PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bannan visits Broncos as defensive tackle option

Denver Native (Carol)
04-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Veteran defensive tackle Justin Bannan visited the Broncos on Thursday at the team's Dove Valley headquarters.

Bannan knows his way around the facility, having started a career-most 16 games for the Broncos in 2010. He then started 14 games for the St. Louis Rams last season.

Although the former University of Colorado standout is two weeks shy of his 33rd birthday, Bannan has been a late-bloomer. He was a starter in three of his past four seasons after he was a rotational player in his first six seasons with Buffalo and Baltimore.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20334414/justin-bannan-visits-broncos-defensive-tackle-option

Cugel
04-05-2012, 05:39 PM
"Late bloomer"? Seriously? :eek:

How about just saying"he's 33 and over the hill." :geezer:

Well, if you count "blooming" from "damn lucky to have a job in this league" to "starting although nobody can say why."

Justin Bannan is a total SCRUB! God, I hope this doesn't mean they are going to pass on drafting a DT again this year and just go with a DT rotation of Ty Warren :behindsofa:, Vickerson :faint:, and Justin Bannan. :ahhhhh:

Edit: I forgot to mention the totally awesome Ryan McBean. In addition to how utterly great he is, he's facing a 6 game suspension to start the season. :coffee:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
...and the peasants rejoiced...

spikerman
04-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I actually like Bannan, but I think he's a rotational player. What concerns me is that it looks like the Broncos might, yet again, try to get by with a patchwork d-line. Why is it that I, as a casual fan, can see that it has been an area of weakness for years, but the front office can't? I hope they do bring in Bannan and still focus on DT in the draft, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll be very disappointed to see the Broncos' new toy sitting on the bench game after game as opposing defenses keep it away from him by running it down their throat as happens every year and every year it seems to take the team by surprise.

MOtorboat
04-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing.

dogfish
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
lmfao! i jokingly predicted a while ago that we'd bring back either jamaal williams or bannan. . . :laugh:

totally par for the course, for whatever reason. . . i hope fox and del taco can pull some magic rabbits out of their ass, or something. . .

dogfish
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing.

pretty awesome, huh?

:D

MOtorboat
04-05-2012, 06:09 PM
pretty awesome, huh?

:D

Maybe we should see what Michael Dean Perry is up to.

underrated29
04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
i thought this was a joke.....Seriously!
And the fact that they considered bringing back stokley, dallas clark and this guy? Im losing faith in these guys.

spikerman
04-05-2012, 06:11 PM

He should be easy to find, I think he's still trying to get off the Mile High Field.

dogfish
04-05-2012, 06:18 PM

i'm still half-surprised we haven't reached out to kris jenkins, in all seriousness. . .

SpringsBroncoFan
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
So does this mean they think he's better than Thomas??? :eek:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-05-2012, 08:36 PM
So does this mean they think he's better than Thomas??? :eek:

from article:

"The Broncos have a need for a solid defensive tackle. They lost one starter, Brodrick Bunkley, who signed with the New Orleans Saints for a deal that featured $8.9 million in guarantees, and the other starter, Marcus Thomas, is mulling three offers, including one from Denver."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20334414/justin-bannan-visits-broncos-defensive-tackle-option

OrangeHoof
04-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Justin Bannan visits Broncos as defensive tackle option

Well, I sure HOPE he visits as a defensive tackle option. He'd certainly suck as a third down running back option.

chazoe60
04-05-2012, 10:25 PM
From Bunk to bunk. What a downgrade!

weazel
04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
so it doesnt matter who runs this team, year after year and now decade after decade, they just dont care about the D-line and grab the cheapest, most useless warm body to throw in there. I would laugh but its just not funny anymore.

Cugel
04-06-2012, 12:28 PM

:laugh:

I hear that Sam Adams is still available! :geezer:

Cugel
04-06-2012, 12:30 PM
so it doesnt matter who runs this team, year after year and now decade after decade, they just dont care about the D-line and grab the cheapest, most useless warm body to throw in there. I would laugh but its just not funny anymore.

Well, they're replacing Marcus Thomas, a semi-useless warm YOUNG body for a totally useless, OLD stiff in Bannan.

