PDA

View Full Version : We tried for Asante...

SmilinAssasSin27
04-19-2012, 09:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20438104/broncos-now-chasing-cb-asante-samuel-sources-say

BeefStew25
04-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow. I guess in a passing league, you can't have enough of those types of guys.

dogfish
04-19-2012, 10:09 PM
thank god we failed. . .

dude is a ballhawk, but he's also a freelancer whose effectiveness is very scheme-dependent, he's an unwilling tackler, and he's on the wrong side of thirty and very pricey. . .

DenBronx
04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Well, I think the Broncos will want to wait and see who falls to 25 first. If a quality DB is there then I can see the Broncos pulling the trigger. If not then maybe they do send the Eagles their 6th and a player.

So why not trade DJ straight up for Asante and then slide Woody over to DJs spot?

DenBronx
04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I still cant get over us not signing Bunkely. Lets just never worry about stopping the run then. If were able to dish out extra cash for Samuel, then why wasnt it available for Bunk?

Bailey, Porter + Bunk would have been better than Bailey, Porter and Samuel. But what do I know? I'm just a fan.

MOtorboat
04-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, I think the Broncos will want to wait and see who falls to 25 first. If a quality DB is there then I can see the Broncos pulling the trigger. If not then maybe they do send the Eagles their 6th and a player.

So why not trade DJ straight up for Asante and then slide Woody over to DJs spot?

The grass is not always greener...

Simple Jaded
04-19-2012, 11:07 PM
For a 5th or 6th round pick, why not? Especially is he restructures.......

Canmore
04-20-2012, 01:13 AM
For a 5th or 6th round pick, why not? Especially is he restructures.......

I think I would be on board with that. Samuel is due $10 million in 2012 and $11.5 million in 2013. That is to much. Champ is making about $10 million a season and he tackles.

Simple Jaded
04-20-2012, 01:53 AM
I think I would be on board with that. Samuel is due $10 million in 2012 and $11.5 million in 2013. That is to much. Champ is making about $10 million a season and he tackles.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/1127/asante-samuel

Scroll down to the March 27th update.

Keep in mind he said he'd restructure his contract, not take a paycut. Some of these rumors indicate that the Eagles would release Samuel if they can't trade him, none of his money is guaranteed so it wouldn't hurt the team cap at all

Canmore
04-20-2012, 02:18 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/1127/asante-samuel

Scroll down to the March 27th update.

Keep in mind he said he'd restructure his contract, not take a paycut. Some of these rumors indicate that the Eagles would release Samuel if they can't trade him, none of his money is guaranteed so it wouldn't hurt the team cap at all

Interesting. Sounds to me like he feels the Eagles aren't going to keep him at $10 million and he is doing what is necessary to recoup as much as possible.

Simple Jaded
04-20-2012, 02:22 AM
Interesting. Sounds to me like he feels the Eagles aren't going to keep him at $10 million and he is doing what is necessary to recoup as much as possible.

What's also interesting is that the Broncos apparently have more cap flexibility than is being reported.......

Canmore
04-20-2012, 02:40 AM
What's also interesting is that the Broncos apparently have more cap flexibility than is being reported.......

Well I wondered when last I heard they had $13 million left to spend and then the next thing you hear is that they are up against the cap. Somehow, that didn't quite add up. I guess we will see.

Simple Jaded
04-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Well I wondered when last I heard they had $13 million left to spend and then the next thing you hear is that they are up against the cap. Somehow, that didn't quite add up. I guess we will see.

It's most likely somewhere in between. They might be at the cap but have flexibility through roster moves, maybe that's why they released Goodman so long after signing Porter.......

Denver Native (Carol)
04-20-2012, 12:22 PM
The asking price for four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel is dropping.

Reports the Philadelphia Eagles "we're looking for a 3d or 4th rd pick for (Samuel) were wrong. They are willing to take a 5th or 6th," tweeted Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

It's an interesting revelation. The Denver Post reported Thursday the Broncos have already offered a fifth- or sixth-round draft pick for Samuel, a deal the Eagles rejected. The Broncos were reportedly turned away on a separate proposal involving an undisclosed player.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82877807/article/report-eagles-willing-to-trade-samuel-for-5th-or-6th?module=HP11_headline_stack

NightTerror218
04-20-2012, 12:28 PM
If we got Samuel then Bailey could slide over to safety. But also a nickle CB. I rather get a younger player then samuel.

BroncoWave
04-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I still cant get over us not signing Bunkely. Lets just never worry about stopping the run then. If were able to dish out extra cash for Samuel, then why wasnt it available for Bunk?

