PDA

View Full Version : What the press says about Broncos draft

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2009, 07:38 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12227389

Broncos take RB Moreno, DE Ayers

Some may not have believed Broncos coach Josh McDaniels when he hinted on Friday that his team had priority needs other than on defense with its two first-round draft picks.

McDaniels didn't waste any time, selecting Georgia tailback Knowshon Moreno at No. 12, but also attempted to fortify the defense by taking 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive end Robert Ayers of Tennessee with the No. 18 pick.

Moreno becomes the first running back taken by Denver in the first round since 1985, when Steve Sewell was picked at No. 26 out of Oklahoma.

Listed at 5-feet-10 1/2 and 217 pounds, the New Jersey native rushed for 1,400 yards in 2008 and 1,334 in 2007.

Although most mock drafts had the Broncos selecting a defensive player with their first pick, "I thought there was a slight chance (I might go to Denver)," Moreno said. "You never know what's going to happen."

Speaking to reporters via phone at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters, Moreno said he couldn't be more excited.

"When I got the phone call (from the Broncos), I was so happy," Moreno said. "I can't wait to get there. I'm looking forward to working with (Broncos running backs coach) Bobby Turner. He has coached some great running backs."

Moreno called himself "a hard-nosed runner who can make you miss at times. I'm a competitor."

Signing a contract and attending Broncos mini-camps is a priority, Moreno said.

"That's one of my goals," he said. "I want to be on time. I want to work. I want to be with my teammates."

Ayers was thought all along to be one of three Broncos targets on defense, along with LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson (No. 3, Kansas City) and Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji (No. 9, Green Bay).

The Broncos were looking for a stout, pass-rushing defensive end for their new 3-4 defense. Ayers recorded three sacks and 14 tackles for losses in 2008.

Ayers could play either 5-technique defensive end or pass-rush outside linebacker.

Ayers appeared in nine games as a redshirt freshman in 2005, but was suspended from the team after being charged with aggravated assault. Charges were later reduced to misdemeanor assault.

Ayers became a fulltime starter in 2008, and broke through for 49 tackles, 15.5 tackles for a loss and three sacks.

He was a first-team all-SEC selection by the league's coaches and second-Team by the Associated Press as a senior. Named the Senior Bowl's outstanding defensive player after making three tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Ayers is athletic and versatile. He could stand to add some upper body strength.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/nfl.denver.broncos.2.994567.html

DENVER (CBS4) ―

Like many Broncos fans, I simply don't get it.

Heading into the NFL Draft, I assumed that the Broncos would focus on improving their defensive front seven. The "D" has been their weak spot for the past three seasons, and it was the reason that Mike Shanahan got fired.

The Jay Cutler traded netted the Broncos two first round picks, so they really had an opportunity to use both of them to get impact players on their defensive front.

When Denver was on the clock to make it's selection at the 12th overall pick, most of us figured that Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo would be putting on a Broncos cap. He's a dominant player, one of the highest rated in the draft, and he would instantly make the Broncos defense better.

Instead, Josh McDaniels chose Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno and all most of us in Bronco Country could do is scratch our heads.

There's no question that Moreno is a good player, but do the Broncos need another running back—especially a running back at the 12th overall pick? During the off-season, they signed free agent running backs J.J. Arrington, Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan. Plus they have Selvin Young, Ryan Torrain and Peyton Hillis returning from the previous administration. So the running back position is covered.

So why in the world did the Broncos pass on a talent like Orakpo and take Moreno? The Redskins, who had the 13th selection, couldn't believe their good luck. After Denver took Moreno, Washington used only about 30 seconds of its allotted time to snatch up Orakpo.

At the 18TH pick the Broncos did select defensive end Robert Ayers out of Tennessee, so that was a relief, but it feels like a missed opportunity to not come out of the first rought with both Orakpo and Ayers.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12228144

Broncos draftee Robert Ayers told reporters not to be fooled by the fact he was a starter for only his senior season at Tennessee.

A 6-foot-3, 273-pound defensive end, Ayers led the Volunteers in sacks (four) in 2007 as a junior.

"I felt as a junior I was up with any defensive end in the country, I just didn't start," Ayers said.

