PDA

View Full Version : An Eventful Day One In Review.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2009, 09:50 PM
The Broncos started the day with the #12, #18 and #48 picks on Day One -- but ended up picking five players in hopes to bolster their offense, defense and special teams in 2009. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding some of the selections, so I have decided to go ahead and give my thoughts on the matter.

Knowshon Moreno, #12 - Absolutely fantastic pick. I didn't want Orakpo. I also didn't want to see the Broncos panic and reach for another player. I know a lot of people think that this is a wasted pick or a luxury pick, but I agree with McDaniels' statement that "When a back like him is available, you take him." Moreno is a superb runner and can catch the ball well. He should be a front contender for OROY honors. I think it is a great selection value wise and I do believe it fit a need. Moreno isn't a rental or a scrub. He is a long-term option for this team and can be a face to our offensive franchise.

Robert Ayers, #18 - Ayers is an extremely interesting prospect, but a quality one. He's a versatile player who will be able to play with his hand up or down. He has drawn some minor comparisons to Adalius Thomas and ultimately I think that is how he will be used. I certainly hope he isn't a one year wonder and do honestly believe his best football is in front of him. I feel much more comfortable with him at #18 than I would have at #12 or someone like Orakpo at #12.

Alphonso Smith, #37 - I absolutely love this pick. I do not mind giving up a future first-rounder because you just "never know" with the value and it is going to save us money in the long-term. He is an absolute ball-hawk and is solid in run support. He's smart and a team leader as well. For 5'9 -- he is extremely stout; had he been 5'11 or 6'0 -- he is easily a first-rounder. It sounds like McDaniels and the Broncos had an extremely high grade on him, first-round value. He can play special teams too as a gunner or returner. That's value. He can also start, but will more than likely be a nickel corner to begin with. Considering Goodman and Bailey's age, along with the lack of depth behind them (Paymah left, Williams still young and unproven) -- it's understandable that the Broncos went in a direction that can pay off immediately and long term.

Darcel McBath, #48 - This is another selection I'm excited about. He profiles as a free safety in the NFL. He has superior ball skills and plays with good instincts. He is also athletic. Yes, people can grade this pick down because of William Moore and others being available -- but does it not fill a need? How much can we expect out of Dawkins and the others in the long-term? McBath also plays special teams. He has the opportunity to learn from one of the best safeties that ever played and can get tips from defensive backs like Champ Bailey as well. I do not fault the Broncos for getting such a player.

Richard Quinn, #64 - At first this pick was not something that settled well with me given the other players on board, especially tight end -- but it does make sense. The tight ends in McDaniels' system primarily serve in a blocking role. Yes we have Graham, but we know that isn't Scheffler's forte. Who is to say Scheffler isn't going to be moved still? Would he even re-sign here in Denver after next season anyways? We didn't have a third tight end on the roster either. Yes, I would have prefered someone else, but Quinn is a great blocking tight end and has decent hands. According to McDaniels, he was excellent in the personal workout and can catch the ball well; but North Carolina didn't utilize him in that fashion.

Overall, I'd give the Broncos a solid B for Day One; with the only issue being the value given up -- and the Quinn selection having some ambiguity. All and all, I believe it was a solid first day. I know we all have our favorite prospects and stuff like that, but honestly -- how can you guys be that disappointed? Long-term RB we've been looking for. A solid option at OLB/DE (Joker) in our defense, along with two defensive backs who will make our secondary younger and a tight end who has the potential to replace Scheffler when he leaves. (He will.)

Not bad at all.

BroncoWave
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I hope you're right. Loved the Moreno pick, was fine with Ayers, but I hated the second round. Alphonso Smith better be a damn good player for what we gave up for him.

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
A very rose colored view of the draft. Hope your analysis proves to be right.

underrated29
04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
nice write up..

i will have to hold out until i see footage of our 2nd rd guys. But so far i am not very pleased with what we gave up.. We will see.

They must know something otherwise they wouldnt have traded like they did, but still--i dont know.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't like what we gave up either; the value was my only discrepancy. However Moreno, Ayers and Smith are all solid selections based on value as to where they were picked. PFW had Smith as an early second round seleciton, along with Moreno being a 1B guy and Ayers being on that 1B/C cusp. McBath was a fourth rounder for them, and surprisingly Quinn had 3A value, which means he was just a slight reach for us according to them.

