PDA

View Full Version : should we go DT in the 1st? I say ehhh...

BroncoBowlby 88
04-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Looking at this draft and how deep the position seems to be and the other needs this team seems to have I would say go another route. First of all I would look into the secondary, Dre' Kirkpatrick looks to be a solid pick up and he may be around by the time we pick and it would add a real quality youth player who could take Champs place in a few years, an could start opposite him day one. Stephon Gilmore from South Carolina needs some work but has all the skills to be a great player and is worth consideration

Another position we need to look at with that 1st pick is interior line. I blame a lot of the sacks last season on Tebow, trying to make plays, not checking down, or picking up the right blitz calls, also Clady's strange ability to hold could be shouldered by Tebow. But is coming back from a nasty injury, Zane is a very solid back-up but shouldn't start . A couple of good first round guys you should look at Cordy Glenn from Georgia, Amini Silatolu from Midwestern and Kevin Zeitle from Wisconsin all guys who could start from day one.

And I follow Woody in thinking that we should pick up Donta' Hightower. He's played the big games, and has all the intangibles you look for in an MLB.

I think if you look at Denver's history in picking D-line, it's nothing impressive. And DT is really a bust position in the first round with only a couple of pro-bowlers and some average starters so I wouldn't waste a first rounder on something so fickle.

Krugan
04-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Not sure how they cant look at DT early, our Dline is questionable to say the least.

How much can we depend on a broken as dlinemen that hasnt played for 2 years and kevin freking vickerson?

Not saying we dont have needs everywhere else, but if you cant stop the run, your O doesnt get to play...

BroncoBowlby 88
04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
True. But I think we can find the same quality within rounds 2 and 3 at the DT position, a player who could start for us, and use that first pick on a big play maker!

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
I'll be happy as long as we adress the position in round 1 or 2...and then again in round 3-5. We land 2 DTs in those areas, I'm cool. It doesn't have to be in round 1 for me to be content.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
But we are due for our once per decade pro bowl DL!!! :D

It's just really hard to see Dre or Mr. Chicken legs lasting to 25 and there is alot of depth at CB as well as OG in this draft... I just don't buy Hightower for us...

If there is a DT they like at 25 they need to take him... I'd much rather grab Worthy or Reyes and grab Robinson at CB or Osemele at OG or Kendricks at LB in the 2nd but we would be really lucky if there's actually a good fit for DT at 57...

Bad Intentions
04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Pretty easy really, you draft the highest rated player at a position of need. The Broncos are interested in adding a QB, a RB, a DT and a CB. They would like to draft all four in the first 63 picks, but of course that will require a lot of wheeling and dealing. More likely is 3 of those positions in the first two rounds. I think QB will be the odd man out, but they are definitely interested in Osweiller and Cousins.

As for our first round pick, they will probably be looking at the 4th or 5th rated DT, the 3rd or 4th rated CB (assuming Jenkins is even on their board), the 4th or 5th rated QB, and the 2nd or 3rd rated RB. So, Worthy, Jenkins, Osweiller/Cousins or Doug Martin... I also know that the Broncos are looking for bigger RBs which means guys like Miller and LaMichael James are probably OTB. Sucks b/c I think Miller will have a lot of early success, similar to Portis.

dogfish
04-16-2012, 09:58 PM
i say we skip it completely. . . it's really not an important position-- we can get some perfectly good guys as UDFAs, that's really all you need. . . we should save our draft picks for more exciting positions!

Jsteve01
04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I say we trade a future first rounder for a smallish corner with marginal athletic ability but a gleaming resume...oh wait.

Simple Jaded
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
You gonna pass on Worthy if he drops because you MIGHT get a DT at 57? If he lasts that long you know the run on DT's is overdue and will start soon enough. You might end up with no DT's.......

dogfish
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
You might end up with no DT's.......

isn't that the idea?

:whoknows:

Simple Jaded
04-16-2012, 11:44 PM
isn't that the idea?

:whoknows:
I think this is the year you're pleasantly surprised. Either by drafting a DT first round or by drafting Doug Martin first round, that's my gut feeling.......

ShaneFalco
04-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Good DTs go all the way back until the 3rd.

We need a RB, CB early