As a senior, Ayers recorded three sacks and led the Southeastern Conference with 15 1/2 tackles for losses. He had six quarterback pressures.

Ayers said he talked to the Broncos earlier in the week.

"I was thinking that Denver needed defensive ends," Ayers said. "I was excited when they picked me. I think I fit in their scheme."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Ayers is quick enough and strong enough to play a variety of positions in a 3-4 defense, including defensive end and outside linebacker. Ayers said the team talked to him about being moved around in Denver's defensive system.

"I'm versatile enough that I could do multiple things," Ayers said. "I feel I'm ready to play wherever they ask me to play."

Ayers said he's thrilled Denver also chose Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno in the first round. Ayers said Moreno was the best tailback he faced.

"He's one of the hardest runners," Ayers said.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12228090

DENVER — Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he had targeted both Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno and Tennessee defensive end Robert Ayers at No. 12 and was thrilled to get both. He took Moreno at 12 and Ayers was taken with Denver's second pick of the first round, at No. 18.

McDaniels said the team decided to take Moreno first because the Broncos heard that at least one other team might nab the Georgia runner if they had waited.

Moreno became the first running back drafted.

"I think there was a lot of discussion (among other teams) about this player (Moreno) between Nos. 12 and 18," McDaniels said. "We felt the order (of taking Moreno and Ayers) might make a difference. The way it worked out, the way it fell, we're very pleased.

"Those are two players that we really valued. It fell perfectly for us."

Moreno — 5-10-1/2 and 217 pounds — redshirted at Georgia in 2006 then rushed for 2,734 yards in two seasons. He also proved to be a capable receiver, catching 53 passes as a Bulldog.

"He catches the ball extremely well," McDaniels said. "He has very good hands."

When analyzing draft-eligible running backs, McDaniels said a trait that's often overlooked is the ability to pass protect. Moreno is regarded as an excellent blocker, having been called upon to help protect quarterback Matthew Stafford, the overall No. 1 pick in the draft.

"That's something that doesn't get talked about," McDaniels said. "He can put his face right in the (pass rusher's) number. Most college runners have to work on that.

"(Moreno) is a player that we had ear-marked. (When he runs) very rarely do you see him take a big hit."

Recruited as a linebacker, Ayers — 6-3, 273 — only started one season at Tennessee. After redshirting in 2004, Ayers served as a backup defensive end for three years before earning second-team all-Southeastern Conference honors last fall.

In this case, the fact that Ayers appears to be a late-bloomer didn't bother McDaniels.

"You always take note of that, but he's so physical, so versatile," McDaniels said. "Robert was one of the best players we had on our draft board from the beginning.

"He played in a conference (SEC) where there were a lot of good offensive tackles he was lining up against. He did well."

Versatility is a desirable trait, especially in the 3-4 defense, McDaniels said. Ayers recorded three sacks and 15-1/2 tackles for losses in 2008. He also had six quarterback pressures and his only college interception.

"Robert is a guy who can stand up or put his hand on the ground," McDaniels said. "He can do a lot of things for us."

This marked the first time in franchise history that the Broncos had two first-round picks.

skycoyote
04-25-2009, 07:49 PM
So much for a smash mouth defense.

Greatspirits
04-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm sick about this draft, I was so stoked about today that I thought we'd get a haul of impact players. Trading next years no. 1 for Alphonso Smith? What the hell are they thinking over there? I've been a big supporter of McDaniels since day 1 but now I seriously think he's in way over his head and we're going to completely suck for a long time.

Peerless
04-25-2009, 07:54 PM
This draft sucks, along with this team.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=2486

Smith is just the third player this century to amass 20 or more interceptions in a career, joining Jim Leonhard of Wisconsin (21, 2001-04) and Mitch Meeuwsen of Oregon State (20, 2001-04), and only the second in Atlantic Coast Conference annals to reach that lofty mark (Dre' Bly of North Carolina had 20, 1996-98). Only nine other players in the history of college football (all levels) have produced more interceptions in a career than Smith.

What makes Smith even more valuable at his position is his ability to make big plays in the backfield. Few cornerbacks, much less ones that stand just 5-feet-9 can boast having nine sacks, 23.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and eight forced fumbles on those hits during a career. He also adds to his resume as a capable kickoff returner, averaging 20.7 yards for his career, along with using his superb leaping ability and timing to block five kicks during his time at Wake Forest.

