PDA

View Full Version : UDFA's signings

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Found this website, it seems to be kicking out info pretty quick....

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html

The Broncos have already signed-

DL Everette Pedescleaux (Northern Iowa)
CB Dominique Johnson (Jackson St)
WR Lucas Taylor (Tennessee)
WR Nate Swift (Nebraska)
FB/TE Marquez Brandon (Central Arkansas)
LB Lee Robinson (Alcorn State)
DT Chris Baker (Hampton)
CB Tony Carter (FSU)
DE Rulon Davis (Cal)
WR David Grimes (Notre Dame)
P Britton Colquitt (Tennessee)
OT Stanley Bryant (East Carolina)
WR Travis Shelton (Temple)
RB Kestahn Moore (Florida)
OT Marcus Gordon (Kentucky State)

Enjoy...

ikillz0mbies
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Nice find!

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow shit that was fast...

weazel
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
the jags and panthers have signed an entire new offense! well, almost

Fan in Exile
04-26-2009, 08:59 PM

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html

DL Everette Pedescleaux (Northern Iowa) <----Sweet, a DT!

Enjoy...

The National Football Post has Pedescleax listed as the fifth best DE in the draft.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/nfp-specialty-rankings-3-4-defense/

weazel
04-26-2009, 09:00 PM
The National Football Post has Pedescleax listed as the fifth best DE in the draft.

sadly, all that matters is where Mayock placed him... :tsk:

ikillz0mbies
04-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Everette Pedescleaux has great size at 6'6" 305 lbs. I'd like to see him make the team and see what he can do.

Tned
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
sadly, all that matters is where Mayock placed him... :tsk:

Geeez. Come on, give it a rest man.

weazel
04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
well he is a plug for sure. Lets hope he is a great find

weazel
04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Geeez. Come on, give it a rest man.

LMAO, sorry man, I just couldnt let that one go. It was a perfect setup! :laugh:

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Two local guy's have signed with the Jaguars...

CU DT George Hypolite
CSU RB Kyle Bell

*Would not mind us signing CSU TE Kory Sperry...

weazel
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM

CU DT George Hypolite
CSU RB Kyle Bell

is it a prerequisite to playing RB at CSU that your last name be Bell? Funny Shanny didnt somehow pick him.

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Mizzou QB Chase "Booger" Daniel to the Skins...

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Broncos sign Nebraska WR Nate Swift

SBboundBRONCOS
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
i really want to sign QB Chase Patton from Mizzou, he could be a nice PS project

doubt it happens though

ikillz0mbies
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
i really want to sign QB Chase Patton from Mizzou, he could be a nice PS project

doubt it happens though

My darkhorse is still unsigned...you know what to do McDaniels!

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM

CU DT George Hypolite
CSU RB Kyle Bell

Good to see Hypolite get picked up. :beer:

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 09:56 PM

Enjoy...

about Everette...

A 'poor man's' Tyson Jackson, he will need to get stronger to be a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE, but he has the raw tools.

I remember when Dumervill came out they were calling him a poor mans Freeney...:laugh:

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM

doubt it happens though

He really could be "the Next Matt Cassell", he had exact same college career.......

SBboundBRONCOS
04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/lee_robinson_video/

denver post says we signed him too, http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12234124

somewhere near the bottom

Lonestar
04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
One guy to keep an eye on is Pedescleaux. The 6-6, 305-pound lineman has ideal size, athletic ability and length but needs time to develop in an NFL scheme. He possesses a very intriguing skill set for the position and could definitely develop into a starter.

shank
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
the 9ers got brandon long. i was intrigued by him, but he must have had a terrible attitude to become a UDFA with his measurables...

6'4" 250
40 yd dash: 4.58 seconds
225 lbs bench press: 33 reps
Vertical jump: 37.5 inches
Broad jump: 10 ft 9 inches

oh well. worrell is still out there! as is chris baker.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
One guy to keep an eye on is Pedescleaux. The 6-6, 305-pound lineman has ideal size, athletic ability and length but needs time to develop in an NFL scheme. He possesses a very intriguing skill set for the position and could definitely develop into a starter.

A 'poor man's' Tyson Jackson, he will need to get stronger to be a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE, but he has the raw tools.

:beer:

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:26 PM
the 9ers got brandon long. i was intrigued by him, but he must have had a terrible attitude to become a UDFA with his measurables...

6'4" 250
40 yd dash: 4.58 seconds
225 lbs bench press: 33 reps
Vertical jump: 37.5 inches
Broad jump: 10 ft 9 inches

oh well. worrell is still out there! as is chris baker.

You don't want Chris Baker. Talk about off the field problems...

Measurables don't always mean everything.

shank
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
You don't want Chris Baker. Talk about off the field problems...

Measurables don't always mean everything.

i'll admit that i have a bit of NT-tunnel-vision

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:29 PM
i'll admit that i have a bit of NT-tunnel-vision

Was dismissed from Penn State for off the field incidents. Overpowering at Hampton but it was against inferior competition. Could have used another year of seasoning to add polish to his game. Motor runs hot and cold.

