PDA

View Full Version : Grade The Draft

DenBronx
04-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Day 1 - C+

Round 1 : I think I was caught a little off guard but I know Moreno is going to be a damn good back. Ayers supposedly is "the best defensive player" in this years draft. However we passed on areas of need. B

Round 2 : We basically traded Cutler for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We reached on several players and passed on Brace, Maualuga who would have been value at 37 for a short 5'9 DB. We blew it on McBath who is a middle 3rd round prospect. David Bruton and William Moore are both better prospects. Trading up into the 2nd round again for TE Quinn was another blunder. I give this round a D-.

Pick Player Pos Ht Wt College

Round 1, Pick 12 (12) Knowshon Moreno RB 5'11" 217 Georgia
Pick Analysis:The Broncos eschew their defensive woes to pick the electrifying runner from Georgia. Moreno is a versatile back with outstanding quickness and elusiveness, and he gives the Broncos another weapon in the passing game with his exceptional hands and underrated route-running. With Josh McDaniels' preference for spread formations, Moreno could emerge as a playmaker in his first season.

Round 1, Pick 18 (18) (From Bears) Robert Ayers LB 6'3" 272 Tennessee
Pick Analysis:The former Vol is an athletic edge player with outstanding versatility. As a potential defensive end/outside linebacker, he's capable of stacking the run while also providing some pass-rushing skill off the edge. Though he has been pegged as a "one-year wonder," Ayers was playing the best football of his career at the end of his senior season, and he may continue his ascent as a rookie.

Round 2, Pick 5 (37) (From Seahawks) Alphonso Smith CB 5'9" 193 Wake Forest
Pick Analysis:The ultra-productive ballhawk gives the Broncos another cover corner with big-play ability. Though Smith lacks ideal size and speed, he has an outstanding feel for the game and is an ideal nickel corner in the Broncos' defense.

Round 2, Pick 16 (48) Darcel McBath CB 6'0" 198 Texas Tech
Pick Analysis:The former corner-turned-safety has outstanding range and instincts. Though he isn't polished in coverage, he gives the Broncos a safety capable of playing as their deep middle player. Along with their other additions on the day, the Broncos have added some youth and athleticism.

Round 2, Pick 32 (64) (From Steelers) Richard Quinn TE 6'4" 264 North Carolina
Pick Analysis:The Broncos bypass some intriguing tight end prospects to pick up Quinn. While he's regarded as one of the best in-line blockers at the position, Quinn tallied only 12 receptions in his career. With Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler on the roster, Quinn will spend his initial season serving as an extra tight end in the Broncos' jumbo sets.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 09:15 PM
F-.......

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Z+............

ikillz0mbies
04-25-2009, 09:18 PM
C-/D

The Broncos had a lot of picks in this draft.....but didn't use them wisely. I like Moreno......that's pretty much it. As for the players drafted in the 2nd round, I don't know too much about them to pass judgment.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 09:19 PM
This could be a repeat of the 1999 draft, where they had 5 picks in the first 161 and came away with Al Wilson.......

DenBronx
04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
This could be a repeat of the 1999 draft, where they had 5 picks in the first 161 and came away with Al Wilson.......

It's possible we only come away with Moreno. We havnt drafted a 1st round RB since 1985.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Smith is a player...I'm just not exactly pleased w/ HOW they acquired him.

Ayers is solid. Again, I never got the 1st round hype, but much like TJax, he fits a role and a need and should fill it well.

I LOVE Moreno...but we coulda had McCoy at 48 and used the #12 on Jenkins.

claymore
04-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I give it a B. We didnt reach for a defensive lineman. That was my greatest fear.

DenBronx
04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
I give it a B. We didnt reach for a defensive lineman. That was my greatest fear.

where in the hell have you been all day?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Ther are still names out there I'd like to see in Denver...Gilbert, Brinkley, Worrell Williams, AQ Shipley, Quan Cosby, Dorell Scott, etc. I'll give day 1 a B- as we got a playmaker at RB, a very good CB prospect and, although a boom or bust type in Ayers, a SOLB who clearly fits the mold.

Northman
04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Right now? Wow. I would say a C. And thats only because Moreno and Ayers were quality picks at the right spots.

Peerless
04-25-2009, 09:29 PM
This draft doesn't even deserve a grade.

Just a laugh with a brandy.

claymore
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
where in the hell have you been all day?
All I have is hope. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I really enjoyed this draft so far. Quinn is a little "meh" -- but I'm starting a thread right now with my overall thoughts.

McKeough
This draft doesn't even deserve a grade.

Just a laugh with a brandy.

Quoted for truth.

I've started on the jager already.

So bummed... :tsk:

DenBronx
Ther are still names out there I'd like to see in Denver...Gilbert, Brinkley, Worrell Williams, AQ Shipley, Quan Cosby, Dorell Scott, etc. I'll give day 1 a B- as we got a playmaker at RB, a very good CB prospect and, although a boom or bust type in Ayers, a SOLB who clearly fits the mold.

if we were going to trade up for a TE then why not Cook or Ingram?

BroncoJoe
Tbd.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:32 PM
if we were going to trade up for a TE then why not Cook or Ingram?

Blocking...we have Scheffler (for now) and Graham. It should also be noted that all the scouts loved Quinn's hands...he was just in a pretty basic odffense at UNC.

Ravage!!!
Smith is a player...I'm just not exactly pleased w/ HOW they acquired him.

Ayers is solid. Again, I never got the 1st round hype, but much like TJax, he fits a role and a need and should fill it well.

I LOVE Moreno...but we coulda had McCoy at 48 and used the #12 on Jenkins.

Exactly. I can't believe we no longer have 2 firsts next season so that we could get Smith. Not saying he's a bad player, just saying I don't know if he's worth a 1st round pick as high as the one we gave away. That could be a top 15 pick ..EASY.. next season.

I'm like you... can't help but be excited for Moreno...but Wells didn't go until 31, and McCoy was still there. If we were going to move up in the second, wouldn't it look a LOT better to walk away with Ayers and Brown? Moreno, Ayers, Brown.... that would have looked a LOT better. Then we could have used one of the thirds we had to move up and get Brace......

Just makes me ill......

D....

Watchthemiddle
Remains to be seen....will wait until the completion of day #2.

All I can say is, people need to see the big picture.

Magnificent Seven
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
If I were their new coach. I would draft

1st Rd 12-Rey Manualga

1st Rd 18- Josh Freeman

2nd Rd 37-Everette Brown

Bill Devaroe
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I cannot put this draft into words. If I were to put it into objects, I am most inclined to refer to it as human sh*t.

Josh Mc Daniels needs to be tar'd and feathered.

NameUsedBefore
04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
F

Moreno is the only player I like but even then I don't believe the Broncos need to be drafting backs in the first round. They need to be drafting backs who can stay healthy; you don't need a first rounder for that.

Not sold on Ayers.

#1-32 for #37 doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Short, slow corners have a tough time of it in the NFL.