Smith was a standout player at quarterback and defensive back during his days at Pahokee High School, where he was the runner-up for state Player of the Year honors as a senior. He helped the Blue Devils to a 13-1 record and the Class 2B state championship, earning MVP honors in the state title game, throwing a 58-yard touchdown strike to current Deacon teammate Demir Boldin in that contest.

As a quarterback, Smith threw for 2,400 yards and 32 touchdowns and also rushed for 640 yards and six scores in 2003. He was responsible for 38 touchdowns as a senior, including scores on interception, punt, kickoff and fumble returns. He added 27 tackles, a sack and four interceptions as a cornerback, earning first-team All-State honors. He also played in the Outback Bowl and the Palm Beach All-Star Game. In addition to football, he was a starter on the basketball team.

Smith came to Wake Forest with high school teammates D.J. Boldin and Antonio Wilson, spending the 2004 season performing on the scout team. He made an immediate impact during 2005 spring camp, emerging as the team's starting left cornerback. He would earn consensus Freshman All-American and All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors that season. He placed fourth on the team with 60 tackles (52 solos), adding two sacks and eight stops for loss, along with a forced fumble. He picked off three passes, deflected nine throws and blocked a pair of kicks.

Smith started the first three games at left cornerback before coming off the bench for the rest of the 2006 campaign. He posted 48 tackles (37 solos) and led the ACC cornerbacks with four sacks and 8.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He batted down eight passes and had another three interceptions. He also returned a blocked punt for a touchdown.

In 2007, Smith garnered national recognition with his first All-American award. The All-ACC first-team pick ranked tied for second in the nation with eight interceptions, as he returned three of them for touchdowns, one shy of the NCAA single-season record. He added 44 tackles with three sacks and led the conference with four forced fumbles. He also had 10 pass deflections and blocked a kick for the third consecutive season.

In his own version of the game show, "Can You Top This," Smith did so as a senior. The consensus All-American tied for third in the nation with seven interceptions in 2008, adding a team-high thirteen pass deflections. He averaged 22.0 yards as a kickoff returner, blocked a kick and caused two fumbles. He was credited with 37 tackles (28 solos) while starting all 13 games while shuttling between free safety and left cornerback.

High School

Attended Pahokee (Fla.) High School, playing football for head coach Leroy Foster... Standout at quarterback and defensive back...Runner-up for state Player of the Year honors as a senior...Helped the Blue Devils to a 13-1 record and the Class 2B state championship, earning MVP honors in the state title game, throwing a 58-yard touchdown strike to Deacon teammate Demir Boldin in that contest...As a quarterback, Smith threw for 2,400 yards and 32 touchdowns and also rushed for 640 yards and six scores in 2003...Responsible for 38 touchdowns as a senior, including scores on interception, punt, kickoff and fumble returns...Added 27 tackles, a sack and four interceptions as a cornerback, earning first-team All-State honors. He also played in the Outback Bowl and the Palm Beach All-Star Game...In addition to football, he was a starter on the basketball team.

LRtagger
04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
well the good news is we are having a better draft than the Raiders :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=2487

It's easy to understand how a defensive player can fly under the radar when he plays for a team with one of the most prolific offenses in the nation.

That didn't stop Darcel McBath from being one of the best playmakers in the Big 12. Having to practice against a top offense -- namely sophomore WR Michael Crabtree -- is sure to help any defensive back hone their coverage skills. McBath, a former cornerback, was the Red Raiders' secondary anchor at the demanding free safety position since shifting there as a sophomore, going on to start his final 39 games.

The opposition, often playing from behind and passing on most every day, challenged the middle of Tech's defense last season. McBath more than stood up to the challenge, pulling in seven interceptions that included a school season-record tying two returns for touchdowns. Six of his seven pass deflections came on third-down plays.

At Gainesville High School, McBath was rated the 36th-best cornerback in the country by Rivals100.com. He was named District 9-3A Most Valuable Player by the Dallas Morning News, as he helped lead GHS to a 16-0 mark and Class 3A Division I title as a senior. That year, he picked off six passes, returning one for a score as a defensive back and logged 75 tackles (50 solo). He also caught 14 touchdown passes as a wide receiver and had two punt returns for touchdowns. As a junior, he totaled 50 tackles and rushed for 800 yards as a running back.