It's not as if Thomas and Bunkley were All-Pros. It's just that they aren't being replaced by anything better. If anything, he is simply what Marcus Thomas will look like in about 5 years time -- from mediocre to utterly worn out.

I seriously thought Justin Bannan was retiring after he got cut. I can't believe he's coming back here again as a re-tread. :eek:

This just reminds me of the annual parade of cripples and rejects Shanahan used to bring in. (Jamal Williams, Sam Adams, Amon Gordon, Antwon Burton, Jimmy Kennedy, Dewayne Robertson, etc.).

Sure with Dumervil and Ayers at opposing DE positions and with Miller rushing the passer their DL won't be as bad as when the Broncos had that Hall of Famer -- Ebeneezer Ekuban playing DE, but still you can't have swiss cheese in the middle of the defensive line and have it be any good.

Bunkley wasn't great at rushing the passer, (4 sacks), but Bannan simply can't do it at all. Never could. I suppose that by week 3 they'll tell us he can't play anymore due to a case of severe arthritis. :coffee:

SpringsBroncoFan
04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, they're replacing Marcus Thomas, a semi-useless warm YOUNG body for a totally useless, OLD stiff in Bannan.

It's not as if Thomas and Bunkley were All-Pros. It's just that they aren't being replaced by anything better. If anything, he is simply what Marcus Thomas will look like in about 5 years time -- from mediocre to utterly worn out.

I seriously thought Justin Bannan was retiring after he got cut. I can't believe he's coming back here again as a re-tread. :eek:

This just reminds me of the annual parade of cripples and rejects Shanahan used to bring in. (Jamal Williams, Sam Adams, Amon Gordon, Antwon Burton, Jimmy Kennedy, Dewayne Robertson, etc.).

Sure with Dumervil and Ayers at opposing DE positions and with Miller rushing the passer their DL won't be as bad as when the Broncos had that Hall of Famer -- Ebeneezer Ekuban playing DE, but still you can't have swiss cheese in the middle of the defensive line and have it be any good.

Bunkley wasn't great at rushing the passer, (4 sacks), but Bannan simply can't do it at all. Never could. I suppose that by week 3 they'll tell us he can't play anymore due to a case of severe arthritis. :coffee:

Hey, don't do that!!! You make it sound like we've already signed him!

I'm still holding out hope that we only brought Bannan in because Thomas was considering other offers... I'm still holding out hope the Broncos offer was at least competitive! :confused:

Cugel
04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Hey, don't do that!!! You make it sound like we've already signed him!

I'm still holding out hope that we only brought Bannan in because Thomas was considering other offers... I'm still holding out hope the Broncos offer was at least competitive! :confused:

Well, read this.

All of their workable salary cap space is gone, so the Broncos probably are done signing free agents. That means they likely won't re-sign Thomas. (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20303681/broncos-likely-finished-signing-free-agents-now)

Bannan would be cheaper than Thomas which is probably why they are considering him. He doesn't have any other teams that want him, so it's probably either the Broncos or retirement. I vote retirement. :coffee:

dogfish
04-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Well, read this.

Bannan would be cheaper than Thomas which is probably why they are considering him. He doesn't have any other teams that want him, so it's probably either the Broncos or retirement. I vote retirement. :coffee:

that's bullshit anyway-- PFT and even NFL.com have posted recent articles which list denver's remaining cap space at over 13 million, top ten in the league. . .

BroncoWave
04-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Posts like this make me laugh. Saying they simply don't care about the d-line is just ridiculous. Yeah, I'm sure they just don't put d-linemen on their draft board and don't look at them in free agency. That's totally the most logical answer.

Nomad
04-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Posts like this make me laugh. Saying they simply don't care about the d-line is just ridiculous. Yeah, I'm sure they just don't put d-linemen on their draft board and don't look at them in free agency. That's totally the most logical answer.

weazel's right though you don't have to take his word for it......the BRONCOS have proven it year after year.

Dapper Dan
04-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm going to wait until after the draft before I act like a little baby.

Nomad
04-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm going to wait until after the draft before I act like a little baby.

