PDA

View Full Version : Majority of NFL Fans Say Vick Should Not Be Allowed to Play Again

Tned
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
What do you think?

August 29, 2007
Majority of NFL Fans Say Vick Should Not Be Allowed to Play Again
Most fans favor a short prison sentence for Vick

by Jeffrey M. Jones

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Panel survey finds that most pro football fans do not believe that Michael Vick should be allowed to play in the National Football League again. Even fewer would like to see their favorite team make an attempt to acquire Vick once he has served his punishment. The vast majority of fans believe Vick should receive prison time for his involvement in dog fighting, although most favor a short prison term over a long term.

The poll was conducted Thursday through Sunday, Aug. 23-26, 2007. Vick formally entered his plea in court and publicly addressed the matter on August 27, but it was widely reported that he would agree to plead guilty in the case prior to the poll's field period. The NFL suspended Vick indefinitely on Thursday.

According to the poll, the vast majority of fans believe Vick should go to prison for his involvement in dog fighting, but more favor a "short prison sentence" (51%) than a "long prison sentence" (35%). Just 12% of fans believe Vick should not serve any prison time at all.

These attitudes vary by attention paid to the story. Nearly half of football fans who report following the story very closely say Vick should get a long prison sentence (45%), slightly more than the 42% who say he should only get a short sentence. Those who are paying less attention to the story favor a shorter prison sentence for Vick.

Vick's fate in terms of prison time will be known Dec. 10 when he is sentenced. His future in the NFL is less clear. But most football fans, 58%, believe Vick should not be allowed to return to the NFL, while 40% think he should. Those following the story more and less closely view this matter similarly.

Fans are even less inclined to want Vick to return in the uniform of their favorite team. Just 22% of football fans say they would "want their favorite NFL team to attempt to sign or trade for Vick after he completes his prison term" -- roughly half the percentage that thinks Vick should be allowed to play again. Seventy-five percent of all football fans would not want Vick to play for the team they root for. Again, these views do not differ much by the amount of attention football fans are paying to the Vick story.

It is clear that the case that has captured the attention of the sport's fan base -- 41% of pro football fans say they are following the news about Vick very closely, and another 46% are following it somewhat closely.

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=28540

GEM
09-01-2007, 03:20 AM
I would personally hope that he never sets foot back on an NFL field again. There was a video that was posted a couple days ago about the dog eating the autographed football....they said something at the end that was oh so true...... playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. He doesn't deserve another chance.

omac
09-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Hmmm ... delicate topic ... to post or not to post ....

Well, let's put it this way. I sure hope everyone who doesn't want Vick to play again because of what he did to animals also didn't wan't Tyson to box again after serving time, being convicted of raping a woman. And if you believe Kobe was guilty of rape, and that he bought his way out of it, I hope you were against him playing again in the NBA, and I sure hope you aren't a fan of his.

Dog fighting is cruel and disgusting, but it pales in comparison to anything done to a human being, at least that's what I believe. And though a lot of posters belittled the amount of the contribution he gave to the Virginia Tech masacre victims, he did give. He also set up the Michael Vick foundation for at-risk youths in Atlanta. That's a whole lot of people he's helped, more than the average person. People are so focussed on what he's done to animals that they sometimes forget some of the good he's done for humans.

Btw, I'm not a Michael Vick fan in any sense, and I'm not looking for a fight. I just want people to step back and think of the good he's done for human beings, before they hang him for what he's done to animals.

Jody
09-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Michael Vick doesn't deserve to play in NFL again. He knowingly broke laws, knew he could get kicked off the team if caught, and still didn't care. Not to forget the fact, you have to be literally a monster to slice the vocal cords of a dog prior to the fight (another little fact that reveals the secrecy of the dog fighting world and not wanting to be heard). It's a sick situation, he took his chances, now let him pay the price he thought he'd never have to pay.

And omac.....you're dead on about the convicted rape.

It's time sports becomes what it used to be again and those who are lucky enough to participate------need to respect their teammates, their coaches, and themselves a whole lot more, or they simply should be kicked out of the sport or off the team.

Den21vsBal19
09-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Hmmm ... delicate topic ... to post or not to post ....

Well, let's put it this way. I sure hope everyone who doesn't want Vick to play again because of what he did to animals also didn't wan't Tyson to box again after serving time, being convicted of raping a woman. And if you believe Kobe was guilty of rape, and that he bought his way out of it, I hope you were against him playing again in the NBA, and I sure hope you aren't a fan of his.

