PDA

View Full Version : Glad John and Shanny are friends

Superchop 7
04-16-2012, 01:39 PM
When Peyton came to visit the Broncos, as he was chatting with John he found out that the Redskins had just acquired the number 2 pick in the draft. Although he knew that the Redskins no longer needed him he still kept his apoointment with Shanny at his house. While Shanny and Peyton talked Elway texted Shanny and said "Hey Mike....put in a good word for us"........I have no doubt that Shanny did say nice things......glad he and John are friends......THANKS COACH!

tubby
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Rod Smith retired

DenBronx
04-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Who thinks they are not friends? Those two were incredible together. Shanahan pushed Elway towards two SBs and I'm sure Elway appreciates that.

Kinda funny if Elway did text Mike in his meeting with Shanny though. I'm sure they had a good laugh over that.

Cugel
04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
That incident is true, but whatever Shanahan said played no discernible role in determining Manning's decision to come here. So, the Broncos don't owe Shanahan much of anything in this regard.

Elway and Shananan were not close after Elway's retirement, but they weren't antagonistic either. Mostly Shanahan made sure that Elway stayed out of his Broncos fiefdom as long as he was here.

jhildebrand
04-16-2012, 05:51 PM
That incident is true, but whatever Shanahan said played no discernible role in determining Manning's decision to come here. So, the Broncos don't owe Shanahan much of anything in this regard.

Elway and Shananan were not close after Elway's retirement, but they weren't antagonistic either. Mostly Shanahan made sure that Elway stayed out of his Broncos fiefdom as long as he was here.

Well there was talk Elway wanted to go one more year and Shanahan all but discouraged the idea and pushed Elway into retirement.

hotcarl
04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Rod Smith retired

lol

Npba900
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Well there was talk Elway wanted to go one more year and Shanahan all but discouraged the idea and pushed Elway into retirement.

Actually what I heard was that what really helped Elway make the decision to retire was based on 2 things.

1) The 98 season he missed 4 games with a hamstring injury, and it kinda told Elway he was simply getting older.

2) Elway and his father had an understanding, that his Dad will tell John when his body was wearing down and when his skills were leaving him and at that point, Elway's Dad would tell him; Well Elway's Dad told John after the 1998 season and winning two SB's, and simply told John,........."Son.....Its time to retire.

Shannahan was hoping he could have gotten one more year from Elway in the hopes Elway was the starting QB in 1999.

jhildebrand
04-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Shannahan was hoping he could have gotten one more year from Elway in the hopes Elway was the starting QB in 1999.

There was an article somewhere that the "ride into the sunset with two SB's and SB MVP" came from Shanahan. I will have to look for it. Doesn't really matter. I don't think Shanahan and Elway are or were quite what people think.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2012, 11:49 PM
I think Shanahan and Elway are pretty good friends, considering. I know that Shanahan did not push elway into retirement, why would he do that? :laugh: He would want elway to stay QB to take us to another Super Bowl.

Considering Shanahan was the OC that took Elway to 4 out of 5 Super Bowls....I'm betting they are pretty tight. We also don't know if what Shanahan said had any bearing on Manning's decision. It just as likely had a small role than it not having any bearing.

Simple Jaded
04-20-2012, 07:45 AM
I don't know, if you remember at the time Shanatan had The Next Joe Montana waiting in the wings, no doubt Shanatan was chomping at the bit to get him on the field.......

TXBRONC
04-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Actually what I heard was that what really helped Elway make the decision to retire was based on 2 things.

1) The 98 season he missed 4 games with a hamstring injury, and it kinda told Elway he was simply getting older.

2) Elway and his father had an understanding, that his Dad will tell John when his body was wearing down and when his skills were leaving him and at that point, Elway's Dad would tell him; Well Elway's Dad told John after the 1998 season and winning two SB's, and simply told John,........."Son.....Its time to retire.