You're such a tough guy.:lol:

Chef Zambini
04-07-2012, 10:43 AM
wow people, calm yourselves down.
this is due dilligence.
first we accuse the F.O. for sleeping on the job, then chastize them for working out the needed talent.
this aint JMCD running the show, i trust the 2 johns.
If they want to take a look at banno, thats aok by me.
i TRUST their actions and decisions.
too much hostility for something that has not happened.
Glad you all have opinions, glad you all share them, thats why I am here to read this stuff, but c'mon folks, put down the pitch-forks and lower your caldrens of tar and bags of feathers.

Dapper Dan
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
You're such a tough guy.:lol:

People bitched about the FO not doing anything. All hope was lost. Then, of course, they got Manning, Porter, a couple of TEs, and another player or two. So I'm going to wait until after the draft before I start blasting the FO for neglecting the DT position.

Dapper Dan
04-07-2012, 10:45 AM
wow people, calm yourselves down.
this is due dilligence.
first we accuse the F.O. for sleeping on the job, then chastize them for working out the needed talent.
this aint JMCD running the show, i trust the 2 johns.
If they want to take a look at banno, thats aok by me.
i TRUST their actions and decisions.
too much hostility for something that has not happened.
Glad you all have opinions, glad you all share them, thats why I am here to read this stuff, but c'mon folks, put down the pitch-forks and lower your caldrens of tar and bags of feathers.

We finally agree on something.

Chef Zambini
04-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Well, I sure HOPE he visits as a defensive tackle option. He'd certainly suck as a third down running back option.

he could take goodmans job.

Nomad
04-07-2012, 10:48 AM
People bitched about the FO not doing anything. All hope was lost. Then, of course, they got Manning, Porter, a couple of TEs, and another player or two. So I'm going to wait until after the draft before I start blasting the FO for neglecting the DT position.

My comment was sarcasm, db! Laugh a little.

Though I am a FO head hunter when it comes to the DT position. I have my machete razor sharp and ready to go.:lol: BTW, I won't trust the FO until they have proven otherwise when it comes to fixing the dline regardless if EFXD is there.

Cugel
04-07-2012, 10:52 AM

They put them on their board all right, it's just that it's NEVER the right time or the right player for them to draft one!

They just don't value DTs as highly as other teams do. Teams like the Giants and Ravens grab DTs in the first few rounds year after year.

Denver would never do that. There's always somebody they like better and "we didn't want to reach for a DT." They preferred someone else in the first round, and then in the 2nd and 3rd they didn't like the players who were left on the board.

Teams often reach for DTs in the first and second rounds, knowing that really good ones are few and far between. It's risky, because sometimes you get a Haloti Ngata, and other times (like the Packers) you wind up with Justin Harrell (utter bust).

But there is no way to avoid spending the picks on DT. If you don't do it, then, like the Broncos you are overpaying worthless, washed up, has-been, old, injured or total SCRUB FA DTs. Every year you are hoping desperately that some cast-off BUST you sign will turn his career around in Denver or squeeze a couple more years of useful production out of his injured or aged body.

Or you are paying the MOON and STARS for some elite FA DT who then decides to take a nap on his huge pile of money -- like Albert Haynesworth.

The endless litany of cripples pass through Denver, together with the old, the infirm, the under-achiever former first rounders, hoping for a "fresh start to prove themselves", the marginal role players no longer wanted by their former teams who might somehow fill a hole in the rotation. . . . . interminable band of the unwanted and useless.

And this year is no different.

Broderick Bunkley -- the Eagles bust released and finally made good for a season -- so they under-bid for his services and he was snapped up for more money by NO.

Marcus Thomas -- whom nobody wanted as a draft pick because of his drug busts. Brought in and was mediocre for 4 years. But, still a starter in Denver last season.

Ryan McBean -- The utter scrub who's lucky to have a job.

Kevin Vickerson -- another unwanted FA who they thought "had potential" -- actually penciled in as a starter until inevitably he was injured.

Ty Warren -- released by the Patriots due to age and injury. Signed for an outrageous $4 million contract in the desperate hope that he could recapture his glory days of the mid 2000's. Torn triceps kept him out for the season, meaning he hasn't played a game since 2009. They're desperately counting on him again this year; hoping he can drag his aged body through one more season.

And now Justin Bannan. 33. Old and washed up. But, to the Broncos a real possibility -- if only because he's a warm body and he'd come cheap. :coffee:

These players are only the end of a very LOOONG list of worthless FAs going back to the mid-2000s.

