PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else mad about how our draft went?

Pages : [1] 2

bullis26
04-26-2009, 01:00 PM
i'd prefer a Shannahan draft over this anyday..... A first for a second? WHAT? why not trade our first next year to the dolphins or below them and take the better corner in Vontae Davis, why trade up to draft a TE that'd be there in the third. Wheres the D-Line? Rey Mauluaga is there in the second and you take Alphlonso "5"9" Smith.

This draft sucks, Xanders sucks, MCD sucks, our scouts suck, i couldnt be more dissapointed with this draft

id rather of had Everrete Brown than robert Ayers

Peerless
04-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Shouldn't have traded Cutler.

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 01:06 PM
i'd prefer a Shannahan draft over this anyday..... A first for a second? WHAT? why not trade our first next year to the dolphins or below them and take the better corner in Vontae Davis, why trade up to draft a TE that'd be there in the third. Wheres the D-Line? Rey Mauluaga is there in the second and you take Alphlonso "5"9" Smith.

This draft sucks, Xanders sucks, MCD sucks, our scouts suck, i couldnt be more dissapointed with this draft

:lol:

The only freakishly retarded pick was drafting Richard Quinn in the 2nd. This draft has been pretty solid. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the drop off at Nose Tackle was extremely significant following BJ Raji? Why draft a player for need if he might not even be that good?

Alphonso Smith was a great pick, he's the best corner in the draft. I told you about Rey Maualuga, but you didn't want to listen. He's a 2 down linebacker with character issues......no need for him.

And Everette Brown slipped to the second round for a reason :coffee:

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I think McDaniels was so happy with Moreno and Ayers, who were both very good picks, that he decided to take the rest of the drafty off.

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Alphonso Smith was a great pick, he's the best corner in the draft. I told you about Rey Maualuga, but you didn't want to listen. He's a 2 down linebacker with character issues......no need for him.

With all due respect, so did Alphonso Smith.

RunYouOver
04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Everette Brown sucks, this draft is fine, get over it.

Hoshdude7
04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I am very pleased with most of our picks. The only thing I am dissapointed in is not pursuing a good/starting 34 or 43 dt in free agency

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 01:12 PM
With all due respect, so did Alphonso Smith.

EXACTLY. Using that first round pick to move up and get Brown or Brace would have made a lot more sense, AND... would have satisfied the fans a lot more. Now I know people willl say picks are made to "satisfy the fans" (which is not true)... but at least we wouldnt' be walkign away, scratching our heads, and wondering.. WHAT THE HELL????

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 01:13 PM

YOU told us??? You haven't said anything that you don't just cut-n-paste... plus, even if that wasn't true... what has happened to "prove" that assessment on Rey Rey right?

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 01:14 PM
EXACTLY. Using that first round pick to move up and get Brown or Brace would have made a lot more sense, AND... would have satisfied the fans a lot more. Now I know people willl say picks are made to "satisfy the fans" (which is not true)... but at least we wouldnt' be walkign away, scratching our heads, and wondering.. WHAT THE HELL????

Cutler didn't care about the fans...so maybe the FO doesn't either.

Get over it!

Alphonso Smith is a player and worth the trade.

Get over it!

Hoshdude7
04-26-2009, 01:14 PM

LOL brace sucks

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2009, 01:15 PM
LOL brace sucks

Apparently the Patriots don't think so, but hey, what do they know about players that win football games.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 01:16 PM

Get over it!

Get over it!

OHHH .. Ok.. since YOU say so :coffee:

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Apparently the Patriots don't think so, but hey, what do they know about players that win football games.

yeah.. not much..... I think they moved UP to get him too.

Superchop 7
04-26-2009, 01:19 PM
"I don't understand what the Broncos are doing"

Mike Mayock

Hoshdude7
04-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Ya I forgot NE has never drafted a bust

EMB6903
04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I am very happy with how this draft has played out..I loved our first 3 picks, dont know much about Mcbath... the only pick I think we reached on was drafting Quinn in the 2nd... we could have used those 3rd's

as for the 2nd day... we are looking good so far.

dogfish
04-26-2009, 01:34 PM

Mike Mayock

"I don't either."

Josh McDaniels

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 01:34 PM
"I don't either."

Josh McDaniels

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dogfish
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
seriously, i have no problem with any of the guys we've taken-- didn't like the way we burned picks, and i thought we reached for mcbath and quinn-- but i think we added some solid guys that will help the team. . .

but i just can't see that ayers is anywhere near close to enough to fix our shit front seven, which makes me think we're going to get run all over just like we have the last few years. . . .

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 01:40 PM
seriously, i have no problem with any of the guys we've taken-- didn't like the way we burned picks, and i thought we reached for mcbath and quinn-- but i think we added some solid guys that will help the team. . .

but i just can't see that ayers is anywhere near close to enough to fix our shit front seven, which makes me think we're going to get run all over just like we have the last few years. . . .

exactly. I think we spent picks for guys that the coaches were targeting.... but feel we should have used MORE picks for quantity and addressed the pink elephant :elefant:

Tned
04-26-2009, 01:48 PM

I'm not mad, but very surprised. I expected a lot more attention the front seven, but especially the D-line.

My only guess is that Nolan and McDaniels think that the players we have, with the addition of Ayers, can get the job done.

It would seem that Ayers, Thomas and Fields/Powell will be our front 3, but that obviously could change in training camp. With Dumerville, DJ, Davis, Moss/Bailey/Crowder as the LB's when in the 3-4 look.

I would have thought that group needed an upgrade, but clearly they either A. don't think it does, or B. didn't feel there were any upgrades available when they were on the clock.

I think our LB's will be serviceable, so I am fine with this draft if Ayers, Thomas Fields/Powell/Crowder can handle the front three duties.

TDmvp
04-26-2009, 01:53 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2222/throwbackf.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 01:59 PM
For those who think we reaxched on McBath, Dallas traded back after we took him cuz he was the guy they wanted and we took him from them. Dude has talent and Denver wasn't the only team who thought so.

dunk7
04-26-2009, 02:02 PM
What really sucks is when we finish 2-14 or 3-13, Seattle is going to have themselves a hell of a pick. I think McDaniels and Xanders are making their decisions based on the magic 8 ball.

weazel
04-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Mike Mayock

well, Im not defending our draft, but I cetainly am not listening to Mayock. his list was ridiculous. There was no way in hell Jackson was dropping to us, so once that was done, he should have stopped with his rhetoric.

Tned
04-26-2009, 02:05 PM
What really sucks is when we finish 2-14 or 3-13, Seattle is going to have themselves a hell of a pick. I think McDaniels and Xanders are making their decisions based on the magic 8 ball.

That's the kicker. Based on the moves they made, they must be confident that they can win going up against arguably the toughest schedule in '09. Our schedule is so tough, that a very good team could go 8-8. While I am usually the eternal optimist going into the season, it is hard to see us as a very good team come September.

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 02:05 PM
For those who think we reaxched on McBath, Dallas traded back after we took him cuz he was the guy they wanted and we took him from them. Dude has talent and Denver wasn't the only team who thought so.

that would mean something to me if you said the Pats or Colts or Steelers but the cowboys have not won a playoff game since Dec. 28, 1996..

not very impressive..

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 02:08 PM
well, Im not defending our draft, but I cetainly am not listening to Mayock. his list was ridiculous. There was no way in hell Jackson was dropping to us, so once that was done, he should have stopped with his rhetoric.

Dude is the best in the business. let me know when "weazel" get's to his level.

weazel
04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Dude is the best in the business. let me know when "weazel" get's to his level.

I never professed to do what he does "nevcraw". Get off the soap box, fanboy.

I give him credit, he's done it for a long time, but his lists are out there lately. I would rather watch the team this season and see the outcome rather than listen to a "best in the business" analyst tell me how these players will do...

topscribe
04-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Nope. Suprised? Yes. Angry? No.

I give credit to the FO that they know a lot more about football than I, so I
will wait for a while to see how they perform before I throw my shoe through
the television screen . . .

-----

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 02:12 PM
that would mean something to me if you said the Pats or Colts or Steelers but the cowboys have not won a playoff game since Dec. 28, 1996..

not very impressive..

The point is that he went in an area where others were looking at him. Since it wasn't Oakalnd, in my eyes that negates the reach discussion.

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 02:21 PM

Get over it!

Get over it!

I didn't realize you morphed into an 11 year old girl.

weazel
04-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I didn't realize you morphed into an 11 year old girl.

he thought it would be a fairer fight with you

Tned
04-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Get off the soap box, fanboy.

Seems like every thread I go in your on YOUR 'soap box' about not liking Mayock or his picks. What's the difference?

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I never professed to do what he does "nevcraw". Get off the soap box, fanboy.

I give him credit, he's done it for a long time, but his lists are out there lately. I would rather watch the team this season and see the outcome rather than listen to a "best in the business" analyst tell me how these players will do...

Me - Soap Box? hah re-read your little diatribe about not listening to Mayock..

I would rather listen to the the best in the business than some fan who thinks he can discredit him with is own ill informed opinions..

BroncoJoe
04-26-2009, 02:36 PM
No.

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 02:38 PM
he thought it would be a fairer fight with you

well played! :salute:

weazel
04-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Me - Soap Box? hah re-read your little diatribe about not listening to Mayock..

I would rather listen to the the best in the business than some fan who thinks he can discredit him with is own ill informed opinions..

probably just me but I would rather watch the team play and see how they develop. Maybe we can get Mayock to give us the scores to the games before they are played as well, then we wouldnt have to watch at all...

broncophan
04-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I think the draft is going good.......esp. our first 2 picks...

Thank God we traded Cutler.......or those first two picks would have never happened...

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Thank God we traded Cutler.......or those first two picks would have never happened...

really? we wouldn't still have had the 12th pick with Cutler stilll on the team??

weazel
04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
really? we wouldn't still have had the 12th pick with Cutler stilll on the team??

thats why he said 2

quickly put out your hand, make a fist. Now lift your index and middle fingers and count them out slowly.... 1 and 2!!!

tomorrow is english, don't be late.

just bustin' your balls man...

Tned

Plus, we wouldn't have gotten the enjoyment of seeing all the talking heads laughing their asses off about McDaniel's mishandling and loss of Cutler, and trading away next year's number 1.

It could have been really boring if McDaniels didn't screw things up so bad in his first couple months in Denver.

broncophan

sure we would have.....that is why I said our first...... 2......that's ..TWO......picks.......figured I would have to spell that out for you.....

broncophan
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Plus, we wouldn't have gotten the enjoyment of seeing all the talking heads laughing their asses off about McDaniel's mishandling and loss of Cutler, and trading away next year's number 1.

It could have been really boring if McDaniels didn't screw things up so bad in his first couple months in Denver.

Yea........not happy about trading our #1 pick next year......but other than that.....no complaints here...

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 02:46 PM
probably just me but I would rather watch the team play and see how they develop. Maybe we can get Mayock to give us the scores to the games before they are played as well, then we wouldnt have to watch at all...

you are the one questioning mayocks "lists"!?!? as the reason you don't listen to him.. so which is it? not listen to mayock because he makes crappy lists or because you would rather see it playout?

BTW - since I've watched every Bronco snipet on the NFL Channel - he has been very complimentary of the players selected..

