvy vet with lots of 3-4 experience, plays physical against the run, and comes from a winning program where they play defense with attitude. . .

It looks like when he wasn't splitting time with Timmons he was averaging about 80 tackles per year with couple of sacks.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I wonder if he just has his heart set on Detroit? I hope not.....

broncohead
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
I wonder if he just has his heart set on Detroit? I hope not.....

Sounds like he does

Requiem / The Dagda
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Upgrade over Andra Davis? Oh, I don't know about that. I'd place him over DJ Williams on the inside in a heartbeat.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Upgrade over Andra Davis? Oh, I don't know about that. I'd place him over DJ Williams on the inside in a heartbeat.

I think DJ is ideal for ILB in a 34..... I think playing MLB that one season toughened his insights, his perspective, and his inside angles. With his speed, I think he'll do outstanding there.

I also don't ahve anyhthing against Davis.... but since Ifeel Williams is a better all around player than Davis.. Iwould rather see foote take his spot.

But then.. I'm making it sound as if Foote is here.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM

i think foote's take-on ability at the point of attack is superior to davis, although playing behind a better line probably didn't hurt him any. . . davis has always been productive on bad defenses, but i've always thought he was more of a drag down tackler. . . . in any case, bringing in some additional veteran depth and letting them slug it out in camp certainly woulnd't hurt-- we could use a few more guys that have 3-4 experience, and foote should be relatively cheap. . . i don't see why they wouldn't at least give him a call. . .

Nomad
04-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Sounds like the Steelers are going to keep Foote for another week or two to keep as trade bait, though Foote would like to go to Detroit or rumors the Cardinals!!

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
i think foote's take-on ability at the point of attack is superior to davis, although playing behind a better line probably didn't hurt him any. . . davis has always been productive on bad defenses, but i've always thought he was more of a drag down tackler. . . . in any case, bringing in some additional veteran depth and letting them slug it out in camp certainly woulnd't hurt-- we could use a few more guys that have 3-4 experience, and foote should be relatively cheap. . . i don't see why they wouldn't at least give him a call. . .

A couple of months ago it was rumored that the Steelers might release Foote because the emergence of Timmons and even back then I thought he would be a terrific pick up if we can get him.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
3-4 ILB is very much a cerebral positions, as it is in a 4-3 front. That is something DJ has never grasped quite well and quite frankly is the reason why he has been switched around from defense to defense. I'd much rather a Foote/Davis combination as inside linebackers in our 3-4 because they have the mentality to play it and have extensive experience in the defense itself. Quite honestly, (IMHO) the only reason(s) DJ Williams is projected as a starter in this defense is (A) the lack of quality on the interior and (B) the fact that he was given a ridiculous contract extension.

I just don't believe DJ projects well as a 3-4 inside linebacker, or anywhere in a 3-4 for that matter. We have the play the hand we're dealt with, and unfortunately DJ is a part of that.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
3-4 ILB is very much a cerebral positions, as it is in a 4-3 front. That is something DJ has never grasped quite well and quite frankly is the reason why he has been switched around from defense to defense. I'd much rather a Foote/Davis combination as inside linebackers in our 3-4 because they have the mentality to play it and have extensive experience in the defense itself. Quite honestly, (IMHO) the only reason(s) DJ Williams is projected as a starter in this defense is (A) the lack of quality on the interior and (B) the fact that he was given a ridiculous contract extension.

I just don't believe DJ projects well as a 3-4 inside linebacker, or anywhere in a 3-4 for that matter. We have the play the hand we're dealt with, and unfortunately DJ is a part of that.

i'm in agreement with this. . . in fact, i just posted this a day or two ago in a different thread:

although i really like the prospect of an adaptable hybrid front (it's served bellyache so well over the years, and offers a ton of versatility in gameplanning against different offenses), one concern i have is DJ's ability to play multiple positions. . . he's just not a quick-twitch thinker on the field, he's always been a guy that's best when he doesn't have to think through things and can just flow to the ball. . . . we've made it tough enough for him by moving him so many times, and while at this point he at least has a grasp of all three positions in a 4-3, now we're going to ask him to learn an entire new system of terminology and another new position in a different front. . . if we ask him to play two or three different spots this year, i'm afraid we're going to completely overload the guy and see him missing an awful lot of assignments. . . maybe i'm not giving him enough credit, but take into account that he's never been the greatest getting off blocks at the LOS anyways, and i really don't think he's an especially great fit for what we want to do on defense. . . it's too bad, because he's our most purely talented 'backer, and i do think that talent will help him to compensate and play at a decent level-- but i don't think he's ever going to reach his full potential at this point. . . . we can't afford to move him right now, but in a year or two i can see him being traded. . . .

i like DJ, he's very versatile and has really been a team player over the years here, but i agree that he just isn't an ideal fit in the 3-4. . . for what you want your ILBs to do, you don't necessarily need the elite athleticism that is DJ's biggest asset. . . you need big, physical bangers that diagnose plays, come downhill and fill gaps aggressively. . . DJ is at his best playing in space and flowing to the ball, not attacking the A gap. . . while i think he can and will be adequate due to his overall talent level, for what he's being paid we could get the same production from a cheaper vet-- and he could play on a defense that could put him at the WILL permanently, where he can make the most of his talent. . .

that probably won't happen right away due to salary cap concerns, but within a year or two i wouldn't mind seeing us move him-- not because i don't want him here, but simply because i think it would make sense for all parties. . . in the meantime, both he and the team will have to make the most of a less-than-ideal situation. . . .

bcbronc
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM

I disagree with the bolded. ILB is the most instinctive position in football, outside of maybe RB. if you're more cerebral than instictive in the middle, you'll always be a half thought too late filling the hole.

that's why DJ hasn't fulfilled his potential, he's always thinking about learning to play a new position. imo the weakside ILB position is the perfect fit for DJ. as long as he has someone in front of him and beside him that can deal with the big blockers, DJ will be left to use his athleticism to just get to the ball. as long as the scheme isn't too complex as far as blitzes and coverage responsibilities (I agree that "cerebral" isn't DJ's strong suit) I expect DJ to be a beast in the 34.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Pitt has always known when to cut bait. Pass.

TXBRONC
04-29-2009, 08:14 AM

I don't think it so much that the Steelers think Foote is on the decline, I thinks its more that Timmons is just that much better.

Poet
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't think it so much that the Steelers think Foote is on the decline, I thinks its more that Timmons is just that much better.

Exactly. The Steelers have cut so many defenders with big names and pro bowls that it isn't even funny. They run a great system and find guys that fit the system. Yeah, they do have standouts on the team. I think most could agree that Troy P would be a stud wherever he is. I think they just sorta got lucky with Harrison, and guys like Casey Hampton aren't exactly common either.

They find and groom linebackers quickly. Period.

Italianmobstr7
04-29-2009, 11:36 AM

They cut joey porter and he seems to be doing fine with Miami...

Poet
04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
They cut joey porter and he seems to be doing fine with Miami...

They also let Rod Woodson walk away and he did very well after his time in Pittsburgh.