They changed coaches, they changed their defensive philosophy every year, but they never change their view that DTs are over-drafted and and they won't "reach" for one.

And their defense sucks every single year. :coffee:

LTC Pain
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I dont want Bannan on the roster. He is not a step forward in improving the Broncos front seven. What woould be a step, IMHO, is the Broncos drafting two DTs with our first five picks.

silkamilkamonico
04-07-2012, 02:11 PM
LMAO at the intelligence around here

Do people honestly think Vince Wilfork is going to come walking through that door?

Take what you can get at this point.

Dapper Dan
04-07-2012, 02:59 PM
LMAO at the intelligence around here

Do people honestly think Vince Wilfork is going to come walking through that door?

Take what you can get at this point.
If the FO would get off their ass and come back from Durham then they could get Wilfork! :D

Softskull
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
He's a known quanity at this point and at least a camp body. Our begging Dline cant be horribly choosy at this stage of free agency.

spikerman
04-07-2012, 08:12 PM
He's a known quanity at this point and at least a camp body. Our begging Dline cant be horribly choosy at this stage of free agency.

This is the problem. It seems like the Broncos keep putting themselves in this position.

Softskull
04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
I agree, but they were working on this other FA early in the process that might help this team out.

spikerman
04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I agree, but they were working on this other FA early in the process that might help this team out.

I wouldn't be as critical if this was a one year thing.

pipes
04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
One more DT option, gone.

@AdamSchefter: RT @caplannfl: Buccaneers and DT Amobi Okoye agreed to a one-year, $2 mill deal, his agents Darin Morgan and Ian Greengross confirmed.

BroncoWave
04-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Man, if we draft a DT in the first round I wonder how many people stop posting because they will finally have nothing to bitch about. Seems like a lot of the posters here aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

spikerman
04-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Man, if we draft a DT in the first round I wonder how many people stop posting because they will finally have nothing to bitch about. Seems like a lot of the posters here aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.
I'm guessing most of us will be happy. Denver hasn't drafted a DT in the first round since 1997 and their interior DL always stinks. They try to patch it up with lower quality players and it never works. I think their history for the past 15 or so years and the fact that we're fans gives us the right and good reason to complain. Just my two cents.

Shazam!
04-08-2012, 12:48 AM

They put them on their board all right, it's just that it's NEVER the right time or the right player for them to draft one!

They just don't value DTs as highly as other teams do. Teams like the Giants and Ravens grab DTs in the first few rounds year after year.

Denver would never do that. There's always somebody they like better and "we didn't want to reach for a DT." They preferred someone else in the first round, and then in the 2nd and 3rd they didn't like the players who were left on the board.

Teams often reach for DTs in the first and second rounds, knowing that really good ones are few and far between. It's risky, because sometimes you get a Haloti Ngata, and other times (like the Packers) you wind up with Justin Harrell (utter bust).

But there is no way to avoid spending the picks on DT. If you don't do it, then, like the Broncos you are overpaying worthless, washed up, has-been, old, injured or total SCRUB FA DTs. Every year you are hoping desperately that some cast-off BUST you sign will turn his career around in Denver or squeeze a couple more years of useful production out of his injured or aged body.

Or you are paying the MOON and STARS for some elite FA DT who then decides to take a nap on his huge pile of money -- like Albert Haynesworth.

The endless litany of cripples pass through Denver, together with the old, the infirm, the under-achiever former first rounders, hoping for a "fresh start to prove themselves", the marginal role players no longer wanted by their former teams who might somehow fill a hole in the rotation. . . . . interminable band of the unwanted and useless.

Broderick Bunkley -- the Eagles bust released and finally made good for a season -- so they under-bid for his services and he was snapped up for more money by NO.

Marcus Thomas -- whom nobody wanted as a draft pick because of his drug busts. Brought in and was mediocre for 4 years. But, still a starter in Denver last season.

Kevin Vickerson -- another unwanted FA who they thought "had potential" -- actually penciled in as a starter until inevitably he was injured.