Tned
04-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Yea........not happy about trading our #1 pick next year......but other than that.....no complaints here...

I am fairly comfortable with the picks, even though I thought the line would get more help than just Ayers. It's only trading the first that is hard to swallow, especially with the schedule we have coming up. I just keep trying to sell myself on the fact that McD must think we can win, and win right away to make a move like that. If he doesn't think we are a playoff team this year, than there is no excuse for trading that pick.

Magnificent Seven
04-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Looks like Pat Bowlen and Josh McDaniels have agreed to erase the whole depth charts in Offense and Defense. Refresh the whole thing in Broncos Organization.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 02:48 PM

sure we would have.....that is why I said our first...... 2......that's ..TWO......picks.......figured I would have to spell that out for you.....

Since both of your azzwhipes are both acting like jerks.. LET ME point out to you geniuses..

ONE of those TWO picks WOULD have happened anyway. ... Thus.. Cutler being gone did not allow us to have the TWO picks, it allowed us to have the SECOND pick. If you don't know the difference, thats not my fault.

Perhaps if you knew how to understand the difference between BOTH (being two) and the SECOND, I wouldn't have to treat you both like 1st graders.

Thus, to express your point... "Thank God we traded Cutler.......or those that second pick would have never happened..."

:coffee:

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 02:50 PM

Mayock owns weazel --->:coffee:

broncophan
04-26-2009, 02:50 PM

Yea................sure McD didn't handle the situation right....but none of those talking heads mentioned that CUTLER is the one who wanted out of Denver....

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Yea................sure McD didn't handle the situation right....but none of those talking heads mentioned that CUTLER is the one who wanted out of Denver....

Because all understood that could/should have been avoided :shrugs: or certainly how they all expressed that it shouldn't have happened, and that whether McDaniels (as a coach) doesn't like a players personality, they work it out....especially if you are going to hold the hat as the coach, OC, and QB coach.

broncophan
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Since both of your azzwhipes are both acting like jerks.. LET ME point out to you geniuses..

ONE of those TWO picks WOULD have happened anyway. ... Thus.. Cutler being gone did not allow us to have the TWO picks, it allowed us to have the SECOND pick. If you don't know the difference, thats not my fault.

Perhaps if you knew how to understand the difference between BOTH (being two) and the SECOND, I wouldn't have to treat you both like 1st graders.

Thus, to express your point... "Thank God we traded Cutler.......or those that second pick would have never happened..."

I suppose I will clarify for you......I highly doubt that we draft a stud rb like Moreno.....with Cutler as our qb.....therefore......those 2 picks would not have happened.....

Tned
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM

Yea, they did. They said that after McDaniels fumbled the ball, he shouldn't have given in to Cutler's demand. He had three years left on his contract, he had no leverage. "Jay, if you want to play, and get paid, you're playing in Denver." Happens every year in this league. Player's ask for trades and they don't get them.

Jay said he would show up for all mandatory practices. He never threatened to hold out.

weazel
04-26-2009, 02:54 PM
you are the one questioning mayocks "lists"!?!? as the reason you don't listen to him.. so which is it? not listen to mayock because he a crappy lists or because you would rather see it playout?

BTW - since I've watchewd every Bronco snipet on the NFL Channel - he has been very complimentary of the players selected..

I guess that would be both. Not saying his entire list is crappy either, I just find it odd that everyone on here values his judgement as gospel. Thats the only problem I have, so I guess its not Mayock that I disagree iwth, its the people that follow his word so blindly. (Kinda like religous people listening to the guy tell them to give him money or they are going to hell ... thats another topic.)

The way I see it is in every first round, you will have 2 or 4 great players, 2 or 4 busts and a bunch of average players that last a few seasons. Now if you are lucky enough to get one of those great ones and maybe get a couple more serviceable players in the draft, you had a good draft. Thats why I would rather let it play than listen to someone on the panel tell me how he will play in the NFL before the guy has ever put on an NFL uniform.

weazel
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Yea, they did. They said that after McDaniels fumbled the ball, he shouldn't have given in to Cutler's demand. He had three years left on his contract, he had no leverage. "Jay, if you want to play, and get paid, you're playing in Denver." Happens every year in this league. Player's ask for trades and they don't get them.

Jay said he would show up for all mandatory practices. He never threatened to hold out.

and that is exactly what I said they should do. tell him he's here, you dont want to play, welcome to the bench. But then I had a ton of people on here saying that would be ridiculous.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Alphonso Smith could have been had for less. Shit, we turned around and traded two thirds to get Quinn and a fourth; I think we could have been a bit wiser with our usage of picks in trading. Look at the Patriots who managed to wheel and deal around, get the players they want, and keep their firsts intact.

It's not even conceivable, either, as to why they traded Denver's pick instead of Chicago's, or that they didn't get any further compensation -- the trade was essentially a first for a second; um, where's the missing value? Broncos got robbed big time.

This will be more apparent to folks come next year, especially if we get our asses handed to us by this incredibly difficult schedule (sorry Orton, no Lions twice a year).

weazel
04-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Mayock owns weazel --->:coffee:

I stopped listening to you during the Cutler debacle. You flip-flopped way too much for me to value anything you say now.

Nomad
04-26-2009, 03:04 PM

No he shouldn't of given in to Cutler who acted like one of my 12 yr old QBs and he should of stayed and honored his contract and been there for his TEAMMATES. This gives me the reason to believe Bowlen had alot to do with trading Cutler, especially landing in Chicago!!!

Superchop 7
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Walters Football

(I disagree on Ayers, but I love the comments)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

12. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
With Tyson Jackson and B.J. Raji off the board, the Broncos didn't have many options here. They took the best player available in Knowshon Moreno. Denver's defense will continue to be epically horrific, but once again, Denver didn't have much of a choice. (Pick Grade: A)

18. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
I don't like this at all. Robert Ayers is a 1-year starter who wasn't nearly as productive as some of the other first-round prospects in this class. Ayers isn't a natural fit for the 3-4. Does he balloon up and play on the line? Do you play him at rush linebacker and get debacled in coverage? Then again, this pick was made by the same man who wanted a system quarterback over Jay Cutler. (Pick Grade: C)

37. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
Alphonso Smith is an OK pick. I don't know what the Browns plan on doing with their defensive line. The reason for the F? Denver gave up a 2010 first-round pick! If it was Denver's choice and not Chicago's, the Seahawks could be picking in the top five next April. (Pick Grade: F)

48. Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech
I guess you can never have too many defensive backs, eh? The Broncos needed a free safety to take over for Brian Dawkins in a year or two, but I really have to wonder what they're going to do with their defensive line. (Pick Grade: B)

64. Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina
Yet another confusing move by Josh McDaniels, who moved up into this selection. You don't take a blocking tight end in the second round, especially when you have huge holes on your defensive line. It's amazing to me that some teams just don't understand the concept of positional value. I don't care if Quinn becomes a very good player; this selection deserves a Z- because blocking tight ends should never go over defensive linemen in Round 2. (Pick Grade: Z-)

114. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame
Another defensive back, Josh? I like David Bruton, but it's very apparent that Josh McDaniels has absolutely no idea how to put an NFL team together. What are the Broncos going to do with their defensive line? (Pick Grade: C)

132. Seth Olsen, G, Iowa
Adding offensive line depth is never a bad idea. Reaching for prospects and ignoring the defensive line? That's another story. (Pick Grade: D)

141. Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina
Josh McDaniels is either really smart by finding these unknown players who are being considered reaches right now... or he'll be fired by Jan. 1, 2011. I'll lay -200 on the latter. (Pick Grade: D)

174. Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
Josh McDaniels finds his developmental quarterback. I have no problem with this draft choice. (Pick Grade: B)

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree with everything except Ayers and McKinley...but the comments are pretty right on as far as the rest go... especially Smith and McBath

weazel
04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Walters Football

(I disagree on Ayers, but I love the comments)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

12. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
With Tyson Jackson and B.J. Raji off the board, the Broncos didn't have many options here. They took the best player available in Knowshon Moreno. Denver's defense will continue to be epically horrific, but once again, Denver didn't have much of a choice. (Pick Grade: A)

18. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
I don't like this at all. Robert Ayers is a 1-year starter who wasn't nearly as productive as some of the other first-round prospects in this class. Ayers isn't a natural fit for the 3-4. Does he balloon up and play on the line? Do you play him at rush linebacker and get debacled in coverage? Then again, this pick was made by the same man who wanted a system quarterback over Jay Cutler. (Pick Grade: C)

37. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
Alphonso Smith is an OK pick. I don't know what the Browns plan on doing with their defensive line. The reason for the F? Denver gave up a 2010 first-round pick! If it was Denver's choice and not Chicago's, the Seahawks could be picking in the top five next April. (Pick Grade: F)

48. Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech
I guess you can never have too many defensive backs, eh? The Broncos needed a free safety to take over for Brian Dawkins in a year or two, but I really have to wonder what they're going to do with their defensive line. (Pick Grade: B)

64. Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina
Yet another confusing move by Josh McDaniels, who moved up into this selection. You don't take a blocking tight end in the second round, especially when you have huge holes on your defensive line. It's amazing to me that some teams just don't understand the concept of positional value. I don't care if Quinn becomes a very good player; this selection deserves a Z- because blocking tight ends should never go over defensive linemen in Round 2. (Pick Grade: Z-)

114. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame
Another defensive back, Josh? I like David Bruton, but it's very apparent that Josh McDaniels has absolutely no idea how to put an NFL team together. What are the Broncos going to do with their defensive line? (Pick Grade: C)

132. Seth Olsen, G, Iowa
Adding offensive line depth is never a bad idea. Reaching for prospects and ignoring the defensive line? That's another story. (Pick Grade: D)

141. Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina
Josh McDaniels is either really smart by finding these unknown players who are being considered reaches right now... or he'll be fired by Jan. 1, 2011. I'll lay -200 on the latter. (Pick Grade: D)

174. Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
Josh McDaniels finds his developmental quarterback. I have no problem with this draft choice. (Pick Grade: B)

well we now know how good all these players will and will not be! Now we can just release the ones he say's suck. Glad the coaching staff didnt have to spend time with them on the field to find all of this out!

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 03:26 PM
well we now know how good all these players will and will not be! Now we can just release the ones he say's suck. Glad the coaching staff didnt have to spend time with them on the field to find all of this out!

Dude... you don't seem to get teh concept of people sharing their opinion. You don't have a problem sharing your opinion about OTHER posters or about the commentators.... why do you have a problem with Them sharing their opinions about players?

Thats why the draft is SOOOO huge in the NFL and why its the ONE sport that can have a 2 day, all day, coverage of a draft..... because the fans like to talk about the players and the choices... and they DO NOT simply "love" all the picks because the coaches picked them. Coaches BLOW it alllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. We have a RIGHT to disagree, hate, bitch, moan, gripe, complain and give opinions about the players/choices that we find THEY made a mistake on. They aren't perfect... therefor they are up for criticism.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 03:33 PM
37th pick was worth 530 pts.

32nd pick is worth 590.

If Denver's pick is 12th or higher Seattle will have essentially doubled their received value.

The very definition of a robbery.

weazel
04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Dude... you don't seem to get teh concept of people sharing their opinion. You don't have a problem sharing your opinion about OTHER posters or about the commentators.... why do you have a problem with Them sharing their opinions about players?

