PDA

View Full Version : Knowshon Moreno

CPS22
04-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Denver picks Knowshon Moreno with the 12th over all pick!! What are your guys feelings??

Benetto
04-25-2009, 04:36 PM
We snagged him at 12...Thoughts?

I love it!!!!

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
We should've gone Everette Brown or Malcolm Jenkins at 12. Oh well.

Maurice Clarrett anyone??

broken12
makes sence...last year we needed the running game.....oh wait a minute need defense and a qb now!!

BigDaddyBronco
I'm ok with it. I wanted T. Jackson or Raji, but oh well.

I think we took him at 12 since New Orleans was picking at 14 and need a RB.

gobroncsnv
04-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Bummed... we need defense... oh well, we'll see what 18 brings us... betcha it's a USC LB...

BigDaddyBronco
04-25-2009, 04:38 PM

You think he'll get his Goose on in the weight room?

broken12
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
i mean we only signed 4 in offseason from free agence makes sence we were lacking rb last year and defense........wow!! dont know how i keep forgetting this we dont have a qb either!!!

McKeough
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Why... didn't we draft Orakpo?

Omg, I hate McDaniels more and more every day.

20 RB's on the roster and a bunch of washed up scrubs on defense. Solid...

Foochacho
04-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Awesome pick. Our top defensive guys were off the board so we take a stud instead of reaching for a guy that will be around later.

broken12
04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
small rb durability issues!!!! have that already in selvin young jj arrington tato bell

Bronco Bible
04-25-2009, 04:44 PM

I love it!!!!

Me to Benetto he will make the rushing attack thrive once more jmo:elefant:

BroncoWave
Great pick!

Benetto
This thread will hurt when its bumped....You KNOWshon it, haters.

Benetto
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I posted this in the 2009 draft thread, and thought id copy paste it here.

You don't let a talent like Moreno pass you up at 12...We made that mistake with Action Jackson when we took DJ over him.

getlynched47
small rb durability issues!!!! have that already in selvin young jj arrington tato bell

You clearly don't know your college football. Knowshon has never had injury concerns, and he's 5'11/ 217 lbs.

Try again --->:coffee:

getlynched47
I posted this in the 2009 draft thread, and thought id copy paste it here.

You don't let a talent like Moreno pass you up at 12...We made that mistake with Action Jackson when we took DJ over him.

IT wasn't a mistake taking DJ Williams :coffee:

Crush05
04-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I like the pick! Do not really think we needed another rb after the offseason moves but hey I am just a fan what do I know! I honestly feel we should have gone defensive line or lb!!

Benetto
04-25-2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37997

skycoyote
04-25-2009, 05:00 PM
So what happened to building a defense?

Crush05
04-25-2009, 05:04 PM
So what happened to building a defense?

Ask all of the J. McD fans!!!:tsk:

Bill Devaroe
04-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Ask all of the J. McD fans!!!:tsk:

This pick just made me throw up in my mounth

SR
04-25-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't like it. I understand taking the best pick available, but we don't need a running back. We should have taken Orakpo AND Ayers. Our ends would've been SOLID and we could've picked up a tackle like Brace later.

rcsodak
04-25-2009, 05:17 PM

I love it!!!!

Stupid

Stupid

Stupid

Last I saw, rb's don't stop the run, or sack the qb.:tsk:

I guess we can throw out all of the comparisons to NE now....

...and yes....

...even you, JR! :lol:

broncohead
04-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Orakpo should have been gone at 12 and Moreno could have still been there at 18. We would have been better off with Brown.

Dirk
04-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I think this pick had a lot to do with 2 things...

1. Stud Running back
2. Selling Jerseys and trying to help fans forget Cutler.

I love Moreno and wanted him....but not at 12. Oh well...he IS a stud.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 05:35 PM

1. Stud Running back

I think there is some truth to that....

Watchthemiddle
04-25-2009, 05:42 PM
All the people who whinned over not having a solid running game last year and thats why Jay threw so many picks can now SHUT UP!!

Moreno brings a complete package. Sure we all know we need defense, but an offense that was 16th in the league in scoring despite putting up lots of yardage sucked!!!

It just got better. Talk about an all around RB.

Watchthemiddle
04-25-2009, 05:43 PM

1. Stud Running back

Reports this week around Denver were that Bowlen wanted an RB in the first round. Taking the top RB in the draft at #12 makes you wonder who decided on this pick. X, MCD, or the BOSS?

BroncoBJ
04-25-2009, 05:44 PM

1. Stud Running back

That actually makes sense. McDaniels probably knows that he messed up so hes trying to make it up and bringing in an offensive playmaker and hope he can win some fans back.

I'll reserve judgement until the draft is final. I'm not too happy with the Ayers pick though. I really wanted Rey. But We have 8 picks left. Only time will tell.

I liked Moreno in college but I never visioned him as a Bronco. Its just wierd to me.

honz
04-25-2009, 05:44 PM
I thought Jay couldn't get the ball in the endzone last year because Jay had no true RB...well we got one! Watch Moreno's highlights on Youtube...dude know how to fing the endzone and the first down marker.

EMB6903
04-25-2009, 05:45 PM

not close...

Moreno is tough... and a hard worker

a 3 down runningback

Clarrett was drafted on "potential" because of a good freshman season.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I may not have like the position taken, but certainly don't dislike the player.

How could anyone compare Moreno to clarett?????

dogfish
04-25-2009, 05:55 PM

I love it!!!!

:woot: :woot:

Denver27og
04-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Moreno is a beast!!! But mcd is an assss

broken12
04-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I thought Jay couldn't get the ball in the endzone last year because Jay had no true RB...well we got one! Watch Moreno's highlights on Youtube...dude know how to fing the endzone and the first down marker.

now we need a jay.....orton played with a hell of a rb and faid defense that was on the field too much and couldnt get to the playoffs in the nfc which is weaker division...any of you expect him to get us further than what we did last year is wack!!! i hate to say it but in my opinion the chargers will run the afc west for the next 3-4 years and at that time does anyone think that bowlen will be patient enough to keep mcdaniels? Or are we going to find ourselves back to were we are now!! with cutler at least we could have taken time to build the defense and try to outscore teams we had the twelth pick anyway and wouldnt have had to try and make up glamour pick rb..could have went with something we really needed..

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 05:59 PM
now we need a jay.....orton played with a hell of a rb and faid defense that was on the field too much and couldnt get to the playoffs in the nfc which is weaker division...any of you expect him to get us further than what we did last year is wack!!! i hate to say it but in my opinion the chargers will run the afc west for the next 3-4 years and at that time does anyone think that bowlen will be patient enough to keep mcdaniels? Or are we going to find ourselves back to were we are now!! with cutler at least we could have taken time to build the defense and try to outscore teams we had the twelth pick anyway and wouldnt have had to try and make up glamour pick rb..could have went with something we really needed..

Well now Orton has Moreno and a defense full of 2nd tier free agents that might be able to get us into the middle of the pack. We'll see...

Tned
04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't like it. I understand taking the best pick available, but we don't need a running back. We should have taken Orakpo AND Ayers. Our ends would've been SOLID and we could've picked up a tackle like Brace later.

I'm not sure Moreno was the best player on the board. Many of the mocks were even split on whether he or wells were better.