Ty Warren -- released by the Patriots due to age and injury. Signed for an outrageous $4 million contract in the desperate hope that he could recapture his glory days of the mid 2000's. Torn triceps kept him out for the season, meaning he hasn't played a game since 2009. They're desperately counting on him again this year; hoping he can drag his aged body through one more season.

And now Justin Bannan. 33. Old and washed up. But, to the Broncos a real possibility -- if only because he's a warm body and he'd come cheap. :coffee:

These players are only the end of a very LOOONG list of worthless FAs going back to the mid-2000s.

They changed coaches, they changed their defensive philosophy every year, but they never change their view that DTs are over-drafted and and they won't "reach" for one.

And their defense sucks every single year. :coffee:

I just cannot read all of that...

shank
04-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I just cannot read all of that...

it's ok, big words are hard. you'll get it someday, buddy. :inspiration:

Chef Zambini
04-08-2012, 08:33 AM

And their defense sucks every single year. :coffee:you make a compelling arguement

LTC Pain
04-08-2012, 08:54 AM

And you just did the same thing, only offering nothing to the discussion of the thread topic.

turftoad
04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
the lack of not persuing a DT and signing Bunk has got to be a sign that we will be pick one if not two DT's in this draft.

Nomad
04-08-2012, 11:21 AM
the lack of not persuing a DT and signing Bunk has got to be a sign that we will be pick one if not two DT's in this draft.

I would compare the BRONCOS view of DTs as someone trying to cover up a big hole in a sinking boat with duct tape. It may work for a little while but will eventually fail though hoping that if they keep applying duct tape it will eventually be fixed.

I'd be surprised if they take the BPA @ DT with the 1st pick but I won't be surprised if they take the BPA @ WO with the 1st pick.

dunk7
04-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Agreed, they probably think the draft talent is better than the free agent talent. I fully expect position draft strategy like we've seen in the past few years (load up on TE's and safeties). Going to draft 2-3 DT's hoping that at least one is a starter, hopefully 3 useable.

bcbronc
04-08-2012, 04:21 PM
This is the problem. It seems like the Broncos keep putting themselves in this position.

Don't disagree, but the one thing this year that has been different is that we've been reported to have at least talked to most of the top UFA DTs. I understand that talking to guys isn't the point, but it's a balancing act. Corners and DL tend to be overpriced as UFAs, overpaying for solid talent because it's the best available eventually bites you in the butt.

When the cap floor kicks in next year, there will be less wiggle room and a bad UFA signing could come back to haunt you the next couple of seasons. I want great DTs as much as anyone, but appreciate EFX staying calm and not making desperation offers. There is still the draft and trade opportunities to explore.

I'm guessing most of us will be happy. Denver hasn't drafted a DT in the first round since 1997 and their interior DL always stinks. They try to patch it up with lower quality players and it never works. I think their history for the past 15 or so years and the fact that we're fans gives us the right and good reason to complain. Just my two cents.

If by "their history" you mean Fox and Del Rio--and really their history is 100x more relevant than Shanny or McDaniel's at this point--then there is reason for optimism.

spikerman
04-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Don't disagree, but the one thing this year that has been different is that we've been reported to have at least talked to most of the top UFA DTs. I understand that talking to guys isn't the point, but it's a balancing act. Corners and DL tend to be overpriced as UFAs, overpaying for solid talent because it's the best available eventually bites you in the butt.

When the cap floor kicks in next year, there will be less wiggle room and a bad UFA signing could come back to haunt you the next couple of seasons. I want great DTs as much as anyone, but appreciate EFX staying calm and not making desperation offers. There is still the draft and trade opportunities to explore. Yeah, I try not to get too disappointed. Like I said in an earlier post, if this was a one or two year thing that would be different, but it's been this way since '97.

If by "their history" you mean Fox and Del Rio--and really their history is 100x more relevant than Shanny or McDaniel's at this point--then there is reason for optimism. I meant the Broncos as an organization and this is the perplexing thing to me. The Broncos have been through three different "administrations" since '97 and they've all done the same thing. The only constant has been Bowlen, and I doubt he would be telling the front office to ignore the importance of a strong DL.

Cugel
04-09-2012, 12:28 AM
I would compare the BRONCOS view of DTs as someone trying to cover up a big hole in a sinking boat with duct tape. It may work for a little while but will eventually fail though hoping that if they keep applying duct tape it will eventually be fixed.