Thats why the draft is SOOOO huge in the NFL and why its the ONE sport that can have a 2 day, all day, coverage of a draft..... because the fans like to talk about the players and the choices... and they DO NOT simply "love" all the picks because the coaches picked them. Coaches BLOW it alllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. We have a RIGHT to disagree, hate, bitch, moan, gripe, complain and give opinions about the players/choices that we find THEY made a mistake on. They aren't perfect... therefor they are up for criticism.

it was a joke. now take your heart pills and settle down... :beer:

Buff
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm not mad, but very surprised. I expected a lot more attention the front seven, but especially the D-line.

My only guess is that Nolan and McDaniels think that the players we have, with the addition of Ayers, can get the job done.

It would seem that Ayers, Thomas and Fields/Powell will be our front 3, but that obviously could change in training camp. With Dumerville, DJ, Davis, Moss/Bailey/Crowder as the LB's when in the 3-4 look.

I would have thought that group needed an upgrade, but clearly they either A. don't think it does, or B. didn't feel there were any upgrades available when they were on the clock.

I think our LB's will be serviceable, so I am fine with this draft if Ayers, Thomas Fields/Powell/Crowder can handle the front three duties.

Don't forget about M. Askew and K. Peterson... Who were running with the first team on the DL in minicamp.

Wesley Woodyard and Spencer Larsen were the starting inside linebackers, and Darrell Reid and Elvis Dumervil were on the outside. Things will shift when D.J. Williams and Boss Bailey are healthy enough to practice again, or if the Broncos draft a linebacker with an early pick. The first-team defensive line was Kenny Peterson and Matthias Askew at ends and Ronnie Fields at nose tackle. The line will change dramatically based on who Denver drafts, and it’s almost a guarantee the Broncos will spend some picks on defensive linemen.

http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/page/4/

Mr D
04-26-2009, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I'm sure you're one of the people who were happy with Eddie Royal, Marshall, Scheffler when they were drafted.

weazel
04-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you're one of the people who were happy with Eddie Royal, Marshall, Scheffler when they were drafted.

maybe he borrowed Mayock's crystal ball...

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 03:44 PM

At BC, everybody was RAGING mad when we drafted Royal in the 2nd. I'm glad we all aren't NFL General Managers....:lol:

Den21vsBal19
04-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Mad, no.............................

Confused.......................... YOU BET YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!

shank
04-26-2009, 03:46 PM

32nd pick is worth 590.

If Denver's pick is 12th or higher Seattle will have essentially doubled their received value.

you're using the quadratic formula to try and solve a biology problem, though. conversion is NOT 1:1 for future picks.

Tned
04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
it was a joke. now take your heart pills and settle down... :beer:

Well, 'apparently' you have made a 'lot' of 'jokes' today, so I don't think it's too surprising that your comments aren't being perceived as 'jokes'.

weazel
04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
you're using the quadratic formula to try and solve a biology problem, though. conversion is NOT 1:1 for future picks.

he's using Jimmy Johnson's draft formula, which is the same every single year. Robbed

SBboundBRONCOS
04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
im not so much mad with the players we got but more so . . . who we didnt get but thats all just personal preference, i would have picked others and not given up so much for the guys we got but i like the players we got

if that makes any sense

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
you're using the quadratic formula to try and solve a biology problem, though. [B]conversion is NOT 1:1 for future picks.[B]
let me try a more simple math equation for ya:

Shitty Defense + Future first round draft pick = GOLD

bad move.. especially with hindsight showing us we have not upgraded the same shitty Defense's weakest link. the line..

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM

bad move.. especially with hindsight showing us we have not upgraded the same shitty Defense's weakest link. the line..

last time I checked, we're transitioning away from the 4-3, so players are playing at new positions which potentially could be a better fit, meaning that our defensive line will be better. It's possible that McDaniels is comfortable with Fields, Peterson, and Thomas :noidea:

These guys do more homework on this shit than all of us combined...

shank
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM

you're taking issue with a different aspect of the pick. the value of the trade isn't far off.

if you don't like smith, that's a different argument.

EMB6903
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM

32nd pick is worth 590.

robbery? says who?

what if Alphonso Smith turns out to be an all pro for the next 5 years?

how about we wait and see how it plays out before we make comments like that....

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM
you're taking issue with a different aspect of the pick. the value of the trade isn't far off.

if you don't like smith, that's a different argument.

the VALUE of that pick is pretty off to me. Chances are thats easily a top 10 (or even 12) pick in next years draft. Is this DB worth a top 10-12 pick?

So to me, the value is very much off.

shank
04-26-2009, 03:58 PM
i'm really not too upset. i personally would have hit the front 7 hard. we didn't, so my ego is hurt. i REALLy hope it means that nolan feels pretty comfortable with the pieces we already have in place, and not that we are ignoring needs. we already upgraded the most important position on defense by 1000-fold. i have faith that mike nolan will get much better production out of these same players than slowik did. we'll see how far that carries us...

the thing i take the most issue with is value, and the more that i read and think about it, the less value we have been wasting. i have kind of a problem with the trades up for smith, quinn, and brandstater, but who am i to say taht the moves weren't necessary? i like all the players, so if they thought they needed to do that to get them, then i'll buy it.

this is nothing like 07 where i felt that we were so dumb as to trade up for a bad player (moss). we are trading up for guys who will contribute.

shank
04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
the VALUE of that pick is pretty off to me. Chances are thats easily a top 10 (or even 12) pick in next years draft. Is this DB worth a top 10-12 pick?

i'm pretty sure the general rule of thumb for trading future picks is that they are halved in value. a 1st then for a 2nd now. a 2nd then for a 4th now. there are obviously variations, but i think that's the starting point.

if i was mcd, i would have made the deal for the lower of the two 1st we hold to protect against giving up a top 12 pick... but he didn't, which hurts. but it's what he felt he needed to do to get the trade done, and i like the player that we took.

1. smith was a great pick at 37.

2. trading next years first is a standard compensation for acquiring a 2nd round pick in this years draft.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 04:03 PM

:laugh::laugh:

Still at it...:rolleyes:

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 04:06 PM
i'm pretty sure the general rule of thumb for trading future picks is that they are halved in value. a 1st then for a 2nd now. a 2nd then for a 4th now. there are obviously variations, but i think that's the starting point.

if i was mcd, i would have made the deal for the lower of the two 1st we hold to protect against giving up a top 12 pick... but he didn't, which hurts. but it's what he felt he needed to do to get the trade done, and i like the player that we took.

2. trading next years first is a standard compensation for acquiring a 2nd round pick in this years draft.

Yet.... carolina just a few picks back from us, traded away a first, but got a fourth. Plus, as you said, he gave away our Natural 1st pick... which is the lower of the two first round picks (yes, for those reading, I know we don't KNOW yet)... but its pretty easy to see that the Bears are a better team than we are right now.

Then... its the position picked after giving that up. So I don't think we got good value for what we gave away. I don't think that this DB, one that is considered to have questionable size AND questionable speed, is worth what could VERy easily be a top 10 or lower pick.

Even the Seattle GM said that he didn't expect that to be on the table, and was surprised. Just seems our coach/GM showed their lack of experience and were 'taken' on this deal.

LoyalSoldier
04-26-2009, 04:11 PM

Um you use the quadratic all the time in biology. In fact you also use a lot of calculus when dealing with rates. :rolleyes:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
last time I checked, we're transitioning away from the 4-3, so players are playing at new positions which potentially could be a better fit, meaning that our defensive line will be better. It's possible that McDaniels is comfortable with Fields, Peterson, and Thomas :noidea:

These guys do more homework on this shit than all of us combined...

a better fit than anybody in next year's draft? they are not Nostradomus..

U can't convince me (unless the CB becomes a true stud) that trading a number one pick with so many holes on this team is a good idea for a second round player.

shank
04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Yet.... carolina just a few picks back from us, traded away a first, but got a fourth. Plus, as you said, he gave away our Natural 1st pick... which is the lower of the two first round picks (yes, for those reading, I know we don't KNOW yet)... but its pretty easy to see that the Bears are a better team than we are right now.

Then... its the position picked after giving that up. So I don't think we got good value for what we gave away. I don't think that this DB, one that is considered to have questionable size AND questionable speed, is worth what could VERy easily be a top 10 or lower pick.

Even the Seattle GM said that he didn't expect that to be on the table, and was surprised. Just seems our coach/GM showed their lack of experience and were 'taken' on this deal.
i'm really not disagreeing with you. i really think that our FO has shown their inexperience in this draft, but the results that it has yielded really aren't that objectionable IMO. we are getting good players. but we are also leaving unused value out there.

i feel like McD was telling the truth when he said that their board didn't have many players on it, and that's the cause of many of these trades. it seems that they were underprepared in creating their board and had limited options after things started to go differently than they had anticipated and had to make these desparate moves in order to not get hosed even harder with a desparation pick.

i also feel like they made their board, and stuck to it without fail. they didn't pick anyone based on position, just how they had them rated. not my way of doing things, but if they had these guys rated correctly, then we STILL walk away with a large number of good football players, which is why i'm not upset. McXanders could have done a lot worse IMO, especially with no track record to aid us fans with our anticipation.

LoyalSoldier
04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
robbery? says who?

what if Alphonso Smith turns out to be an all pro for the next 5 years?

how about we wait and see how it plays out before we make comments like that....

That or we win so many games next year are the only conditions I see it being justified at all.

shank
04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Um you use the quadratic all the time in biology. In fact you also use a lot of calculus when dealing with rates. :rolleyes:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

ok nitpicker, undermining my fairly logical metaphor...

he was using the quadratic formula to mix brownie batter.

LoyalSoldier
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
ok nitpicker, undermining my fairly logical metaphor...

Just saying. Biology uses a lot of math.

he was using the quadratic formula to mix brownie batter.

Well if you really want to go there......:lol:

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Really? how often does it happen? Maybe if you are the Raiders..

It's a first rounder we are talking about.. This is Not next years 6th for this years's 7th..

shank
04-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Really? how often does it happen? Maybe if you are the Raiders..

It's a first rounder we are talking about.. This is Not next years 6th for this years's 7th..

it happened twice in THIS draft

shank
04-26-2009, 04:23 PM
i feel weird being on this side of the argument... i'm usually one of the people with a pitchfork.

Mr D
04-26-2009, 04:26 PM
No, no reason to be until players play.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM

Get over it!

Get over it!

Will you be saying that if the Broncos go 4-12? Nobody is that stupid, he's not worth it if they go 8-8 again.......

Nomad
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
no, no reason to be until players play.

qft!!

shank
04-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Will you be saying that if the Broncos go 4-12? Nobody is that stupid, he's not worth it if they go 8-8 again.......

i guess hindsight is 20-20 link... even when it's a year early. :coffee:

BroncoJoe
04-26-2009, 04:28 PM

19th hardest schedule. I think we'll be OK.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
it happened twice in THIS draft

The Panthers got a worse 2nd (and a better player) and a 4th for a worse 1st rounder.......the Broncos are closer to the Raiders end of the equation than the Panthers end........

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
19th hardest schedule. I think we'll be OK.

