PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to release DT Ryan McBean

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 09:36 AM
The Broncos have notified defensive tackle Ryan McBean that he will be released today.

McBean was a 14-game starter for the Broncos in 2009 and led all defensive tackles in 2011 by playing in 58 percent of the snaps.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20406808/broncos-release-dt-ryan-mcbean

Chef Zambini
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
probably didnt make weight or failed a physical.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
probably didnt make weight or failed a physical.

Since today is the first day of voluntary workouts, do they even go thru physicals, etc.? I am not sure they do. The article is pointing more to the 6 game suspension.

MileHighCrew
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
leaves DT even more thin , hopefully this means Warren is doing good

claymore
04-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Im curious as to what our strategy is at DT. I have complete trust in the FO, but I have no idea what direction they are going in.

Nomad
04-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Im curious as to what our strategy is at DT. I have complete trust in the FO, but I have no idea what direction they are going in.

I'm curious as well especially with Fox and Del Rio. At the DT position, the FO will have to prove themselves, because I remain skeptical it will be the same.

underrated29
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Me thinks we go DT at 3,4 and 7.....All big fatties, probably guys weve never heard of. I think they are thinking they can get some behemoths and have Del Ri-oh! coach em up.

Northman
04-16-2012, 10:28 AM
I wonder if they plan on going DT happy in the draft.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2012, 10:29 AM
McBean lost his McFlava....

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Vic Lombardi just tweeted this...

"I expect the Broncos to make another roster move today. Cutting McBean to make room for another signing."

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Vic Lombardi just tweeted this...

"I expect the Broncos to make another roster move today. Cutting McBean to make room for another signing."

Stokely possibly?

underrated29
04-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Stokely possibly?

NNNNnnooooooooooo

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
The FO showed it wasn't committed to addressing the DT position when they chose to overlook Bunkley for somebody else.

I'm sure there thinking is who cares about DT's when we have Peyton Manning.

dogfish
04-16-2012, 11:29 AM

i know you're familiar with the ol' pull and pray. . . ;)

nope. . .

they'll take one-- second or third. . . probably a gap-control guy like mike martin, or maybe ta'amu if they can get him. . . unless they promised del taco they'd draft him a legit inside presence, i don't see them making it the huge priority people here (yes, including me) think it should be. . .

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 11:31 AM
The FO showed it wasn't committed to addressing the DT position when they chose to overlook Bunkley for somebody else.

I'm sure there thinking is who cares about DT's when we have Peyton Manning.

This is such a load of garbage it's not even funny. He and Prater were there two highest priority FAs to resign according to Elway. Denver made their offer, the Saints offered more, and he grabbed the cash.

It honestly blows my mind that people seriously think that Denver just doesn't care about addressing the DT position. It's like they've completely ignored Fox and Del Rio's coaching history and the DTs they have had.

And don't give me the "we haven't drafted a DT in x number of years" bit. This FO has had one draft and picked the DROY in it. I'll trust in their ability to improve the defense until I'm given reason to think otherwise.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
From what was reported locally, the Broncos considered that the money Bunkley received from NO, was too pricey.

METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints and free agent defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley have agreed on a five-year contract.

Bunkley, 28, receives $25 million with $9 million fully guaranteed in the contract, the source said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718576/2012-nfl-free-agency-new-orleans-saints-ex-denver-broncos-dt-brodrick-bunkley-reach-5-year-deal

Cugel
04-16-2012, 11:44 AM
I assume the reason is precisely what the Post says it is:

"the NFL recently slapped McBean and outside linebacker D.J. Williams with a six-game suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancement policy. McBean and Williams dispute the finding and have sued the league in a Denver District Court.

McBean apparently became expendable after the Broncos brought back veteran defensive tackle Justin Bannan last week."

McBean was actually their BEST DT last year, so the Broncos have lost their top 3 DTs this off-season.

If they had replaced them with better players I wouldn't care. Bunkley, Thomas and McBean were all marginal backup DTs. It's just that not having ANY good DTs or even any ADEQUATE DTs is even worse.

And no, I don't think that drafting a rookie DT in the 2nd or 3rd round (maybe) is going to change much. They're not going to get a sure-fire, can't-miss future All Pro DT at #25, let alone the second round, and even if by some magic fluke they did he still wouldn't make much of an impact this season.