I hope this guy turns out to be a stud, because I have not liked this RBBC stuff since Portis.

lewik
04-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Just watched his youtube stuff... wow. Moreno has some serious skill. I love the pick.

We're going to be mean on offense again. Moreno, Hillis, Marshall, Graham. Lots of physical play there.

xzn
04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I love getting Knowshon, but would have loved it more if we had been able to get him at 18. That said, they must have not thought he'd last.

Ed Werder said he talked to Coach and was told they thought Ayers could bulk up enough to play hand in the dirt or standing up.

Mayock has Ayers and Moreno both in his top six overall prospects, so to the extent he knows what he's talking about we got tremendous value getting two top five type guys at 12 and 18.

BroncoTech
04-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Worst pick ever. I don't know much other than he's a Reggie Bush style runner and he's really good, but he's got to gain 300 pounds to fill that nose tackle we really need.

broken12
04-25-2009, 06:11 PM
just listenedto mcd talk about moreno thought he was talking about reggie bush for a second said didnt get hit to hard and was very elusive or something like that...that said thats not what we need!!

honz
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
LMAO. Moreno is not a Reggie Bush type RB. Moreno will get the tough yards when nothing is there and is not afraid of contact at all.

bcbronc
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Worst pick ever. I don't know much other than he's a Reggie Bush style runner and he's really good, but he's got to gain 300 pounds to fill that nose tackle we really need.

who would you have taken at 12 to play NT? Oher?

I'm not huge for taking a RB in the first, but the way the board shook out, it made sense.

broken12
04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
well we dont just need nt we need lb, cb, safety, we could have traded down also dont really think anyone under us would have taken him....i would have loved orakpo at that pick could have played olb and de in nickel and dime situations and still gotten ayers at 18 or maybe wells or moreno stilll there.. in my opinion this pick was taken as a glamour pick to take the mind off cutler being gone when the offense lines up and have our eyes set on what moreno willl do at rb!!! hate the pick at twelve

Watchthemiddle
04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
LMAO. Moreno is not a Reggie Bush type RB. Moreno will get the tough yards when nothing is there and is not afraid of contact at all.

Ya, not sure where the Reggie Bush comparison came to be...Moreno outweighs him by about 15 lbs.

Tned
04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
who would you have taken at 12 to play NT? Oher?

I'm not huge for taking a RB in the first, but the way the board shook out, it made sense.

No nose tackle, but could have gone Orakpo for the OLB pass rusher.

bcbronc
04-25-2009, 06:27 PM
No nose tackle, but could have gone Orakpo for the OLB pass rusher.

we got Ayers for that role. same kind of prospects imo.

broken12
04-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Ya, not sure where the Reggie Bush comparison came to be...Moreno outweighs him by about 15 lbs.

i said it sounded like he was talking about reggie bush.....makes people miss and hes elusivness in space and never takes the big hit...thats not going to happen in nfl....

broken12
04-25-2009, 06:29 PM
really dont make any sense wasted money on the 3 rbs got in free agency to draft one at 12 pick in the draft....nonsense

Watchthemiddle
04-25-2009, 06:29 PM
i said it sounded like he was talking about reggie bush.....makes people miss and hes elusivness in space and never takes the big hit...thats not going to happen in nfl....

:beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Tvu9Cx9PQ

His TD run at 5:08

Nomad
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
OOOOOO! DT Hood for the Steelers!!!!

Oooops wrong thread! :embarassed:

Nomad
04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
BRONCOS move up in the 2nd to get Brace, my prediction!!!

Oooops! wrong thread! :embarassed:

powderaddict
04-25-2009, 06:43 PM
I really like the pick. Moreno won't get the ball 25 times a game, so he shouldn't wear out, and he's a heck of a threat a RB. By all reports he's a team first guy, a class act, and I can't wait to see him play.

The Broncos still have 8 more picks to address the defense, it doesn't HAVE to be the #12 pick. Plus, if he helps move the chains that will help the defense immensely by keeping them off the field :salute:

Hawgdriver
04-25-2009, 06:47 PM
20 RB's on the roster and a bunch of washed up scrubs on defense. Solid...

20 second string RBs on the roster, so I'm not crushed we pick up a possible #1. Seems a decent pick but I would have hoped we could shore up the D with this pick.

Hawgdriver
04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
really dont make any sense wasted money on the 3 rbs got in free agency to draft one at 12 pick in the draft....nonsense

You can't make decisions in the past with information only available in the future. Both decisions were reasonable at the time. Besides, having depth at RB is no crime--we could need the depth ourselves or be in a position later to deal a Buckhalter for picks.

claymore
04-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Love this pick. I was hoping Jackson/Raji at 12, and Moreno at 18....... But I couldnt be happier.

LRtagger
04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Love this pick. I was hoping Jackson/Raji at 12, and Moreno at 18....... But I couldnt be happier.

werd up

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Not my top choice...but then my top 3 were gone in TJax, Raji and Maybin. Regardless of our defensive needs, we did get a great RB. Many bitch that we haven't had a real RB since Portis, so now we do...so no more crying about that. And for the Orton haters, he now has another weapon to take some pressure off of him.

ChampWJ
04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I've been praising Knowshon on these boards along with all my Bulldogs for the last 2 years! I can't believe we actually got him. You guys will all love him. Super energy, amazing agility and burst. He is the total package.

Nomad
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been praising Knowshon on these boards along with all my Bulldogs for the last 2 years! I can't believe we actually got him. You guys will all love him. Super energy, amazing agility and burst. He is the total package.

You must be really excited to have a Dawg as a BRONCO, though he won't be TD or HW!!;);)

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:07 PM
From "Draft Dogs"

If he enters the 2009 NFL Draft he should be the first running back taken. Yes even ahead of Chris (Beanie) Wells from Ohio State. Moreno might not be as big and fast as Wells, but he is much more elusive and can make multiple tacklers miss in the open field. He is more athletic and has more wiggle in his giddy-up. Moreno runs with power and reckless abandon and his spin move is probably the best that I have seen since Barry Sanders. Moreno has excellent vision and runs as hard as any back in the country, he finished his runs similar to the Cowboys RB Marion Barber, can catch the ball very well out of the backfield and has shown to be very durable during his short career at Georgia. Needles to say, I like Moreno a lot and feel he will be a featured back for a very lucky NFL team.

* CBS Game Announcers compared him to Walter Payton.

* Mayock compared him to Gale Sayers.

* I compare him to TD, but with better moves and more speed.

ChampWJ
04-25-2009, 10:11 PM
You must be really excited to have a Dawg as a BRONCO, though he won't be TD or HW!!;);)

Excited is probably an understatement. I don't know that many people around here realize just how much upside this guy has. This is not just the UGA homer in me talking. The guy flat out oozes passion and skill. :salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Am I too far off in comparing him to CP?

ChampWJ
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Am I too far off in comparing him to CP?

Their running styles are similar, but Moreno is far more elusive and powerful on contact when you consider his size. He is not a big back but I remember a lot of Georgia players saying he was pound-for-pound the strongest guy on the team. Not to say Portis isn't a good receiver, but Moreno is absolutely phenomenal in that facet of his game. That and his blocking are probably what separated him from the rest of the backs in the draft.