Have you looked at the schedule or are you puking stats? The Broncos schedule is f'ing brutal, they play 8 of the last 9 SuperBowl winners.......

shank
04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
The Panthers got a worse 2nd (and a better player) and a 4th for a worse 1st rounder.......the Broncos are closer to the Raiders end of the equation than the Panthers end........

it doesn't mean it didn't happen. the value we got wasn't great, and i feel it shows our FO's inexperience... BUT it's not a trade-rape like you guys are making it out to be.

bullis26
04-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Marshall yes, i was EXTREMELY happy with that selection, royal i was very pissed with i will admit, i wanted DeSean Jackon, i wouldnt have minded Eddie in the 4th or even 3rd, but i didnt see him going at all in the second.... and Scheffler was projected to be about a 2nd round pick, if i remeber correctly

bullis26
04-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Get over it!

Get over it!

okay is he a high first round pick? NOPE! we could have gotten a great defensive back next year, i think there was a possibility of landing berry if he comes out, cuz i dont think we'll be too good next year.... but Taylor Mays is also a guy we could've got.... two defensive backs worth a lot more than alphlonso smith, and we'll end up giving up just as much for them

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 04:49 PM
it doesn't mean it didn't happen. the value we got wasn't great, and i feel it shows our FO's inexperience... BUT it's not a trade-rape like you guys are making it out to be.

not the same thing at all.. and here I was going to conceede the point..

Tned
04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
okay is he a high first round pick? NOPE! we could have gotten a great defensive back next year, i think there was a possibility of landing berry if he comes out, cuz i dont think we'll be too good next year.... but Taylor Mays is also a guy we could've got.... two defensive backs worth a lot more than alphlonso smith, and we'll end up giving up just as much for them

On the flip side, and I HATE that we gave up the first, we have been consistantly torched by slot receivers for a while. If this kid can come in and start at nickel and cover the slot guys, he could be a big boon for the defense.

Worthy of our first next year? Hard to see that.

shank
04-26-2009, 04:52 PM
On the flip side, and I HATE that we gave up the first, we have been consistantly torched by slot receivers for a while. If this kid can come in and start at nickel and cover the slot guys, he could be a big boon for the defense.

Worthy of our first next year? Hard to see that.

i'll never forget this one:

Receiving REC YDS TD LG
G. Camarillo 11 111 0 23

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 05:05 PM

Next year? I am so tired of hearing about the draft, and who we can get next year, trading next years pick...blah blah blah.

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Next year? I am so tired of hearing about the draft, and who we can get next year, trading next years pick...blah blah blah.
better take up knitting...

atwater27
04-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Oh, but the real reason the Pats were so good was McDaniels. So we are all set!

56crash
04-26-2009, 05:42 PM
if we would of just made the picks I bet not one of us would of bitched .I would not of if they would of trade the bear#1 pick I would of been fine . the pressing plain sucked.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM

A Top10-15-20 pick for a 2nd round player isn't rape? WhatEver! So be it.......

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 05:58 PM
if we would of just made the picks I bet not one of us would of bitched .I would not of if they would of trade the bear#1 pick I would of been fine . the pressing plain sucked.

Somebody always complains. Out of the original 10 picks, people would have been complaining about atleast half of them because they didn't get THEIR pick or THEIR guy. Its called the Cutler syndrome. If you don't understand or agree with the organization, you cry and whine about it.

atwater27
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Somebody always complains. Out of the original 10 picks, people would have been complaining about atleast half of them because they didn't get THEIR pick or THEIR guy. Its called the Cutler syndrome. If you don't understand or agree with the organization, you cry and whine about it.

No, that would be the Elway syndrome. He started it back in 83. And if he wasn't a whiny crybaby bitch like Cutler, you might have never been a fan of the Broncos. Chew on that one for awhile.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 06:05 PM
No, that would be the Elway syndrome. He started it back in 83. And if he wasn't a whiny crybaby bitch like Cutler, you might have never been a fan of the Broncos. Chew on that one for awhile.

Um I would have still been a fan of the Broncos regardless if Elway was here or not. I cheer for TEAMs...not PLAYERs. Chew on that one for a while.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 06:05 PM

I don't see how you can compare the 2. Elway had the leverage of baseball and a legit gripe about the organization as a whole in Bmore...as evidenced when they left town like bitches in the middle of the night.

Cutler had 3 years left on his deal that he had already signed, asked to be traded and then proceeded to whine kid an 8 year old when they then tried to trade him.

atwater27
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't see how you can compare the 2. Elway had the leverage of baseball and a legit gripe about the organization as a whole in Bmore...as evidenced when they left town like bitches in the middle of the night.

Cutler had 3 years left on his deal that he had already signed, asked to be traded and then proceeded to whine kid an 8 year old when they then tried to trade him.

I would say Cutler had a legitimate gripe about the organization as a whole. His defense SUCKED, but Mckid wanted to **** with the offense.
Elway was drafted fair and square, and I am glad he was a bitch about that situation.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I would say Cutler had a legitimate gripe about the organization as a whole. His defense SUCKED, but Mckid wanted to **** with the offense.
Elway was drafted fair and square, and I am glad he was a bitch about that situation.

I'm glad he did too...and to be honest I am one who likely wouldn't be a Bronco fan had he not. Then again, I started watching football in 1985 at teh age of 9. Had Elway not been destroying the local Browns, I basically wouldn't have been exposed to Denver enough to know they even existed.

atwater27
04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm glad he did too...and to be honest I am one who likely wouldn't be a Bronco fan had he not. Then again, I started watching football in 1985 at teh age of 9. Had Elway not been destroying the local Browns, I basically wouldn't have been exposed to Denver enough to know they even existed.

Guess we are about the same age, because that's when I started watching them.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Guess we are about the same age, because that's when I started watching them.

I was a fan of the Skins (Art Monk), Rams (Eric Dickerson) and Broncos (Elway). By the age of 11, it was all about the orange. Still love AM and ED, but not their teams.

Dreadnought
04-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Cutler had more legitimate beefs with our management than Elway had with Bob Irsay's Colts - because his were based solely on their terrible reputation, not direct personal evidence of weaseling and dishonesty. Elway didn't want a thing to do with the Colts, and manoevered himself out. Cutler apparently didn't want a thing to do with McDaniels, and manoevered himself out as well. Justified? I think so, but that's in the past and all we can do is agree to differ if you disagree. If I was Cutler I don't think I'd want anything to do with this organization anymore either, so he used his leverage and got moved.

SBboundBRONCOS
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM

How the hell did he want to **** with the O

he brought in HIS people . . . which is what EVERY SINGLE coach does, and then only listened to trade talks (as far as we know) why the hell is that so hard for people to understand

Tned
04-26-2009, 06:18 PM

he brought in HIS people . . . which is what EVERY SINGLE coach does, and then only listened to trade talks (as far as we know) why the hell is that so hard for people to understand

Trying to replace the QB is a pretty big step towards ******* with the O.

Tned
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow, I think he just said the Broncos only had about 100 people on their draft board, offense and defense combined. That doesn't seem like a very large board, but I don't know what is the norm. Anyone know?

shank
04-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Wow, I think he just said the Broncos only had about 100 people on their draft board, offense and defense combined. That doesn't seem like a very large board, but I don't know what is the norm. Anyone know?

i feel like having a small board was the reason for making the moves we did, because they had to get the players they had on their board. inexperience may have lead to unpreparedness?

claymore
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
i feel like having a small board was the reason for making the moves we did, because they had to get the players they had on their board. inexperience may have lead to unpreparedness?

If they are trying to get good character, tough hard working kids I wouldnt be shocked if they only had 20 on their board. :drinking:

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM

He started trading his Franchise QB the second the official season started, that's the definition of fuking with the offense.......

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
still find it funny that people actually believe he only 'listened to phone calls'

dogfish
04-26-2009, 06:36 PM

well T, there are only about 220-230 picks in the draft, so they figured 100 should cover it. . . . LMAO! :rofl:

seriously, how people can defend the way our rookie FO handled the draft past the first round is beyond me. . . .

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 06:39 PM
well T, there are only about 220-230 picks in the draft, so they figured 100 should cover it. . . . LMAO! :rofl:

seriously, how people can defend the way our rookie FO handled the draft past the first round is beyond me. . . .

Other than the fact that we haven't played a game yet...

Just out of curiosity, how can you condemn the front office for the way they handled the draft?

Tned
04-26-2009, 06:41 PM

I know it's clearly not the same, but when I go into my 12 team, NL only fantasy draft, with 25 man rosters, I go in with around 350 names, not just the ones I want.

I just hope it works out, that he makes us soon say, "mastermind, who???"

Italianmobstr7

Well since we don't know how the players drafted are going to pan out yet, there's really no reason to be angry. They had players THEY wanted not what the fans wanted, and they went and got them. Can't really bash it until we know what we got out of it.

Ravage!!!

Just out of curiosity, how can you condemn the front office for the way they handled the draft?

seems they were eager to give away picks. Trading up to the second for a blocking TE by giving away both thirds?? Moving up into the second by giving away OUR next year's third? Giving away yet even more lower round picks to move up in the 6th to get some QB?

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I know it's clearly not the same, but when I go into my 12 team, NL only fantasy draft, with 25 man rosters, I go in with around 350 names, not just the ones I want.

I just hope it works out, that he makes us soon say, "mastermind, who???"

yeah... I was thinking the same thing. I feel like I've been more prepared and careful with picks during a fantasy draft... and those are players we KNOW

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
seems they were eager to give away picks. Trading up to the second for a blocking TE by giving away both thirds?? Moving up into the second by giving away OUR next year's third? Giving away yet even more lower round picks to move up in the 6th to get some QB?

And I agree, but can we wait to condemn the organization until we've at least PLAYED A GAME?

NickelTG
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM
The white knights are funny. I honestly believe Mcd could have drafted kickers and punters,and some people would talk about painting "the big picture". Some people appear to be in denial about the draft in general.Which is fine by me,but acting like people are idiots for questioning picks that basically everyone outside the broncos organization questions is just strong white knightin.(in before "what does ----- know about football" ie. anyone who disagrees that the broncos had a great draft)

I understand being "positive",but I thought this site allowed you to express your opinion. I'm willing to bet google would have more results with "broncos draft (insert negative word),then broncos draft had (insert positive word).

dogfish
04-26-2009, 06:43 PM

well, the fact that they were only prepared with grades on a hundred or so players in a draft that goes twice that deep is, ya know, kind of an indictment of their preparedness. . . . what was the plan for the rest of the draft, pick names out of a hat?

but sure, the ends justify the means, and if these guys work out then i think we should use the same strategy next year. . .

seriously MO, if you had a deadline for a 3,000 word article, would you turn in 1,500 words and say "as long as people like it, my work is done?"

:noidea:

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 06:45 PM
And I agree, but can we wait to condemn the organization until we've at least PLAYED A GAME?

well.. thats a different type of criticism. We all watch our teams to death and evaluate every player picked up, traded, traded for, or simply cut. This isn't different. Everyone here had their favorite players, and/or favorite positions. Its hard to simply ignore your feelings and your observations to put it off for 3 years UNTIL we see. We KNOW what our feelings are about what we see NOW. Those feelings may change, but as of right now, from what we have observed, the FO didn't exactly look prepared for this draft. Especially with a few of the moves they made to move UP and get... :confused: type picks.

