PDA

View Full Version : Broncos working out Brock Osweiler today

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Big Bad John Elway will lead a Broncos’ contingent today to Arizona State University where they will give a personal workout to Long Tall Brock Osweiler.

Broncos coach John Fox, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, quarterbacks coach Adam Gase and general manager Brian Xanders are expected to join Elway on the trip to Tempe.

The 6-foot-8 Osweiler is the tallest quarterback available in the NFL Draft that will be held later this month. Osweiler is projected to go in the second round. Coming out of high school in Kalispell, Mont., Osweiler passed up numerous Division I basketball scholarships for the chance to play quarterback for the Sun Devils.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/06/broncos-working-brock-osweiler-today/12963/

Northman
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Awesome. I hope we can find a way to land this kid. But hopefully in the 3rd round.

topscribe
04-06-2012, 11:10 AM
The dude keeps growing. I've been reading he's 6'7", and now they have him at 6'8".

By the time he joins the Broncos, he will be 7'6".

Northman
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
The dude keeps growing. I've been reading he's 6'7", and now they have him at 6'8".

By the time he joins the Broncos, he will be 7'6".

******* Jolly Green Giant.

Mannway187
04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
http://www.mockone.net/MockTwo/MockTwo.php/mocksite/teamPage/13

This mock draft website has us taking this kid with our second round pick. Of course they also have us using our first pick #25 overall on an interior offensive lineman from Georgia who can step right into the left guard spot and also move over to left tackle if Clady leaves next year via free agency.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-06-2012, 11:44 AM

This mock draft website has us taking this kid with our second round pick. Of course they also have us using our first pick #25 overall on an interior offensive lineman from Georgia who can step right into the left guard spot and also move over to left tackle if Clady leaves next year via free agency.

Well, if we have to take a guy with a bad knee at 129 can we just take Chapman instead of Bolden? Otherwise that draft wouldn't kill me if we have to take a fricking QB... I like how the GM is "cuckoo"... seems appropriate...

SOCALORADO.
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Well, if we have to take a guy with a bad knee at 129 can we just take Chapman instead of Bolden? Otherwise that draft wouldn't kill me if we have to take a fricking QB... I like how the GM is "cuckoo"... seems appropriate...

Honestly, thats not a bad draft, and i actually think DEN will be taking a bunch of offensive weapon players or a o-linemen in the 1st 2-3 rounds.

chazoe60
04-06-2012, 03:17 PM
If Brock is there when we pick in round Two then I have a strong suspicion we'll draft him.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
If Brock is there when we pick in round Two then I have a strong suspicion we'll draft him.

Well, I hope we trade down to pick up an extra 2nd then...

SOCALORADO.
04-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Well, I hope we trade down to pick up an extra 2nd then...

Or they trade away a 2013 2nd to get back into this years 2nd round.
DEN needs to find a way back into the 2nd this year.
I would like to see them find a way back into the 5th again too.
Lost that pick to CLE for Qui...rofl...i just threw up in my mouth.

SR
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I think John Elway knew the kid from before hand when his son tried to play for ASU. Unless I'm getting old and my memory is failing me.

dogfish
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
:harf:

Slick
04-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I hope they pass on the next Dan McGuire. Don't do it John!

Northman
04-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Shut your piehole and bow down to what will be Brockmania.

Slick
04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Shut your piehole and bow down to what will be Brockmania.

LOL! i really don't want to see a QB drafted this year at all. We made a bit of a gamble, we need to have the stones to see it through.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-06-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm 100% on board w/ this draft...if EFX is set on taking a QB. Still get DT MIke Martin in round 3? I'd be giddy. I love Cordy Glenn for OG.

Superchop 7
04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Lets see.....Foles had 3 solid years and even on a 2-7 team outplayed him.

Osweiler had a good year 1 year and was crap beforehand. (On a bowl team)

The only thing this kid has on Foles is height and pricetag.

Superchop 7
04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
http://youtu.be/UhaehG4uWoY

Nick Freakin Foles.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-06-2012, 04:44 PM
foles is hot garbage.

At least Osweiler has some potential and we have time to pull it out of him. Foles has actually regressed.

