PDA

View Full Version : Goodman released

MOtorboat
04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Edit: Looking back, LaConfora by no means broke this.

Team released the statement Tned posted below...

underrated29
04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
sseems a little late, but i guess its early before the june cuts of old.

ShaneFalco
04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Tracy Porter

dogfish
04-13-2012, 05:19 PM
score!

LTC Pain
04-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Not disappointed one bit. The secondary is better now.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏ @PostBroncos

#Broncos annouce they have released veteran cornerback Andre Goodman.

dogfish
04-13-2012, 05:24 PM
and dumbshit faider fans are already begging for him (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/13/broncos-release-starting-cornerback-andre-goodman/#comment-1719057). . . :lol:

lord, let it happen!

Denver Native (Carol)
04-13-2012, 05:28 PM
The Denver Broncos have released veteran cornerback Andre' Goodman, the team announced.

Goodman, 33, had 49 tackles and two interceptions for Denver last season as he started every game.

Goodman became expendable when the Broncos signed former New Orleans Saints cornerback Tracy Porter.

rest - http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1177071&nid=6005848&fhn=1

elsid13
04-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Wonder if this signal another FA signing?

Cugel
04-13-2012, 05:45 PM
It may signal an intent to draft a CB of course. I'm surprised they got rid of him prior to the June cuts. He wasn't earning very much money this year and would provide a quality veteran backup (you just didn't want him starting).

I thought as a #3 CB he'd do O.K., but I guess they want to upgrade. They might find a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round. I doubt they take a CB in the first though.

Tned
04-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Full statement from the Broncos:

FRIDAY, APRIL 13, 2012

BRONCOS RELEASE CORNERBACK ANDRÉ GOODMAN

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos released veteran cornerback André Goodman on Friday, the team announced.

Goodman (5-foot-10, 191 pounds) is an 11th-year player who spent the last three seasons with Denver, starting 40 regular-season contests during that span and totaling 109 tackles (97 solo), one sack (7 yds.), seven interceptions (111 yds.), 35 passes defensed and three fumble recoveries. He recorded five solo tackles while opening both of Denver’s postseason games during the 2011 season.

He also played for Miami (2006-08) and Detroit (2002-05) after being selected by the Lions in the third round (68th overall) of the NFL Draft from the University of South Carolina. For his career, he has played 127 regular-season games (95 starts) and registered 322 tackles (269 solo), one sack (7 yds.), 19 interceptions (206 yds.), 95 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and eight fumble recoveries. He also owns six solo tackles in three career postseason starts.

Krugan
04-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Not sure why this is a good move.

Depth is important, and it seems we are lacking it everywhere.

NightTerror218
04-13-2012, 05:57 PM
finally. I hear Dre Kirkpatrick is on the radar for Denver.

I would take him in the 1st and a DT in the second and Turbin in the 3rd and call it a day.

dogfish
04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
It may signal an intent to draft a CB of course. I'm surprised they got rid of him prior to the June cuts. He wasn't earning very much money this year and would provide a quality veteran backup (you just didn't want him starting).

I thought as a #3 CB he'd do O.K., but I guess they want to upgrade. They might find a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round. I doubt they take a CB in the first though.

four million a year is vastly overpaid for a nickel corner. . . if they really want a vet at that spot on the depth chart, there's no reason we can't still sign a very comparable player for half that. . .

NightTerror218
04-13-2012, 06:16 PM
happy dance
:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Magnificent Seven
04-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Getting rid of McDaniels' players except Ayers, Decker and D. Thomas.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-13-2012, 07:36 PM

This draft is deep enough that we can find a replacement in the 3rd or early 4th, perhaps even someone to develop later than that...

NightTerror218
04-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Dwight Bentley I think his name is in the 3rd. Kid was a standout at Senior bowl I think it was or shiners game. One of those.

chazoe60
04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
This means about 3 less whining posts from me in the gameday threads.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Don't love this move, but I'm also not affected. Thanx for the solid play Goody. I hope we don't regret losing the veteran depth in the secondary.

UnderArmour
04-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Bailey not sad to see Goodman go “I wasn’t getting no balls”
Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey would've sealed the Steelers fate had the referees not botched a call. It would also prove to be one of the few games in the season where the opposing team didn't have a viable 2nd receiving threat to push Goodman.

Bailey told the National Football Post that he’s happy the Broncos released Andre Goodman and signed Tracy Porter because, for a cornerback, playing with a second cornerback like Porter is a lot more fun than playing with an over the hill loser like Goodman.

