PDA

View Full Version : Our Offense Is Going To Be A Nightmare...

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
...for defenses!!

I was one of the people that really wanted defense at 12, but obviously that didn't happen. However, there's much reason to be excited with Knowshon Moreno. The dude is a friggin beast! Now, imagine how disturbing the Broncos offense is going to be next year. :werd: With or without Jay Cutler, we will produce as an offense and throw points up on the board.

wow.

If a defense doubles Marshall, then Eddie Royal is going to have a field day.

If they double both of those guys, Moreno is going to have his way with them and tear it up.

If they double Marshall, press Royal, and keep a safety in the box for Moreno...then Scheffler, Hillis, and Graham are unleashed.

I am SO excited to see this offense. If Orton can be solid like we all hope and make the occasional big play, we're unstoppable.

I didn't even mention Stokley, Gaffney, and Arrington. We're going to be an amazing juggarnaut offense...but much more balance. Knowshon Moreno 2009 NFL ROY :rockon:

MasterShake
04-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Hopefully we can finish drives with TD's and not rely on Prater and suffocate teams with points and make them one dimensional. I don't like the idea of us playing from behind this season.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Hopefully we can finish drives with TD's and not rely on Prater and suffocate teams with points and make them one dimensional. I don't like the idea of us playing from behind this season.

We've got Moreno now...so we're going to finish drives :cool:

shank
fer sher. i'm not worried about orton with this many weapons. he had a crappy line and no real receiving weapons in chicago and won 2 less games than matt cassell did with a team that previously went undefeated.

ball control will go a long way to improving our defense also.

SR
...for defenses!!

I was one of the people that really wanted defense at 12, but obviously that didn't happen. However, there's much reason to be excited with Knowshon Moreno. The dude is a friggin beast! Now, imagine how disturbing the Broncos offense is going to be next year. :werd: With or without Jay Cutler, we will produce as an offense and throw points up on the board.

wow.

If they double both of those guys, Moreno is going to have his way with them and tear it up.

If they double Marshall, press Royal, and keep a safety in the box for Moreno...then Scheffler, Hillis, and Graham are unleashed.

I am SO excited to see this offense. If Orton can be solid like we all hope and make the occasional big play, we're unstoppable.

I didn't even mention Stokley, Gaffney, and Arrington. We're going to be an amazing juggarnaut offense...but much more balance. Knowshon Moreno 2009 NFL ROY :rockon:

Little bit premature.

MasterShake
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
fer sher. i'm not worried about orton with this many weapons. he had a crappy line and no real receiving weapons in chicago and won 2 less games than matt cassell did with a team that previously went undefeated.

Exactly. Its not as flashy but slow, methodical, clock eating drives are always better than moving between the 20's in 1 minute that turning the ball over or kicking FG's. You get momentum on offense, it really screws with the other team IMO. Their Defense gets tired, and the offense is off the field so long THEY never get any momentum going.

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Little bit premature.

Playing devil's advocate here......

So is calling a coach a failure before he ever coaches a game.

Just saying.

MasterShake
04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Little bit premature.

Said the embarrassed man to the hooker...:lol:

SR
04-26-2009, 11:10 PM

Just saying.

I don't think I've ever called McD a failure.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Exactly. Its not as flashy but slow, methodical, clock eating drives are always better than moving between the 20's in 1 minute that turning the ball over or kicking FG's. You get momentum on offense, it really screws with the other team IMO. Their Defense gets tired, and the offense is off the field so long THEY never get any momentum going.

We'll eat up the clock, keep our atrocious defense off the field, and now that we have ballhawks everywhere you look...they'll get the ball back for us and we do it again. :salute:

MasterShake
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
We'll eat up the clock, keep our atrocious defense off the field, and now that we have ballhawks everywhere you look...they'll get the ball back for us and we do it again. :salute:

I hope so. If we can pile on points and make them attack the secondary with the pass we might actually have a positive turnover ratio this year. I forgot how bad we sucked at that last year.

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't think I've ever called McD a failure.

I should have qualified that it wasn't aimed at you SR....but I am already seeing everyone saying what a failure the draft was, what a failure McD is....and all that is just as much premature as being completely optimistic.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
I should have qualified that it wasn't aimed at you SR....but I am already seeing everyone saying what a failure the draft was, what a failure McD is....and all that is just as much premature as being completely optimistic.

The only thing I feel McDaniels has done wrong is the Jay Cutler situation...from start to finish.

Other than that, I'm pretty excited with what we could potentially do this year.

shank
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
The only thing I feel McDaniels has done wrong is the Jay Cutler situation...from start to finish.

Other than that, I'm pretty excited with what we could potentially do this year.

i'm still going to poke McD in the eye if i ever get the chance; for mike leach.

that and McJaygate dug McD a big hole. in past drafts i have revealed to myself my own blatant incompetency at guessing who anyone will draft and who will be good/bust... so it is by far in my best interests to support the broncos and see how everything plays out.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
i'm still going to poke McD in the eye if i ever get the chance; for mike leach.

that too...I forgot about it.

honz
04-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Exactly. Just look at what Orton was able to do in Chicago with a mediocre OLine and a pretty bad receiving corps. Many people argued that he only had success because he had Forte in the backfield (I didn't buy that after watching many of his games last year), but Moreno is at least as good as Forte. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Orton and this offense can do now that he has legit weapons all across the field and will be in a supposedly QB friendly system. I'm finally getting really excited for this season.

