PDA

View Full Version : The rebirth of John Elway

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2012, 11:38 AM
It was midday on the Saturday of the NFL combine in February. The cavernous media room was bustling with activity when a trendy, middle-aged man walked briskly through.

Wearing designer jeans, a leather jacket and looking like he just walked out of a Beverly Hills hair salon, John Elway smiled winningly, shaking hands and offering quick quips as he breezed through.

In the often stodgy world of the NFL, Elway was working the combine his own way. NFL front-office leaders are usually not the leather-jacket-and-$100-dollar-haircut types. Neither are they Super Bowl winning, Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

rest - very good - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/42525/the-rebirth-of-john-elway

BroncoJoe
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Best hire Bowlen has ever made.

GEM
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Best hire Bowlen has ever made.

Twice!! :D

GEM
04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
:D Good read.

I don't know a single player ever that could come close to what Elway was and is for the Broncos.

WARHORSE
04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Elway is uber poised and astute in his role. He is an awesome focal point for the franchise as a whole, players, coaches, personel, front office and even Bowlen imo.

He is epitomizing his role as the most beloved Bronco that ever has, or ever will step into the Colorado air.

John Elway impacts the entire community of Denver and beyond.

wayninja
04-07-2012, 02:46 AM
He took over a team that had gone 4-12 in 2010 and had lost 22 of its past 28 games. Elway spearheaded an effort that turned the Broncos into a surprise AFC West champion that upset Pittsburgh in the first round of the AFC playoffs -- the Broncos' first postseason win in six years.

Wow, so much for our defense.

I find it comical how this sentence passes without a second thought, but if you replace the word 'Elway' with 'Tebow', you have half the board up in arms.

:D

dogfish
04-07-2012, 02:57 AM

seriously? elway hired fox, who brought dennis allen with him. . . elway and xanders drafted von miller and quinton carter, traded for bunkley, and found a UDFA gem in chris harris. . . the defensive rejuvenation had the FO's fingerprints all over it-- especially when you consider that their chosen coaching staff also got way more out of robert ayers and joe mays than their predecessors. . .

granted, allen and von miller probably get the most immediate credit-- but both of those guys were in denver as a result of decisions made by elway, whether directly or indirectly. . . i think "spearheading" is a pretty fair term for the role of a dynamic GM who picks a smart veteran coach to help him re-work the franchise-- especially when the offense is left largely intact under the previous coordinator, while the defense undergoes a major renovation. . .

dogfish
04-07-2012, 02:59 AM
also, this is one of the better pieces that i've seen from burger bill-- worth reading for those that haven't, and i don't generally recommend his work for more than a link as confirmation of news. . .

Simple Jaded
04-07-2012, 05:18 AM

I find it comical how this sentence passes without a second thought, but if you replace the word 'Elway' with 'Tebow', you have half the board up in arms.

:DWhat's comical is that Tebow's name is even mentioned in such a sentence.......

Joel
04-07-2012, 08:54 AM
What's comical is that Tebow's name is even mentioned in such a sentence.......
Elway has more on his resume than just last years hit and miss season, but the way that sentence was worded, focused on JUST that season, invited Tebow comparisons. Elway also has his time as co-owner and exec with the Colorado Crunch to lend him credibility, but using last years shocking season to declare him the end all, be all of NFL execs is as ridiculous as using it to declare Tebow the end all, be all of NFL QBs.

We'll see what happens long term; I'm still far from sold on Foxball (which meshes poorly with Manning.) The D is still a house of cards with nothing at the core of the defensive line, linebackers or secondary, and, if the offense has more weapons than last year, it still has far to go, with less strength in the trenches. This isn't 1985, and Elways success NOW depends on fixing those problems, not throwing TD passes.

Superchop 7
04-07-2012, 09:45 AM
He grew up in a home with Jack Elway, Jack was a damn fine scout. It's been a helluva lot better with John than it was with Joe "the idiot" Ellis.

He said hello, and put me on hold
To say the least the cat was cold
He said, don't call us child we'll call you

I said, you got my number
He said yeah, I got it when you walked in the door

Chef Zambini
04-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Elway has more on his resume than just last years hit and miss season, but the way that sentence was worded, focused on JUST that season, invited Tebow comparisons. Elway also has his time as co-owner and exec with the Colorado Crunch to lend him credibility, but using last years shocking season to declare him the end all, be all of NFL execs is as ridiculous as using it to declare Tebow the end all, be all of NFL QBs.

We'll see what happens long term; I'm still far from sold on Foxball (which meshes poorly with Manning.) The D is still a house of cards with nothing at the core of the defensive line, linebackers or secondary, and, if the offense has more weapons than last year, it still has far to go, with less strength in the trenches. This isn't 1985, and Elways success NOW depends on fixing those problems, not throwing TD passes.

joe, your concerns are justified and shared by manny.
Bily willy does glorify much of elways first year with the broncos, but I am sure that YOU especially, can look at the crater of a team that JMCD left behind, and appreciate the work JE has done to make our beloved franchise look more like crater lake in the short span of time.
He dumped TUTEN, not mentioned in the article and a huge step forward into the 21st century.
he restored PRIDE and attitude, two essential building blocks for the futre, and he landed the biggest fish in the free agent market, perhaps the biggest since reggie white !
I am happy with ELWAY, he is doing the right things for the right reasons, and I am glad he is the man behind the wheel of my beloved bronco organization.

broncobryce
04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
The jury is still out, but he's had a really good first season. Hopefully things continue to go upward and not back down.

wayninja
04-07-2012, 07:53 PM
seriously? elway hired fox, who brought dennis allen with him. . . elway and xanders drafted von miller and quinton carter, traded for bunkley, and found a UDFA gem in chris harris. . . the defensive rejuvenation had the FO's fingerprints all over it-- especially when you consider that their chosen coaching staff also got way more out of robert ayers and joe mays than their predecessors. . .

granted, allen and von miller probably get the most immediate credit-- but both of those guys were in denver as a result of decisions made by elway, whether directly or indirectly. . . i think "spearheading" is a pretty fair term for the role of a dynamic GM who picks a smart veteran coach to help him re-work the franchise-- especially when the offense is left largely intact under the previous coordinator, while the defense undergoes a major renovation. . .

So, just so I'm clear; Elway hired the coach who brought the coordinator, who drafted/FA signed players to rejuvenate our defense, which "turned the Broncos into a surprise AFC West champion that upset Pittsburgh in the first round of the AFC playoffs"?

What about Prater? What about miracle onside kicks and Marion Barber? What about prevent defenses? What about banged up defenses on other teams? I'm sure Elway did all that too.

dogfish
04-07-2012, 09:36 PM
What about Prater? What about miracle onside kicks and Marion Barber? What about prevent defenses? What about banged up defenses on other teams? I'm sure Elway did all that too.

wut?

BroncoWave
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
So, just so I'm clear; Elway hired the coach who brought the coordinator, who drafted/FA signed players to rejuvenate our defense, which "turned the Broncos into a surprise AFC West champion that upset Pittsburgh in the first round of the AFC playoffs"?

You need to learn the definition of "spearheaded". It doesn't mean "did it all himself".

wayninja
04-07-2012, 10:03 PM
You need to learn the definition of "spearheaded". It doesn't mean "did it all himself".

spear·head (spīrhd)
n.
1. The sharpened head of a spear.
a. The leading forces in a military thrust.
b. The driving force in a given action, endeavor, or movement.

I'm assuming 2b is the context. So Elway was the driving force in us being "a surprise AFC West champion that upset Pittsburgh in the first round of the AFC playoffs"?

Sorry, it still doesn't sound any less silly. Might as well say Xanders 'spearheaded' the onside kick against Miami.

I'm all for giving FO guys credit when they do their jobs well, but the level of credit that is being given to guys not in uniform just seems a bit over the top to me. Especially considering how much credit had been given to luck and other teams errors.

No big deal, just find it funny is all.

broncobryce
04-07-2012, 11:41 PM

You don't understand, those points are only valid when trying to discredit Tebow.

Simple Jaded
04-08-2012, 12:10 AM
You don't understand, those points are only valid when trying to discredit Tebow.

No, those points are valid in both situations.......

MOtorboat
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
No, those points are valid in both situations.......

Thankfully, we now have a President of Football Operations that understands those things and is willing to do what is needed to field a consistent winner. And the balls to make the right moves, which he did this offseason.

turftoad
04-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Thisthread is not about Tebow. It's about the GOAT! which Tebow is not.

Simple Jaded
04-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Thankfully, we now have a President of Football Operations that understands those things and is willing to do what is needed to field a consistent winner. And the balls to make the right moves, which he did this offseason.
Absolutely. No matter what happened with the Broncos QB situation Tim Tebow would have been an ever present source of criticism for the team; whether he was on the team and completing sub 50%, sitting on the bench behind a 1st round rookie or on another team entirely the Broncos would have been the team that screwed Tim Tebow. I give the Broncos credit for understanding that if you're gonna be criticized it might as well be for doing what's best for the organization and not for some bullshit conspiracy.

The Broncos apparently wanted to turn the page, to move on. Getting Peyton Manning in the process should be enough of a peace offering, IMO.......

Northman
04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Thisthread is not about Tebow. It's about the GOAT! which Tebow is not.

End thread.

claymore
04-08-2012, 01:01 PM

I cant give enough credit to Elway. He did such a fantastic job navigating the team thru an absolute mess . On top of that, his first draft pick is DROY, and he lands the biggest FA ever... All within a year.

Amazing.

MOtorboat
04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I cant give enough credit to Elway. He did such a fantastic job navigating the team thru an absolute mess . On top of that, his first draft pick is DROY, and he lands the biggest FA ever... All within a year.

Amazing.

But, but...

Tebow!

GEM
04-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Nope...it was all Tebow.

ShaneFalco
04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
it was all Kyle Orton. His bearded magic saved us.

MOtorboat
04-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Where we're going we don't need magic.