“It’s a business decision,” Bailey said, via espn.com. “I ain’t going to say I was sad because the only thing they remember, well they don't remember shit because nobody threw a damn ball at me. You gotta go back and look all rest of the games. I wasn’t getting no balls and against a team like the Patriots we need some damn turnovers, but I don’t want to talk bad about Andre except I will say he sucks, but hey I am happy we got Tracy.”

Is there any corner in the NFL who would rather play with Goodman than Porter? Bailey also hinted that he didn’t appreciate the way the media ignored him because he didn't get any damn balls thrown at him.

“If it wasn’t for me the awful QBs such as Mark Sanchez that we played wouldn't have forced balls to awful #2 receivers like Plaxico Burress. Even Andre Goodman can cover losers like that.’”

And Bailey said that while Goodman is a good teammate, he wasn’t quite the solid starter on the field that he’s sometimes made out to be. When Goodman got burned, people noticed.

“You would have people calling him out saying, ‘Andre you gotta make that pick. You gotta actually cover the damn receiver,’” Bailey said. “Players on defense trying to get him better.”

One thing we can be reasonably sure about is that in Denver this year, Goodman won't be collecting $4.6 million from any team ever again.
Hopefully Tracy Porter is actually better.

DenBronx
04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
and dumbshit faider fans are already begging for him (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/13/broncos-release-starting-cornerback-andre-goodman/#comment-1719057). . . :lol:

lord, let it happen!

I hope the raiders get Goodman. Manning will torch the crap out of him!!!

rationalfan
04-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Goodman = a fan's excuse for the reality that the defense wasn't perfect

FanInAZ
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I really want the Raiders to sign him just so I can read OR gloating about how he's still a Pro Bowl talent, how is going to make the Raiders so much better & how big of a mistake it was letting him go. It's sure to provide some 1st rate comic relief around here.

broncobryce
04-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Goodman is a good player. Pick six against jets anyone? Pick to seal it against the vikes? Every corner gets beat, especially opposite Champ Bailey

Canmore
04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Goodman is a good player. Pick six against jets anyone? Pick to seal it against the vikes? Every corner gets beat, especially opposite Champ Bailey

I liked Goodman. I thought he had a thankless job and did it better than he got credit for. I'm excited to see what Porter brings to the table, but I don't harbor any ill will towards Andre Goodman.

Jsteve01
04-14-2012, 12:15 AM
All the Goodman hate is silly. He was solid opposite champ. He just made too much to stay as a nickle

tomjonesrocks
04-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Goodman had some solid moments in Denver. But, guess he's a year or two from dropping from average/solid to below average.

Northman
04-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Don't love this move, but I'm also not affected. Thanx for the solid play Goody. I hope we don't regret losing the veteran depth in the secondary.

Yea, not a world burner but his INT TD against NY was HUGE.

Chef Zambini
04-14-2012, 08:13 AM
and there is much rejoicing! goodman stunk ! the front office probably got so sick to their stomackhs watching film of defensive breakdowns and shortcomings and GOODMAN being the star of almost every negative high-light !
he is aweful, cant cover, cant or wont tackle, out of position constantly when in zone, pathetic against the run, worthless !
he can live with tuten in a van down by the river.

Softskull
04-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Goodman was an above average CB that seemed to hate tackling. We got three decent years out of him but his time was up. I wish him the best.

Slick
04-14-2012, 08:33 AM
I might have kept Goodman until I found out if Porter is going to be suspended.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Goodman was a decent cover guy but probably the worst tackler currently in the NFL. If Porter is suspended, I'd rather see Chris Harris, who's a damned good tackler, get the start at RCB than to see Goodman out there. I haven't seen a CB worse at tackling since Deion Sanders and Deion might actually be better.

If you look at the big plays vs our defense last year, they weren't 50 yard deep bombs... Most were 5 yard passes where the first tackler (usually Goodman) missed, followed by more missed tackles (typically the rookie Safeties) and then it was Champ having to come from across the field and running a guy down 40-50 yards downfield...

Give me a decent cover guy who isn't afraid to hit and tackle over a great cover guy that can't/won't tackle any day. If you watch our redzone defense last year, you can see that just about every team knew to run off LT and right at Goodman. How many RBs strolled into the endzone as Goodman half-heartedly dove at their feet or attempted a weak arm tackle?