Superchop 7
04-06-2012, 04:55 PM
http://youtu.be/rqYAUD97lRQ

This is Osweiler, let your eyes be the judge. Which guy do you want? Foles or Osweiler? No contest.

Look at the time between decision and its out of his hand, look at the placement of the throw, see how fluid he is in the pocket, playaction gets the backers to bite hard, poised under pressure.

His stats have been better every year, so no regression.

The guy is a gamer, screw the combine.

topscribe
04-06-2012, 05:21 PM
http://youtu.be/UhaehG4uWoY

Nick Freakin Foles.

It wouldn't break my heart to see them taking Foles. Big QB, strong arm . . . and he possibly could be had as late as the 4th round.

Needs a lot of work, but behind Peyton he could get it.

Superchop 7
04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Source Wiki

After Willie Tuitama graduated, Foles entered a quarterback competition with expected successor Matt Scott. After spring practice Matt Scott was given the starting role when the coaches felt that being a dual threat quarterback would open up the offense. Despite victories against Central Michigan and Northern Arizona, Scott struggled against Iowa and the next week Foles was given the chance the start. In Corvallis, Foles led the Wildcats to a victory against Oregon State. Foles continued to start for the rest of the year, completing 260 of 409 pass attempts for 2486 yards, 19 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions.[1]

As a redshirt junior in 2010, Foles was the unquestioned starter. Foles led the Wildcats to a 7-1 start which included a victory against #9 Iowa on national television. Foles led the game-winning drive that ended with a touchdown pass to Bug Wright. Against Washington State, Foles suffered a knee injury that kept him sidelined for two weeks. Foles finished off his junior year with 3,191 yards, 20 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions despite missing two games due to injury.

During the 2011 season, Foles completed 286 of 426 passes for 3,191 yards and 20 touchdowns. He ranked first in the Pac 12 Conference and fifth among all NCAA Division I FBS players with an average of 352.58 yards of total offense per game.[2] He also ranked second in the Pac 12 and 20th among all FBS players in total passing yardage.[3]

Superchop 7
04-06-2012, 05:31 PM
It wouldn't break my heart to see them taking Foles. Big QB, strong arm . . . and he possibly could be had as late as the 4th round.

Needs a lot of work, but behind Peyton he could get it.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

And the truth is.......it takes 3 years to master a playbook. Sure a kid can play year 2, but being able to play and mastering the playbook are 2 different things. He is only 23 years old.

Northman
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
foles is hot garbage.

At least Osweiler has some potential and we have time to pull it out of him. Foles has actually regressed.

^This

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I sincerely hope it's not before the fourth round. I have no idea what people see in Osweiler.......

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 08:03 PM

This mock draft website has us taking this kid with our second round pick. Of course they also have us using our first pick #25 overall on an interior offensive lineman from Georgia who can step right into the left guard spot and also move over to left tackle if Clady leaves next year via free agency.What happened to Denver's 4th rounders?.......

Nomad
04-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Agreed

Npba900
04-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Awesome. I hope we can find a way to land this kid. But hopefully in the 3rd round.

Some mock drafts have Denver selecting Osweiler 57th overall with our 2nd round pick. Elway doesn't want another team to pick Brock ahead of the Broncos and knows Osweiler won't be there in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Some mock drafts have Denver selecting Osweiler 57th overall with our 2nd round pick. Elway doesn't want another team to pick Brock ahead of the Broncos and knows Osweiler won't be there in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
Help me out, Npba, what do they see in him?.......

Npba900
04-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Help me out, Npba, what do they see in him?.......

Well to be honest, I haven't watched him play much except for the Missouri game and he looked impressive to me. Living on the east coast I don't see many PAC-10 football. However, I guess it comes down to what Elway see's in him. I do see a lot of upside and potential.

What do you think? I know many fans think using a 2nd round pick is to high, but if you covet a player bad enough you must take him before another team will.

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Well to be honest, I haven't watched him play much except for the Missouri game and he looked impressive to me. Living on the east coast I don't see many PAC-10 football. However, I guess it comes down to what Elway see's in him. I do see a lot of upside and potential.

