PDA

View Full Version : Does Elway Plan to Draft a QB in 2012?

Npba900
04-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I'd like to see Elway use the Broncos 2nd-3rd pick on one of these guys:

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
Nick Foles, Arizona
Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Either of these four QB's could sit and learn from Manning for 3 years and be ready to take over once Manning retires.

RebelRocker
04-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Nick Foles, Arizona

Either of these four QB's could sit and learn from Manning for 3 years and be ready to take over once Manning retires.

Osweiler in the 2nd-3rd round. He's the ideal prospect to groom behind Manning. Raw, but has a ton of upside.

CoachChaz
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Too many holes to bother with players that "might" have an impact in 3 or 4 years

Slick
04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
I hope not. To hell with the future, we need to win now.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Too many holes to bother with players that "might" have an impact in 3 or 4 years

True. The draft is a risk. However, had the Packers believed the same scenario they would have never drafted Rodgers to sit and learn and grow under Farve. With Manning here as the Broncos QB for the next 2-4 years, now would be a great time to copy cat what the Packers did.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM

You can't have a future if you have no long term vision. Why not win now with Manning and have the vision for winning in the future.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
depends on the players that fall. But I agree that now is the time to build for NOW. Taking a high round pick on a QB at this point doesn't make sense. However, if you see a kid that has all the tools, the size, and some potential to be a long-term project, then I think we should take them in the 6th or 7th. Plan on them having the time to sit behind a true master of the NFL without using up high round resources.

Slick
04-05-2012, 10:15 AM
You can't have a future if you have no long term vision. Why not win now with Manning and have the vision for winning in the future.

I don't think we can do both. I think we forced ourselves to sell out for the time that Manning is here. I'm fine with that, but I can't see drafting project players or guys who simply won't play, at least not for the first 3 or 4 rounds. If anything, I'd be packaging picks to move up and get the 2,3, or possibly 4 best players we can get.

Slick
04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Edit: Posted the same thing twice.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Interesting outlook. Can you really wait until the 6th or 7th rounds to find the next Terrell Davis or Tom Brady. Taking a QB between the 2-3rd rounds who has loads of potential and talents and allowing them to sit and learn from a future HOFer is a win-win situation....its not only visionary; its common since as well.

Buff
04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't like the idea of drafting a prospect QB this year.

We have too many holes to fill in the draft. Peyton will need 99.9% of the reps to get back in game shape. We expect Manning to be here for 3-4 years at the minimum. We still don't have the playbook 100% nailed down, so it'll probably be a work in progress for much of this first season.

It just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. That said, I hate the idea of Caleb Hanie as our backup, so I wouldn't hate a TJ Yates type of late rounder just to get another arm in camp.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Interesting outlook. Can you really wait until the 6th or 7th rounds to find the next Terrell Davis or Tom Brady. Taking a QB between the 2-3rd rounds who has loads of potential and talents and allowing them to sit and learn from a future HOFer is a win-win situation....its not only visionary; its common since as well.

I see what you are saying. CAN you find one late, the odds are highly against it, for sure. But can you afford to use high round draft picks on a player that is PLANNED to sit for 3 years at this point? No. The Packers didn't plan on Rodgers sitting for 3 years, they literally thought Favre was retiring the next year. So he was supposed to sit for ONE year. It was a happy accident on that part, because I would bet a lot of money that if they knew Brett was planning to stay in the NFL for another 5 years, they wouldn't have drafted Rodgers at all.

So Aaron isn't exactly a good example, imo.

If Manning was only to be around for another year, then we absolutely look for the team's future QB. But I just think its a BAD use of picks to take high round players with the INTENTION of sitting them on the bench for the next 3-4 years. Hell, their rookie contract is up by the time you plan to start them.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I see what you are saying. CAN you find one late, the odds are highly against it, for sure. But can you afford to use high round draft picks on a player that is PLANNED to sit for 3 years at this point? No. The Packers didn't plan on Rodgers sitting for 3 years, they literally thought Favre was retiring the next year. So he was supposed to sit for ONE year. It was a happy accident on that part, because I would bet a lot of money that if they knew Brett was planning to stay in the NFL for another 5 years, they wouldn't have drafted Rodgers at all.

So Aaron isn't exactly a good example, imo.

If Manning was only to be around for another year, then we absolutely look for the team's future QB. But I just think its a BAD use of picks to take high round players with the INTENTION of sitting them on the bench for the next 3-4 years. Hell, their rookie contract is up by the time you plan to start them.