Scarface

Just saying.

So is calling a coach a success before he ever coaches a game.

Just saying.

Watchthemiddle

Game and clock management. Slow methodical drives that score points. Big play drives that score points.

If we limit the RED ZONE turnovers and actually score TD's instead of FG's like last year....it will help out the defense tremendously. I bet the D is breathing a sigh of relief after the draft.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 11:24 PM

Just saying.

His offenses have been pretty successful....

Just saying.

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Just saying.

Success would mean that someone has had a winning season. Perhaps he isn't a successful head coach. But he did coordinate an offense that holds all the records and went 18-1. So it's not too far of a stretch to hope that some great moves on that side of the ball are going to be a success. That portion has been proven.

Guess I'm just more of a glass half full kind of gal. Sitting and waiting for disaster just isn't my thing. I'm not going to bitch until I really have a reason to....ask me again around October.

MasterShake
04-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Like he did to Billicheck?
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/Kenobi1_bucket/josh.png

(no, I did not do a crappy photoshop. thats a real picture!)

bcbronc
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
...for defenses!!

wow.

and I think the Quinn pick, for all its mystery, will help our redzone offense, especially inside the 10, once he gets the swing of things.

a goalline offense with Quinn, Graham, Marshall, Hillis, and Jordan at the skill positions has a lot of size, blocking ability, and versatility.

our offense is shaping up to be one of those "choose your poison" type O's that can match up against just about any defense in the league. as long as Orton or Simms can step up and make the right reads and get the ball where it needs to go.

shank
04-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Success would mean that someone has had a winning season. Perhaps he isn't a successful head coach. But he did coordinate an offense that holds all the records and went 18-1. So it's not too far of a stretch to hope that some great moves on that side of the ball are going to be a success. That portion has been proven.

Guess I'm just more of a glass half full kind of gal. Sitting and waiting for disaster just isn't my thing. I'm not going to bitch until I really have a reason to....ask me again around October.

i'm normally a knee-jerk reactionary. most days i would be one of the people calling for McD's head.. then after a day or two to cool off, i would come around and accept what he did... this time i'm skipping the emotional reaction and just looking at the good players that we are getting and looking forward to see how things will play out.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 11:36 PM
No team with this big of question marks at QB should ever be labelled "Unstoppable".......

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
i'm normally a knee-jerk reactionary. most days i would be one of the people calling for McD's head.. then after a day or two to cool off, i would come around and accept what he did... this time i'm skipping the emotional reaction and just looking at the good players that we are getting and looking forward to see how things will play out.

Yep, the last couple months being a Broncos fan have done wonders for my patience. :D

omac
04-26-2009, 11:38 PM
We've got Moreno now...so we're going to finish drives :cool:

Not only that, we'll be able to keep leads. It was usually in the 3rd quarter where the Broncos had lulls, because they'd go conservative and try to run with not that much success. With Moreno, we won't have that lull while trying to run the ball and kill clock. :cheers:

shank
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Yep, the last couple months being a Broncos fan have done wonders for my patience. :D

lol, now that i think about it, i'm pretty sure McJaygate has changed my temperament with this stuff. i was bitching hardcore during FA and now i'm just excited to see all of our new players in orange and blue.

MasterShake
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
lol, now that i think about it, i'm pretty sure McJaygate has changed my temperament with this stuff. i was bitching hardcore during FA and now i'm just excited to see all of our new players in orange and blue.

Sometimes when the rug is pulled from under you, you have time to sit and marvel at the ceiling.

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:44 PM

The migraines being pissed at the Broncos was getting overwhelming so I just decided to not be pissed until I watch a blowout or a tough loss that glares at what has happened because of new management.

Scarface
04-26-2009, 11:55 PM
His offenses have been pretty successful....

Just saying.

Dave Wannstedt was a pretty successful coordinator too. He actually has rings from it unlike our boy.

Just saying.

The point is nothing matters until we see what he does as a Head Coach.

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Dave Wannstedt was a pretty successful coordinator too. He actually has rings from it unlike our boy.

Just saying.

But the quickest to jump to is that he is going to be an utter failure...with no proof to say that.

:shrugs:

Shazam!
04-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Wow. All of a sudden McD has done something right, instead of McDouchebag all the time?