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:20 PM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Georgia+v+Kentucky+Gph5y1F1Udrm.jpg

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:21 PM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Georgia+Tech+v+Georgia+8MNOze5Ztswl.jpg

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Georgia+Tech+v+Georgia+kHh-E7C5--Bl.jpg

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/knowshon-moreno.jpg

Drill-N-Fill
04-25-2009, 10:24 PM

I'm with you here. I had a man crush on this guy since before last years draft. I don't think we realize how good this kid is. I'm just glad we didn't reach for a defensive player here.

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Georgia+v+Kentucky+aQG2WtPvFQ0l.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:37 PM
This makes me happy. I've been sick of the late round RBs wfor half a decade now. It's about friggin time we got a stud in here to carry the load.

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:41 PM
SA27, I haven't seen your take on Ayers yet. I would think you would have a really good idea about what he can do for us being a Vols guy and all. Did you already post that in another thread. Do you think he can play hand in the dirt 5 tech for us?

I know he can play 3 tech on third down and probably can scrape off the edge standing up. You've probably seen him more than most of the coaching staff what's your take on him specifically as a 34 DE?

Benetto
04-25-2009, 10:42 PM
This makes me happy. I've been sick of the late round RBs wfor half a decade now. It's about friggin time we got a stud in here to carry the load.

Dude, i've been waiting to read your opinion about this...You've been the Forums' (Freak) Mel Kiper for the 2-3 years I've been around.

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Georgia+v+Kentucky+gwWDQBX7ko5l.jpg

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Capital+One+Bowl+_1xMrdGC2ZSl.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
SA27, I haven't seen your take on Ayers yet. I would think you would have a really good idea about what he can do for us being a Vols guy and all. Did you already post that in another thread. Do you think he can play hand in the dirt 5 tech for us?

I know he can play 3 tech on third down and probably can scrape off the edge standing up. You've probably seen him more than most of the coaching staff what's your take on him specifically as a 34 DE?

I've posted elsewhere, but I'll repeat it.

I think Ayers has the potential to fit 2 roles. First off, I don't think he is that dynamic player that some feel only should be selected in round 1. He can have an impact and solidify his spot on the D, but he isn't Julius Peppers.

He can be a Tyson Jackson/Chris Canty clone if he adds 10-15 lbs and hold down one DE spot in a 3-4. He is stout vs the run and has played vs top notch competition in the SEC. Although he doesn't get the sacks, he plays on the other side of the LOS. He can disrupt and has a bunch of tackles for loss.

If he plays OLB in the 3-4, I think he can be a LaMarr Woodley type. He's big and think and can handle runs to his side. He won't be stellar in pursuit, but he also won't get fooled a lot. He also won't be bullied. The 3-4 system will assist him in getting to the QB more than in college.

Overall I like the player. Not flashy, but the one year wonder description is a load of crap. He's played a LOT. Didn't technically start til 08, but the Vols run a regular rotation w/ the Dline.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Dude, i've been waiting to read your opinion about this...You've been the Forums' (Freak) Mel Kiper for the 2-3 years I've been around.

I LOVE this pick. If you play the "need" card, he wasn't the best pick, but still a good one. If ya play the BPO card, he's PERFECT. I still love LeSean McCoy and think he'll be a very good back, but I am happy as horse shit to have Moreno.

aberdien
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM
He'll obviously help out although it wasn't really necessary. Still won't matter unless we get a defense.

xzn
04-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I've posted elsewhere, but I'll repeat it.

I think Ayers has the potential to fit 2 roles. First off, I don't think he is that dynamic player that some feel only should be selected in round 1. He can have an impact and solidify his spot on the D, but he isn't Julius Peppers.

He can be a Tyson Jackson/Chris Canty clone if he adds 10-15 lbs and hold down one DE spot in a 3-4. He is stout vs the run and has played vs top notch competition in the SEC. Although he doesn't get the sacks, he plays on the other side of the LOS. He can disrupt and has a bunch of tackles for loss.

If he plays OLB in the 3-4, I think he can be a LaMarr Woodley type. He's big and think and can handle runs to his side. He won't be stellar in pursuit, but he also won't get fooled a lot. He also won't be bullied. The 3-4 system will assist him in getting to the QB more than in college.

Overall I like the player. Not flashy, but the one year wonder description is a load of crap. He's played a LOT. Didn't technically start til 08, but the Vols run a regular rotation w/ the Dline.

:salute: Great stuff man, thanks for the knowledge.

In addition to those two roles would you agree with the notion of him playing as a 3 technique DT in nickle situations?

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Moreno is going to look sick in a Broncos uniform :werd:

xzn
04-26-2009, 12:28 AM
What number will he wear?

It won't be #24!

I vote for #30. I think he understands the significance of it and would do TD proud...

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 12:31 AM

It won't be #24!

I vote for #30. I think he understands the significance of it and would do TD proud...

NOOO...can't. Maybe something like 22.

xzn
04-26-2009, 12:35 AM

If Mike Bell can wear 30....:rolleyes:

xzn
04-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Or how about #34, like "Sweetness"?

BroncoWave
04-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Or how about #34, like "Sweetness"?

I like that idea! Only one digit different from his current #, and it's a # that has a lot of history. I like it!

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 12:40 AM

It won't be #24!

I'm guessing that also.

Maybe he brings back 27 or 29? Unfortunately, those numbers aren't retired and players can't stay away from them forever.

How about 20? Is that still available?

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 12:40 AM

FYI, Peyton Hillis wears 22 :coffee:

slim
04-26-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't care what number he wears, as long as lives up to his potential.

Oh how I have missed a dominate running game.

xzn
04-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Actually, #34 was my son's idea and the more I think about that I really like it.

It combines his two Georgia influences/ role models Champ and TD who are also legendary Broncos!

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Actually, #34 was my son's idea and the more I think about that I really like it.

It combines his two Georgia influences/ role models Champ and TD who are also legendary Broncos!

Not too mention Herchel Walker as well....another roll model from Georgia that I saw doing an interview with him.

I like #34 for him.

Northman
04-26-2009, 12:47 AM
I have no problems taking Moreno. I like ten times better than Wells thats for sure.

xzn
04-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Good point about Herchel, I had not recalled his number, thanks for the reminder.

Btw, I also saw that interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Tvu9Cx9PQ

Highly recommend for anyone who is doubting the pick or who just hasn't seen it yet!

Italianmobstr7
04-26-2009, 01:03 AM
He's going to be a superstar for us. A good running game will help our Offense and defense out immensly. D will get a chance to rest. Orton will have a good pass blocked and explosive rb. Can't wait to see him in orange and blue!

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 01:04 AM
He's going to be a superstar for us. A good running game will help our Offense and defense out immensly. D will get a chance to rest. Orton will have a good pass blocked and explosive rb. Can't wait to see him in orange and blue!