Point well taken. However, the players we draft between rounds 2-4 may take 2-3 years to develop/start as well; same is the scenario if you pick a QB between rounds 2-3 who may take 2-3 years to step into the starting job. Either way you are taking risks. But then again, that's what the draft is all about---risk.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Point well taken. However, the players we draft between rounds 2-4 may take 2-3 years to develop/start as well;

The difference is where in one scenario you you PLAN on them sitting, while in another you PLAN on them playing as they develop. I wouldn't complain about a good QB prospect being drafted, but at this point I think its wasteful. 2 years down the road, then I think would be the time to use the strategy you are talking.

I just don't think a QB needs 3-4 years to sit. I think 1 season to sit is plenty. :beer:

Npba900
04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
The difference is where in one scenario you you PLAN on them sitting, while in another you PLAN on them playing as they develop. I wouldn't complain about a good QB prospect being drafted, but at this point I think its wasteful. 2 years down the road, then I think would be the time to use the strategy you are talking.

I just don't think a QB needs 3-4 years to sit. I think 1 season to sit is plenty. :beer:

Here's what I think we need to guard against. It will be difficult to draft a high caliber QB if for the next 2-4 years we are winning and averaging 11-13 wins a seasons; which means you draft lower in the pecking order. Its going to be difficult to find a QB in the draft who will be ready to be a full time starter the 2nd year.

That's why if you can, you draft a QB that has high end potential now and allow them to learn to play at an NFL QB level without being thrust into the starting lineup too soon; while having the luxury of learning behind your current starting QB who won't be starting in 3-4 years.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 11:01 AM
That's why if you can, you draft a QB that has high end potential now and allow them to learn to play at an NFL QB level without being thrust into the starting lineup too soon; while having the luxury of learning behind your current starting QB who won't be starting in 3-4 years.

But again, I don't think a QB needs 3-4 years to sit. To draft a HIGH round player to sit, doesn't make much sense when high round players generally are drafted to help the team now. While you use 2nd round draft choices to sit, that player could be a 4th year veteran by the time you are asking the other to finally get on the field.

I don't think that a 2nd or 3rd round player needs 3-4 years of sitting time to get up to speed. Those that have sat, said they got most of their learning from actually playing, and that they didn't feel sitting did them much good.

There will be other 3 round QBs 2 years down the road to take as protege's to Peyton, when the very end of his career is much more in sight.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't like the idea of drafting a prospect QB this year.

We have too many holes to fill in the draft. Peyton will need 99.9% of the reps to get back in game shape. We expect Manning to be here for 3-4 years at the minimum. We still don't have the playbook 100% nailed down, so it'll probably be a work in progress for much of this first season.

It just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. That said, I hate the idea of Caleb Hanie as our backup, so I wouldn't hate a TJ Yates type of late rounder just to get another arm in camp.

Every year you will have many holes to fill due mainly to FA, salary caps, career ending injuries of players and busted draft choices. Teams will always be faced with the decision/choices of do they draft players out of positional needs or best player available at that time of the draft order or draft year.

When it comes to the NFL draft teams must take the traditional strategies and strategies of thinking outside the box mindset to win the risk-rewards of the draft.

OrangeHoof
04-05-2012, 11:10 AM
True. The draft is a risk. However, had the Packers believed the same scenario they would have never drafted Rodgers to sit and learn and grow under Farve. With Manning here as the Broncos QB for the next 2-4 years, now would be a great time to copy cat what the Packers did.

Remember Tommy Maddox? That was the first-round QB the Broncos drafted when they thought Elway only had a few years left. Total waste of a pick even though Maddox had brief glory with the Giants and Steelers.

Drafting Aaron Rodgers essentially forced the Packers to get rid of Favre while he still had some game left. It turned out better for the Packers than drafting Maddox did for the Broncos but I still see it as a mistake. Get the guy you need about two years before the star QB is done.

We should be drafting Manning's replacement in 2014 at the earliest. Otherwise, you're paying for an expensive clipboard holder who will divide the fans between the aging star quarterback and the potential-filled future star.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 11:14 AM
But again, I don't think a QB needs 3-4 years to sit. To draft a HIGH round player to sit, doesn't make much sense when high round players generally are drafted to help the team now. While you use 2nd round draft choices to sit, that player could be a 4th year veteran by the time you are asking the other to finally get on the field.