What do you think? I know many fans think using a 2nd round pick is to high, but if you covet a player bad enough you must take him before another team will.I've seen him quite a few times and I really thought he screwed the pooch declaring for the draft, apparently not. I like his athletic ability for a 6-7 QB but that's about it. He looks like a Phylis Rivers with a sidearm delivery and from what I've read he's got overrated arm strength.

Take it fwiw, which is not much, l've wrong more times than l can remember, mone of this means he won't be a legitimate NFL QB but I just don't see a 2nd round pick at all.......

Superchop 7
04-06-2012, 10:33 PM
From the people that brought you Caleb Hanie..........

hamrob
04-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Anybody who believes that they will take a QB in the fist two rounds...hit me up. I'll bet $100 they don't.

Perhaps in the 3rd, definitely in the 4th. I would take Osweiler in the 3rd, but not in the 2nd. Gil Brandt thinks he's going in the 1st.

Superchop 7
04-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Nick Freakin Foles

High School: Westlake High School, Austin, Texas, 2006... Set school career records for passing yards (5,658) and passing TDs (56), breaking marks previously held by Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints)...

Superchop 7
04-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Source CBS

Foles is a big athlete with good height and stands tall in the pocket to survey the field. He has good arm strength and can easily make all the NFL throws with effortless deep passes. Foles does a nice job evading pressure and stepping up in the pocket with improved pocket presence and awareness. He stays poised under pressure, keeping his eyes downfield. Foles throws well on the move and does a nice job shuffling his feet in the pocket to buy precious seconds. He is a very confident passer and shows very good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Foles sees the entire field and understands coverage. He makes quick reads and spreads the wealth (eight Arizona players had at least 20 receptions in 2011), showing better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes. Foles uses good technique, squaring his shoulders to the target and stepping into his throws. He also uses deceptive and deliberate ball fakes to hold defenses.

Foles works through his progressions and is content with underneath throws, but is not afraid of taking chances downfield, trusting his big-play targets. He is a very good competitor and is a crafty passer, doing whatever it takes to compete the pass. Foles is comfortable handling the ball (used the shuffle pass numerous times, including three times vs. USC in 2011). He has improved anticipation as a passer, making much more throws before his target is out of his break. Foles made better decisions as a senior and didn't suffer his first interception until the fifth game of the 2011 season (210 attempts without a pick). He has a short memory and bounces back quickly from mistakes. Foles is a vocal team leader and an ideal teammate, showing field general traits in the two-minute offense with no quit in him. He has very good practice habits and work ethic, watching a lot of film. Foles plays calm, confident and very even-keeled - never gets too high or too low regardless of the situation. He plays with his heart and is extremely tough, often playing hurt and grinding through injuries. Foles was highly productive in college, finishing as the school's all-time leading passer (10,011 yards) and led the Pac-12 in passing yards (4,334), completions (387), attempts (560) and second in completion percentage (69.1%) as a senior in 2011.

Northman
04-07-2012, 06:21 AM

Well, we dont know exactly what they want to do and since no draft ever goes as totally planned, stranger things have happened.

elsid13
04-07-2012, 07:04 AM
He just not that good a QB to be selected in the first three rounds. He is development type of QB, that doesn't go through his progression, has so-so arm and limited experience. If he sitting there in the late 4th or 5th maybe, but not in the second.

CoachChaz
04-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Buck Frock

Ravage!!!
04-07-2012, 10:17 AM
He's too tall. I'm serious with this comment. Too tall.

LTC Pain
04-07-2012, 11:05 AM
From RotoWorld:

B.J. Coleman, UT-Chattanooga, Height/Weight: 6'3/233, 2011 Stats: 137-of-225 (60.9%) for 1,527 yds (6.79 YPA), 9 TD/9 INT; 1 RUS TD

Draft Prediction: Broncos, No. 108 overall

Positives: Before transferring into the FCS, Coleman attended the University of Tennessee where he studied film of Peyton Manning. And it shows in his subtle movements, in-pocket tendencies, and throwing motion. This helps define Coleman: He's a true student of the game who transferred down a level of competition to maximize his playing time. Coleman loves the pump fake, utilizing it to move coverage before showcasing NFL-level velocity. Coleman was the only player during East-West Shrine week that displayed pro arm talent. He climbs the pocket well and consistently steps toward his target. Coleman is not the typical small-school prospect, as he has experience changing line calls pre-snap and was asked to complete multiple anticipation throws to targets in windows, which he did effectively. Coleman also flashes downfield passing ability, but those vertical routes succeed far more often when his timing is on point.