Uh, a blocking tight-end (plus pick) for our thirds doesn't make any sense for a few reasons. One is the actual trade which I found unbalanced. Second, um, we have one of the best blocking tight-ends in the league. What gives? And if Sheffler leaves then that's an even bigger WTF situation considering there were a number of pass-catching TEs still on the board.

Most importantly, though, DT went totally ignored even though it's the biggest problem far and away.

DenBronx
Right now? Wow. I would say a C. And thats only because Moreno and Ayers were quality picks at the right spots.

Round 2 was disappointing.

We still have yet to address. DT, ILB, OLB and QB. Hopefully we find some Gems tomorrow but how many picks did we give up?

Watchthemiddle
Exactly. I can't believe we no longer have 2 firsts next season so that we could get Smith. Not saying he's a bad player, just saying I don't know if he's worth a 1st round pick as high as the one we gave away. That could be a top 15 pick ..EASY.. next season.

I'm like you... can't help but be excited for Moreno...but Wells didn't go until 31, and McCoy was still there. If we were going to move up in the second, wouldn't it look a LOT better to walk away with Ayers and Brown? Moreno, Ayers, Brown.... that would have looked a LOT better. Then we could have used one of the thirds we had to move up and get Brace......

Just makes me ill......

D....

McD gave reason in the press conference for why they gave up a 1st next year for Smith. He said based off of next years value, he has a first value. He might be a second this year, but that doesn't mean we would have found the same caliber player in the first next year.

Big picture people!!

getlynched47
If I were their new coach. I would draft

1st Rd 12-Rey Manualga

1st Rd 18- Josh Freeman

2nd Rd 37-Everette Brown

:lol: Maualuga sucks. I've been saying it all along and it was proven with him slipping into the 2nd round. He's a 2 down linebacker.

You effing kidding me? Josh Freeman?

This makes me feel so much better about McDaniels draft :coffee:

Dean
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
It's possible we only come away with Moreno. We havnt drafted a 1st round RB since 1985.

Now you have to ask yourself will Moreno be the cure for what has been wrong with the Broncos? Did we fix what was wrong or did we get a shiny ornament?

DenBronx
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
passing on orakpo at 12, maualuga at 37 and moore at 48 leaves you thinking WTF....:tsk:

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
F

Moreno is the only player I like but even then I don't believe the Broncos need to be drafting backs in the first round. They need to be drafting backs who can stay healthy; you don't need a first rounder for that.

Not sold on Ayers.

#1-32 for #37 doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Short, slow corners have a tough time of it in the NFL.
Uh, a blocking tight-end (plus pick) for our thirds doesn't make any sense for a few reasons. One is the actual trade which I found unbalanced. Second, um, we have one of the best blocking tight-ends in the league. What gives? And if Sheffler leaves then that's an even bigger WTF situation considering there were a number of pass-catching TEs still on the board.

Most importantly, though, DT went totally ignored even though it's the biggest problem far and away.

Tell that to Antoine Winfield :coffee:

What Alphonso Smith lacks physically, he more than makes up mentally. The dude is just a ball hawk who understands routes, jumps them, and adds value as a returner. He was a solid pick.

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
passing on orakpo at 12, maualuga at 37 and moore at 48 leaves you thinking WTF....:tsk:

Not for me.

Orakpo is a walking knee injury waiting to happen.

Maualuga is only a 2-down linebacker.

Moore, well I would've wanted him over McBath...

but we did pretty good besides the last 2 picks in the 2nd round.

DenBronx
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Now you have to ask yourself will Moreno be the cure for what has been wrong with the Broncos? Did we fix what was wrong or did we get a shiny ornament?

moreno isnt going to be our savior but i think he is a top 10 talent in this years draft and clearly the best rb.

Broncospsycho77
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
C- initially.

Moreno was a good pick. High ceiling, but like any running back, might have a volatile future. Really adds an element to our offense, which we needed bad. A-

Ayers... eh. He's about the average value with an average ceiling, but with a low floor. It's gonna take a year before we see him at his potential IMO. I don't think he's top 20 talent though. C+

And then there was that stupid trade. Didn't like it at all. We needed to take someone like Rey Rey or Brace, and we went with a corner. Smith is alright; he's a ballhawk with a good game mentality, but we reached for that, nor was it the largest need of the day. Bailey can do wonders with him though. C- for the player. F for giving up a first next year.

McBath is an okay pick. That's a high reward guy built to be the next Dawkins. B

Quinn the TE... huh. Not a need at all. Are we doing a lot of Jumbo this year? I doubt it. C- for the player. D- for what we need.

Answering our needs: No. We didn't. Front 7 was hardly addressed; McD must have a lot of faith in either the personnel we already have (doubtful that a bad 4-3 team can be good at the 3-4) or has some good players late up his sleeve. I doubt they prepped that much. We needed to address our defensive blunders, and instead, we come out with a Tight End and some interesting DBs. Ugh. D-

I have a bitter taste overall. I hope McD is a friggin' Einstein of personnel decisions. I really do.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Round 2 was disappointing.

We still have yet to address. DT, ILB, OLB and QB. Hopefully we find some Gems tomorrow but how many picks did we give up?

I'm not so sure we have to address LB. As much as we WANT it to be true, we have Wes and DJ who project inside or out as well as Andre Davis and Larsen inside. Boss, as much as I hate him, was admittedly solid in the 304 schemes. Then we have Ayers, Doom and Moss for the outside. We'll likely get 1 more LB, but we have a handful as it is.

I still think we trade Scheff for a 3rd and then we have 2 in round 4. It'll be ok.

Skinny
04-25-2009, 09:42 PM
C so far. Not too crazy about the last 2 picks.

claymore
04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
If Quinn and Smith start this year and do well, this draft turns into an A.

Tned
04-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Only time will tell for sure. I think Moreno will help us for a while, especially since we will run a lot of one back sets. I'm going to trust Mayock on Ayers, who he says will be the best defensive player from the draft in three years.

Smith might be a good player, but the price was too high. I think McClouth gives us safety depth, even though he does not look like a stuf safety. I don't get the Quinn pick, and think we gave up a little too much for him, but who knows.

I will give it a C- right now, docking one letter grade for giving up the first next year. I think that it will take a couple years to know the real grade, which could probably range from an B+ (we gave up that first) to an F.

Tned
04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
If Quinn and Smith start this year and do well, this draft turns into an A.

Because of giving up next years first and the tie to Cutler, I have trouble seeing it ever reach an A, but if Ayers, Quinn, Smith and McClouth all become above average starters, then maybe.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
McBath, not McClouth.

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:00 PM
McBath, not McClouth.

Exactly, enough said about that pick.

Simple Jaded
Because of giving up next years first and the tie to Cutler, I have trouble seeing it ever reach an A, but if Ayers, Quinn, Smith and McClouth all become above average starters, then maybe.

At least two of them have to be stars to even remotely lessen the blow of trading a Franchise QB.

This just wasn't going to happen from the beginning, before they traded the other No1 for a 2nd-3rd round talent, making the trade monumetally stupid.......

Requiem / The Dagda
It was a nice pick.

Chris90210
04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
-10/100

Naturally we gave Josh McDaniels 5 points for putting his name on the paper.

BroncoWave
04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Exactly, enough said about that pick.

