PDA

View Full Version : Day 1: Started promising but ended with very questionable picks

Northman
04-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Evidently McD hasnt learned quite enough from his mentor. Yes, im still giving the man a chance to prove me wrong but his second round blunder or reaches has me as im sure others scratching their head.

1) Moreno- I said it before this was the only guy on offense i would of been satisfied taking and since we did im glad he is a Bronco.

1b) Ayers- Not really who i would of preferred but considering he is a need position and a good prospect it was still a strong pick for us.

2) Smith- Yes, Smith was rated high and is/probably will be a good player. Yes, we could use another CB considering the loss of Bly. However, what happened to Williams? And why trade up to get a guy when better prospects like Sean Smith (who can play both CB/FS) were available later? Still a strong pick but was truly uneeded considering we still havent addressed the Dline enough.

2b) McBath- Sorry, guy might have some skills but is nowhere near the talent level as Smith, Johnson, or Hamlin. Serious reach here as yet another guy who could of been had later.

2c) Quinn- Ok, yea. I said we needed another TE but this wasnt what i had in mind. SERIOUS reach here and came with a cost of both our (from what i hear anyway) 3rd rounders. You pass up a beast in Nelson for this? A guy who has only caught 12 passes? Is McD not planning on throwing to any TE's while in Denver?

Again, im not melting down or calling for Doomsday. But, i really dont know what he is thinking here. Two of these picks could of been had later down the line and yet we gave up a lot to grab the last one. Either McD truly believes that our Dline/LB core is great or he has no clue what he is doing here. Lets continue to hope he is the genius he thinks he is.

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Very disappointed with the McBath and Quinn pick.

Other than that, I was pretty happy with the first three picks.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Hamlin sucks...McBath is a converted CB who can cover some ground. Not a terrible pick.

Overall I like the players...just not what we did to acquire them. I really think the trade for Quinn was unnecessary. I also have to wonder if Seattle woulda taken our 2 #3s if we woulda just offered those for Smith.

Northman
04-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Hamlin sucks...McBath is a converted CB who can cover some ground. Not a terrible pick.

Overall I like the players...just not what we did to acquire them. I really think the trade for Quinn was unnecessary. I also have to wonder if Seattle woulda taken our 2 #3s if we woulda just offered those for Smith.

Im not saying McBath sucks but he is nowwhere near the value at that point as you've pointed out. And i guess that is what really makes me confused with the selections in the 2nd. All of them could of been had somewhere down the line. The fact that NE got both Brace and Butler really bothers me. :lol:

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Im not saying McBath sucks but he is nowwhere near the value at that point as you've pointed out. And i guess that is what really makes me confused with the selections in the 2nd. All of them could of been had somewhere down the line. The fact that NE got both Brace and Butler really bothers me. :lol:

Alphonso Smith is a better Cornerback than Darius Butler.

He has unbelievable instincts and feel for the game. What he lacks physically, he more than makes up mentally.

I'm still pissed about drafting Quinn by giving up our two 3rd rounders :tsk:

Northman
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Alphonso Smith is a better Cornerback than Darius Butler.

I happen to disagree with you there and Butler was rated higher than Smith. Whether or not he turns out to be is a wait and see. But ive watched plenty of Wake Forest games and Smith isnt quite what he is cracked up to be. Throw in the fact that if our pass rush doesnt improve whatever skill he does have will be useless just like it has the last 5 years.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Brace was taken before we got a second rd choice and I'm cool not getting Butler cuz our coaches clearly preferred Smith. Who am I to say they are wrong...yet.

McBath may have been a reach, but if he is the guy ya want, ya gotta go get him. Not all 32 teams have the same rankings and they don't have to listen to Kiper. If Nolan likes McBath, than good for him to grab him when he did. You can't say he woulda lasted...as much as I coveted TJax, I NEVER thought he'd go at 3...and neither did anyone else.

ikillz0mbies
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
There has to be more than just the 2 third rounders for that second round pick. I find that hard to believe that is equal value.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm still pissed about drafting Quinn by giving up our two 3rd rounders :tsk:

You also have to consider that we only have so many roster spots. If that was the guy they wanted, then why not. Hopefull the LB and DL are more solid than we give em credit for.

