PDA

View Full Version : Drafting a Starter

WARHORSE
04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
If the Broncos hold true to form, they will draft players that they feel can come in and start with the first three to four picks.

That removes the QBs. However, should Tannehill be there at 25....that may indeed be someone they draft. BUT I DONT THINK SO.

What players will be available to us that can start right away in the top four picks?

With the focus on the first pick:

Corner? Yes. One of the top corners can come in and possibly start right away. However, with the signing of Porter, and the young guys we already we have, I doubt it unless they let Champ go to safety. I dont see it this year.

DT? Yes. DT is one of those positions where its hard for a rookie to come in and contribute right away, even when theyre first round draft picks. But I believe the talent available would allow it. But is the talent available at 25 going to have a better chance to start vs a second rounder? Depends on the difference of ability in the players left available. Good chance this is the position we address.

DE? No. I dont see anyone other than possibly Coples that can unseat one of our guys, and he will be gone. So I dont see it.

Safety? Yes. Barron would come in and play imo, and hes a possibility.

LBer? Yes. I dont believe its likely, but if Kuechely is there, hes a big possibility. He wont be though. All the other top LBer prospects translate better to the 3-4.

RB? Yes. I believe Martin can come in and start day one.

WR? Yes. I believe there are a couple of WRs who can possibly come in and start in the slot or outside. Floyd, wont be there. Kendall Wright, possible. Stephen Hill, possible.

OT? Yes. I believe if a couple of guys fall down, they could supplant Franklin, moving him to guard. Probably a last scenario if other positions are there. Denver has Harris and will probably address the depth past the first round.

Guard? Yes. But DeCastro wont be there.

Center? Yes. Konz is better than Walton. I dont see them drafting him, but Konz can supplant Walton. Theres always a possibility that in order to protect Manning at the utmost, we draft this position. But I dont think likely.

TE? No. No. And no.

FB? No.

QB? No. But if Tannehill is there, Denver very well take him. Its the one position and player that they may settle for a non-starter. And it has to be addressed anyway. Hanie is not the future, and Tannehill may even supplant him at number 2 behind Manning. Is Weeden a thought in the same line of thinking? I dont think so. Hes too old. If Manning plays 3 more years...........Weeden is retiring.

So what do I see us doing?

I see us trading down unless our top choice at DT is there.

If we pick at 25, what will be the positions with the highest value left? I believe it will be DT.....WR......RB.....Corner.....then OL.

If Cox, Brockers and Worthy are gone, dont be surprised if we draft another position besides DT.

Like RB or WR.:coffee:

SpringsBroncoFan
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
I like the thought process but I'd toss out the 4th... save J Norman at CB because I think you have to consider what happens when we finally dump Goody & Champ retires... I think you have to consider Gilmore & Dre in the 1st & JRob in the 3rd...

I agree re trading down... I'd rather do that than grab Glenn at 25 and with the extra pick grab Osemele if they want a G to replace Beadles... or RB or S - Harris with the extra pick...

I don't see any T's in the first 4 picks that would start...

LB's... I'd take Brown or Kendricks in the 2nd, certainly if Kendricks makes it to the 3rd. Brown would start now with DJ suspended and some think Kendricks can play there too...and he's better than Mays...

RB... Martin, Miller, or Polk in the 2nd & Pead in the 3rd. We all know they'd start over that that Knomo idiot...

BroncoWave
04-06-2012, 03:53 PM
No Warhorse, clearly we have to draft a DT in the first round, regardless if there is one left at 25 worthy of being picked there. Otherwise we are just ignoring the position!

underrated29
04-06-2012, 04:02 PM
i dont see how we could take a wr in the first two rounds. Makes no sense to me. We are set there, DT, decker, caldwell, willis---plus we will rarely run 4-5 wide as the TE-dressen, tamme, Orange Julius will be representing that last person or last two persons.

WR/TE- better be a Hell no in the first 3 rounds.

SOCALORADO.
04-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I think that instead of looking at each position, ask yourself which players at ANY position can come in and start right away, and make a impact?
A DT like Cox or Brockers might have a higher, long term upside, but because they are green rookies and are not ready for full time duty, wont see the field.
However, a space eater like DT Alameda Ta'ammu, WASH would have an immediate impact even as a rookie because he is a friggen anchor in the middle of the line and a much needed run stopper. They could utilize their other players around Ta'ammu as more UTs and just ask him to do what he does best, plug up the running lanes.
So looking at specific team needs, i think he might be on DENs radar, and he does grade out by almost all analysts as a mid 1st, high 2nd round pick. As a bonus, he also has huge potential as a pass rushing DT and can collapse the pocket and get after the QB too.
RB Doug Martin in the 2nd round would seem like a slam dunk, and i think he is NFL built and already has the skill set to be an immediate starter at RB for DEN. The guy is basically a MJD clone and thats the perfect type of RB you want. A bowling ball.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I still want Cordy Glenn or Dont'a Hightower.

I don't love this class of DTs. I really believe getting a couple of round 2 and/or 3 guys can be as god as reaching at #25. I'd prefer a sure thing.

Jsteve01
04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Taamu and Martin would make me extremely happy. I think Ta'ammu has the chance to be the best tackle in the draft. I'm sold on Polynesian defensive tackles.

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Ta'amu is just a two down run stuffer. Wash and Ta'amu got his ass handed to him by Stanford and DeCastro, like 500 yards rushing.......

SpringsBroncoFan
04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
No Warhorse, clearly we have to draft a DT in the first round, regardless if there is one left at 25 worthy of being picked there. Otherwise we are just ignoring the position!

Then trade down... don't take a guy if you don't think he's worth it at that spot... Take a DT with one of the 2's then... and you're not ignoring it... :D