:cool:

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Scouting report for Bronco UDFA LB Lee Robinson-

Seems alright...

Overview
Very solid physically and mentally made the 1st Team All-SWAC team as a senior collecting 111 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions returned for 66 yards and 1 touchdown and three forced fumbles. The four-year starter finished his 43 game career with: 334 tackles, 51.5 TFLs 20.5 sacks, 7 forced funbles, 11 PBUs and 3 picks.

Robinson attended Amite County High School lettering in baseball, basketball, football and excelled in track/field he was a state champion in long jump and triple jump as a senior. He also was named Defensive Player of the Year and All-American during his junior year and named All-American his senior year.

Late note: Lee performed reasonably well at the NFL Combine and put up 24 bench reps.

Strengths
Powerful did 24 reps at the combine at 225 and is far from top-heavy, he also has a powerful lower body. Robinson’s superior athletic ability/size combo out there even if you’re not looking for it. He didn’t take plays off at Alcorn, he has consistent burst off the snap, ability to fight through blocks, and finishes when he gets in range. Hustled despite his team only having 2 wins this season.

Weaknesses
Teams will wonder if he is a 3-4 ILB, OLB or a 4-3 'Sam' he is very raw in coverage, but it seems he has the natural athletic ability to learn. His lateral quickness and driving through bigger ball carriers are also areas that could use improvement.

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Chris Baker, NT Hampton just signed...

There you go, ShawShank!

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM

There you go, ShawShank!

:eek::eek::eek:

SBboundBRONCOS
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM

There you go, ShawShank!

i dont care about red flags right now . . . we need fatties :beer:

shank
04-26-2009, 10:56 PM

There you go, ShawShank!

hey, we got our NT prospect!

(just to clear up, i really don't like him because of his off-field stuff, but we needed to bring in competition at NT... maybe he has matured, and maybe he can play the position that many of us feel we still really need).

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
hey, we got our NT prospect!

(just to clear up, i really don't like him because of his off-field stuff, but we needed to bring in competition at NT... maybe he has matured, and maybe he can play the position that many of us feel we still really need).

We have seem to gone after a lot of D line in free agency. No harm in that!! Nothing worse than spending big money in the early rounds...*cough cough* ...*moss, crowder* only to have them turn out busts.

Italianmobstr7
04-26-2009, 11:00 PM

There you go, ShawShank!

I love C Baker. I loved him when he was at Penn State. Just wish he could stay out of trouble. He was a very good player at PSU. If it wasn't for his off the field problems he would've been selected somewhere in the draft.

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:01 PM

CU DT George Hypolite
CSU RB Kyle Bell

Kyle Bell was pretty big here for awhile. There was a ton of talk the season previous to this past one when he broke an ankle (if I remember correctly) Wish him luck.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow. This is awesome. We picked up DT Chris Baker and Everette Pedescleaux. Awesome!!

Thnikkaman
04-26-2009, 11:05 PM
I'll take anyone off the UNI defense. They have consistently been in the 2A playoffs, and can compete with most BCS teams.

Italianmobstr7
04-26-2009, 11:05 PM
We got Tony Carter from FSU!? He's good too! At least he was in college.

Buff
04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I wonder about the legitimacy of that list... Has Jacksonville really signed 18 guys?

shank
04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Wow. This is awesome. We picked up DT Chris Baker and Everette Pedescleaux. Awesome!!

lee robinson has me intrigued as well. from all the info i can find on him, i'm pretty surprised he wasn't drafted.

worrell williams, sam swank, bret helmsare still out there

consensus draft services had robinson as a possible 4th, most likely 5th round pick.

bcbronc
04-26-2009, 11:12 PM
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/lee_robinson_video/

denver post says we signed him too, http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12234124

somewhere near the bottom

from the article:

More coming. To review, the Broncos signed 12 free agents and added 10 draft picks for 22 new players. And the Broncos plan to sign another 13 to 18 undrafted free agents today. In previous years, the Broncos generally signed six undrafted free agents.

me thinks people will be happier tomorrow than they were at the end of the draft today.

already added at least 3 bodies to the front 7 mix. who needs to waste draft picks when there is all these treasures just lying around!

UberBroncoMan
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM

CU DT George Hypolite
CSU RB Kyle Bell

Apparently the Chargers agreed with you because Sperry is now a backup to Gates.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
lee robinson has me intrigued as well. from all the info i can find on him, i'm pretty surprised he wasn't drafted.

worrell williams, sam swank, bret helmsare still out there

consensus draft services had robinson as a possible 4th, most likely 5th round pick.

I want Worrell Williams pretty bad, but he's probably too short for Nolan and McDaniels' taste :(

Edit works after a year? Sweet!!! :werd:

bcbronc
04-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Enjoy...

it would be kewl if the OP could update the list as more signings are announced.