Negatives: Coleman tends to aim throws rather than trust his control, leading to sporadic ball placement on intermediate routes. Despite an excellent skill set, he never managed a high completion percentage which is a bit worrisome when considering the lower level of competition. In fact, some games Coleman completely lost it, throwing nine interceptions in a two-game stretch during his junior season. The picks resulted from drifting away from the pocket when facing interior pressure. It is evident Coleman has a grasp for the offense, but his second and third reads never look as clean as the first.

Outlook: Coleman is an excellent contender to hold a clipboard for a few years while potentially developing into a low-end starter down the line. Despite starting for three seasons in college, he still has some discomfort and uneasiness to his game but plenty of talent that NFL coaches can mold. It is frustrating to see, because I think Coleman is on the cusp of grasping and processing the game quickly. He stood out during Shrine week, and even if Coleman never starts he has an excellent foundation as a backup quarterback.

DenBronx
04-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Brandon Weedens better than this kid.

Just sayin....

DenBronx
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Don't care if he's 28 either....he's ready for the NFL now. Would be a hellllll of alot better option over Hanie if Manning got hurt.

I like Moore late in the draft too though....very late.

Superchop 7
04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Coleman is better than Osweiler imo......but.....he has happy feet in the pocket.....as in....mexican hat dance. Meaning....not cool calm collected and planting his feet. His accuracy is off.....but.....absolutely due to his feet.

Superchop 7
04-07-2012, 12:13 PM
It would be a disservice to Weeden to draft him at his age to ride the pine when we absolutely have a number 1 qb on the roster.

Ravage!!!
04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Coleman is better than Osweiler imo......but.....he has happy feet in the pocket.....as in....mexican hat dance. Meaning....not cool calm collected and planting his feet. His accuracy is off.....but.....absolutely due to his feet.

Much like Manning's feet?

Northman
04-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Coleman's stock has dropped but both he and Osweiler are still ranked ahead of Foles.

Npba900
04-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I've seen him quite a few times and I really thought he screwed the pooch declaring for the draft, apparently not. I like his athletic ability for a 6-7 QB but that's about it. He looks like a Phylis Rivers with a sidearm delivery and from what I've read he's got overrated arm strength.

Take it fwiw, which is not much, l've wrong more times than l can remember, mone of this means he won't be a legitimate NFL QB but I just don't see a 2nd round pick at all.......

I think Osweiler has tremendous talent, upside, and potential. My question would be how close is Osweiler's talents to Tom Brady's talents while he was the on-again-off-again starting QB while at Michigan. Are there any similarities? How many teams are kicking themselves by letting Brady slip down to the 6th round. I know many fans believe drafting Brock with the the Broncos 2nd pick is way to high, however, Brady could have been taken in the 2nd round back in 2000, and would have been well worth the risk if you consider Tom's career thus far.

Again, Elway see's something in Osweiler that convinces him that Brock is the QB he wants and is willing use Denver's 2nd round pick to draft Osweiler; even it means moving up in the 2nd round if needed.

I know I'm taking a more bullish stance on Osweiler than the majority of people are, but I think Elway will try to continue his string of luck. Although Osweiler is not a perfect prospect or even a legitimate first round type of guy, but after Luck and Griffin(and maybe Tannehill), I feel pretty good about him vs. what else is available.

Osweiler has flaws which are very correctable. He's coming off his first year of starting and is still just 21 years old, which makes him the perfect age to sit behind Manning for 3 years. I'll be the first to agree that Brock needed some more time to develop at ASU, but his physical skills have the potential to make him a far better player down the road than the rest of the guys he's competing against positionally.