They are committed to going into this season with a Giant Sucking Wound in the middle of their Defense, regardless of the draft. It normally takes a DT two or 3 years to learn how to be an impact player in the NFL, and whatever rookies they draft won't be any different.

At this point, I'm hoping they can find some marginal role player who is released by his former team to come in and start, because a lineup of Warren and Vickerson is just not going to do anything even if both of them can stay on the field (which of course they couldn't last year).

My God! They're seriously depending on the 33 year old Justin Bannan to squeeze one more year out of his worthless carcass, and depending on Vickerson to prove anything when he never has done so yet, and on Warren to make it as come-back player of the year when he's been injured since 2009.

Oh, and some rookie is supposed to step into the starting lineup and be an instant star?

None of these things are remotely reasonable plans.

And hoping that some has-been released by his team will strengthen the roster in July is just a total FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP! :coffee:

Right now their DT rotation is just as bad as in 2007-2008 when they had useless chodes like Sam Adams, Jamal Williams, Amon Gordon, Dewayne Robertson and Antwon Burton.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 11:45 AM
This is such a load of garbage it's not even funny. He and Prater were there two highest priority FAs to resign according to Elway. Denver made their offer, the Saints offered more, and he grabbed the cash.

It honestly blows my mind that people seriously think that Denver just doesn't care about addressing the DT position. It's like they've completely ignored Fox and Del Rio's coaching history and the DTs they have had.

And don't give me the "we haven't drafted a DT in x number of years" bit. This FO has had one draft and picked the DROY in it. I'll trust in their ability to improve the defense until I'm given reason to think otherwise.

Well geez, that would show a commitment and priority to another position now would it?

Apparently you weren't following along when the front office made it clear that Miami DT was their first choice over Bunkley, and when he re-signed with Miami, because they were committed to re-signing their own player, Bunkley was already looking elsewhere.

One draft? In 13+ years? Terrible.

I do agree with your assessment about their abiilty to improve the defense...not really. Especially considering we've heard that broken record here like forever, with no results.

I'll play the smart man's game, and trust in their commitment to the defense when I actually see results on the field.

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Well geez, that would show a commitment and priority to another position now would it?

Apparently you weren't following along when the front office made it clear that Miami DT was their first choice over Bunkley, and when he re-signed with Miami, because they were committed to re-signing their own player, Bunkley was already looking elsewhere.

One draft? In 13+ years? Terrible.

I do agree with your assessment about their abiilty to improve the defense...not really. Especially considering we've heard that broken record here like forever, with no results.

I'll play the smart man's game, and trust in their commitment to the defense when I actually see results on the field.

This front office has had one draft. Not 13. The 12 prior are completely irrelevant. In their ONE draft they drafted the DROY. The HC and DC are both known for putting great defenses on the field. The defense was certainly better last season than under McDaniels. If the fact they that they refused to overpay a DT who only played about half the snaps is the best you can do, then you don't really have much of an argument.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Again.

I don't care how many drafts the front office has had.

The organization has been spinning in a repeated pattern with that position, and until I see results on the field that they are able to fix that area of the defense in a consistent structure, I'm going to be left wondering.

I understand they did a great job with Miller last year but we still have issues in the defense.

Matter of perspective, you can choose that they will eventually get it fixed, and that's ok. I'm choosing to wait until it's actually fixed. Apparently it's easier said then done.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Lindsay Jones ‏ @PostBroncos

Clarification on McBean: The restricted free agent tender he received, but hadn't signed, was rescinded by team, making him a UFA.

http://twitter.com/#!/postbroncos

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Again.

The organization has been spinning in a repeated pattern with that position, and until I see results on the field that they are able to fix that area of the defense in a consistent structure, I'm going to be left wondering.

I understand they did a great job with Miller last year but we still have issues in the defense.

Matter of perspective, you can choose that they will eventually get it fixed, and that's ok. I'm choosing to wait until it's actually fixed. Apparently it's easier said then done.

Unless you are suggesting that Pat Bowlen mandates from the top that Denver not address DT, this point is completely invalid. The fact that Shanahan and McDaniels ignored DT has NOTHING to do with this regime. Absolutely nothing. If Elway wasn't focused on putting a tough defense on the field, he wouldn't have selected a defensive minded HC and a highly successful DC in Del Rio. He also wouldn't have went defense with the top pick last year.