So because you don't know his name it was a bad pick? :lol:

I don't think it was a great pick either but that is ridiculous logic to say a pick sucked.

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:03 PM
At least two of them have to be stars to even remotely lessen the blow of trading a Franchise QB.

This just wasn't going to happen from the beginning, before they traded the other No1 for a 2nd-3rd round talent, making the trade monumetally stupid.......

The other wild card is McD's system turning Orton into a Brady-like talent.

shank
04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
i give it a C. not a huge fan of the mcbath pick, i feel like he was a reach. the major thing that i feel hurts the grade is trading up for quinn. there's no way he wouldn't have been there at 79.

next year's first for alphonso isn't that big of a deal to me. pick-wise the value adds up and alphonso wasn't a reach at 37, so whatever. it sucks taht we'll be less flexible next year, but i don't take nearly as much issue with this trade as the trade up for quinn.

Tned
So because you don't know his name it was a bad pick? :lol:

I don't think it was a great pick either but that is ridiculous logic to say a pick sucked.

No, but because McD's picks and trades (after the first round) had the commentators laughing and to look at the 3rd and 4th rounds of their player cheat sheets to find the info on the Broncos picks.

56crash
F- they gave away our next years draft for nickle back a back up S and a back up TE

BroncoWave
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
No, but because McD's picks and trades (after the first round) had the commentators laughing and to look at the 3rd and 4th rounds of their player cheat sheets to find the info on the Broncos picks.

There is a reason they are commentators and not in NFL front offices. :coffee:

Nomad
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
We'll know after the season!:coffee:

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM

yeah.. being a front office shows the TRUE knowledge you have... ask Matt Millen. :coffee:

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Yep, that's true. And the next few years will show us whether or not McDaniels should be making personnel decisions, or joining them at the anchor desks.

His first few months have left a lot of ??? in that regard. Now, we need to see how his team does on the field.

BroncoWave
04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
yeah.. being a front office shows the TRUE knowledge you have... ask Matt Millen. :coffee:

And now he's a commentator as well.

56crash
04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I hope they trade champ tommarrow for a 7th rounder so the 0-16 supporters can drink the last drop of cheap cool aid.

BroncoWave
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Yep, that's true. And the next few years will show us whether or not McDaniels should be making personnel decisions, or joining them at the anchor desks.

His first few months have left a lot of ??? in that regard. Now, we need to see how his team does on the field.

Fair enough. He has definitely made himself quite a bed. Hope he enjoys sleeping in it! :D

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Again, these commentators (Lombardi or Casserly) have more experince in building a franchise than Doogie and Xanahan put together.......this argument still isn't what you apparently think it is.......

56crash
04-25-2009, 10:10 PM

what ? mister cross eyes who would watch that mess on TV

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
what ? mister cross eyes who would watch that mess on TV

im english bitte

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:21 PM
On the first trade:

Analysis: NFL Network analysts Charley Casserly, Mike Mayock and Michael Lombardi are in agreement on this trade: Smith is not worth next year's first round pick. They think the price is too high for a cornerback who is only 5-foot-9 with questionable speed. "It’s a little dangerous to trade away next year’s one," Lombardi said. "You’re taking a chance, especially on a corner, and a small corner at that. That bothers me." The Seahawks will receive the Broncos' natural pick in 2010 and not the one acquired from the Bears for Cutler.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Personally, I think the networks hire these commentators for a reason, they know what they're talking about.......a retired doctor doesn't all of a sudden become reduced to being an expert in Canasta and nothing else over night, same goes for these ex-NFL execs.

Say what you want about Matt Millen, but Doogie is quickly making him look like the ******* rockstar of GM's.......

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Second trade:

Analysis: The Broncos, with five picks and two trades, were one of the most active teams on Day 1. They ended it with this trade to the Steelers in which they picked Quinn, a blocking tight end. It could mean Denver is looking to shop Tony Scheffler, who was critical of the Jay Cutler trade. Even with two trades up, the Broncos still have six picks on Day 2.

G_Money
04-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Moreno - A. If healthy, he's a no-brainer as a tremendous asset in the run game - and the pass game for that matter. He can do everything you'd want a back to do, and reminds me of Thurman Thomas. That's a good thing. :D And we desperately NEEDED a juggernaut in the run game to take pressure off
of Orton. Now we should have one.

Ayers - C. Better than a reach on a one-dimensional pass-rusher like Moss. But still, he's a one-year wonder with motivational and coachability doubts who would have been better in a 4-3 IMO. Still, with some more weight and the right coaching and drive he could be good against the run and still penetrate against the pass, something even Tyson Jackson was unlikely to do.

Smith - B-. Don't have a problem with the player, just with drafting a nickel CB now vs. potentially the best CB in the draft next year with the pick we gave up. I like Smith - he's a fighter. Slower, smarter Darrent Williams, and with the same nose for the ball and big play ability. Learning under Champ will do him a world of good and he should be around the league for a lot of years, as a FS if he can't stop the taller, bigger wideouts in the pros, but still - around. Good player, but not worth a mid-first rounder IMO. And that's what we likely gave up for him.

McBath - C-. Here's where I start having HUGE issues. There were better safeties left. There were guys who don't pout when shit doesn't go their way left. McBath has talent and energy, and he can play FS, but he's a decent hitter/bad tackler who gives up giant plays because he's lazy in technique and execution or just wants to gamble. He has Lenny Walls's demeanor and Dre Bly's ability to make alternately great and terrible plays, IMO.

In the 3rd or 4th, I would have less of a problem with it - he's a good athlete, maybe he's teachable. Middle of the 2nd? Ouch, man! We needed a young safety and we got one, and McBath is not untalented, but I hope to God he can be taught, because what he is isn't starting material in the pros yet. McBath was drafted too high.

Quinn - D. Okay, now I just lost my damn mind. Blocking TE who CAN catch but DOESN'T catch for a team with a blocking TE who already does that and knows the system in Graham? What the hell? McDaniels is talking about two TE sets, and how his board was already thin and he didn't want to miss out on one of the only guys left on his board if there was a run in round 3 before we got up to pick.

If you only have 2 rounds worth of guys who are worth picking, then your scouts aren't doing their jobs right. I wouldn't have minded a pick like Quinn later. But picking up a Carswell/Mustard in the 2nd? Trading UP in the 2nd to take him? It's not like Orton won't be getting protection from our OL and we need to shore up the pass-blocking immediately, like the Lions are trying to do with Pettigrew.

The pick's a reach.

So was McBath.

For the 1st rounder next year, so was Smith. Edit: The Seahawks will receive the Broncos' natural pick in 2010 and not the one acquired from the Bears for Cutler. I assumed we were giving them the WORSE of the two. Looking at schedules, I'll be surprised if we wind up with a worse pick than the Bears, so we're losing our top draft pick. That's REALLY an ouch.

Reaching for players is rarely a good idea. I home McD is some kind of genius, and his players anchor our team for years to come.

But right now, the first round production for next season looks like "Offensive rookie of the year, backup DE who rarely if ever sees the field, nickel or dime CB, 4th safety, two-TE set blocker."

