PDA

View Full Version : Soooo...What does are front 7 look like?

Bill Devaroe
04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
So after all of this, I guess I would have expected us to address this a little better.

I think I would have been happy as a clam with
Orakpo, Ayers, and Mauluga.

What in the hell does our front 7 now look like?

I have no idea, so I need some input here

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Well...If Ayers is a OLB, I'd say

Reid, Fields, Peterson
2nd team being
Crowder, Powell, Thomas

If Ayers plays DE

Peterson, Fields, Ayers
2nd
Reid, Powell, Thomas

Nomad
04-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up but who's the NT? And what's his size?

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM
My guess:

LDE --Ayers
NT --Fields
RDE --Thomas

SOLB --Reid
MILB --Davis
WILB --Williams
JOLB --Dumervil

LDE --Ayers
LDT --Thomas
RDT --Peterson
RDE --Dumervil

SLB --Bailey
MLB --Williams
WLB --Woodyard

God only knows, they have far more questions than answers. Imo, it appears as though they are going to run a 1-gap scheme.......Ya.......

honz
04-26-2009, 06:09 PM
My guess:

Domination.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up but who's the NT? And what's his size?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9701

He's been a career backup, so he fits right in with Doogie's vision of how to build a team.......

Dean
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
My guess:

Domination.

We have seen that happen to the D-line the last two years. It wasn't pretty.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
We have seen that happen to the D-line the last two years. It wasn't pretty.

Exactly.......lmfao.......

Fan in Exile
04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
At mini-camp it was Askew Field Peterson. FWIW

Bill Devaroe
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
poo

hahahaha

Rick
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Ayers is a little light for 3-4 end...

So what I am hoping for is:

LDE: Thomas (305lbs)
NT: Fields (315lbs)
RDE: Powell (300lbs) or Peterson (300lbs)

WOLB: Doom (260)
WILB: DJ (240)
SILB: Davis (250)
SOLB: Ayers (272)

Looking at that group the potential is there to be good but it really to me does come down to Fields. Those ends I think could occupy blockers just fine but is Fileds strong enough to, that will determine the whole thing.

The lbers are very solid assuming Doom picks it up fine, and with Ayers and Doom both there could potentially be a lot of sacks from the lber spot.

With Dawkins, Hill, Champ and Goodman thats a lot of good run support from the D backs, but again...everything to me will come down to the one guy, Fields.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Which do you prefer, butter or margarine?

Broncolingus
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Soooo...What does are front 7 look like?

Good question...

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Well, Ayers will reportedly bulk up and play 5 technique in the 3-4 and some stand up rusher, along with defensive end so....

LDE- Ayers
RDE- Peterson
NT- Fields

WOLB- Dumervil
WILB- Williams
SILB- Davis
SOLB- Reid/Bailey

CB- Champ
CB- Goodman
(Nickel)CB- Smith
FS- Hill
SS- Dawkins
(Nickel)S- Barrett/McBath

Sounds doable...and maybe with a new scheme...things will be alright. I'll hold on hope, because I doubt that our defense could duplicate it's mediocrity from the past 2 seasons.

spikerman
04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
If last year is any indication I would not be surprised if Larsen supplants Davis at ILB. He won't need as much range and he brings it on every play.

SR
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Which do you prefer, butter or margarine?

Which ever one you have to put in the microwave to make it soft enough to spread on butter. And yes, this is an analogy as it pertains to our defense. Give us at least a little time to kick a field goal.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
If last year is any indication I would not be surprised if Larsen supplants Davis at ILB. He won't need as much range and he brings it on every play.

I doubt it. Andra Davis is the most experienced player in the 3-4 that we currently have. In 2+ years, I can see that.

Drill-N-Fill
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I bet we play 4-3 on atleast 85% of the plays. We don't have players for 34.

Ayers -LDE
Thomas -LDT
Powell -RDT
Doom/Crowder -RDE

Boss -Sam
Davis/Larsen -Mike
Williams -Will

xzn
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM

Ayers -LDE
Thomas -LDT
Powell -RDT
Doom/Crowder -RDE

Boss -Sam
Davis/Larsen -Mike
Williams -Will

Maybe a little less than 85%, but I was thinking a similar thing...:beer:

Tned
04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Well, Ayers will reportedly bulk up and play 5 technique in the 3-4 and some stand up rusher, along with defensive end so....