You say you won't buy it until you see it on the field, but if you didn't see improvement from the D under McD in 2010 to last year then you were just willfully ignoring it.

rationalfan
04-16-2012, 12:11 PM
i think the fans are more worried about the DT position than the team is. remember, they see ty warren all the time. we don't. he's been healthy since december. he also hasn't been cut. and the team hasn't spent big money on that position. those facts say as much to me as anything else.

also, i'm kind of convinced saying the broncos need DT help is the knee-jerk obvious fan reaction to trying to understand why the team hasn't been good for a while. DT is important, but it's not the most important position on the field.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Unless you are suggesting that Pat Bowlen mandates from the top that Denver not address DT, this point is completely invalid. The fact that Shanahan and McDaniels ignored DT has NOTHING to do with this regime. Absolutely nothing. If Elway wasn't focused on putting a tough defense on the field, he wouldn't have selected a defensive minded HC and a highly successful DC in Del Rio. He also wouldn't have went defense with the top pick last year.

You say you won't buy it until you see it on the field, but if you didn't see improvement from the D under McD in 2010 to last year then you were just willfully ignoring it.

No, it's not. It's entirely your opinion. I have the turn of the millenium to show you otherwise.

The 7 game stretch or whatever where the defense was lights out was promising, but until Denver can start purging itself of these blowout losses season after season I don;t trust our defense to keep us in games, big games where Denver needs to separate itself.

5 games last year our defense gave up 40+ points. 5 out of 18 games. That's not improvement, that's patchwork and smoke and mirrors.

blamkin86
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
5 games last year our defense gave up 40+ points. 5 out of 18 games. .

I think that's a fair criticism. I would point out how bad the offense was (ie Defense on the field way too long) but that doesn't excuse most of those games.

pipes
04-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Josina Anderson is reporting on her twitter page that Denver is still trying to work out a 1 yr deal with Marcus Thomas.
He, however wants a long term deal.

Hence, no deal yet.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Josina Anderson is reporting on her twitter page that Denver is still trying to work out a 1 yr deal with Marcus Thomas.
He, however wants a long term deal.

Hence, no deal yet.

Josina Anderson

Additionally, the source says both sides may be open to start negotiations again later. #Broncos #MarcusThomas

However, the source adds Marcus Thomas is focused on receiving a long-term deal. That is the sticking point right now. #Broncos

A source with knowledge of the situation says the Denver Broncos have tried to negotiate a one-year deal for veteran DT Marcus Thomas (cont)

http://twitter.com/#!/josinaanderson

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
I think Thomas will fold when he realizes that no team will offer him a long term deal and he has to choose between taking a one year deal and being jobless.

Slick
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I wonder how many teams are lighting up Marcus' agents phone lines looking to sign him to a long term deal. Dude needs to be realistic.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I think Thomas will fold when he realizes that no team will offer him a long term deal and he has to choose between taking a one year deal and being jobless.

I can see Dennis Allen being a possibility to offer him more than a one year deal.

DenBronx
04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
We still would have had the cash to keep Bunkley. He was the best DT we had and other than Soliai there wasnt really a better DT than Bunkley on the market. I'm still shocked we didnt try harder to keep him.

I doubt we pick a DT in round 1 though.

D1g1tal j1m
04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
I will miss those crucial face masking penalties that McBean provided when he couldn't get to the QB and got the 'roid rage.

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
No, it's not. It's entirely your opinion. I have the turn of the millenium to show you otherwise.

Then please explain to me how the decisions of PAST coaches and front offices of this team have ANY relevance to this current one. I don't care if we haven't drafted a DT in 100 years, if this regime has only been around for a year, the prior 99 have no relevance to their decisions.

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
We still would have had the cash to keep Bunkley. He was the best DT we had and other than Soliai there wasnt really a better DT than Bunkley on the market. I'm still shocked we didnt try harder to keep him.

That's not the point. You don't overspend for a player just because you "have the money for it". That is pretty poor cap management.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Then please explain to me how the decisions of PAST coaches and front offices of this team have ANY relevance to this current one. I don't care if we haven't drafted a DT in 100 years, if this regime has only been around for a year, the prior 99 have no relevance to their decisions.

5 games of 40+ points. Take away the playoffs and 25% of the games Denver played last year, they gave up 40+ points.

