PDA

View Full Version : Stokely signs...

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2012, 04:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stokley-reunites-manning-denver-201125456--nfl.html

dogfish
04-16-2012, 04:06 PM
and pola is happy!

:defense:

LTC Pain
04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
DT, Decker, Caldwell, Hill and Stokely are the top five for now. The Broncos have 6-7 other WRs on the roster now so why draft one in any round?

Slick
04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I think Willis can be everything Stokley was with a QB like Manning.

Do you guys think he makes the 53 man roster?

NightTerror218
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM

I do. I would pick him over Hill and Caldwell who I know nothing about right now.

Northman
04-16-2012, 04:36 PM

I dont know but wasnt Stokes retired? At this stage of the game i think Willis has far more upside.

Jsteve01
04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Willis is faster and a better blocker plus he's pretty solid in special teams. Can't see Stokely lasting if the Broncos are holding to their 3 year plan. Now a little aside. This is starting to smell like the same shyte the Rockies pulled this year. Preach youth and building your organization and then go out and sign the oldest WR on the market.

roomemp
04-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I for one think Caldwell is going to have a breakout year. He looked solid at times last year for the Bengals. I wouldn't be suprised at all if he is a major contributor this year...Its nice having Stokes back but a roster spot is far from guranteed.

ShaneFalco
04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
guess we are not getting a WR in draft

pnbronco
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
and pola is happy!

:defense:

Yes she is. I didn't get to tell him goodbye last time and now I'll get to see and talk to him again. Also I think it's a good thing that Peyton is very comfortable with him Not to mention that he worked out with Peyton when they brought him to Denver and he could judge where Peyton was in his recovery. Stokes works really hard and will do what he can to make this team and that can only be a good thing for the Broncos.....:D

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I dont know but wasnt Stokes retired? At this stage of the game i think Willis has far more upside.

He was with the Giants last year, and they cut him during the season, but I never heard that he retired.

dogfish
04-16-2012, 06:54 PM

yes-- definitely, unless we happen to make another significant move at the position (trade or early draft pick), which i don't see at all. . . he'll make it. . .

Willis is faster and a better blocker plus he's pretty solid in special teams. Can't see Stokely lasting if the Broncos are holding to their 3 year plan. Now a little aside. This is starting to smell like the same shyte the Rockies pulled this year. Preach youth and building your organization and then go out and sign the oldest WR on the market.

well, look how young the rest of the receiving corps is-- decker, DT, willis, caldwell, hill-- not a vet among 'em. . . we'll keep six this year, and stokes is the sixth if he can win the job in camp. . . it'll be well worth the roster spot just to have a legit pro with lots of experience in manning's offense in the film and receiver's meeting room with all those kids-- somebody who already understands the nuances of how peyton wants routes run. . .

Softskull
04-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I always thought that Denver had a great chance to land Peyton because the Stokelys lived in town. Peyton may have wanted to play here but Mrs. Manning had a close friend in town. It's always easier to relocate for a job when the Mrs. is happy about the new location.

And there was that very large pile of money too.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Willis just re-signed today too... 1 yr 1.26 mil from Rotoworld...

camdisco24
04-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Awesome to hear Stokely is back. Hopefully he can contribute and be a great veteran player/teacher.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2012, 07:20 PM
who cares? he'll make no real contribution.

BroncoBowlby 88
04-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I think it's a good pick up. Look at the vets. the young guys (DT, Decker, and Willis) had to look up to as a professional WR in the league....Loyde? Even if Stokley shows these young players what it's like to work hard and pick up how Manning works quicker. And not even just the WR's but the whole locker room will gain from such a player. I say good pick up even if he doesn't play a lot.

chazoe60
04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Good solid veteren leadership, clutch third down receptions, has a great relationship with our new QB. Good signing all around.

Dapper Dan
04-16-2012, 09:16 PM
I still love that TD versus Cincinatti a few years ago.

Since leaving the Broncos he lead the Seahawks in receiving in a playoff game against the Bears. He was released by New York because of an injury.

He's 35. I see him contributing a season or two. Then retiring as a Bronco.

BroncoNut
04-17-2012, 08:21 AM
awesome. Because he and Peyton played together and they are used to each other's game.

TXBRONC
04-17-2012, 09:03 AM

I don't think this is as significant of signing as some might think. Yes Stokely is very familar with Manning but so what he's 35 years old has had a lot problems staying healthy enough to stay on the field.

claymore
04-17-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't think this is as significant of signing as some might think. Yes Stokely is very familar with Manning but so what he's 35 years old has had a lot problems staying healthy enough to stay on the field.

Worst case he can show Decker how to prepare for Manning... From a leadership standpoint, I think its a big deal. If Stokley actually contributes that much on the field we were in worse shape WR wise thna I thought.

TXBRONC
04-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Worst case he can show Decker how to prepare for Manning... From a leadership standpoint, I think its a big deal. If Stokley actually contributes that much on the field we were in worse shape WR wise thna I thought.

So every other receiver needs an interpreture because Manning is incapable of communicating what he wants?

claymore
04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
So every other receiver needs an interpreture because Manning is incapable of communicating what he wants?

IMO, I think mannings preperation and leadership is something our recievers are unacustomed to. I think these guys are going to have to step their game up. Having Stokley around will help ease the transition.