:beer:

aberdien
04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Sweet, we got Nate Swift. As a Nebraska fan, I must say I think he has alot of potential as a slot receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83viEU_iUIo

All bias aside, I really think he could fit nicely.

shank
04-26-2009, 11:28 PM
CB Dominique Johnson (Jackson St) has been added to that list
Height: 6-13/8 | Weight: 197 | 40-Time: 4.59
Domonique Johnson | Jackson St. Tigers
Official Bio

Stars
Strengths:
Prototypical height and bulk with long arms...Very athletic...Great timed speed...Has a burst to recover...Physical and aggressive...Good strength...Solid tackler...Nice instincts and awareness...Smooth with fluid hips... Excellent hands and ball skills ...Real confident...Versatile.

Weaknesses:
Did not always play against top competition...Is too aggressive at times...Has some technique issues that need to be ironed out...Doesn't necessarily play to his measurables...Has clashed with coaches and character might be a concern...Durability's an issue...Bit of a 'tweener.

Notes:
Also being looked at as a potential safety prospect...Began his college career at Missouri and actually started six games there in 2005 and 2006...Transferred to Jackson St. following his redshirt sophomore season...Was a 2nd Team FCS All-American and 1st Team All-SWAC in 2008...Helped lead the Tigers to the SWAC Championship game both seasons he was with them and was even named the Defensive MVP in 2007...Dealt with minor knee and shoulder injuries in college...Talented player with a pretty intriguing set of triangle numbers...Was a big fish in a small pond at the Division I-AA level and didn't necessarily look like he would be an early round pick while at Mizzou...Should be one of the top small-school prospects available but isn't close to being in the same class as Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

12 career interceptions.

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Apparently the Chargers agreed with you because Sperry is now a backup to Gates.

The Dolts? Damn the luck....Well, I'll be rooting against him and Vincent Jackson twice a year now...

Elevation inc
04-27-2009, 12:59 AM
wow, chris baker was supposedly on carolinas radar in rd 3....he is a steal for us, trust me he is a player, everrette P the DE is a steal as well. MUG and I really liked him a bunch. robinson is ILB depth we needed. jackson gives us CB depth. Seriously belive it or not there have been more pro bowl and succesful players taken in UDFA in the last ten years then the 6th and seventh rd combined. just think about are top 3 undrafted FA last year like brett kern, Wesely woodyard and tyler polumbus, they are all great contributors......

Nomad
04-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the list/updates, hopefully this Baker kid and Everette P kid works out. It would be a steal if they did!!

broncofaninfla
04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
LOVEthe Baker and Pedescleaux signings. Hoping we sign Mitch King too.

Dirk
04-27-2009, 07:51 AM
i don't care if I will ever be able to pronounce Pedescleaux if he pans out!

Good signing...

ikillz0mbies
04-27-2009, 08:01 AM
DE Rulon Davis (Cal) was added to the list.

The three others are:

TE Marquez Branson (Central Arkansas)

BigDaddyBronco
04-27-2009, 08:12 AM
I wonder what kicker they are going to bring in to compete with Prater.

Dirk
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM

Good question. I like Prater and think he has tons of potential...it's that 2nd half of the season that has me worried about him. :confused:

LRtagger
04-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Did Gano make it to FA? He's a stud kicker. I thought he would get drafted in the 5th/6th.

EDIT: I see the Ravens picked him up as an UDFA.

ikillz0mbies
04-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Did Gano make it to FA? He's a stud kicker. I thought he would get drafted in the 5th/6th.

According to the site, Gano got picked up by the Ravens.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Broncos
DE Rulon Davis (Cal)
WR Nate Swift (Nebraska)
DT Chris Baker (Hampton)
CB Tony Carter (FSU)

Northman
04-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Did the kid from Utah get picked? I dont remember seeing any kickers taken but i wasnt watching super closely yesterday. If not, bring him and Swank in.

broncohead
04-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Glad we got Baker. After most of the other big guys where gone I thought he would be a good pickup.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Did the kid from Utah get picked? I dont remember seeing any kickers taken but i wasnt watching super closely yesterday. If not, bring him and Swank in.

This link shows who was drafted - you can select by name, by position, or by college

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1

Fan in Exile
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
My only question at this point is why haven't we brought in a Kicker, or did I miss something. Even if you think Prater is going to make the team we still need someone for training camp.

Flatinum
04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
DE Rulon Davis (Cal) was added to the list.

The three others are:

A Broncos DE named Rulon.....I like it.

Flatinum
04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
After reading this I'm hoping this guy can make the team.

Rulon Davis - DE California

Notes:
Graduated from high school in 2001 but then served in the Marines for more than three years and was deployed in Iraq...Played at Mt. San Antonio Junior College in 2004...Redshirted in 2005 after an accident in which his legs were run over by a semi...Transferred to Cal in 2006 and played in 6 games before his season was cut short by illness and injury...Started 3 games in 2007 but once again had his season derailed by injuries, this time to his foot and knee...Started 7 times in 2008 but missed give games with a broken foot...Will be 26-years-old as a rookie...Interesting prospect with the ability to be a left defensive end in a 4-3 defense or possibly even a five-technique in a 3-4 scheme

nevcraw
04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
After reading this I'm hoping this guy can make the team.

