PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ayers

honz
04-26-2009, 02:54 AM
Post info on and discuss the beast currently known as Robert Ayers.

18. Denver Broncos (from Chicago)
The pick: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
What he brings: Ayers possesses the size and athleticism to be an effective outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. He has the strength to hold the edges against the run and fluidity to spot-drop when ask to drop into coverage. One of Ayers' best qualities is his ability to get to the passer. That capability was the reason Denver pulled the trigger on him.

How he fits: Most people felt like Ayers was a better fit in a 4-3, however, he is a good enough athlete to play the strongside linebacker spot in Denver. He is also capable of putting his hand on the ground and rushing the passer. He fits the bill for what new head coach Josh McDaniels is looking for in that he is tough, durable and versatile. He will add much-needed help to Denver's front seven on defense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4099731

Overall Football Traits

Production 2
Tennessee red shirts Ayers in 2004 and he appears in nine games in 2005. 2006-2007: Ayers starts two of the 27 games he appears in, recording a total of 59 tackles including 44 unassisted tackles, 15 tackles-for-loss and five sacks. He deflects three passes. 2008: Ayers starts in all 12 games, recording a total of 49 tackles including 34 unassisted tackles, 15.5 tackles-for-loss and three sacks. He intercepts one pass and records six quarterback hurries.

Height-Weight-Speed 3
Adequate height with very good bulk. Top-end speed is below average for the position.

Durability 2
Broke his hand during August scrimmage in 2006 and played with a cast. Otherwise, durability was not an issue during career at UT.

Character 4
Charged with aggravated assault in 2005 and Tennessee suspends him from team. School suspends him from summer school and puts him on indefinite suspension. Charges reportedly stem from fights between football players and fraternity members. The charge is later reduced to misdemeanor assault and Ayers pleads guilty. Reportedly, he was not the most coachable player early in his career but has since matured.

Defensive End specific Traits

Agility/Quickness 2
Good natural athlete for his size. Quicker than fast and can beat blockers to the point of contact. Fluid changing directions when attacking upfield and shows good lateral mobility scraping down the line of scrimmage. Has some experience lining up in two-point stance.

Strength/Toughness 3
Below-average upper body strength and doesn't deliver a violent initial punch. That showed up on the bench press at the Combine, where he only notched 18 reps. He does, however, display active hands and fights to get off blocks. Lower body strength appears good on film. He can anchor and hold ground.

Instincts 4
Can get caught trying to time the snap rather than going on movement of the ball. Gets caught too far upfield at times and vulnerable to draws. Lacks ideal discipline. Needs to do a more consistent job of staying home and taking away cutback lanes/reverses/end-around.

Pass Rusher 2
Lacks ideal closing speed but explosive, gets good inside lean and flashes the ability to turn the corner. Can redirect inside after starting outside and flashes effective double moves. Keeps heap up and generally does a good job of getting hands up when sees quarterback start throwing motion. While drives legs on contact, isn't a powerful bull rusher.

Run Stopper 2
Explosive first step and can disrupt plays in the backfield. Takes sound pursuit angles and shows good closing speed for size. Plays too high and has some problems holding ground as a result. Doesn't split double teams well. Inconsistent open field tackler though flashes the ability to deliver the big hit.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

honz
04-26-2009, 03:03 AM
McShay breaks down Ayers.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4094354

Interview with Ayers.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4077137

Skinny
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
No. 18 overall pick likes fit with Broncos (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/apr/25/ayers-selected-denver-no-18/)

Robert Ayers knew it the moment his phone rang. The Denver area code gave it away.

“I saw 303 come up on my phone and I knew who it was,” Ayers said in a conference call Saturday after the University of Tennessee defensive end was selected in the first round of the NFL draft on Saturday. “I was excited because I feel like I fit very well in this scheme.”

Denver used the 18th overall pick to select Ayers.

“I’m real excited,” the 6-foot-3, 272-pounder said from a family cookout in New Jersey, where he lived before moving to South Carolina during high school. “I was telling my family that I was thinking that Denver would be the team.

“But when you hear stuff like that you try not to get your hopes up too high.”

Ayers showed NFL potential way back in high school, when he starred at Marlboro County High in Clio, S.C.