Bailey, Porter + Bunk would have been better than Bailey, Porter and Samuel. But what do I know? I'm just a fan.

Broderick Bunkley is quickly becoming the most overrated former Bronco by Broncos fans since I can remember. He is in the Peyton Hillis zone right now.

Cugel
04-20-2012, 01:29 PM

The confusion seems to result from the fact that the Broncos have plenty of cap-space, but ARE "up against" their self-imposed "budget."

So, basically Pat Bowlen doesn't want to spend any more money. OF course next year he won't have a choice since NFL teams MUST spend almost all of their cap space in 2013, but this year he can be as cheap as he wants.

I suppose Elway simply went to Bowlen and sold him on the wisdom of signing Samuel, but they didn't bother with Bunkley because they think a cheaper alternative is to rely on Ty Warren and Vickerson to be their starting DTs, and maybe pick one up in the draft.

Thus their rotation will look like:

Starters: Warren & Vickerson (assuming either stays healthy. Last year they were supposed to be the starters and both were out for the season in training camp).

Backups: Rookie draft pick and Mitch Unrein. (Gag!) :rolleyes:

I think Jamaal Charles should be pleased!

http://www.fantasyfootballfreaks.com/img/blog/AAH091206025_Broncos_v_Chiefs.jpg

Simple Jaded
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
The confusion seems to result from the fact that the Broncos have plenty of cap-space, but ARE "up against" their self-imposed "budget."

So, basically Pat Bowlen doesn't want to spend any more money. OF course next year he won't have a choice since NFL teams MUST spend almost all of their cap space in 2013, but this year he can be as cheap as he wants.

I suppose Elway simply went to Bowlen and sold him on the wisdom of signing Samuel, but they didn't bother with Bunkley because they think a cheaper alternative is to rely on Ty Warren and Vickerson to be their starting DTs, and maybe pick one up in the draft.

Thus their rotation will look like:

Starters: Warren & Vickerson (assuming either stays healthy. Last year they were supposed to be the starters and both were out for the season in training camp).

Backups: Rookie draft pick and Mitch Unrein. (Gag!) :rolleyes:

I think Jamaal Charles should be pleased!

http://www.fantasyfootballfreaks.com/img/blog/AAH091206025_Broncos_v_Chiefs.jpg
I think the fact that they cut McBean means they're going to draft a DT, whether that means 1st round depends on how the draft plays out. At least I hope so, anyway.

I don't have a problem with a self imposed limit to spending, but they could also wait til after the draft to sign more bargain free agents to fill out their roster. Going with Mitch Unrein would just be obscenely stupid.......

Denver Native (Carol)
04-20-2012, 03:51 PM
There is a report from the Denver Post that the Broncos are interested in Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel but haven't been able to strike a deal. And within Mike Klis' report is a key detail that helps answer the many questions I'm getting that go something like, "Why can't they get more than a fifth-round pick for Samuel?"

Samuel has two years left on his contract — $10 million, counting a $100,000 offseason workout bonus this season, and $11.5 million, counting the $100,000 workout bonus in 2013.

None of that money is guaranteed, so the expectation is Samuel would have to alter his contract for a trade to be done.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/38322/the-trouble-with-the-asante-samuel-trade

CoachChaz
04-20-2012, 04:10 PM
From what I've been hearing...Philly will take the 5th round pick. My guess is the bigger hold up right now is Samuel's veto capability and/or the restructuring

Chef Zambini
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
he was great in the mambo kings.

TheReverend
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
The most interesting part of this:

- Samuel is a subpar player in man coverages
- Del Rio has a history of heavy man schemes
- Denver played a LOT of man coverages last year
- Porter is also more of a zone DB

Take away: We're switching to more zone oriented coverages than we played last year

I LOVE that idea. It will probably drop our TANGIBLE pass rush results (sack #s) but should raise the TOs from our back seven and make Denver's D a more impact unit.

Jsteve01
04-20-2012, 04:36 PM
The most interesting part of this:

- Samuel is a subpar player in man coverages
- Del Rio has a history of heavy man schemes
- Denver played a LOT of man coverages last year
- Porter is also more of a zone DB

Take away: We're switching to more zone oriented coverages than we played last year

I LOVE that idea. It will probably drop our TANGIBLE pass rush results (sack #s) but should raise the TOs from our back seven and make Denver's D a more impact unit.

I like it and I don't, but giving playmakers like Champ, Samuel and Porter the chance to play off and free lance a little has huge turn over implications.

On a side note I've also never forgotten the hit that Samuel laid on Jeb Putzier years ago when he knocked Putzier out and laid his chin open...little man hits with malice. Like a certain Mr Herndon.

