PDA

View Full Version : DEN schedule second toughest for 2012

OrangeHoof
04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
So says this excerpt from the Houston Chronicle:

The Texans’ combined opponent record from 2011 is 121-135, a .473 win percentage. That’s ranked 29th in the NFL, easier than all but Buffalo (.473), Green Bay (.469) and New England (.453).

The Patriots lost to the Giants in last year’s Super Bowl. The Giants have the toughest combined schedule, with a combined opponent record of 140-116, for a .547 win percentage. Denver (.543) and Cleveland (.527) are second and third. The Cowboys’ schedule is ranked 11th.

I don't mind that we have a tough schedule since we won our division (kinda sorta) but how do division winners Green Bay and New England get away with the easiest schedules? Is that because they don't have to play themselves? I think Goodell should make their quarterbacks play with one arm tied behind their backs.

BTW, the official NFL schedules come out Tuesday night.

rationalfan
04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
these SOS debates are pure offseason fodder. you can't predict how tough a team's schedule outside of general vagaries. with injuries, fatigue, internal drama, scheduling (like two games in five days or a string of road games), etc. a schedule's strength varies from week to week.

Cugel
04-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about the schedule. If the Broncos can't beat these teams they're not going anywhere in the playoffs anyway.

They are playing a 1st place schedule. That's harder. But, the chances of sneaking into the playoffs playing a last place schedule and then winning there aren't too great. The victory over Pittsburgh is probably the best the Broncos could have hoped for last year.

Just given their talent level they should have been one and done. There's no point pretending you're better than you really are.

Slick
04-16-2012, 04:23 PM
these SOS debates are pure offseason fodder. you can't predict how tough a team's schedule outside of general vagaries. with injuries, fatigue, internal drama, scheduling (like two games in five days or a string of road games), etc. a schedule's strength varies from week to week.

Agreed. Also, teams that were good last year aren't necessarily going to be as good as last year, and vice versa.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
They are playing a 1st place schedule. That's harder.

But apparently not if you're the Packers or the Patriots, arguably the two most loaded franchises in the league. I'm not griping that the Broncos have a hard schedule. I'm griping that Green Bay and New England don't.

Of course, the dirty little secret is that if you get the NFC West as your interconference opponent, you've got the easy schedule. The AFC is more balanced.

MOtorboat
04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
A first place schedule only affects two games. That's not why the schedule looks tough.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Heard on the radio earlier today that Coach Fox will be on the NFL Network at 5:15 MDT talking about the Broncos' regular season schedule.

BroncoWave
04-17-2012, 04:01 PM

I don't mind that we have a tough schedule since we won our division (kinda sorta) but how do division winners Green Bay and New England get away with the easiest schedules? Is that because they don't have to play themselves? I think Goodell should make their quarterbacks play with one arm tied behind their backs.

BTW, the official NFL schedules come out Tuesday night.

But apparently not if you're the Packers or the Patriots, arguably the two most loaded franchises in the league. I'm not griping that the Broncos have a hard schedule. I'm griping that Green Bay and New England don't.

Of course, the dirty little secret is that if you get the NFC West as your interconference opponent, you've got the easy schedule. The AFC is more balanced.

Jesus. Do you have any idea how the NFL scheduling works? The NFL schedule is on a set rotation for each team. Each team will play 6 division games, 4 against another division in their conference (you play each of the other 3 divisions every 3 years), 4 against a division in another conference (you play each team in the opposite conference over a 4 year stretch) and 2 against teams in your conference with the same division standing, totaling 16.

Denver just happened to be unlucky this season to get the NFC South and AFC North, two of the toughest divisions. We get those divisions rotated to us every 3 and 4 years. The Packers and Patriots just happened to get the AFC South and NFC West this season, two of the weakest divisions. That has been set in stone for years. You can look at every team's rotation of future opponents if you don't believe me. There is no conspiracy theory.

BroncoWave
04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Here is a link that demonstrates this OrangeHoof. Each NFL team already knows who 14 of their 16 opponents will be each season up until 2017 at least. Next season the Broncos play the AFC South and NFC East. The Packers play the NFC East and AFC North. These rotations have been in effect since 2002.

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_afcw.htm

Denver Native (Carol)
04-17-2012, 04:23 PM
The 32 NFL teams will release their full 2012 schedules at 5 p.m. MDT today. The Broncos with new quarterback Peyton Manning figure to get close to, if not their full allotment of five primetime games between Sunday Night Football on NBC, Monday Night Football on ESPN and Thursday Night Football on the NFL Network.

The Broncos believe there is a strong chance they will open at home against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night. If not the Steelers at home, Manning vs. Tom Brady at New England on Sunday night is another possibility.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/17/expect-5-primetime-games-including-opener-broncos-schedule/12992/

at the end of the article, it lists the teams we play at home, and the teams we play away - just not dates/times. Appears overall, the home schedule is tougher than the away schedule.

OrangeHoof
04-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I already knew how the schedules are crafted and, in fact, it's one of the reasons I don't want to see the season expanded. Did I say it was a conspiracy? But it does seen that the things the league does to supposedly make things fair, it always seems to benefit certain glamor franchises like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers, whether it is compensatory draft picks, strength of schedules, favorite refs, signing other team's coaches before the season is over, making sure your game two time zones away is not flexed to prime time, etc.They all have other explanations but it just seems as if the NFL has a caste system despite their claims of fairness.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Keep strengthening that arm, Peyton Manning. The Broncos have officially become an NFL showcase.