“He was a tremendous athlete and just a great player at linebacker,” former UT defensive ends coach Steve Caldwell said. “We knew because of his body structure, he might grow into a defensive end.”

Caldwell knew it. Ayers wasn’t so sure.

“It took Robert awhile to buy into that,” Caldwell said. “He still thought we were crazy for putting his hand on the ground because he thought he was a linebacker.

“It took him awhile to buy into the weight program. It took him awhile to buy into going to school but once he did, he became a great kid, a great young man and a great leader for the football team.”

Ayers’ ascension was one of the big stories leading up to the draft. Ayers went from a virtual unknown to a one-year wonder last season to a first-round pick.

“I think three years from now when we look back at this draft — and people think I’m crazy — I think he’s going to be the best defensive player out of the entire draft,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said shortly after Ayers was selected.

Caldwell pointed to two games last season that helped Ayers gain more respect from NFL front offices.

The first came in a 26-14 loss to Georgia.

“Even though we were getting beat, he was dominating the line of scrimmage until the final whistle blew,” Caldwell said. “That impressed me more than anything, knowing that he had grown up and he wasn’t going to quit.”

Then there was his performance against Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith, who was selected with the sixth pick by the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday.

“I thought he (Ayers) just had a tremendous ball game against him (Smith), a player that’s supposed to be a great player too,” Caldwell said.

Ayers’ versatility was also on display throughout 2008. Ayers primarily played defensive end but frequently slid inside to defensive tackle. He often was asked to drop into pass coverage as part of UT’s zone blitz scheme.

“With our scheme he did a lot of dropping into pass coverage,” Caldwell said.

Such versatility made Ayers a solid pick for a 3-4 defense as a linebacker or a 4-3 defense needing a defensive end. Ayers could play either in Denver.

“We’re going to use him in a lot of different ways,” first-year Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. “He’s a player that we’re looking forward to moving around and finding where he fits best.”

The Broncos acquired the pick to take Ayers when they traded former Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

Denver also selected former Georgia tailback Knowshon Moreno with the 12th overall pick. Ayers approved.

“Every time I played against him, we always thought he was the best back in the country by far,” Ayers said. “He’s a hard runner. He’s one of the hardest runners I’ve ever played against.”

Caldwell has coached more than his fair share of NFL prospects, such as Shaun Ellis of the New York Jets, Parys Haralson of the San Francisco 49ers, Leonard Little of the St. Louis Rams and Will Overstreet, who played for the Atlanta Falcons.

“There’s no doubt he’s in the top four or five; you’d have to say that,” Caldwell said of players he has coached. “The thing that I think is the most impressive about him is he’s probably come further than any kid I’ve coached, as a player and as a person.

“All around he’s just done everything that you could ask of him.”

Following UT’s 5-7 season, Ayers elevated himself to a first-round prospect with his MVP performance at the Senior Bowl and strong workouts at the NFL Combine and at UT’s Pro Day.

Former UT defensive end Chuck Smith, who is now with Defensive Ends Inc., worked with Ayers leading up to the draft.

“It’s a great amazing story that came out of such a tough year for all the Volunteers. Rob was one of the guys that got caught up in the shuffle,” Smith said of Ayers, who was named All-SEC after posting 15½ tackles for a loss in 2008.

The key for Ayers — soon a multi-millionaire — may be listening to the same type of good advice he shunned as a UT underclassman.

“I hope he’s got good people around him that will give him good advice,” Caldwell said. “That’s the reason he is where he is today.”

Ayers is the fourth consecutive first round pick from UT.

Defensive back Jason Allen went to the Miami Dolphins with the 16th pick in 2006. Defensive tackle Justin Harrell went to the Green Bay Packers with the 16th pick in 2007. Linebacker Jerod Mayo went to the New England Patriots with the 10th pick last year.

honz
04-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Figured I'd bump this worthless thread. I was just checking out some videos over at NFL.com and checked out what they had to say about our Ayers selection. Mayock loves the guy, but the thing that impressed me the most was the highlights they showed of him. He makes Michael Oher and other look silly at the Senior Bowl practices and he shows a variety of moves. He can bull rush you, he has a swim move, he has a spin move, he can stand up, and he plays the run and the pass well. I'm starting to really like this pick.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ffb70f

EMB6903
04-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Dont really know what to expect from Ayers... I can tell you I have been very impressed with how he looks on tape.. but who doesnt look good on tape?