Denver still has two fourths, a fifth, a sixth and two sevenths. I'm sure we can get a quality prospect or two there. All of our woes weren't going to get fixed in a year. I think this is a good start.

SmilinAssasSin27
The first 11 picks couldn't have gone any worse in my opinion. Even after TJax and Raji went, I was like "well...at least we may still have a shot at Crabtree or Maybin." whoops...

Then we got Moreno. At that point, I was kinda hioping for Jenkins, but even surprised myself when I smiled ear to ear when his name was called.

Then Ayers...I still don't know what prompted the rise, but I do like the kid. He is a good player. He didn't have Michael Johnson measureables or numbers, but where is Michael Johnson. Much like TJax, he fills a role. The reason I liked Sintim is beacuse we NEED a BIG SOLB. We now have that. Doesn't hurt that he's a Vol. Rocky Top Bitches!!!

Then the trade...this one upsets me. I love the Smith, but not the trade. At least it saves money so we aren't paying 4 #1s in 2 years. In the long run, maybe that will actually be a good thing.

McBath...not my first choice, but we are weak at Safety. Who am I to question the coach on WHICH Safety is best for a defense I've never even seen.

Quinn is a NE type TE who can catch (says the scouts) but will rarely be asked to. It takes all types folks. Everyone has a role. Steelers and Pats understand this and that is why they win. Not everyone has to be flashy and uber-athletic. But I do think giving up 2 #3s was probably unnecessary.

honz
Dream is a douche, but I respect his opinion.

Bill Devaroe
The Broncos started the day with the #12, #18 and #48 picks on Day One -- but ended up picking five players in hopes to bolster their offense, defense and special teams in 2009. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding some of the selections, so I have decided to go ahead and give my thoughts on the matter.

Knowshon Moreno, #12 - Absolutely fantastic pick. I didn't want Orakpo. I also didn't want to see the Broncos panic and reach for another player. I know a lot of people think that this is a wasted pick or a luxury pick, but I agree with McDaniels' statement that "When a back like him is available, you take him." Moreno is a superb runner and can catch the ball well. He should be a front contender for OROY honors. I think it is a great selection value wise and I do believe it fit a need. Moreno isn't a rental or a scrub. He is a long-term option for this team and can be a face to our offensive franchise.

Robert Ayers, #18 - Ayers is an extremely interesting prospect, but a quality one. He's a versatile player who will be able to play with his hand up or down. He has drawn some minor comparisons to Adalius Thomas and ultimately I think that is how he will be used. I certainly hope he isn't a one year wonder and do honestly believe his best football is in front of him. I feel much more comfortable with him at #18 than I would have at #12 or someone like Orakpo at #12.

Alphonso Smith, #37 - I absolutely love this pick. I do not mind giving up a future first-rounder because you just "never know" with the value and it is going to save us money in the long-term. He is an absolute ball-hawk and is solid in run support. He's smart and a team leader as well. For 5'9 -- he is extremely stout; had he been 5'11 or 6'0 -- he is easily a first-rounder. It sounds like McDaniels and the Broncos had an extremely high grade on him, first-round value. He can play special teams too as a gunner or returner. That's value. He can also start, but will more than likely be a nickel corner to begin with. Considering Goodman and Bailey's age, along with the lack of depth behind them (Paymah left, Williams still young and unproven) -- it's understandable that the Broncos went in a direction that can pay off immediately and long term.

Darcel McBath, #48 - This is another selection I'm excited about. He profiles as a free safety in the NFL. He has superior ball skills and plays with good instincts. He is also athletic. Yes, people can grade this pick down because of William Moore and others being available -- but does it not fill a need? How much can we expect out of Dawkins and the others in the long-term? McBath also plays special teams. He has the opportunity to learn from one of the best safeties that ever played and can get tips from defensive backs like Champ Bailey as well. I do not fault the Broncos for getting such a player.

Richard Quinn, #64 - At first this pick was not something that settled well with me given the other players on board, especially tight end -- but it does make sense. The tight ends in McDaniels' system primarily serve in a blocking role. Yes we have Graham, but we know that isn't Scheffler's forte. Who is to say Scheffler isn't going to be moved still? Would he even re-sign here in Denver after next season anyways? We didn't have a third tight end on the roster either. Yes, I would have prefered someone else, but Quinn is a great blocking tight end and has decent hands. According to McDaniels, he was excellent in the personal workout and can catch the ball well; but North Carolina didn't utilize him in that fashion.

