PDA

View Full Version : Broncos might reunite Manning, WR Stokley

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
The Broncos remain interested in signing WR Brandon Stokley, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

It remains quite possible Denver could re-acquire Stokley, one of Peyton Manning‘s favorite receivers, pending medical tests. The Broncos will bring Stokley in for a visit and the free agent might end up back with the club, sources said.

rest - http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/04/13/broncos-interested-in-reuniting-manning-with-wr-stokley/

Ravage!!!
04-14-2012, 01:21 PM
I really like Stokely, but I think his days as a viable WR are over. But, he's smart, and savvy, and knows the system with Manning so well that he will be a great "coach" to have in practices and on the sidelines. Just not sure worth a roster spot at this point.

BroncoStud
04-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Signing Stokley is nothing but a good thing. If he were able to catch 20 passes this year but be a solid lockerroom presence and all for the veteran minimum... Why the heck not? He knows Manning as well as anyone.

Nomad
04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
I really like Stokely, but I think his days as a viable WR are over. But, he's smart, and savvy, and knows the system with Manning so well that he will be a great "coach" to have in practices and on the sidelines. Just not sure worth a roster spot at this point.

I agree but his value at knowing Manning's system may be worth it to the BRONCOS because with the limited time. Stokely could be a difference maker in helping out with other WOs and possibly on the field.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Stokes is still one of the most deadly 3rd down weapons out there. I'd love to have him back. No, he's not big or fast or young anymore, but he's cheap, smart, experienced, and $ on third down... how can anyone argue about that?

He's the kind of guy who raises your 3rd down conversion % by 5-10 just by being on the roster... ;)

Ravage!!!
04-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Stokes is still one of the most deadly 3rd down weapons out there. I'd love to have him back. No, he's not big or fast or young anymore, but he's cheap, smart, experienced, and $ on third down... how can anyone argue about that?

He's the kind of guy who raises your 3rd down conversion % by 5-10 just by being on the roster... ;)

I know he used to be that guy, but from what I've seen of him the last couple years.... one could argue that.

Sparky The Sun Devil
04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Since Peyton signed, I have thought I would be shocked if Stokley wasn't with us at the beginning of training camp

camdisco24
04-14-2012, 03:25 PM
YES YES YES. Stokely is the man and I would love to have him back on our roster for the right price!

Broncos Mtnman
04-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Would love to see Stokely return to the team.

Even if he's not the same receiver, he would be another voice on the bench to help coach the youngsters.

I hope it works out.

jhildebrand
04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
The vets' job is to play not coach up the young guys. Remember, that was all anybody could say when it came to TT and Manning being on the same roster to which I agree.

I want Stokley here because what he lacks in speed and size and youth he makes up for with skill, smarts and saavy.

I also think this proves my point in the other thread that it is about TRUST with Manning. He is a guy he can trust. If DT wants the ball, then he better get his ass here and start working out because from the looks of things Manning will be looking at Decker and Stokley on 3rd downs!

Ravage!!!
04-14-2012, 05:19 PM
The vets' job is to play not coach up the young guys. Remember, that was all anybody could say when it came to TT and Manning being on the same roster to which I agree.

I want Stokley here because what he lacks in speed and size and youth he makes up for with skill, smarts and saavy.

I also think this proves my point in the other thread that it is about TRUST with Manning. He is a guy he can trust. If DT wants the ball, then he better get his ass here and start working out because from the looks of things Manning will be looking at Decker and Stokley on 3rd downs!

Wow.. trying to pick a TT/Manning fight in everything?

No team keeps the incumbent QB when they bring someone in to be the starter. Thats why they got rid of Tebow, because of the problems it brings with fans screaming "tebow" all the time. Has nothing to do with Manning not teaching him. Plus, we all know Tebow could never run a passing offense.

Also, DT got his "ass" into voluntary camps today. TRUST isn't what the team would be hiring Stokely for.

jhildebrand
04-14-2012, 05:40 PM

No team keeps the incumbent QB when they bring someone in to be the starter. Thats why they got rid of Tebow, because of the problems it brings with fans screaming "tebow" all the time. Has nothing to do with Manning not teaching him. Plus, we all know Tebow could never run a passing offense.

No but that was the argument always made to those who suggested Manning and TT could co-exist on the roster. I don't believe the vet's job is to teach the other guys how to do their job. These guys are professionals. They either help themselves or they dont!

TT could NEVER run a passing offense? They ran a passing offense after three weeks of the triple option/zone read. :lol:

Also, DT got his "ass" into voluntary camps today. TRUST isn't what the team would be hiring Stokely for.