He dominated the senior bowl and is probably the reason Michael Oher fell as far as he did but because of it but I'm still not sure what to expect.. That being said he has really shown potential during his senior year... I will tell you that I'm very excited to watch him during training camp this year..We will see how he matches up vs Harris and Clady.

threefolddead
04-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Figured I'd bump this worthless thread. I was just checking out some videos over at NFL.com and checked out what they had to say about our Ayers selection. Mayock loves the guy, but the thing that impressed me the most was the highlights they showed of him. He makes Michael Oher and other look silly at the Senior Bowl practices and he shows a variety of moves. He can bull rush you, he has a swim move, he has a spin move, he can stand up, and he plays the run and the pass well. I'm starting to really like this pick.

I saw that during the draft and that really sold me on him as well. Seemed to me that he had two separate moves which few guys have coming in the the NFL. If that is the case, this pick was an excellent one. I think I heard interviews with most of the D lineman rated above him leading up to the draft and the majority were "working" on their second move because they knew they would need it for the NFL. He was owning those guys in practice. Hopefully it translates

56crash
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM

so why did he forget to show up and play football for 4 year of College Football ...

BUST

honz
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
so why did he forget to show up and play football for 4 year of College Football ...

BUST
Why was he a team captain?

LRtagger
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8d6f0

broncohead
04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Why was he a team captain?

Maybe it was because it took him 3 years to start, he has a lot of sacks, he has a lot of QB pressures, he's a good locker room guy, has had off the field issues, should I keep going?

CoachChaz
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
If he gets 0 sacks, but makes 10-15 pressures that lead to dead drives or INT's, then I'm happy.

honz
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Maybe it was because it took him 3 years to start, he has a lot of sacks, he has a lot of QB pressures, he's a good locker room guy, has had off the field issues, should I keep going?

Not sure what point you are trying to make...

broncohead
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
If he gets 0 sacks, but makes 10-15 pressures that lead to dead drives or INT's, then I'm happy.

He didn't even have 10 pressures in college what makes you think he'll have more in the NFL?

honz
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
He didn't even have 10 pressures in college what makes you think he'll have more in the NFL?

I'm pretty sure he did...

He had 15.5 tackles for loss this year and was voted 1st team All SEC by the coaches. He obviously knows how to get into the backfield.

CoachChaz
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Key word was IF. Dont recall saying I thought it would happen.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM

can i get a dozen+ TFLs in the run game added on to that?

broncohead
04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure he did...

He had 15.5 tackles for loss this year and was voted 1st team All SEC by the coaches. He obviously knows how to get into the backfield.

I was reading an article that said he only had 9 QB pressures in his senior season. I'll try and find it. I think it was at nfl.com

CoachChaz
04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
can i get a dozen+ TFLs in the run game added on to that?

I wish I could give you that, but apparently...despite the fact he was 1st round round talent, rated higher than he went, put up numbers on a bad defense and made SEC tackles look bad...he sucks.

I'm told he will be a bust, so I guess it's true.

broncohead
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Not sure what point you are trying to make...

Making it sound like his play made him a team captain. That means nothing because he didn't have good production throughout his college career.

broncohead
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I wish I could give you that, but apparently...despite the fact he was 1st round round talent, rated higher than he went, put up numbers on a bad defense and made SEC tackles look bad...he sucks.

I'm told he will be a bust, so I guess it's true.

If he was on such a bad defense why didn't he start earlier?

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM

I don't think that will fly. He may not need to get double digit sacks but zero sacks wont cut it.

broncohead
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I just don't think he'll be the OLB people are saying he could be. In my eyes he's a DE not OLB. I would be happy if he dominated 1 on 1 matchups and eventually demands a double team to free up a LB. From what I've seen, heard, and read he's a good run stopper not pass rusher.

G_Money
04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
If we were still in a 4-3 all the time I'd be a lot higher on Ayers. He's the end we needed - a guy who can make tackles look stupid and RBs eat turf. When he wants to. But most DL only play when they want to.

I would still have had a problem with his one-year-wonder status and coachability, but I'd be more certain of his on-the-field impact when he wants to bring it.