McBath enrolled at Texas Tech in 2004, turning down scholarship offers from Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Notre Dame, but spent that season on the scout team. His college career would be delayed further, as he suffered a broken arm in 2006 fall camp and did not get on the field until the final six games. Seeing action mostly on special teams, his only tackle came vs. Oklahoma State while being listed second on the depth chart at left cornerback.

During his rehabilitation, McBath bulked up to the point that the coaches felt his speed and hitting ability would be best at free safety in 2006. The move was a total success, as he earned All-Big Twelve Conference second-team honors, ranking third on the team and 11th among the league's defensive backs with 75 tackles (35 solo). He also picked off three passes and deflected five other throws.

The 2007 campaign saw McBath firmly entrenched at free safety, as he received All-Big Twelve Conference honorable mention, as he led the team with eight pass deflections. He ranked third on the squad with 73 tackles (48 solo), causing one fumble while returning a fumble recovery 16 yards for his first career touchdown in the Iowa State. He also had a pair of interceptions for a defense that ranked 32nd in the nation during his sophomore year and 12th in 2007.

McBath received All-American and All-Big Twelve Conference first-team accolades in 2008. He registered 75 tackles (55 solo), good for second on the team. He caused a fumble and broke up seven passes. He also led the conference and tied for third in the NCAA with seven interceptions, tying a school season-record with two returns for touchdowns.

High School

Attended Gainesville (Tex.) High School...Rated the 36th-best cornerback in the country by Rivals100.com...Named District 9-3A Most Valuable Player by the Dallas Morning News, as he helped lead GHS to a 16-0 mark and Class 3A Division I title as a senior...That year, he picked off six passes, returning one for a score as a defensive back and logged 75 tackles (50 solos)...Also caught 14 touchdown passes as a wide receiver and had two punt returns for touchdowns...As a junior, he totaled 50 tackles and rushed for 800 yards as a running back.

anton...
04-25-2009, 08:37 PM
This draft sucks, along with this team.

get a new one??

:confused:

dogfish
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
well the good news is we are having a better draft than the Raiders :lol:

yea, but that's kinda like beating up a six-year old. . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Until these guys actually play, no one has any clue in regards to what kind of draft this was

spikerman
04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
well the good news is we are having a better draft than the Raiders :lol:barely :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12229183

The Broncos pull a big surprise by selecting Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno 12th, then bolster their defense.

As so many people projected, the Broncos used both of their first-round draft picks to fix their defense.

Their first pick was used to keep the ball away from the defense. So long as Knowshon Moreno, selected by the Broncos with the No. 12 pick in the NFL draft, is carrying the ball, the other team can't score on Denver's defense.

Their second pick was used to take a defensive player who can both stop the run and rush the passer.

If Robert Ayers is as versatile as the Broncos believe, the defensive end/outside linebacker will become one of the most important additions to the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment.

When Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders were done shuffling through the draft board Saturday, the Broncos had acquired a franchise-record five players through the second round, two more than their previous two-round total.

The cache of rookies includes what the Broncos believe were three first-round-quality picks; a second-round safety in Darcel McBath; and second-round tight end in Richard Quinn.

The third first-round pick? It actually came in the second round. The Broncos thought so highly of Alphonso Smith, they traded their first-round pick in 2010 to Seattle for the right to nab the cornerback/returner from Wake Forest in the second round with the No. 37 pick.

"If you feel like he's really worthy of a selection that maybe you would have made sometime in the first round this year, then I think you stick to your evaluation of the player," McDaniels said. "We don't care what anybody else rated that player as, or valued that player as. The only thing that mattered to us was how we saw him."

It can be argued no team created more drama in Day 1 of the draft.

In a matter of hours, the Broncos spooked two teams into trading ahead of them for quarterbacks, stunned not only their beloved followers but the indifferent nation by taking the best-rated running back with their first selection, sent another shock wave through the early part of the second round by trading a first-round pick for a second, and added considerable talent on both sides of the ball and special teams.