The league will feature the Broncos in its first Sunday Night Game of the 2012 season. The Broncos will play the Pittsburgh Steelers in their season opener Sept. 9 at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, an NFL source said

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20417365/broncos-open-nfl-season-sunday-night-vs-steelers

claymore
04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Only thing good about our schedule is the bye week at the half way point.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

ssgtwc
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Only thing good about our schedule is the bye week at the half way point.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

eggzacherchery!!

TimHippo
04-17-2012, 09:12 PM

I mentioned this in the other thread but the only 99% win we are guaranteed is Cleveland.
The other two crap teams (Carolina and Tampa Bay) look like they are going to be much improved because of (Cam Newton and position upgrades, and Vincent Jackson/Carl Nicks)
All the AFC West division rivals except maybe San Diego (who are always tough) have improved from last year and those are always tough games.

Somehow we didn't get Miami, Tennesee, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Redskins, Minnesota, Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals (although the Seahawks and Cardinals are arguable)
which would all be guaranteed victories. Those are all teams that will be really bad again this year.

BroncoWave
04-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I already knew how the schedules are crafted and, in fact, it's one of the reasons I don't want to see the season expanded. Did I say it was a conspiracy? But it does seen that the things the league does to supposedly make things fair, it always seems to benefit certain glamor franchises like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers, whether it is compensatory draft picks, strength of schedules, favorite refs, signing other team's coaches before the season is over, making sure your game two time zones away is not flexed to prime time, etc.They all have other explanations but it just seems as if the NFL has a caste system despite their claims of fairness.

So the NFL knew in freaking 2002 that the Pats and Packers would happen to be stacked this season and set the rotations accordingly? Give me a break.

TXBRONC
04-18-2012, 08:58 AM
On paper the schedule looks daunting but we don't know what kind of shape our opponents will be in when we face them or for that matter what kind of shape we'll be in.

Npba900
04-18-2012, 09:21 AM

If the Packers and Patriots glide thru the regular season playing an easier schedule and getting home field advantage-etc., They won't be battle tested come playoff time and just might lose at home. The schedule says really nothing because there is so much parity in the NFL anyway. The NY Giants have proven that its all about who gets hot at the end of season (Last 4 games) through-out the playoff's and on SB day. Today's NFL, teams can go 8-8 in the regular season, win they're wild card game or division outright and win a Freaking Super Bowl!

So strength/difficulty of schedule in today's NFL means nothing by the end of the season. The NFL isn't called the Greatest-Pagentry and Circus on earth for nothing.

Fullback32
04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
All I know is that they better be ready for the Steelers as they won't be all beat up this time. O-Line...protect Peyton!

underrated29
04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
All I know is that they better be ready for the Steelers as they won't be all beat up this time. O-Line...protect Peyton!

Good thing is our team wont be beat up either.
mcgahee, knowshon will both be healthy (Yes, knowshon always plays the first two games of the year)
Chris Kuper our starting LG will be back and healthy
Von Miller will not have a cast
Doom will not have a gimpy ankle
Ty warren and Kev vickerson will be healthy
So will our FB, if we use one

I think pitts better be prepared.

TXBRONC
04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Good thing is our team wont be beat up either.
mcgahee, knowshon will both be healthy (Yes, knowshon always plays the first two games of the year)
Chris Kuper our starting LG will be back and healthy
Von Miller will not have a cast
Doom will not have a gimpy ankle
Ty warren and Kev vickerson will be healthy
So will our FB, if we use one

I think pitts better be prepared.

I'm not so sure Moreno will even make the team. He's also coming off a torn acl injury.

NightTerror218
04-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm not so sure Moreno will even make the team. He's also coming off a torn acl injury.

I think he has a better chance to make the Johnson or Ball. I think Moreno can be a great 3rd down back. He is great in open space but horrible between tackles.

iLands
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM

It's because they have six divisional games - games they massacred the opposition in last year. Those wins mean their opponents won less games which in turn gives them a weaker strength of schedule.

Their opponents in the same division have a HARDER strength of schedule because they have to play NE and GB twice.

This isn't difficult :-/

Chef Zambini
04-19-2012, 02:09 AM
I already knew how the schedules are crafted and, in fact, it's one of the reasons I don't want to see the season expanded. Did I say it was a conspiracy? But it does seen that the things the league does to supposedly make things fair, it always seems to benefit certain glamor franchises like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers, whether it is compensatory draft picks, strength of schedules, favorite refs, signing other team's coaches before the season is over, making sure your game two time zones away is not flexed to prime time, etc.They all have other explanations but it just seems as if the NFL has a caste system despite their claims of fairness.it could be worse...
it could be the NBA with their commish and refs.

Chef Zambini
04-19-2012, 02:15 AM
I think he has a better chance to make the Johnson or Ball. I think Moreno can be a great 3rd down back.
He is great in open space ,
but horrible between tackles.
Moreno, the astro-naught, he works best in Space.

Canmore
04-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Moreno, the astro-naught, he works best in Space.

NoShow needs to take up residence elsewhere.