Most importantly, it will make Orton feel right at home. In Chicago, he had Matt Forte. Now he has Knowshon Moreno.

xzn
04-26-2009, 02:12 AM
This is a good short clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfWsx8GUAGE&feature=related

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Is his 40 time for real? 4.62? I like how the scouting report says he "gets to top speed extremely quick". When you run a 4.62, it doesn't take much.

honz
04-26-2009, 02:43 AM
12. Denver Broncos
The pick: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
What he brings: We place a high value on competitiveness when we evaluate running backs and Moreno is clearly the most determined runner in this class. He runs with an attitude and can run over or make defenders miss when he gets into the open field. Although Moreno ran a disappointing 40 (4.62) at the combine, he has outstanding quickness and he reaches his top-end speed in a flash. We also believe that he's an underrated receiver, making him a three-down back.

How he fits: This is a somewhat-surprising pick considering the needs that Denver has on its defensive front. The Broncos have been lacking a franchise back since Clinton Portis was traded and it is very important to the ownership to get a feature back, which Moreno is. A tough downhill runner who attacks seams, Moreno will have his talent maximized in the Broncos' zone scheme and will thrive playing for running backs coach Bobby Turner. Denver must have felt like the player outweighed its primary need on defense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4099731

honz
04-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Overall Football Traits

Production 1 Redshirted in 2006. Played in all 13 games (six starts) as a redshirt freshman in 2007, when he rushed for 1,334 yards and 14 scores on 248 carries. Started all 13 games as a third-year sophomore in 2008, rushing for 1,400 yards and 16 scores on 250 carries. In two seasons combined, he hauled in 53 passes for 645 yards and two scores. Only the second Georgia running back to rush for 1,000-plus yards in consecutive seasons; Hershel Walker did it three consecutive season.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate height and bulk but will need to get bigger and stronger to hold up in the NFL. Is quicker than fast. Top-end speed is adequate but not great.

Durability 3 His reckless running style and undersized frame creates legitimate concern regarding his long-term durability in the NFL. Got nicked up at times and played through a knee injury early in 2008, but he did not miss a game in two seasons of carrying the load for the Bulldogs. Still lots of tread left on his tires.

Character 1 Immediately took over as a team leader when he cracked the starting lineup as a freshman in 2007. Not a vocal leader but leads by example. Great practice player. Ultra competitive. His relentless style of play is infectious.

Running Back specific Traits

Competitiveness 1 Competitiveness and effort is outstanding ? in every aspect of the game. Not very big or overpowering as a runner, but he runs hard, uses good pad level and bounces off of a lot of would-be-tacklers like a pinball. Feet are seemingly always moving. Displays good ball security. Plays the game with a non-stop motor.

Vision 2 Decisive runner. Doesn't dance in the backfield. Only issue here is that he tends to bounce some runs outside when it's unnecessary. He displays excellent peripheral vision in the open field, though. Knows when he has the angle as a runner and when it's time to cut against the grain.

Explosiveness 2 Very good initial quickness. Bursts through the line of scrimmage. Shows some elusiveness in space. Will make defenders miss more often than not when in one-on-one situations. Only concern in this facet of his game is the lack of an elite second-gear. He gets from 0-to-60 miles-per-hour very quickly but that's where he tops off.

Balance/Change-of-Directions 2 Is shifty. Displays a very good center of gravity. Doesn't give defenders much of a target to hit. His balance is exceptional. Shows rare ability to take a hit, recover before a knee/elbow touches the turf, and then quickly regain his burst heading north. (see: 3rd quarter TD run with 13:04 remaining versus Vanderbilt). Moreno also makes himself small behind the offensive line and is very difficult to find because he changes direction and gets up-the-field so quickly.

Passing Game 2 Underrated receiver. Good instincts as a route runner. Soft hands. Can adjust to poorly thrown ball. Can find the ball over his shoulder (see: TD reception versus Michigan State in Capital One Bowl) and also can catch the ball thrown over his head. Aggressive in pass pro. Looks to initiate contact. Is a bit undersized and will be overmatched physically on occasion, but he's willing and tough. Mixes in effective cut blocks and keeps blitzers guessing.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=24685&draftyear=2009

xzn
04-26-2009, 02:53 AM
Edited for readability. Thanks for posting though.

Overall Football Traits

Production 1

Redshirted in 2006. Played in all 13 games (six starts) as a redshirt freshman in 2007, when he rushed for 1,334 yards and 14 scores on 248 carries. Started all 13 games as a third-year sophomore in 2008, rushing for 1,400 yards and 16 scores on 250 carries. In two seasons combined, he hauled in 53 passes for 645 yards and two scores. Only the second Georgia running back to rush for 1,000-plus yards in consecutive seasons; Hershel Walker did it three consecutive season.

Height-Weight-Speed 3

Adequate height and bulk but will need to get bigger and stronger to hold up in the NFL. Is quicker than fast. Top-end speed is adequate but not great.

Durability 3

His reckless running style and undersized frame creates legitimate concern regarding his long-term durability in the NFL. Got nicked up at times and played through a knee injury early in 2008, but he did not miss a game in two seasons of carrying the load for the Bulldogs. Still lots of tread left on his tires.

Character 1

Immediately took over as a team leader when he cracked the starting lineup as a freshman in 2007. Not a vocal leader but leads by example. Great practice player. Ultra competitive. His relentless style of play is infectious.

Running Back specific Traits

Competitiveness 1

Competitiveness and effort is outstanding in every aspect of the game. Not very big or overpowering as a runner, but he runs hard, uses good pad level and bounces off of a lot of would-be-tacklers like a pinball. Feet are seemingly always moving. Displays good ball security. Plays the game with a non-stop motor.

Vision 2

Decisive runner. Doesn't dance in the backfield. Only issue here is that he tends to bounce some runs outside when it's unnecessary. He displays excellent peripheral vision in the open field, though. Knows when he has the angle as a runner and when it's time to cut against the grain.

Explosiveness 2

Very good initial quickness. Bursts through the line of scrimmage. Shows some elusiveness in space. Will make defenders miss more often than not when in one-on-one situations. Only concern in this facet of his game is the lack of an elite second-gear. He gets from 0-to-60 miles-per-hour very quickly but that's where he tops off.

Balance/Change-of-Directions 2

Is shifty. Displays a very good center of gravity. Doesn't give defenders much of a target to hit. His balance is exceptional. Shows rare ability to take a hit, recover before a knee/elbow touches the turf, and then quickly regain his burst heading north. (see: 3rd quarter TD run with 13:04 remaining versus Vanderbilt). Moreno also makes himself small behind the offensive line and is very difficult to find because he changes direction and gets up-the-field so quickly.

Passing Game 2

Underrated receiver. Good instincts as a route runner. Soft hands. Can adjust to poorly thrown ball. Can find the ball over his shoulder (see: TD reception versus Michigan State in Capital One Bowl) and also can catch the ball thrown over his head. Aggressive in pass pro. Looks to initiate contact. Is a bit undersized and will be overmatched physically on occasion, but he's willing and tough. Mixes in effective cut blocks and keeps blitzers guessing.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

honz
04-26-2009, 03:01 AM
McShay breaks down Moreno.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4094466

xzn
04-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Honz, good job posting all these links. The Mc Shay one doesn't work though...

honz
04-26-2009, 03:21 AM
Honz, good job posting all these links. The Mc Shay one doesn't work though...
Being bored at 2:00 AM will make you do very productive things! You sure that link doesn't work though? It works for me.

xzn
04-26-2009, 03:30 AM
It didn't when I tried before but it does now!