Rulon Davis - DE California

Notes:
Graduated from high school in 2001 but then served in the Marines for more than three years and was deployed in Iraq...Played at Mt. San Antonio Junior College in 2004...Redshirted in 2005 after an accident in which his legs were run over by a semi...Transferred to Cal in 2006 and played in 6 games before his season was cut short by illness and injury...Started 3 games in 2007 but once again had his season derailed by injuries, this time to his foot and knee...Started 7 times in 2008 but missed give games with a broken foot...Will be 26-years-old as a rookie...Interesting prospect with the ability to be a left defensive end in a 4-3 defense or possibly even a five-technique in a 3-4 scheme

i heard this kid on the the NFL channel on sirius about a month a go.. Great inspirational story!!
I too hope he makes the team.. can't bet against him with all he's had to overcome.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Why a punter? :confused:

Wasn't Kern near the top of the league in net average with punts?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Johnson is a cornerback I really liked and he has a shot to make the team as a special team guy or fifth reserve. Baker is interesting, but the guy went undrafted for a reason. He was kicked out of Penn State and played against marginal competition. We potentially have a project there at nose tackle; but I'm not going to hold my breath. Otherwise, I'm less than impressed with that UDFA list.

underrated29
04-27-2009, 10:55 AM

The Broncos have already signed- (according to the link or KFFL)

WR Nate Swift (Nebraska)
FB/TE Marquez Brandon (Central Arkansas)
DT Chris Baker (Hampton)
CB Tony Carter (FSU)
DE Rulon Davis (Cal)

Enjoy...

Alright- very excited about paulescuex and rulon davis- i liked both of them as picks in the draft.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Pretty hard to get excited over a guy who had a crushed leg and another DE who wasn't even a starter a majority of his time at an extremely small program. I wish I shared your enthusiasm, U29.

underrated29
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
how about my boy- the WR stroughter- is he a ufda?

**edit- dam bucs took him in the 7th. Great pick by them.

A-holes.:tsk:

shank
04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
wonder why lee robinson isn't on this list yet... hope that's official cause i'm excited about him.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
wonder why lee robinson isn't on this list yet... hope that's official cause i'm excited about him.

If you are talking about this guy, he is on the Broncos' list:

honz
04-27-2009, 12:36 PM

No, and Sakoda is a stud. He can kick, punt, and is clutch as hell. I'd love to bring him in for competition.

shank
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
If you are talking about this guy, he is on the Broncos' list:

oh lol... well then:

dream what do you think about robinson? sound like he has all the tools to be an inside linebacker. draft consensus services also had him as a 5th (possible 4th) round pick. i'm really excited about him as a UDFA.

Nomad
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
MUG had a good introduction of Chris Baker back at BM! So here's the link if your interested! Packer's scouts beleived he was the 2nd best NT behind Raji! Feel free to add the links here as my computer skills lack!:D

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=143039

shank
04-27-2009, 01:03 PM
warming up to baker as a person. he's saying the right things, so we'll see if he follows through.

i think he has a good chance of making the team considering the lack of depth at NT, as well as the fact that he is versatile. he's one of those players, like McD talked about a few days ago, that can play the nose, or kick out to DE in order to keep people fresh while only suiting up 5-6 guys on the line.

nj10
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Ahh piss...The Chargers got Charly Martin

GEM
04-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Pretty hard to get excited over a guy who had a crushed leg and another DE who wasn't even a starter a majority of his time at an extremely small program. I wish I shared your enthusiasm, U29.

That's what I thought as well as I read it....Inspirational story, but it sounds like his body has already been through hell.

Superchop 7
04-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Baker and Pedescleaux have a shot.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Latest:

Broncos
DE Rulon Davis (Cal)
WR Nate Swift (Nebraska)
WR Travis Shelton, Temple
DT Chris Baker (Hampton)
LB Lee Robinson (Alcorn St)
CB Tony Carter (FSU)
P Britton Colquitt (Tennessee

Fan in Exile
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Still no kicker?

Am I the only one who finds that troubling?

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Anybody want to fill me in with insight as to why we signed a punter when Kern was near the top in net punt yard averagas?

Shouldn't we be getting a kicker to compete with Prater? :confused:

bcbronc
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Anybody want to fill me in with insight as to why we signed a punter when Kern was near the top in net punt yard averagas?

don't want to wear out your Punters leg through mini camps and preseason. always good to have competition and to get a look at a guy in case of injury.

CoachChaz
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM

It's a UDFA...no big deal.

And dont forget that Prater did VERY well the first half of the season. it wasnt until after his injury that he started missing.

shank
04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Still no kicker?

Am I the only one who finds that troubling?

i really feel like prater is our guy... but i still want competition to push him to BECOME our guy. i'm a little worried now because the guy i liked, sam swank, signed with the eagles.