BroncoJoe
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
You all need to remember both our offensive and defensive scheme is changing.

Can't judge the picks based on last years team.

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
You also have to consider that we only have so many roster spots. If that was the guy they wanted, then why not. Hopefull the LB and DL are more solid than we give em credit for.

We can only hope.

Nomad
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Come Sept, if we don't have a pass rush and stop the run then this draft is moot and I will declare McDaniels decisions wrong ones! I guess we'll see tomorrow if he addresses DL with what's left and whatever else. We'll see come Sept until then I won't lose sleep or stress over it!! Though it would have been easier with a solid NG already in place!!

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
You all need to remember both our offensive and defensive scheme is changing.

Can't judge the picks based on last years team.

I think we are judging the picks BECAUSE we are changing schemes. We didn't help our NEED for 34 players... especially our front 7

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Come Sept, if we don't have a pass rush and stop the run then this draft is moot and I will declare McDaniels decisions wrong ones! I guess we'll see tomorrow if he addresses DL with what's left and whatever else. We'll see come Sept until then I won't lose sleep or stress over it!! Though it would have been easier with a solid NG already in place!!

We're likely gonna have Ayers and Doom rushing the QB...I'm certain more pressure will be applied than in 2008.

Nomad
04-25-2009, 09:43 PM

True! I'm being open minded, but aren't they the same fellas from last year?

Nomad
04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
We're likely gonna have Ayers and Doom rushing the QB...I'm certain more pressure will be applied than in 2008.

Like I said Sept will tell all, not now!!

BroncoJoe
04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I think we are judging the picks BECAUSE we are changing schemes. We didn't help our NEED for 34 players... especially our front 7

How do you know that?

Tned
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Brace was taken before we got a second rd choice and I'm cool not getting Butler cuz our coaches clearly preferred Smith. Who am I to say they are wrong...yet.

McBath may have been a reach, but if he is the guy ya want, ya gotta go get him. Not all 32 teams have the same rankings and they don't have to listen to Kiper. If Nolan likes McBath, than good for him to grab him when he did. You can't say he woulda lasted...as much as I coveted TJax, I NEVER thought he'd go at 3...and neither did anyone else.

Actually, most of the talking heads for the last week or so have been saying Jackson would go in the top 5, most likely third.

Nomad
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
How do you know that?

True! I'm not watching them in practice and seeing their talents/strengths!!

Northman
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Brace was taken before we got a second rd choice

Only because we took a CB. I honestly thought the move up was to get Brace and believe that he should of been that pick. Again, if our Dline fails to initiate a pass rush guys like Smith will be worthless.

and I'm cool not getting Butler cuz our coaches clearly preferred Smith. Who am I to say they are wrong...yet.

Personal choice and thats fine. I think in terms of both of them you really cant lose but you have to have the beef up front to make them effective.

Only one problem Smilin. TJAX was projected as a 1st rounder alltogether. So him moving up a few spots is hardly surprising especially considering he is one if not the top ranked DE in the draft.

McBath however was projected as a 3rd-4th round guy. And he was barely even ranked in the top 10 if at all at his respective position. There is no way you can convince me that he wouldnt of lasted until our first 3rd round pick if they infact coveted him that much. I understand your point here and hope that they indeed become playmakers but considering what we gave up in the process befuddles me a bit.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Actually, most of the talking heads for the last week or so have been saying Jackson would go in the top 5, most likely third.

I heard some say it was possible but that KC REALLY wanted to move back to get him. regardless...the point is that dif teams view players differently. If ya like someone, ya can't assume he'll be there 32 picks later.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Only one problem Smilin. TJAX was projected as a 1st rounder alltogether. So him moving up a few spots is hardly surprising especially considering he is one if not the top ranked DE in the draft.

McBath however was projected as a 3rd-4th round guy. And he was barely even ranked in the top 10 if at all at his respective position. There is no way you can convince me that he wouldnt of lasted until our first 3rd round pick if they infact coveted him that much. I understand your point here and hope that they indeed become playmakers but considering what we gave up in the process befuddles me a bit.

Kiper said during the draft that he had no problem with the McBath pick cuz he had him early 3rd round. At that point, a reasonable reach/pick.

shank
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM

i didn't see anything with tjax at 3 until 3 days before the draft, and it caught fire as the popular opinion after 6 months of having curry at that pick. i didn't think it would ACTUALLY happen either.