I mean.. if we picked Terrell Davis in the first round.... we would be saying "what the hell" because the VALUE wasn't there. Doesn't matter how he turned out...because we STILL could have picked him up in the 6th round.

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
The white knights are funny. I honestly believe Mcd could have drafted kickers and punters,and some people would talk about painting "the big picture". Some people appear to be in denial about the draft in general.Which is fine by me,but acting like people are idiots for questioning picks that basically everyone outside the broncos organization questions is just strong white knightin.(in before "what does ----- know about football" ie. anyone who disagrees that the broncos had a great draft)

I understand being "positive",but I thought this site allowed you to express your opinion. I'm willing to bet google would have more results with "broncos draft (insert negative word),then broncos draft had (insert positive word).

How hard is it to understand that I want to wait to see what the product looks before condemning it? I am not being "positive," I just don't understand how we can condemn them for anything at this point. By the way, we're still a few months away from PLAYING A GAME!

well, the fact that they were only prepared with grades on a hundred or so players in a draft that goes twice that deep is, ya know, kind of an indictment of their preparedness. . . . what was the plan for the rest of the draft, pick names out of a hat?

but sure, the ends justify the means, and if these guys work out then i think we should use the same strategy next year. . .

seriously MO, if you had a deadline for a 3,000 word article, would you turn in 1,500 words and say "as long as people like it, my work is done?"

What was the exact quote? What did he say, I wasn't watching the press conference.

I would imagine that they evaluated ALL of the players and made a board of about 100-120 that they liked and left off the other players, because AFTER evaluating them, they realized they didn't want to select them. I don't find one problem with that. Not one.

In other words...I'd write 6,000 words and eliminate 3,000 of them.

Nomad
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM

I guess this is the way I look at it. Again I don't follow drafts very often but the evaluation should be after the season, if that. Though i came into this draft with wanted to fix the DL, I don't know what the coaches/scouts didn't see and what they see in the current players on the roster. I hope with what McD did was fix the special teams but if we don't have any kind of pass rush then it'll be hard to defend this draft especially some of the DLineman they passed up have a successful year. I'll trust MCD for now but I'm sure he has a plan!!

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM

No.

It's called foresight.

If you refuse to use it why are you even here?

And more so, why do these quips only appear against people criticizing? I have yet seen someone go, "HEY, just wait until we PLAY!" to someone saying Moreno will be great. Clearly there's more to this crap then people let on.

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
No.

It's called foresight.

If you refuse to use it why are you even here?

And more so, why do these quips only appear against people criticizing? I have yet seen someone go, "HEY, just wait until we PLAY!" to someone saying Moreno will be great. Clearly there's more to this crap then people let on.

Then say it to them.

Let's see...according to this post, "foresight" can only be negative, and "let's wait until we play" is only positive.

Once again...maybe people will read this part...I am highly skeptical of what we did in the second round. Trading the extra picks (especially a first) is questionable, especially for a CB and a blocking TE. But can we wait to see them play before writing them off? Is that too much to ask?

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Then say it to them.

Let's see...according to this post, "foresight" can only be negative, and "let's wait until we play" is only positive.

Once again...maybe people will read this part...I am highly skeptical of what we did in the second round. Trading the extra picks (especially a first) is questionable, especially for a CB and a blocking TE. But can we wait to see them play before writing them off? Is that too much to ask?

No, foresight can be what you wish. And I did not say that "let's wait until they play" was only positive, but that it only showed up against people being critical. People could say it to someone being positive, but I have yet to see it.

As for discussion... Again I ask, why exactly are you here? You shun discussion but then stick around anyway. If you don't want to have some foresight okay then, bye bye. Let the rest of us talk it over -- it's called a forum for a reason.

claymore
04-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Well since we don't know how the players drafted are going to pan out yet, there's really no reason to be angry. They had players THEY wanted not what the fans wanted, and they went and got them. Can't really bash it until we know what we got out of it.
McD was proactive. He might of payed more for the player he wanted for certain positions, but he damn sure got'em.

I would much rather get a player he covets than be reactionary and get someone that didnt fit right but was rated higher.

NickelTG
04-26-2009, 07:02 PM
How hard is it to understand that I want to wait to see what the product looks before condemning it? I am not being "positive," I just don't understand how we can condemn them for anything at this point. By the way, we're still a few months away from PLAYING A GAME!

Your opinion is definitely your own,and it's a wonderful world because of it. However, I've seen a few people bitching and moaning about people bitching and moaning about the draft. Well, they are entitled to their opinion the same way you are entitled to yours.

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Your opinion is definitely your own,and it's a wonderful world because of it. However, I've seen a few people bitching and moaning about people bitching and moaning about the draft. Well, they are entitled to their opinion the same way you are entitled to yours.

And no one is stopping them from posting that, are they?

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:13 PM

Ha ha...so is McD's, Xanders, and Bowlen's opinion.

Trust me, their opinion is really the only one that counts. I love debating just like the next guy, but when it all comes down to it if people don't like their opinions on here picked apart, then I guess those who don't like it shouldn't pick apart the FO's opinions on these players.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Ha ha...so is McD's, Xanders, and Bowlen's opinion.

Trust me, their opinion is really the only one that counts. I love debating just like the next guy, but when it all comes down to it if people don't like their opinions on here picked apart, then I guess those who don't like it shouldn't pick apart the FO's opinions on these players.

I don't think telling people to shut up is "picking apart" their opinions.

claymore
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
And no one is stopping them from posting that, are they?

MO, I think you're roid raging.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
well.. thats a different type of criticism. We all watch our teams to death and evaluate every player picked up, traded, traded for, or simply cut. This isn't different. Everyone here had their favorite players, and/or favorite positions. Its hard to simply ignore your feelings and your observations to put it off for 3 years UNTIL we see. We KNOW what our feelings are about what we see NOW. Those feelings may change, but as of right now, from what we have observed, the FO didn't exactly look prepared for this draft. Especially with a few of the moves they made to move UP and get... :confused: type picks.

I mean.. if we picked Terrell Davis in the first round.... we would be saying "what the hell" because the VALUE wasn't there. Doesn't matter how he turned out...because we STILL could have picked him up in the 6th round.

Thats YOUR opinion. Maybe you should respect the FO's opinion on who they drafted.;)

From the press conference's I have watched, McD said he had a plan going in.
Plan A. Only had a select number of players on their board - CHECK
Plan B. Draft ONLY the players they had on their board - CHECK
Plan C. Move up if they felt their players wouldn't be there come their pick. CHECK

Sounds pretty prepared to me. Just because YOU don't think they came in prepared doesn't mean they weren't.

They obviously weren't listening to the VAST MAJORITY hacks on TV and Radio that you tend to believe in.

Broncolingus
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I remember a lot of 'fans' thought Shannon Sharpe and Terrell Davis were 'wasted' picks...

Anybody else mad about how our draft went?

...ask me at the end of the season.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think telling people to shut up is "picking apart" their opinions.

Shut up

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Thats YOUR opinion. Maybe you should respect the FO's opinion on who they drafted.;)

We only have to respect the opinions of people on the board. It's in the COC.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Thats right.. its MY opinion..and MY opinion that I'm going to continue to post OVER AND OVER AND OVER again WTM.... because I find it funny that you continue to follow my posts and BITCh about everything :laugh:

So yes.. Thats MY opinion... GOT IT? GOT IT WTM??? See.. I can post/say/type and express MY OPINION and you can continue to follow me around, like a lost puppy dog, and try to tell me again and again YOUR opinion. After all, you are so high it :coffee:

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
I remember a lot of 'fans' thought Shannon Sharpe and Terrell Davis were 'wasted' picks...

6th round picks are wasted picks......

trading away 2 3rd round picks for a blocking TE.. trading away a first round pick for a second round corner.. now thats wasted picks :D

(pssst... just so you know and before WTM comes to tell you, thats MY opinion)

Nomad
04-26-2009, 07:30 PM

True!

What I have gathered from here most are open-minded about what McD and co have done, but the ones who really dislike McD for letting Cutler go and people who can't let the fact Shanny is gone will have nothing positive to say about McD, no matter what he does! Hell, he could lead this team to the playoffs and a SB and the same people would criticize his every move..but it's their opinions.

I agree about evaluating after the season!!

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
True!

What I have gathered from here most are open-minded about what McD and co have done, but the ones who really dislike McD for letting Cutler go and people who can't let the fact Shanny is gone will have nothing positive to say about McD, no matter what he does! Hell, he could lead this team to the playoffs and a SB and the same people would criticize his every move..but it's their opinions.

Spot on!!
:beer:

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
True!

There is no correlation.

Many around here have admitted they were behind McD but simply cannot make sense of the mess he made in the draft.

Also, why are you here too?

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
TMany around here have admitted they were behind McD but simply cannot make sense of the mess he made in the draft.

Once again, have we played a game yet?

I must have slept through the entire season...:noidea:

According to NUB, the only people that are allowed to post are people who hate Josh McDaniels.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:42 PM
There is no correlation.

Many around here have admitted they were behind McD but simply cannot make sense of the mess he made in the draft.

:laugh:

Your absolutely blind or nieve if you think that.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Once again, have we played a game yet?

I must have slept through the entire season...:noidea:

According to NUB, the only people that are allowed to post are people who hate Josh McDaniels.

Wow. I don't think you could be further from the truth.

Me: Everyone's opinion is welcome. Let's discuss.

You: Shut up. Season hasn't started yet.

G_Money
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Drafts are 3 year evaluation processes, at least. Unless you blew all your picks and they're all out of the league by then, anyway. :tsk:

First-year WRs don't normally do much, so McKinley not showing up isn't a huge thing in year one. Royal's the exception, not the rule.

First-year OL almost never start for us unless their name happens to be Clady, so the kid from Iowa will likely not even see the field.

First year DL RARELY make an impact, even first rounders, so we're not looking for (or at least shouldn't be looking for) massive numbers from Ayers, or even for him to start til later in the year.

Moreno should be an instant contributor. Smith should win the nickel slot (I don't expect him to push Goodman for starting CB this year). The rest might be package players or STers. Quinn will get on the field to block just to justify his draft position, probably.

But certainly for the first year - Moreno aside - this was a depth draft. We added secondary guys to train up behind the older vets we have there now. We added a DL and an OL and a TE to understudy and get their feet wet.

We didn't add positions of immediate impact. If they wind up impacting us, either the injury bug or incompetence in free agency laid waste to us or they were excellent, excellent picks who forced out higher-paid vets early on when they weren't expected to.

This was a draft that should bear fruit 1-2 years from now if things go well. Moreno's there for the instant gratification folks. Josh obviously believes he'll be here long enough to see these guys play well, because you don't normally draft players for the next coach to hang his hat on.

Right now, other than the running game, the biggest impact most of them will have would be on Special Teams. Don't lose your minds if next year most of these guys don't have their names called much. It wasn't that kind of draft.

I'm not thrilled about the draft, nor the way we added them (we'll see JUST what Smith cost us next year, but I think that's a pick that's gonna hurt next April too) but we did add some capable players, especially in certain roles.

Those roles just aren't "world-beater full of awesomeness" - not off the bat for sure.