I don't think that a 2nd or 3rd round player needs 3-4 years of sitting time to get up to speed. Those that have sat, said they got most of their learning from actually playing, and that they didn't feel sitting did them much good.

There will be other 3 round QBs 2 years down the road to take as protege's to Peyton, when the very end of his career is much more in sight.

I would only use this draft strategy for QB's only. Because the QB position is unique within itself with all the responsibility's and unique skill set it takes to play the position at a high level in the NFL. You draft a QB at 21-22 years of age and allow them to sit and learn for 3-4 years, they are only 24-26 years old when they get the starting nod. Not only at this is the QB older and stronger, they would have had 3-4 years to mature and let the game come-to-them; now you have a seasoned starter who may have a 12 year career as your starting franchise QB. At the other positions, players careers do not last that long so you don't have the luxury to allow them to sit 3-4 years nor would you give players of other positions 3-4 to see if they were worthy of their high draft pick.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Remember Tommy Maddox? That was the first-round QB the Broncos drafted when they thought Elway only had a few years left. Total waste of a pick even though Maddox had brief glory with the Giants and Steelers.

Drafting Aaron Rodgers essentially forced the Packers to get rid of Favre while he still had some game left. It turned out better for the Packers than drafting Maddox did for the Broncos but I still see it as a mistake. Get the guy you need about two years before the star QB is done.

We should be drafting Manning's replacement in 2014 at the earliest. Otherwise, you're paying for an expensive clipboard holder who will divide the fans between the aging star quarterback and the potential-filled future star.

Point is, Denver could already be at the 2 year point with its current starting QB now. So in 2014, if we draft a QB in 2012, the QB will have had the 2012 and 2013 seasons to learn and get ready to start in 2014. The fans already know that they have an aging star Quarterback so that's a given.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Point is, Denver could already be at the 2 year point with its current starting QB now. So in 2014, if we draft a QB in 2012, the QB will have had the 2012 and 2013 seasons to learn and get ready to start in 2014. The fans already know that they have an aging star Quarterback so that's a given.

If you were planning on Manning retiring after the 2013 season, yes, but thats not the plan. That's why drafting one now, to sit for 4 years seems wasteful when you can use high round draft choice later and have him sit for 1 year, 2 year max. Drafting a high round to sit for 3-4 doesn't make much sense, certainly not common sense.

Either way, to answer the OP..... I don't think Elway spends a 2nd round pick on a QB in this year's draft.

RebelRocker
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Minnesota had that idea with Favre.... And look what happened.

They sold their souls for ONE good year and now they're paying the price for it.

Young team with a bunch of washed up veterans and in a division that they won't be winning again any time soon.
I'll be surprised if they don't finish last in that division for the next few years.

ON the other hand, GB realized that they needed to prepare for post-Favre and therefore, they found a QB that they could work with and would be ready when Favre left. To say what you're saying is just full blown lunacy and quite frankly, makes you sound like a complete idiot. Do we have some deficiencies? Yes. But we also won the division and made the playoffs last year with a far less superior team than what we'll have in 2012.
Realistically, we're only going to get 2, MAYBE 3 years out of Manning. Who knows, if he goes out after this year, then what do we do at QB? Reach for a QB in the draft next year and HOPE he pans out? It's just stupid planning.
Elway even said himself in a radio interview that they'd like to have Manning for the present, but have a young guy behind him to groom for the future. It's a safe investment. Elway didn't become a successful business man because he "went for it all right now", he made wise investments. He knows Manning isn't a sure thing and to have just Hanie/Weber as our QB depth is a terrible way to go into a season at QB. EFX aren't going to do what Minnesota did. They'll be ready for the future when that time comes.

DenBronx
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
I dont think we should draft a QB early at all. Win now....draft needs around Manning and for defense now.

New rookies and new prospects will be available in 2-3 years anyway. Look if someone falls then fine but we really need fresh legs at RB and a solid DT ect.

See who falls into the 4th or later. Then if he doesnt devolp by year 4-5 then mortgage the future like the Redskins did to get an RGIII but only this time the Broncos will already have most of the pieces in place to keep winning.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 12:28 PM
ON the other hand, GB realized that they needed to prepare for post-Favre and therefore, they found a QB that they could work with and would be ready when Favre left.

First off, if you are going to call people idiots, you BETTER learn some facts before you use examples.