I'd be surprised if they take the BPA @ DT with the 1st pick but I won't be surprised if they take the BPA @ WO with the 1st pick.

People can keep making all the excuses they want. But Denver still has ZERO DTs who are even AVERAGE by NFL standards. And they are not going to be able to draft FOUR DTs to replace the useless chodes they have now. :coffee:

Warren hasn't played since 2009. What makes anybody think he'll suddenly come in and be a star?

Vickerson? Scrub.

Ryan McBean? Suspended for 6 games to start the season. Not much good even when available.

A rookie? Can help, but you can't just throw a rookie DT in as starter and expect him to be great -- not if you're picking outside the top 10 anyway. There just aren't any sure-fire, can't-miss DTs available at #25.

If they had signed Okoye they could have gone into the season with Warren, Vickerson, Okoye and a rookie 1st round pick. That would be a mediocre DT rotation, but not horrible.

They started training camp LAST season with the idea of starting Vickerson and Warren and BOTH were injured and lost for the season. but at least they had Bunkley who totally saved their ass from having an even worse defense than they did!

I really wish both Vickerson and Warren had been healthy last year, because then it would have been obvious to EFX that they both are totally inadequate and they would have taken more serious action to find a FA DT to come in and start.

The Broncos were so lackadaisical that Okoye never even scheduled a visit here.

ShaneFalco
04-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Didnt like this guy at all as a Ram last year. even the cowboys ran for like 200+ yards on the Rams D. was sad.

DT is so deep in this draft class. we would be dumb to not pick up at least one.
WR, RB also very deep as well.
Oline and DBS i think there is alot less talent out of the first. unless you want janoris jenkins. lol
I would be seriously angry if we wasted another draft pick on another QB, sick of the endless carousel of QBs that pass thru Denver.

shank
04-09-2012, 08:13 AM
bring back jimmy kennedy!

Cugel
04-09-2012, 09:48 AM
bring back jimmy kennedy!

:laugh: That might be the quote of the month!

Of course Jimmy Kennedy was so bad that he didn't even make the 53 man roster!

Unlike the awesome Sam Adams or Antwon Burton, which tells you how great Jimmy Kennedy was! :coffee:

It's nice to think that no matter how bad things get, even Ryan McBean isn't THAT awful. Probably even Mich Unrein has more talent than the entire Broncos DT rotation of 4 years ago.

I might have to downgrade them if they re-sign Justin Bannan though. He really is that worthless. If you're going to keep useless chodes like they have, at least they should be YOUNG, not AGING stiffs! :laugh:

Canmore
04-09-2012, 10:31 PM
:laugh: That might be the quote of the month!

Of course Jimmy Kennedy was so bad that he didn't even make the 53 man roster!

Unlike the awesome Sam Adams or Antwon Burton, which tells you how great Jimmy Kennedy was! :coffee:

It's nice to think that no matter how bad things get, even Ryan McBean isn't THAT awful. Probably even Mich Unrein has more talent than the entire Broncos DT rotation of 4 years ago.

I might have to downgrade them if they re-sign Justin Bannan though. He really is that worthless. If you're going to keep useless chodes like they have, at least they should be YOUNG, not AGING stiffs! :laugh:

Is there a noticeable difference between a young stiff and an aging stiff?

pipes
04-09-2012, 10:39 PM

An aging stiff has old balls attached to it.
Gross

Cugel
04-10-2012, 01:20 AM

Sure there is! With a YOUNG stiff you know exactly what you are getting; at least he's not going to get any worse. But with an OLD stiff you don't.

A player who was once good but whose body has given out and he can't play at a high level anymore can be deceiving. That's the trouble with Ty Warren. He looks good on paper. "Maybe they're getting the OLD Ty Warren of 3-4 years ago who was a stud."

Only they're not. They're getting a 33 year old guy who hasn't played a down since 2009 due to a series of injuries. Now he's reportedly healthy again, but for how long? And can he really be expected to regain the form he had 3-4 years ago?

Think of Jamal Williams. When he was in his prime he was a real FORCE for the Chargers. He was an elite DT in this league. But, years of battling in the trenches took its toll on his body until when he was released by San Diego and came to Denver he was a worthless shell of the player he once was.