Northman
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Im not buying that either. When Training Camp starts you can have as many players that you like or at least well above the 53 man roster and at least allow competition. And again, this guy was projected as a 5-6th round pick!! Thats just insane dude. You know i like you and your takes but i think your really reaching here in terms of defending these moves. Im fine with taking guys who we (as a team) think will benefit our club. But taking a guy who you can at the very least (if you want him bad enough) take in the 4th round and giving up 2 3rds to take him in the second is just not smart. But by all means, i hope he proves me wrong. Unfortuantely, i saw Shanny do some strange moves and absolutely bomb. It wasnt until he got the Goodmans in there that the picks became smarter.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Im not buying that either. When Training Camp starts you can have as many players that you like or at least well above the 53 man roster and at least allow competition. And again, this guy was projected as a 5-6th round pick!! Thats just insane dude. You know i like you and your takes but i think your really reaching here in terms of defending these moves. Im fine with taking guys who we (as a team) think will benefit our club. But taking a guy who you can at the very least (if you want him bad enough) take in the 4th round and giving up 2 3rds to take him in the second is just not smart. But by all means, i hope he proves me wrong. Unfortuantely, i saw Shanny do some strange moves and absolutely bomb. It wasnt until he got the Goodmans in there that the picks became smarter.

But Quinn is another dude that some had as a 3rd rounder. Look..I am hardly excited about the pick. I don't like that we traded potential bodies away for a blocker. But I also believe that not everyone on the team has to be exciting. There are roles that need filled. In this O, it seems that blocking TEs are the fit. Do I think this guy coulda been had in the third? Yes. Do I know this as fact? No. Obviously the dude who is creating the offense wanted him pretty badly. I will like this more if we trade Scheff to get back in to round 3, but for now I'll deal with it and believe that the coach who ran the offense that went 16-0 and made Matt Cassell of all people a multi-millionaire might just know who he needs to re-create that in Denver.

shank
04-25-2009, 11:12 PM
i was way more pissed when we traded up for jarvis moss. steaming.

right now, i'm actually kind of content.

Tned
04-25-2009, 11:13 PM
i didn't see anything with tjax at 3 until 3 days before the draft, and it caught fire as the popular opinion after 6 months of having curry at that pick. i didn't think it would ACTUALLY happen either.

Well, listening to NFL Radio, they have been talking for the last week or two about Jackson shooting up the boards, and the result being that people like Orakpo and possibly curry would be pushed out of the Top 5 or even Top 10.

I saw at least five mocks in the last week that had Jackson 3rd.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/Richard-Quinn.php

And also don't forget that we SUCK in the redzone. Wouldn't he help?

slim
04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Only because we took a CB. I honestly thought the move up was to get Brace and believe that he should of been that pick. Again, if our Dline fails to initiate a pass rush guys like Smith will be worthless.

When I got home and saw this I couldn't believe it.

I guess they don't think Brace can play.

Smith better be a freaking stud.

slim
04-25-2009, 11:15 PM

LOL...he has 12 career receptions?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:16 PM
LOL...he has 12 career receptions?

Sorry...I meant as far as run blocking is concerned.

Northman
04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
But Quinn is another dude that some had as a 3rd rounder. Look..I am hardly excited about the pick. I don't like that we traded potential bodies away for a blocker. But I also believe that not everyone on the team has to be exciting. There are roles that need filled. In this O, it seems that blocking TEs are the fit. Do I think this guy coulda been had in the third? Yes. Do I know this as fact? No. Obviously the dude who is creating the offense wanted him pretty badly. I will like this more if we trade Scheff to get back in to round 3, but for now I'll deal with it and believe that the coach who ran the offense that went 16-0 and made Matt Cassell of all people a multi-millionaire might just know who he needs to re-create that in Denver.