Green Bay planned on Rodgers sitting ONE year. Interestingly enough, if they knew Brett wasn't going to retire, they wouldn't have used a 1st round pick on Rodgers at all, so they got lucky everything turned out (although they never went to a Super Bowl while their QB was sitting on the sidelines). If Manning was going to retire after this year, then it absolutely makes sense to use a high round pick and draft draft a QB now.

Minnesota wasn't in the same position we are, at all. They didn't have a HoF QB for some young kid to sit and learn from anyway, so I'm confused as to your comparison. They made a push with Favre because they had a lot of talent on the field on both sides, and felt the QB was the missing piece. We are lacking talent across the board, EXCEPT QB. Your Minnesota comparison is way off.

But the argument (or disagreement) comes about the idea of using a high round pick on a QB and have them sit for 3-4 years. There will be 2nd round QBs (or first) 2 years from now. We aren't talking about making a "1 year push" because we KNOW the talent of this team is lacking... HENCE.. not wanting to use high round picks on a position that has the PLANS of sitting 3-4 years when we need talent to fill ALL the holes.

RebelRocker
04-05-2012, 12:58 PM
First off, if you are going to call people idiots, you BETTER learn some facts before you use examples.

Green Bay planned on Rodgers sitting ONE year. Interestingly enough, if they knew Brett wasn't going to retire, they wouldn't have used a 1st round pick on Rodgers at all, so they got lucky everything turned out (although they never went to a Super Bowl while their QB was sitting on the sidelines). If Manning was going to retire after this year, then it absolutely makes sense to use a high round pick and draft draft a QB now.

Minnesota wasn't in the same position we are, at all. They didn't have a HoF QB for some young kid to sit and learn from anyway, so I'm confused as to your comparison. They made a push with Favre because they had a lot of talent on the field on both sides, and felt the QB was the missing piece. We are lacking talent across the board, EXCEPT QB. Your Minnesota comparison is way off.

But the argument (or disagreement) comes about the idea of using a high round pick on a QB and have them sit for 3-4 years. There will be 2nd round QBs (or first) 2 years from now. We aren't talking about making a "1 year push" because we KNOW the talent of this team is lacking... HENCE.. not wanting to use high round picks on a position that has the PLANS of sitting 3-4 years when we need talent to fill ALL the holes.

You COMPLETELY overlooked my argument. I made the comparison with Minnesota because they thought they could go all in on Favre and they didn't need to worry about the future. That's what people are saying about us. If we did that and Manning didn't last past next year, then we're stuck without a plan at QB, therefore, we'll reach for a QB because it's a need and it'll be back to re-building. If Minnesota was so gung ho for Favre, they should have had a plan B in place so there wouldn't be as much of a drop off after Favre left. Now they're left re-building and in the basement of their division.

If they're not looking at QB in the draft, like you assume, then why are they bringing Osweiler in for a visit? Why did some of our scouts go to Ryan Lindley's and BJ Coleman's pro day? Why would they waste their time scouting these QB's if they didn't want some sort of plan B?

Who said we had to take a QB high in the draft? We could get a guy like Lindley/Coleman in the 4-6th and still have enough upside to start for us down the road. I used Osweiler as an example because that was one of the options the OP listed.

cmc0605
04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
If we do get a QB, it probably won't be until day 2 and just for someone to compete for the #3 spot, maybe #2 if they get a late round steal. Relying on a later round QB to be the next generation however is a bit of an insane risk.

I think it would be good to get a first-round calibur QB a year before Manning plans on retiring (or Denver feels like it is time to move on); judging by the openness between Manning and Fox/Elway, I think they can have an honest communication about when that point is on the horizon. But I suspect he has at least 3-4 years or more left in him barring injury (he has a five year contract after all). That's a bit too long to have a future QB sitting on the bench to be groomed IMO, but 1-2 years isn't.

GEM
04-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Use the draft to draft impact RIGHT NOW players, use the draft next year to draft the future prospects. Too many needs on team right now that could stand in the way of the win now mentality.

DT immediate, OL help right now, LB right now. Those are guys that can help win right now. QB riding the pine....not going to help win right now.

RebelRocker
04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Use the draft to draft impact RIGHT NOW players, use the draft next year to draft the future prospects. Too many needs on team right now that could stand in the way of the win now mentality.

DT immediate, OL help right now, LB right now. Those are guys that can help win right now. QB riding the pine....not going to help win right now.