Trust is a major reason WHY they are even looking at Stokley. He provides a level of comfort and trust with Manning that NO OTHER player currently on the roster can provide! At the end of the day they would be hiring him to catch passes. But that would be a problem because they will take away from Glass Gina DT and he will be vocal about it again. :lol:

BroncoWave
04-14-2012, 08:28 PM

:lol: Says the guy who picked out ONE small line about TT in a post/thread about Stokley to ignite a Tebow argument.

jhildebrand
04-14-2012, 10:05 PM
:lol: Says the guy who picked out ONE small line about TT in a post/thread about Stokley to ignite a Tebow argument.

I am just highlighting the double standard that the most ardent Tebow critics possess.

So many were so vociferous that Mannning's job isn't to mentor and school TT.

But now it is a different story with Stokley. :rolleyes:

Then there is the argument that it was all about TT and what a circus it was and there are other players on the TEAM!

Yet it is a CIRCUS with Manning all the same. We get articles about him calling a reporter to say goodbye. Nothing more nothing less. An article er paragraph that private practice with Decker and company is "rewarding." A lot of the very attention Manning is getting is the VERY THING that made some of TT's BIGGEST critics as big as they are.

Then there is the don't villify ex Broncos. But when it comes to TT all bets are off. Criticise Cutler and people will try to run you out. :lol: Yet TT has more PO victories as a Bronco than Cutler. hmmmmmmm.

Oh well. The double standards will be here.

Timmy!
04-15-2012, 12:02 AM
100% worth a roster spot at vet minimum. Id bet $$$ that he makes a couple crucial 3rd down catches in very tight games, even if he sees the limited role id expect from him at this point. Stokes is good in the locker room, knows manning (which works both ways), and is clutch. I guess the only downside is having a 5th wr who doesn't play special teams but id say its worth it....active roster will be heavy on wr and te this year with probably no real fb.

MOtorboat
04-15-2012, 01:01 AM
I am just highlighting the double standard that the most ardent Tebow critics possess.

Then there is the argument that it was all about TT and what a circus it was and there are other players on the TEAM!

Yet it is a CIRCUS with Manning all the same. We get articles about him calling a reporter to say goodbye. Nothing more nothing less. An article er paragraph that private practice with Decker and company is "rewarding." A lot of the very attention Manning is getting is the VERY THING that made some of TT's BIGGEST critics as big as they are.

Then there is the don't villify ex Broncos. But when it comes to TT all bets are off. Criticise Cutler and people will try to run you out. :lol: Yet TT has more PO victories as a Bronco than Cutler. hmmmmmmm.

Obviously, this guy didn't mean to bring up Tebow.

Good call, BTB... :rolleyes:

bcbronc
04-15-2012, 01:51 AM

Agreed. If Stokely can convert 1-2 3rd downs per game he'd be worth the roster spot, but I'm not convinced he can still do that vs quality defenses. No problems whatsoever bringing him into camp though.

Simple Jaded
04-15-2012, 05:20 AM

It's different with a starting QB and a 3rd string WR or even a backup QB. Brunell and Dilfer extended their careers because they were the perverbial veteran backup that was brought in to work with young starters.

The starting QB has far more important things to worry about than whether or not the backup develops, Stokley, Dilfer and the like could be brought in specifically for that reason. The possibility that Stokley will contribute on the field makes it an ideal situation, imo.......

BroncoWave
04-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Obviously, this guy didn't mean to bring up Tebow.

Good call, BTB... :rolleyes:

Where did I say that? I simply said that for someone (Ravage) who likes to complain about people bringing up Tebow, he sure is quick to argue about him as well.

Seriously, the people who complain about how much attention Tebow gets seem to be the very same people who STILL can't shut up about him.

jhildebrand
04-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Where did I say that? I simply said that for someone (Ravage) who likes to complain about people bringing up Tebow, he sure is quick to argue about him as well.

Seriously, the people who complain about how much attention Tebow gets seem to be the very same people who STILL can't shut up about him.

Not to mention conspicuously abesnt as the team rattled off 6 wins in a row :coffee:

Mannway187
04-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Even if he has nothing left he would be a positive influence on the 10 WR on the current roster. I don't see that many on the active roster when training camp ends. There are only 5 TE on the roster all of which could still be there on day 1 of the regular season. Stokely probably knows that his best football days are behind him and if he signs with anybody it would only be to compete during camp and help push the younger guys. More than likely the Broncos will work one of the TE into the offense as FB on third and short and in the red zone to give Manning that 5th set of hands.

Dzone
04-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Thats cool. He might have one more year left in him. If so, who do we keep as WRs? Thomas, Decker, Stokely, Willis, and the guy from Cincinnati, I forget his name? I imagine we will have someone new. Decker is highly overrated. He is slow and cant catch a cold.