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM

Dude, it's a Colquitt!

Drill-N-Fill
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Chris Baker

Strengths: Adequate build in the upper and lower body. Good quickness off the snap. Gets his hands into his man's jersey quickly, attacks a shoulder and constantly works to the quarterback. Can also extend his arms inside the numbers to get leverage and push into the backfield. Also able to stand up his man on run plays, use his upper-body strength to move him to either side and make a play on the ball. Uses arm-over move and violent hands to shoot the gap inside. Will split double-team blocks to pressure the passer. At end, he held his ground against the run and used his strength, hands and quickness to get by offensive tackles one-on-one. Shows fairly quick feet, can stay off cut blocks, chase down the line and hustle downfield to get to the ball. Doesn't back down from anyone.

Athletic defensive lineman with the ability to be used at several spots upfront. Plays with good pad level, leverage, and is explosive at the point. Possesses good first-step quickness, covers a lot of area on the field, and rarely off his feet. Instinctive, quickly locates the ball, and effectively uses his hands to protect himself. Powerful, gets a lot of push up the field, and is tough to handle. Chases hard to get involved in the action, and plays with a great degree of suddenness, flashing on the scene. Effectively uses his hands, jolts opponents with good punch to get off blocks. Forces the issue, collapsing the pocket or sliding down the line to make plays. Fluid moving about the field. Lined up over right tackle in Hampton's 3-4 alignment last year.

Chris Baker is one of the most intriguing DTs in this draft for me. I think athletically is his a beast, his speed, strength and ability to play both the pass and run makes those who know a lot about him, his size, his production at Hampton and legitimacy by moving to Hampton from a team like Penn State will draw a lot of attention. Baker can stand up and man-handle a lot of OL, does a good job controlling the line of scrimmage and has the burst through the line to create pressure. Any man who is 6'2" tall and weighs 326 lbs. but can still run a 4.94 40 Yard Dash, 35.5 Inch Vertical leap and can play both DT and DE and be effective, is someone who deserves a very close look.

Weaknesses: Could work harder against double teams inside and too often stands around after initial contact. Must improve his awareness on misdirections and screens. Stamina is an issue, will be best as part of a rotation. Showed potential in Happy Valley, but his senior season production came against a lower level of competition at a position he might not play in the NFL. Character issues abound based on his record at Penn State.

Dismissed from the Penn State program after off-the-field issues. Built more like a natural defensive tackle.

broncohead
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Baker was or best UFA signing. Great pickup. I thought he would be a good pick in the
5th

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
It's a UDFA...no big deal.

And dont forget that Prater did VERY well the first half of the season. it wasnt until after his injury that he started missing.

I'm not down on Prater, I just think he needs some competition this offseason.

I don't think Prater ever had a leg injury last season though...

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
don't want to wear out your Punters leg through mini camps and preseason. always good to have competition and to get a look at a guy in case of injury.

Ah I see. Thank You.

I still think we need to bring in a kicker to compete with Prater. Competition makes players work harder and play better IMO...

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Ah I see. Thank You.

I still think we need to bring in a kicker to compete with Prater. Competition makes players work harder and play better IMO...

The Colquitts are very good punters. His big brother Dustin is Kansas City's punter and one of the better punters in the league and his father was punter for two of the Super Bowl teams of Pittsburgh in the 70s.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
The Colquitts are very good punters. His big brother Dustin is Kansas City's punter and one of the better punters in the league and his father was punter for two of the Super Bowl teams of Pittsburgh in the 70s.

He must be a hellava punter considering the fact that he went undrafted :lol:

Ravage!!!
04-27-2009, 04:43 PM

:beer: Dead on. If this Colquit is nearly as good as his brother in KC.... that would be OUTSTANDING. The kid in KC is VERY good.

Ravage!!!
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM

How many punters were drafted??

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM

He was second-team All American in 2007, if that means anything to you?

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
:beer: Dead on. If this Colquit is nearly as good as his brother in KC.... that would be OUTSTANDING. The kid in KC is VERY good.

There's a cousin too, but I don't think he played in the NFL.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
How many punters were drafted??

Three punters were drafted:

Kevin Huber went in the 5th round to the Bengals

Pat McAfee went in the 7th round to the Colts

Thomas Morstead went in the 5th round to the Saints

Any more questions?

I just hope this kid doesn't beat out Kern, because I think Kern is a hellava punter. Just keep him here to keep Kern's leg fresh. We need to do the same with a kicker to compete with Prater.

I can't believe we let Garrett Hartley go :tsk:

MOtorboat
04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Any more questions?

Yes, can you pick me up a sixer while you're at the store. I'm thirsty, and I've had a long day.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, can you pick me up a sixer while you're at the store. I'm thirsty, and I've had a long day.

Get it yourself...

Ravage!!!
04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
T

I just hope this kid doesn't beat out Kern, because I think Kern is a hellava punter. Just keep him here to keep Kern's leg fresh. We need to do the same with a kicker to compete with Prater.