Ravage!!!
04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Not that Manning needs and interpreter, but to have a player that can help the WRs with reads and communication is a nice bonus. Stokes can be a guy during practice that can really help out the WRs with the small things that can make a HUGE difference.

Mannway187
04-17-2012, 11:43 AM

He had made a huge contribution when he helped pursuade Manning to come here. His new assignment will be to teach Decker how to play in the slot. Manning said that the coaches plan is to move Decker around alot next year and Stokely is the guy to help him get comfortable with that role. With DT and Caldwell on the outside and Decker in the slot defenses will be forced to decide which poisen they want Manning to use. DT eats up cornerbacks in single coverage, Caldwell has the speed to stretch the field and force the safety into covering the deep routes, and there isn't a LB in this league who can cover Decker. If the defense finds a way to cover these three Manning will kill em with Dreeson and/or Tamme. Remember how well this worked for the Patriots last year. Except the Patriots didn't have a running back who could gain chunks of yardage the way McGahee does. And now we have a guy who doesn't choke in the red zone. Most of Praters work the next few years will be on XPs and Kick offs. Hell they might even put DT in the slot sometimes just to take advantage of his size. The key for the slot guy is finding the open area and yards after the catch which is what DT and Decker do best. One thing is certain, win or lose, its gonna be entertaining.

Chef Zambini
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I always thought that Denver had a great chance to land Peyton because the Stokelys lived in town. Peyton may have wanted to play here but Mrs. Manning had a close friend in town. It's always easier to relocate for a job when the Mrs. is happy about the new location.

And there was that very large pile of money too.not to mention the big toothy car salesman.

Chef Zambini
04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
He had made a huge contribution when he helped pursuade Manning to come here. His new assignment will be to teach Decker how to play in the slot. Manning said that the coaches plan is to move Decker around alot next year and Stokely is the guy to help him get comfortable with that role. With DT and Caldwell on the outside and Decker in the slot defenses will be forced to decide which poisen they want Manning to use. DT eats up cornerbacks in single coverage, Caldwell has the speed to stretch the field and force the safety into covering the deep routes, and there isn't a LB in this league who can cover Decker. If the defense finds a way to cover these three Manning will kill em with Dreeson and/or Tamme. Remember how well this worked for the Patriots last year. Except the Patriots didn't have a running back who could gain chunks of yardage the way McGahee does. And now we have a guy who doesn't choke in the red zone. Most of Praters work the next few years will be on XPs and Kick offs. Hell they might even put DT in the slot sometimes just to take advantage of his size. The key for the slot guy is finding the open area and yards after the catch which is what DT and Decker do best. One thing is certain, win or lose, its gonna be entertaining.the Denver Bronco QB is going to continue to garner daily media attention, but this year it will be for all the right reasons.

Chef Zambini
04-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Not that Manning needs and interpreter, but to have a player that can help the WRs with reads and communication is a nice bonus. Stokes can be a guy during practice that can really help out the WRs with the small things that can make a HUGE difference.during film study in WR meetings.
a big part of the manning offense is reading defenses and having a course of action, based on match-ups.
bronco fans will have to learn to shut up during offrensive play-calling.

TheReverend
04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Many just aren't looking at this signing right.

We have 2 young, extremely talented, but VERY raw WRs that no little of polish or NFL preparation considering their biggest vet WR experience was with Brandon Lloyd, infamous for being lazy and not preparing for games.

By adding Stokely, you not only address that (hell, he made a career out of and EPITOMIZES "polish" and "preparation"), but you also add someone with a wealth of experience playing with Peyton and the intricacies involved (from no-huddle to breaking off routes when he wants it, etc).

Quite frankly, Stokely was the perfect acquisition even if he takes a total of 0 reg season snaps.

Softskull
04-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Many just aren't looking at this signing right.

We have 2 young, extremely talented, but VERY raw WRs that no little of polish or NFL preparation considering their biggest vet WR experience was with Brandon Lloyd, infamous for being lazy and not preparing for games.

By adding Stokely, you not only address that (hell, he made a career out of and EPITOMIZES "polish" and "preparation"), but you also add someone with a wealth of experience playing with Peyton and the intricacies involved (from no-huddle to breaking off routes when he wants it, etc).

Quite frankly, Stokely was the perfect acquisition even if he takes a total of 0 reg season snaps.

Exactly. Stokely is a WR coach that happens to suit up on Sunday (maybe).

nevcraw
04-17-2012, 07:34 PM
love stokes, glad he's back.. hope he sticks to help coach up the youngins. I also think Willis could a beast as the new stokely..

TimHippo
04-17-2012, 09:04 PM
IMO, I think mannings preperation and leadership is something our recievers are unacustomed to. I think these guys are going to have to step their game up. Having Stokley around will help ease the transition.

He was brutally demanding in Indianapolis. He basically willed Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie into being decent receivers by practicing with them 24-7. If you don't show that kind of dedication with Peyton then he's not going to use you.

Mannway187
04-18-2012, 03:54 AM
One huge part of Stokelys game is his ability to recognise where the ball will be thrown and putting himself in position to become a downfield blocker after the catch. This is why he was in position to make the catch off Marshals deflection in Cinci 3 years ago and why the other Colt recievers, Harrison, Wayne and Clarke were so successful getting yards after the catch. If all he does is teach our guys how to do what he has done for years his signing might be the second best move we've made this offseason.