Again no disagreement on what needs we actually need. Im just more concerned about when they were taken. Im sure Quinn has his role on this team but seriously, he probably would have gone undrafted. I know im no scout but i can its also not that hard to figure out who wants who in the draft every year. Im just not going to be sold on the fact that so many teams would of been blowing off guys like Beckum, Coffman, Cook, or Nelson to draft Quinn. Its ok man, we just have to agree to disagree here. :D:beer:

Northman
04-25-2009, 11:19 PM

Again, not a question about help. Just a question about taking him so high and giving away a lot to get him.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Again, not a question about help. Just a question about taking him so high and giving away a lot to get him.

But the link says round 2 or 3 and the analysts didn't hate the pick there. I'm not so sure it was that big of a reach. Again...pissed we traded 2 picks, but...

atwater27
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Northman. Great thread. I didn't want a running back on the 1st day. But I do think Moreno was best player available.. I still think we should have traded up past Green Bay for Raji. And for all you that think that would have been stupid, let's talk about a certain trade for our "natural" first rounder next year. (Then sit down and close your mouth.)

I thought Malcolm Jenkins would have been worthy of a trade up from 18 if we really HAD to trade up for a corner/safety, of which he can play both. That would have made much more sense.

Ayers was a solid pick, and probably the right one at the spot.

My biggest problem with the next 2 picks are that the guys would have been there tens of picks later if not rounds later. Especially McBath. I don't mind if they wanted them so much, but at least try to trade down and get max value. They would have been there.
The other problem I have with drafting 2 defensive backs early, is that they ignored Everett Brown, Rey Rey and Brace in the process.

Hey McDaniels.... if we can't have a decent defense with Champ, the best corner in the league, what makes you think a couple of rookie reaches are going to do to it if you don't focus more on the front seven?

And the tight end..... Again, if they wanted him (Even though we have a great blocking tight end with underrated hands already), they could have had him a round later. WEAK!

The retarded trades just added to the jackassery of the second round.

1st round... B+, I think trading up for Raji would have been the best thing to do. But Moreno is special.

2nd round...F, Really don't think it could have gone any worse. Here is hoping we can land Michael Johnson tomorrow.

Northman
04-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok, unfortuantely i had to run out earlier so i was not able to stay by the forums and continue to chat on our picks for today. But, now that i have a chance to look over i can honestly say im not impressed.

4) Bruton- So, i guess McWeiss owed McD a favor here and took David Bruton. Meh, maybe he will make the practice squad and he went where he was projected so you get some depth. So, that means we will make a play for Sidbury with the next pick right McD?

4b) Olsen- Boy, Sean must of been more shocked than i was when he realized he had actually been drafted when he wasnt even listed among the top 41 OT's in the draft. Congrats to him. Cant wait to see how many Qb's he sacks this year.

5) McKinley- Ooooh, a 7th round guy that just had to be had. Last word on him he has some serious small hands so he ought to be a huge impact for us. But, word is he could be used for ST's but i guess taking a guy like Wallace who has far more speed and skill was out of the question when you got a this guy to nab up.

6) Brandstater- What do you know, McD takes a guy in the 6th who was projected to go well....in the 6th-7th. I guess the good news is that McD didnt take this guy in round one before someone else nabbed him up. Just look at his incredible scouting report:

Negatives:
Brandstater is very inconsistent in his athletic ability. At times he shows he has the ability to move around in the pocket and be agile. His style is more of a drop back passer and he does not display much change of direction ability and his feet sometimes look like they are in cement. Brandstater lacks a good amount of coordination; he looks very awkward and uncomfortable in the shotgun and his play action is very lazy and not convincing at all.

Brandstater consistently makes poor reads and it doesn't seem that he makes an effective pre-snap read. By watching Brandstater play it is fairly obvious that his mental preparation is not all there. I believe with more study in the film room Brandstater's instincts, reaction, and ability to read the defense will drastically improve.

Positives:
Brandstater has outstanding size for QB in the NFL. He has ideal height and weight. Brandstater has a strong arm that needs to be re-fined in the NFL. With good coaching Brandstater can improve his accuracy and mechanics which would compliment his strong arm immensely.

7) Schlueter- Another guy not slated to be drafted but its the 7th round so i wont harp on this pick too much.

Ill come back when the final pick is made and give my 2 cents on that.

Tned
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Ok, unfortuantely i had to run out earlier so i was not able to stay by the forums and continue to chat on our picks for today. But, now that i have a chance to look over i can honestly say im not impressed.