Dog fighting is cruel and disgusting, but it pales in comparison to anything done to a human being, at least that's what I believe. And though a lot of posters belittled the amount of the contribution he gave to the Virginia Tech masacre victims, he did give. He also set up the Michael Vick foundation for at-risk youths in Atlanta. That's a whole lot of people he's helped, more than the average person. People are so focussed on what he's done to animals that they sometimes forget some of the good he's done for humans.

Btw, I'm not a Michael Vick fan in any sense, and I'm not looking for a fight. I just want people to step back and think of the good he's done for human beings, before they hang him for what he's done to animals.

To me though, the biggest difference between what Tyson did, and I didn't want to see him box again, and what Vick's done is the scale.

Same as with Kircus, I can almost forgive a single incident, but what Vick's done is a premeditated series of offenses over a period of time and IMO that totally nullifies anything else. If he'd lost his temper and beaten a single dog to death, then I probably would have been able to let him serve his time and move on.

But to carry out a string of such atrocities over a period of time means that he has lost any right to try to resume his priveldged life.

Not as if he'll ever have to work again, anyway.

Bronco Bible
09-01-2007, 09:32 AM
No football!!!! sadistic scum

BroncoWave
09-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Once he pays his debt to society, why shouldn't he be allowed to play again? Assuming he can turn his life around and put dogfighting behind him, he deserves a second chance like anyone else.

Retired_Member_001
09-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm sure alot of people know I am one of Michael Vick's biggest haters in terms of his playing ability.

What Michael Vick did was completely unhuman. It's very hard to understand how someone could have such a cold heart to do such a thing, personally I couldn't even think of doing that sort of thing myself, it would just tear me up. It was very bad what he did.

But if he DOES redeem himself and PROVE that he has changed then I don't see why he shouldn't come back to the NFL (after all of this I doubt even if he was allowed to come back he would). Some people DO change, some people do seriously regret what they have done and wish they could take it back. As I said I can't understand why he would do such things but (without going into all the cheesy love story stuff) if he does really change his ways he should be allowed back.

I would be very upset if his lawyers managed to cut the sentance down though, he is guilty and DESERVES all this punishment. He deserves to have a long prison sentance, he deserves to be embarrassed, he deserves to be hated by the media and infact he even deserves all the threats he has been given. The more he is punished the higher the chances are he will change.

That's just my opinion.

Bronco Bible
09-03-2007, 10:00 AM
How would a person who could have "mans best friend" killed in such a grizzly way because they are to nice & denies it with a **** eatin grin on thier face show that they are remorseful for what they did?

anton...
09-03-2007, 10:12 AM
to sin is human, to forgive is divine...

now im not one to give a crap, but if he does the time, i dont see why he cant have a second chance...

everyone makes mistakes, as long as he learns, then i dont see a problem...

people must understand that from where grew up, dog fighting was a common thing and although i dont condone it, i also dont see why he would treat it any different as when he grew up??

he deserves nothing more and nothing less that any other person...

playing football is his occupation, i dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to work again...

:2cents:
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Kapaibro
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Gambling and/or involvement in gambling is the biggest no no ever in the NFL contract.

Vick violated that aspect to the highest degree.

Dogfighting aside, the charges for the gambling/racketeering that he plead guilty to, should end his NFL association for good.

anton...
09-03-2007, 10:19 AM
then i have no problem with him being banned...

but if he didnt violate any contractual agreements, i just dont see why so many people are calling for his head...

:whoknows:
________
Bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

Den21vsBal19
09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
to sin is human, to forgive is divine...

now im not one to give a crap, but if he does the time, i dont see why he cant have a second chance...

everyone makes mistakes, as long as he learns, then i dont see a problem...

people must understand that from where grew up, dog fighting was a common thing and although i dont condone it, i also dont see why he would treat it any different as when he grew up??

he deserves nothing more and nothing less that any other person...

playing football is his occupation, i dont see why he shouldnt be allowed to work again...

:2cents:

Vick didn't make a mistake.........getting in your car once while drunk, losing your temper and beating somebody up, flipping a fan off, those are mistakes..............involvement in organised criminal activity, because let's make no bones about it, that's what it is, is not a mistake.......

Apart from Kap's point about the gambling, there's plenty of jobs in which a criminal record is a big no-no. IMO, the life of a professional sportsman is to priveldged a position to allow the likes of Vick to resume.

Kapaibro
09-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Vick didn't make a mistake.........getting in your car once while drunk, losing your temper and beating somebody up, flipping a fan off, those are mistakes..............involvement in organised criminal activity, because let's make no bones about it, that's what it is, is not a mistake.......

Apart from Kap's point about the gambling, there's plenty of jobs in which a criminal record is a big no-no. IMO, the life of a professional sportsman is to priveldged a position to allow the likes of Vick to resume.
Damn straight.

Vick didn't 'mistakenly' get involved in this.

He fully participated from back before he was even in the NFL

He signed his NFL contract knowing full well he was violating one of the main clauses of it, and had no intention of stopping.

He lied to the NFL, the Falcons, and everyone who ever believed he was a good guy.

anton...
09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
cut his head off!!

http://sixty-six.org/plogger/thumbs/lrg-121-angry_mob.JPG

im not standing up for vick because i agree with everything that is being said...
________
SexyBarbie (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/SexyBarbie/)

wylde bill
09-03-2007, 12:20 PM
imo ..... i dont really want to see vick allowed to play again.
now to the ???? at hand should he be allowed to play again ? i think i would have to answer "yes" he should be allowed to play but with stipulations and not right after he gets out of prison.

if he serves his time and gets out in lets say 2 years, i think the commish will suspend him an additional 2 more years with reinstatement. the commish is going to be tough on vick so it may just be longer. remember vick flat out lied to everyone including the commish so vick might just be the poster child for those that fib to the commish.

omac i understand what you are saying and its true, tyson and kobe situations were just disgusting. i never really cared about either sport so i wasnt one to call for them not playing cuz frankly i could care less. the part about vick giving money i think is pointless. i understand players dont have to give money to charities or their time and efforts to better situations but does giving make you a good person. vick lived a double life one that was an nfl star and gave to charities and the other that fought dogs. if those charieties knew about vick fighting dogs do you think they would want his name associated with theirs. id rather live a good life poor and give a buck that i can really use myself than make millions and give some to charities and be cruel to animals in the worse sense.

i think by the time vick gets reinstated into the league it will be a few years later and what team would want him????? should he be reinstated back "sure" by that time thou the game probably would have moved on and vick left behind to cower in the doghouse. the commish might show some sympathy if vick changes his ways now and in the future. but only if its an honest change, remember the commish knows he was lied to all this time and he might just tell vick "i dont believe you've changed"

pete rose is a prime example of gambling kap. he told the mlb commish he never gambled and lost the hall of fame cuz of it. now look at him he's strugling with his own consense.

Krugan
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Leonard Antonio Little

Human life destroyed, proceeds to drink and drive again. Still plays football.

Im not going to say that what Vick gets isnt fair to his crime, because I dont think he should play again ever.

Im just saying, punshiment needs to have some consistancy.

Den21vsBal19
09-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Leonard Antonio Little

Human life destroyed, proceeds to drink and drive again. Still plays football.

Im not going to say that what Vick gets isnt fair to his crime, because I dont think he should play again ever.

Im just saying, punshiment needs to have some consistancy.

And he should neve have been allowed to play football again.............problem is that it's very difficult legally for the new commish to take action on an event that took place ten years ago................

kcvet
09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
he has been suspened by the league indefinitely. and the league gave permission for the falcons to recover bonus $$$$. they want 22 million back.

broncos9697
09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
What do you think?

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=28540

no no no....
what he did was wrong ''bad judgement''
he's going to spend his time in jail take his suspension from the nfl and he will be back 100% healthy...
There should be no reason he's not allowed to be here in the nfl....first time offender...

Den21vsBal19
09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
no no no....
what he did was wrong ''bad judgement''
he's going to spend his time in jail take his suspension from the nfl and he will be back 100% healthy...
There should be no reason he's not allowed to be here in the nfl....first time offender...

Bad judgement is getting in your car drunk...............first time.......

Bad judgement is losing your temper in an arguement and putting someone in hospital...............................first time.......

Being involved in organised criminal activities is waaaaayyyy beyond bad judgement.............IMO.

Simple Jaded
09-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Vick made a mistake? A mistake that lasted 6 or 7 years? Running over a dog in the street is a mistake, killing dogs for 6 or 7 years is not a mistake, it's ****ed up!

I think what these people really want to say (and don't have the stones to say), is that what he did wasn't bad enough to warrant a lifetime ban.....Because the "mistake" excuse is stupid (No offense).

If you think he should be given a second chance, just say so, but mistakes don't last 6years. If you knew your neighbor was abusing his dog for years, would you say he just made a mistake?

As for the topic....I couldn't care less what happens to Michael Vick.....

lex
09-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I think what he did is disgusting and like many things its a matter of degree and I agree with what an earlier poster said about it not being one isolated incident. Also, who says he has paid his debt to society? One year for this level of cruelty is a joke. The main thrust of his time will not come from animal cruelty. So, Im not sold on the notion that he has paid his debt to society. And to be honest, what he has done is so disgusting that he doesnt deserve to play again.