PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Denver, David Bruton!

Requiem / The Dagda
04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
An excellent pick for the Broncos. Superb gunner on special teams and a team leader. He can start in the NFL. Welcome, David!

atwater27
04-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Not physical enough against the run or in coverage. ... Often loses hand battles and fights for the ball with receivers. ... Doesn't explode into tackles, but is more of a catcher. ... Running backs drive through his arm tackles. ... Will whiff in the open field when ducking his head instead of seeing what he hits.

Yep, just the kind of guy our DEFENSE needs to improve from last year.

shank
04-26-2009, 12:05 PM
if we didn't already have mcbath and josh barrett on the team, i would like this pick.

atwater27
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
An excellent pick for the Broncos. Superb gunner on special teams and a team leader. He can start in the NFL. Welcome, David!

Are you a paid PR rep for McD? I haven't seen you NOT slobber over every single pick.

Peerless
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
what a ******* joke

Requiem / The Dagda
04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Are you a paid PR rep for McD? I haven't seen you NOT slobber over every single pick.

Well, I see you've learned how to copy and paste. Awesome. How about this for Bruton?

Positives: Centerfielder with good height and upper-body build. ... Nice straight-line speed and overall athleticism for his size. ... Usually able to track down ballcarriers from behind, although he will usually take the correct angle to prevent the catastrophic play. ... Covers a lot of ground in the deep half, with the ability to high-point the ball on the sideline for the interception. ... Good hands make to quarterbacks pay for overthrows. ... Also moves inside-out well to get to ballcarriers on stretch plays, either behind the line of scrimmage or working through trash. ... Breaks down well, getting low to make the tackle in the open field. ... Long enough to wrap up in space and get a hand on the ball to force the turnover. ... Major special teams contributor for the Irish as a gunner, winning hand-play at the line, beating the double team, showing good speed down the field and securing the tackle. ... Good leader and hard worker.

Considering our horrid safety play last season, as well as our poor special teams coverage -- Bruton makes sense.

atwater27
04-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, I see you've learned how to copy and paste. Awesome. How about this for Bruton?

Considering our horrid safety play last season, as well as our poor special teams coverage -- Bruton makes sense.

Will whiff in the open field when ducking his head instead of seeing what he hits.

a guy should have this kind of criticism in high school, maybe.
Good GOD! We didn't see enough whiffage last season?

atwater27
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
And the best way to improve defensive backs is to improve the front 7 anyways, specifically the line.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your valued input Atwater. I wasn't aware that a pass rush from the front seven can benefit the defensive backfield. Shit.

Tebow4Ever
04-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I dont understand this...Did McD forget we signed FA VETERAN BRIAN DAWKINS?

G_Money
04-26-2009, 12:15 PM
He's the slower version of Josh Barrett.

I like him, and think we could coach him up while using him on ST immediately, but we didn't need him. If we have faith in McBath then we didn't need to add a 6th safety to Hill, Dawkins, Fox and Barrett. We're not keeping 6 safeties. We're probably not keeping 5 safeties. Maybe we can slide Bruton onto the PS for a year, otherwise we're cutting Fox and Barrett, which would be a mistake IMO.

But Josh is serious about getting His Guys. I just wish some of His Guys weren't duplicating positions he just spent the offseason filling in free agency. If we hadn't added goodman and Hill as free agents, this would make sense. As it is, i'm having trouble understanding the plan. Adding 3 DBs in FA and 3 more in the draft so far smacks of spaghetti against the wall instead of a well-organized plan.

~G

claymore
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
And the best way to improve defensive backs is to improve the front 7 anyways, specifically the line.

Obviously the Defensive lineman available at our picks weren't rated high enough on McDaniels board to rate a pick.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
so we have the worst defense in decades... and we address the defense with special teamers

Requiem / The Dagda
04-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Fox and Barrett aren't nearly as good as people like to make them out to be. Otherwise, we wouldn't have brought in free agents and drafted who we did. Ain't that obvious?

Peerless
04-26-2009, 12:18 PM

I'm thinking the migraine has played a LARGE role in this years draft...

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Who is also going to be 36 this year. Who better to learn what it takes to play the position than B. Dawk?

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Nice straight-line speed and overall athleticism for his size. ... Usually able to track down ballcarriers from behind, although he will usually take the correct angle to prevent the catastrophic play.

That will be a first for this team with the other safeties we have.

G_Money
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Fox and Barrett aren't nearly as good as people like to make them out to be. Otherwise, we wouldn't have brought in free agents and drafted who we did. Ain't that obvious?

Which is fine - except that by replacing them before we even get them to camp we've shorted ourselves on the ability to impact other positions.

Even if they weren't as good as some might like, the question is how vital is it to replace them vs. replace others at a different position?

Screwing around with your 4th safety is a nice luxury, but are we really at that point?

I still say Bruton's a PS player, so we're adding depth for injury or for the 2010 team a little early in the draft for my taste. The 2009 team could still use some dire help. When we drafted 3 CBs in 05 i was similarly irritated, tho we had fewer picks that year. We still have plenty of time today to address depth issues. I'd just rather finish with the DBs at this point and not keep front-loading the position.

~G

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
so we have the worst defense in decades... and we address the defense with special teamers

Once again ONLY recognizing ONE area of his game....and completely missing the rest.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I don't see Denver putting a fourth round selection on the practice squad. I see Fox getting cut and perhaps Barrett as well.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Once again ONLY recognizing ONE area of his game....and completely missing the rest.

yeah.. thats it. I just can't see the WHOLE picture you can.....