In his mind he knew what needed to be done, where he needed to go and how to make the play, but his body just couldn't do it anymore.

Same thing with Sam Adams. Sam Adams if you've forgotten or never knew was an integral part of the most dominating defense of all time -- the 2000 Ravens. He was huge and an immovable wall along with Tony Siragusa.

Teams tried but just couldn't run against them because no OL could block them effectively. They stonewalled the offensive line and permitted Ray Lewis and their LBs to run around and make plays.

But, by the time he came to Denver he just couldn't play anymore. I remember watching him just flat knocked over like a bowling pin on a goal-line stand by an OL and shaking my head. The RB just ran right through the space he'd vacated.

Denver has a horrible history of acquiring guys just like this: washed up formerly good players who can't cut it anymore. Or guys who failed with the team that drafted them and have been released, allowing Denver to bring them in and "give them a second chance."

That almost never worked either: Gerrard Warren, Courtney Brown, Ebeneezer Ekuban, Ron Fields, DeWayne Robertson. . . . I could list about 10 more, but you get the idea. All former first or second round draft picks who failed and were let go by their former teams. And then they came here and weren't any better. :coffee:

Instead of drafting good young DTs in the first or second round, since 2001 they have brought in an endless parade of stiffs, young and old.

And they're always trying to patch the line with band-aids and duct-tape instead of drafting a couple of good DTs and sticking with them for 6 or 8 years like other teams do.

Chef Zambini
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
a rubutle:
grant hill,
they said this guy was washed up and over the hill when he came to phoenix.
teams all hoped thy could get some of the amazing grant hill that came out of college, pre- injury.

well Grant came in contact with the highly touted and very successful suns training staff.!

Their accomplishments with grant as well as aging vets like shaq and NASH are well documented!
Our Broncos new training staff comes from the same organization !
I just want to put that point out there for ANY player who seems to be over the hill or a constant visitor to the training room and the injury report.

Eventually some of you may realise that one of the BEST things ELWAY has done for or broncos is dump that worthless piece of shit tuten and brought in some legitimate exercise physiologists who can keep our players healthy and on the field!!!

Cugel
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
He should be easy to find, I think he's still trying to get off the Mile High Field.

And Sam Adams is still crawling his way up the tunnel. :laugh:

I think whether or not they draft a DT they are going to try and sign some cast-off FA come June or July. That's been the plan for the last 6 years, and since they haven't signed any FAs it's looking like they will either try and trade for one for a late round draft pick or else (more likely) wait until some over-the-hill burn-out or underachiever is cut by his former team.

As long as he'll come cheap! That's the most important point! We don't want to spend too much of Pat Bowlen's money on DTs now! :coffee:

Cugel
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Eventually some of you may realise that one of the BEST things ELWAY has done for or broncos is dump that worthless piece of shit tuten and brought in some legitimate exercise physiologists who can keep our players healthy and on the field!!!

Keep them healthy? You mean like Denver's starting DTs from a year ago, Ty Warren and Vickerson? Oh, wait. . . . :coffee:

Cugel
04-10-2012, 11:52 AM
grant hill,
they said this guy was washed up and over the hill when he came to phoenix.
teams all hoped thy could get some of the amazing grant hill that came out of college, pre- injury.

well Grant came in contact with the highly touted and very successful suns training staff.!

Their accomplishments with grant as well as aging vets like shaq and NASH are well documented!
Our Broncos new training staff comes from the same organization !
I just want to put that point out there for ANY player who seems to be over the hill or a constant visitor to the training room and the injury report.

For over 200 years during the Middle Ages Europeans desperately searched for an easy ocean route to the Spice Islands of Asia to obtain the fabulous riches of the far-east. Why were cloves, ginger, cinnamon and spices worth several times their weight in gold?

Because there was no refrigeration and people had to eat rotting meat. Spices concealed the taste of meat that had gone bad.

You can dress up a rotting carcass with cloves and ginger, and conceal the smell, but you can't turn it into a fresh cut of prime beef!

Just ask Dewayne Robertson, Sam Adams, Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, Ty Warren, Courtney Brown, etc., etc., . . . . Now suddenly it's going to work? :coffee: