PDA

View Full Version : Who Plays the nose?

Bill Devaroe
04-25-2009, 10:16 PM
We just traded Jay Cutler for Ayers and a scrub tight end, and a midget corner. Lovely.

So.......the question is..... who the hell is our D line?

Marcus Thomas on the nose?

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Bill, I heard you might be getting a call tomorrow. I spoke to McDaniels about your ability to play the nose and he thinks that if you get all jacked up on Old Crow and Root Beer that you could be the next Casey Hampton. Better start hitting the bottle hard, you might have someone to impress on a phone interview tomorrow. :salute:

dogfish
04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
they're gonna get cleo lemon to play the nose. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Well...Fields was brought in to play NT.

Potential remaining draftees include Dorell Scott of Clemson, Terrance Taylor of Michigan and Sammie Lee Hill of Stillman.

shank
04-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Well...Fields was brought in to play NT.

Potential remaining draftees include Dorell Scott of Clemson, Terrance Taylor of Michigan and Sammie Lee Hill of Stillman.

marcus thomas seems to be in the mix too, judging by mcd's pre-draft conference.

i have scott and taylor on my board, let's hope we get one of them. i also have vaughn martin as a later-round option.

Bill Devaroe
04-25-2009, 10:21 PM
I actully played some nose tackle growing up in byers, I am starting to think I am a better option then these clowns. ecspecialy after a few old crows

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
I think that McDaniels and Xanders are quite comfortable with our defensive line. While we see it as pure crap, they might see it as serviceable...or maybe even good. They know what they're doing....i hope :eek:

Skinny
I really hope we get a NT tommorrow. Or two.

Bill Devaroe
marcus thomas seems to be in the mix too, judging by mcd's pre-draft conference.

i have scott and taylor on my board, let's hope we get one of them. i also have vaughn martin as a later-round option.

Nice I am glad they are on your " board" nerd.

I am sure that yuor girlfriend is impressed/

Requiem / The Dagda
Darn tootin' Bill, they might even give you your signing bonus in bottles of Old Crow. Best of luck to ya!

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
It's looking like Thomas or Fields

Drill-N-Fill
04-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think we play much 3-4 this year. Majority of workouts have showed we played very little 3-4 and majority was 4-3.

Bill Devaroe
04-25-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't think we play much 3-4 this year. Majority of workouts have showed we played very little 3-4 and majority was 4-3.

ok then who plays the 4-3? Champ and DJ? is cloning legal yet?

DenBronx
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
i think carlton powell is going to impress. that was the dt we took last year and was injured before the season started. fields will be solid and who knows, maybe thomas will flourish there.

Bill Devaroe
04-25-2009, 10:41 PM
i think carlton powell is going to impress. that was the dt we took last year and was injured before the season started. fields will be solid and who knows, maybe thomas will flourish there.

He was great on the bench last year, he should be awesome.

sneakers
04-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Bill is on a roll tonight!

slim
04-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I can pick a nose like nobodies business.

SR
04-25-2009, 11:53 PM

That's gotta be what the coaches are banking on. I don't think Thomas has what it takes to be a NT.

Watchthemiddle
04-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Clady is going to play both ways...

No seriously, I vote Scott from Clemson.

LoyalSoldier
04-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I am just hoping we can get someone worthwhile with our remaining picks. Our current roster does not instill much confidence in me.

DenBronx
04-26-2009, 12:53 AM
He was great on the bench last year, he should be awesome.

clearly you dont know why he wasnt playing.

and he wasnt benched.

bcbronc
04-26-2009, 01:30 AM
no love for J'Vonne Parker? 6'4" 325lb ufa signed by McX. the five teams that let him go over the past five years are going to be kicking themselves in the nutz over him.

dogfish
04-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Clady is going to play both ways...

No seriously, I vote Scott from Clemson.

me too. . . now if only we'd kept our 3rd round picks instead of giving them both for a blocking TE, we'd actually have a shot at getting him. . . i was hoping he was going to be the pick there at the end of the 2nd, but it didn't quite work out that way. . . .

elsid13
04-26-2009, 07:44 AM
me too. . . now if only we'd kept our 3rd round picks instead of giving them both for a blocking TE, we'd actually have a shot at getting him. . . i was hoping he was going to be the pick there at the end of the 2nd, but it didn't quite work out that way. . . .

One of the most Al Davis draft like moves every by Denver. I am still in shock, and Pittsburgh FO must have laughed it ass off when the found out what Denver took.

BigDaddyBronco
04-26-2009, 07:46 AM

With our picks so far, it looks like that might be the case.

Fan in Exile
04-26-2009, 07:53 AM
So when does training camp start? I want to see these guys on the field.

Drill-N-Fill
04-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Who cares, I'm waiting for next years draft so we can pare up our (2) number 1's and get Bradford/Mccoy...oh wait :tsk:

Traveler
04-26-2009, 07:58 AM
no love for J'Vonne Parker? 6'4" 325lb ufa signed by McX. the five teams that let him go over the past five years are going to be kicking themselves in the nutz over him.

Ouch! I can actually feel the sarcasm through my monitor.

BigDaddyBronco
04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Who cares, I'm waiting for next years draft so we can pare up our (2) number 1's and get Bradford/Mccoy...oh wait :tsk:

Looks like Orton's the man.

Joel
04-26-2009, 09:15 AM
I think that McDaniels and Xanders are quite comfortable with our defensive line. While we see it as pure crap, they might see it as serviceable...or maybe even good.
This is a thought that disturbs me more than words can express....

They know what they're doing....i hope :eek:
This statement and the one preceding it are mutually exclusive.

As to who plays NT, well, I've been wondering that for several years now, and have yet to like any of the answers offered--or the dismal results they produced. I haven't checked Marcus Thomas' numbers since he was drafted, and didn't get many chances to see him in action last year, but everything I've ever heard has him as a multi-technique "finesse" tackle rather than a clogger, and the 305 weight he had coming into the draft is consistent with that.

I really have no idea who plays nose, but I followed the Oilers for enough years to know the idea of just putting up so many points it doesn't matter how awful your D is doesn't work. It'll get you to the playoffs, but then you face teams that know how to score lots of points, too--AND have a D worthy of the name. Remember that KC/Colts game a few years ago where there were no punts until the last play of the game? One of the many times the Colts plowed through all opposition with offense--until they met the Pats, who had offense AND defense. In fact, it went: Paste 41 points on a hapless Broncos team, squeak out a win in a puntless game with KC, then lose by 10 to the SB Champs.

I've been saying since the '05 playoffs we need at least 1, preferably two, quality NTs to stuff the run up the gut, and a versatile MLB to do it all on and QB the D. The stats each season have made that more and more glaringly obvious. I wanted to get Chris Hoke out of his job backing up Casey Hampton; imagine my disgust when the Bolts got him instead. How bad must it get before we do something about it...?

Understand, I'm looking forward to seeing Moreno. I liked Cutler, too. But the offense hasn't been the problem, and as offensively minded as I am I know that until we fix what IS the problem we're going nowhere. Free agency, trade, draft, divine intervention; I really don't care. I've waited four years for a NT and MLB (or two OLBs if we go 3-4) and I'm tired of waiting.