Superchop 7
04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
And Leaf was ranked ahead of Manning ......forget what everyone says......judge with your own eyes.

Northman
04-07-2012, 01:51 PM
And Leaf was ranked ahead of Manning ......forget what everyone says......judge with your own eyes.

So says the guy who has a Trent Dilfer quote in his sig. I get your point and i like what ive seen Brock far more than Foles. Coleman i have no idea, only going by what ive been reading on him.

silkamilkamonico
04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Trent Dilfer has been the only analyst who has been almost spot on with every QB to come out of the draft since he predicted Aaron Rodgers was going to be an elite QB someday and shaking his head on every draft pick when he continued to fall.

His only questionable analysis has been of Colt McCoy, but I would argue McCoy has been a much better QB than most anyone thought he would be coming out of the draft.

That said I don't think much of Foles in comparison with Osweiler. Foles seems to have such a low ceiling.

Northman
04-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Trent Dilfer has been the only analyst who has been almost spot on with every QB to come out of the draft since he predicted Aaron Rodgers was going to be an elite QB someday and shaking his head on every draft pick when he continued to fall.

His only questionable analysis has been of Colt McCoy, but I would argue McCoy has been a much better QB than most anyone thought he would be coming out of the draft.

That said I don't think much of Foles in comparison with Osweiler. Foles seems to have such a low ceiling.

That wasnt really a dig at Dilfer personally. Only that Super has been spamming the shit out of this thread with various articles about Foles and then took the time to tell me not to believe everything i read. I just found that hysterical considering his actions in this very thread.

Superchop 7
04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I put information up for the benefit of those that do not know what to look for when watching a qb. Dilfer is pretty sharp, imo Osweiler will never amount to anything in this league, he is so bad its funny. Foles is 2 inches shorter and 10 times the qb.

Northman
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I put information up for the benefit of those that do not know what to look for when watching a qb. Dilfer is pretty sharp, imo Osweiler will never amount to anything in this league, he is so bad its funny. Foles is 2 inches shorter and 10 times the qb.

Yes, because you say so. lmao

topscribe
04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure whether Foles is better than Osweiler, or if he is better -- I haven't really seen enough of Osweiler to make that comparison. I tabbed Osweiler in my mock because I thought he might be available by the time the Broncos select in the second round. However, I'm having second thoughts on that.

Foles just might be as good a selection as Osweiler (according to my limited knowledge, as I admitted), and he might be available by the fourth round, whereas Osweiler likely will be long gone. That makes Foles possibly a bit more appealing to me because of the pressing needs at DT.

This is where I would like to see the Broncos focus: a DT in the first round and in the third: specifically, Ta'amu/Worthy/Stills in the first and Derek Wolfe in the third. The latter (Wolfe) has a motor that just won't quit, and I suspect he would be a 4th quarter beast. (Martin is still my 2nd round choice if he's there, but if not, pass on LaMichael James, IMO.) So, if Foles is there in the 4th, I jump at him. He definitely would be a project, but one behind Peyton, so that would be fine by me . . .

DenBronx
04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
a.k.a. Lanky Lankerston

Jsteve01
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Nick Foles sucks. Completely overrated. I'll have the Foles conversation all day. As I said before if you were a fan of Orton then you should love Foles. The only difference is that Orton actually won at the collegiate level. Foles' stats are completely inflated as he always played from behind. sub par athlete whom everyone seems to think has a great arm because he's big. The tape shows otherwise.

Jsteve01
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM

can you qualify this statement? I remember that debate based on potential but who really said Leaf was better?

topscribe
04-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Nick Foles sucks. Completely overrated. I'll have the Foles conversation all day. As I said before if you were a fan of Orton then you should love Foles. The only difference is that Orton actually won at the collegiate level. Foles' stats are completely inflated as he always played from behind. sub par athlete whom everyone seems to think has a great arm because he's big. The tape shows otherwise.
I think Foles has a strong arm because I watched him play, not on tape, but right here in Tucson, Arizona.

Foles has a lot of flaws, but they are correctable, and he has a lot of potential, IMO. It's going to take time and work, but the Broncos have that luxury behind Manning . . .