LDE- Ayers
RDE- Peterson
NT- Fields

WOLB- Dumervil
WILB- Williams
SILB- Davis
SOLB- Reid/Bailey

CB- Champ
CB- Goodman
(Nickel)CB- Smith
FS- Hill
SS- Dawkins
(Nickel)S- Barrett/McBath

Sounds doable...and maybe with a new scheme...things will be alright. I'll hold on hope, because I doubt that our defense could duplicate it's mediocrity from the past 2 seasons.

I think Thomas will also be in the mix for an end spot, or possibly even NT (more likely end).

Lonestar
04-26-2009, 09:31 PM

Ayers -LDE
Thomas -LDT
Powell -RDT
Doom/Crowder -RDE

Boss -Sam
Davis/Larsen -Mike
Williams -Will

I'll guess that we will play 3-4 as much as possible.. reverting to 4-3 on Sundays where the Offense calls for it.. and there will be a alot of change ups to keep the O honest and thinking whats next.. hence the reason for smart fast guys..

Northman
04-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Cb
s
cb

s
cb
cb
s

s
s
s
s

Tned
04-26-2009, 09:34 PM
I'll guess that we will play 3-4 as much as possible.. reverting to 4-3 on Sundays where the Offense calls for it.. and there will be a alot of change ups to keep the O honest and thinking whats next.. hence the reason for smart fast guys..

Except that other than Ayers, and two backup/special teamers (Fields/Harris), and Davis, we didn't get a bunch of fast/smart guys for the front seven.

So, the big question is whether the talent on the front seven was so much better than all of us throught, and with a new DC and new scheme, that talent will shine.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Which ever one you have to put in the microwave to make it soft enough to spread on butter. And yes, this is an analogy as it pertains to our defense. Give us at least a little time to kick a field goal.

I dunno man. When I take butter out of the microwave it's still butter.

TXBRONC
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I think Thomas will also be in the mix for an end spot, or possibly even NT (more likely end).

Right now I think Thomas is better suited to be a defensive end in a 3-4 because I think he's undersized to be a nose tackle.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Except that other than Ayers, and two backup/special teamers (Fields/Harris), and Davis, we didn't get a bunch of fast/smart guys for the front seven.

So, the big question is whether the talent on the front seven was so much better than all of us throught, and with a new DC and new scheme, that talent will shine.

Judging by the draft choices, I'd say the current talent level is right up Doogie's alley, so I'm afraid Doogie thinks that he and Nolan make the difference.

Btw, Robert Ayers is not what I'd call fast, I'm just saying.......

TXBRONC
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Judging by the draft choices, I'd say the current talent level is right up Doogie's alley, so I'm afraid Doogie thinks that he and Nolan make the difference.

Btw, Robert Ayers is not what I'd call fast, I'm just saying.......

He looked pretty quick at the Senior Bowl.

xzn
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
It seems to me that all of our holdover and newly signed DLs are all good prospects for DE, BUT not one of them has the prototypical girth of a traditional 34 NT.

Fields is the closest.

I thought I read somewhere that Powell was bulking up. Anyone else remember that? Still we don't have anything like a true two gap "toilet clogger". Can we bring Sam Adams back? (...ducks...) Okay, just kidding about Adams...

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
He looked pretty quick at the Senior Bowl.

I guess I should wait to see what position he actually plays, CBS Sportsline has him listed as OLB. He's not especially fast for a LB and not especially big for for a 3-4 DE.

He's a 4-3 player, imo, and that's where Mayock had him ranked at one point.......

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I guess I should wait to see what position he actually plays, CBS Sportsline has him listed as OLB. He's not especially fast for a LB and not especially big for for a 3-4 DE.

He's a 4-3 player, imo, and that's where Mayock had him ranked at one point.......

I think he translates for a 34 OLB... definitely not a 34 End. He's not fast, but he DID play exceptional at making tackles behind the LOS.. always in the other team's backfield.

He's not a speed rusher, but he plays with an instinct that makes him a very good run stopping player, and one that apparently puts a lot of pressure on the QB although not racking up a lot of sacks....

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 10:49 PM
I think he translates for a 34 OLB... definitely not a 34 End. He's not fast, but he DID play exceptional at making tackles behind the LOS.. always in the other team's backfield.

He's not a speed rusher, but he plays with an instinct that makes him a very good run stopping player, and one that apparently puts a lot of pressure on the QB although not racking up a lot of sacks....

He even told the media that he's going to bulk up to play 5 technique Defensive End.

hotcarl
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
U guys are awesome with how much you know I love your insights

bcbronc
04-27-2009, 12:45 AM
with the new UDFA signings, thing are looking better. at least we have options. hopefully our new, cracker jack coaching staff can mold some players out of the measurables.

Potential DEs

Mattias Askew
6'5" 302lbs
2nd year

Nic Clemons
6'6" 300lbs
3rd year

Kenny Peterson
6'3" 300lbs
7th year

Ryan McBean
6'5" 290lbs
3rd year

Marcus Thomas
6'3" 305lbs
3rd year

Carlton Powell
6'3" 300lbs
2nd year (IR rookie season)

Everette Pedescleaux
6'5" 305lbs
UDFA

Not a lot of name power in that group, but a lot of ideal size and all but Peterson are 3rd year or less. It usually takes a DL 2-3 years to break out in the NFL in the best of circumstances, and I don't think any would consider the defensive coaching in Denver the past few years "the best of circumstances". Assuming we're only looking for DEs to tie up blockers and hold the point of attack, we should be able to find something in this pile.

DE/NT Swing man

Ronald Fields
6'2" 315lbs (hopefully that's gone up a bit since we signed him)
5th year

I'd say most consider him a "solid" player as a fill in at NT, with the versatility to play DE being his biggest asset. as a "worst case" it's not terrible for a year or two.

Powell and Thomas could also get some consideration here, but I feel they're a lot better suited to DE.

NT Potential

Chris Baker
6'2" 325lbs
UDFA

being undrafted can give a guy a chip on his shoulder. maybe he'll be the Rod Smith of our defensive line? /sarcasm. But he is a legit NT prospect to rotate with Fields.

J'Vonne Parker
6'4" 325lbs
5th year

well, all I can say about Parker is that McX saw him worthy of a UFA deal, and he's played on some of the best DL organisations in the league (Baltimore, Carolina).

SOLB

Robert Ayers
6'3" 272lbs
1st round

This is where I see him anyway. Could see some time at RDE and at DT in the nickle. But I think he was drafted to be stout against the run and provide some pressure from the strong side.

Darrell Reid
6'2" 288lbs
5th year

can probably play some DE as well, and adds the versatility of being a ST standout.

Tim Crowder
6'4" 275lbs
3rd season

not ready to kick him to the curb just yet.

SILB

Andra Davis
6'1" 250lbs
8th season

Better than what we had. Has experience in a 34.

Spencer Larsen
6'2" 240lbs
2nd season

Lee Robinson
6'2" 249lbs
UDFA

Give him a year or two on the PS to see if he can be groomed to replace Davis in the not to distant future.

WILB

DJ Williams
6'1" 240lbs
6th season

Wesley Woodyard
6'1" 230lbs
2nd season

WOLB

Elvis Dumervil
5'11" 260lbs
4th season

he has long arms.

Jarvis Moss
6'6" 265lbs
3rd season

Put Crowder and Ayers in the mix here as well, especially if one or both of the above don't pan out. next to nose, its the most important spot in the 34, and also the biggest question mark.

Boss Bailey, I see exclusively as a Nickle LB or a coverage LB on 3rd and longs in the 34. I like Boss and DJ in the nickle, assuming we go with a 40 front nickle.

Louis Green and Mario Haggan are also currently on the roster, but I don't see either making the final 53.

That's every front seven guy on the roster, whether left over from last year, signed as a UFA, drafted this weekend, or signed as a UDFA today. No doubt there are question marks, but there's also potential. signing Baker is a huge part of that. it's not San Diego, but if a couple of question marks turn out to be check marks, we'll be an improved defense.

the way I see it, ridiculously early or not:

Askew
Powell
Thomas
Fields
Baker

EP on PS

Ayers
Fields
Davis
DJ
Doom
Crowder
Woodyard

LR on PS

you're welcome carl! :welcome: __________________________________________________ ___________

Elevation inc
04-27-2009, 02:49 AM
3-4 Full chart

LDE- Kenny Peterson/Nic clemons or Mathias Askew
NT- Marcus Thomas/Ryan Fields/Chris Baker(UDFA)
RDE- Carlton Powell/Robert Ayers/Evertte Pedelesceaux(UDFA)
WOLB- Elvis Dumervil/Boss Bailey
SOLB- Darrel Reid/Tim Crowder
WILB- DJ Williams/Wesely Woodyard
SILB- Andra Davis/Spencer Larsen
FS- Renaldo Hill/Darcel Mcbath
SS- Brian Dawkins/David Bruton
CB- Champ Bailey/AndreGoodman/Alphonso Smith(Nickel)

4-3 looks Main Line-up

LDE-Robert Ayers
NT- Chris Baker
UT- Marcus Thomas
RDE- Dumervil
WLB- Wesely Woodyard
MLB- DJ Williams
SLB- Boss Bailey
FS- Renaldo Hill
SS- Brian Dawkins
CB- Champ/Goodman

Simple Jaded
04-27-2009, 03:28 AM

Mayock compared him to Justin Tuck, in the way the Giants use him, but apparently he's going to be a 5-tech DE, whether or not he can is a mystery and I sincerely doubt that's what Mayock had in mind when he ranked him so high.

Honestly, this pick brings as many questions as answers, imo, I just don't know where he fits. There's not a lot of 272lb 3-4 DE's with questionable strength in the NFL.......

broncofaninfla
04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
with the new UDFA signings, thing are looking better. at least we have options. hopefully our new, cracker jack coaching staff can mold some players out of the measurables.

Potential DEs

Mattias Askew
6'5" 302lbs
2nd year

Nic Clemons
6'6" 300lbs
3rd year

Kenny Peterson
6'3" 300lbs
7th year

Ryan McBean
6'5" 290lbs
3rd year

Marcus Thomas
6'3" 305lbs
3rd year

Carlton Powell
6'3" 300lbs
2nd year (IR rookie season)

Everette Pedescleaux
6'5" 305lbs
UDFA

Not a lot of name power in that group, but a lot of ideal size and all but Peterson are 3rd year or less. It usually takes a DL 2-3 years to break out in the NFL in the best of circumstances, and I don't think any would consider the defensive coaching in Denver the past few years "the best of circumstances". Assuming we're only looking for DEs to tie up blockers and hold the point of attack, we should be able to find something in this pile.

DE/NT Swing man

Ronald Fields
6'2" 315lbs (hopefully that's gone up a bit since we signed him)
5th year

I'd say most consider him a "solid" player as a fill in at NT, with the versatility to play DE being his biggest asset. as a "worst case" it's not terrible for a year or two.

Powell and Thomas could also get some consideration here, but I feel they're a lot better suited to DE.

NT Potential

Chris Baker
6'2" 325lbs
UDFA

being undrafted can give a guy a chip on his shoulder. maybe he'll be the Rod Smith of our defensive line? /sarcasm. But he is a legit NT prospect to rotate with Fields.

J'Vonne Parker
6'4" 325lbs
5th year

well, all I can say about Parker is that McX saw him worthy of a UFA deal, and he's played on some of the best DL organisations in the league (Baltimore, Carolina).

SOLB

Robert Ayers
6'3" 272lbs
1st round

This is where I see him anyway. Could see some time at RDE and at DT in the nickle. But I think he was drafted to be stout against the run and provide some pressure from the strong side.

Darrell Reid
6'2" 288lbs
5th year

can probably play some DE as well, and adds the versatility of being a ST standout.

Tim Crowder
6'4" 275lbs
3rd season

not ready to kick him to the curb just yet.

SILB

Andra Davis
6'1" 250lbs
8th season

Better than what we had. Has experience in a 34.

Spencer Larsen
6'2" 240lbs
2nd season

Lee Robinson
6'2" 249lbs
UDFA

Give him a year or two on the PS to see if he can be groomed to replace Davis in the not to distant future.

WILB

DJ Williams
6'1" 240lbs
6th season

Wesley Woodyard
6'1" 230lbs
2nd season

WOLB

Elvis Dumervil
5'11" 260lbs
4th season

he has long arms.

Jarvis Moss
6'6" 265lbs
3rd season

Put Crowder and Ayers in the mix here as well, especially if one or both of the above don't pan out. next to nose, its the most important spot in the 34, and also the biggest question mark.

Boss Bailey, I see exclusively as a Nickle LB or a coverage LB on 3rd and longs in the 34. I like Boss and DJ in the nickle, assuming we go with a 40 front nickle.

Louis Green and Mario Haggan are also currently on the roster, but I don't see either making the final 53.

That's every front seven guy on the roster, whether left over from last year, signed as a UFA, drafted this weekend, or signed as a UDFA today. No doubt there are question marks, but there's also potential. signing Baker is a huge part of that. it's not San Diego, but if a couple of question marks turn out to be check marks, we'll be an improved defense.

the way I see it, ridiculously early or not:

Askew
Powell
Thomas
Fields
Baker

EP on PS

Ayers
Fields
Davis
DJ
Doom
Crowder
Woodyard

LR on PS

you're welcome carl! :welcome: __________________________________________________ ___________

Good stuff, I agree.