Again, cool stuff....

West
04-26-2009, 03:39 AM
KNOWSHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the pick. He is gonna bring a swagger to the O that is not present in the AFC West. I have not seen someone who runs the ball like he does in my lifetime. He is simply unbelievable!!!!

dogfish
04-26-2009, 05:04 AM

Is his 40 time for real? 4.62? I like how the scouting report says he "gets to top speed extremely quick". When you run a 4.62, it doesn't take much.

quick question: what was the 40 time of the last georgia back we drafted?

Reidman
04-26-2009, 05:24 AM
I assume McDaniels is looking for the next featured back which we really haven't seen for some time.

Not having seen this guy play however I will reserve my 2 cents on whether it was a good pick or not. Hope it pans out.

TXBRONC
04-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Not my top choice...but then my top 3 were gone in TJax, Raji and Maybin. Regardless of our defensive needs, we did get a great RB. Many bitch that we haven't had a real RB since Portis, so now we do...so no more crying about that. And for the Orton haters, he now has another weapon to take some pressure off of him.

Same here for the most part. I wanted either Raji or Jackson. Maybin not so much but the other two I was gung-ho about. I still thought that with Raji and Jackson gone we would still go defense.

I know people will say being a hater but I was disappointed that McDaniels didn't do much for the defensive line.

Hawgdriver
04-26-2009, 06:16 AM
quick question: what was the 40 time of the last georgia back we drafted?

Speaking of slow 40 times, does anyone remember Jerry Rice's time in the forty yard dash? Receivers are faster than running backs, right?

claymore
04-26-2009, 06:34 AM
I love both offensive picks. They were both rated as great blockers. Ortons going to have a clean jersey this year.

BigDaddyBronco
04-26-2009, 07:09 AM
Speaking of slow 40 times, does anyone remember Jerry Rice's time in the forty yard dash? Receivers are faster than running backs, right?

I saw a 10 best Draft Trades and they had one on Jerry Rice. Bill Walsh (I think) said, "Sure he didn't have an ideal 40 time, but when do you run 40 yards straight down the field?"

Funny stuff.

Zweems56
04-26-2009, 09:11 AM
So we drafted a guy I played against in high school. Thats a pretty cool thing to say.

Overtime
04-26-2009, 09:24 AM
stupid decision. we got NoShow Moreno, and he won't do jack. worthless. our team sucks.

jrelway
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
i liked the knowshon and ayers pick, but what was up with the rest of the picks? 2 corners with our half assed line aint gonna do shit. and a TE. mother ****!

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 02:07 PM
The more and more I think about this pick...I like it...

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/knowshon-moreno-jumps-hurdles-defender.jpg

Tned
04-26-2009, 02:13 PM

Ditto

claymore
04-26-2009, 02:14 PM

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/knowshon-moreno-jumps-hurdles-defender.jpg

Ditto

Welcome to the wagon. Here Is a schlitz lite for you Mo, and a Bartles and James for you Tned. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 02:14 PM
and how!

Benetto
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
stupid decision. we got NoShow Moreno, and he won't do jack. worthless. our team sucks.

Don't overwhelm us with reasons why the Broncos suck :sarcasm:

Find another team to root for...Simple..

xzn
04-26-2009, 04:32 PM
You shall KnowShon the truth... and the truth shall set thee free!

Hawgdriver
04-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the wagon. Here Is a schlitz lite for you Mo, and a Bartles and James for you Tned. :D

:laugh::laugh:

Benetto
04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I am kinda slow today...With it being Sunday and all...

I just realized Terrell Davis and Knowshon are both Georgia Alums...

xzn
04-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I am kinda slow today...With it being Sunday and all...

I just realized Terrell Davis and Knowshon are both Georgia Alums...

And Herchell Walker!

Herchell wore 34.

Champ and Knowshon are both 24.

TD was 30

merge those and let Knowshon wear 34 :cool:

xzn
04-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Benetto, that is a tite avatar . . . :first:

Benetto
04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Benetto, that is a tite avatar . . . :first:

I can say the same about yours.

Benetto
04-26-2009, 05:17 PM
IT wasn't a mistake taking DJ Williams :coffee:
I was saying, taking DJ over Steven jackson was a mistake...Imagine if we had Steven Jackson going into the AFC Championship game instead of MA.

People can say whatever the heck they want to, THAT was a mistake.

Hawgdriver
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I see you both have adopted Moreno. Are you married? I sense a bitter custody battle in the making.

Benetto
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I see you both have adopted Moreno. Are you married? I sense a bitter custody battle in the making.

It doesn't matter, Moreno will buy us both new houses if it doesn't work out.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 05:57 PM
I can say the same about yours.

Me too if I could f-ing see it. A lil small there.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 05:57 PM

I wonder which one of em will "drive the hawg"...

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Moreno behind one of the best olines in the NFL, with Marshall and Royal on the outsides.

We may not need a QB after all.

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Moreno behind one of the best olines in the NFL, with Marshall and Royal on the outsides.

For Knowshon to truly be successful, the offensive line will have to really improve their run blocking. The offensive line was stellar last year, but in the red zone, they struggled pushing opposing defenses off the line, because inside the red zone, you can't rely on quick draws and sweeps.

Oh...wait...what is that...criticism from Missouribronc. :noidea:

Timmy!
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
For Knowshon to truly be successful, the offensive line will have to really improve their run blocking. The offensive line was stellar last year, but in the red zone, they struggled pushing opposing defenses off the line, because inside the red zone, you can't rely on quick draws and sweeps.

Don't look now MO, but that might be why we got another good blocking TE in Quinn. Shhhhhh. ;)

Nomad
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM

It's a fair assessment!

MOtorboat
04-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't look now MO, but that might be why we got another good blocking TE in Quinn. Shhhhhh. ;)

That actually was a questionable pick...but unlike most around here, I'm not condemning it until I watch an actual game.

P.S. I'm also not saying it was a good pick.

honz
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Blocking doesn't win football games. Overrated USC linebackers and rocket arms do.

Italianmobstr7
04-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Plus now we have 2 blocking TE's too. It'll be like having 7 offensive lineman out there. I'm predicting a BIG year for Knowshon!

Benetto
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
I know I will buy my Moreno jersey once his number is revealed.

Timmy!
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
That actually was a questionable pick...but unlike most around here, I'm not condemning it until I watch an actual game.

P.S. I'm also not saying it was a good pick.

I didn't like it either, but I can see the benefit of having more beef in the jumbo package for actually getting TD's in the redzone. So I'll judge it based on results.

claymore
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM

I can never buy a jersey again, nor can I pick up Broncos in Fantasy. I am a jinx. :pout:

dogfish
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM

i actually thought we did pretty well punching it in from the red zone when we had pittman or hillis running it in those situations. . . and knowshon is MUCH more of a hardnosed inside runner than either selvin or tater, size notwithstanding. . . . i think we'll be okay in that area. . . .

two other things that i thought REALLY killed our red zone productivity last year were penalties and questionable playcalling. . . how many drives spluttered around the ten or fifteen because we took a holding call and then had to try to punch it in from first and twenty? i remember more than several. . .

i also thought we painfully underutilized the fade to marshall, and could have been far more successful if we'd tried to forcefeed him a little but more and take advantage of that big frame. . . when it's executed properly it's almost impossible to intercept, and tough for the safety to get all the way to the corner of the end zone to provide help over the top. . . why not try to isolate your biggest target against a smaller corner? it's not rocket science. . . the G-men used to throw a fade to plex virtually every time the got down there, it's why he had like twelve TDs in '07. . .

i think that just tightening up those two areas should really improve our efficiency in that facet of the game. . . .

Benetto
04-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I can never buy a jersey again, nor can I pick up Broncos in Fantasy. I am a jinx. :pout:

Poor bastage....I was this close to buying a Cutler Jersey, then we drafted Eddie royal and he won us the SD game...

Moreno will be a Bronco for years to come...Unless he wants to be paid LT money in the future.

claymore
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Poor bastage....I was this close to buying a Cutler Jersey, then we drafted Eddie royal and he won us the SD game...

Moreno will be a Bronco for years to come...Unless he wants to be paid LT money in the future.

If he earns LT money I say give it to him!

nevcraw
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
In a perfect world they woul pair him with Hillis and the rest of the guys can fight it out for splinter removal duty..

Broncolingus
04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Knowshon Moreno...

Seems like a good pick - right now...

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I pick second in my dynasty league.

Who do ya see gouin first? Crabtree in SF, Wells who has the rock to himself in Zona or Moreno?

Italianmobstr7
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM

You can actually buy it already, and they'll send the jersey after they finalize the number. It's on the Broncos pro shop right now. They even have the Original AFL one!

dogfish
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I pick second in my dynasty league.

Who do ya see gouin first? Crabtree in SF, Wells who has the rock to himself in Zona or Moreno?

i'd absolutely take knowshon, no question. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM

I gotta try and trade up...

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Knowshon and Hillis in the backfield on 3rd and 4.
Marshall out wide right, Royal left and McKinley in the slot.

If you are the DC, who is getting the ball?
Play fake to Hillis?
Hillis lead block give the ball to Moreno?
Play action to either one and hit Marshall, Royal, or McKinley?

Our offense is deep!!!!
Knowshon makes this offense 10X better than last year. We might actually be better in than 16th in the league in scoring. :D

West
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't really understand the grumpyness over the sub par 40 by Knowshon.. He makes up for it with his vision, toughness, agility and blocking. I will take that all day long over a burner. Knowshon is a freak of nature and I can not be any happier than I am right now knowing that he is a Bronco. :salute:

West
04-26-2009, 07:30 PM

Play fake to Hillis?

Our offense is deep!!!!
Knowshon makes this offense 10X better than last year. We might actually be better in than 16th in the league in scoring. :D

Not to be 'that guy' but it'd be a whole lot sweeter if Jay Cutler was handing the ball off or throwing the ball.

shank
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Not to be 'that guy' but it'd be a whole lot sweeter if Jay Cutler was handing the ball off or throwing the ball.

it would be, but it won't be. i've moved on and the aforementioned situation still sounds pretty damned sweet.

silkamilkamonico
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Even sweeter yet if it was John Elway.

John Elway
Knowshon Moreno
Eddie Royal
Brandon Marshall
Kenny McKinley

behind one of the best oline's in the NFL.

shank
04-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Play fake to Hillis?

Our offense is deep!!!!

as much as i like the mckinley pick, don't forget stokely. dude is absolutely clutch.

shank
04-26-2009, 07:38 PM

John Elway
Knowshon Moreno
Eddie Royal
Brandon Marshall
Kenny McKinley

it would be EVEN SWEETER if all of them had lasers attached to their helmets and rockets on their shoes :D

Italianmobstr7
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't really understand the grumpyness over the sub par 40 by Knowshon.. He makes up for it with his vision, toughness, agility and blocking. I will take that all day long over a burner. Knowshon is a freak of nature and I can not be any happier than I am right now knowing that he is a Bronco. :salute:

And he still ran a 4.5. It's not like that's slow...

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 08:11 PM

John Elway
Knowshon Moreno
Eddie Royal
Brandon Marshall
Kenny McKinley

Even sweeter if they were all 7'0, 350lbs, had moves like Barry Sanders, and the Speed and Power of Bo Jackson.

But it ain't happening.

At this point we got to just use and work with what we got...and oh ya SHaw..totally forgot abot Stokley...he is clutch. :beer:

xzn
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Me too if I could f-ing see it. A lil small there.

I know. I wish I knew how to fix that. Any thoughts? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler! :welcome:

honz
04-26-2009, 08:48 PM
I know. I wish I knew how to fix that. Any thoughts? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler! :welcome:
Create a photobucket or imageshack account, upload it, and enlarge it.

weazel
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I know everyone wanted some DL help and that would have been great, but we got ourselves a damn good running back! I am pretty happy with this pick, just wondering which RB's are getting released

Hawgdriver
04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I wonder which one of em will "drive the hawg"...

The one without the Y chromosome. :cool:

Hawgdriver
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM

that will never happen because I draft before you.

Watchthemiddle
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I know everyone wanted some DL help and that would have been great, but we got ourselves a damn good running back! I am pretty happy with this pick, just wondering which RB's are getting released

Not sure, but it should make for awesome competition in camp and bring out the best in everyone...:beer:

getlynched47
04-26-2009, 10:47 PM

omac
04-27-2009, 02:31 AM
I won't say what people hope won't happen this season. :D

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I won't say what people hope won't happen this season. :D

Maybe it will all just go away. ;)

GEM
04-27-2009, 09:51 AM

No kidding it would be....but that's not the way it is. If both sides were a bit more mature we might have been able to see that happen. Unfortunately you are dealing with egos. So we are left with what we are left with. Go Broncos. :salute:

claymore
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
No kidding it would be....but that's not the way it is. If both sides were a bit more mature we might have been able to see that happen. Unfortunately you are dealing with egos. So we are left with what we are left with. Go Broncos. :salute:

People would have rioted if Cutler was still here and we went Moreno in the first.

GEM
04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
People would have rioted if Cutler was still here and we went Moreno in the first.

Yep, but this is how the offseason has played out....do we keep dwelling on what could have been or do we move on with what we have now?

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Speaking of Moreno, I wonder just how much of the work load he is going to be asked to carry?

GEM
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Speaking of Moreno, I wonder just how much of the work load he is going to be asked to carry?

To go along with that, I wonder who is going to be the 2 in that 1-2 punch. Exciting times to be a Broncos fan. :D

It all just depends on your prerogative I guess.

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
To go along with that, I wonder who is going to be the 2 in that 1-2 punch. Exciting times to be a Broncos fan. :D

I hope it's Hillis, I think the two of them could make a very running tandem.

Rick
04-27-2009, 10:08 AM

Its just cool that for the first time since CP we actually have a true 1 in that 2 punch combo.

For years we have had legitimate 2s...

claymore
04-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I hope it's Hillis, I think the two of them could make a very running tandem.

I think Hillis can be a GREAT FB, and a marginal HB. I want to see the kid remain at full back.

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I think Hillis can be a GREAT FB, and a marginal HB. I want to see the kid remain at full back.