~G

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Me: Everyone's opinion is welcome. Let's discuss.

shank
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
the fact that people are criticizing McD and the draft doesn't bother me...

it's that so many of the people who ARE, are prophesizing that we will be terrible. this doesn't apply to all of 'you guys,' but it really gives me the impression that you would prefer to see the broncos fail, just so that you'll turn out to be right. it's hard to take it all back when you're so adamant against the moves we have made. where do you stand if things don't turn out badly? and does it really make you feel better to be right when it means the broncos are in terrible shape?

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Yes, now point out where I'm saying whose opinion is allowed.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM

it's that so many of the people who ARE, are prophesizing that we will be terrible. this doesn't apply to all of 'you guys,' but it really gives me the impression that you would prefer to see the broncos fail, just so that you'll turn out to be right. it's hard to take it all back when you're so adamant against the moves we have made. where do you stand if things don't turn out badly?

It's being realistic.

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, now point out where I'm saying whose opinion is allowed.

I don't know who's opinion is allowed NUB, I can't figure that out. So far, you've told me to get out, and you've told BroncosBlitz to get out.

Neither of us are of the opinion that Josh McDaniels should be fired...

Once again...still confused...

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:49 PM

it's that so many of the people who ARE, are prophesizing that we will be terrible. this doesn't apply to all of 'you guys,' but it really gives me the impression that you would prefer to see the broncos fail, just so that you'll turn out to be right. it's hard to take it all back when you're so adamant against the moves we have made. where do you stand if things don't turn out badly?

I agree!!

Its the DOOM and GLOOM approach so many have. And most have NEVER seen or KNEW who these guys are that we drafted with the exception of maybe Moreno and Ayers.

The FO has already invested thousands of dollars, time, and sleepless hours evaluating these guys. I tend to believe that they were all picked for a reason and there was a PLAN in place to get them.

They were just on their board because it was the popular pick of the VAST MAJORITY hacks in the media. They were on their board because they had a vested interest in them and how they can contribute to this team.

If my opinion and positive approach to all of this turns out wrong and we go 5-11, then so be it. Atleast I am not throwing in the towel before the season even gets under way and saying I will not buy tickets or Bronco gear this year. :rolleyes:

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 07:50 PM
It's being realistic.

So condemning everything Josh McDaniels has done before setting foot on the field to coach is "realistic.:

Noted.

Nomad
04-26-2009, 07:50 PM

it's that so many of the people who ARE, are prophesizing that we will be terrible. this doesn't apply to all of 'you guys,' but it really gives me the impression that you would prefer to see the broncos fail, just so that you'll turn out to be right. it's hard to take it all back when you're so adamant against the moves we have made. where do you stand if things don't turn out badly? and does it really make you feel better to be right when it means the broncos are in terrible shape?

This is the way I see it as well. I'm all for debate but I see many here wishing Mcdaniels to fail which means the BRONCOS failing. Spare me.....'it's my prediction' or 'my opinion' line!

G_Money
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think Orton can QB us to massive success.

I don't think Nolan can turn around a D with scheme alone - he needs talent too.

I don't think McDaniels is the sort to inspire trust if things start to go downhill, and may lose the team, especially guys who were here with Shanahan and are not "his guys."

But if Nolan can make our D work like gangbusters, and Orton gleans every ounce of production from Josh's system, and Josh keeps the troops fired up, we could do well.

And I would be happy, because being realistic about what it all looks like right now doesn't mean I want to be right. I just can't shelve my brain and imagine the most optimistic scenario to start the season with.

I would hope everyone would bring some bits of optimism and some bits of realism to the table. What's the fun of being a fan if you can't hope for the best results, but have a critical eye toward the process getting there? ;)

~G

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
It's being realistic.

Actually its pulling the cart before the horse. NUB you don't even know who these players are that got drafted. How do you know how they will pan out? You don't. The reason you are being negative....errr realistic as you put it is because you don't like McDaniels.

shank
04-26-2009, 07:52 PM
realism =/= pessimism. i am pretty sure i have posted this like 3-4 times on these boards before...

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't know who's opinion is allowed NUB, I can't figure that out. So far, you've told me to get out, and you've told BroncosBlitz to get out.

Neither of us are of the opinion that Josh McDaniels should be fired...

No, I believe I'm telling you what you profess want to be done. You can't say on one hand that we should wait until the season start yet, oddly... still hang around. Hence the question, why are you still here? That's hardly telling someone to get out.

Again, some people around here are saying wait until the season! Yet they keep showing up in these topics anyway. If you don't want to discussion then ****ing don't discuss. How hard is it to follow what you yourself say?

And spare me the thought that people want McDaniels to fail. Recognizing his actions as failures doesn't mean they want him to fail. I'm pretty sure none of this was around until McDaniels starting taking action, right? Right. That isn't an accident. People didn't just magically start criticizing McDaniels for being McDaniels.

Nomad
04-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't think Orton can QB us to massive success.

I don't think Nolan can turn around a D with scheme alone - he needs talent too.

I don't think McDaniels is the sort to inspire trust if things start to go downhill, and may lose the team, especially guys who were here with Shanahan and are not "his guys."

But if Nolan can make our D work like gangbusters, and Orton gleans every ounce of production from Josh's system, and Josh keeps the troops fired up, we could do well.

And I would be happy, because being realistic about what it all looks like right now doesn't mean I want to be right. I just can't shelve my brain and imagine the most optimistic scenario to start the season with.

I would hope everyone would bring some bits of optimism and some bits of realism to the table. What's the fun of being a fan if you can't hope for the best results, but have a critical eye toward the process getting there? ;)

~G

You're correct....balance is good for criticism and optimism! I've never said I agree with everything the BRONCOS FO does but I'm realistic enough to know that you can't come to a conclusion without seeing the finished product!!

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
No, I believe I'm telling you what you profess want to be done. You can't say on one hand that we should wait until the season start yet, oddly... still hang around. Hence the question, why are you still here? That's hardly telling someone to get out.

Again, some people around here are saying wait until the season! Yet they keep showing up in these topics anyway. If you don't want to discussion then ****ing don't discuss. How hard is it to follow what you yourself say?

And spare me the thought that people want McDaniels to fail. Recognizing his actions as failures doesn't mean they want him to fail. I'm pretty sure none of this was around until McDaniels starting taking action, right? Right. That isn't an accident. People didn't just magically start criticizing McDaniels for being McDaniels.

I guess I would prefer to talk about how they FIT into the team and whether they fit into to the team then call them busts and stupid choices and stupid moves. :noidea:

I guess it IS too much to ask.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I guess I would prefer to talk about how they FIT into the team and whether they fit into to the team then call them busts and stupid choices and stupid moves. :noidea:

Can't know how they fit until the season starts.

D'oh.

People just don't want to hear criticism, that much is becoming blatantly obvious.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:02 PM

MO, if people have never heard of these players, have never researched, have never taken the few minutes to watch them on youtube, or read about them on scout.com or something, how do you expect them to be able to answer a question about how they would fit into the system?

Its much easier to take the cop-out and call it all stupid and busts.

Most only know or have heard about the players drafted 1-32. After that they are clueless. I am one of them, but I am doing my research on these players, listening and watching the press conferences to try and understand why they were picked and I am seeing the big picture.

dogfish
04-26-2009, 08:07 PM
i'm going over to the mane. . . maybe there'll be more than one or two people there that actually want to discuss the draft and who we picked, rather than bicker over whether there should even be any discussion, or argue about who's being "negative" and who's being "realistic". . . . .

have fun!

:hi:

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
i'm going over to the mane. . . maybe there'll be more than one or two people there that actually want to discuss the draft and who we picked, rather than bicker over whether there should even be any discussion, or argue about who's being "negative" and who's being "realistic". . . . .

have fun!

I doubt it

loser

shank
04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
i'm going over to the mane.

wow, this is bad.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
wow, this is bad.

Atleast its not broncos country mania or whatever its called these days

horsepig
04-26-2009, 08:16 PM

have fun!

Right on Dog, it's hard to scroll through this stuff fast enough to get to anything interesting.
The only things I,m upset about with this draft are how some moves were made. Two 3's for Quinn, I just don't get that. That #1 for Smith is pretty questionable too. I just think those guys would have both been there anyway.

Tned
04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
we could do well.

~G

It seems like such a simple concept, I don't know why people try and rip each other's throats out over it.

Stating concerns or criticisms about a team is FAR different than hoping they do poorly. Hoping for a great season, and being concerned about FO moves are not mutually exclusive thoughts.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
With the exception of Moreno and probably Ayers, all the guys we drafted will be behind seasoned VETs that they can learn from. B Dawk with the safeties, Smith and Champ, the O lineman to learn from Hamilton and Weigmann...McKinley to learn the slot from one of the best slot WR's in the NFL - Stokley, and Quinn to polish his TE skills by playing with Graham.

Big Picture.

Tned
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM

have fun!

No shit. Pretty pathetic. I'm posting football over there, and discussing whether or not people should be ALLOWED to talk football here.

******* pathetic. IMO

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
If you're mad with how the draft went, deal with it.

It was a good, not great, draft and McDaniels clearly knows football better than all of us :rolleyes:

The only questions were drafting Quinn by giving up both of our 3rds and giving up a 5th next year to grab McDaniels pet project Brandstater. Other than that...it was solid.

Oh...and Alphonso Smith is the best cornerback in the draft. Book it.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM

It was a good, not great, draft and McDaniels clearly knows football better than all of us :rolleyes:

The only questions were drafting Quinn by giving up both of our 3rds and giving up a 5th next year to grab McDaniels pet project Brandstater. Other than that...it was solid.

Oh...and Alphonso Smith is the best cornerback in the draft. Book it.

Tned
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM

This is a place to talk football, so if people are mad about the draft, they can talk about it. That's what we do here. To quote you, "deal with it."

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
This is a place to talk football, so if people are mad about the draft, they can talk about it. That's what we do here. To quote you, "deal with it."

So start talking about it instead of being the "opinion police"

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 08:29 PM

I don't have a problem with that. I'm just arrogantly mirroring the idiots that told us to "deal with it" when Cutler was traded :D

McDaniels sucks :coffee:

LoyalSoldier
04-26-2009, 08:29 PM
So start talking about it instead of being the "opinion police"

Quoted for irony.

G_Money
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM

have fun!

I only post here, so go have at it, man. :salute:

Remember, you've got carte blanche as far as saying shit I agree with, so I trust you to represent us well. :D

~G

omac
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM

It's been getting pretty close, LOL. :D

weazel
04-26-2009, 08:37 PM

I guess I'm different than you, I cheer for my favorite team... players have nothing to do with it. I'm just not a fanboy

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Quoted for irony.

Huh....I could have sworn that my post a few up on this page was the last one to actually talk about the draft...

With the exception of Moreno and probably Ayers, all the guys we drafted will be behind seasoned VETs that they can learn from. B Dawk with the safeties, Smith and Champ, the O lineman to learn from Hamilton and Weigmann...McKinley to learn the slot from one of the best slot WR's in the NFL - Stokley, and Quinn to polish his TE skills by playing with Graham.

Big Picture.

Quoted for Irony

Tned
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM

To be perfectly honest, while I welcome everyone here, some of the ex-mania folks are pretty bad about attacking people for posting opinions.

Want to call me opinion police, fine. That doesn't mean you trailing around people on the forum slamming them for posting an opinion that doesn't mirror your own is right.