I can't believe we let Garrett Hartley go :tsk:

THat doesn't make sense to me. If Kern is beat out, that means he's beat out by the better player. Why would you want the weaker player on the field simply because you like him?

Personally, I'm the other way around. I hope this kid is good enough to beat out Kern. NOt because I think Kern is bad or I don't like him, but it means that since Kern was a pretty good punter, this kid must be even BETTER to beat him out. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

yardog
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Make that two if I have to listen to all this kicker talk.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
THat doesn't make sense to me. If Kern is beat out, that means he's beat out by the better player. Why would you want the weaker player on the field simply because you like him?

Personally, I'm the other way around. I hope this kid is good enough to beat out Kern. NOt because I think Kern is bad or I don't like him, but it means that since Kern was a pretty good punter, this kid must be even BETTER to beat him out. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

You're automatically assuming that Colquitt is better than Kern with your statement. Kern was top 10 in net punting yards last season...

BroncoWave
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
You're automatically assuming that Colquitt is better than Kern with your statement. Kern was top 10 in net punting yards last season...

How in the hell did you reach THIS conclusion from his statement?

He said that he HOPES Colquitt is better because that would make our punting position stronger than it is with Kern. He never said anything resembling what you claimed.

2Fity@The303
04-27-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12239714

Denver post story...

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9003

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- One day after rounding out a draft class that features 10 players on both sides of the ball, the Broncos have added to their incoming rookie class.

On Monday, the team announced the addition of 15 undrafted free agents. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Among the signees is former Penn State defensive lineman Chris Baker, who finished his collegiate career at Hampton. At 6-foot-2, weighing 326 pounds, he showed versatility for the Pirates, playing at defensive end and nose tackle in the 3-4 alignment. He earned first-team All-MEAC honors with 62 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks in 2008. Athletic, Baker finished in the top 10 among defensive linemen at the Combine in the vertical jump.

Another member of the group was a standout player along the defensive line in college -- 6-foot-5, 281-pound University of California defensive end Rulon Davis. A former Marine who spent time in Iraq, Davis switched to the defensive side of the ball in junior college after playing on the offensive line throughout high school. He was picked up by the Golden Bears, and in three seasons he flashed NFL-caliber talent -- he posted four sacks and two forced fumbles in just seven starts as senior. Interesting tidbit: he was actually named after former Bronco Rulon Jones.

The rest of the crop consists of Central Arkansas tight end Marquez Branson, East Carolina offensive tackle Stanley Bryant, Florida State cornerback Tony Carter, Tennessee punter Britton Colquitt, Kentucky State offensive tackle Marcus Gordon, Notre Dame wide receiver David Grimes, Jackson State cornerback D.J. Johnson, Florida running back Kestahn Moore, Northern Iowa defensive end Everette Pedescleaux, Alcorn State inside linebacker Lee Robinson, Temple return specialist/wide receiver Travis Shelton, Nebraska wide receiver Nate Swift and Tennessee wide receiver Lucas Taylor.

MORE ON THE ROOKIES

Branson is a solid H-back prospect -- he lacks tremendous size to be a blocker -- 6-foot-2, 247 -- but his tenacity helps him in that department. His real value lies with his receiving skills. He has led Central Arkansas with 18 touchdown receptions since joining the team in 2006, and earned All-Southland Conference first-team honors last season by averaging 16.4 yards per catch.

Bryant, according to some scouts, possesses the footwork and skill to play on the weak side of the offensive line in the NFL. Just a two-year starter, his senior season was cut short after a knee injury sidelined him five games in. When he did play, however, he was a big-time blocker, paving the way for five 100-yard individual rushing games by current Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson when he was at ECU in 2007.

Carter was one of only three defenders to play in and start all 13 games for the Seminoles in 2008, part of 33 consecutive starts to end his career at FSU. He earned All-ACC second-team honors after leading his team with two interceptions as a senior to bring his career tally to nine. The coaching staff named him the leader of the secondary, and the title fit -- he was the leading tackler among Florida State's cornerbacks last season, as well.

Colquitt is a familiar name at Tennessee -- he's the fourth Colquitt to play for the Vols -- and in the NFL -- his brother Dustin punts for the Kansas City Chiefs. Many scouts believe Britton has the size, leg strength and refined technique to make a successful transition to the NFL. After all, he was at one point in his career a consensus first-team All-SEC punter -- he had only one kick blocked in four years at UT.

Gordon transferred to Kentucky State after starting his career at Louisville. He redshirted in 2005 before battling for a starting guard position. Before that he was a two-year starter at offensive tackle at Highland Community College, where he was named the team's best offensive lineman and voted Honorable Mention All-Conference.

Grimes was one of three captains for Notre Dame in 2008 along with fourth-round draft pick David Bruton. He recorded 55 career receptions for 579 yards with four touchdowns for the Irish, also making a name for himself on special teams, averaging 23.7 yards on 36 returns in his first two seasons. He lined up in the slot and out wide in various formations throughout his career.