Not sad he's gone.

Chef Zambini
04-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I would rather play with TEN,
than put GOODMAN on the field,
as an easy no-brainer target,
for the QB to exploit !

Chef Zambini
04-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Q: why didnt we trade goodman ?

A: because nobody would give us a flaming bag of dog shit for him.

broncobryce
04-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Goodman was a decent cover guy but probably the worst tackler currently in the NFL. If Porter is suspended, I'd rather see Chris Harris, who's a damned good tackler, get the start at RCB than to see Goodman out there. I haven't seen a CB worse at tackling since Deion Sanders and Deion might actually be better.

If you look at the big plays vs our defense last year, they weren't 50 yard deep bombs... Most were 5 yard passes where the first tackler (usually Goodman) missed, followed by more missed tackles (typically the rookie Safeties) and then it was Champ having to come from across the field and running a guy down 40-50 yards downfield...

Give me a decent cover guy who isn't afraid to hit and tackle over a great cover guy that can't/won't tackle any day. If you watch our redzone defense last year, you can see that just about every team knew to run off LT and right at Goodman. How many RBs strolled into the endzone as Goodman half-heartedly dove at their feet or attempted a weak arm tackle?

Not sad he's gone.

Good points. I always thought that was because they were trying to run at Elvis, but you're right, Goodman didn't like to tackle. His salary was probably to high at least. Maybe they plan on drafting one or picking one up on the cheap in free agency. There are plenty of guys out there.

Chef Zambini
04-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Not sad he's gone.

BINGO !
in goodman is in the background or a target of every other teams highlight reel against our defense !
a QB breaks the huddle, looks for goodman and knows exactly where he is going.

BroncoStud
04-14-2012, 01:32 PM

Yeah, I don't get it... If you want Porter to start - GREAT, but we need depth and he was already under contract.

Canmore
04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I don't get it... If you want Porter to start - GREAT, but we need depth and he was already under contract.

According to Rotoworld, Goodman's contract this coming season was $4.62 million. Obviously more than the Broncos wanted to spend for a nickle corner.

BroncoNut
04-14-2012, 06:01 PM
yeah, I'm with you. He was decent enough to keep around. he seemed to have lost some passion, but damn.. you guys are way too hard on some of these players imo

dogfish
04-14-2012, 06:54 PM
yeah, I'm with you. He was decent enough to keep around. he seemed to have lost some passion, but damn.. you guys are way too hard on some of these players imo

he lost his SPEED, nut, not his passion. . .

:welcome:

BroncoNut
04-14-2012, 07:57 PM
he lost his SPEED, nut, not his passion. . .

:welcome:

whatever :welcome:

MOtorboat
04-14-2012, 07:59 PM
whatever :welcome:

Don't argue nut.

PAINTERDAVE
04-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Champ Bailey-
"It’s a business decision,” Bailey said, via espn.com. “I ain’t going to say I was sad because the only thing they remember, well they don't remember shit because nobody threw a damn ball at me. You gotta go back and look all rest of the games. I wasn’t getting no balls and against a team like the Patriots we need some damn turnovers, but I don’t want to talk bad about Andre except I will say he sucks, but hey I am happy we got Tracy.”

Wow. That is some pretty straight dope there.

I wont talk bad about him except I will say he SUCKS!

Yikes. Tell us how you really feel , Champ.

Jsteve01
04-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Champ Bailey-
"It’s a business decision,” Bailey said, via espn.com. “I ain’t going to say I was sad because the only thing they remember, well they don't remember shit because nobody threw a damn ball at me. You gotta go back and look all rest of the games. I wasn’t getting no balls and against a team like the Patriots we need some damn turnovers, but I don’t want to talk bad about Andre except I will say he sucks, but hey I am happy we got Tracy.”

lol yeah that's a legit espn quote

jhildebrand
04-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Champ Bailey-

That is When Cortland became Cortland Innegan :lol:

Simple Jaded
04-15-2012, 03:42 AM
According to Rotoworld, Goodman's contract this coming season was $4.62 million. Obviously more than the Broncos wanted to spend for a nickle corner.
Yeah but it might cost Denver the same amount to cut him. If he's still counting 4 mil against the 2012 cap I don't see the point in cutting him. 2013 is a different story, it's the last year of his contract and cutting him results in cap savings.

Goodman had over 9+ mil in signing bonus and another 4+ mil in playing time incentives, all of which is prorated, l believe that counts against the teams cap.......