Unlike Mania, until very recently, we had been good at debating football topics, not attacking each other for having those opinions. Maybe those that don't want to 'discuss' or 'debate' varied views and opinions should go back to mania and attack each other.

LoyalSoldier
Huh....I could have sworn that my post a few up on this page was the last one to actually talk about the draft...

Quoted for Irony

Except that when people state we payed too much for those players we instantly get a rash of "You can't tell until after the season and shouldn't talk about it" or something along those lines.

Dreadnought
No shit. Pretty pathetic. I'm posting football over there, and discussing whether or not people should be ALLOWED to talk football here.

******* pathetic. IMO

That pretty much sums it up. I wanted McDaniels hired. He was my first choice. I didn't want Shanny fired in the first place, but given his reluctance to ash can the worthless Slowick I understood the decision. Didn't like it, but understood it.

Why McDaniels? He seemed most likely to leave us stand pat on offense, tinker around the edges, not go Round One for a RB, bring in a competent DC with any luck, and build on what was here, already, and in place.

So far I dislike virtually every single move the guy has made, at every level. Do I know for sure he will fail? No. Do I want him to fail? No. Do I think he will fail? Absolutely. Its what I think, its my opinion, and my own feeling is that this board ought to be a place to express such. Same with my opinion that Kyle Orton is a terrible NFL QB. he might turn it around. I doubt it, but it could happen. That's just my opinion on the matter.

We haven't enacted any kind of "Test Act" here, whereby only those opinions in conformity with some kind of established standard of "loyalty" are allowed. I cancelled my NFL ticket for the coming year because this team frankly looks uninteresting to watch, and money is tight, and with my wife unemployed at this time I could use the $300 elsewhere. I still want them to win as many games as possible, and I'll watch them when I get the telecast here, but unlike the past few Years I go into the 2009 season with almost no enthusiasm, and no expectation for more than a handfull of wins. If I'm wrong I'll be ecstatic and eat my crow come Christmas time.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Except that when people state we payed too much for those players we instantly get a rash of "You can't tell until after the season and shouldn't talk about it" or something along those lines.

Well its true..no one knows how they will turn out same as any other of the teams picks. Thats why the draft year in and year out is a crap shoot.

It seems like the teams that play the craps game the best and most effeciently usually come out on top. I have not followed New Englands drafts in the past, but they seem to usually do a pretty good job at it. I am not saying McD is bringing that way of thinking to the table here, but if he is I feel there is a method to this madness. I like the fact that they had a select number of players on their board and stuck with it.

I wanted D line help as much as the next guy, but I also realize I was not at the mini camp practices, have not watched tape on EVERY single player we have on the team over and over...did not spend sleepless nights awake evaluating players for the draft...so I tend to believe they have a mission and a plan for who and why they drafted certain players.

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
So far I dislike virtually every single move the guy has made, at every level. Do I know for sure he will fail? No. Do I want him to fail? No. Do I think he will fail? Absolutely. Its what I think, its my opinion, and my own feeling is that this board ought to be a place to express such. Same with my opinion that Kyle Orton is a terrible NFL QB. he might turn it around. I doubt it, but it could happen. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Yet, amazingly, my opinion that you're wrong is frowned upon...:noidea:

It's just OPINION...what's the big deal....:rolleyes:

Oh, for those who have not noticed, and judging by the posts, you haven't...Josh McDaniels hasn't coached a single game.

weazel
04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
back on topic.... the draft

the draft was good, I had my window about half way open and there was a nice calm wind blowing in from the south, so the draft felt cool and gave me a surprisingly peaceful feeling.

Dreadnought
04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Yet, amazingly, my opinion that you're wrong is frowned upon...:noidea:

It's just OPINION...what's the big deal....:rolleyes:

Oh, for those who have not noticed, and judging by the posts, you haven't...Josh McDaniels hasn't coached a single game.

Correct. That is part of his job, as is managing the roster. In my opinion he has already been a dismal failure at this second aspect, and has exposed character traits that will lead to planty of failure in the first. Just give him some time.

BroncosRockdaRockies
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I am not mad about the way the draft went. Apparently they felt their was no need to do anything about the front 7 through the draft? they did get a few guys through the FA who are decent. Maybe they felt they could coach them differently than Slowick did? I don't expect any of our DB's playing 15 yards off of recievers this year? And with the LB's and DE's we aquired it looks like speed is going to be good so throw in a mixture of blitz packages I think we will keep teams guessing.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Correct. That is part of his job, as is managing the roster. In my opinion he has already been a dismal failure at this second aspect, and has exposed character traits that will lead to planty of failure in the first. Just give him some time.

Please explain how you think he has been a dismal failure at managing the roster?

Tned
04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Please explain how you think he has been a dismal failure at managing the roster?

He turned Cutler into Orton.

TXBRONC
04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I am not mad about the way the draft went. Apparently they felt their was no need to do anything about the front 7 through the draft? they did get a few guys through the FA who are decent. Maybe they felt they could coach them differently than Slowick did? I don't expect any of our DB's playing 15 yards off of recievers this year? And with the LB's and DE's we aquired it looks like speed is going to be good so throw in a mixture of blitz packages I think we will keep teams guessing.

The guys that have been brought in to play on the defensive line have been career back ups.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM

(thanks Dread :laugh:)
Okay ...apart from Cutler which is about a 50/50 split on agreeing with it or not around here....what else has been a dismal failure.

TXBRONC
04-26-2009, 10:10 PM

You could also argue that McDaniels has mismanaged the roster by not getting better defensive linemen in either free agency or the draft.

NameUsedBefore
04-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Abrakadabra.

Tned
04-26-2009, 10:15 PM
You could also argue that McDaniels has mismanaged the roster by not getting better defensive linemen in either free agency or the draft.

After 24 hours of being pissed and looking at our roster, I'm not convinced that he doesn't think that the moves in free agency, plus guys coming off injury along with the scheme change and better coaching won't fix most of the ills.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 10:21 PM
I think we better stick with the 43 with the players on our roster....

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:22 PM
After 24 hours of being pissed and looking at our roster, I'm not convinced that he doesn't think that the moves in free agency, plus guys coming off injury along with the scheme change and better coaching won't fix most of the ills.

Again...if people would watch his presser or read the articles posted by Carol after the draft...McD gives his reasoning behind not drafting certain players.

He said something to the fact that these guys have not played together. Sure some of them have, but some have not. Then you add a new scheme into the mix, how in the world would the staff know if they can play in it or not? Because your or I said so? Nope.

This whole mismanagement thing can work both ways. Getting rid of Cutler for Orton and draft picks adds more depth. Trading up the way he did in the draft to grab certain players now adds more depth to the roster.

Bringing in guys like Brian Dawkins in the offseason helps the roster.

So, like I asked apart from Cutler ( who oh by the way didn't want to play here anyway ) how has he been an dismal failure again?

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
I think we better stick with the 43 with the players on our roster....

Why? To give up 500 points next year? yeah, thats logic.

TXBRONC
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM

It sure looks that way. When you look at what we did in free agency and couple that with drafting one defensive lineman it seems to indicate he thinks he's got everything he needs.

shank
04-26-2009, 10:26 PM
It sure looks that way. When you look at what we did in free agency and couple that with drafting one defensive lineman it seems to indicate he thinks he's got everything he needs.

if he's right, then that's pretty great!

but if they are wrong, then this draft was more the same of what got shanny fired...

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Why? To give up 500 points next year? yeah, thats logic.

So is going into the draft needing some DL and front seven help.. BADLY.. and walking away with one player and special teamers. THATS logic.

Trading away a top 1st round pick next year for some corner... yeah.. THATS logic.

Our defense doesn't have the personnel for a 34.. THATS why. That actually IS logic.....

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
So is going into the draft needing some DL and front seven help.. BADLY.. and walking away with one player and special teamers. THATS logic.

Trading away a top 1st round pick next year for some corner... yeah.. THATS logic.

Our defense doesn't have the personnel for a 34.. THATS why. That actually IS logic.....

Big Picture....Big Picture.

See it.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Big Picture....Big Picture.

See it.

:laugh: I forget how you think yourself to be too smart ofr the rest of us.

You are the one that keeps telling us that you don't care about NEXT year's draft because we want to win THIS yea... THEN.. you want to say "big picture" and explain to us how this isn't a ONE year project. So the BIG picture is what? Playing to your needs in the discussion???? Justifying trading away a first round pick next season so we can win THIS season, but when pointed out that we don't have the personnel to run our defense, its a BUILDING project that takes more than one season. How convienent for your "big picture". The big picture so far.... is its been a HUGE mess in Denver... and McD is the centerpiece of the screwups.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
People just don't want to hear criticism, that much is becoming blatantly obvious.

This is how I see, criticism is simply tolerated for a while then it's open season on the critics.

Very little actually gets discussed as critics are put on the defensive.......

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:33 PM

You are the one that keeps telling us that you don't care about NEXT year's draft because we want to win THIS yea... THEN.. you want to say "big picture" and explain to us how this isn't a ONE year project. So the BIG picture is what? Playing to your needs in the discussion???? Justifying trading away a first round pick next season so we can win THIS season, but when pointed out that we don't have the personnel to run our defense, its a BUILDING project that takes more than one season. How convienent for your "big picture". The big picture so far.... is its been a HUGE mess in Denver... and McD is the centerpiece of the screwups.

I disagree.

Its no use responding to this .....I will leave it at that.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
This is how I see, criticism is simply tolerated for a while then it's open season on the critics.

Very little actually gets discussed as critics are put on the defensive.......

Thats a good point. Ironically, the 'optimists' are the critics of those that are critical of the team.

TXBRONC
04-26-2009, 10:37 PM

If this is the big picture then where's the nose tackle? Ron Brace would have made nice pick with 37th overall pick. I have nothing against the corner back that was selected but Brace was there for the taking and McDaniels didn't do it.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
If this is the big picture then where's the nose tackle? Ron Brace would have made nice pick with 37th overall pick. I have nothing against the corner back that was selected but Brace was there for the taking and McDaniels didn't do it.

Thats how I see it. Its not the player. I'm sure the player (smith) is a fine player....but its the position... and more than that.. its the fact that we traded away our next years first round pick for the guy.

I actually was excited when we moved up .. thinking we would be getting a position of need. Yes I know we all need more CB depth.. but it wasn't a position of DIRE need like our DL is. We could have gotten Orakpo...Brown...Brace... ALLL of which made more sense for this teams needs. THATs the big picture.

I'm sure Smith is a good player.. one that will contribute to his position in our backfield. Thats great. But I would rather be saying "our new DL is a good player that will contribute to THAT positon".... since that has been the NEED for years now.

But knowing this is a defense that will take a couple seasons to rebuild, having those TWO first round picks next season, gave me a reason to believe it would actually HAPPEN. Two this year, two next year.... even if only HALF the picks in those four were for DL, it would be good.

This Smith kid is always going to be judged as a top 10 first round pick now. Are we sure he's truly that good? I hope so since he's the one that will have to carry that.

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Of course I want this team to go 19-0 and I have never had a problem admitting when I am wrong, I'm wrong a lot.

