PDA

View Full Version : Stafford Signed!!

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Just saw it on nfl.com

Stafford strikes deal with Lions
Georgia QB Matthew Stafford will be the No. 1 overall pick after agreeing to a six-year deal with the Detroit Lions, NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports. The contract has $41.7 million guaranteed but can be worth up to $78 million.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Rams on the clock. I think the next 10 picks after Detroit should be on offense.

That way we can have our pick on defense :coffee: Wouldn't that be a perfect world...

Skinny
04-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Fall Curry, fall. :D

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Fall Curry, fall. :D

ive been hearing all day that it could happen. that would be really crazy...i say go ILB with 18. we would have a sick LB core and could look for dt's and de's in rounds 2,3,4.

BroncoWave
04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
C'mon Curry, go smoke a blunt in Goodell's front yard tonight so your stock will fall! :D

Buff
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
This definitely rules out Sanchez. No way he makes it past #8.

Skinny
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I like Sintim and Cushing around #18.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 10:31 PM
C'mon Curry, go smoke a blunt in Goodell's front yard tonight so your stock will fall! :D

I'll even roll it up for him....err..........forget I said that...

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I like Sintim and Cushing around #18.

Tyson Jackson at 12

Clint Sintim at 18

That's the way to go if I was GM...two very safe picks that can make impacts.

Skinny
04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Good, solid picks.

shank
04-24-2009, 10:38 PM

8 is still too close for comfort. i really hope he doesn't make it past the seahawks.

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 10:55 PM

if he makes it to 8 then just remember it has been reported that jacksonville might want to trade with us. i agree, its too close to comfort. id like to see him off the board by then. it will only push down someone we really need.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 10:56 PM
http://dixieugadawg.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/matt-stafford-and-uga-vii.jpg

"Nice kitty kitty"

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/backporch.fanhouse.com/media/2008/12/bobbylaynelions.jpg

Stafford = Joey Harrington 2.0 :coffee:

Tned
04-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Tyson Jackson at 12

Clint Sintim at 18

That's the way to go if I was GM...two very safe picks that can make impacts.

Everything I have been hearing the last few days say that Jackson has risen up the draft boards in the last week and a half and could easily go in the top 5.

ive been hearing all day that it could happen. that would be really crazy...i say go ILB with 18. we would have a sick LB core and could look for dt's and de's in rounds 2,3,4.

The DL is a much bigger need than ILB. DJ and Davis can man the middle in credible fashion, but there are MAJOR question marks at all three D-line positions.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't think the Chiefs pass on Curry and take Jackson. So I think Jackson falls to us at 12.... I hope we take Rey Rey at 18.

Tned
04-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't think the Chiefs pass on Curry and take Jackson. So I think Jackson falls to us at 12.... I hope we take Rey Rey at 18.

On NFL.com, in their final mock, 3 of the 4 have KC taking Jackson, with the 4th guy having him fall to Denver. Kiper also has him now at #3.

As I posted earlier, all the talk of the last week or so is that Jackson has shot up the draft boards and was unlikely to drop out of the top 5, and very unlikely to fall all the way to 12.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 11:15 PM

yuck. I am so not a fan of Rey Maualuga. He's only a 2-down linebacker, and we need an outside linebacker, not an inside. McDaniels said at his presser that DJ Williams and Andra Davis are the starters in the middle. We need a pass rusher like Clint Sintim. He's the most experienced in a 3-4

shank
04-24-2009, 11:15 PM

can i give you half of a high five?

shank
04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
On NFL.com, in their final mock, 3 of the 4 have KC taking Jackson, with the 4th guy having him fall to Denver. Kiper also has him now at #3.

As I posted earlier, all the talk of the last week or so is that Jackson has shot up the draft boards and was unlikely to drop out of the top 5, and very unlikely to fall all the way to 12.

the thing that still has me hopefull is that jackson to KC is only the popular thought of the last 3 days... seriously. everyone and their mom had them taking curry until a few days ago. if i was a chiefs fan and they passed on curry citing vrabel as the reason, i would be pissed.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2009, 11:19 PM

Yeah...but I don't see it. Curry is probably the best player in the draft... I just don't see the Chiefs passing on him. If Curry can fall to us after not going three, then I think Jackson has a much better shot. So thats what I see happening... I think Curry is taken at three, and jackson falling to 12.

honz
04-24-2009, 11:20 PM

Smokescreen? Plz?

Watchthemiddle
04-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Smokescreen? Plz?