I could see Hillis being both. As fullback in this offense he more than likely would see the field much.

xzn
04-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Hillis can be a single back in some formations, FB in two back sets and even a versatile H-back who can run or pass block plus be a threat to catch and run after the catch.

I gotta think he is why Tony S. is expendable for the right price.

Dortoh
04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
A great value pick IMO you dont reach for talent in round 1.

We did plenty of reaching in round 2

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Hillis can be a single back in some formations, FB in two back sets and even a versatile H-back who can run or pass block plus be a threat to catch and run after the catch.

I gotta think he is why Tony S. is expendable for the right price.

It wouldn't surprise me Hillis' versatility figures into the equation but as much as anything I think Tony's availability has to do with his weakness as a blocker.

CoachChaz
04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
A great value pick IMO you dont reach for talent in round 1.

We did plenty of reaching in round 2

That's where I disagree. If Smith were 2 inches taller, he'd be a definite first rounder.

McBath is a former CB and makes plays.

Both are team guys that are ballhawks and make plays all over the place and both have pretty good teachers (Champ/Dawk) to help them progress. Say what will be said about these 2 guys, but in the long run, I think our 2nd round was very good...save Quinn. That one just baffles me

underrated29
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
moreno and jordan are the 1-2 punch.

Dortoh
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
That's where I disagree. If Smith were 2 inches taller, he'd be a definite first rounder.

McBath is a former CB and makes plays.

Both are team guys that are ballhawks and make plays all over the place and both have pretty good teachers (Champ/Dawk) to help them progress. Say what will be said about these 2 guys, but in the long run, I think our 2nd round was very good...save Quinn. That one just baffles me

This is funny you and me are usually on the same page. Slowish, shortish college ballhawks dont translate well to the NFL. Of course I hope to eat a huge ass bowl of crow :)

Quinn I like the pick just think we spent too much to move up and get him. Blocking te's are a premium in McD's offense. Love the pick just hate the position of the pick.

turftoad
04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
This is funny you and me are usually on the same page. Slowish, shortish college ballhawks dont translate well to the NFL. Of course I hope to eat a huge ass bowl of crow :)

Quinn I like the pick just think we spent too much to move up and get him. Blocking te's are a premium in McD's offense. Love the pick just hate the position of the pick.

Toatally agree. Blocking TE's may be a premium in McD's offense but not in many other teams offenses. Thus, we took him too early and gave up a bunch. I really don't think anyone was going to take him ahead of our 3rd round picks.

Ravage!!!
04-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Toatally agree. Blocking TE's may be a premium in McD's offense but not in many other teams offenses. Thus, we took him too early and gave up a bunch. I really don't think anyone was going to take him ahead of our 3rd round picks.

I agree with this. We could have just used one of our thirds for him rather than give up both to take him in the second. Was a move, imo, made by an over-anxious young coach that just wanted to get the guy HE wanted, and felt that was more important than the picks he used up to get him.

As far as Smith.... I'm with Dortoh on this. We can't say "if he was 2 inches taller".... because he's not. Even if he would have projected to be a first round talent, would he actually have projected to be a top 10 talent??? I don't think so. His speed is still un-exceptional to say the least. So spending, what will probably be, a top 10 1st round pick on a bottom first round talent (if that at all).... still is losing value.

Again.. I think its a young coach not really looking into value and purely going UP to get the name he wants. Some will say thats great, others will point out that you MUST be fluid during a draft and not purely 'rigid' to your board.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Really, this was a low risk-high reward pick.

Runningbacks that are dominant in the league tend to players that can stay healthy for 16 games and have talent. Just think about it...LaDanian Tomlinson, Larry Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis, Matt Forte...what do they have in common? They can stay healthy for 16 game seasons in addition to the playoffs and contribute with their talent (LT's slipping now though, and now just because he's been having injuries he is looked as washed up)...

Moreno is Mr. Durable.........he's only had around 500 carries his entire career so he's got low mileage. And his cutting ability and vision is premium.

BroncoWave
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Really, this was a low risk-high reward pick.

Runningbacks that are dominant in the league tend to players that can stay healthy for 16 games and have talent. Just think about it...LaDanian Tomlinson, Larry Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis, Matt Forte...what do they have in common? They can stay healthy for 16 game seasons in addition to the playoffs and contribute with their talent (LT's slipping now though, and now just because he's been having injuries he is looked as washed up)...

Moreno is Mr. Durable.........he's only had around 500 carries his entire career so he's got low mileage. And his cutting ability and vision is premium.

I love Matt Forte as a player and as a person in the brief times I've met him but I'm not ready to put him up with those guys yet until he repeats that success over a 16 game season. He did get a pretty bad injury one year at Tulane so we'll see if he can maintain good health in Chicago. And I hope as well that Moreno can reach that level. He definitely has the drive and the potential. I'm friends with several UGA fans and they all say he is one of the hardest working players they have ever seen and if he somehow did fail, it wouldn't be due to lack of effort.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I love Matt Forte as a player and as a person in the brief times I've met him but I'm not ready to put him up with those guys yet until he repeats that success over a 16 game season. He did get a pretty bad injury one year at Tulane so we'll see if he can maintain good health in Chicago. And I hope as well that Moreno can reach that level. He definitely has the drive and the potential. I'm friends with several UGA fans and they all say he is one of the hardest working players they have ever seen and if he somehow did fail, it wouldn't be due to lack of effort.

That's really reassuring. I don't see how Moreno fails...the only way it happens is (knock on wood) the friggin injury bug.

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
That's really reassuring. I don't see how Moreno fails...the only way it happens is (knock on wood) the friggin injury bug.

I believe he will stay injury free. I think there is a difference between playing career backups and an udfa and a 1st round pick. I really have nothing to back that up, just a feeling.

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 10:03 PM

Before we drafted him I had no idea who he was.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Quinn was projected by many people to be a late second to third round selection. Teams that employ power running attacks would have swallowed him up.

ikillz0mbies
04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
With Moreno now at the RB helm, does McDaniels still go with a RBBC? If so, Moreno can be kept fresh and what not while using backs like Hillis, Arrington, and Jordan.

honz
04-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Quinn was projected by many people to be a late second to third round selection. Teams that employ power running attacks would have swallowed him up.

I like the sound of that, but where are you getting this from? If this is true, I will feel much better about trading up. Also, if you watch video of his combine performance at NFL.com, he owned the gauntlet drill. He can definitely catch the ball, but we'll have to see if he knows how to get open.

Here's the link to that video: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f2e13a

TXBRONC
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
With Moreno now at the RB helm, does McDaniels still go with a RBBC? If so, Moreno can be kept fresh and what not while using backs like Hillis, Arrington, and Jordan.

I wouldn't be surprised to still see RBBC but I also would not be surprised if Moreno get significantly more carries than any of the other backs.

ikillz0mbies
04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to still see RBBC but I also would not be surprised if Moreno get significantly more carries than any of the other backs.

That too would be my guess as well. Moreno would be the featured back, but would still have fresh legs because of the other RB's spelling him. Moreno will definitely be here for the long run!

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 10:29 PM

I think Moreno could be effective with 10-15 carries per game.

That way we keep him fresh, his career is prolonged, and he becomes the best back in Broncos history.