Superchop 7
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
He can make all the throws but I do not consider his arm "elite".

I'm in Denver for Opening Day Rockies.......will get back to the rest of you guys later.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
The Broncos were on the hunt for another quarterback even before they traded Tim Tebow to the New York Jets. And while fewer folks seem to be angered by that pursuit now that a four-time MVP and future Hall of Famer is the team's starting quarterback, the Broncos still are evaluating the signal callers on the draft board.

The Broncos were represented by assistant scouting director Lenny McGill at the pro workout for Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler in late March and have gone back for another look.

Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway, coach John Fox, general manager Brian Xanders, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and quarterbacks coach Adam Gase were scheduled to put Osweiler through the paces.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20359753/arizona-states-brock-osweiler-fits-denver-broncos-profile

Superchop 7
04-13-2012, 04:31 PM
OK, back at it....

As for Leaf-Manning.......this is from Jeff Legwold.

Whether or not it will reach the behind-the-scenes mayhem of the Peyton Manning-Ryan Leaf debate remains to be seen, but with the advent of social media and far more widespread use of the Internet in general, the number of "sources" who will be quoted in the coming months on the top two quarterbacks figures to keep those interested in the draft busy.

Hindsight has rendered the Manning-Leaf debate as a little-remembered historical footnote. But in the days before the 1998 draft, the vote among the league's scouts and personnel directors was far more split than they like to admit these days.

Manning was seen as what he evolved into, a quarterback with the best of football intellects, an elite competitor, remember-when anticipation and a phenomenal work ethic.

At the time, some in the league, those whose job it was to critique any and all prospects, believed his delivery had some quirks in it, his mobility was nonexistent and they worried that he didn't always show elite arm strength.

Considering the pro career that followed, that all looks like verbal Styrofoam against the Hall of Fame-worthy résumé Manning has constructed.

Leaf was viewed as the player with the power arm and a far bigger upside. While he showed signs of the troubled career path that would follow — he showed up to the scouting combine that year woefully out of shape and overweight — Leaf's potential was still attractive over Manning's production — at least to some.

Read more: Luck vs. Griffin shaping up as best draft debate since Manning vs. Leaf - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19950352#ixzz1rxTxeyzS
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Superchop 7
04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
For the other contrarians.....

On the day Elway scouted Foles.....the winds were 40-70 mph, and yes, Foles looked like a guy throwing into a wind tunnel.

As for his record......well.....Jay Cutler played on a crappy team too.

Superchop 7
04-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Carol, you are great and wonderful.

But Osweiler has crappy footwork and a horrendous throwing motion. I'm sure he can play basketball, but he is God-awful in the pocket.

Superchop 7
04-13-2012, 04:45 PM
As for "numbers inflated because of being behind"......sure....in yards thats right.......but what is impressive is the fact that the defense knew that he had to throw.......and......he still had a nice completion percentage with pressure in his face.

silkamilkamonico
04-13-2012, 05:09 PM
If what is happening with Tannehill is true, the entire QB class just a gigantic raise in stock and Osweiler is no longer a legitimate option for Denver.

topscribe
04-13-2012, 06:31 PM
If what is happening with Tannehill is true, the entire QB class just a gigantic raise in stock and Osweiler is no longer a legitimate option for Denver.
There's still Cousins and Foles . . .

Superchop 7
04-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Billick and I are on the same page....dont hand me a short career with potential....show me a complete body of work.

NightTerror218
04-13-2012, 07:04 PM
There's still Cousins and Foles . . .

I was never impressed with Foles and I watched a lot of him. I think Cousins is better and he could be a solid back up in this league and maybe good if he has the work ethic and motivation that Brady/manning have

TXBRONC
04-14-2012, 07:50 AM

I thought he was being projected as a second round pick?

TXBRONC
04-14-2012, 07:55 AM

I doubt those three go in the top 15.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
they all suck. this is a TERRIBLE QB class after pick #2.

Gimme the 2013 QB class w/ Landry, Bray, Wilson and Barkley, etc.

bcbronc
04-16-2012, 07:39 PM
they all suck. this is a TERRIBLE QB class after pick #2.