And we paid 3 firsts, a 2nd, and two 3rds to get em.

That hurts. Right now, looking at it, that hurts.

Maybe in 3 years they're "NFL rushing leader, quality starting DE, starting #1 CB, starting safety, starting TE."

But to me, it doesn't look it. Moreno should be golden, Smith can play and I think winds up as a #2 in this league, and the rest...journeymen, if that.

Still, that's not a bad first day by most standards. Just not the haul I was hoping for. Luckily for us, they get to prove me wrong on the field.

~G

Joel
04-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Even though we're supposedly going to a 3-4 look and will almost certainly need two very good ones (I don't expect anyone to play every down of a season at that position; too grueling.) I give up; I guess we're gonna stop the run by scoring three times on our first possession and "taking [your 2nd team RB here] out of the game." Though that hasn't worked in the last, say, four years....

Same goes for MLB; I've nothing against a good Sam, but still think anyone who can play Mike can play Sam. I've been out of the loop for a bit so don't know if there's any truth to the story about us going 3-4, really, but if we do, I hope this guy has the kind of "do everything" skills we'll need at OLB, because if he was a great coverage LB I'd expect him to have played at Will a lot more than Sam.

As for the picks we DID get, everything I hear about Moreno sounds good, and we don't really have a "do everything" back, which we really do need. I'm usually down on drafting RBs because few rookies have the blocking and receiving skills I want in a back, but they say Moreno does, and doesn't go down after contact, which indicates he can also provide the all important short yardage ability, so, fine by me. Beyond that, I'll wait to see what, if anything, our draftees produce, since I know nothing about the NCAA and can't speak to their native ability.

I hope they're all first ballot HoFers, but every fan hopes that of every draft pick.

claymore
04-25-2009, 10:28 PM

We had 2 picks in an uncapped year. Nobody knows if thats good or bad yet.

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:32 PM
We had 2 picks in an uncapped year. Nobody knows if thats good or bad yet.

True, but the NFLPA rep, who is a REALLY sharp guy, says they will get a deal in place, so presumably next season won't be uncapped.

NameUsedBefore
04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Uh, surely we didn't give up OUR first for Smith? I've heard both stories but I've gone with it being the Chicago pick because that's only slightly less retarded.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
So what did the Broncos give up for Alphonso Smith? G is now saying it's definitely Denver's own pick with no stipulations.......

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
So what did the Broncos give up for Alphonso Smith? G is now saying it's definitely Denver's own pick with no stipulations.......

NFL.com is referring to it as Denver's "Natural" pick.

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Per NFL Network:

The Seahawks will receive the Broncos' natural pick in 2010 and not the one acquired from the Bears for Cutler.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Un-fu(king-believable.......

Tned
04-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Un-fu(king-believable.......

If it's true, then if we wind up with a very possible 3-5 win season, it will be SOOO much more painful then just all those losses. The silver lining to a horrid season would be a high pick, likely top 5, but now that would be gone for a short, slow corner.

So, hopefully, somehow, we dominate next season against what some believe will be one of, if not the, toughest schedule in the NFL.

hamrob
04-25-2009, 10:42 PM
I thought that the 1st round was solid...although I would have taken Orakpo over Moreno at 12. But, I can't wait to see him playing for the Broncos! ( A- )

The 2nd round was both bizzar and somewhat of a failure. I would have been fine...if we would have traded a 3 to Seattle to move up to the start of the 2nd round...but not a 1st round pick in a superior draft. Then for it not to be for Rey-Rey. And finally, to take a TE who was projected as a 5th or higher pick....the kid said he was shocked that he was drafted in the 2nd. Enough Said. ( D- )

Overall Grade - ( C )

BroncoJoe
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Again, these commentators (Lombardi or Casserly) have more experince in building a franchise than Doogie and Xanahan put together.......this argument still isn't what you apparently think it is.......

And they're out of work because... ??

Benetto
04-25-2009, 10:44 PM
B-

A- if we didn't trade up a few times..Or took Everette/Rey.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
If it's true, then if we wind up with a very possible 3-5 win season, it will be SOOO much more painful then just all those losses. The silver lining to a horrid season would be a high pick, likely top 5, but now that would be gone for a short, slow corner.

So, hopefully, somehow, we dominate next season against what some believe will be one of, if not the, toughest schedule in the NFL.

A Top10 pick for Alphonso Smith? Even if he turns out to be Antoine Winfield, nobody in the league knew that going in, if so he'd never be there at 37. Awesome.

Just when I didn't think it could get any worse.......

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
But right now, the first round production for next season looks like "Offensive rookie of the year, backup DE who rarely if ever sees the field, nickel or dime CB, 4th safety, two-TE set blocker."

This just cracks me up..........

2Fity@The303
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Knowshon- Love the pick, my biggest fear was us not taking him @ 12, and some one moving up for him (namely Dolts). I think he has the ability to be a force for a long time...

Ayers- A guy I really did not know much about until a couple of months ago, after Tyson Jackson, no other player matched our need...(hand up/hand down) Some could argue he should of went to us @ 12....

Smith- Love the pick, all time career leader for int's in the ACC, All American, and endorsed by PrimeTime. He has the ability to immediately contribute, and the talent to be a long term answer once Champ's gone. The 1st given up was a little disturbing, but if the Broncos had him with 1st round grade-so be it. I think Chicago has a pretty good year anyway, so it will most likely be a late first.

McBath- When's the last time we had a true ball-hawking FS? I would of rather seen Rashad Johnson here, and was a little pissed at first-but the more I watch, the more I like....Definitely a reach, though imo....

Quinn- I have feeling McD and Co. had some insider info that Quinn would be gone by the time we picked in the 3rd. In fact I heard a rumor that Pitt actually had him ranked pretty high (rumor)....We could of pulled a fast one on them? Nonetheless, it's apparent that we are going to have a ball control offense, and possibly 2 TE sets. Graham/Quinn pairing with Clady/Harris, it's like four OT's. The more I read about him tells a story of pretty well rounded TE. Scouts came away "pleasantly" surprised with his hands. Scheffler's as good as gone, and we all know it. We're going to need the replacement anyways. The jury's out on this one, it maybe a small reach...

Day 1 Grade B-

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
And they're out of work because... ??

Because the GM jobs require a Masters in Stupidity?.......

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Because the GM jobs require a Masters in Stupidity?.......

ask Matt Millen

Watchthemiddle
04-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Knowshon- Love the pick, my biggest fear was us not taking him @ 12, and some one moving up for him (namely Dolts). I think he has the ability to be a force for a long time...

Ayers- A guy I really did not know much about until a couple of months ago, after Tyson Jackson, no other player matched our need...(hand up/hand down) Some could argue he should of went to us @ 12....

Smith- Love the pick, all time career leader for int's in the ACC, All American, and endorsed by PrimeTime. He has the ability to immediately contribute, and the talent to be a long term answer once Champ's gone. The 1st given up was a little disturbing, but if the Broncos had him with 1st round grade-so be it. I think Chicago has a pretty good year anyway, so it will most likely be a late first.