HORSEPOWER 56
04-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Champ Bailey-

That excerpt is actually longer than Dave posted and pretty damned funny. Someone (I'm guessing a Broncos fan) just cut and pasted excerpts from the Demaryius Thomas interview about Manning/Tebow and plugged in a couple expletives and Goodman's name instead of Tebow's... pretty damned funny reading if you ask me. It obviously is a fake, but if Champ pimp slapped somebody like that for real I'd LOL... completely out of character for him. :lol:

BroncoNut
04-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Don't argue nut.

Mo, I'm going to put this out there in front of everyone. this fall for the tailgate, I want to fly into Nebraska and hang out with you. We can roadtrip from there to the tailgate. I If your nervous about that, maybe we can compromise, like I would fly back home from Denver. I think some one on one time would be really neat. I want to hear your story

MOtorboat
04-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Sounds good nut.

BroncoNut
04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Sounds good nut.

let's keep that option open. It would be neat to see some of that country too. Living out here for so long, I appreciate the plains. BTW, I'm really considerate on things like this. Like I wouldn't even think of asking to smoke a cigarette in your car.

MOtorboat
04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I thought you quit.

BroncoNut
04-15-2012, 03:46 PM
I thought you quit.

I might be by fall. I can't believe I'm still smoking. What a terrible habit. It's my security blanket and it's killing me.

Canmore
04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah but it might cost Denver the same amount to cut him. If he's still counting 4 mil against the 2012 cap I don't see the point in cutting him. 2013 is a different story, it's the last year of his contract and cutting him results in cap savings.

Goodman had over 9+ mil in signing bonus and another 4+ mil in playing time incentives, all of which is prorated, l believe that counts against the teams cap.......

Couldn't find his cap hit for 2012. I'm sure that it's substantial. Doubt it is $4 million though.

Canmore
04-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Found some information on Goodman's contract. According to It's All Over Fatman, Andre will count $2.4 million against the 2012 cap.

jhildebrand
04-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Maybe this team could rid itself of DJ Williams too!

PAINTERDAVE
04-15-2012, 06:56 PM
That excerpt is actually longer than Dave posted and pretty damned funny. Someone (I'm guessing a Broncos fan) just cut and pasted excerpts from the Demaryius Thomas interview about Manning/Tebow and plugged in a couple expletives and Goodman's name instead of Tebow's... pretty damned funny reading if you ask me. It obviously is a fake, but if Champ pimp slapped somebody like that for real I'd LOL... completely out of character for him. :lol:

I guess I dont come here for real info anymore....

Lesson learned. Thanks guys.

UnderArmour
04-15-2012, 08:59 PM
I guess I dont come here for real info anymore....

Lesson learned. Thanks guys.

Nah you're good but you should be careful to check sources. I didn't put a link because I wasn't intending for anyone to read my altered article as serious. I read the Demaryius Thomas quote and was inspired to write a Champ Bailey version when Goodman got released.

Simple Jaded
04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Couldn't find his cap hit for 2012. I'm sure that it's substantial. Doubt it is $4 million though.
I hear ya. But what I'm going off of was Goodman's Rotoworld contract details before his release, which reported a 9.8 mil signing bonus and a playing time incentive of 4.8 mil. I'm not positive about the P/T incentive but I know a signing bonus is prorated, 9.8 mil over 5 years is 1.96 per year.......two years remaining puts the Broncos at 3.92 cap hit in 2012.

This much I'm pretty sure of, it's the P/T incentive that I'm sketchy on but there is just under 700.000 savings before any P/T cap hit, if any. But 700,000 is another veteran minimum contract like Ryan Harris, so in that case it makes sense.

Keep in mind this completely opposite of the kind of contracts the Broncos have been negotiating lately, which have been little to no singing bonuses with real cap numbers. They are now insisting on contracts that keep the salary cap healthy. But, Goodman's contract was negotiated when Hurricane Josh was at it's most destructive at a time when the Broncos were flush with cap room after the dead weight of Travis Henry, Javon Walker type contracts finally cleared.......

Chef Zambini
04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
According to Rotoworld, Goodman's contract this coming season was $4.62 million. Obviously more than the Broncos wanted to spend for a nickle corner.they would rather surrender 2.4 million dollars in cap space than allow goodman to wear a bronco uniform and take up a roster spot! they dont even want him in camp spreading his malaise of half hearted commitment and performance.