PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Holding Out for Long Term Deal

LTC Pain
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
From Rotoworld Sports:

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports free agent DT Marcus Thomas is holding out for a long-term contract.

The Broncos are open to re-signing Thomas to a one-year contract, but he's "focused on receiving a long-term deal." Anderson reports the sides "may be open to start negotiations again later." Thomas has supposedly drawn "serious offers" from two other teams, but hasn't lined up any known visits since the start of free agency. He's likely overplaying his hand, and the smart money is on him ending up back in Denver on a one-year deal.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

tubby
04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Dyme Boogie

Jsteve01
04-16-2012, 02:07 PM
well I for one thought he would bust out this year and he had another average season. I still can't figure how he, Bunkley, Mays and Miller were all at the top in their positions vs the run according to pro football focus and yet our run defense sucked last year.

I really hoped his athletic ability would fit well in Fox/Allen's attacking system, the same system that Derrick Landri flourished in. It never happened. Time for me to finally accept the fact that he's just an average rotational tackle. I guess I got blinded by the backflip in camp 4 years ago.

dogfish
04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Ham!

DenBronx
04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Money would have been better spent on Bunkley and not Thomas. Bunk is much stronger and more athletic. And Thomas only does decent when everyone around him is playing good. I havent seen him maul anyone.

Cugel
04-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Money would have been better spent on Bunkley and not Thomas. Bunk is much stronger and more athletic. And Thomas only does decent when everyone around him is playing good. I haven't seen him maul anyone.

Thomas is a rotational player, not starter material on any team with GOOD or even DECENT DTs. On the Broncos he would probably start again this year, so he's probably worth it to them to re-sign.

I don't know what he's waiting for. At this point he's not going to get any team signing him to a long-term deal before the draft.

He's going to have to wait until May now.

As for a deal with Denver, they could sign him to a multi-year contract with a one-year opt out. But, probably money is the key issue holding up Thomas re-signing here. HE wants more than they want to pay him.

The source is probably right though. Nobody else is eager to give him the kind of contract he's seeking. He hasn't done much and he's nobody's idea of a real stud DT.

He might get a slightly better deal than Denver is offering though.

The only reason I want to see him back is that the Broncos don't have ANY Starters and at least they could pencil him in at starter in case Bannan is old and washed up, Ty Warren is on IR again and Vickerson is just what he's always been -- a career backup. And in case they don't draft a DT with their #1 pick who can step right in and start they could use Thomas.

Shazam!
04-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Id rather them draft a 4th rd DT than waste a LT deal on him.

GEM
04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Hold out in the food stamp line, fella. You are marginal, at best. No one else is going to long term pay for ya and I hope the Broncos don't either.

Superchop 7
04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I would send him a contract for the same amount he made last year and tell him he has 12 hours to sign it or I am moving forward without him.

BeefStew25
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
vDzt-pw1QJI

dogfish
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
I would send him a contract for the same amount he made last year and tell him he has 12 hours to sign it or I am moving forward without him.

that and a couple dozen crispy kremes oughta be enough to get 'er done. . .

LTC Pain
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Hold out in the food stamp line, fella. You are marginal, at best. No one else is going to long term pay for ya and I hope the Broncos don't either.

GEM for President :)

chazoe60
04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
We don't even use DTs do we?

tubby
04-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Smash!

Simple Jaded
04-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Good luck with that Marcus, long term contracts for most players are a thing of the past.......

Npba900
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Nothing wrong with trying for a long term deal.....right? Marcus now finds himself in a position to go the team that offers him the most money for a 1 year deal. It could be Denver or someone else. I say he's still of some value to the Broncos. Who knows how well MT will perform in his 2nd under Fox's Defensive scheme. I say draft the best DT available at #25 and sign MT back with an incentive ladden contract to provide veteran-mentorship and leadership for the new rookie DT.

broncofaninfla
04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Thomas is delusional if he thinks he is worth a long term deal or even a starters pay for one year. Time to move on from this scrub, he had his chance to prove himself and showed he is at best a marginal rotational DL.