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM

All you read was that he played special teams. Nothing about his leadership, ability to start on D AND play special teams...etc.

Your glass is completely empty. So sorry!!

G_Money
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I don't see Denver putting a fourth round selection on the practice squad. I see Fox getting cut and perhaps Barrett as well.

Entirely possible. We can PS Barrett instead, potentially - I don't think he saw enough game action to eliminate his eligibility right?

*shrugs* Depends on Bruton. He and Barrett are gonna be duking it out, IMO. It should be an interesting camp fight.

~G

D1g1tal j1m
04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
New regime = new players.

Fox and Barrett may have been an apple in the eye of Shan and Slowik but may have caused McD and Nolen to flinch and roll their eyes during the mini camp they had.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 01:50 PM
This si the first that really upset me. It's fairly obvious that the coaches are content w/ the front 7, even if we aren't. Still...ANOTHER Safety? I just don't get this one.

dogfish
04-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Obviously the Defensive lineman available at our picks weren't rated high enough on McDaniels board to rate a pick.

the importance of the defensive front seven is an urban legend, but mcdaniels sees through that shit because he knows the patriot way. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 02:01 PM
or maybe he did upgrade the front 7. MAYBE he brought in Free Agents (Reid and Fields)who were better than what we let go. MAYBE Powell is expected to be healthy and contribute. MAYBE the guys we kept on the team are better 3-4 (Powell, Thomas, Crowder, Peterson) fits than 4-3. Sometimes the coaches adjust schemes to the players and things work out.

DenBronx
04-26-2009, 02:57 PM
i had david bruton in my mock. i saw alot of him at notre dame....he was the heart of that defense for sure. you guys have nothing to worry about because this guy can come in day 1 and start. i like him more than mcbath for sure.

i can understand the frustration on why some are slamming this pick but if you do your homework on this kid you will understand why we took him. im not sold on barret or fox and i doubt dawkins will be here past 3 years.

BroncoBJ
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I think that McDaniels saw that we were picking up players off the street last year to start and play at CB and S :lol: So the reason to fix that is go out and sign a bunch and then draft a bunch. So we won't have to take that route.
Our Dlinemen have been pretty much the same since they didn't really get hurt. This whole draft has confused me.
I think everyone mock draft was way off. :lol:

I wonder who we will take with our 7th round. We'll probably trade a pick or 2 next year to move up in the 7th. :elefant:

Mr D
04-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Oh shit a positive thread!!!!!!!! But the following comments shows the incapability of Broncos fans to see anything positive.

BroncoBJ
04-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Oh shit a positive thread!!!!!!!! But the following comments shows the incapability of Broncos fans to see anything positive.

Nice sig. :rockon:

Glad to see Moreno stole Champs number. :elefant:

Lonestar
04-26-2009, 04:48 PM

In case you have not noticed ST is a huge factor in NE getting pretty good field position. SO if for no other reason than ST these kids makes sense..

Does anyone know how many S and CB that NE kept last year?..

shank
04-26-2009, 04:50 PM
In case you have not noticed ST is a huge factor in NE getting pretty good field position. SO if for no other reason than ST these kids makes sense..

Does anyone know how many S and CB that NE kept last year?..

i'm not sure on your question, but i agree.

i didn't like the bruton pick because of what we have already, but i was overlooking ST big time. anything we can do to get better there is a good thing. it's been so long since we've been good on ST that i forgot it could happen!

Lonestar
04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
i'm not sure on your question, but i agree.

i didn't like the bruton pick because of what we have already, but i was overlooking ST big time. anything we can do to get better there is a good thing. it's been so long since we've been good on ST that i forgot it could happen!

I was asking how many DB's were kept on the NE roster last year.. I think we can throw out all the old data we had on mikey and figure out what they used to do in NE..

Offense has ruled since 2006, we have been cobbled together starting defensive players for so long, that most folks have completely overlooked the other 1/3 of the game.. ST's..

It sounds to me the Josh has his eye on the whole team NOT just offense..

He has actually hire real coaches for these areas and sounds like he is listening to them.. opposed to what we have had before..

Everyone forgets how shallow the depth has been on this team.. When 5-7 rounders routinely stick to your squad and some wind up starting well folks that is not genius, it is madness..

Simple Jaded
04-26-2009, 05:16 PM

How long have we been saying this about a Denver Broncos draft, fuk dude, no team is that damn unlucky......the Broncos walked away with one player that may or may not be a DLman, they've raised more questions about the line than they've answered.

"Physically impressive, downhill hitter who belongs in the NFL from a size-speed standpoint. However, he lacks the hip fluidity, range and instints to start at the next level. Scouts say he looked stiffer than a 2x4 in Combine drills. He's a track athlete playing football. He could carve out a niche as a gunner on special teams." --Pro Football Weekly on David Bruton.......

bcbronc
04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I had him in my mock, so I like the pick. but seems a bit luxurious with McBath already in the house.

the one thing that has been touched on, he's a gamer when it comes to special teams. imo the best way to improve special teams--and we need help in the kicking game almost as much as on defense--is to draft players that have shown they can excel at it in college. even if he just comes in and makes a name for himself as a gunner, it'll be a good pick.