Gimme the 2013 QB class w/ Landry, Bray, Wilson and Barkley, etc.

Meh that's what peeps were saying last season. I don't want to take a QB this draft but I can live with taking one in the fourth or later.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Meh that's what peeps were saying last season. I don't want to take a QB this draft but I can live with taking one in the fourth or later.

Only because 2 of the guys listed above decided to stay in school. Wilson just lost his coach and Bray is a prima donna who will bolt UT as soon as he is able.

RebelRocker
04-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Only because 2 of the guys listed above decided to stay in school. Wilson just lost his coach and Bray is a prima donna who will bolt UT as soon as he is able.

I know the early reports have said Wilson won't enter the supplemental draft this summer, but I really wonder if he's considering it. In the event that we don't take a QB this year and he does enter the supplemental draft, I wouldn't be surprised if we put a bid in for him.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I think he'll stay for this year. He can get real money in the next draft after he has the benefit of pro days and the combine.

Superchop 7
04-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Tonight on Sirius Bill Polian was asked who in the draft would be a good understudy for Manning. He said Foles or Osweiler but cautioned that Osweiler may be too tall.

Npba900
04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
As for "numbers inflated because of being behind"......sure....in yards thats right.......but what is impressive is the fact that the defense knew that he had to throw.......and......he still had a nice completion percentage with pressure in his face.

So do you think EFX will take Foles with its 2nd pick if they believe Foles won't be there when Denver picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds?

TXBRONC
04-18-2012, 10:01 AM

From what I've been reading it doesn't sound like he will slip that far in the draft.

Superchop 7
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Cousins would take a 2 and I think Topscribe is correct that we can get Foles in round 4. The only guys in this draft that could have done as well at Arizona are RG3 Tannehill and Luck as Arizona had no Defense and the O Line was new. Cousins gets a little panicky under pressure and Foles had the stones to deal with it. It also takes an arm to hit Criner on the 9 routes. IMO, he is my number 4 rated Qb and his 145 Qb rating with a bad oline is very impressive.

silkamilkamonico
04-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Some of this talks about the QB's in this class is getting to be ridiculous.

From how it sounds, there could be 8 QB's taken in the first 2 rounds. That is absurd.

Northman
04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
From what I've been reading it doesn't sound like he will slip that far in the draft.

I agree, but thats just wishful thinking on my part. I really dont want to take a QB early unless we've managed to trade back and stockpile some picks.

Jsteve01
04-18-2012, 06:57 PM
please say no to foles....pleeeeeeeeeeze. I hope the kid proves me wrong but there is a reason his stock has slipped so much.

Northman
04-18-2012, 06:58 PM
please say no to foles....pleeeeeeeeeeze. I hope the kid proves me wrong but there is a reason his stock has slipped so much.

Yea, initially i thought he would be higher regarded than Cousins but Cousins stock is going up while Foles is dropping drastically.

DenBronx
04-18-2012, 09:56 PM
I really think Brandon Weeden is a can't miss in day 2 of the draft. He is a very smart QB and actually BEAT Luck, Tannehill AND RGIII. He also did very well in those wins. Tannehill will get over drafted because of his arm but I think Weeden is a day 2 gem waiting to be found. I don't care about his age either because Manning may only be here for 3 years. Weeden would be perfect to take over after that or even if an injury happened.

TXBRONC
04-19-2012, 07:01 AM
I really think Brandon Weeden is a can't miss in day 2 of the draft. He is a very smart QB and actually BEAT Luck, Tannehill AND RGIII. He also did very well in those wins. Tannehill will get over drafted because of his arm but I think Weeden is a day 2 gem waiting to be found. I don't care about his age either because Manning may only be here for 3 years. Weeden would be perfect to take over after that or even if an injury happened.

Weedon isn't a guy you can build around. In three years he'll already by 32 years of age.

TXBRONC
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
So do you think EFX will take Foles with its 2nd pick if they believe Foles won't be there when Denver picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds?

They say their philosophy is best player available it that's Foles or Osweiler or someone else then that's who they're going to take.

