PDA

View Full Version : Which Wr has the better season?

cmc0605
04-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Eric Decker or Demaryius Thomas?

Before anyone jumps too quickly on Thomas, I think Decker is a bit of a more refined route runner (which is good with Manning), and it's way too early to mean anything but it seems he's giving more of an early effort to establish chemistry with Manning . I hope they both do good, but if you're in fantasy league Decker might be a steal...

DenBronx
04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Thomas....he's the superior WR. Decker is good but he's Brandon Stokely good. Thomas on the other hand is Reggie Wayne good.

MasterShake
04-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I think Decker. Manning will probably keep a lot of his throws in the mid range of the field which is where Deckers skills will shine. I would have said Royal if he didn't bail out on us. I would love to see Thomas and Decker put up numbers like Smith and McCaffrey back in the day!

silkamilkamonico
04-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Demaryious Thomas may drop balls, but at least he's explosive.

Eric Decker just drops balls. Manning won't be putting up with that shit and will be looking elsewhere.

threefolddead
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Hard to say, it seems that Decker has been working out quite a bit more with Manning so far than DT. In this first season that might pay off for Decker but DT has some amazing skills if he can put it all together and keep from injury. It will certainly be an interesting story at WR this year.

SoCalImport
04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah. Decker developed a serious case of stonehands toward the middle of the season.. now that may have been partly to do with hw the ball was being thrown..we'll see.
I think they both end up looking really good with a guy like Manning throwing it.

MOtorboat
04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Both will look exceptional with a quarterback.

underrated29
04-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I also think Decker....But if willis cracks the lineup- good things will happen.

Caldwell though- he did good for cincy.....ima say our receivers look like this

Only top 5 receiving stats here-
DT-1050 yards and 7 tds
Decker- 1300 yards 13 tds
Dressen- 650 yards 6 tds
Caldwell- (have to see him run first but...) 750 yards 3 tds
***feel free to ban me now***- Knowshon- 875 yards 5tds

BroncoWave
04-09-2012, 11:03 PM
It's hard to say. DT is 10 times the player Decker is, but Decker seems to be more of a Manning system type guy and is already building chemistry with him. DT needs to refine his route running big time to get on the same page with Manning.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Decker early, Thomas if he develops his route running. Each were no worse than Blair White and Austin Collie with Tebow/Ortonary throwing to them, they will flirt with 1000 yards/10 TD's each, imo.......

ShaneFalco
04-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Stephen Hill

jhildebrand
04-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Matt Willis is the answer to the question.

ShaneFalco
04-10-2012, 12:09 AM
I think the real question is, who the hell is returning punts for us now ?

CoachChaz
04-10-2012, 12:09 AM
The TE's. DT cant run routes and Decker cant get separation. PM will be checking down a lot

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Don't you think Manning can help DT with the timing of route running? He only needs to hit DT 3 or 4 times a game to open up the field.

Ziggy
04-10-2012, 01:03 AM
I also think Decker....But if willis cracks the lineup- good things will happen.

Caldwell though- he did good for cincy.....ima say our receivers look like this

Only top 5 receiving stats here-
DT-1050 yards and 7 tds
Decker- 1300 yards 13 tds
Dressen- 650 yards 6 tds
Caldwell- (have to see him run first but...) 750 yards 3 tds
***feel free to ban me now***- Knowshon- 875 yards 5tds

I'm guessing that Tamme will be a bigger target for Manning than Dressen simply due to the fact that Dressen will be used for blocking more often.

Northman
04-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Both will look exceptional with a quarterback.

Agreed.

I think the edge will go to DT just because he can be a playmaker after the catch. But, i expect Decker to have a great year as well. He is certainly no worse than Garcon.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "the one who stays healthy for $200, Alex..."

Both Thomas and Decker have been injured in the past. If both stay healthy, I think Decker has more catches and yards and DT has more TDs and a higher YPC avg.

Broncfan1970
04-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I think both have chance at great stats with Manning. People who say Decker can't hold onto a pass should keep in mind how many too low, too high and just plain ugly passes he did catch. Lets give him a year catching passes from a Qb who can put passes right where they need to be and then judge.

Jsteve01
04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Decker had all of 4 drops in college. And he was targeted hundreds of times. Last year was an anomaly

camdisco24
04-10-2012, 09:20 AM
I think DT will have a monster season with PM throwing to him. His after catch numbers are what sets him apart from Decker. Don't get me wrong, Decker will be a close 2nd. I'm pumped to see what these two can do with Manning teaching them routes and timing.

dogfish
04-10-2012, 09:49 AM
it's going to be decker. . .

don't kid yourselves-- if he stays healthy, he's going to have a hell of a year. . . dude was coming on very strong last season before we reverted to the run-run-punt offense. . . manning is 100% about timing, and decker is a far more precise route-runner than DT. . . his hands are fine, you critics in the peanut gallery are trippin'. . .

anyone who plays fantasy football and doesn't try to acquire decker on the cheap this year is an idiot whose team should get contracted by the commish. . .