DenBronx
04-27-2009, 12:13 AM
i think our offense is going to be explosive because of moreno. this is exactlly why you draft a 1st round RB. mcdaniels i think just bought himself more time by this move because if the defense fails it will be easy to pin it against nolan and his scheme.

if you liked marshawn lynch then you for sure will like moreno who is a much better rb.

plus this plays keep away from san diego. that move alone helps our D. :laugh:

BroncoBJ
04-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Nice optimistic post. :salute:

Seeing this thread actually got me excited again :lol:
And seeing McDaniels talk about the Picks. Just imagine our offense with Jay and Moreno and all the other weapons ;)
But actually whoever we have under center will be pretty smart IMO. I'm excited to see the change we make this year. I just hope its not a long season where we go 4-12. I want McDaniels to get the last laugh. :elefant:

DenBronx
04-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Nice optimistic post. :salute:

Seeing this thread actually got me excited again :lol:
And seeing McDaniels talk about the Picks. Just imagine our offense with Jay and Moreno and all the other weapons ;)
But actually whoever we have under center will be pretty smart IMO. I'm excited to see the change we make this year. I just hope its not a long season where we go 4-12. I want McDaniels to get the last laugh. :elefant:

2 pure blocking tight ends too. that set up is going to look crazy....orton is going to have more time than cutler had for sure. hillis i think goes to h-back and he's pretty solid at blocking too. moreno, marshall and royal should all have a hay day catching all of these passes.

also, orton does do alot of 3 yard dump offs but now he actually has a back that can make people miss. forte isnt as elusive as moreno.

i cant wait till training camp.

NameUsedBefore
04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
The offense should be pretty sweet. In fact it -- GAK!!

*collapses, knife in back*

*Broncos defense emerges from the shadows*

Anyone got anything else to say?

shank
04-27-2009, 12:41 AM
The offense should be pretty sweet. In fact it -- GAK!!

*collapses, knife in back*

*Broncos defense emerges from the shadows*

Anyone got anything else to say?

while we could have made more improvements on that side of the ball, mike nolan and knowshon moreno are IMO two very big upgrades to our defense.

NameUsedBefore
04-27-2009, 01:06 AM
while we could have made more improvements on that side of the ball, mike nolan and knowshon moreno are IMO two very big upgrades to our defense.

Nolan yeah, but Moreno... Our defense was liquid last year. If it's remotely the same then the offense isn't going to be improved much. Instead of seeing nickel sets we'll be seeing a lot of eight in the box. If our running-backs don't work out, which seems inconceivable, then we're totally boned cause I don't think Orton is going to be picking apart nickel and dime defenses anytime soon.

There's also the matter of the Broncos schedule which should give any team pause and is one of the bigger reasons I have a hard time being very optimistic.

Broncos Mtnman
04-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Since it looks like the defense is still going to suck, it won't really matter...

:coffee:

bcbronc
04-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Nolan yeah, but Moreno... Our defense was liquid last year. If it's remotely the same then the offense isn't going to be improved much. Instead of seeing nickel sets we'll be seeing a lot of eight in the box. If our running-backs don't work out, which seems inconceivable, then we're totally boned cause I don't think Orton is going to be picking apart nickel and dime defenses anytime soon.

There's also the matter of the Broncos schedule which should give any team pause and is one of the bigger reasons I have a hard time being very optimistic.

why is that? he'll be playing behind a line that will be able to give him plenty of time, running a scheme that is quick and decisive, has good accuracy on short to medium passes, and a bushel full of weapons to throw to. Orton (or Simms) doesn't have the physical ability to constantly make plays out of nothing or carry an offense on his back.

but he doesn't have to. our offense is officially STACKED. all our QB needs to do is get the ball where it has to be, when it needs to be there. both our QBs have proven they can do that well enough to win games in the NFL.

as for our schedule, it's just words on paper at this point. some teams that were great last year, will suck this year and vice versa.

anton...
04-27-2009, 03:46 AM
why is that? he'll be playing behind a line that will be able to give him plenty of time, running a scheme that is quick and decisive, has good accuracy on short to medium passes, and a bushel full of weapons to throw to. Orton (or Simms) doesn't have the physical ability to constantly make plays out of nothing or carry an offense on his back.

but he doesn't have to. our offense is officially STACKED. all our QB needs to do is get the ball where it has to be, when it needs to be there. both our QBs have proven they can do that well enough to win games in the NFL.

as for our schedule, it's just words on paper at this point. some teams that were great last year, will suck this year and vice versa.

:salute:

NameUsedBefore
04-27-2009, 03:55 AM

You kinda missed the parameters of that equation.

BroncoNut
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Just saying.

then I guess there's really nothing to talk about until preseason

GEM
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
then I guess there's really nothing to talk about until preseason

No kidding nut...:laugh:

Yep, we might as well just shut this baby down...we're screwed and we haven't even played a down. :rolleyes: I just don't get it....people have bitched and moaned since CP left that we need a 1st round RB and now we get one and because of the guy who pulled the trigger and got what some of us have been begging for...it's a worthless pick. We got a pretty damn good pass rusher who we've also all been bitching about...a guy who has shown that he can tackle BEHIND the LOS...friggen HELL YES!!! We still have an offensive line that has shown to be one of the best. We drafted a guy who had 24 INT's....a big help to Champ on the other side if it pans out. We acquired Dawkins who is that locker room leader that this team has been begging for since Al Wilson left. It's really not so friggen bad in Broncos land.....at least the players that will be on the field haven't shown they are that bad.

People fear change. Change is sometimes positive....dwell on the positive instead of the negative until proven wrong.