Northman
04-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Weeden's stock is pretty good and had we not signed Manning i think it would of been a good grab for us but with Manning here he would just go to waste as by the time he took over he would already be quite old. I think if any team should take him it would be SF in case Smith regresses from last year.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Weeden's stock is pretty good and had we not signed Manning i think it would of been a good grab for us but with Manning here he would just go to waste as by the time he took over he would already be quite old. I think if any team should take him it would be SF in case Smith regresses from last year.

I think Weeden is the perfect "tweener" QB. Not someone you can pay to be your franchise QB, because he's not young. But at teh same time, most QBs don't REALLY start hitting their top marks until the age of 29-30. Too old to be a really long term solution, but a guy a team can have as a 6 year plan. Miami would be better off with him over Tannehil.

Jsteve01
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM

except for the fact that they spent a high 2 on kaepernick last year.

Northman
04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
except for the fact that they spent a high 2 on kaepernick last year.

Did they? Either way, it think Weeden would do more for them at this stage than Kaepernick would but if thats the case than i doubt they take a chance on Weeden unless they put Kaepernick to 3rd string or cut him. But keep in mind Carolina did draft Clausen in the 2nd round only to draft Cam in the first the following year so anything is possible.

Superchop 7
04-19-2012, 11:17 AM

The reason his stock slipped is because on tape he looks great but when the kid is in front of you he looks average and talent evaluators say "huh"? I put more credence in game tape because there are people whose switch gets flipped when live bullets are flying, we call them gamers, guys like Dumerville that evaluators say no but the tape says yes.

Northman
04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
The reason his stock slipped is because on tape he looks great but when the kid is in front of you he looks average and talent evaluators say "huh"? I put more credence in game tape because there are people whose switch gets flipped when live bullets are flying, we call them gamers, guys like Dumerville that evaluators say no but the tape says yes.

You might, but the actual evaluaters dont. If the talent evaluation meant nothing than no one's stock would be positive or negative including guys like RGIII and Luck. Simply looking at game tape for college is a very poor measuring stick considering Tebow was awesome at the college level too.

Jsteve01
04-19-2012, 11:32 AM
the stats for foles look wonderful if you use whiteout to cover his win loss record. His stats dropped considerably in in close or tied games, which tells me he's a Kyle Orton clone...or as I've said repeatedly. Kyle at least knew how to win in college. Foles couldn't even figure that one out.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2012, 11:41 AM
You can't go though life rejecting QB's based on win/loss record, especially at a school like Arizona. If that's a deal breaker for you you'll miss out on both Cutler and Elway.......

NightTerror218
04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I think this guy is pretty raw and a big project. I like cousins more. Osweiner says he is good because of his height and that his size keeps him upright and it takes 2-3 guys to get him down......he will get his world rocked when NFL players hit him.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2012, 01:14 PM
That's what gets me about Osweiler, for a tall QB it's his mobility that stands out, relatively speaking, where usually you associate tall QB's with arm strength.......

Superchop 7
04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
To put it in perspective....CU put 48 on the Arizona Defense iatn November. Talent evaluators have a job to do.....they give him a C and the film grades an A. When a guy grades A on both accounts he will be drafted very high.....a slot we do not have and one we will not have with Manning onboard. Keep in mind that talent evaluators thought Poe was the second coming and placed him top 10 in the draft. It took film study to see that he was not dominant in games. Cousins is definately more pro ready....no doubt but once Foles learns the system he has a higher ceiling. As for Orton....Cousins is the similar player, he was in a short intermediate passing game....but Cousins is a leader where Orton was not.

NightTerror218
04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
I watched a lot of Foles and was never a fan of his. I was not impressed. When you put him on the same field as Luck or Barkley he was nothing in comparison to them. I know the other 2 are far better then Foles but he should have at least looked like a decent Qb instead he disappeared completely.

TXBRONC
04-20-2012, 08:53 AM

IIRC what talent evaluator harped on was Dumervil being 5'11". Because obviously players who are 5'11" don't know how to play defensive end.
'

Jsteve01
04-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah all of Dooms measurables were excellent other than height