Ravage!!!
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Decker was having a fantastic season early on last year with better passing offense. People want to say he drops passes, and I want to call out BULL. So Decker will be just fine, and will shine with a passing QB delivering the football.

Its not really a fair question, as DT is SUPPOSED to be the better WR, and you would expect the better WR to put up better stats. But Decker will fulfill his role nicely and do a good job of it.

underrated29
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
decker last year was open all the time. All. The. Time... Our Qbs just didnt hit him enough like they should have. Peyton will do that. That is why I go decker. DT is the better more talented WR, but he will be used more for the big plays and screens I think.....He just wont see as many balls as decker. That is why I said decker.

NightTerror218
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I think Decker will be more of a slot receiver and Decker will become the new Wayne. But he is going to rock the middle of the field with TEs. Thomas as explosiveness and size. Decker is the better route runner when he run the correct one (he ran several wrong routes last year, a couple against the Jets)

I personally think Decker/Thomas is the new McCaffery/Smith tandem. I thought that when they were both drafted.

NightTerror218
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
it's going to be decker. . .

don't kid yourselves-- if he stays healthy, he's going to have a hell of a year. . . dude was coming on very strong last season before we reverted to the run-run-punt offense. . . manning is 100% about timing, and decker is a far more precise route-runner than DT. . . his hands are fine, you critics in the peanut gallery are trippin'. . .

anyone who plays fantasy football and doesn't try to acquire decker on the cheap this year is an idiot whose team should get contracted by the commish. . .

I have had decker 2 years in a row and he has not done me an amazing job. He will get a decent amount of points then disappear. Both seasons, not just last season. He had too many drops, last season. He was known for solid hands in college. I hope it was a fluke year.

Ravage!!!
04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I have had decker 2 years in a row and he has not done me an amazing job. He will get a decent amount of points then disappear. Both seasons, not just last season. He had too many drops, last season. He was known for solid hands in college. I hope it was a fluke year.

Makes a HUGE difference on who's passing the ball and where its located. Decker is known for his great hands. The message boards complaining about his drops are a HUGE exaggeration to his skills.

NightTerror218
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Makes a HUGE difference on who's passing the ball and where its located. Decker is known for his great hands. The message boards complaining about his drops are a HUGE exaggeration to his skills.

3 drops in one game off his hands and chest are not exactly and exaggeration. He was known in college for great hands with 4 drops. I figured he would have been money in NFL with great hands and be the next Wes Welker. IMO it was more then just the QB, because he still had a fair amount of drops even with Orton, who has a good arm and accuracy just a horrible in game QB.

Northman
04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Orton didnt have that great of accuracy. Like ive been telling people, this year will be a lot different for our WR's. Too bad Royal isnt here because i would guarantee that he would of improved. I could of gone out there the last couple of years and played as well as Orton and Tebow and that isnt saying much.

GEM
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Eric Decker just drops balls. Manning won't be putting up with that shit and will be looking elsewhere.

Keep in mind who was throwing Decker the ball and when his case of the drops started. He caught just fine when Orton was throwing him the ball.

DenBronx
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM

I dont remember him dropping that many with Orton. Not a shot at Tebow but he did make it difficult at times for Decker.

Tebow had more success with Thomas because Tebows strength is the deep ball and not the short choppy route runners like Decker. Look for Decker to have a huge season but also look for Thomas to have better stats.

BroncoWave
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Not sure how much I buy into the "only 4 drops in college" stat. NCAA stats are kept by employees of the universities, not impartial NCAA staff, so you will see wild inconsistencies between scorekeepers. I'm not saying that stat is definitely wrong, but after working in a college athletic department for four years and seeing and hearing things about how certain games are scored, it has led me to be a little skeptical.

The fact is he dropped several catchable passes this season. I don't want to hear the QB excuse. There were several balls that hit him right in the hands that he didn't bring in. It's not like he played with a world-beater QB in college either. I'll have to see these amazing hands on the NFL field before I believe it.

BroncoStud
04-10-2012, 03:27 PM
They will both have successful seasons if they can stay on the field. And that's a BIG if...

Simple Jaded
04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
It's not an excuse, I'll write the WR's off after they fail with a real QB throwing them the ball.