Overall, I'd give the Broncos a solid B for Day One; with the only issue being the value given up -- and the Quinn selection having some ambiguity. All and all, I believe it was a solid first day. I know we all have our favorite prospects and stuff like that, but honestly -- how can you guys be that disappointed? Long-term RB we've been looking for. A solid option at OLB/DE (Joker) in our defense, along with two defensive backs who will make our secondary younger and a tight end who has the potential to replace Scheffler when he leaves. (He will.)

Not bad at all.

Love you Cicero but you are wrong. EPIC FAIL.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I am so sorry Bill.

ChampWJ
04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I was thrilled to get Knowshon. He is by far my favorite college player. His talent is amazing and the fans here will absolutely fall in love with him. However, none of the other picks thrilled me, and I'm really disappointed that we gave up both 3rd round picks for this Richard Quinn. Seems like an awful lot to play for someone that won't have much of a chance to make an impact. I like Alphonso Smith, but not for next years #1. I am a huge Georgia fan, so I watch a lot of SEC games and I don't remember Ayers being a factor in any game I watched, so I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Jarvis Moss.

ikillz0mbies
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Well stated Cicero. One of the more optimistic POV on this board, as opposed to the doomed failure of the Broncos POV.

I willl admit that I'm not really happy on what unraveled in the 2nd round. I really hoped that they would address the DLine, but they didn't. I graded this draft a C- but I will reserve judgment until I see what these players can do and help this team win.

With the drafting of Quinn, I really see Scheffler being shipped out before this season. Maybe he will even be shipped out tomorrow for a 3rd round pick or two.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Ayers and Moss are nowhere near the same type of player. Ayers is a strong type who plays tough on the opposite side of the LOS. He doesn't kill the QB, but disrupts a lot of plays. Moss was strictly a college pass rusher whose freakish measurements got him a look.

ChampWJ
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Ayers and Moss are nowhere near the same type of player. Ayers is a strong type who plays tough on the opposite side of the LOS. He doesn't kill the QB, but disrupts a lot of plays. Moss was strictly a college pass rusher whose freakish measurements got him a look.

I hope Ayers doesn't turn out to be Moss. I am sure you pay more attention to Tennessee football than I do, but I don't remember him being 1st round talent in the games I watched.

honz
04-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Dream is a douche, but I respect his opinion.

To expand now that my Jazz are toast, I also think that the picks are fine, but am simply puzzled as to why we moved up and what we used to move up.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I hope Ayers doesn't turn out to be Moss. I am sure you pay more attention to Tennessee football than I do, but I don't remember him being 1st round talent in the games I watched.

That's what is crazy out these drafts. Dude's like Maualuga dominate college, but then drop for whatever reason. Then you have a solid player like Ayers who rises as far as he did. I still think he's more stable than Moss. Moss was boom or bust. Ayers will find a spot at 1 of 3 places...OLB, DE or even DT on pass downs...much like what NYG likes to do.

ikillz0mbies
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
After watching highlights of Robert Ayers, I can safely say that he is better than Jarvis Moss. Ayers is much stronger than Moss and can stop the play. I read that Ayers may be asked to get his weight to 290 to play RDE, which would be very intriguing to follow. Ayers is a versatile player and can't wait to see what he can do.

hotcarl
04-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Um ...I don't want to rain on everyones parade but, WE DONT HAVE ANY D-LINEMEN

(again)

DenBronx
04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
if denver doesnt trade sheff then quinn makes zero sense.

and why pass on cook or engram?

hotcarl
04-25-2009, 10:30 PM

(again)

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:30 PM

(again)

Much like the LB spots, we do have people there, the fans just don't seem to like who we have. Crowder, Powell, Fields, Thomas, Reid etc are all big enough to fill roles in a 3-4. We'll still likely get another body (I want Potter from Nebraska or Gilbert from SJ State), but it's not like we have NOTHING.

ikillz0mbies
04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
That's right! Jarron Gilbert is still on the board! If drafting Richard Quinn leads to Scheffler being traded for a 3rd, I'm hoping the Broncos draft Gilbert. He is highly athletic and has more potential than Tyson Jackson (or so I've read).

ChampWJ
04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
if denver doesnt trade sheff then quinn makes zero sense.

and why pass on cook or engram?