McBath- When's the last time we had a true ball-hawking FS? I would of rather seen Rashad Johnson here, and was a little pissed at first-but the more I watch, the more I like....Definitely a reach, though imo....

Quinn- I have feeling McD and Co. had some insider info that Quinn would be gone by the time we picked in the 3rd. In fact I heard a rumor that Pitt actually had him ranked pretty high (rumor)....We could of pulled a fast one on them? Nonetheless, it's apparent that we are going to have a ball control offense, and possibly 2 TE sets. Graham/Quinn pairing with Clady/Harris, it's like four OT's. The more I read about him tells a story of pretty well rounded TE. Scouts came away "pleasantly" surprised with his hands. Scheffler's as good as gone, and we all know it. We're going to need the replacement anyways. The jury's out on this one, it maybe a small reach...

Day 1 Grade B-

Now your someone who SEE's the big picture.

Good post!!

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 10:59 PM
ask Matt Millen

Even Matt Millen isn't this incompetent.......

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 11:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4100869

Without superstars at the top, the 2009 draft is going to be one in which the rich get richer.

Bill Belichick wheeled and dealed and strengthened his Patriots defense with good players such as Darius Butler and Ron Brace. The Eagles got a steal at wide receiver with Jeremy Maclin. The Vikings gambled but could hit the big time with the selection of wide receiver Percy Harvin. And the Seahawks, although not a powerhouse in 2008, improved with the additions of linebacker Aaron Curry and center Max Unger, both of whom should start.

Like 2005, there could be more Pro Bowlers taken after the top 10 than in the top 10. We'll see. Here are 10 other nuggets from Day 1:

1. Eric Mangini needed to draft Ohio State wide receiver Brian Robiskie to satisfy Browns fans. Browns fans love Buckeyes on their team, so Robiskie will be popular. But Mangini wore down Cleveland fans by trading down three times from the fifth pick in the first round and then drafting a center, Alex Mack. That isn't going to win over many fans in Cleveland. By the way, can Mangini get any more former Jets on his roster? If he brings in two more, he might have to change the uniforms to green. Good thing he didn't trade local hero Brady Quinn.

2. Packers general manager Ted Thompson loves to trade back, but on Saturday, he traded up from the second round into the first to take linebacker Clay Matthews. Packers fans should rejoice. The additions of B.J. Raji and Matthews will make the transition to a 3-4 defense smoother.

3. The ghosts of Mike Williams and other former Texas players had a major impact in the middle of the first round. Williams, the former No. 1 pick, was a huge bust in Buffalo. Despite that, the Bills spent $8 million a year for guard Derrick Dockery, another Texas product. He was released in the offseason. So the Bills decided not to take Texas linebacker Brian Orakpo at No. 11 because of the Texas Two-Step disaster. Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins said: "Come on down!" They drafted Orakpo and signed Dockery and Williams. The Redskins are hooked on the Longhorns.

4. When it comes to a big deal, you must hand it to Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum. He made one of the huge deals of the 2008 offseason by acquiring Brett Favre. On Saturday, the Jets beat out Redskins owner Dan Snyder for Mark Sanchez, and Tannenbaum was able to do it without giving up the Jets' first-round pick next year. That he was able to do so shows the value of having players on your roster who can appeal to another coach. The Jets acquired the fifth pick in the draft from Cleveland (and former Jets coach Eric Mangini) for their first-round pick, their second-round pick (No. 52) and defensive end Kenyon Coleman, safety Abram Elam and quarterback Brett Ratliff.

5. Denver rookie head coach Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team. He signed three running backs in free agency and drafted another (Knowshon Moreno). And then he sent Denver's first-round choice in 2010 to Seattle for this year's 37th overall choice, which he used to pick cornerback Alphonso Smith. That's bizarre. Mike Shanahan must be laughing at that one.

6. Colts GM Bill Polian isn't going to leave holes in his offense for Peyton Manning. The team would like to add size to its defensive line and could have done that with Evander Hood. Instead, Polian added talented Connecticut running back Donald Brown to the backfield. With Dominic Rhodes gone, Polian thought a one-two punch of Joseph Addai and Brown made sense.

7. Bengals owner Mike Brown would rather draft a top offensive lineman than a skill-position player. In 2002, Brown drafted left tackle Levi Brown instead of tight end Jeremy Shockey in the first round. So it shouldn't have been a surprise to see the Bengals take offensive tackle Andre Smith over wide receiver Michael Crabtree, despite Cincinnati's need at receiver after the loss of T.J. Houshmandzadeh in free agency.

8. New Jaguars general manager Gene Smith has brought stability to the team's draft room. Instead of taking gambles on high picks, Smith made safe, quality choices. Using the best-player-available philosophy, the Jaguars drafted tackles Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton, both of whom should stabilize the offensive line.

9. No player in the draft will have more pressure on him than Hakeem Nicks of the New York Giants. He's going to be asked to be the instant replacement for Plaxico Burress, who was counted on for five catches and about 80 yards a game, particularly in the first month of the season. Give Giants GM Jerry Reese credit for being patient and getting a receiver as talented as Nicks at the 29th pick. But the Giants' season could depend on how quickly Nicks develops a receiving relationship with Eli Manning. The Giants elected not to trade a No. 1 pick to get Braylon Edwards from Cleveland.

10. The best move for Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli was not trading defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey to Atlanta. Giving Dorsey and Tony Gonzalez to the Falcons might have made the Falcons the favorites for the Super Bowl. It was no surprise Pioli took a defensive end, Tyson Jackson, in the first round. Like New England, his former employer, Pioli wants to build a strong defensive line.

John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

2Fity@The303
04-25-2009, 11:34 PM

Day 1 Grade B-

Now that there has been confirmation on the Broncos trading their natural 1st round pick next year, going to make a grade adjustment. I STILL value Alphonso Smith, but the reality is we may have a tough year. New coach, system, QB, etc. Couple that with a monster schedule, there could easily be a top ten pick coming our way. Now that pick goes to Seattle....

Why not offer the Hawks the highest(late) pick? Why not put parameters on the trade? I don't get it. I'm dropping them down a little for the risk element...

Day 1 Grade C

Hawgdriver
04-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Grades on a draft this early are not predictive, so why bother?

If you take a stroll through past day-after draft grades you'll get some chuckles. Remember the consensus A+ given to the Cardinals for picking up Leinart and (passing on Cutler). Everyone praised the Lions for 'stealing' Mike Williams at the 10 spot. There are many examples of praise given far too early.

On the other hand, a lot of draftniks call 'em spot on. Miami taking Tedd Ginn at #9? Denver trading up to get Jarvis Moss when he would be available a few spots later? The list goes on...

It does seem apparent that the Broncos front office stretched to pick up their second rounders--McDaniels confessed as much. My thought is that their scouting resources were not up to the task of grading enough players with enough conviction to fill out their board well enough. You can't take the risk of letting a player fall to you if you don't have back-up options. It looks like they were running on fumes in terms of back-up options. I don't see that as a positive. I prefer they sacrifice draft pick value to get 'their guy' rather than let 'their guy' fall in the draft and get scooped up under their noses--you don't want to be sitting there with a bunch of fifth rounders when you are on the clock near the top of the third--but even better would be to have plenty of back-up options to not sacrifice those draft picks.