As far as where I stand on things if they don't go badly, it's already gone badly, the only way to change that is if Doogie can coach his way out of the F'up with his Franchise QB, unfortunately for him, he'll have to win a SB to ever live it down. Getting to and losing will always leave me with the sinking feeling that having Cutler would have been enough to get it done. Imo, he'll have to be a playoff coach minimum to make me forget about his F'up with this draft.

And if I'm right about all of this, the only thing that'll make me feel better is Doogie getting fired.......being "right" means nothing to me, I'm right a lot too.......

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Thats how I see it. Its not the player. I'm sure the player (smith) is a fine player....but its the position... and more than that.. its the fact that we traded away our next years first round pick for the guy.

We still have 7 picks next year. One in each round and that means we STILL HAVE A FIRST ROUNDER. We didn't morgage the farm as you seem to want everyone to believe.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 11:02 PM

This is a good post, shawshank. You have good points. There are many on the board that are criticizing of the coach and the owner.... and it would appear that I want the coach to fail to simply 'justify' all my complaints. We've (I've) seen that before when people complain about players.

How many of those that are complaining about Cutler are just HOPING he plays poorly PURELY to justify their name calling and to make us feel better about getting rid of a good player? People like to be right, thats human nature.

But as so many have pointed out... winning cures all wounds when it comes to rooting for a team. I'm VERY critical of the selections we made in this draft, but its because of their position and not the player themselves. That being said, of course I'll root for the player because that good for the team. The player could play FANTASTICALLY at corner for us, but that still doesn't solve the DL problem. So the same 'complaints' and 'problems' with this team will still exist until NEXT year.

Winning changes opinions about everything. SOme here will try to say "I told you so" if we do win.. but will never be found if we lose. Others will say "I told you so" if we lose. But if we do win, they will still be around because winning heals wounds.

I think Link said it well.... this offseason and draft has already been 'bad' and/or 'losing' from my perspective... but its only part of the entire picture. If he somehow pulls this into a winning season...great! Thts what its all about. But because of the hole he's dug, he has to do MORE than before... right?

I mean... bfore trading away Cutler.. what were your expectations for wins? Knowing that we had to completely rebuild, weren't you (like me) willing to give him more leway next year? But now that he's made the move to trade away cutler, doesn't he have to prove more sooner? I do because I think he's put that pressure on himself.

Tned
04-26-2009, 11:02 PM
We still have 7 picks next year. One in each round and that means we STILL HAVE A FIRST ROUNDER. We didn't morgage the farm as you seem to want everyone to believe.

Yes, but that first rounder want represent the needs of the team. Meaning if we go 3-13 we NEED a high pick much more than if we go 13-3.

So we have seven picks, but the first isn't tied to how our team does.

omac
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM

True, but an extra first rounder gives you incredible flexibility. If we had an extra first rounder last season, we probably could've gotten a highly rated RB like Stewart to go with Clady. An extra first rounder will be able to get us pretty high up the draft board if we wanted to.

To use next season's extra 1st rounder to move up in the 2nd round seems wasteful; if we used it to move up in the 1st round, it would be more justifiable.

That extra first rounder could be valuable for trade of player a team decides they'd want to trade.

It's the reason Bellichick is willing to trade away lower round picks this year for higher round picks next year. Because, even though the perceived value of next year's picks are considered one round lower due to uncertainty, the truth is, a 1st round draft position has higher value than a 2nd round draft position, and more of the projected elite players go higher in the draft, then lower.

Bellichick understands the value, and is patient enough to exploit other team's needs for the now, in order to build for the future.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Yes, but that first rounder want represent the needs of the team. Meaning if we go 3-13 we NEED a high pick much more than if we go 13-3.

So we have seven picks, but the first isn't tied to how our team does.

From what I am getting from a lot on here is the vibe of thinking this team is going to sink and since we gave up OUR first we are missing out on a high draft pick.

Well...bomb or not, we still have Chicago's when they won't have one for two consecutive years. Thats something to be positive about.

And, if we really need to package Chicago's with another or two to move up, I am pretty confident we will do that. I don't think McD is at all afraid to take a risk. As seen this season.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Ask teams that have completely lost out on first round picks if it sets them back. Losing out on a first round pick, whether we still have one or not, COULD simply set us back by omission.

plus .. we did give away next year's fifth as well...

atwater27
04-26-2009, 11:11 PM

Who? You? or McDaniels? Or both?

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 11:32 PM

They gambled their own 1st rounder on a 2nd-3rd round talent, that qualifies as a mortgage, they do not get that pick back if they finish in the Top10, and it's a horrible value if they finish in the 10-20 range.

Alphonso Smith is a gamble the Broncos can't afford, if we're wrong we're wrong, but I'm curious to know how people are going to feel about Smith if Denver loses a premium pick because of this trade.

Deep down inside, you know this concerns you.......

GEM
04-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Why would I be mad about how our draft went? I haven't seen any of the guys we've signed in a Broncos uni yet.

shank
04-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Ask teams that have completely lost out on first round picks if it sets them back. Losing out on a first round pick, whether we still have one or not, COULD simply set us back by omission.

plus .. we did give away next year's fifth as well...
while it COULD set us back, it also could not... teams like DAL, NE, and CHI didn't pick in the first this year but are still in great shape.

They gambled their own 1st rounder on a 2nd-3rd round talent, that qualifies as a mortgage, they do not get that pick back if they finish in the Top10, and it's a horrible value if they finish in the 10-20 range.

Alphonso Smith is a gamble the Broncos can't afford, if we're wrong we're wrong, but I'm curious to know how people are going to feel about Smith if Denver loses a premium pick because of this trade.

smith is not a 2nd-3rd round prospect. he's a very solid 2nd round prospect, which many consider a borderline 1st. his only real limiting factor is his size, which he has completely overcome to this point in his career.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 11:40 PM

It doesn't concern me at all...mainly because we still have a 1st rounder next year. Having two was nice this year...but honestly...too all of you complaining and whinning about how our picks were used this year, why do you want two first rounders next year again?
Its not like he can draft good players.
He is just going to cause you guys more headache's.
He is doing you all a favor by having less picks next year.

** sarcasm off *** :rolleyes:

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
while it COULD set us back, it also could not... teams like DAL, NE, and CHI didn't pick in the first this year but are still in great shape.

Chicago got a franchise QB with their first round pick, NE is STILL in good shape considering they've been there for a while, and I think I would disagree with you about Dallas.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 11:42 PM
It doesn't concern me at all...mainly because we still have a 1st rounder next year. Having two was nice this year...but honestly...too all of you complaining and whinning about how our picks were used this year, why do you want two first rounders next year again?

he made good choices with the TWO first round picks this year.... but if his picks in the future int he later rounds are going to go in this same manner, we better get more first -round picks :cool:

shank
04-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Chicago got a franchise QB with their first round pick, NE is STILL in good shape considering they've been there for a while, and I think I would disagree with you about Dallas.

on this point, i really was just playing devil's advocate... i would have loved to have kept next years 1st...

but i won't let the decision make me overly-critical of alphonso smith.

Hawgdriver
04-27-2009, 12:10 AM
I am really warming up to our new head coach and his staff. I didn't like the Cutler fiasco because I'm an idiot fan and can only see what's in front of my face--but I am really starting to think these guys are smart and ballsy.

Besides, I'm tired of all of the whiny complaining behavior we've had up to this point. There is no alternative for me except ever fuggin onward and let's shove it down their throats come Sunday.

Tempus Fugit
04-27-2009, 02:15 AM
A little draft analysis from a quality talent evaluator:

No 'backers: For only the second time in the 12 Polian-directed drafts, the team did not select a linebacker. The only other 'backer-less draft was in 2001. Polian described this year's linebacker class as "very thin.''

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090427/SPORTS03/904270344/1004/SPORTS

Simple Jaded
04-27-2009, 02:51 AM

Why do I want two No1 next year? The Broncos suck! They need every single No1 pick they can get their hands on, Doogie's incompetence does little to distract me from the obvious......this team needs that No1 pick.

If you're getting tired of complaining and whining about the "complaining and whinning about how our picks were used this year", may I suggest that you find the ignore button.......or not, whatever, dealers choice.

Either way, it doesn't concern me at all...mainly because I don't give a shit.......

Simple Jaded
04-27-2009, 03:07 AM

smith is not a 2nd-3rd round prospect. he's a very solid 2nd round prospect, which many consider a borderline 1st. his only real limiting factor is his size, which he has completely overcome to this point in his career.

If Smith fell to the 3rd round, nobody would have been surprised, his lack of elite speed is one reason why.......as Mayock put it, short corners (He's actually 5-8 1/2) can't afford to run questionable 40's, he was refering specifically to Smith (although, it should be noted that many players ran unexpectedly slow 40's at the combine).

If he is considered a borderline 1st by anybody, it should be noted that this is also considered a very weak draft class, especially for CB's.......

Tned
04-27-2009, 07:13 AM

Any chance you can keep it OFF permanently? Your constant slamming of people you don't agree and calling them whiners is getting really ******* old.

How about thinking about that before you cick the submit post button.

CoachChaz
04-27-2009, 07:14 AM

McDaniels and staff drafted TEAM ORIENTED players that will contribute. Moreno is a stud, Ayers is much more versatile than Brown, Smith would be a first rounder if he were 2 inches taller. McBath is underrated, etc., etc., etc.

Williams, Larsen and Davis are already in the middle, so Rey made less and less sense.

Who cares about a 2nd #1 next year. We need to worry about that NEXT year. Besides...we got first round talent with it.

Some people just cant be satisfied.

Nomad
04-27-2009, 07:18 AM
McDaniels and staff drafted TEAM ORIENTED players that will contribute. Moreno is a stud, Ayers is much more versatile than Brown, Smith would be a first rounder if he were 2 inches taller. McBath is underrated, etc., etc., etc.

Williams, Larsen and Davis are already in the middle, so Rey made less and less sense.

Who cares about a 2nd #1 next year. We need to worry about that NEXT year. Besides...we got first round talent with it.

Good to see your view on this Coach!!:salute:

broncofaninfla
04-27-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm torn.........I like most of the guys we got BUT we didn't address our biggest area of need on the DL. We didn't do it during free agency and defintely not in the draft. We don't have a starting defensive lineman on our roster right now, it's hard to be happy about that.

Dortoh
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
my thoughts FWIW

******* retarded son of a bitches **** shit damn

That is all

broncohead
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM

Ayers is not a team oriented player. "who cares about a 2nd #1" a #1 has a lot of value and would help this team. We'll see if Smith plays like a #1

GEM
04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
my thoughts FWIW

******* retarded son of a bitches **** shit damn

That is all

Alright hotrod...now tell us how you REALLY feel. :D

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
on this point, i really was just playing devil's advocate... i would have loved to have kept next years 1st...

but i won't let the decision make me overly-critical of alphonso smith.

The Smith pick on its own isn't a bad pick and I'm excited to see what he can do I just think it may have been a mistake to take him over Ron Brace.

Dortoh
04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
The first round had great value decent job. The second round we spent our capital like drunken sailors complete shit. Day 2 we got some nice future depth I guess. Overall some good lunchbox types. Also not that alot of the big name Dlineman went to 4-3 teams so that should tell us something. Ayers scares the shit out of me but I guess now we hope for the best.

My main beef is lack of value in round 2 we shit ourselves in that round IMO

I think I'll head to camp this year and see if I cant play NT for the Broncos