The Broncos also raised one repeated question throughout the day: What the . . . ?

During free agency, the two positions the Broncos addressed most were running back and defensive back, with three each. Naturally, the Broncos used three of their top four draft picks on a running back and two defensive backs.

Here's how the day played out: The Broncos entered the day hoping to take either nose tackle B.J. Raji or defensive end Tyson Jackson with their No. 12 pick. They were hoping to get Ayers with their No. 18 pick.

When Jackson went to Kansas City at No. 3 and Raji to Green Bay at No. 9, the war room at Dove Valley huddled.

"When the draft started to kind of unfold the way it did in the first 10, the two players that we ended up drafting were the two players we really wanted from the 10th or 11th pick on," McDaniels said.

The Broncos could have taken Ayers or another coveted defensive end/outside linebacker, Brian Orakpo, at No. 12 and hoped Moreno would have been around at No. 18. But the Broncos went with who they thought was the best player.

"Every time we played against him, we always said he's the best back in the country by far," said Ayers, whose Tennessee Volunteers played in the same Southeastern Conference as Moreno's Georgia Bulldogs.

McDaniels said he was receiving information that teams picking between his No. 12 and No. 18 picks were considering Moreno.

"The way that it fell it just made all the sense in the world for us to go ahead and take him at 12 and not deal with: 'Well, we'll hold our breath or try to move up from 18 into the middle, between 12 and 18, to get him,' " McDaniels said.

At least two other teams thought the Broncos had other ideas. The New York Jets were worried enough about the Broncos' interest in quarterback Mark Sanchez that they jumped from No. 17 to Cleveland's spot at No. 5. Later, No. 19 Tampa Bay leapfrogged to swap with Cleveland at No. 17 to take quarterback Josh Freeman.

Truth is, the Broncos were never going to draft Freeman, and they decided in the hours leading up to the draft that Sanchez was too expensive.

"If that's what they were concerned about, then that's for them to decide," McDaniels said. "I'm certain that may have played a part in it."

The Broncos didn't get a nose tackle and they melded their need for a pass- rushing outside linebacker and five-technique defensive end into the hybrid that is Ayers.

Why?

The Broncos had identified only five or six defensive linemen they believed were starter- ready for their 3-4 system.

"When the board gets picked clean, you don't start reaching for players in the first round or second round that you don't feel equals the value you're taking the selection at," McDaniels said. "We tried to pick players that were for equal value for where we were taking the player, and we did well for that."

Northman
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/nfl.denver.broncos.2.994567.html

DENVER (CBS4) ―

Like many Broncos fans, I simply don't get it.

Heading into the NFL Draft, I assumed that the Broncos would focus on improving their defensive front seven. The "D" has been their weak spot for the past three seasons, and it was the reason that Mike Shanahan got fired.

The Jay Cutler traded netted the Broncos two first round picks, so they really had an opportunity to use both of them to get impact players on their defensive front.

When Denver was on the clock to make it's selection at the 12th overall pick, most of us figured that Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo would be putting on a Broncos cap. He's a dominant player, one of the highest rated in the draft, and he would instantly make the Broncos defense better.

Instead, Josh McDaniels chose Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno and all most of us in Bronco Country could do is scratch our heads.

There's no question that Moreno is a good player, but do the Broncos need another running back—especially a running back at the 12th overall pick? During the off-season, they signed free agent running backs J.J. Arrington, Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan. Plus they have Selvin Young, Ryan Torrain and Peyton Hillis returning from the previous administration. So the running back position is covered.

So why in the world did the Broncos pass on a talent like Orakpo and take Moreno? The Redskins, who had the 13th selection, couldn't believe their good luck. After Denver took Moreno, Washington used only about 30 seconds of its allotted time to snatch up Orakpo.

At the 18TH pick the Broncos did select defensive end Robert Ayers out of Tennessee, so that was a relief, but it feels like a missed opportunity to not come out of the first rought with both Orakpo and Ayers.

Two things here:

1) If Denver had taken Orakpo im pretty sure Ayers would of been snagged up right after.

2) Washington's good luck? Hardly. Had Orakpo and Ayers been gone Washington would of been (and had been) trying to find a way to get Sanchez so DE was hardly their first priority there. They took the value as any intelligent team would but it wasnt like they were "lucky". Orakpo was originally slated to go in the top 10 so like Maualuga and Brown people saw something in those players that made them drop while Ayers rose from a late first round to the middle.