DenBronx
04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Stokelys a class act and hopefully he can gel right away again with Manning as the slot guy. Maybe Stoke has a year or two left in the tank.

ikillz0mbies
04-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Why not? For the vet minimum, you really can't go wrong. He knows Manning better than anyone on the roster. With that said, the Broncos should also pick up Blair White, who was just released earlier this week.

BroncoWave
04-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Thats cool. He might have one more year left in him. If so, who do we keep as WRs? Thomas, Decker, Stokely, Willis, and the guy from Cincinnati, I forget his name? I imagine we will have someone new. Decker is highly overrated. He is slow and cant catch a cold.

Andre "Bubba" Caldwell is the WR from Cincy.

Mannway187
04-15-2012, 04:30 PM

The kid that came from Jacksonville, Jason Hill, must have some skills and enough speed to still be in the league after 5 years. His best year was last year with Jacksonville whos QB was the rookie learning on the job. Which is why Del Rio is here. As for Decker being overrated and slow? Get that bump on your head checked by a Dr. He was underatted coming out of college, but is slowly becoming this teams Ed McCaffry. I'm lookin for him to continue his scoring ways next year. Besides, look who he had throwing to him before now. Manning has the ability to make all our recievers look like pro bowlers, all they have to do is catch the ball when he hits them in the hands with it. You don't get this far if you can't catch the catchable balls.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Brandon Stokley, whose Immaculate Deflection reception was one of the most famous catches in Broncos history, is meeting with his former team today.

Stokley will turn 36 in June, which would make him the same age as his good friend Peyton Manning, the quarterback Stokley helped recruit to Denver last month.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20406997/brandon-stokley-visiting-broncos-today

dogfish
04-16-2012, 11:42 AM

andre caldwell. . . if we do sign stokes, as of right now i'd assume we'll keep decker, DT, caldwell, stokley, matt willis and jason hill. . . fox generally only keeps five wideouts, but i think you can assume we'll keep six with manning running the offense. . .

Superchop 7
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
There are certain guys that you want on your team when the game is on the line......welcome back Stoke.

claymore
04-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Im not "stoked" about it, but worst case he pushes some younger guys and show them how to run a nice route. He will be a good influence.

rationalfan
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
IF he signs, i think it's a very crucial move. but i wouldn't be convinced stokely makes the opening day roster. to me, he's very important in helping the receivers understand what manning wants/expects/does at the line of scrimmage/etc. he's not a coach, he's a translator. it's the same reason mcd brought over so many patriots players his first year. right or wrong (history has shown, mostly wrong), it was a way to integrate a new way of thinking/habits into a locker room without preaching from the coaches' pulpit.

i hope it happens.

NightTerror218
04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I dont think he is needed. Decker and Thomas will learn quick what Manning will want. Manning will not sugar coat anything. Stokley is 36. He is beyond WR shelf life and not an amazing player.

Cugel
04-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Doesn't your argument sound a lot like the argument in favor of Jerry Rice when he came to the Broncos? Same thing here. Guy is very probably totally washed-up. If he has a role on this roster it's a marginal one.

If the Broncos draft a WR or sign one during the pre-season they probably waive Stokely. If not he could be useful in certain 3rd down situations, but not much more than that.

LTC Pain
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Mile High Report is reporting the Broncos have signed Stokely to a one year deal. I'd say DT, Decker, Caldwell, Hill and Stokely are the top five WRs. And we have six other WRs on the roster. No way we draft another WR as that would eject Hill or Stokely off the roster.

Simple Jaded
04-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Mile High Report is reporting the Broncos have signed Stokely to a one year deal. I'd say DT, Decker, Caldwell, Hill and Stokely are the top five WRs. And we have six other WRs on the roster. No way we draft another WR as that would eject Hill or Stokely off the roster.
I would throw Willis in there as I think they keep 6 WR's and go short on TE's or RB's/FB's. If they keep a FB at all. Denver kept 4 TE's last year, maybe Virgil Green goes to practice squad when his suspension is up.......

Npba900
04-18-2012, 09:30 AM

I agree. You need double standards when it comes to a polarizing-posing figure with Tebow. Tebow is better suited for the bright lights of broadway and New York City. Timmy threw the Jaguar's under the Bus in the hopes of taking his circus to New York. Can't blame him. I'm just glade he's out of Denver.

Fullback32
04-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Has there been anymore talk about the Broncs bringing in Dallas Clark? From what I understand, he's still a free agent, but has his injury plagued last two seasons scared everyone off? I suppose with Tamme on board there's no need, but was just wondering.

Simple Jaded
04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Has there been anymore talk about the Broncs bringing in Dallas Clark? From what I understand, he's still a free agent, but has his injury plagued last two seasons scared everyone off? I suppose with Tamme on board there's no need, but was just wondering.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1509/dallas-clark

Rumor is Clark's career might be over.......