Keenan Allen 2013.......

broncobryce
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Thomas will have the better season IMO. This guy is about to absolutely explode on the NFL. Dude was near the top in the NFL during the last month of the season when he got back in the flow.

Decker is smart though, making sure he is there sounds like whenever Manning needs to throw. Hell I would be too.

GEM
04-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Not sure how much I buy into the "only 4 drops in college" stat. NCAA stats are kept by employees of the universities, not impartial NCAA staff, so you will see wild inconsistencies between scorekeepers. I'm not saying that stat is definitely wrong, but after working in a college athletic department for four years and seeing and hearing things about how certain games are scored, it has led me to be a little skeptical.

The fact is he dropped several catchable passes this season. I don't want to hear the QB excuse. There were several balls that hit him right in the hands that he didn't bring in. It's not like he played with a world-beater QB in college either. I'll have to see these amazing hands on the NFL field before I believe it.

He did drop some catchable balls. I agree. I want to see what he does again with a "typical" qb, He didn't have the issues with the college qb, didn't have the issues with Orton, then all the sudden with a left handed qb who had no timing and mechanical issues, he's dropping all kinds of balls. Now, it may be that Manning comes in and he continues to drop balls, but I am more inclined to believe it had to do with who was throwing it. Guess we'll find out. Actually can't wait. :D

Jsteve01
04-10-2012, 06:01 PM

I understand where you're coming from but in all honesty going back to Pop Werner, Decker was known for his hands. Im sorry but as I said before last season was an aberration.

NightTerror218
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
He did drop some catchable balls. I agree. I want to see what he does again with a "typical" qb, He didn't have the issues with the college qb, didn't have the issues with Orton, then all the sudden with a left handed qb who had no timing and mechanical issues, he's dropping all kinds of balls. Now, it may be that Manning comes in and he continues to drop balls, but I am more inclined to believe it had to do with who was throwing it. Guess we'll find out. Actually can't wait. :D

Yup Percy Harvin really played better with real NFL QBs throwing him the since any NFL QB was an upgrade over Tebow :rolleyes:

BroncoWave
04-10-2012, 09:17 PM

I hope you're right! If anyone can straighten him out it's Manning, so we'll see!

Ravage!!!
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
EVERY WR in the NFL drops "catchable" balls. I just don't believe in the coincidence that a guy that is known for having incredible hands started dropping balls when an inaccurate passer took over behind center. Obviously we'll see. But I know this, he WILL drop another pass, as every WR drops passes. It happens.

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Eric Decker gets paid to catch the football.

I don't care who's throwing the ball or how tight the spiral is, you get paid to catch the football, don't drop the f'n football.

Dude was horrible with drops, and one thing he wasn't doing regardless of who was throwing the football was making plays.

Any WR can catch footballs with tight spirals. NFL Wr's get paid to make catches and hang on to the football.

Don't drop the football this year Eric Decker.

NightTerror218
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Eric Decker gets paid to catch the football.

I don't care who's throwing the ball or how tight the spiral is, you get paid to catch the football, don't drop the f'n football.

Dude was horrible with drops, and one thing he wasn't doing regardless of who was throwing the football was making plays.

Any WR can catch footballs with tight spirals. NFL Wr's get paid to make catches and hang on to the football.

Don't drop the football this year Eric Decker.

I agree, I think Manning will make him work more for the ball. Put the ball into places and make Decker work for the ball. He is going to have to make plays on the ball. Tebow may not have thrown tight spirals but he waited until WRs were wide open. Manning will put into to tight places and where only the WR can catch it as long as they make a play for it.

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I think Decker will be better this year with manning throwing him the ball. but that doesn't excuse his drops, or the fact that the dude better be better than what he was last year or he isn't going to last long in Denver.

NightTerror218
04-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Speaking of Decker, my wife's boss is a huge fan of his......just because she slept with his dad and now the kid is famous. LMAO

Joel
04-11-2012, 02:26 PM

Decker caught balls at the start of the year while Thomas dropped them; Thomas caught them at the end of the year while Decker began dropping them. In coach-speak, Decker regressed while Thomas developed; Tebows best service to the team may have been his pep talk to Thomas in the Vikings game, because the dude was on fire after that. So Decker has to get back to where he was to even have a chance to be on Thomas' level, and he'll still be slower, while Thomas seems to have surmounted his performance obstacle. I'm betting on Thomas, though I'd be thrilled to see Decker perform as well as he did before Thanksgiving.