I would say Denver made out more than Washington did.

BroncoJoe
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I can't wait to listen to Jim and Sandy Monday afternoon...

If they haven't committed suicide, that is.

Tned
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12230256?source=rss

Ayers earns early high praise
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post

The Broncos are hoping Mike Mayock is right again.

Mayock, an NFL Network draft analyst, defied conventional thinking and targeted Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan as the top player in last year's draft. So what happened? Ryan became the league's offensive rookie of the year, reviving a moribund Atlanta franchise in the process.

Now comes Tennessee defensive end/outside linebacker Robert Ayers, the Broncos' second selection in the first round Saturday afternoon.

Mayock's take on Ayers?

"Robert Ayers is the best defensive player coming out of this draft," Mayock said. "You can get creative with Ayers. He brings your scheme versatility on defense. . . . I think he's a special player."

Mayock had Ayers ranked as the third-best player in the draft behind Virginia tackle Eugene Monroe and Georgia tailback Knowshon Moreno, selected by the Broncos six picks ahead of Ayers.

This much we already know about the 18th pick of 2009: He's a versatile player. At 6-feet-3 and 273 pounds, Ayers could play defensive end or outside linebacker in Mike Nolan's 3-4 defense.

Ayers started only one year at Tennessee, finishing his Volunteers career with a rather modest nine sacks. But he has the athleticism to become a pass rusher in Nolan's scheme. Not only that, he can drop back in coverage. Oh, and did we mention he saw spot duty at defensive tackle in Knoxville?

"I can do multiple things," Ayers said. "I've dropped back and I've rushed from every position. So that's not going to be anything strange for me."

Unlike some recent Broncos draft picks, most notably Jay Cutler in 2006, Ayers wasn't surprised when the Broncos came calling. He had talked at length with Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale and projected himself into the Broncos' system.

"I'm real excited," Ayers said. "I told my family I was thinking that Denver was going to be the team. Coach Martindale pretty much told me I was his guy. You don't want to get your hopes too high. You're just trying to go along with it. But when I saw 303 come up on my phone, I knew who it was."

The fact Martindale called Ayers probably tells us where Ayers will land in the Broncos' scheme. If the Broncos ask him to be a force coming off the corner in pursuit of the quarterback, he can fill the bill, says Tony Agnone, Ayers' agent.

"Oh, my gosh, yes," said Agnone, when asked if he felt Ayers could emerge into a double-digit sack man. "Absolutely, he can be that kind of guy. He didn't have a lot of sacks because of the way they played him, but when they let him go, he was phenomenal.

"He's more of a (Michael) Stra-han-type pass rusher. When he played against (Andre) Smith at Alabama, he crushed him. And he was blowing by everybody at the Senior Bowl."

Denver-based Cecil Lammey of draftguys.com can attest to that. He was at the Senior Bowl, where Ayers solidified his first-round status by dominating Ole Miss tackle Michael Oher, Baltimore's first-rounder.

"He was mashing Oher," Lammey said. "He was taking him to school. He was very strong, very powerful."

Still, Lammey wonders about the notion of Ayers significantly upgrading the Broncos' pass rush, which was so anemic in 2008 that Denver accounted for only 13 turnovers, the second-lowest total since the advent of the NFL's 16-game schedule.

"He's more like Aaron Smith of the Steelers," Lammey said. "He'll get five or six sacks in a good year and seven or eight in his best years. I know they're looking at him as a pass-rushing linebacker, but I don't think he'll do that. He may be better with his hand in the dirt as a defensive end."

Immaturity was an issue for Ayers in his early days on the UT campus. He was involved in a fraternity brawl as a freshman, a development that served as a turning point in his life.

"He's a great kid," Agnone said. "That incident helped him settle down and focus on football."

Joel
04-26-2009, 01:41 PM
"That's something that doesn't get talked about," McDaniels said. "He can put his face right in the (pass rusher's) number. Most college runners have to work on that.
At least I've finally heard something I regard as gospel from the new coach. Now if only he could find us a great NT....[/whine]