PDA

View Full Version : The possibility of Denver pursuing Lions' defensive tackle Nick Fairley in a trade.

Magnificent Seven
04-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Nick Fairley a good fit in Denver?

In our AFC West chat earlier Thursday, I was flooded with questions about the possibility of Denver pursuing Detroit defensive tackle Nick Fairley in a trade.

I can see why the question was asked.

Defensive tackle is Denver’s greatest need. Denver vice president John Elway admitted that the Broncos considered packaging several draft choices to nab a falling Fairley during the 2011 draft. Fairley dealt with injuries as a rookie and he didn’t make much of an impact. He was arrested this week on marijuana charges.

Again, I get why the question was so popular Thursday. Still, I question if a trade would occur.

The Lions’ coaching staff likes Fairley and it foresees him being part of a dominant front line, so he very likely would be difficult to obtain.

Also, he’d probably be expensive for Denver to get if it wanted him. He was the No. 13 overall pick last season, so I’m sure the Lions would want a first-round pick this year. Would he be worth the No. 25 pick to Denver? Maybe, but again, there would be a lot of obstacles to get over first beginning with the Lions making him available.

I broached the idea with Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. and he didn’t see a great fit.

“It seems strange to me, as Detroit just used a high draft pick on the guy,” Williamson said. “He was hurt a lot last year, so I don’t think we ever saw the true Fairley. But I do think he is a much better interior pass-rusher than run defender. At the right price, sure, but why would Detroit give up on him so quick? And I think Denver needs more of a run plugger.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/42609/nick-fairley-a-good-fit-in-denver

SR
04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Not after the pot ordeal. Won't happen.

MOtorboat
04-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Oh criminy.

Really?

Magnificent Seven
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
It would be solid.... Front 4- Dumervil, Vickerson or Ty Warren, Fairley, and Ayers.

UnderArmour
04-05-2012, 08:07 PM
There is no way Detroit would do this. If they would, absolutely pull the trigger without question.

MOtorboat
04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
B.J. Raji and Justin Tuck would be awesome additions, too.

SR
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
It would be solid.... Front 4- Dumervil, Vickerson or Ty Warren, Fairley, and Ayers.

What did Fairley prove to you last year that would really make you think this team would want to pursue him JUST AFTER he was caught with weed?

Nomad
04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Pass

OrangeHoof
04-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Just because the Broncos have a history of unloading high draft choices after just one or two seasons doesn't mean other NFL teams are that crazy. My goodness, I just put the Broncos front office on a lower plane than the Lions front office. That's sad.

underrated29
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I think you mean Puff Puff pass nomad. Puff Puff pass

DenBronx
04-05-2012, 11:38 PM
meh...not for our 25th pick.

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Just because the Broncos have a history of unloading high draft choices after just one or two seasons doesn't mean other NFL teams are that crazy. My goodness, I just put the Broncos front office on a lower plane than the Lions front office. That's sad.
The front office that made those moves is no longer in charge.......

OrangeHoof
04-06-2012, 01:49 AM
The front office that made those moves is no longer in charge.......

Did they not just trade a former first-round choice of a mere two years ago for a fourth-round choice?

Now, if the Lions want to trade us Fairley for a fourth-round choice, they are welcome to do that but I am betting they wouldn't.

Shananahan
04-06-2012, 02:25 AM
As ridiculous and absurd as this 'gossip' is, it's even funnier that some people are acting like he wouldn't be worth trading for.

"Why would we want Nick Fairley?!? He smokes pot."

Simple Jaded
04-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Did they not just trade a former first-round choice of a mere two years ago for a fourth-round choice?

Now, if the Lions want to trade us Fairley for a fourth-round choice, they are welcome to do that but I am betting they wouldn't.Who are you referring to? The 5th prospect they wasted a No1 on? I keep forgetting about him. So glad he's gone.

The Lions won't make that trade because Fairley was actually a 1st round prospect. Go figure.

Btw, it was a 4th and a 6th.......

Northman
04-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Uh, no way. And considering i was on Fairley's bandwagon before he was drafted that says something. No way do we make this trade.

Northman
04-06-2012, 07:26 AM
As ridiculous and absurd as this 'gossip' is, it's even funnier that some people are acting like he wouldn't be worth trading for.