Nomad
04-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Yep, we might as well just shut this baby down...we're screwed and we haven't even played a down. :rolleyes: I just don't get it....people have bitched and moaned since CP left that we need a 1st round RB and now we get one and because of the guy who pulled the trigger and got what some of us have been begging for...it's a worthless pick. We got a pretty damn good pass rusher who we've also all been bitching about...a guy who has shown that he can tackle BEHIND the LOS...friggen HELL YES!!! We still have an offensive line that has shown to be one of the best. We drafted a guy who had 24 INT's....a big help to Champ on the other side if it pans out. We acquired Dawkins who is that locker room leader that this team has been begging for since Al Wilson left. It's really not so friggen bad in Broncos land.....at least the players that will be on the field haven't shown they are that bad.

People fear change. Change is sometimes positive....dwell on the positive instead of the negative until proven wrong.

I agree and hopefully the players go into the season with the 'will to win', then again I'm sure they're sitting around at Dove Valley saying "why try we're gonna suck this year anyway":rolleyes:. It's not like their the SLSU Muddogs!!;)

The only thing I hope for is these guys are conditioned better than last year and can stay healthy because the 'injury' bug kicked our butts last year.

GEM
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I agree and hopefully the players go into the season with the 'will to win', then again I'm sure they're sitting around at Dove Valley saying "why try we're gonna suck this year anyway":rolleyes:. It's not like their the SLSU Muddogs!!;)

The only thing I hope for is these guys are conditioned better than last year and can stay healthy because the 'injury' bug kicked our butts last year.

LMAO @ the SLSU Muddogs. :D *giggles*

That is one thing I am really disappointed with...Tuten still being here.

If these players don't see that these coaches are serious....they are blind. I think that alone will bring out the best in some of our guys that have been here awhile.

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 10:02 AM
LMAO @ the SLSU Muddogs. :D *giggles*

That is one thing I am really disappointed with...Tuten still being here.

If these players don't see that these coaches are serious....they are blind. I think that alone will bring out the best in some of our guys that have been here awhile.

I don't think Tuten is as much to blame as the fact that Shanahan's camps were just a little soft.

GEM
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't think Tuten is as much to blame as the fact that Shanahan's camps were just a little soft.

I'm really hoping that is the case.

I'm pretty excited to see how they are going to use Hillis now.

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm really hoping that is the case.

I'm pretty excited to see how they are going to use Hillis now.

Me too. If we didn't have Moreno I would still be comfortable with Hillis carrying the rock.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
and I think the Quinn pick, for all its mystery, will help our redzone offense, especially inside the 10, once he gets the swing of things.

a goalline offense with Quinn, Graham, Marshall, Hillis, and Jordan at the skill positions has a lot of size, blocking ability, and versatility.

our offense is shaping up to be one of those "choose your poison" type O's that can match up against just about any defense in the league. as long as Orton or Simms can step up and make the right reads and get the ball where it needs to go.

The pick I'm still infuriated with is the trading to get Quinn and drafting McBath when William Moore and Rashad Johnson were still on the board. Other than that, the draft was solid and should only help us more.

underrated29
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Many people argued that he only had success because he had Forte in the backfield (I didn't buy that after watching many of his games last year), but Moreno is at least as good as Forte.

Moreno is a MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN FORTE!!!!

And i really really really like forte. Moreno will be a top 5 back next year Minimum.

I still dont think people fully understand just how good this guy is. Last year after the draft i was pimping royal saying he would be awesome. But Moreno is way above what i thought royal will do.

I am going to say that moreno will have approx 2k all purpose yards, and atleast 1400 rushing, with 10 or so TDs. He is THAT good. I watched almost all of his vids a few months ago and..........i cant stop gushing about him.

He is the next Adrian Peterson- not by the way he runs- similiar hard nose runners, but different at the same time. But i mean he is the next AP by what he will do to the NFL and his team...TAKE IT BY STORM!

underrated29
04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
The pick I'm still infuriated with is the trading to get Quinn and drafting McBath when William Moore and Rashad Johnson were still on the board. Other than that, the draft was solid and should only help us more.

Couldnt agree moore. (pun intended)

Requiem / The Dagda
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
It isn't really a surprise that McDaniels' had a strong focus on getting some offensive talent in this draft. I believe he did some good things addressing the defense; but his forte is the offense and this draft was indicative of that.

I'm very pleased to have two potential inside starters on the offensive line in Schleuter and Olsen. We have Kory here as well; and if two of those three pan out -- it looks like we'll have our offensive line set for years as Clady, Harris and Kuper are already established players in this league.

I move my focus to the Quinn pick which makes even more sense now. New England employs many jumbo sets to get creative in the running game regardless of where they are field position wise. Having Quinn (a great blocker) in this regard along with Graham is very valuable. The pick of Quinn has the potential to bolster our red zone offense and our rushing game. Thinking outside the box is pretty unique, huh?

The McKinley pick is perhaps my most favorite. He has the ability to be a great slot receiver in the NFL and has some great receivers to learn around right now. If Marshall is retained; having him, Royal and McKinley could be something truly special for years to come -- assuming McKinley develops -- and I believe he will.

I think our offense looks pretty damn exciting and dangerous; and I didn't even mention the addition of Moreno to our team. It has been a long time coming.

Thnikkaman
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Since it looks like my Crystal Ball is broken. I think I will wait to see how many of these draft picks and UFA signings actually make the team in August before I go lock myself up in my bomb shelter until February.

GEM
04-27-2009, 11:08 AM
It isn't really a surprise that McDaniels' had a strong focus on getting some offensive talent in this draft. I believe he did some good things addressing the defense; but his forte is the offense and this draft was indicative of that.

I'm very pleased to have two potential inside starters on the offensive line in Schleuter and Olsen. We have Kory here as well; and if two of those three pan out -- it looks like we'll have our offensive line set for years as Clady, Harris and Kuper are already established players in this league.

I move my focus to the Quinn pick which makes even more sense now. New England employs many jumbo sets to get creative in the running game regardless of where they are field position wise. Having Quinn (a great blocker) in this regard along with Graham is very valuable. The pick of Quinn has the potential to bolster our red zone offense and our rushing game. Thinking outside the box is pretty unique, huh?

The McKinley pick is perhaps my most favorite. He has the ability to be a great slot receiver in the NFL and has some great receivers to learn around right now. If Marshall is retained; having him, Royal and McKinley could be something truly special for years to come -- assuming McKinley develops -- and I believe he will.

I think our offense looks pretty damn exciting and dangerous; and I didn't even mention the addition of Moreno to our team. It has been a long time coming.

Damn skippy Dream....I'm excited. :D

BroncoNut
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM

I've never wanted you more than I do now.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Damn skippy Dream....I'm excited. :D

You know I'm a draft whore and hate giving up value, but I am extremely pleased with who we picked. The only thing that makes this draft not a complete A for me is giving up the first and fifth next year. However, we already had extra picks in each of those rounds; so it looks like we're back to square one for 2010. At any case, I understand why they gave up that value. They got the players they wanted. I'd much rather have Alphonso Smith develop now than have to wait for a replacement for Bailey/Goodman down the road in 2010.

GEM
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
You know I'm a draft whore and hate giving up value, but I am extremely pleased with who we picked. The only thing that makes this draft not a complete A for me is giving up the first and fifth next year. However, we already had extra picks in each of those rounds; so it looks like we're back to square one for 2010. At any case, I understand why they gave up that value. They got the players they wanted. I'd much rather have Alphonso Smith develop now than have to wait for a replacement for Bailey/Goodman down the road in 2010.

I liked what McD said about drafting. You don't just go for the highest guy on the board if it doesn't fit your system or what you are trying to do. If that means you have to spend a little to get that type a guy, so be it.

I also wasn't ecstatic about losing some picks next year, but if these guys pan out...it was worth it. We need impact now.

NightTrainLayne
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
I liked what McD said about drafting. You don't just go for the highest guy on the board if it doesn't fit your system or what you are trying to do. If that means you have to spend a little to get that type a guy, so be it.

I also wasn't ecstatic about losing some picks next year, but if these guys pan out...it was worth it. We need impact now.

I've been thinking about all of McDaniels statements and if I had time I'd start my own thread on them, and how they might apply to "game theory" which is the "study of the ways in which strategic interactions among rational players (in this case football organizations) produce outcomes with respect to the preferences (or utilities) of those players (read: Football organizations), none of which might have been intended by any of them."

We could argue that we didn't need a running back, but if all our targeted players are gone save Ayers who will be around a few more picks, and he's the best player on the board, and as an extra bonus, it means the Charger's don't get him, then we're almost compelled to take Moreno.

Similar but different analyses would explain some of the later picks, but in general, is a pick or picks more wasted on over-paying for someone that we actually want and feel will fit our system, or picking the "consensus" or popular pick even though he doesn't fit and will eventually be discarded.

In the first scenario experts and fans are critical for wasting picks and/or overpaying. In the second scenario, experts and fans are happy, but in a few years when the player is no longer here, did we really get value for that pick? Hell no we didn't.

I would much rather have a front office that knows what they want and goes out and gets it, then one that has "values" written on stone tablets and won't divert from them for fear of being criticized for reaching or over-paying.

shank
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM

even though i didn't like mcbath, that's pretty easy to reason through IMO. first of all, our ST is bad, and he will help us there at the very least. we also worked him out personally and felt he was worth the pick, so we just have to trust their evaluation.

in regards to moore and johnson, that's even easier to justify... moore is a SS, and we need FS, and it's obvious that NFL teams didn't have johnson rated as highly as many of us did. he fell a good way through the 3rd. (i know, we could have not traded up for quinn and got him in the 3rd, i agree)...

also, ^ great post NTL

shank
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM

a lot of people are also kind of ignoring the fact that future picks hold less value to a coach with all the pressure in the world on him to win ASAP.

underrated29
04-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I've been thinking about all of McDaniels statements and if I had time I'd start my own thread on them, and how they might apply to "game theory" which is the "study of the ways in which strategic interactions among rational players (in this case football organizations) produce outcomes with respect to the preferences (or utilities) of those players (read: Football organizations), none of which might have been intended by any of them."

We could argue that we didn't need a running back, but if all our targeted players are gone save Ayers who will be around a few more picks, and he's the best player on the board, and as an extra bonus, it means the Charger's don't get him, then we're almost compelled to take Moreno.

Similar but different analyses would explain some of the later picks, but in general, is a pick or picks more wasted on over-paying for someone that we actually want and feel will fit our system, or picking the "consensus" or popular pick even though he doesn't fit and will eventually be discarded.