I don't care what decisions PAST coaches and front offices have made as far as being relevant of this team, that's an absolutely pathetic year defensively, and no, I won't trust anything from them until I see progress on the field on a consistent basis.

Mannway187
04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
AHHAAH,:listen: obviously they've checked, checked and double checked and are now confidant that the guy they want (Worthy):strongy: will still be there at 25 and they will still be able to get a second :elefant:big body with the Jets pick in the fourth round. Second round will probably be either Tolbert or Osweiler..:whoknows: More likely they'll go RB in the second and hope they can pick up a serviceable QB in the third.:2cents:

rationalfan
04-16-2012, 01:33 PM

but do you pay that money for bunkley when he's a two down player? and, if the broncos are ahead in a game (imagine that) he's a one down player. i don't think he's worth that kind of money.

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
5 games of 40+ points. Take away the playoffs and 25% of the games Denver played last year, they gave up 40+ points.

I don't care what decisions PAST coaches and front offices have made as far as being relevant of this team, that's an absolutely pathetic year defensively, and no, I won't trust anything from them until I see progress on the field on a consistent basis.

You didn't answer my question. What relevance does the decisions of past regimes have to the decisions that this one makes? You keep citing the lack of drafting DTs over the past decade plus like it's important. I want to know why that matters at all.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
but do you pay that money for bunkley when he's a two down player? and, if the broncos are ahead in a game (imagine that) he's a one down player. i don't think he's worth that kind of money.

No I don't believe you pay them. I think Denver made the right decision in not re-signing Bunkley. Did they have the proper plan B in place for his absence? That remains to be seen.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
You didn't answer my question. What relevance does the decisions of past regimes have to the decisions that this one makes? You keep citing the lack of drafting DTs over the past decade plus like it's important. I want to know what that matters at all.

It has no relevance, just like John Fox and the current regime hasn't show an affinity to coach up the defense to the point where they can consistently compete.

The drafting DT's I'm going to pick on. Unless we want to continue this conversation to the point of arguing Champ Bailey is all of a sudden garbage and Dumervil and Miller are completely one dimensional players.

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 01:39 PM
It has no relevance, just like John Fox and the current regime hasn't show an affinity to coach up the defense to the point where they can consistently compete..

Well most rational people tend to give teams more than a year to fix what McDaniels made the absolute worst defense in the NFL. Thankfully the people running this team are more patient than you.

weazel
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
were going without a D-Line this season, gonna play the dollar package

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Well most rational people tend to give teams more than a year to fix what McDaniels made the absolute worst defense in the NFL. Thankfully the people running this team are more patient than you.

Great argument. I have heard from Denver Bronco fans since the turn of the millenium.

12 years later I'm still waiting.

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Great argument. I have heard from Denver Bronco fans since the turn of the millenium.

12 years later I'm still waiting.

Yeah, this regime is definitely as bad as or worse than the ones over the past 12 years. I mean, all they have done is take a 4-12 team and build it into a playoff team in a year, then bring in the biggest free agent in NFL history. What a poor start these bums are off to.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah, this regime is definitely as bad as or worse than the ones over the past 12 years. I mean, all they have done is take a 4-12 team and build it into a playoff team in a year, then bring in the biggest free agent in NFL history. What a poor start these bums are off to.

You're absolutely right. That's a great reason to have blind trust and faith in them. They did bring in Peyton Manning. Let's hope Peyon Manning can score more than 40 points, because he's likely going to have to do it 1 out of every 4 games throughout the season.

"We might get our ass kicked 25% of the time, but it's quite obvious we are headed in the right direction!"

LTC Pain
04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
IMHO, since this draft is supposedly deep at DT and the Broncos have a glaring need at DT, I'm figuring we take one if not two DTs in the upcoming draft. I agree with BTB reference the drafting trend of the Broncos under EFX. It's only been one year and they did a good job last draft. Hold on to your panties and let's see what they do 26-28 April.

Tned
04-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Who needs stinking DT's? I bet they move to a 2-5 defense. Linebackers are the future of the NFL....

BroncoWave
04-16-2012, 01:50 PM
If you can't see the positive direction this team is headed in then you are being negative just for the sake of being negative.

claymore
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
If you can't see the positive direction this team is headed in then you are being negative just for the sake of being negative.

Best post on the internet.

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Positivity isn't an issue. I think they've done a lot of great things. It isn't anywhere near the same as being concerned in what's happening with our defense, what's happened to our defense in the past. I can remain positive, and at the same time remain skeptical until I see results on the field on a consistent basis. I'm certainly not going to blind myself and jump at the cue of faith.

Cugel
04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
This front office has had one draft. Not 13. The 12 prior are completely irrelevant. In their ONE draft they drafted the DROY. The HC and DC are both known for putting great defenses on the field. The defense was certainly better last season than under McDaniels. If the fact they that they refused to overpay a DT who only played about half the snaps is the best you can do, then you don't really have much of an argument.

I'm sorry but you're forgetting that Brian Xanders was the Broncos GM since Mike Shanahan was here, not just last year!

It's true that McMoron had the final say in draft and FA decisions, but as McDaniels has said repeatedly since his firing, Xanders was in the war-room and has his dirty little fingers all over every one of those decisions.

He just did a bureaucratic finger-point and laid all the blame on McMoron. Well, McMoron DOES deserve the Lion's share of the blame since he was in overall charge. But Xanders isn't the innocent little lamb led to slaughter by the evil dark side of the force as he likes to pretend he was. :coffee:

So, the Broncos past drafting history IS of some relevance because the guy making some of those screwed up decisions is still sitting at the right hand of Elway even now!

claymore
04-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry but you're forgetting that Brian Xanders was the Broncos GM since Mike Shanahan was here, not just last year!

It's true that McMoron had the final say in draft and FA decisions, but as McDaniels has said repeatedly since his firing, Xanders was in the war-room and has his dirty little fingers all over every one of those decisions.

He just did a bureaucratic finger-point and laid all the blame on McMoron. Well, McMoron DOES deserve the Lion's share of the blame since he was in overall charge. But Xanders isn't the innocent little lamb led to slaughter by the evil dark side of the force as he likes to pretend he was. :coffee:

So, the Broncos past drafting history IS of some relevance because the guy making some of those screwed up decisions is still sitting at the right hand of Elway even now!

I dont think anyone truly believes Xanders had much of a say under McD or Shanny. Since money is no longer a rumored issue, I think there is something that Elway and Bowlen see in Xanders.

Same can be said of McCoy. He isnt very popular, but look what he had to work with. He's a freakin miracle worker in my eyes.

Cugel
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Again.

As I pointed out there's a dirty little bit of left over baggage in the front office. It wasn't a clean sweep. And as for Miller it's hard to screw up when you have a choice of every defensive player in the draft and you are choosing between Marcel Dareus and Von Miller. Either way you choose you're not going to go wrong and they didn't.

If they had selected Dareus, we'd all be saying that Dareus had a great season for a rookie and is clearly headed towards becoming an All Pro at DT in the near future.

But, where the rubber meets the road in the second and future rounds they didn't do nearly as well -- by their OWN admissions.

Their #2 draft pick was Rahim Moore, whom they had just relegated to the bench, adding Mike Adams at a cost of $4 million to take his place. I don't care what anybody says, that's NOT great drafting!

Orlando Franklin hasn't been totally wonderful either although he was a rookie and presumably can improve (he looks to be keeping his starting job at least which is a vote of confidence -- unlike Moore).

So far, their draft is worth a "C+". "A" on Miller. "D-" to "F" on Moore (if he stays a little used backup he's going to be labeled a bust when his contract expires). If he becomes a minor contributor in nickel packages that's NOT what you expect from your 2nd round pick!

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
I dont think anyone truly believes Xanders had much of a say under McD or Shanny. Since money is no longer a rumored issue, I think there is something that Elway and Bowlen see in Xanders.

Same can be said of McCoy. He isnt very popular, but look what he had to work with. He's a freakin miracle worker in my eyes.

I agree with this. And this is why we can expect another AFCWest division title and 2 playoff wins at the very least this year (assuming Manning doesn't get hurt). Anything else will be a failure on the organization. It is a good time to be a Bronco fan.

Nomad
04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
I agree with this. And this is why we can expect another AFCWest division title and 2 playoff wins at the very least this year (assuming Manning doesn't get hurt). Anything else will be a failure on the organization. It is a good time to be a Bronco fan.

Teddy Bruschi predicts KC Chiefs win division and BRONCOS struggle this year. :stirringpot::lol:

Cugel
04-16-2012, 02:19 PM

That's the official cover-up line, sure! :coffee:

"Poor Brian didn't have any say, even though Pat Bowlen announced that the new coach would NOT have the same authority that Shanahan did and that Brian Xanders would have more as GM. It was all a coup d'etat by that horrible man McDaniels who just stiff-armed poor Brian and he never uttered another word for 2 years while McDaniels repeatedly steered the ship into every iceberg he could reach. Poor Brian!" :rolleyes:

McDaniels statements on this have indicated that he and Xanders were partners in planning and executing the draft and FA signings and that Joe Ellis was just trying to cover up for his buddy Xanders and dumping all the blame on McDaniels.

I hate McDaniels with a black hate, but I think he's more probably telling the truth on this than Xanders and Ellis are.

It's just so convenient to blame everything on McDaniels and pretend that Xanders had zero input into anything. But, how realistic is that? Even Shanahan took the advice of Ted Sundquist on a lot of things. It's just that when Shanahan got a bee under his bonnet he went with it and everybody else went along.

That's likely how the Broncos wound up with Moreno of course, but Xanders pretending he bravely stood in the breech arguing against all these disastrous personnel moves is a LITTLE too self-serving and convenient to be at all believable.

They should have fired that little toad along with McMoron and brought in a REAL GM with some talent and authority to handle the draft and personnel decisions -- just like virtually every OTHER team in the league does.

And what the Broncos did last year in the draft doesn't change my view AT ALL! He hasn't proven anything yet. In fact, quite the reverse, as I pointed out above, his draft record last year isn't all that great. Mediocre at best.

BTW: What Elway "sees in Xanders" is that he's a close CRONY of Joe Ellis and to fire him would mean crossing Joe Ellis who is Bowlen's closest adviser. Xanders was part of the package deal when Elway got here and Elway is making the best of it he can.

Of course, if Elway continues to establish himself as a superb front office man he might in the future be in a strong enough position to fire Xanders if he were to so choose. But he certainly couldn't do that coming in (or at least it would have put an immediate strain on his position with Ellis & Bowlen that would have undermined him right at the beginning).

dogfish
04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Teddy Bruschi predicts KC Chiefs win division and BRONCOS struggle this year. :stirringpot::lol:

what a bitch! :lol: we're clearly the heavy favorites with manning (ask the rest of the AFC south, teddy), but i guess propping up his boi crennel is more important than providing solid analysis. . .

Slick
04-16-2012, 04:37 PM

I agree with a but...

I can't blame anyone for bitching about the DT position that we haven't addressed effectively in over a decade. That could and should change with Fox and Del Rio on board ( I hope...I too am trying to be positive here) . I think a lot of posters are pessimistic about what the FO is doing about the position, not just Cugel and silk.

Jsteve01
04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Dont put your faith in foxy. JDR is our only hope for DTs he had good ones in Jax for years.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Dont put your faith in foxy. JDR is our only hope for DTs he had good ones in Jax for years.

May not have been Fox' fault in Carolina

A rift had developed between Richardson and Fox since Carolina's 33-13 loss to Arizona in the team's last playoff game in January 2009. Fox was more vocal this season in showing displeasure for several personnel moves that left the Panthers short on experience and talent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5975190

SpringsBroncoFan
04-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Lol, I go away for a couple days and miss all the fuss... Let the bum walk, who cares...

I'm of the mind now that I'd like to see Worthy at 25 and Hicks later in the draft... Worthy having the flexibility to step in for either Bannan or Warren at any time and Hicks to be the eventual replacement for Bannan. I was soft on Worthy before but I liked his interview on NFLN with Casserly and if anybody can fix work ethic issues it's Fox... Hopefully it would be Worthy taking over the McBean role on pass downs but if they want to draft a 3rd DL like Wolfe or someone else, then fine...

SpringsBroncoFan
04-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Who needs stinking DT's? I bet they move to a 2-5 defense. Linebackers are the future of the NFL....

Well yeah except we have Mays inside & Irving really isn't that fast... Give DJ a brain transplant & move him inside or draft (somehow) Kuechly or Kendricks...

bcbronc
04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Imo cutting mcbean is the first piece of concrete evidence that this regime does put a priority on having quality DTs.