I would have put money on Maualuga when we traded up to 37. Then we took Alphonso Smith and I didn't know what to think. The Broncos obviously had a plan and stuck to their board. They jumped up to get players they wanted and passed on some players who may turn out to be very good. I hope for success.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I would have put money on Maualuga when we traded up to 37. Then we took Alphonso Smith and I didn't know what to think. The Broncos obviously had a plan and stuck to their board. They jumped up to get players they wanted and passed on some players who may turn out to be very good. I hope for success.

I told my neaighbor that Maualuga had to be the pick when the trade was made.

MOtorboat
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I am going to kill myself...

shank
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I told my neaighbor that Maualuga had to be the pick when the trade was made.

i thought the same thing, which is why i was in the fetal position.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I am going to kill myself...

wanna talk about it?

MOtorboat
04-25-2009, 11:03 PM
wanna talk about it?

Nah, I prefer to go emo and cut myself alone. But thanks for asking.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM

I do what I can.

honz
04-25-2009, 11:09 PM

Ugh. You're another one of those emo Bears fans?

MOtorboat
04-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Ugh. You're another one of those emo Bears fans?

I'm legally changing my name to Jay Cutler.

Watchthemiddle
04-25-2009, 11:17 PM

(again)

Do you have inside information? Last I checked, we drafter Ayers today. Are they moving him to Gaurd?

Foochacho
04-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I like this draft so far McDaniels ain't ******* around. He knows what he wants and he's going to get it. If Smith and Mcbath are ball hawks than I am all for it. I want a team that can get turnovers and it is looking like this may be what we are going after.

I wonder if we would of took sintim or barwin at 48 if they fell? It was a shame that they both went off the board right before us.

We do have a lot of young talent on D from last year. And alot of the needs that people think we have may already be filled. It is a wait and see type of offseason and it definitely makes it interesting.

We already have a hard hitting smash mouth ILB in Spencer Larsen so why draft Rey? Dumervil may be a great wolb he has some great athleticism and knows how to get to the qb. I don't see why he can't drop into coverage. We have a ton of DE's to fight it out for a starting role. They may not be the greatest but it is unlikely that anyone we draft will make a huge impact at this position anyway. NT hasn't been addressed yet in the draft but it isn't like there was anyone we could of took. Brace? No thanks. He isn't our answer we can get a guy in the later rounds who will have the same impact. Powell, Fields and Thomas can fight it out for a starting spot. We don't have a stud here but we didn't have many options this year.

So far I am excited we are making these moves for a reason and we may have a young nasty turnover machine defense on our hands for years to come. And the Knowshon pick was amazing, when looking at the players on the board at 12 I was going to punch something if they let Knowshon go by while reaching for someone on defense.

G_Money
04-25-2009, 11:35 PM
I like this draft so far McDaniels ain't ******* around. He knows what he wants and he's going to get it. If Smith and Mcbath are ball hawks than I am all for it. I want a team that can get turnovers and it is looking like this may be what we are going after.

Smith and McBath are ball-hawkish in nature, but the odds of them starting are...slim. So we have ballhawks who are on the bench. That doesn't really help us win.

Should be between JMFW and Smith for the nickel. Both guys play the same way, so they should be on pretty even footing. The nickel's on the field more now that it used to be, so it's not as much of a nothing position. The more active the slot receiver is, the more the nickel gets to do.

But he still won't see as many balls thrown his way as Goodman will - unless he sucks, in which case they'll pick on him. ;)

~G

rcsodak
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Jarron Gilbert's pro day:

3/22/2009 - San Jose State Pro day: Cal Poly wideout Ramses Barden is getting most of the media attention due to another solid peformance, but the word among scouts is that Spartans' defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert was the most impressive player at the San Jose State-Cal Poly-etc. Pro Day that occurred Friday. Twenty seven teams were represented at the workout, including head coaches Rex Ryan of the New York Jets and John Fox of the Carolina Panthers. Gilbert was the most impressive of the bunch, turning in a 4.76 40-yard dash at 6-5, 284 pounds. He also improved upon his already impressive Combine performances in the broad jump (10'7"), vertical (37"), short shuttle (4.40) and 3-cone (7.59). Typically, the collegiate coaches or scouts will put the players through the workouts. This workout was different, however, as Ryan took over the DL drills and worked Gilbert especially hard. Gilbert would seem to be a perfect fit in the Jets' 3-4 scheme at defensive end. The Jets will have plenty of competition in landing Gilbert's services, however, as he's lined up several private workouts already, including: Detroit, Dallas, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Atlanta. - Rob Rang, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Jerron Gilbert's scouting report:
Scouting Report