In the first scenario experts and fans are critical for wasting picks and/or overpaying. In the second scenario, experts and fans are happy, but in a few years when the player is no longer here, did we really get value for that pick? Hell no we didn't.

I would much rather have a front office that knows what they want and goes out and gets it, then one that has "values" written on stone tablets and won't divert from them for fear of being criticized for reaching or over-paying.

good job. I agree. i have said it before and i am sure people are sick of it, but in FF drafts i go by what you just said. Value is out the window for me in drafts. If i see i guy i need or want i will take him, even if its a few rds ahead of where he is slotted to go. If it makes the team better- who cares about value

GEM
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
good job. I agree. i have said it before and i am sure people are sick of it, but in FF drafts i go by what you just said. Value is out the window for me in drafts. If i see i guy i need or want i will take him, even if its a few rds ahead of where he is slotted to go. If it makes the team better- who cares about value

:lol: I did that in a FF draft a couple seasons ago....I took Elam when everyone else was picking their 2nd WR's....I got laughed at...until Elam was the biggest point kicker in the league...then they said now I see why you did that. :D

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
even though i didn't like mcbath, that's pretty easy to reason through IMO. first of all, our ST is bad, and he will help us there at the very least. we also worked him out personally and felt he was worth the pick, so we just have to trust their evaluation.

in regards to moore and johnson, that's even easier to justify... moore is a SS, and we need FS, and it's obvious that NFL teams didn't have johnson rated as highly as many of us did. he fell a good way through the 3rd. (i know, we could have not traded up for quinn and got him in the 3rd, i agree)...

also, ^ great post NTL

Why do we need a free safety? Isn't that what Renaldo Hill, Vernon Fox, and Brian Dawkins are?

SBboundBRONCOS
04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Why do we need a free safety? Isn't that what Renaldo Hill, Vernon Fox, and Brian Dawkins are?

probably because dawkins is 35 and hill is 30 and fox sucks

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Fox is crap. I hope he gets his ass cut this August...

shank
04-27-2009, 04:22 PM

hill is our only FS, and like was said, he's old.

at this point, b-dawk isn't a FS, no matter how much he wants to be called one (much like lynch in his final years).

we got two true, ballhawking FSs on the roster now. one of the two should have a good chance to pan out and start, and the other will be a backup and special teams contributor.

underrated29
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM

at this point, b-dawk isn't a FS, no matter how much he wants to be called one (much like lynch in his final years).

we got two true, ballhawking FSs on the roster now. one of the two should have a good chance to pan out and start, and the other will be a backup and special teams contributor.

Everytime i see you avatar i think kyle is holding a bong. Trips me out everytime.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Damn I hate the Renaldo Hill signing so much...the guy's a loser. Oh well, I hope McBath pans out. The one thing he has proves is that he's a ballhawk, so I'm eager to see what he brings.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Everytime i see you avatar i think kyle is holding a bong. Trips me out everytime.

That's our quarterback! :D

Bill Devaroe
04-27-2009, 07:26 PM

best post ever

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2009, 07:38 PM
I hope Orton can be what everyone hypes him up to be. I am not getting my expectations up, but I will love it if he proves my doubts wrong.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I hope Orton can be what everyone hypes him up to be. I am not getting my expectations up, but I will love it if he proves my doubts wrong.

Cutler >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orton

But I feel much better about Orton now with him having Moreno. Orton looks pretty good when he has a stud runningback (Forte) and a defense that gets turnovers (Smith, McBath are ballhawks) :D

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Funny...I used to always say that about Cutler...the Franchise QB :laugh:

He sure is a Franchise QB...make that a double Franchise QB...3 years 2 teams. Yup, sounds like a Franshisee to me.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 07:54 PM

He sure is a Franchise QB...make that a double Franchise QB...3 years 2 teams. Yup, sounds like a Franshisee to me.

Cutler is a franchise QB. Funny thing........McDaniels got rid of our franchise QB for Robert Ayers and 1/2 of a Blocking TE named Quinn :coffee:

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Cutler is a franchise QB. Funny thing........McDaniels got rid of our franchise QB for Robert Ayers and 1/2 of a Blocking TE named Quinn :coffee:

Why is he one?

And that remains to be seen.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Why is he one?

And that remains to be seen.

Because a franchise QB is supposed to elevate his team. Jay Cutler did that with a defense that gave up 400+ points in back-to-back seasons and 7 Runningbacks on Injured reserve last year.

Ask the Lions how it feels to have a defense like that and an inconsistant running game. They finish with ZERO wins in a season. Cutler got us 8 wins.

What remains to be seen? We used one of our 3rds and Chicago's 3rd to get Quinn. Thus Chicago's third got us 1/2 of a blocking TE.

claymore
04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Great thread 47. I think all the folks that hated the Quinn pick will love him in the redzone and on 3rd and short at the very least. If he can catch, he is gonna be a star.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Great thread 47. I think all the folks that hated the Quinn pick will love him in the redzone and on 3rd and short at the very least. If he can catch, he is gonna be a star.