I was just going to say that...much like I believe all of the Broncos/Sanchez talk is smokescreen as well.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2009, 11:23 PM
yuck. I am so not a fan of Rey Maualuga. He's only a 2-down linebacker, and we need an outside linebacker, not an inside. McDaniels said at his presser that DJ Williams and Andra Davis are the starters in the middle. We need a pass rusher like Clint Sintim. He's the most experienced in a 3-4

But the press conference, means absolute SQUAT. Seriously. What he says means nothing, and NO ONE should take anything he says as gospel. Why would we? Do you really think they are going to draft based on a statement they made in some meaningless press conference???

We DO need a MLB.... and our defense completely failed after the loss of our last stud MLB. I want Rey.... I think he's a player and a presence in the middle... one we haven't had for a while. I think he's a leader, and a motivator, and one that lifts the play around him.

Watchthemiddle
04-24-2009, 11:23 PM

I am a fan of Rey, but not sure we will get him.....that said, fan or not I would much rather land him than SD which I have seen a lot of Mocks having him go to. Him and Merriman on the field could cause problems I believe.

jrelway
04-24-2009, 11:45 PM
merriman and rey could spell disaster.

shank
04-24-2009, 11:55 PM
merriman and rey could spell disaster.

meh, rey won't even see the field against our spread offense. i HOPE the chargers get rey.

xzn
04-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Sintim would define REACH at 18.

broncohead
04-25-2009, 12:14 AM

why? He's been productive in the 3-4. Wasn't a 1 year wonder like a couple other defensive players that are projected to go there.

Italianmobstr7
04-25-2009, 12:33 AM
meh, rey won't even see the field against our spread offense. i HOPE the chargers get rey.

have you watched rey play? You're crazy for wanting the Chargers to draft him. He's a beast. I hope we grab him. He would instantly upgrade our lb corps and our run d.

shank
04-25-2009, 12:34 AM
have you watched rey play? You're crazy for wanting the Chargers to draft him. He's a beast. I hope we grab him. He would instantly upgrade our lb corps and our run d.

yes, i have watched rey play. no, i don't want him.

xzn
04-25-2009, 01:56 AM
why? He's been productive in the 3-4. Wasn't a 1 year wonder like a couple other defensive players that are projected to go there.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, I'm saying he'd be a reach @ 18. I've looked at dozens of mock drafts and prospect ratings and he's not close to a top twenty prospect.

I'd be pleased as punch to get him with our second round pick, or even if we had to trade up a little in the second.

xzn
04-25-2009, 01:57 AM

He decided that all the USC players, collectively, are "Douche Bags" ... that's good enough for him.

Don't ask him to clarify what that's supposed to mean :rolleyes:

shank
04-25-2009, 02:00 AM
He decided that all the USC players, collectively, are "Douche Bags" ... that's good enough for him.

Don't ask him to clarify what that's supposed to mean :rolleyes:

dude, are you kidding me? i have said like 5 times in the last half hour EXACTLY WHY i don't want to draft any of the backers from USC. the fact that i think they are all douches just adds to my reasoning from a subjective standpoint... there's no way you don't get that by now... you must just be trying to start an e-fight.

no. no... NO.

bcbronc
04-25-2009, 03:05 AM
I'm not saying he's not a good player, I'm saying he'd be a reach @ 18. I've looked at dozens of mock drafts and prospect ratings and he's not close to a top twenty prospect.

I'd be pleased as punch to get him with our second round pick, or even if we had to trade up a little in the second.

I don't really get this. you don't want to "reach" for the guy, but you're okay with giving up extra assets to move up and acquire him. why is "reaching" bad, but using two picks ok? I'd rather lose 12 spots of "value" and still get to add another player later.

imo people are much too generous with the "reach" label. if a guy isn't likely to be there for your next pick, it's not a reach if he's the best player on your board. come Sundays there is no more "draft value" just hits and misses. it doesn't make sense to say "Player X is the 30th ranked prospect so taking him at 18 is a reach" because not every prospect is going to make every teams board. the pundits don't leave players off their board because they're a bad system fit, or bring some character issues (might move them down the board, but not right off), or whatever else. but teams do.

I'd rather have a "reach" that hits, than "good value" that busts.

claymore
04-25-2009, 07:18 AM
I don't really get this. you don't want to "reach" for the guy, but you're okay with giving up extra assets to move up and acquire him. why is "reaching" bad, but using two picks ok? I'd rather lose 12 spots of "value" and still get to add another player later.

imo people are much too generous with the "reach" label. if a guy isn't likely to be there for your next pick, it's not a reach if he's the best player on your board. come Sundays there is no more "draft value" just hits and misses. it doesn't make sense to say "Player X is the 30th ranked prospect so taking him at 18 is a reach" because not every prospect is going to make every teams board. the pundits don't leave players off their board because they're a bad system fit, or bring some character issues (might move them down the board, but not right off), or whatever else. but teams do.

