PDA

View Full Version : NFL, NFL Network, ESPN to reduce draft tip-offs

Denver Native (Carol)
04-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Let's fast forward to next Thursday, opening night of the NFL draft. With the Indianapolis Colts on the clock, time ticking away, the speakers crackle to life: "The pick ... is in."

Before we hear a peep from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, the camera cuts to Andrew Luck, huddled over a phone, smiling from ear to ear.

In this case, nobody is surprised, but as we move through the first round, these tip-offs affect the drama of the event.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82869a69/article/nfl-nfl-network-espn-to-reduce-draft-tipoffs?module=HP11_headline_stack

Northman
04-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Thats actually a great idea. I like the surprise factor much more.

iLands
04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

That said, I hope this is the case.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah...I LOVED the Tebow family passing out Denver hats 3 minutes before the pick was announced.

OrangeHoof
04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
My browser just had this: NFL, NFL Network, ESPN to reduce draft and I thought maybe they were shrinking again the time between picks or possibly going down to five rounds over two days, etc.

Maybe they could actually start the draft on Tuesday and just edit it for Thursday airing like a reality show. Then they could orchestrate plot twists, etc. and the viewing audience could watch as if it was all happening "plausibly live" as NBC says about their Olympic coverage.

DenBronx
04-18-2012, 09:52 PM
I actually liked the tip offs. It was cool to see the football players reactions at the exact time they realized who was going to draft them and what pick they were going.

So, I guess I'm one of the few who actually liked the way it was.

weazel
04-18-2012, 09:57 PM
the tip offs were gayer than a sequins speedo

sneakers
04-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah I don't like it either....like frigging tebow putting on a bronco hat 1 minute before they announced the pick.

dogfish
04-19-2012, 12:36 AM
now move the first day back to ****in' saturday like it's supposed to be. . .

:salute:

dogfish
04-19-2012, 12:36 AM
the tip offs were gayer than a sequins speedo

i can't believe you still have that thing!

Chef Zambini
04-19-2012, 01:39 AM
I actually liked the tip offs. It was cool to see the football players reactions at the exact time they realized who was going to draft them and what pick they were going.

So, I guess I'm one of the few who actually liked the way it was.I agree, the "tip -off' provided a window for us to view each player as he is selected!
That was cool, his reaction, the reaction of his family and loved ones.
I guess we will all just have to settle for a big bear hug from the comish, from all the invitees.

Canmore
04-19-2012, 01:41 AM
I agree, the "tip -off' provided a window for us to view each player as he is selected!
I guess we will all just have to settle for a big bear hug from the comish, from all the invitees.

Goodell. Yuck!

Chef Zambini
04-19-2012, 01:42 AM

:salute:Back when the first round of the draft occured on Saturday, research indicated thaT MANY NFL fans exploded by mid-week, in anticipation of the draft.
Therefore, as a public service, the NFL starts the draft earlier in the week, in an effort to save lives.

OrangeHoof
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I agree, the "tip -off' provided a window for us to view each player as he is selected!

It was always exciting to watch the dollar signs flashing in the eyes of the hot girlfriend sitting on the couch not realizing or possibly even caring that her man was about to get crunched more often than a chicken bone in a garbage disposal for all that money he was about to make but why should she care as long as she gets to dress well and live in a big house?

OrangeFanatic
04-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Eh, I don't really have a problem either way. We know now or we know in a few minutes/seconds. If people people really have a problem with it and like the suspense then I'm totally cool with no cut scenes to dudes putting on hats or talking on cell phones. If someone told me what happened next week in Game of Thrones before I saw it, I would cry.

CoachChaz
04-20-2012, 07:27 AM

:salute:

Amen!!!!

Nomad
04-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Don't care either way.

CoachChaz
04-20-2012, 08:03 AM
I just miss being able to spend the whole weekend with my son or some friends and being a vegetable and watching the draft.

TXBRONC
04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
I don't if it will make that big of a difference because ultimately fans will either like the pick or despise it.

MOtorboat
04-20-2012, 08:32 AM
We will still see the kids' reactions, just on a 30-second tape delay after the announcement at the podium.