I also remember hearing something to the effect that Elway asked family if he should retire after the '97 season but they all voted no.

Chef Zambini
04-20-2012, 09:59 AM
shanahan was eager to prove he could win without a superstar QB.
a dozen years later, he continuses to FAIL.
if he wins with RG3 it will be because of the QB and not the HC.

Ravage!!!
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
shanahan was eager to prove he could win without a superstar QB.
a dozen years later, he continuses to FAIL.
if he wins with RG3 it will be because of the QB and not the HC.

Ridiculous. Seriously. Its absolutely absurd every time I hear/read this. How many Super Bowls did Noll win without Bradshaw? How many did Landry win without Staubach? How many Super Bowls did Shula win without a HoF QB? How many did Walsh win without Montana? How many Super Bowls did Johnson win without Aikman? How many Super Bowls has Belicheck won without Brady?? In fact the only coach to win multible Super Bowls without having a HoF QB, was Gibbs.

It's absolutely absurd to think that Shanahan wanted to move on without Elway and on with Griese instead. Especially when it was a toss-up between Griese and Brister.

If Shanahan can't coach, how is it that Elway didn't go to the Super Bowl when Shanahan wasn't running the offense? How about Steve Young? Couldn't win the SUper Bowl until Shanahan took over the offense. It's not a coincidence.

How many teams go to, and win a Super Bowl without a top QB?? How long does it take to find a top QB after losing one?? Ask Indy how long it took before Manning. How about Miami, Buffalo, San Fran, Dallas, and Pittsburgh. When was the last great QB that Washington has ever had?

jhildebrand
04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
I know that Shanahan did not push elway into retirement, why would he do that? :laugh: .

:laugh:

I believe it was Michael Silver who posted the reasons why. I believe it was his article that pitched the theory Shanahan wanted to show he could win with his guy at QB. The same article was also referenced often when Griese was named staert over Brister.

I just am too lazy to go dig it up again because it doesn't matter. I don't think the OP is anywhere close to right in thinking Shanny helped in getting Manning here. Elway and Manning were already very close to begin with.

Ravage!!!
04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
:laugh:

I believe it was Michael Silver who posted the reasons why. I believe it was his article that pitched the theory Shanahan wanted to show he could win with his guy at QB. The same article was also referenced often when Griese was named staert over Brister.

I just am too lazy to go dig it up again because it doesn't matter. I don't think the OP is anywhere close to right in thinking Shanny helped in getting Manning here. Elway and Manning were already very close to begin with.

Well, that article would only be guesses anyway, and I'm saying I believe those guesses to be wrong. Every good coach has an ego, but there is NO reason (none, zero, zilch) to believe that Shanahan would rather try to win a Super Bowl without Elway than to make a run at three in a row with on of teh very best. Shanahan already knew that he accomplished something wit John that no other coach never had. I just think its an absurd suggestion that has absolutely NO clout to it whatsoever.

As far as Shanahan helping out the Broncos... who knows? Why would that be so hard to believe that SHanahan had good things to say about Denver? He still lives here, he has a huge home here.. and considers Denver home. Its a fact that Elway texted Shanahan during Mike's talks with Manning saying "Hey Mike, put in a good word for us." Mike laughed and showed the text to Peyton. Is it hard to believe that the conversation from there had some discussion about Elway and Denver as an organization?

Would ANY good/nice/complimentary talk about Denver be something that HURT the negotiations? What if Shanahan said just a single thing that could have tipped the table in the direction in our favor between us and another team, purely because he (Peyton) had heard conversation from a great coach that had so much experience with both Denver and Elway? Hard to believe or even fathom? Not me.

Seems to be a simple conclusion that even if it wasn't THE reason Manning signed here, that Shanahan certainly didn't do anything other than help.

TheReverend
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
If you watch the 1998 America's Team special, when they're hugging after they won their 2nd SB together, Shanahan tells John he wants him "for one more", so yeah...