I didn't mention Quinn. I still hate the fact that we traded both 3rds for him ;)

Italianmobstr7
04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Because a franchise QB is supposed to elevate his team. Jay Cutler did that with a defense that gave up 400+ points in back-to-back seasons and 7 Runningbacks on Injured reserve last year.

Ask the Lions how it feels to have a defense like that and an inconsistant running game. They finish with ZERO wins in a season. Cutler got us 8 wins.

What remains to be seen? We used one of our 3rds and Chicago's 3rd to get Quinn. Thus Chicago's third got us 1/2 of a blocking TE.

Why remains to be seen is if Jay Cutler truly is a franchise quarterback. I believe that he will be. I don't think he is yet. His "me" attitude is not good for the franchise. I loved Jay when he was here. But the way he went out made me not like him much anymore.

Jason Campbell was brought up in trade talks and he didn't fuss and bitch his way out. He didn't stop talking to the OWNER of his team. I'll bet he didn't stop talking to his TEAMMATES either. I think Jay is a great player. But it's about the team first. And Jay did not want to be a Bronco. He may not have came out and said it, but his actions spoke louder than his words. For him to not return Pat Bowlens calls is extremely disrespectful. He needed to go.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Why remains to be seen is if Jay Cutler truly is a franchise quarterback. I believe that he will be. I don't think he is yet. His "me" attitude is not good for the franchise. I loved Jay when he was here. But the way he went out made me not like him much anymore.

Jason Campbell was brought up in trade talks and he didn't fuss and bitch his way out. He didn't stop talking to the OWNER of his team. I'll bet he didn't stop talking to his TEAMMATES either. I think Jay is a great player. But it's about the team first. And Jay did not want to be a Bronco. He may not have came out and said it, but his actions spoke louder than his words. For him to not return Pat Bowlens calls is extremely disrespectful. He needed to go.

Jay Cutler is a whiny little bitch. He is also a franchise QB. I already stated why.

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2009, 08:11 PM

What TEAM did he elevate? His former team was the first to lose 3 games with a 3 game lead with 3 to play.

Ya, great leadership. Great way to elevate the TEAM.

What I am trying to figure out, is why didn't we hear any of his teamates that he elevated speak kindly about him when he got traded. Urlacher and a few other Bears said in the media about what a great teamate and locker room guy Orton is and how much our city and locker room will like him.

Still waiting for a Bronco to say that.

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Wow once again the Cutler haters can't seem to let Cutler go. Strange and they say we are the ones with the problem yet they keep dragging Cutler in every single time. :rolleyes:

May have been my imagination, but I could have sworn I was talking about Orton. If you guys seriously want me to "move on" then quit bringing up Cutler as a defense to Orton. You are the one with the Cutler problem.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
What TEAM did he elevate? His former team was the first to lose 3 games with a 3 game lead with 3 to play.

Ya, great leadership. Great way to elevate the TEAM.

What I am trying to figure out, is why didn't we hear any of his teamates that he elevated speak kindly about him when he got traded. Urlacher and a few other Bears said in the media about what a great teamate and locker room guy Orton is and how much our city and locker room will like him.

Still waiting for a Bronco to say that.

With Cutler we went 7-9 and 8-8

The Lions (who had a similar mediocre defense like us and an inconsistent running game like us) went 7-9 and 0-16.

The difference? We had Jay Cutler and they didn't have a franchise QB.

Yes we choked the last 3 games away........but it was WE, not Jay Cutler alone.

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2009, 08:18 PM

The Lions (who had a similar mediocre defense like us and an inconsistent running game like us) went 7-9 and 0-16.

Hey, I don't disagree that ONE of the qualities a Franchise should have is to elevate the play of the players around him. To me thats the most important.

Problem is, is Jay NEVER did that.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey, I don't disagree that ONE of the qualities a Franchise should have is to elevate the play of the players around him. To me thats the most important.

Problem is, is Jay NEVER did that.

I'm sure Jay Cutler had nothing to do with the success that the entire offense had...including how we were magically plugging in scrub running back after scrub running back and they were succeed....Why were they succeeding? Because Jay Cutler was holding the defense in pass defense. That's elevating.

BTW you brought up Jay Cutler in the thread....page 5...not LoyalSoldier

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Because a franchise QB is supposed to elevate his team.

QFT.

Now, why, again, is Jay Cutler a franchise quarterback?

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow once again the Cutler haters can't seem to let Cutler go. Strange and they say we are the ones with the problem yet they keep dragging Cutler in every single time. :rolleyes:

May have been my imagination, but I could have sworn I was talking about Orton. If you guys seriously want me to "move on" then quit bringing up Cutler as a defense to Orton. You are the one with the Cutler problem.

McDaniels hater.

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Funny ........ I was responding to 47's post ...not yours.

Thanks though

Um no just take a look.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2388/lolwutkgd.png

If you misquoted fine, but you did respond to me.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 08:23 PM

QFT.

Now, why, again, is Jay Cutler a franchise quarterback?

WTF?? Read the thread....both of you are turning this into a Cutler thread.

Let's keep this on topic.

ikillz0mbies
04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey! News flash. Jay Cutler isn't a Bronco anymore. Franchise QB or not, the Broncos QB's are Kyle Orton, Chris Simms, and Tom Brandstater. Cutler is a Bear. We'll soon find out if trading Cutler away was a good decision or not this season and beyond.

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
McDaniels hater.

At least McDaniels is still a Bronco and I don't have to drag him into a discussion that isn't about him.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey! News flash. Jay Cutler isn't a Bronco anymore. Franchise QB or not, the Broncos QB's are Kyle Orton, Chris Simms, and Tom Brandstater. Cutler is a Bear. We'll soon find out if trading Cutler away was a good decision or not this season and beyond.

Dude. You're not helping. This isn't a Jay Cutler thread...so if WTM wants to talk Jay Cutler...there's hundreds of other threads.

I'm looking forward to our potent offense this year.

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Um no just take a look.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2388/lolwutkgd.png

If you misquoted fine, but you did respond to me.

Sorry,....i thought I was responding to 47's Franchise QB statement.

Sorry...it will never happen again

:noidea:

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2009, 08:33 PM

I guess I didn't realize making this comment automatically turned this into a Cutelr thread.

Sorry...it will never happen again

ikillz0mbies
04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Dude. You're not helping. This isn't a Jay Cutler thread...so if WTM wants to talk Jay Cutler...there's hundreds of other threads.

I'm looking forward to our potent offense this year.

So am I. I want to see if Richard Quinn was worth the 2 3rd rounders. I want to see Knowshon Moreno run wild on teams.

You're absolutely right that this seasons offense should be pretty damn exciting. I can't wait to see what McDaniels can do with all these weapons on offense (Marshall, Moreno, Royal, Hillis, etc.). He could even turn this offense even better than the Patriots of last season.

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM

William Moore sucks. Not sure about Johnson, I haven't seen him play much.

I don't mind the McBath pick, but I don't like the defense he came from. They notoriously suck, but of course, it's always blamed on the offense and how much time they spend on the field.

I would have preferred to at least try picking up a defensive lineman rather than another defensive back.

And, frankly, I don't mind the Quinn pick, either. Maybe the decision to trade up to get him was questionable, but I don't mind the player.

Nomad
04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
So am I. I want to see if Richard Quinn was worth the 2 3rd rounders. I want to see Knowshon Moreno run wild on teams.

You're absolutely right that this seasons offense should be pretty damn exciting. I can't wait to see what McDaniels can do with all these weapons on offense (Marshall, Moreno, Royal, Hillis, etc.). He could even turn this offense even better than the Patriots of last season.

I'm always excited for BRONCOS football and college football and coaching the game to 12yr olds (7th gr defense-secondary). I wish I could find the fountain of youth and play again but i enjoy teaching my sons as well. So I'm always excited about the game and being this is a new beginning for the BRONCOS I'm ready for the ride whether it'll be rough or smooth transition and excited to see this offense/defense/special team work!!!!

GEM
04-28-2009, 09:37 AM

GL brought up Cutler, not WTM.

Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalSoldier View Post

Cutler >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orton

But I feel much better about Orton now with him having Moreno. Orton looks pretty good when he has a stud runningback (Forte) and a defense that gets turnovers (Smith, McBath are ballhawks) :D

LoyalSoldier
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
GL brought up Cutler, not WTM.

Just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalSoldier View Post

It was the fact WTM quoted my post that prompted that response. If he had quoted GL47 I wouldn't have responded that way.

NameUsedBefore
04-28-2009, 03:53 PM
MS paint ftw.

Scarface
05-02-2009, 08:07 AM
But the quickest to jump to is that he is going to be an utter failure...with no proof to say that.

Or to jump to the conclusion that he's the next Bill Walsh...with no proof to say that.

This will be one of the more interesting talked about seasons in a longtime for Broncos fans.:defense:

getlynched47
05-02-2009, 02:30 PM
William Moore sucks. Not sure about Johnson, I haven't seen him play much.

I don't mind the McBath pick, but I don't like the defense he came from. They notoriously suck, but of course, it's always blamed on the offense and how much time they spend on the field.

I would have preferred to at least try picking up a defensive lineman rather than another defensive back.

And, frankly, I don't mind the Quinn pick, either. Maybe the decision to trade up to get him was questionable, but I don't mind the player.

I don't mind the player either (Quinn), I just wish we would've kept our two 3rd rounders and potentially gotten Quinn along with another player...oh well.

getlynched47
05-02-2009, 02:54 PM
MS paint ftw.

Moreno, Hillis, Marshall, Royal, Graham, Scheffler FTW :rockon:

Lonestar
05-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Moreno, Hillis, Marshall, Royal, Graham, Scheffler FTW :rockon:

you forgot the OLINE has one more year working together makes a world of difference..

We basically had 3 rookies at their position Clady, Harris, Kuper last year on the OLINE.. and one newbie Center that had never ZBS'd before..

What they did was short of a miracle..

getlynched47
05-02-2009, 03:29 PM
you forgot the OLINE has one more year working together makes a world of difference..

We basically had 3 rookies at their position Clady, Harris, Kuper last year on the OLINE.. and one newbie Center that had never ZBS'd before..

What they did was short of a miracle..

Hell no I don't forget the o-line.

It's just usually the credit of offensive success is given to the skill-position players.........I could've named all 11 starters and even more backup players, but I'm too lazy to do that.