Best case is that they simply reached for solid picks in the second round--but no can argue that they macked the second round of this draft. The first round seemed reasonable.

McDaniels has a system. He's always talking about it. It does exist and we will get to see it. He's picking only those guys with the particular traits that can run 'his system' and work well in his organization. If these guys can start in his system, the draft is a success. If not, it's simply incompetent.

The ability to identify NFL talent consistently in the draft is rare. I have no reason to believe Xanders' talent evaluation team is better or worse than average in identifying NFL talent. I can only hope he is one of those rare folks with the Walsh-like knack for spotting real talent when other folks scratch their head and ask, 'wtf is he doing?'

I do have reason to believe he isn't a smooth operator on NFL draft day. I'm hopeful we have a competent talent evaluation group in the face of evidence that they are not competent at navigating the twists and turns of draft day itself.

sneakers
04-26-2009, 12:17 AM
eh, C-

dogfish
04-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Knowshon Moreno - A

He was the best player on the board in my opinion, a legitimate top fifteen value. He's a complete player that performed very well in college's toughest conference, he's a complete back with very little wear and tear, and an extremely solid charcter. Very competitive, hard worker. This is a plug and play selection, he'll provide more immediate impact than any other player on the board, and he fills a hole that's been open for the past five years. The type of player that can be a franchise building block for the better part of a decade.

Robert Ayers - A-

There's more risk with this pick, as Ayers is basically a one-year wonder who battled immaturity early in his career and is being projected to a new position in the pros, but he's still a solid value here compared to where he was projected to go. Not hyper productive in a less than ideal college situation, but scouts love what they see on film, and he reportedly dominated one-on-one matchups with some of the nation's top linemen in senior bowl drills. He also gave #6 overall pick Andre Smith problems when Tenneessee played Alabama. A tough, physical defender who brings great versatility, and was a team captain and vocal leader his senior year. Projects well in Mike Nolan's defense due to size and skillset.

Alphonso Smith - B+

We gave up too much, but that doesn't affect his grade. Smith was projected as a late first-early second guy, so the value is right in this spot. He's an accomplished corner that plays with swagger and aggression and makes big plays. Has elite ball skills. He'll always be a bit of a liability against bigger receivers due to his stature, but he has the confidence and short memory so necessary to cover guys. Should give us a dangerous nickel corner this year, and will hopefully develop into a solid number two that might slide inside to use his quickness covering the slot in nickel and dime packages. Can contribute right away on special teams. Solid pick despite some limitations due to size.

Darcell McBath - C-

Sorry, this guy was a serious reach. Doesn't mean that he can't become a quality player, but he was projected as a third or fourth round player, and we took him high in the second with several higher-rated safeties on the board. The scouting reports are all over the board with this guy, which suggests some inconsistency in his play. Some say that he's a tough tackler and willing in run support, others say he's a finesse player that doesn't like contact. Some say he's a natural in man coverage, others say he lacks the quickness to play that role in the pros. What we know for sure is that he's not better than average size with a lean frame, and although he's an experienced and instinctive centerfielder type, his 4.58 40 raises questions as to whether he'll have the range desired at the next level. On the positive side, he does have serious ball skills. He's a quality athlete with upside, but you have to wonder if he wouldn't have been available a full round later.

Richard Quinn - B-

Reportedly very good at what he does, but at this point in his development he's an almost entirely one-dimensional player. Has great natural size and power, and will be an asset in both pass protection and run blocking in two-TE formations. Reportedly has decent hands despite being underutilized as a receiver in college. That better be true, because when you spend a second round pick on a tight end, you expect to get a guy that can be either a quality, balanced starter or an absolutely dynamic receiving threat as a number two. Guys that can't do anything but block are role players that can be found well into the second day most years. Nonetheless, most draft resources had Quinn ranked right in this area, so the pick should be considered decent value even if it didn't address a particularly pressing need.

Overall Grade B

That's NOT taking into account the value we gave up, just a grade of the picks themselves. I thought the top two picks were excellent, but several somewhat questionable picks in the second lowers the overall grade from outstanding to merely satisfactory. There's nothing wrong with adding young talent to an aging secondary, but doing so at the cost of largely ignoring even more pressing needs in the front seven looks like a questionable decision. I could live with reaching a little bit for a couple of undersized ballhawks and adding a nasty blocking tight end, but overpaying to move up for guys that quite likely would have been available later while we sit on our hands and watch as potentially great system fit defenders like Ron Brace, Everette Brown, Clint Sintim and Connor Barwin are picked from right beneath our noses is a little hard to swallow. If you assign an "adjusted grade" that accounts for the value we gave up, I certainly don't think this draft rates a higher grade than a "C," maybe lower if the pick we sent to Seattle ends up being a really high one.

Positives: The failure to add an impact DL stings, but at least we did get some quality prospects. The thing I like best about this group is that aside from Ayers, every one of our picks is a solid character and experienced starter-- and even Ayers gets credit from Vols coaches and teammates for his work ethic and committment this season. These are all quality, proven football players coming out of college, none of the questionable characters or big-time injury risks that Shanahan was sooo found of taking. This group has solid upside, fills some long term holes, and offers some immediate help from our top selection.

Negatives: The failure to get a strong nosetackle prospect or pure edge rusher when we had the chance is the obvious first choice here, but for me overpaying to move up for guys when we didn't need to is the real complaint. Giving up a pick that could easily be in the top ten to get a number two corner that doesn't project as a special player is just plain assinine, and it really shows the combination of arrogance and inexperience of our front office. We gave up too much for what we got in return, and it's going to lessen our ability to fill the most pressing needs on Day Two. Also, trading away the potential ammo to make a move up for Bradford next year really ties us to Orton or Simms, in my opinion.

dogfish
04-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Grades on a draft this early are not predictive, so why bother?

killjoy hawg. . . . :coffee:

If you take a stroll through past day-after draft grades you'll get some chuckles. Remember the consensus A+ given to the Cardinals for picking up Leinart and (passing on Cutler). Everyone praised the Lions for 'stealing' Mike Williams at the 10 spot. There are many examples of praise given far too early.

On the other hand, a lot of draftniks call 'em spot on. Miami taking Tedd Ginn at #9? Denver trading up to get Jarvis Moss when he would be available a few spots later? The list goes on...

It does seem apparent that the Broncos front office stretched to pick up their second rounders--McDaniels confessed as much. My thought is that their scouting resources were not up to the task of grading enough players with enough conviction to fill out their board well enough. You can't take the risk of letting a player fall to you if you don't have back-up options. It looks like they were running on fumes in terms of back-up options. I don't see that as a positive. I prefer they sacrifice draft pick value to get 'their guy' rather than let 'their guy' fall in the draft and get scooped up under their noses--you don't want to be sitting there with a bunch of fifth rounders when you are on the clock near the top of the third--but even better would be to have plenty of back-up options to not sacrifice those draft picks.

gee. . . ya think that miiight have something to do with firing the heart of our personnel department a month before the draft, and elevating a bean counter to GM? FTR, i think your analysis here is spot-on. . . . and if it is, it's another circumstance where the rough edges of our rookie HC/GM combo may have been a real hindrance. . . .

