PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams?

ShaneFalco
04-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Who are we having fill the enormous void in special teams with Royal gone?

Willis constantly muffed many last year. I hope that isnt the answer ><

BroncoWave
04-10-2012, 01:39 AM
That's easy enough to draft for in the late rounds. Not really worried too much about that.

FanInAZ
04-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Let’s NOT get the guy who fumbled away the 49ers SB birth. Seriously, ST shouldn't be treated like an afterthought. I defiantly want returners that not only hang onto the ball, but can also get us better than average field position. It really can make a big difference in the outcome of a game.

jhildebrand
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I think the Broncos are hoping and counting on Sydquan Thompson to be healthy this year. If he is he would probably be our return man.

BigDaddyBronco
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Squid or Cassius Vaughn. Yippee!

NightTerror218
04-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I missed Squid this year.

ShaneFalco
04-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Who are the best returners in the draft?

ShaneFalco
04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I want a returner that can actually not make mistakes and return it for a td!

Willis and Vaughn were not really good when i saw them attempt ST in game.

In fact i think willis muffed 2 out of 6 returns?

Joel
04-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Let’s NOT get the guy who fumbled away the 49ers SB birth. Seriously, ST shouldn't be treated like an afterthought. I defiantly want returners that not only hang onto the ball, but can also get us better than average field position. It really can make a big difference in the outcome of a game.
It's a valid point; in addition to that one, Jacoby Jones fumbling a punt recovered at the Texans 2 yard line cost them an AFC Championship berth. Since the Texans would've gone through the defenseless Pats like a hot knife through butter while New Englands supposedly unstoppable offense accomplished no more against the #2 D than they did against the Ravens or Giants, two kick returners were likely the difference between a NY vs. NE Super Bowl and an SF vs. Houston one. Special teams matter; Devin Hester not only has the record for quickest Super Bowl score, but prevented an embarrassing Bears performance being a total rout.

It's hard to believe we've added so many good receivers (mostly TEs, last I checked) Royal is expendable, but we're developing a reputation for dumping anyone who has any success in the passing game. If I were Demaryius Thomas, I'd tell my agent to keep his ears open, because unless we decide we hate Mannings haircut he's probably the next target. Either way, Royals departure means we need a reliable returner.

ShaneFalco
04-18-2012, 07:45 PM
member Willis fumbling punts in the game vs New England? lol

Joel
04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
member Willis fumbling punts in the game vs New England? lol
I was thinking more of Quan Cosby in the first game, taking kicks out of the end zone to be tackled at our 10 yard line and fumbling a punt in front of our goal line just before halftime. It took real time commentary in The Guardian, of all places, to convey just how awful he was: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/18/new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-live

AGap
04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Mo, Clay, and 9 other helmets woud make a nice special team

Joel
04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Mo, Clay, and 9 other helmets woud make a nice special team
With a cute little team bus? :tongue:

Jsteve01
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Joel I think you're exaggerating. If you're referring to dropping Marshall, well we can see now that he's a head case in the realm of TO. Royal walked because he got more money from another franchise and honestly because who would you rather play with as a receiver? Rivers or Tebow

ShaneFalco
04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
I was thinking more of Quan Cosby in the first game, taking kicks out of the end zone to be tackled at our 10 yard line and fumbling a punt in front of our goal line just before halftime. It took real time commentary in The Guardian, of all places, to convey just how awful he was: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/18/new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-live

i was at that game with my dad. he couldnt believe it, he is a rams fan and was just shaking his head.

Special teams to me is a huge part of the game. It is in highschool, it is in college, in the NFL it seems to take a backseat... Then in the playoffs some guy fumbles and his teams season dissapears.

AGap
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
special teams can really make the difference in what goes into the W/L columns

Joel
05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Joel I think you're exaggerating. If you're referring to dropping Marshall, well we can see now that he's a head case in the realm of TO. Royal walked because he got more money from another franchise and honestly because who would you rather play with as a receiver? Rivers or Tebow
Marshall, Scheff, Lloyd and Royal. Those are all quality receivers, two of whom we dumped immediately after Pro Bowl seasons. The bottom line is that we began each of the last two seasons by giving away our most productive receiver from the previous season; between that and our pass protection, it's small wonder Manning wanted $20 million to sign with us.

i was at that game with my dad. he couldnt believe it, he is a rams fan and was just shaking his head.

Special teams to me is a huge part of the game. It is in highschool, it is in college, in the NFL it seems to take a backseat... Then in the playoffs some guy fumbles and his teams season dissapears.
It was as inexplicable as it was inexcusable. "A mistake becomes an error if left uncorrected," and all that, hence the Broncos corrected THEIR mistake by cutting Cosby soon after that game. Unfortunately, realizing that our starting kick returner is awful doesn't not, in itself, provide a better one.

ShaneFalco
05-14-2012, 07:09 PM
did the 49ers cut that guy who fumbled twice in the playoffs?

FanInAZ
05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
did the 49ers cut that guy who fumbled twice in the playoffs?

Apparently not as of April 18th.

Kyle Williams might have lost the confidence of the San Francisco 49ers' faithful with his two-fumble implosion in the NFC Championship Game, but he still has the faith of the team, according to general manager Trent Baalke.

"I'm not down on Kyle Williams, nor is anyone else in this organization," Baalke said Wednesday, according to The Associated Press. "It's done, it's over with, and we're moving forward. I'm very confident that Kyle will get past the incident of last year and is ready to move on. And he'll get better because of it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8286ccba/article/time-will-tell-if-49ers-truly-back-kyle-williams

Ravage!!!
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
which is why I'm not concerned with whomeverl dropped balls on kicks last year. Last year was last year.

ShaneFalco
06-01-2012, 01:03 PM
did any1 see from OTAS who is returning punts? i heard hillman was doing a couple.

ShaneFalco
10-16-2012, 04:44 AM
bump because of 2nites terrible special teams.

AGap
10-16-2012, 01:04 PM
I think we should go with Fed Ex

ShaneFalco
11-06-2012, 12:36 AM
how tall is holiday?

Sponsored Links