Not for that price. He's done nothing at the NFL level and has off the field issues to go along with injury issues. It would be moronic to trade a high draft choice for someone who hasnt done shit and cant stay on the field. lmao

TXBRONC
04-06-2012, 07:41 AM
What Denver would have to give up to get him is way to much. As North pointed out he hasn't done anything except to get himself into trouble off the field. I was on the bandwagon for Dareus but if Denver had chosen Fairley I wouldn't have complained but circumstances have changed. At any rate, why would Detriot want to give up on him after just one season?

SOCALORADO.
04-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Not for that price. He's done nothing at the NFL level and has off the field issues to go along with injury issues. It would be moronic to trade a high draft choice for someone who hasnt done shit and cant stay on the field. lmao

Yeah, i dont know why folks are sucking on Fairleys dingleberries. Hes done nothing at the NFL level yet that would warrant anything higher than a 5th round pick. He hasnt done shit and cant stay on the field.

Cugel
04-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I suppose that the minute a player is selected by another team he suddenly sucks. :coffee:

The Lions would NEVER trade Fairley at this point. Why give up on him before you even see what he can do? He has tremendous talent and potential and was considered by many the most dominant player in the draft. He was injured his first year. Well, injuries happen in the NFL all the time. There's no reason to think he can't come back from injury.

Second, he was busted for pot. That's a bigger concern for NFL teams because of the possibility of a suspension, but it's his first offense. Unless he is likely to do it again, you just work with him.

They've invested too much money in him to give him up now.

As for the Broncos they wanted Fairley and considered trading UP in the draft to acquire him, but the Lions used a top 15 pick to grab him and the Broncos were hoping he'd fall a lot farther than #13 before making their move.

The character concerns for Fairley continue though and the Lions must be concerned. The reason he fell out of the top 5 was that NFL teams considered him "a top 10 talent, but a top 10 bonehead." He just proved that again of course. The Broncos would probably still want him, but there's just no way the Lions would accept a trade.

And NO, comparisons to Tim Tebow are worthless, because nobody WANTED Tebow! The Broncos were lucky to get a 4th round pick for him. He was NEVER a consensus 1st round pick to begin with -- except in the diseased mind of Josh McMoron. No other team would have taken him in the 1st.

And after watching Tebow trying to throw a forward pass, and watching the Teboner circus in Denver no other team wanted any part of his fans either -- except the Jets.

I'm betting that the Jets management is going to regret that decision before too much longer, when Tebow's idiot faithful are screaming for TEbow every time Sanchez throws an incomplete pass! :coffee:

Cugel
04-06-2012, 03:25 PM
P.S. the Lions have bigger problems than Fairley with RB Nick Leshoure, who was arrested for "trying to eat the weed" at a traffic stop.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press confirms Leshoure is being arraigned for the second charge in a Berrien County Court on Monday. In February, Leshoure was cited for possession, pleaded to a lesser charge of "using" marijuana, and paid a fine. On March 12, Leshoure was pulled over by police and allegedly "tried to eat the weed" to avoid an additional charge. Leshoure can almost certainly expect a league-imposed suspension at some point in 2012.

Man! NEVER eat the weed! Eating raw weed is a really bad idea. Trust me on this! :laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
You all are a friggin trip. Ya wanted him REAL BAD for the #2 OVERALL PICK. Now he's only worth a 5th??? He was an a-hole before the draft, why is a bit of weed a problem? HI-STERICAL!

underrated29
04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
id gladly give #25 overall for him. Hes way better than anyone we are going to be getting in this draft at DT.

Canmore
04-06-2012, 05:17 PM
id gladly give #25 overall for him. Hes way better than anyone we are going to be getting in this draft at DT.

Millan is no longer running the Lions.

HammeredOut
04-07-2012, 01:21 AM
The Lions would NEVER trade Fairley at this point. Why give up on him before you even see what he can do? He has tremendous talent and potential and was considered by many the most dominant player in the draft.

As for the Broncos they wanted Fairley and considered trading UP in the draft to acquire him, but the Lions used a top 15 pick to grab him and the Broncos were hoping he'd fall a lot farther than #13 before making their move.
The character concerns for Fairley continue though and the Lions must be concerned. The reason he fell out of the top 5 was that NFL teams considered him "a top 10 talent, but a top 10 bonehead." He just proved that again of course. The Broncos would probably still want him, but there's just no way the Lions would accept a trade.
:

The Lions will not part with Fairley.... I can't see John making that phone call.. This is all rhetoric .... He never had a healthy season, he came off that ankle surgery, and was never the same... He was rehabbing most of last season... The Lions will not lose value that fast... Fairley fell to the Lions, because nobody expected that amount of QBs in the top 15...