I'd rather have a "reach" that hits, than "good value" that busts.
I get what your saying, but I think he meant it would be more cost effective if we gave up a hypothetical #2, and #4 and got Ray vs using the #18 overall.

Nomad
04-25-2009, 07:52 AM
The 1st two picks, I would like to see a solid pass rusher and a solid run stopper, we all have our opinions whose the best but I hope our LB doesn't turn into Trev Alberts.

I was watching the top ten trades on the NFLN and SD sucked on offense and defense. They got Dree Brees/Rivers and LT and the next couple years concentrated on defense/special teams and now they own the BRONCOS, so I don't know....Can Sanchez and Moreno repeat this if they are selected to the BRONCOS:noidea:, then again they did have Marty S (I believe).What I have watched from the BRONCOS the last few years defense should be #1 priority but it has been proven you can take a solid QB and RB and build around them!!

So I don't give a crap anymore, just make this team better, competative and to the playoffs MCDANIELS.....may not be this year but at least the next!!!!!

BroncoJoe
04-25-2009, 08:06 AM
There will not be a holdout with the top pick in the 2009 NFL draft. The Detroit Lions and agents for Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford reached an agreement on a record-setting contract that will pay Stafford a guaranteed $41.7 million.

The six-year contract, worth $72 million with minimum playing time achieved by Stafford, could rise to $78 million with incentives.

The Stafford deal is a significant increase over last year's first-round pick, Jake Long, the tackle who was picked by the Miami Dolphins.

Long's deal averaged $10 million per year on minimum playing time, and $11.5 million per year achieving maximum incentives.

Stafford's deal is $12 million a year with minimum playing time and $13 million per year with incentives.

The Lions, who had a deal worth much less in place with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry if they couldn't reach a deal with Stafford, clearly wanted the quarterback all along. Coach Jim Schwartz, trying to turn around the fortunes of the 0-16 team, made it clear he valued the moxie and terrific arm strength of Stafford. General manager Martin Mayhew and COO Tom Lewand set out Wednesday to make a deal with Stafford. Friday night, shortly after 10:30 ET, the deal got done.

Barring a surprise move by a team seeking USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, the St. Louis Rams are expected to use the second pick in the draft to choose either Virginia offensive tackle Eugene Monroe or Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith -- and the pick likely will be Smith.

from si.com

McKeough
04-25-2009, 08:08 AM
If Curry fell to 12 (and two of the four mocks on NFL.com have him doing so, although I never really give these that much credibility.), I would be SO excited.

I've watched the guy play, and he's a monster. I'd totally be on the bandwagon with a jersey.

But on a side note, is anyone else absolutely SICKENED by the amount of money Stafford got? Sure, it was predictable, but God damn, the rookie contracts are getting SO out of hand.

42 million dollars GUARANTEED to a player who has never stepped onto and NFL field or played a single down.

And to play a game.

Absurd...

Nomad
04-25-2009, 08:12 AM
If Curry fell to 12 (and two of the four mocks on NFL.com have him doing so, although I never really give these that much credibility.), I would be SO excited.

I've watched the guy play, and he's a monster. I'd totally be on the bandwagon with a jersey.

But on a side note, is anyone else absolutely SICKENED by the amount of money Stafford got? Sure, it was predictable, but God damn, the rookie contracts are getting SO out of hand.

42 million dollars GUARANTEED to a player who has never stepped onto and NFL field or played a single down.

And to play a game.

Absurd...

They can't support themselves and their families with anything less!!;)

2Fity@The303
04-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Wow, that is some serious $Jack$....Further proof why you do not want the #1 overall pick- ESPECIALLY if you need a QB. Like the poster said above, absurd...

omac
04-25-2009, 08:21 AM

And to play a game.

Absurd...

I only have qualms with rookies getting so much more than proven veterans without having played a down in the NFL yet. I'm not against athletes getting an obscene amount of money; it's just a business, and they do bring in a lot of business, just like high paid actors do with movies. It's all entertainment.

silkamilkamonico
04-25-2009, 09:21 AM

And to play a game.

Absurd...

From a guy on another site,

To put this in perspective, Stafford is getting more guaranteed money than Albert Haynesorth($41 mil), the most sought after free agent in this years class, who's easily the best at his position and has dominated the game coming off 2 Pro Bowl seasons.

The #1 overall pick's contract has increased 100% over the last 5 years from Eli Manning's.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm not sickened... it was expected and its about the same amount as last season.

getlynched47
04-25-2009, 11:45 AM

Not true. He's a 4 year starter that has increased his sack total each year of his college career. He has the most experience in the 3-4, and he's getting overlooked IMO.