GENERAL REPORT

GRADE: 6.28

Body Structure: Gilbert has a big build, solid midsection, wide waist and hips, broad shoulders, muscular calves and thick thighs. He does have good speed, but he needs to improve stamina to prevent running out of gas late in games. If he is to be utilized as a defensive end, he might be better served losing about 10 pounds, to generate better change-of-direction agility. If he is to perform as a full-time NFL defensive tackle, his frame will require additional bulk.

Athletic Ability: Gilbert has the balance and agility to shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield, showing good lateral pursuit ability. He is a strong wrap-up tackler who is still working on developing better hand usage, but he compensates with excellent playing strength. He is an athletic in-line pass rusher who plays a variety of positions. He will generally line up as a left defensive tackle, but has seen action at both end positions. He can stand up and come off the edge at times when asked to blitz. He has covered running backs to the second level, but lacks the foot speed to be effective in that area in the NFL. As a drop end, he shows good awareness. He can make plays working down the line, but lacks overall hand usage. GRADE: 7.2

Football Sense: Gilbert is a quick study, evident by his ability to play any position on the front wall. He has decent instincts, but needs to play with better consistency, as he will disappear for stretches. He appears to have the ability to read and react to the play in front of him. He shows strength in his anchor vs. double teams, but there are stretches in games where he's not seen or heard from. He picks things up quickly in practice and then performs them well in the game. GRADE: 6.1

Character: His coaches call him a good person with no off-field issues. He is a good team leader, vocal and always has a pleasant attitude. His father, Daren Gilbert, was a star player for Cal State Fullerton and offensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints (1985-88). GRADE: 6.3

Competitiveness: Gilbert does show good urgency closing when he locates the ball, but his motor runs hot and cold. Perhaps due to questionable stamina, he does disappear for stretches. When the light goes on, he can completely dominate a game, but he really never put it all together until the second half of his senior season. He needs to show more consistency, as he does get washed out when he leaves his chest exposed (usually happens when he tires late in games) and does tend to play at a high pad level, needing to do a better job of sinking his pads. GRADE: 6.0

Work Habits: Gilbert is compliant, listens well and takes to hard coaching. He was the defensive captain as a senior, but still needed to develop more maturity, both physically (stamina issues) and mentally (disappears for stretches). GRADE: 5.8

ATHLETIC REPORT

GRADE: 6.52

Explosion/Pursuit: Gilbert has adequate explosion off the line of scrimmage to cause trouble in the backfield, but can be inconsistent. He flashes good quickness working in-line and has enough strength to win the battle at the point of attack. Offensive tackles generally have their work cut out for them, as Gilbert can be explosive when he stays low in his pads. Late in games, he seems to have stamina issues. Even when he plays at full speed, he might lack the suddenness to play on the edge. He does a much better job of getting to the quarterback shooting the gaps than when having to loop around the corner. GRADE: 5.7

Strength at Point: At his primary position, defensive tackle, Gilbert might lack ideal bulk, but he has a developing frame to add the necessary pounds to play inside. He has long arms and the strength to control his side of the football, can hold ground at the point of attack and clog rush lanes, when he doesn't play high in his stance. He shows good ability to stymie double teams, with a strong base to anchor. When he gets too high in his stance, he will yield ground. He will generally play with leverage, but gets frustrated when his initial move fails. When he recovers off blocks, he can be very disruptive. GRADE: 7.5

Use of Hands: While Gilbert has good hand strength, he sometimes fails to recoil and reset quickly, causing him to get tied up too long. He is best when using his hands to contain rather than shed. He leaves himself exposed quite a bit, giving up body surface coming off the snap. His best hand move is his swim move to slip past blocks on the pass rush. He has also been quite successful using his wingspan to break up passes at the line of scrimmage. GRADE: 6.3

Lateral Pursuit/Effort: Gilbert has the ability to slide down the line and make plays at the point. He has the balance and change-of-direction agility to work back to cutback lanes, but is better playing between the tackles than trying to get out and make plays along the sideline. He shows good lateral movement down the line of scrimmage and is effective chasing from the back side. He was inconsistent for most of his career, but showed great improvement the second half of the 2008 season. His problem arises late in games when he has some letdown in effort. GRADE: 6.3

