PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Broncos have hit and missed with recent top NFL draft choices

Cugel
04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
This article in today's Post analyzes some of Denver's recent draft picks and the result isn't pretty:

NFL teams identify rounds one, two and three as "starter" rounds. And in this segment, the Broncos have failed too many times going back to the 2001 season. Next week, the Broncos have the No. 25 pick in the first round. They need to find a player the caliber of D.J. Williams, not Jarvis Moss or Willie Middlebrooks.

The second round has been to the Broncos what a green-side bunker is to a golfer's approach — hazardous. (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20429272/broncos-have-hit-and-missed-recent-top-nfl) The Broncos' spectacular second-round whiff under the direction of Josh McDaniels in 2009 — Alphonso Smith (strike one!), Darcel McBath (strike two!) and Richard Quinn (strike three!) — is a major reason Manning's new supporting cast is not as strong as it could be.

This article really grossly OVER-Estimates Denver's success in drafting the last 5 or 6 years and gives passing grades to some Denver players who don't remotely deserve it like Rahim Moore.

The Broncos have had better luck in the third round, thanks to the recent hits of center J.D. Walton and wide receiver Eric Decker.

Walton is certainly not a "hit" yet, if he's ever going to be. He's probably among the worst starting C's in the NFL and they tried to upgrade his position by signing Jeff Saturday to start ahead of him, but failed when another team offered more money.

Here's their analysis:

1st round: They rate Von Miller and Clady as "very good." Well, Clady WAS good, but he's struggled since his injury and would be considered a mediocre LT at this point. Hopefully he can recover his form this season. Von Miller has had a great first year and should improve.

For some reason they lump in first round "disappointments" with total BUSTS: Jarvis Moss with Knowshon Moreno. If Moreno fails to make the team or play a significant backup role this season, then he's a "Bust", but otherwise he's a "disappointment" for a former first rounder. Moss was simply a totally wasted pick, which is a different matter. Let's not mix up the two ideas.

They list Robert Ayers and Jay Cutler as "OK". Cutler is certainly a LOT better than "OK" since he was a pro-bowl player in Denver and led his Bears team to the NFL Championship game and had the Bears headed to a potential playoff game again prior to his injury. It's not his fault that McMoron decided to try and run him out of town and trade for the incomparable Matt Cassel. Ayers is barely average.

And both Ayers and "No-Show" were wasted picks already IF we take into account who they could have drafted instead: Brian Orakpo and Clay Matthews, but NOT if we simply look at their play without considering alternatives.

Tebow was a "disappointment" if you expect your QB to last more than 2 seasons as a starter and to learn to throw accurate passes. He might well become a "good" player in NY of course if he supplants Mark Sanchez and ever learns to throw a forward pass. So, he probably deserves an "OK" rating, unless you consider the Broncos wasted three draft picks to move up to draft him. On the other hand, giving a 3rd round pick to McMoron is like giving money to a crack whore. You might as well just burn it right now and save yourself the trouble.

Second round

They rate RB Clinton Portis as "very good" but he didn't last long enough in Denver to claim that role, unless you consider getting Champ Bailey for him in trade. I guess he was "very good trade bait."

I'd say Orlando Franklin and Zane Beadles are "OK" but nothing better at this point. Beadles has been a major disappointment for the 2nd G taken in the draft. He was supposed to become an impact player (which is the only reason you draft a G in the 2nd round and not convert an OT to G) and he's barely good enough to start at all.

And Walton is badly in need of either getting his act together or being replaced.

It's not hard to spot the 2nd round total BUSTS:

CB Alphonso Smith (2009), S Darcel McBath (2009), TE Richard Quinn (2009), DL Tim Crowder (2007), WR Darius Watts (2004), LB Terry Pierce (2003), DE Paul Toviessi (2001).

Anyway, an interesting read.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Mike Klis wrote the article, Cug.......

Cugel
04-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Mike Klis wrote the article, Cug.......

Did I say he didn't? :confused:

Chef Zambini
04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
alphonso smith has the honor and distinction of being the only second round total bust that we paid a FIRST for the priviledge of drafting !
and this crap about CLADY?
CLADY is one of the big reasons, both figurative and literal, that PM signed on with the Broncos !

I do agree, that barring a complete metamorphosis, no-show marino is, was and always will be a huge bust!
and i would say that if we drafted him in the third round !
lousy vision,
medoicre pass blocker.
POOR balance,
Hit him high, he will put up a fight.
get a hand anywhere below his ankle and he topples like a bowling pin.
no special teams contributions.
...and some streakers have spent more time on the field than moreno !
and many have shown to be more elusive.

If MORENO wasnt such an easy target of ridicule and representitive of the kind of waste treatment center, he turned dove valley into, then no-show would have little value to the championship thinking bronco fan.

Moreno can follow goodman out the door, for all i care.

its probably only his cap hit that is saving him from waivers.
a FRDC and not even our featured back, beaten for the start by the cliche aging tired, old and slow veteran, given up for dead

Cugel
04-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Clady has been widely commented on by former Broncos players who have all said that he hasn't been the same player since his injury.

This is not to say that he's a "bust" or something. He's still about as good as 1/2 the starting LTs in the NFL and could well recover his elite status if he's able to be injury free from here on. But, he's certainly not an elite LT at this point.

Last year all too many pass-rushers blew right past him and hit Tebow and Orton. He was obviously better than Franklin in that regard, but with less excuse since he's a highly regarded veteran.

I'm certainly not going to praise Knowshon. I hated the pick when it was made and thought at the time that it showed that McMoron was as bad at drafting as he was at FA trades. In short, beyond horrible. Orakpo was sitting right there and everybody expected us to take him.

The Redskins laughed all the way to the bank when McMoron left him on the boards for them and they took all of about 35 seconds to send up their draft card.

Even if he'd been a 2nd or 3rd rounder he'd still be a disappointment. But, he isn't a TOTAL BUST yet because he's still on the team and could improve this year under Manning.

He obviously needs dramatic improvement if he's ever to be any good. This is his 4th season. It's now or never for "No-Show." :coffee:

He could conceivably even be cut this season, if the Broncos found a couple of RBs in the draft but I expect him to make the 53 man roster.

Cugel
04-19-2012, 01:11 PM
As for Alphonso Smith, well what can be said? Trading a 1st round pick in 2010 (the #14 pick of the draft) for a second rounder in 2009, grabbing Smith and then getting rid of him a year later only to see him start for the Lions was just the final proof of McMoron's utter imbecility.

It's really amazing even in retrospect that anybody could be that criminally stupid, but McMoron M.O. was always to throw away draft picks like a drunken sailor.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Did I say he didn't? :confused:
No, I'm just saying that explains how completely wrong the entire analysis is. Especially with Cutler and some of McDaniels picks. He gives Doogie's picks the benefit of the doubt whenever possible and never passes up an opportunity to wipe his ass with Cutler.......

Simple Jaded
04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
My take on Flanklin, he was solid in his first effort at playing a new position but the sooner they move him to G the better.......