Johnson was certainly a playmaker at Jackson State. He transferred from Missouri after starting four games as a redshirt sophomore in 2006, and made a name for himself playing for the Tigers. A 2008 first-team All-SWAC pick, he intercepted 10 passes and deflected 27 the past two seasons. In fact, he became so successful that teams stoped challenging him on the outside, so he played some free safety to take advantage of his playmaking ability.

Moore, a 2008 team captain for the National Champion Florida Gators, appeared in 53 games with 21 starts in his career. He totaled 1,281 yards on 235 carries for a 5.5-yard average and scored 13 rushing touchdowns in his tenure at UF. He played in all 14 games as a senior, averaging 4.9 yards per carry with four touchdowns. He was named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll as a junior in 2007.

Pedescleaux transferred from the University of Minnesota to close out his collegiate career at Northern Iowa. He recorded 62 tackles, 11 1/2 tackles for loss and 6 1/2 sacks to earn All-Missouri Valley Conference first-team honors last season. He blocked six kicks at Northern Iowa, as well, where he also played on the basketball team. In fact, he signed with Minnesota as a basketball player before transferring.

Robinson was an extremely productive linebacker at Alcorn State. He made the first-team All-SWAC team as a senior, collecting 111 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions and three forced fumbles. His senior campaign was no fluke -- the four-year starter had 223 tackles, 33.5 for loss, entering 2008. NFL scouts have said that Robinson could be a potential starter at rush linebacker in the 3-4 scheme.

Shelton leaves Temple as the school's all-time leader in kick return yards with 2,507, shattering the previous record by almost 1,000 yards. He averaged 31.3 yards per return last season, leading the nation. As a senior, he played in 11 games with four starts. He finished his career with 64 catches for 784 and four touchdowns.

Swift, at 6-foot-1, 2-3, has the size to be an NFL receiver. He averaging 34 catches, 522 yards and four touchdowns in his first three seasons at Nebraska before upping his game in 2008. He led the Cornhuskers with 69 catches for 941 yards and 10 touchdowns to go along with 23 punt returns for 296 yards and a touchdown. His play earned him honorable mention All-Big 12 honors. As his name would hint, Swift has deceptive speed -- he tied for sixth among receivers at the Combine in the three-cone drill. He also went to high school with current Bronco Mitch Erickson.

Taylor was named All-SEC second team by the Associated Press in 2007, finishing second and third in the conference with 1,000 receiving yards and 73 catches, respectively. His stats dropped off in 2008, but he still caught 26 passes for 332 yards and a touchdown. Taylor reportedly posted a 4.36-second time in the 40-yard dash, a 36-inch vertical jump and 14 bench-press repetitions of 225 pounds at the University of Tennessee's Pro Day.

bcbronc
04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Shelton leaves Temple as the school's all-time leader in kick return yards with 2,507, shattering the previous record by almost 1,000 yards. He averaged 31.3 yards per return last season, leading the nation. As a senior, he played in 11 games with four starts. He finished his career with 64 catches for 784 and four touchdowns.

that's kind of sexy. iinm, 31.3 yards per return was tops in the nation. I love how McDaniels is bringing in PROVEN special teamers--guys that excelled at it in college. no way we have the leagues worst field position again this year.

I can't believe they signed 15 UDFAs. but I like the common phrases that keep coming up in their scouting reports: hard working...smart...versatile...played more than one position...physical...athletic. Not every one has all those adjectives, but they all have more than one.

getlynched47
04-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Here you go guys:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/4/27/856974/broncos-sign-15-college-free-agents

This is an overview of EVERY undrafted free agent we signed so far. A very very good read. Enjoy.

Chris Baker (6-foot-2, 326 pounds) is a rookie defensive tackle from Hampton University who joined the Broncos as a college free agent on April 27, 2009... Totaled 69 tackles (32 solo), 8.5 sacks (60 yds.) and one blocked kick in 11 games (8 starts) in his only season at Hampton in 2008 after transferring from Penn State University, where he earned a starting role as a sophomore in 2007... Recorded 43 tackles (21 solo) and 4.5 sacks (37 yds.) in 20 games (8 starts) during his two seasons playing for Penn State (2006-07)... Helped the Nittany Lions' defense finish No. 7 in the nation against the run as a starter in 2007, allowing only 87.9 rushing yards per game, and led the defensive line with 37 tackles, including 4.5 sacks (37 yds.)... Saw time as a reserve in eight games for Penn State as a redshirt freshman in 2006... Competed at several defensive line positions during his collegiate career at both Hampton and Penn State... Played three seasons of football at Windsor High School in Windsor, Conn.... Competed in basketball only during his sophomore prep season... Voted senior class president at Windsor High School... Christopher Isaiah Baker was born on Oct. 8, 1987, in Windsor, Conn.

I can't post the entire article due to copyright issues......so please follow the link. You won't be disappointed.