Tackling Ability: Gilbert is a strong tackler, delivers a solid jolt to blockers with his hand swipes and is an effective short-area hitter who delivers a punishing blow and shows power making the wrap-up tackle. When he hits a ballcarrier or quarterback, he does it with great impact. GRADE: 6.8

Run Defense: Gilbert needs to use his hand punch more often and must do a better job keeping his hands inside his frame. He has the upper-body strength to impact a ballcarrier with a good thud. He will drop his hands quite a bit, which lets blockers get into his chest. Pad level can be too high, but he generally uses his strength effectively to push blockers back through rush lanes. He has the short-area burst to string plays wide. When he maintains a good pad level, it makes it very difficult for defenders to move him off his anchor. On 41 running plays in his immediate area in 2008, he allowed only 39 yards and just four first downs. GRADE: 7.2

Pass Rush: Gilbert is not a consistent pass rusher, but during his senior year, he finally started using his hands better, developing better bull rush skills. Like Richard Seymour (New England) and John Henderson (Jacksonville), he might be better served as a tackle, as he does a good job of working an offensive guard's edge. He has that short burst needed to penetrate, but until the second half of the 2008 season, it was too inconsistent. The light might be finally coming on to stay. GRADE: 6.6

Closing on the QB: In the short area (shooting the gaps at tackle), Gilbert has a good burst to close and can accelerate in the backfield, but usually does this best vs. a stationary blocker. He does not have the suddenness or blazing speed to take a wide loop coming off the edge and still seal the deal on the QB, making him a better fit inside than at end. Where he excels is getting his big body in the passer's face and using his reach, wing span and leaping ability to deflect quite a few passes at the line of scrimmage. GRADE: 6.4

Instincts/Recognition: Gilbert is very athletic, using his size and speed to close down the back side with the strength to control. He is not the type that can explode off the edge and get into backfield to push the pocket as an end, but lining up inside, he plays with better leverage. He has the ability to locate the ball once he gets free from his initial blocker. He is better at the line of scrimmage than when on the move in attempts to locate the ball. He wins the initial battles, but sometimes will shut down when his first move fails. GRADE: 6.3

Compares To: TY WARREN, New England -- Gilbert is more of a 3-4 defensive end rather than an edge rusher in a 4-3 alignment. He seems comfortable shooting the gaps to get to the quarterback rather than trying to loop around the edge. If taken by a team operating from primarily a 4-3 base defense, he will be better off playing inside. He has a lot of potential and a rare-sized frame with an excellent wing span, but it took him more than three seasons to start to produce consistently. It could have been due to him settling in at defensive tackle in 2008. OVERALL GRADE: 6.52 Report by Dave-Te' Thomas

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Smith and McBath are ball-hawkish in nature, but the odds of them starting are...slim. So we have ballhawks who are on the bench. That doesn't really help us win.

~G

You know better than anyone that these dudes can surprise some haters and be very good pros while Aaron Curry and Mark Sanchez can be busts. It's way too early to make the determination that they can't be starters.

ktrain
04-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I hope you're right. Loved the Moreno pick, was fine with Ayers, but I hated the second round. Alphonso Smith better be a damn good player for what we gave up for him.

last year almost everyone hated our first and second round picks (especially the Royal in the #2) How did that work out for us?

Granted, different time with a different coaching staff, scouts and GM, but the point is you never really know until at least one season in and mostly likely 2-3

Lonestar
04-26-2009, 12:47 AM
The real issue is Josh and coaches got to see some of the players the other day in a mini camp and have a plan.. they know what they want and are going after what they feel they need..

None of the ANALysts really have a clue as to existing personnel and what the real plans/schemes are for this team..

I'm willing to give them a pass as they are a lot closer to the situation than we are.. and so far other than bringing in the new LS guy I really do not have a huge issue with what they have done so far..

While I do not have a clue to the second round choices today I suspect they are puzzle pieces that will fit together down the road.

BTW anyone realy expecting 4-6 SEPT starters out of this draft were fooling themselves..

Nice to dream about but not very liely..

dogfish
04-26-2009, 02:51 AM
You know better than anyone that these dudes can surprise some haters and be very good pros while Aaron Curry and Mark Sanchez can be busts. It's way too early to make the determination that they can't be starters.

not to speak for G, but i'm pretty sure he was referring to their chances of getting significant starting time this year when we just invested most of our resources in free agency on the secondary. . . .

xzn
04-26-2009, 03:16 AM
I have to think the staff feels that Alphonso Smith will at least compete to start over Goodman or they wouldn't have traded up as they did.

Quinn may not be a "starter" but if we are going to use two TEs often to pave the way for our new offensive franchise player he will get a ton of playing time.

Yeah, we gave up a lot to get each of those two players but there has to be a reason. Xanders and Mc Daniel are not stupid people as some posters would try to have it, there is a reason and we are not privvy to all the information regarding scheme and evaluation of current personel to be qualified to make an accurate assesment.

Just let it play out and hope that it works. There's no guarantee that it will. Lot's of coaches do fail. Josh might be one of them. But it won't be because he is dumb or isn't trying.

We haven't even started driving and people are asking, "Are we there yet?"

Give me a break!

Traveler
04-26-2009, 08:32 AM
I've said numerous times that I'll withhold judgement until after the season is completed. Can't speak for everyone, but it still seems like some folks are still accustomed to the way Shanahan ran the draft and chose players. Fourteen years of the same ol, same ol will do that.

As for the picks, I'm guessing that since the defensive players the FO may have originally targeted were off the board, Plan B was to draft the BPA that also filled a need. Did we possibly overspend in picks in the 2nd round? Yes, but at least they had the sack and were willing to acquire the players they thought fit the new system being put in place.

With the drafting in Moreno, many will question signing 3 RB's in FA (me included). As I look at this long term, is anyone really sold on Buckhalter or Jordan as long term back for the franchise? Didn't think so. Also, having an abundance of workmanlike backs makes for possible trade bait.

I expect that the interior of both lines will be addressed today. Folks shouldn't become so enamored/attached with so-called name players. Not all the 32 teams can be wrong when name players like Maualuga & Laurinaitis fall to the second round.

So, I suggest that we all just sit back, see who we get today, let them go through all the camps and the season before passing judgement on this draft.

claymore
04-26-2009, 08:36 AM
I myself would like to look at the interior of the offensive line. I would also like to know if there are any big strong project RT's out there. Im not sold on Harris, and if Simms starts (God help us) Harris is his blind side Tackle.

drewloc
04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
I myself would like to look at the interior of the offensive line. I would also like to know if there are any big strong project RT's out there. Im not sold on Harris, and if Simms starts (God help us) Harris is his blind side Tackle.

I agree, I hope we take care of the interior if nothing else for a bit of depth. There are also some project DL out there that could help us as well. Even a couple NT that could be good pros. It will be an interesting 2nd day, thats for sure. If we get someone like a Sammie Lee Hill, and a Jason Gilbert on day 2, I would be pretty ecstatic about the draft.

Tned
04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
With the drafting in Moreno, many will question signing 3 RB's in FA (me included). As I look at this long term, is anyone really sold on Buckhalter or Jordan as long term back for the franchise? Didn't think so. Also, having an abundance of workmanlike backs makes for possible trade bait.

I look at the drafting of Moreno and signing of three RB's this way. We signed the three RB's in FA, to take a shotgun approach to try and cover our only real weakness on offense (before Cutler was driven out of town).

Then, when we swapped Cutler for Orton, which is a major downgrade, the running game -- including pass protection from RB -- became a much higher priority. Combine Moreno being available with the best D-Line prospects being gone, and Orton the QB that really needs RB help, and hoping an RB committee of those FA's and Torrain was not worth the risk.

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
The real issue is Josh and coaches got to see some of the players the other day in a mini camp and have a plan.. they know what they want and are going after what they feel they need..

None of the ANALysts really have a clue as to existing personnel and what the real plans/schemes are for this team..

I'm willing to give them a pass as they are a lot closer to the situation than we are.. and so far other than bringing in the new LS guy I really do not have a huge issue with what they have done so far..

While I do not have a clue to the second round choices today I suspect they are puzzle pieces that will fit together down the road.

BTW anyone realy expecting 4-6 SEPT starters out of this draft were fooling themselves..

Nice to dream about but not very liely..

i agree with this assesment.. However, I do not like giving up a #1 for what is conisdered a reach.. and McD's explanation was just coach speak for "cuz we felt like it".