4) Bruton- So, i guess McWeiss owed McD a favor here and took David Bruton. Meh, maybe he will make the practice squad and he went where he was projected so you get some depth. So, that means we will make a play for Sidbury with the next pick right McD?

4b) Olsen- Boy, Sean must of been more shocked than i was when he realized he had actually been drafted when he wasnt even listed among the top 41 OT's in the draft. Congrats to him. Cant wait to see how many Qb's he sacks this year.

5) McKinley- Ooooh, a 7th round guy that just had to be had. Last word on him he has some serious small hands so he ought to be a huge impact for us. But, word is he could be used for ST's but i guess taking a guy like Wallace who has far more speed and skill was out of the question when you got a this guy to nab up.

6) Brandstater- What do you know, McD takes a guy in the 6th who was projected to go well....in the 6th-7th. I guess the good news is that McD didnt take this guy in round one before someone else nabbed him up. Just look at his incredible scouting report:

7) Schlueter- Another guy not slated to be drafted but its the 7th round so i wont harp on this pick too much.

Ill come back when the final pick is made and give my 2 cents on that.

You didn't mention that we had to give up a 5th next year for the QB pick.

Northman
04-26-2009, 05:29 PM
You didn't mention that we had to give up a 5th next year for the QB pick.

I didnt know, is that all we gave up for him? I could of sworn he was worth our other first.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Northman. Great thread. I didn't want a running back on the 1st day. But I do think Moreno was best player available.. I still think we should have traded up past Green Bay for Raji. And for all you that think that would have been stupid, let's talk about a certain trade for our "natural" first rounder next year. (Then sit down and close your mouth.)

I thought Malcolm Jenkins would have been worthy of a trade up from 18 if we really HAD to trade up for a corner/safety, of which he can play both. That would have made much more sense.

Ayers was a solid pick, and probably the right one at the spot.

My biggest problem with the next 2 picks are that the guys would have been there tens of picks later if not rounds later. Especially McBath. I don't mind if they wanted them so much, but at least try to trade down and get max value. They would have been there.
The other problem I have with drafting 2 defensive backs early, is that they ignored Everett Brown, Rey Rey and Brace in the process.

Hey McDaniels.... if we can't have a decent defense with Champ, the best corner in the league, what makes you think a couple of rookie reaches are going to do to it if you don't focus more on the front seven?

And the tight end..... Again, if they wanted him (Even though we have a great blocking tight end with underrated hands already), they could have had him a round later. WEAK!

The retarded trades just added to the jackassery of the second round.

1st round... B+, I think trading up for Raji would have been the best thing to do. But Moreno is special.

2nd round...F, Really don't think it could have gone any worse. Here is hoping we can land Michael Johnson tomorrow.

Dallas was taking McBath 3 spots later. Feel free to spout more unfounded opinions as fact.

atwater27
04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Dallas was taking McBath 3 spots later. Feel free to spout more unfounded opinions as fact.

OOOOOH! Dallas! An underachieving force in the last decade.
Feel free to form your own opinions once in awhile instead of hanging off McDaniels jock.

shank
04-26-2009, 05:44 PM
^seriously?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 05:46 PM
OOOOOH! Dallas! An underachieving force in the last decade.
Feel free to form your own opinions once in awhile instead of hanging off McDaniels jock.

Excellent rebuttal. Last I checked I refuted your allegation that he would be there long after we picked. Your return was a childish jab. Well played sir. Well played.

For the record, I never said I loved the pick or even McDaniels for that matter. However, ignorant folks like yourself who see the worst in everything annoy the shit out of me.

atwater27
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Excellent rebuttal. Last I checked I refuted your allegation that he would be there long after we picked. Your return was a childish jab. Well played sir. Well played.

For the record, I never said I loved the pick or even McDaniels for that matter. However, ignorant folks like yourself who see the worst in everything annoy the shit out of me.

I'll be the critic. You be the kissass.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I'll be the critic. You be the kissass.

sweet...what will clay be?

atwater27
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
gumby

Tned
04-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I didnt know, is that all we gave up for him? I could of sworn he was worth our other first.

:lol: Nope, the FO played hardball, they only gave up a 5th next year and 7th this year for the QB.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
i guess it's better than pokey