NightTerror218
04-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Decker caught balls at the start of the year while Thomas dropped them; Thomas caught them at the end of the year while Decker began dropping them. In coach-speak, Decker regressed while Thomas developed; Tebows best service to the team may have been his pep talk to Thomas in the Vikings game, because the dude was on fire after that. So Decker has to get back to where he was to even have a chance to be on Thomas' level, and he'll still be slower, while Thomas seems to have surmounted his performance obstacle. I'm betting on Thomas, though I'd be thrilled to see Decker perform as well as he did before Thanksgiving.

You mean Thomas dropped balls while he was on the bench injured the first half of the season? Thomas came in and played well with some dropped balls yes. Decker dropped off real quick after the first 3 games. (He was good in fantasy football and then horrible, good thing no stat for dropped passes, because it mentioned his dropped passes several times when targeted)

Ravage!!!
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Silk is majorly exaggerating Decker's drops. Many here, are exaggerating the drops by Decker. Seems thats what happens, one person complains and then everyone jumps on as if its fact.

Decker's hands and drops are NOT a problem. Decker is fin.

NightTerror218
04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Silk is majorly exaggerating Decker's drops. Many here, are exaggerating the drops by Decker. Seems thats what happens, one person complains and then everyone jumps on as if its fact.

So you say. I saw too many this season. I saw 3 in one game. If they hit his hands its a problem when not caught.

This is coming from someone who exaggerated about TEBOW non-stop all year.

Decker had drops. he is a young player and will get better. I rather see an area of improvement then see a guy who just cant do it at all. What does it matter if people state he has drops nobody is calling for him to be replaced. Decker and Thomas are going to be an amazing tandem and I cant wait for the season.

dogfish
04-11-2012, 05:43 PM

to be fair, he did have a bit of a problem with it down the stretch, but people are blowing it way out of proportion. . . as i'm sure you've noticed, our fan base tends to take mistakes by young players personally, and resent them for it. . . rather than applying a bit of common ****ing sense and understanding that most young players go through growing pains, they prefer to simplify and decide that a guy who makes some mistakes sucks and won't get better. . .

i agree with you, he'll be fine. . . i expect a very strong year if he stays healthy. . .

Simple Jaded
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Sometimes we just get it wrong. I remember the huge drama over Decker's drop against the Chefs when the replay clearly showed Brandon Carr knocking the pass down. But Tebew completed all of 2 passes that day so of course it's gotta be the "drop" and playcalling. If you're gonna ding Decker for that play do it for not high pointing the ball.......

Ravage!!!
04-11-2012, 06:47 PM
to be fair, he did have a bit of a problem with it down the stretch, but people are blowing it way out of proportion. . . as i'm sure you've noticed, our fan base tends to take mistakes by young players personally, and resent them for it. . . rather than applying a bit of common ****ing sense and understanding that most young players go through growing pains, they prefer to simplify and decide that a guy who makes some mistakes sucks and won't get better. . .

i agree with you, he'll be fine. . . i expect a very strong year if he stays healthy. . .
Thats pretty much what I mean. Of course he had drops, and considering how few times we threw the ball, those drops would seem to come more often because its a higher % of passes. All receivers drop passes, and certainly young ones. But as you pointed out, it's been exaggerated to the point of "hate spew" on these boards lately, and that just breeds more "spew" because people repeat what they hear.

catfish
04-13-2012, 07:03 AM
statistically speaking, on a list of 95 WR (those who had at least 25% of the targets by their QB) ranked by drop rate, DT was ranked 78th with a 13.51%(37 catchable, 32 caught) drop rate, Eric Decker was 86th with a 16.98%(53/44) drop rate and eddie royal was 93rd with a 20.83% (24/19) drop rate.

as the rankings are all done by the same person the measuring stick for what is a drop would be the same across the board. stats come from Profootballfocus.com

Chef Zambini
04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
the one who stays healthy.

dogfish
04-17-2012, 02:32 AM
i posted this in another thread, but it fits in this conversation as well. . . manning had this to say in an NFL total access segment that was filmed after workouts at the facility today (pardon my rough transcription):

" (the wide receiver group) is a group that likes to work, that's willing to do the extra things. And you know, Eric is kind of the veteran receiver of that group, and he'll be called into more of a leadership role this year, taking charge of that group-- he's the guy I've thrown to the most, at many different locations. . . And he's the guy that Mike McCoy wants to move around, wants to move him around and get the ball in his hands, because he has that versatility-- and that's a real credit to him. I'm looking forward to getting my timing down with him-- and with all the guys."

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2012, 08:59 AM
I like to hear that Manning is developing well with Decker and speaking in such high regard to him. Should be a subtle message to DT to get his ass out on the field and do his work.