Best case is that they simply reached for solid picks in the second round--but no can argue that they macked the second round of this draft. The first round seemed reasonable.

McDaniels has a system. He's always talking about it. It does exist and we will get to see it. He's picking only those guys with the particular traits that can run 'his system' and work well in his organization. If these guys can start in his system, the draft is a success. If not, it's simply incompetent.

fair and accurate, IMO. . . the new FO and HC deserve a chance to prove themselves, but they also deserve criticism for the way they handled the offseason if they can't justify their actions by winning on the field. . .

The ability to identify NFL talent consistently in the draft is rare. I have no reason to believe Xanders' talent evaluation team is better or worse than average in identifying NFL talent. I can only hope he is one of those rare folks with the Walsh-like knack for spotting real talent when other folks scratch their head and ask, 'wtf is he doing?'

I do have reason to believe he isn't a smooth operator on NFL draft day. I'm hopeful we have a competent talent evaluation group in the face of evidence that they are not competent at navigating the twists and turns of draft day itself.

yes-- very much so. . . .

Dreadnought
04-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Moreno - A. If healthy, he's a no-brainer as a tremendous asset in the run game - and the pass game for that matter. He can do everything you'd want a back to do, and reminds me of Thurman Thomas. That's a good thing. :D And we desperately NEEDED a juggernaut in the run game to take pressure off
of Orton. Now we should have one.

Ayers - C. Better than a reach on a one-dimensional pass-rusher like Moss. But still, he's a one-year wonder with motivational and coachability doubts who would have been better in a 4-3 IMO. Still, with some more weight and the right coaching and drive he could be good against the run and still penetrate against the pass, something even Tyson Jackson was unlikely to do.

Smith - B-. Don't have a problem with the player, just with drafting a nickel CB now vs. potentially the best CB in the draft next year with the pick we gave up. I like Smith - he's a fighter. Slower, smarter Darrent Williams, and with the same nose for the ball and big play ability. Learning under Champ will do him a world of good and he should be around the league for a lot of years, as a FS if he can't stop the taller, bigger wideouts in the pros, but still - around. Good player, but not worth a mid-first rounder IMO. And that's what we likely gave up for him.

McBath - C-. Here's where I start having HUGE issues. There were better safeties left. There were guys who don't pout when shit doesn't go their way left. McBath has talent and energy, and he can play FS, but he's a decent hitter/bad tackler who gives up giant plays because he's lazy in technique and execution or just wants to gamble. He has Lenny Walls's demeanor and Dre Bly's ability to make alternately great and terrible plays, IMO.

In the 3rd or 4th, I would have less of a problem with it - he's a good athlete, maybe he's teachable. Middle of the 2nd? Ouch, man! We needed a young safety and we got one, and McBath is not untalented, but I hope to God he can be taught, because what he is isn't starting material in the pros yet. McBath was drafted too high.

Quinn - D. Okay, now I just lost my damn mind. Blocking TE who CAN catch but DOESN'T catch for a team with a blocking TE who already does that and knows the system in Graham? What the hell? McDaniels is talking about two TE sets, and how his board was already thin and he didn't want to miss out on one of the only guys left on his board if there was a run in round 3 before we got up to pick.

If you only have 2 rounds worth of guys who are worth picking, then your scouts aren't doing their jobs right. I wouldn't have minded a pick like Quinn later. But picking up a Carswell/Mustard in the 2nd? Trading UP in the 2nd to take him? It's not like Orton won't be getting protection from our OL and we need to shore up the pass-blocking immediately, like the Lions are trying to do with Pettigrew.

The pick's a reach.

So was McBath.

For the 1st rounder next year, so was Smith. Edit: The Seahawks will receive the Broncos' natural pick in 2010 and not the one acquired from the Bears for Cutler. I assumed we were giving them the WORSE of the two. Looking at schedules, I'll be surprised if we wind up with a worse pick than the Bears, so we're losing our top draft pick. That's REALLY an ouch.

Reaching for players is rarely a good idea. I home McD is some kind of genius, and his players anchor our team for years to come.

Maybe in 3 years they're "NFL rushing leader, quality starting DE, starting #1 CB, starting safety, starting TE."

But to me, it doesn't look it. Moreno should be golden, Smith can play and I think winds up as a #2 in this league, and the rest...journeymen, if that.

Still, that's not a bad first day by most standards. Just not the haul I was hoping for. Luckily for us, they get to prove me wrong on the field.

~G

Given that I didn't want Moreno either, its then more like a catastrophe IMO. I may obviously be proven wrong, but this looks like a draft worthy of Matt Millen. And we mortgaged our future to try and scrape out a 4th or 5th win next year. Smells like desperation to me.

chazoe60
04-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I have to disagree with the OP on Mcbath. If we hadn't taken him Dallas was going to at 51 so he wasn't a reach. I honestly think that unless Jenkins plays FS, Mcbath is going to be the best FS to come out of this draft. I watched TT a lot last year and every time I came away more impressed by Mcbath's play.

Ayers is going to be pretty good IMO. He is versatile enough that I think he is going to help our tremendously since we don't even truly know what scheme we will run.

Moreno is a stud. He is the best RB in this draft by a long shot IMHO. A lot of people in the know had him rated in the top 5 of all players in this draft.

The Smith pick upset me at first, but after some investigation I am now okay with it. It seems that if not for his height he would have been a top ten pick(according to both Kiper and McShay). He is a ball hawk and we couldn't force turnovers last year if teams were handing us the ball.

The TE thing I don't really agree with because I hate what we gave up.

Drill-N-Fill
04-26-2009, 08:53 AM
B

Moreno A (Will be top 5 RB within 3 years).

Ayers B+ (Good against the run, and can pass rush. I actually liked him over Brown.)

Smith B (Love the pick, hate what we gave up for him)

McBath C (Higher rated Saftey were on the board, but maybe the scouts saw something we didn't on youtube).

Quinn D- (Could have had in the 5th easy).

broncofaninfla
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
D
We didn't address our biggest need, DL, and added yet another RB to an already full stable. The same powder puffs that played DL for us last year are back again this year when we blown off the line of scrimmage on every single play. We are about to face a BRUTAL schedule and we traded away our natural #1 which odds are will be a top 10 pick next year. What kind of incompetitence allows that? I'm trying my best to like McD and Xanders but these guys are clueless to what type of team they adopted and how to make it better.

Overtime
04-26-2009, 09:37 AM
F-A-I-L.

glad I didn't waste time to watch this garbage draft. my time was better spent at a mustang meet.

jrelway
04-26-2009, 09:40 AM
first round =B
second round = F-

2Fity@The303
04-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I have to disagree with the OP on Mcbath. If we hadn't taken him Dallas was going to at 51 so he wasn't a reach. I honestly think that unless Jenkins plays FS, Mcbath is going to be the best FS to come out of this draft. I watched TT a lot last year and every time I came away more impressed by Mcbath's play.

Ayers is going to be pretty good IMO. He is versatile enough that I think he is going to help our tremendously since we don't even truly know what scheme we will run.

Moreno is a stud. He is the best RB in this draft by a long shot IMHO. A lot of people in the know had him rated in the top 5 of all players in this draft.

The Smith pick upset me at first, but after some investigation I am now okay with it. It seems that if not for his height he would have been a top ten pick(according to both Kiper and McShay). He is a ball hawk and we couldn't force turnovers last year if teams were handing us the ball.

The TE thing I don't really agree with because I hate what we gave up.

Thanks for posting, I was going to mention this. Dallas was very high on McBath, and when we took him, Dallas subsequently traded out of the 2nd round....As I said before, I was upset we did not take Rashad Johnson, but he's still available now @ pick 80....Must be something going on with him.

RunYouOver
04-26-2009, 10:30 AM
The thing everyone forgets is that grading the draft right after it happens is one of the dumbest things you can do.

So you can look at it a ton of different ways. Let's say we trade Scheffler and Quinn comes in and does a solid job. Moreno plays like a first round RB (like I really think he will), and Robert Myers, like Mike Mayock believes, plays as the best defensive player in this draft (ALSO POSSIBLE). Alphonso Smith is a beast. If you're criticizing him, then clearly you haven't seen him play and are just unfamiliar with the name. Let's say he comes right in and starts at CB and plays decently in his rookie year. And that McBath becomes a decent player.

Then how many of you would still give the draft a terrible grade? While that view may be optimistic, I'm convinced Moreno and Smith will do well, Myers has the potential to do well, and if we trade Scheffler, then the Quinn pick makes sense. I don't know enough about McBath to say anything about him, so I won't comment on him.

All things considered though we gave Orton even MORE support than he probably needed, and didn't reach for ANYONE on defense.

I'm happy, I'll give it a B+ on the assumption that people like Mayock and our front office actually understands the game of football and the draft better than we do.

Northman
04-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Tand didn't reach for ANYONE on defense.

Disagree.

So you say its dumb to grade it right away but yet give it a B+. Makes perfect sense mate. :lol:

Requiem / The Dagda
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Nice tidbit on Dallas and McBath.

RunYouOver
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Disagree.

So you say its dumb to grade it right away but yet give it a B+. Makes perfect sense mate. :lol:

Only because that's what everyone does. I do think it's dumb, because the initial grade means nothing. That's my initial grade, but what's the point, really, if I'm just going to change that after practically each game this season.

And who do you think the reach was? McBath? That's the only one I'll agree with, although wasn't Dallas trying to get him, or was that someone else?

Either way, Myers wasn't a reach and Smith is a fantastic corner.

Northman
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Only because that's what everyone does. I do think it's dumb, because the initial grade means nothing. That's my initial grade, but what's the point, really, if I'm just going to change that after practically each game this season.

And who do you think the reach was? McBath? That's the only one I'll agree with, although wasn't Dallas trying to get him, or was that someone else?

Either way, Myers wasn't a reach and Smith is a fantastic corner.

Basically, here is my stance and you can agree or disagree and thats fine.

Smith to me is good, but not worlds above some of the other DB's ranked right up there with him. When we moved up i thought for sure we would grab Brace. Low and behold NE ended up getting both Brace and a DB who is (IMO) just as good as Smith and will succeed in NE because NE actually addressed their line in the same process.

McBath? Yes, again another guy with skills and yes, word is that Dallas had their eye on him. However, this is another position that i feel was extremely deep at that position and even if Dallas had taken him there was still Sean Smith and Rashad Johnson out there. To me, as with Smith there is no HUGE seperation at that position here.

And finally Quinn. Again, he will contribute and do what he does that isnt the question. But he was slotted as a 5-6th round guy who may or may not have been drafted. Some say that NFLN had him slated for the 3rd round but i call absolute BS on that and considering that so far in the 3rd the only TE taken has been the 2nd rated TE and i think that supports my arguement.

So while i dont hate these players i do hate where they were taken and what was given up to get them. Especially when there were other quality players at their respective positions who i think could of been just as good later in the draft. So we got some guys for the secondary. Great. But who is going to rush the passer to make them effective? Again, everyone is ASSUMING that Nolan will come in and all of a sudden have a top 10 defense. I dont see it. When Nolan arrived in Bmore he already had top tier defensive players to work with. The only ones he really has in Denver is Champ, DJ, and Dawkins. I just dont think the way we went about it in the 2nd round was very smart. This is the same kind of philosphy that Shanny did that got him into trouble because he continued to ignore the Dline when it came to quality picks.

RunYouOver
04-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Basically, here is my stance and you can agree or disagree and thats fine.

Smith to me is good, but not worlds above some of the other DB's ranked right up there with him. When we moved up i thought for sure we would grab Brace. Low and behold NE ended up getting both Brace and a DB who is (IMO) just as good as Smith and will succeed in NE because NE actually addressed their line in the same process.

McBath? Yes, again another guy with skills and yes, word is that Dallas had their eye on him. However, this is another position that i feel was extremely deep at that position and even if Dallas had taken him there was still Sean Smith and Rashad Johnson out there. To me, as with Smith there is no HUGE seperation at that position here.

And finally Quinn. Again, he will contribute and do what he does that isnt the question. But he was slotted as a 5-6th round guy who may or may not have been drafted. Some say that NFLN had him slated for the 3rd round but i call absolute BS on that and considering that so far in the 3rd the only TE taken has been the 2nd rated TE and i think that supports my arguement.

So while i dont hate these players i do hate where they were taken and what was given up to get them. Especially when there were other quality players at their respective positions who i think could of been just as good later in the draft. So we got some guys for the secondary. Great. But who is going to rush the passer to make them effective? Again, everyone is ASSUMING that Nolan will come in and all of a sudden have a top 10 defense. I dont see it. When Nolan arrived in Bmore he already had top tier defensive players to work with. The only ones he really has in Denver is Champ, DJ, and Dawkins. I just dont think the way we went about it in the 2nd round was very smart. This is the same kind of philosphy that Shanny did that got him into trouble because he continued to ignore the Dline when it came to quality picks.

You make a lot of great points North. Personally, I DO think that Smith is that much better than those around him, I watched a lot of him and although Curry clearly helped him out, I think he also helped Curry out a lot too. I think he's going to be a great pro, but time will tell.

Great point on McBath, I might've preferred Johnson to him anyway, but it is what it is. We definitely could've taken a better player there in OUR opinion, but maybe they think he IS that much better. Again, they are the ones who've put DAYS of research into this, not hours or minutes like us.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly on Quinn.

Again, if these players turn out to fit our system perfectly and work out, then they were the right picks...which is why grading the draft based off what we THINK should have happened is silly.

We'll see. :beer:

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
draft grades are gay.

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Did we seriously trade both of our third round picks for a 4th round pick and a blocking TE that will probably be 4th on the depth chart?

Peerless
04-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Did we seriously trade both of our third round picks for a 4th round pick and a blocking TE that will probably be 4th on the depth chart?

**** McDumbass.