PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Altitude

SmilinAssasSin27
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Over the past few months, I've noticed some references to the idea that one potential reason why Denver won't invest either high picks or big money in the DT position is due to the altitude in Denver. Some believe that a solid rotation is the way to go due to the fact that most DTs, no matter how good, can not play every down during our home games. It's impossible to maximize the high pick or price tag. As a result, we don't sign hogs or invest heavily in any 1 DT.

The idea seems to have some merit. I'm not 100% convinced, but it has been a LONG time, and a few different regimes in charge, since we really invested in any 1 individual at the position.

Discuss...

dogfish
04-06-2012, 05:58 PM
i think the theory that a DT killed bowlen's family is more likely. . . .

HORSEPOWER 56
04-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Over the past few months, I've noticed some references to the idea that one potential reason why Denver won't invest either high picks or big money in the DT position is due to the altitude in Denver. Some believe that a solid rotation is the way to go due to the fact that most DTs, no matter how good, can not play every down during our home games. It's impossible to maximize the high pick or price tag. As a result, we don't sign hogs or invest heavily in any 1 DT.

The idea seems to have some merit. I'm not 100% convinced, but it has been a LONG time, and a few different regimes in charge, since we really invested in any 1 individual at the position.

Discuss...

I don't think there's much stock in that. Everyone in the league rotates their D-line, especially in Denver. It shouldn't mean that we don't invest in the position because we will rotate it. If that's the case, why not just fill the position with UDFAs every season who cost the league minimum and swap them out every year to save money. Why would we have spent a shitload of money on people like the Browncos and Dewayne Robertson, Darryl Gardener, Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan (the first time), etc if we just wanted scrubs to rotate? Why spend a lot on the O-line? They're just big fatties who wear down in the altitude too, right?

No, Denver just doesn't see DT as a "premium" position and they haven't since Dan Reeves was the HC. I don't know why they ignore it in the draft and then always try to sign big-money, over-the-hill, broken down, pieces of crap to play the position who NEVER pan out... we just do.

If anything, I think the altitude rots the brains of the Broncos FO into thinking that DTs can easily be found cheap in FA and that a 34 year old DT coming off a major injury is worth top dollar but a 26 year old one coming off a career year isn't... You guys do know that we're paying Ty Warren what the Saints are paying Bunkley (per year), right? Yes, we're that retarded.

Jsteve01
04-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Discuss...

If that is the case then why did the last tackle we drafted in the first play so well? and why have we had such good luck with interior O-linemen over the years. I'm not buying.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2012, 06:55 PM
If that is the case then why did the last tackle we drafted in the first play so well? and why have we had such good luck with interior O-linemen over the years. I'm not buying.

I am not buying it either - having lived here all my my life, I think the high altitude is over exaggerated. when it comes to sports. Every player on defense or offense is suppose to be active on every play, not just DTs.

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Unless the altitude has a cumulative effect I don't see why this would hinder the Broncos any more than the team they're playing. Especially now that there is only 14 padded practices during the season. If anything this theory would make me want to invest even more often in positions that would seem most effected.......

Rick
04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I am pretty sure we have invested high picks on OL and they are every bit as fat as the DT, don't think the theory holds water. I think we just suck at getting DTs.

wayninja
04-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Can we at least rotate good DT's?

dogfish
04-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Can we at least rotate good DT's?

no-- stop asking. . .

:welcome:

wayninja
04-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Oh... well, then, can we at least get hotcarl to suggest we all kill ourselves?