Simple Jaded
04-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Colquit has had his issues too, the smart thing about the character risks that Doogie is taking, they're undrafted free agents.

I'd be willing to be Colquit beats out Kern.......

Elevation inc
04-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Colquit has had his issues too, the smart thing about the character risks that Doogie is taking, they're undrafted free agents.

I'd be willing to be Colquit beats out Kern.......

this is very true, This is what i like about him over shanny, shanny took his risks early and often even with seniors who had problems

MCD may have gotten worked value wise by some vet GM's because he is on a rookie learning curve, but after 13 years of poor drafting shanny was still doing just as bad.

we drafted team captains and leaders, and while the value is off i liek the players, i am impressed he drafts high leadership types early and draft his pet projects in UDFA where the risk is minimal.

that is a good recipre for succesful drafting. and next year we could see a improvement in value that MCD gets as he becomes more familiar with the draft. his rookie stripes showed in some aspects, but i am not upset with the players we have obtained, just some of the value.

whith shannys draft i was always pissed of at the players and the value.....

colquitt is a great punter to.......kern wasnt a bad punter he was good, our punt coverage just sucked, but it wouldnt suprise me if colquitt beat him out. in any case they were both UDFA so if kern gets beat out it wasnt a wasted pick...lol

Simple Jaded
04-28-2009, 03:03 AM
this is very true, This is what i like about him over shanny, shanny took his risks early and often even with seniors who had problems

MCD may have gotten worked value wise by some vet GM's because he is on a rookie learning curve, but after 13 years of poor drafting shanny was still doing just as bad.

we drafted team captains and leaders, and while the value is off i liek the players, i am impressed he drafts high leadership types early and draft his pet projects in UDFA where the risk is minimal.

that is a good recipre for succesful drafting. and next year we could see a improvement in value that MCD gets as he becomes more familiar with the draft. his rookie stripes showed in some aspects, but i am not upset with the players we have obtained, just some of the value.

whith shannys draft i was always pissed of at the players and the value.....

colquitt is a great punter to.......kern wasnt a bad punter he was good, our punt coverage just sucked, but it wouldnt suprise me if colquitt beat him out. in any case they were both UDFA so if kern gets beat out it wasnt a wasted pick...lol

Nobody makes the mistakes that Doogie has made, Shanahan was never this bad.......Cutler's trade, Smith's trade (Well, Mike Nolan has made this mistake too) and Cutler's attitude would have never happened on Shanahan's team.

Give Shanahan his due, he made great trades and he didn't let players play him like Cutler played Doogie.

Personally, I think it's debatable whether Doogie getting his ass handed to him by GM's/Cutler was due to inexperience or incompetence.......I think he's incompetent, these are mistakes that nobody makes.......

SBboundBRONCOS
04-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Nobody makes the mistakes that Doogie has made, Shanahan was never this bad.......Cutler's trade, Smith's trade (Well, Mike Nolan has made this mistake too) and Cutler's attitude would have never happened on Shanahan's team.

Give Shanahan his due, he made great trades and he didn't let players play him like Cutler played Doogie.

Personally, I think it's debatable whether Doogie getting his ass handed to him by GM's/Cutler was due to inexperience or incompetence.......I think he's incompetent, these are mistakes that nobody makes.......

oh please . . . shanahan wasted a first and whatever else we gave up for Moss who is now not even worth a 7th rounder to any team in the league, a first rounder on Lelie . . . nash, foster, middlebrooks,

shanny wasted his fair share of first round picks easily

smith may not ever live up to the eventual pick the seahawks have next year but you have to think what if he turns out to be a good player for 8 years, especially with all the bust around the league hes probably worth it

Elevation inc
04-28-2009, 03:12 AM

shanny made stupid trades jarvis moss was a second rd pick on most boards yet we trade to take him at seveteen, and now we cant even get rid of the guy for a seventh rd pick because he sucks. what about stuff like drafting maurice clarrett in the third rd after the dude didnt play for a year and was a huge character issue. or marcus nash, or daryl gardner or man many many many others.

and no i wont give shanny his due his drafting didnt get better till the goodmans were on his staff, shanny was not the reason for finding guys the last few drafts the goodmans were the major factor

i liked shanny the coach and am still irked he is gone, but he sucked as a GM and i will give a rookie coach a little bit of reprieve after the GM BS shanny did for this team even after 12 years of drafting

its been 1 draft. if they fail the leash becomes almost strangling on MCD but we arent there right now.

Shanny couldnt draft to save his sole. MCd drafted good players he just got took by some vet GM's thats much different than being a 13 year vet at the draft and failing time and time again to bring consistent talent to this team and have it stick all while still getting taken by GM's around the league that know you will bite on everything even though you have been at it for 13 plus years.....

seriosuly link i get your pissed at doogie....and in my opinion its valid to a degree, but i just refuse to get all pissy untill i see the product on the field. if its terrible i will be right there with ya screaming for the dudes head......but that is still many months away.....