COMarc
04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
I think this is a great pick. I'm a Georgia Tech grad, so I've seen Moreno as the enemy RB in the Tech-Georgia games while he's been there. He's dangerous as heck. In college, every run is a threat to go long. And when he's not breaking it deep, he's busting 8 or 10 yard runs on you all the time. People focus on Stafford and the GA passing game, but it all works so well because of the threat of Moreno running the ball. Of course, you wind that back in the pros. Not as many breakaways, eight yard gains become 4 yard gains. But still, he'll hit a hole hard and get 5 yards before the defense knows it. And the breakaway threat is still there and must be respected by the defense.

And I'm so happy to finally see Denver use a decent draft pick on a running back. Denver always wants to run the ball, always says running is important, but then they'd never go get a running back. Finally, they got a running back.

Actually, two running backs, as Jordan ain't bad either. I like the idea of Jordan coming off the bench for about 10 carries a game to spell Moreno. But, Moreno is going to get a lot of carries. To me, the position was dang near empty last year. Now that McDaniels is working to finally get some RBs finally, expect those guys to play a lot. Last year's RBs can maybe try to prove they are NFL caliber and toughness. Guys that run nice for a few carries and then break don't help a team. Moreno spelled by Jordan is what you are going to see a lot of this year.

shank
04-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I think Moreno could be effective with 10-15 carries per game.

That way we keep him fresh, his career is prolonged, and he becomes the best back in Broncos history.

i really WANT RBBC now. an almost 50/50 mix of moreno and hillis sounds ideal to me. keep both guys fresh and healthy all season long. i say hillis because a) he's the best compliment that we have to moreno's quickness b) he's a badass and c) he's my adopted bronco. let's get both of them over 1000 yards.

getlynched47
04-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Do you wanna hear something very interesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXikXO5l77g&feature=related
3:30

Herm Edwards gives his assessment of Josh McDaniels. Oh, you can also hear Mel Kiper Jr's assessment of Moreno just in case you were watching NFL Network.

Zweems56
04-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Do you wanna hear something very interesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXikXO5l77g&feature=related
3:30

Herm Edwards gives his assessment of Josh McDaniels. Oh, you can also hear Mel Kiper Jr's assessment of Moreno just in case you were watching NFL Network.

You call that INTERESTING? Interesting would have been him supporting mcdaniels. Everyone and their mother has called mcdaniels an idiot for what happeend with cutler. :protest:

Hawgdriver
04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I like the sound of that, but where are you getting this from? If this is true, I will feel much better about trading up. Also, if you watch video of his combine performance at NFL.com, he owned the gauntlet drill. He can definitely catch the ball, but we'll have to see if he knows how to get open.

Here's the link to that video: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f2e13a

dude's a gamer. he's focused in the moment.

BroncoWave
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
You call that INTERESTING? Interesting would have been him supporting mcdaniels. Everyone and their mother has called mcdaniels an idiot for what happeend with cutler. :protest:

Herm Edwards calling any coach an idiot is quite comical!

ChampWJ
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
i really WANT RBBC now. an almost 50/50 mix of moreno and hillis sounds ideal to me. keep both guys fresh and healthy all season long. i say hillis because a) he's the best compliment that we have to moreno's quickness b) he's a badass and c) he's my adopted bronco. let's get both of them over 1000 yards.

RBBC is usually a safe plan to keep your 1 fresh and healthy, but I have a feeling once some of the fans here see Knowshon on the field, they will want him on the field every down. I'm hoping for him to get ideally 75% of the offensive snaps but I do think the Broncos will limit his snaps to get Buckhalter and Hillis on the field.

Ravage!!!
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
The Indy Colts GM... the team that is one of the best drafting team in the NFL.... said they drafted a RB inthe first because.. and I quote... "if you look back to the year we won the Super Bowl, we were a 'true' two back running team."

The RBBC is the newest trend in the NFL, simply because keeping a RB healthy and going full speed for 16+ games is hard.

I'm looking forward to seeing what moreno brings to the game. Can't help but be super excited to have his talent here.

TXBRONC
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
RBBC is usually a safe plan to keep your 1 fresh and healthy, but I have a feeling once some of the fans here see Knowshon on the field, they will want him on the field every down. I'm hoping for him to get ideally 75% of the offensive snaps but I do think the Broncos will limit his snaps to get Buckhalter and Hillis on the field.

In his two years as starter at Georgia Moreno averaged around 20 carries per game.

Nomad
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM

Of what I saw in the Georgia games I watched last year, you're correct.

I was watching NFLN yesterday evening and they had a segment on Moreno with TDs opinion. He said he'll be a special back but the only thing that concerns him is how Moreno has his body at times in ackward positions. He mentioned he believes Moreno is highly likely to be injured if he doesn't correct this especially as he gets older. I'm not sure what he was talking about but Moreno will be a special back!!

MOtorboat
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Of what I saw in the Georgia games I watched last year, you're correct.

I was watching NFLN yesterday evening and they had a segment on Moreno with TDs opinion. He said he'll be a special back but the only thing that concerns him is how Moreno has his body at times in ackward positions. He mentioned he believes Moreno is highly likely to be injured if he doesn't correct this especially as he gets older. I'm not sure what he was talking about but Moreno will be a special back!!

IMO...a lot of the spin moves and flashy things that he did in college, like that hurdle (which was awesome), or that dive into the endzone they always play on ESPN where he got up and knew right where the camera was...will get his head taken off in the NFL (especially the hurdle and the spin move). That actually has me a little worried about him.

Nomad
04-28-2009, 02:06 PM
IMO...a lot of the spin moves and flashy things that he did in college, like that hurdle (which was awesome), or that dive into the endzone they always play on ESPN where he got up and knew right where the camera was...will get his head taken off in the NFL (especially the hurdle and the spin move). That actually has me a little worried about him.

Yeah, the hurdle move was one he referenced to because he said if he'd done it, he would have more than likely tore a groin muscle. I believe you're correct in what he was referencing too.

T.K.O.
04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
i think a back like moreno will add a whole new dimension to our team,we have struggled for years now trying to finish drives. having a legit running threat anywhere within 20 yds from the endzone should allow us to open up the playbook ,making ortons job a helluva lot easier as he is sharp with short quick passes !
were gonna be alot better than alot of people think....did i say alot,alot?

Skacorica
04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Has anyone been watching the interviews with Moreno? I will be honest: I hated the pick, but the more I learn about the guy, the happier I am we picked him. Hes obviously got great talent but even more than that, listening to him he talks about working hard (and hes very well spoken), improving the team, proving himself and more working hard. I love that attitude.

Another point: after reading the scouting report on him about how he could have been top 5 except for his 'slow 40 times.' Anyone who has actually done a combine of any sort knows how arbitrary the timing is and how ridiculous they are about hundredths of seconds (see Easterbrooks columns on ESPN.com about it). If our only concern ends up being that he occasionally runs 2/10 of a second slower than expected then we are in the money.... whoever made the comment about the jerseys is probably spot on; I am fighting the urge to order one ASAP.

CrazyHorse
05-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Isn't a vertical jump of 25 inches pretty weak?

Benetto
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QMkZiSt-xw

Great highlight reel of Knowshon...Check it out...Also notice the Heisman pose at 2:50...Gave me goosebumps.