Ravage!!!
04-20-2012, 05:05 PM
If we got Samuel then Bailey could slide over to safety. But also a nickle CB. I rather get a younger player then samuel.

Bailey isn't sliding over to safety.

NightTerror218
04-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Bailey isn't sliding over to safety.

There has been talks about doing this as he ages. It could very well happen.

TheReverend
04-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I like it and I don't, but giving playmakers like Champ, Samuel and Porter the chance to play off and free lance a little has huge turn over implications.

On a side note I've also never forgotten the hit that Samuel laid on Jeb Putzier years ago when he knocked Putzier out and laid his chin open...little man hits with malice. Like a certain Mr Herndon.

Props for remembering Kelly Herndon ever existed.

DenBronx
04-21-2012, 11:48 AM
The grass is not always greener...

True but there will be nothing but grass to see when RBs are ripping off 50 yard runs on us.

I just think a run stopping DT is more valuable to the team right now.

MOtorboat
04-21-2012, 12:14 PM
True but there will be nothing but grass to see when RBs are ripping off 50 yard runs on us.

I just think a run stopping DT is more valuable to the team right now.

What does that have to do with trading a linebacker for a cornerback.

P.S. I'd be ok with trading the draft picks for Samuel (late round), but I'm not ok with swapping him for Williams.

Ravage!!!
04-21-2012, 12:57 PM
There has been talks about doing this as he ages. It could very well happen.

The only talk about this happening, is from the people on message boards. Now, I've been one to say I wouldn't mind seeing it, but signing Asante does not "slide Bailey to safety".. when we have NEVER EVER heard the coaches, or Bailey, talk about moving to safety anytime soon. Bailey is still a top 5 corner in the NFL. So I'm saying, that Bailey is not sliding over to safety, even if we did sign Asante. Asante would either play the other corner, or nickle back.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I just don't see how anyone could have a problem with bringing in Samuel. This team has 3 years tops, and more like 2 years to win a Superbowl. We're now on Manning time and we must win now. Samuel is another solid CB better than every one of the guys we have as "backups" on the team and trading a late round pick for him is nothing but a win for us.

I don't know how this thread got onto DTs, but it's obvious they aren't the priority and they don't have shit to do with Samuel anyway. It's not like we're wasting the money/picks on Samuel that could go toward DTs. We aren't going to pay for an expensive DT nor are we going to trade for one so why even talk about it as if trading for Samuel affects it in some way?

Maybe we'll draft a DT... most likely we'll let them all pass us by and just end up re-signing Thomas after the draft. So, trading for Samuel would be a good thing. It sure won't make our secondary worse. The likelyhood that we'll find a CB of his caliber in the 4th round or later is almost zero so what's the problem, again?

BroncoWave
04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
I just don't see how anyone could have a problem with bringing in Samuel. This team has 3 years tops, and more like 2 years to win a Superbowl. We're now on Manning time and we must win now. Samuel is another solid CB better than every one of the guys we have as "backups" on the team and trading a late round pick for him is nothing but a win for us.

I don't know how this thread got onto DTs, but it's obvious they aren't the priority and they don't have shit to do with Samuel anyway. It's not like we're wasting the money/picks on Samuel that could go toward DTs. We aren't going to pay for an expensive DT nor are we going to trade for one so why even talk about it as if trading for Samuel affects it in some way?

Maybe we'll draft a DT... most likely we'll let them all pass us by and just end up re-signing Thomas after the draft. So, trading for Samuel would be a good thing. It sure won't make our secondary worse. The likelyhood that we'll find a CB of his caliber in the 4th round or later is almost zero so what's the problem, again?

Because some people are butthurt that we didn't overpay for Bunkley but would spend money on someone like Samuel who's actually one of the better players in the league at his position.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2012, 09:19 PM
The only talk about this happening, is from the people on message boards. Now, I've been one to say I wouldn't mind seeing it, but signing Asante does not "slide Bailey to safety".. when we have NEVER EVER heard the coaches, or Bailey, talk about moving to safety anytime soon. Bailey is still a top 5 corner in the NFL. So I'm saying, that Bailey is not sliding over to safety, even if we did sign Asante. Asante would either play the other corner, or nickle back.The Broncos talk about moving Bailey around last year in obvious passing downs, iirc, that's why Samuel makes sense to me; Samuel and Porter allow the Broncos to put Bailey in matchup advantages.

Unless his play drops off significantly I think Bailey's annual salary makes his move to S an issue for his next contract, if there is one.......