Teams are starting to make the NY Giants build along the interior... Detroit is one of them.... Along with the Bills... This will never happen with Fairley coming to Denver...

DenBronx
04-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Ship Moreno and a 2nd and sure...pull the trigger. Lions need a RB and we need a DT.

Then go draft Lamar Miller at 25 or get on the phone with Carolina and see if they will take 2013 2nd round or 2012 3rd for Stewart.

wayninja
04-07-2012, 02:34 AM

"Why would we want Nick Fairley?!? He smokes pot."

Seems sound to me. Why would we trade for a possible liability?

I have nothing against pot morally, but my hunch is that pot and physical mastery aren't exactly bosom buddies. And that's disregarding the legality/off field issues.

Let's just say I'm glad we went with Miller instead of NF.

Nomad
04-07-2012, 10:12 AM

I have nothing against pot morally, but my hunch is that pot and physical mastery aren't exactly bosom buddies. And that's disregarding the legality/off field issues.

That's it......he is a liability. I have nothing against smoking pot but the NFL and law does. He gets caught, he gets in trouble and is no good to the team when disciplined.

Fairley has the talent. It's his work ethic that is in question. It's too bad, it seems Detriot has all this talent and no leadership.

Yes, I'm glad the BRONCOS took Miller over Fairley.

Chef Zambini
04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
more than half of the players in the NFL smoke dope. only a few get caught.
Fairly, hell yeh we could use him. but i doubt the LIONS would be willing to part with him.

LTC Pain
04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I doubt the Lions would want to part with Fairley and at what price? We need our draft picks to build a team around PM.

Cugel
04-07-2012, 11:05 AM

They were never CONSIDERING Nick Fairley at #2. NOBODY was. Dareus was a much safer pick, and he proved it last season for the Bills where he racked up over 40 tackles and 5.5 sacks as a rookie. He's headed for All-Pro in the next few years.

Fairley terrified scouts with his attitude and that's only continued in the pros. Injured and now busted for pot.

Would Denver want him? OF COURSE! His talent level makes him potentially a elite DT. But, would Detroit give up on him at this point?

Never in Hell! So, the whole argument is pointless. :coffee:

HammeredOut
04-07-2012, 12:32 PM
They were never CONSIDERING Nick Fairley at #2. NOBODY was. Dareus was a much safer pick, and he proved it last season for the Bills where he racked up over 40 tackles and 5.5 sacks as a rookie. He's headed for All-Pro in the next few years.
:

Look back at the tape if you have access to it on Dareus.... in 3 of those sacks, he was unblocked and those were missed assignments.... I would say 2.5 sacks were because of skill.... The only reason why he was unblocked was because he lined up at End, and the Bills had 7 coming... It was the same play in those 3 sacks... Im still not a believer in Dareus being anything more then just an above average player, not being a superstar, or franchise player... The reason why i say this is because, at the combine.. like 8 QBs, 15RBs, 9WRs, 4CBs, and a whack load of others had more on the Bench Press... Dareus has the strength of a Las Vegas Stripper...

SmilinAssasSin27
04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Look back at the tape if you have access to it on Dareus.... in 3 of those sacks, he was unblocked and those were missed assignments.... I would say 2.5 sacks were because of skill.... The only reason why he was unblocked was because he lined up at End, and the Bills had 7 coming... It was the same play in those 3 sacks... Im still not a believer in Dareus being anything more then just an above average player, not being a superstar, or franchise player... The reason why i say this is because, at the combine.. like 8 QBs, 15RBs, 9WRs, 4CBs, and a whack load of others had more on the Bench Press... Dareus has the strength of a Las Vegas Stripper...

Dareus ws nothing but dominant in college and had a very good rookie year. Nitpick all ya want...didn't Bret Favre take a dive so that a certain Giant could break a sack record???

TXBRONC
04-12-2012, 12:03 PM

Fairley terrified scouts with his attitude and that's only continued in the pros. Injured and now busted for pot.

Would Denver want him? OF COURSE! His talent level makes him potentially a elite DT. But, would Detroit give up on him at this point?

Never in Hell! So, the whole argument is pointless. :coffee:

EFX did consider taking Fairley but not until he had slipped out of the top ten.

Chef Zambini
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
sack, schmack.
Darius has his greatest impact as a run stopper.
we need that value from our on interior defensive linemen.

O-ManePunisher
04-14-2012, 06:08 PM
The hell with it do it