Reaching for any of those positions won't guarantee us a better year. You go BPA in the draft and if you weren't able to address your needs, you implement through FA. Getting the BEST players will help you win.

silkamilkamonico
04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
If Elway and Fox are committed to Manning, they need to get players that are going to help the organization right now. Drafting a QB in the 2nd-3rd round isn't going to do anything for this organization right now. And I disagree about bringing a QB in to learn under Manning so we're set for the future. That would be along the lines of sacrificing now for the future.

Draft for now please.

Slick
04-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Minnesota had that idea with Favre.... And look what happened.

They sold their souls for ONE good year and now they're paying the price for it.

Young team with a bunch of washed up veterans and in a division that they won't be winning again any time soon.
I'll be surprised if they don't finish last in that division for the next few years.

ON the other hand, GB realized that they needed to prepare for post-Favre and therefore, they found a QB that they could work with and would be ready when Favre left. To say what you're saying is just full blown lunacy and quite frankly, makes you sound like a complete idiot. Do we have some deficiencies? Yes. But we also won the division and made the playoffs last year with a far less superior team than what we'll have in 2012.
Realistically, we're only going to get 2, MAYBE 3 years out of Manning. Who knows, if he goes out after this year, then what do we do at QB? Reach for a QB in the draft next year and HOPE he pans out? It's just stupid planning.
Elway even said himself in a radio interview that they'd like to have Manning for the present, but have a young guy behind him to groom for the future. It's a safe investment. Elway didn't become a successful business man because he "went for it all right now", he made wise investments. He knows Manning isn't a sure thing and to have just Hanie/Weber as our QB depth is a terrible way to go into a season at QB. EFX aren't going to do what Minnesota did. They'll be ready for the future when that time comes.

Farve was what, 40? Manning is 36. Big difference. We should be absolutely building the best team around Manning right now, and doing that doesn't mean getting a QB in rounds 2 or 3 IMO. Plus, if we're able to make that happen 2 or 3 years down the road if we had to we could move up in the draft to get a QB since we would have spent the last 2 to 3 years filling the various holes on the roster.

RebelRocker
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Farve was what, 40? Manning is 36. Big difference. We should be absolutely building the best team around Manning right now, and doing that doesn't mean getting a QB in rounds 2 or 3 IMO. Plus, if we're able to make that happen 2 or 3 years down the road if we had to we could move up in the draft to get a QB since we would have spent the last 2 to 3 years filling the various holes on the roster.

Manning had 4 neck surgeries in the last year and a half. We should be prepared for anything. EFX could find better value with another QB in the 4th-6th round and take him, instead. That way, we CAN address major needs and BPA with our first few picks. I hope if we go after Osweiler, that we can get him in the 3-4th, but with his stock rising, it looks like if we want him, we'll have to take him in the 2nd. It depends on how they value him.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 02:56 PM
If Elway and Fox are committed to Manning, they need to get players that are going to help the organization right now. Drafting a QB in the 2nd-3rd round isn't going to do anything for this organization right now. And I disagree about bringing a QB in to learn under Manning so we're set for the future. That would be along the lines of sacrificing now for the future.

Draft for now please.

I say draft for the future and sign FA's to win now or do a little bit of both.

silkamilkamonico
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I say draft for the future and sign FA's to win now or do a little bit of both.

I say you draft and sign free agents that will help Manning win now. That's why you invested roughly $96 million into the guy.

slim
04-05-2012, 03:20 PM
I have seen the future and his name is Caleb Hanie.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I say you draft and sign free agents that will help Manning win now. That's why you invested roughly $96 million into the guy.

The Broncos have two picks in the 4th round at 108 and 120. I'm hoping Osweiler is sill there at that time.

However, I’m not so certain the Broncos 3rd round pick is already spoken for. I think it might just be Osweiler.

Jsteve01
04-05-2012, 03:51 PM
The only qb on this list that I draft is Osweiler. Because there's no way in hell Tannehill falls to us even in the first and the other two are duds. I do agree with your thinking though. Im totally fine with drafting Brock in the second/third if you really think he's got the potential to be a franchise qb.

BroncoWave
04-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Nick Foles, Arizona

You realize Tannehill is projected to go in the top 5 now right?

Slick
04-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Manning had 4 neck surgeries in the last year and a half. We should be prepared for anything. EFX could find better value with another QB in the 4th-6th round and take him, instead. That way, we CAN address major needs and BPA with our first few picks. I hope if we go after Osweiler, that we can get him in the 3-4th, but with his stock rising, it looks like if we want him, we'll have to take him in the 2nd. It depends on how they value him.

If they took Osweiler in the 2nd with Doug Martin sitting there you will hear me screaming at the TV from your house. I just don't see it the way you do man. I understand your point, and it's a good one. We could wind up screwed if that neck isn't right. However, I think the minute Peyton signed that contract we should be doing everything we can to get him players that give him the best chance to succeed right now. I wouldn't even use a 4th rounder on a QB. Not this year at least.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think we can do both. I think we forced ourselves to sell out for the time that Manning is here. I'm fine with that, but I can't see drafting project players or guys who simply won't play, at least not for the first 3 or 4 rounds. If anything, I'd be packaging picks to move up and get the 2,3, or possibly 4 best players we can get.

i disagree. our entire roster is now pretty young w/ the exception pf Champ, DJ and McGahee. Who else is not a part of our future? Our whole OL is very young. So are our WRs, Safeties, DEs and TEs. IF Irving can play, we have 2 2nd year LBs out of 3. And we all hope we're about to get real young at DT in a few weeks.

We must get a QB to transition to after PM retires. Is it this year? I dunno. But we have to do it this year or next.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-05-2012, 04:35 PM

But Rodgers fell into their laps in the 20s. The highest ranked QB of any class NEVER lasts until the 20s.

Simple Jaded
04-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I like drafting a mid-round QB as a need, a TJ Yates situation, not as premium pick groomed for the future. Denver just signed a future HoFer and people are already looking to replace him. The fact is, the Broncos may have upgraded their backup QB position but he's still garbage, I believe that backup is a legitimate need. Numbers-wise they've already said they plan on having 4 QB's in camp, whether or not they act on that during the draft means next to nothing to me.

If the Broncos draft an Osweiler (gag me), Coleman or Lindley I sincerely hope he would not be considered the heir apparent, the Broncos have spent the majority of the last 13 years spinning their wheels with mid-round talent.......

SmilinAssasSin27
04-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Draft for now please.

We're only talking 1 player. 1 pick. Nobody is saying draft 3 QBs to see who sticks. We have multiple picks in round 4, so I believe we could use a 3rd or one of the 4s on a QB...if we wanted to. There is no guarantee (oer even expectation) that a 4th round pick will contribute immediately anyways...regardless of position.

RebelRocker
04-05-2012, 05:56 PM
If they took Osweiler in the 2nd with Doug Martin sitting there you will hear me screaming at the TV from your house. I just don't see it the way you do man. I understand your point, and it's a good one. We could wind up screwed if that neck isn't right. However, I think the minute Peyton signed that contract we should be doing everything we can to get him players that give him the best chance to succeed right now. I wouldn't even use a 4th rounder on a QB. Not this year at least.

I agree. That's why I said if we go after Osweiler, it would be ideal if we could take him in the 3rd-4th. That way, we can use our first few picks on BPA and to address major needs.

elsid13
04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Hopefully it for someone like Bj Coleman in the later rounds (5th) that needs time to develop but has good potential.

Npba900
04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
But Rodgers fell into their laps in the 20s. The highest ranked QB of any class NEVER lasts until the 20s.

True. I guess we need to see if there is Tom Brady at QB in the 2012 draft.

catfish
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't see why they would be spending any high picks on players that wouldn't contribute till after Peyton is gone. You got 3 years to win a superbowl a high% of draft opick need to be winners, you can't afford to piss one away this year. I dont see taking a high value QB until the last year of Peytons contract

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
You COMPLETELY overlooked my argument. I made the comparison with Minnesota because they thought they could go all in on Favre and they didn't need to worry about the future. That's what people are saying about us. If we did that and Manning didn't last past next year, then we're stuck without a plan at QB, therefore, we'll reach for a QB because it's a need and it'll be back to re-building. If Minnesota was so gung ho for Favre, they should have had a plan B in place so there wouldn't be as much of a drop off after Favre left. Now they're left re-building and in the basement of their division.

Once again, your Minnesota example doesn't make any sense. You want to claim that Minnesota was "so all in" for Favre, that they didn't build for the future??? :confused: How does that makes sense at all? You are saying that they should have used a high round pick on a QB after they acquired Favre? If that's the case, how did that hurt them while Favre was there? If you are saying they should have drafted someone before Favre was in Minnesota so that they had a plan B, what does Favre have to do with it? Favre has NOTHING to do with anything that put the Vikings in a position of LOOKING for their franchise QB. 90% of the NFL is looking for their franchise QB. They brough Favre into the mix because of the talent they had on the team, and because of the number of contracts that were coming up for FA. They had a very small window that was closing quickly.

Who said we had to take a QB high in the draft? We could get a guy like Lindley/Coleman in the 4-6th and still have enough upside to start for us down the road. I used Osweiler as an example because that was one of the options the OP listed.
Did you read the Opening post, or are you just here to throw out insults at people without first understanding the discussion?

Superchop 7
04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
We have no depth at QB, we screwed the pooch on Hanie so bad that we have to get somebody in here.

Pudge
04-05-2012, 10:56 PM
My god please just let the season start. The other day I read an article on Jake plummer, I never thought I would sink that low. Thank god for hockey or I would shoot myself

Tebowtime2011
04-06-2012, 01:08 AM
How about using a 5th round draft pick for russell wilson I think he has potential and behind peytonn manning 3 years would do him some good

elsid13
04-06-2012, 06:35 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18274988/bj-coleman-throws-for-16-teams-at-chattanooga-pro-day

Coleman fell a bit off the radar when he was unable to throw at the Scouting Combine in February due to a broken pinky, but he enjoyed a strong workout in front of representatives from 18 teams at the Mocs' pro day Monday, He completed 34-of-43 passes, which isn't outstanding for a scripted workout, but it did include a pair of drops, according to The Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Representatives from the Bears, Broncos, Dolphins, Titans, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers, Saints and Vikings were on hand. A total of seven prospects worked out, including Tennessee-Chattanooga teammate Joe Bradford, who caught passes from Coleman, and former Tennessee Tech wide receiver Tim Benford.

SOCALORADO.
04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18274988/bj-coleman-throws-for-16-teams-at-chattanooga-pro-day

Coleman fell a bit off the radar when he was unable to throw at the Scouting Combine in February due to a broken pinky, but he enjoyed a strong workout in front of representatives from 18 teams at the Mocs' pro day Monday, He completed 34-of-43 passes, which isn't outstanding for a scripted workout, but it did include a pair of drops, according to The Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Representatives from the Bears, Broncos, Dolphins, Titans, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers, Saints and Vikings were on hand. A total of seven prospects worked out, including Tennessee-Chattanooga teammate Joe Bradford, who caught passes from Coleman, and former Tennessee Tech wide receiver Tim Benford.

No, No and No thanks.
Its either Osweiller or Foles.
And i am not even sure anymore if they should or would draft either with the arrival of Peyton.
I know Osweiller is close friends with the Elways and Errickson his former college coach is too.
But DEN might have a different mind set now for using these picks, and messing around with late round QBs
who cant throw isnt on their list. I think O-linemen in bulk are what they will be looking for in the later rounds now.
Osweiller will be gone by the end of the 2nd round.

Jsteve01
04-06-2012, 09:15 AM
No, No and No thanks.
And i am not even sure anymore if they should or would draft either with the arrival of Peyton.
I know Osweiller is close friends with the Elways and Errickson his former college coach is too.
But DEN might have a different mind set now for using these picks, and messing around with late round QBs
who cant throw isnt on their list. I think O-linemen in bulk are what they will be looking for in the later rounds now.

bull schnokey I'd much rather nab coleman or wilson than foles. Nick is a bigger orton. overhyped arm, comes from a spread and finds ways to lose not win. Shoot at least Kyle won at Purdue, Foles can't even do that.

Northman
04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Nick Foles doesnt do anything for me but neither does Coleman who's stock (according to Drafttek) is rapidly dropping.

Chef Zambini
04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
regarding MINN and FAVRE.
the vikes felt they were just a QB away from contending for the lombardi! they did go all in on FAVRE.
they pissed away their run game in the process.
they split the locker-room, and created a mess.
the lesson learned, it takes more than a QB to win the big one..
very few organizations have the savvy to draft and select players to win now while building for the future.
the RAVENS might be the best.
OZZIE NEWSOME!
lets hope that ELWAY is our OZZIE !

Chef Zambini
04-06-2012, 09:58 AM
future vs now.
the peyton window is 3-5 years.
ELWAY is looking to contendNOW.
neither guy signed up for long term hopes with this collaboration.
EFX must bring together a team that contend for the title...SOON ! but both men saw what happened when a team was built exclusively around mannings talents, so the caveat is not to morgage the entire franchise in the process.
with all our needs, especially defensively, using a high (1-30 draft pick would be counter-productive at this point.
Our first 3 picks have to be guys that can START now and be part of our FUTURE.
I hope we can improve our secondary with the first 3 picks.
or maybe take a LB or DT along the way.

RebelRocker
04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
future vs now.
the peyton window is 3-5 years.
ELWAY is looking to contendNOW.
neither guy signed up for long term hopes with this collaboration.
EFX must bring together a team that contend for the title...SOON ! but both men saw what happened when a team was built exclusively around mannings talents, so the caveat is not to morgage the entire franchise in the process.
with all our needs, especially defensively, using a high (1-30 draft pick would be counter-productive at this point.
Our first 3 picks have to be guys that can START now and be part of our FUTURE.
I hope we can improve our secondary with the first 3 picks.
or maybe take a LB or DT along the way.

I understand what you're saying, but explain this to me.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/04/06/broncos-working-brock-osweiler-today/12963/

EFX, McCoy and our QB coach (Gase) ALL went down to AZ to work him out. Why would they do that if it was just "due diligence"?

Ravage!!!
04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Why would they do that if it was just "due diligence"?

Thats what "doing your due diligence" means

Npba900
04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
No, No and No thanks.

Kellen Moore or Russell could be the next Drew Bree's and either would be worthy of drafting between the 3rd and 4th rounds for Denver and allow either to learn under Manning for 3 years.

Moore may be the best quarterback ever at anticipating including leading the receiver, finding the open receiver and throwing a very catchable ball. He is about as good as the best at accuracy, avoiding sacks in the pocket, reading defenses, not throwing interceptions, making the right decisions, not making mistakes, and his knowledge of being a quarterback/ the whole game of football.

Then there's Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson, quarterback from the University of Wisconsin, may not have the size or intangibles that Stanford QB Andrew Luck has, but last season he outperformed Luck both in overall adjusted performance, and performance against common opponents. Keep in mind, Wilson, although only 5'11, possesses long arms and large hands, which allows him to have just a high enough release needed in the NFL and his large hands allow him to grip the ball to throw tight spirals and accurately. In fact, Wilson has the same strengths that Drew Bree's has. Wilson has the following attributes needed to be successful as an NFL QB:

NFL-caliber arm strength
Poised in the pocket and under duress
Very intelligent - rarely makes a mental mistake
Adept at reading defenses and manipulating coverage
Excellent vision and anticipation
Accurate on the move
Experienced in a pro-style offense

RebelRocker
04-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Thats what "doing your due diligence" means

You don't send your ENTIRE braintrust to watch a player workout "for due diligence". Don't shoot the messenger. You got a problem with them doing it, go tell them yourself. :lol:

SpringsBroncoFan
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
3rd round is where we may not get a guy who can start so it wouldn't kill me if they burned the pick on a QB but a 2nd? Please, no...

Ravage!!!
04-07-2012, 11:08 AM
You don't send your ENTIRE braintrust to watch a player workout "for due diligence". Don't shoot the messenger. You got a problem with them doing it, go tell them yourself. :lol:

You obviously believe that doing your "due diligence" purely means doing as little as possible purely to give the illusion of interest. You are wrong.

gregbroncs
04-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't think they will this draft. Maybe next year or the year after. Right now there are more pressing matters and Payton is planning on playing 3 more years. Also didn't a bunch of talented QB's go back to college this year. Maybe next year will be a QB heavy year and you can get a good QB later in the draft next year. Either way. I don't think they'll draft a QB before round 4 this year.

LTC Pain
04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't think they will this draft. Maybe next year or the year after. Right now there are more pressing matters and Payton is planning on playing 3 more years. Also didn't a bunch of talented QB's go back to college this year. Maybe next year will be a QB heavy year and you can get a good QB later in the draft next year. Either way. I don't think they'll draft a QB before round 4 this year.

Agree 100% with this! I'd like to see the Broncos go DT(2)/CB/RB early in the draft and add depth in the last couple of rounds.

RebelRocker
04-08-2012, 10:11 AM
You obviously believe that doing your "due diligence" purely means doing as little as possible purely to give the illusion of interest. You are wrong.

So you're telling me that EFX and the coaching staff will go to EVERY single prospects pro day and workout? That's what SCOUTS are for, genius.

Simple Jaded
04-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I like Dayne Crist ability in the 2013 draft if he doesn't go too high.......