He reminds of Gerrard Warren personality-wise: actually puts forth effort only when it matters to his bottom line, and otherwise does his own thing while ignoring coaches. Hopefully that's the way he WAS and not the way he IS. Kids can always learn, and have a light go on.

As it is, I think he's too slow to play rush LB, especially for a team not known for DL that can hold an edge in any way. I can't see us keeping him clean enough to get to the QB, his coverage skills would make me cry, and he's quick...but not FAST enough to escape the long arms of whatever OL got paws on him.

Which IMO leaves him at DE. If he can add the weight to properly anchor there and bring this year's effort in the film room, on the practice field and on game day to his pro career...he can definitely be a stud. He has all sorts of gifts.

I just think he has too many ?s to get there. At least we have a real DL coach now - maybe that will help.

And now that he's a Bronco, I will eagerly cheer for him to prove me wrong and be a rare creature in a 3-4: a DE who can hold the edge and kill the QB too.

~G

G_Money
04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't think that will fly. He may not need to get double digit sacks but zero sacks wont cut it.

DE in a 3-4 don't usually get a lot of sacks. Ask Chris Canty. It's more a part of Ayers's game than Canty's.

But I'd feel better about getting no/few DE sacks if I knew we had a rush LB or two worth their salt.

~G

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
If he was on such a bad defense why didn't he start earlier?

If I'm not mistaken Ayers had maturity issues early on in his college career. That may be why he didn't start sooner.

CoachChaz
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
fine. then we drafted the DL everyone is whining for and its all good. but i still see him used in multiple roles. much the way Mecklenburg was moved around

G_Money
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd love to see him be that versatile.

First, of course, I'd like to see the other 10 guys master a scheme - and have that scheme be useful - for the first time in a few years. Coherence hasn't been our strong suit.

I'd prefer not to put a bunch of wrinkles in a scheme before we can actually handle the basics, especially for a rookie DL.

To start with, I'd think Ayers would need to produce at one position before we try giving him multiple options and looks, and I don't see that happening for at least another year.

But in the end, I'd love for us to be able to have versatile LB and DE that we can move around and drive opposing offenses crazy with.

~G

CoachChaz
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd love to see him be that versatile.

First, of course, I'd like to see the other 10 guys master a scheme - and have that scheme be useful - for the first time in a few years. Coherence hasn't been our strong suit.

I'd prefer not to put a bunch of wrinkles in a scheme before we can actually handle the basics, especially for a rookie DL.

To start with, I'd think Ayers would need to produce at one position before we try giving him multiple options and looks, and I don't see that happening for at least another year.

But in the end, I'd love for us to be able to have versatile LB and DE that we can move around and drive opposing offenses crazy with.

~G

Those are the things I like about him more than the others. he can play LB, DE and even on the interior to add pass rush there is needed in certain scenarios. His versatility will eventually pay the dividends in his value

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
So, do we know yet what he's playing in Denver?

Skinny
04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Tennessee did not have a bad defense.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-28-2009, 07:11 PM
UT's D was actually kinda nasty. Gators made em look bad, but otherwise they were pretty stout. The O was terrible.

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 09:47 PM

I haven't heard or read anything from McDaniels or Nolan on just what they envision for Ayers.

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
UT's D was actually kinda nasty. Gators made em look bad, but otherwise they were pretty stout. The O was terrible.

The Gators having been doing that to a lot of teams.

dogfish
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM

football. . . . :listen:

but i hear he's a pretty wicked scratch golfer, also. . . .

wait, did you mean what position he's going to play? nah, no word yet. . . .

getlynched47
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Kiper says Ayers can be like DeMarcus Ware???

Hell yeah :werd:

broncobryce
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Quarterback

Broncolingus
04-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Robert Ayers

Ask me in December...

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Kiper says Ayers can be like DeMarcus Ware???

Hell yeah :werd:

Yea I was completely stoked when I heard that.

EastCoastBronco
04-29-2009, 07:05 AM

Nail on the head. I would love to be able to watch our D in third and long again without having to put my hands in front of my face...

Dirk
04-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Maybe with the changes and pick ups...we will have the Blueberry Crush Defense! (due to the blue being the predominate color). :D

It's gotta be better than last year! :coffee:

EastCoastBronco
04-29-2009, 08:53 AM
We haven't had any pass rush since Alfred Williams, Neil Smith, Keith Traylor and Maa Tanuvasa left..;-)

BroncosRockdaRockies
04-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Kiper picked this kid to be the Defensive ROY in this upcoming season! I hope he is right I am so pumped!

oh and btw Knowshon was also a pick for Offensive ROY by another anaylist so McD must have done something right! Go Broncos!!

CoachChaz
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Kiper picked this kid to be the Defensive ROY in this upcoming season! I hope he is right I am so pumped!

oh and btw Knowshon was also a pick for Offensive ROY by another anaylist so McD must have done something right! Go Broncos!!

If that happens on both sides, then it doesnt matter what we did with the rest of the draft. But I think the rest of the kids can have an impact as well.

BroncosRockdaRockies
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
If that happens on both sides, then it doesnt matter what we did with the rest of the draft. But I think the rest of the kids can have an impact as well.

Oh I agree a 100%! And of course it is a pre mature prediction this early but the fact that they were mentioned in that category says alot about the way the FO is approching the new Era of this team. We have alot of players that are very capable of making an Impact this year. :salute:

NightTrainLayne
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM

I have a feeling that a couple of our UDFA's will out-shine a couple of the late-round picks (don't see e.g. Brandstater (sp?) doing much. . at least for several years), but that's not really a knock on the picks either. Just a kudos for some good looking UDFA's after the draft.

It really does appear to me that McDaniels is building a TEAM, and that he is taking each and every facet of that TEAM into account right from the start. A lot of the fans were clamoring for him to just fix the defense, but McD didn't fall into that trap. He might deserve some criticism for overpaying in the draft for some players, but he hasn't ignored any part of the TEAM. Had he gone all defense this draft a lot of fans would be much happier. . .but our TEAM might be worse off. . ..I can't wait to see Moreno on the field.

Dirk
04-29-2009, 10:16 AM
I can't wait to see Moreno on the field.

Me either! :beer:

honz
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Nail on the head. I would love to be able to watch our D in third and long again without having to put my hands in front of my face...
It's sad when you feel like your team has a better chance of stopping a run on 3rd and inches than you do stopping them on 3rd and 10...not that we could feel at all confident in either...

honz
04-29-2009, 11:18 AM
I have a feeling that a couple of our UDFA's will out-shine a couple of the late-round picks (don't see e.g. Brandstater (sp?) doing much. . at least for several years), but that's not really a knock on the picks either. Just a kudos for some good looking UDFA's after the draft.

It really does appear to me that McDaniels is building a TEAM, and that he is taking each and every facet of that TEAM into account right from the start. A lot of the fans were clamoring for him to just fix the defense, but McD didn't fall into that trap. He might deserve some criticism for overpaying in the draft for some players, but he hasn't ignored any part of the TEAM. Had he gone all defense this draft a lot of fans would be much happier. . .but our TEAM might be worse off. . ..I can't wait to see Moreno on the field.

I've said this before, but I won't mind a poor record too much if our defense still sucks as long as our team plays with pride and heart. I grew so tired of our team just rolling over all the time and our D showing absolutely no fire or passion. It almost felt like I was more pumped up for games than our players were.

Also, just a general question...where are you guys reading/hearing all this Robert Ayers love from Kiper?

Nomad
04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I've said this before, but I won't mind a poor record too much if our defense still sucks as long as our team plays with pride and heart. I grew so tired of our team just rolling over all the time and our D showing absolutely no fire or passion. It almost felt like I was more pumped up for games than our players were.

Also, just a general question...where are you guys reading/hearing all this Robert Ayers love from Kiper?

Nothing will surprise this year but the NFL as a whole has a problem with tackling and the BRONCOS are terrible IMO. I know the 'big hit' is equivalent to a dunk in basketball (it's exciting and gets the team motivated and it's fun the fans want to see plus they get on ESPN) but I would settle for the fundamentals/technique to come back and actually tackle a ball carrier rather than seeing a big hit attempted and the ball carrier bounce off the tackler....too many examples to name. I'm not saying no more 'big hits' but maybe these coaches can teach and combine that with the fundamentals of 'wrapping, grabbing, and bringing down' at the same time. Just a thought!!

We all blame the absence of a pash rush but the BRONCOS miss alot of tackles last year, same could be said for alot of players in the NFL. Anyway, I know you probably know this but wanted to throw it out there.