PDA

View Full Version : Live Press Conference Today

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7557

Friday, April 24, 2009

Live: Press Conference

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels will speak to the media about the upcoming NFL Draft shortly after 11 a.m. MDT, and you can watch the press conference streaming live here.

Click here to watch at that time.

If you miss the media session, don't fret -- we'll have the archived video here on DenverBroncos.com later today.

CoachChaz
04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Wont be able to watch it, but updates would be appreciated.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Can you give us updates Carol? Thanks :salute:

Dr Velcro
04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks Carol!

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Can you give us updates Carol? Thanks :salute:

No updates from me - I just came in for a break - have been working outside, and will be for most of the afternoon. For all who miss it, it will be loaded on BC later today.

MOtorboat
04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Pre-draft press conferences are flat out hilarious.

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
he's speaking alot about sanchez and how good the workout went.

shit shit shit shit shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 12:08 PM

That is a great sign............no sanchez

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Stated there aren't a lot of players on their draft board. . . interesting.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Explaining Xanders role, seems like he has a large one in regards to the draft. Very few players they both disagree on. A few phone calls from other teams today.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Darrell Reid (along with Elvis) can play with their hands up and down; and did so in camp.

claymore
04-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Darrell Reid (along with Elvis) can play with their hands up and down; and did so in camp.

So can I.

underrated29
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
That is a great sign............no sanchez

why? A smoke screen?

Stated there aren't a lot of players on their draft board. . . interesting.

Why is that interesting to you? Just want to know as i am sure you have a good reason to say its interesting.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Have received calls regarding their picks, but nothing is definite and no formal talks. They will not trade #12 and #18 to move up. Will consider trading back if the offer is good enough or opportunity presents itself.

turftoad
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Said he wouldn't trade 12 & 18 to move up.

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
WE WONT TRADE UP.

McD just said they want to stay at 12 and 18.

hope he sticks to his words.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
U29, it's just interesting to hear him say we don't have a lot of players on our board considering how many players are available. I guess having a smaller, coherent board with players you want who fit the scheme and identity you want to go along with makes sense. It makes it easier to identify who you want and where you think they'll go. Less ambiguity. Just curious to the # they have.

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 12:21 PM
why? A smoke screen?

Why is that interesting to you? Just want to know as i am sure you have a good reason to say its interesting.

in reality these predraft pressers mean nothing. He could be setting a smoke screen because you would not want anyone to have a clue what you really are planning to do. Then again people knowing that he could be doing that might think he is using it as a double smoke screen.

IMO you would not even mention the names of anyone you plan to take day 1.

Also selling Sanchez may present an opportunity to sell pick #12 if by some act of God he is still on the board.

Did any of that ramble make sense :lol:

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
i would think tyson jackson is high on McD's board just because he will flourish in the 3-4.

Zweems56
04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
WE WONT TRADE UP.

Thank god. That just saved my weekend.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
WHY would we 'smoke screen' about a player that is projected to go quite a ways higher than us as is? Hoping that a team higher will snag him instead of HOPING he comes around to us again later? So that the teams behind us don't know who we are 'really' after, thinking they will jump into the top ten to snag our guy?

I can't help but laugh at all the 'smoke screen' mentions :laugh:

Nomad
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
in reality these predraft pressers mean nothing. He could be setting a smoke screen because you would not want anyone to have a clue what you really are planning to do. Then again people knowing that he could be doing that might think he is using it as a double smoke screen.

Also selling Sanchez may present an opportunity to sell pick #12 if by some act of God he is still on the board.

J-E-T-S...Jets, Jets, Jets!

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 12:25 PM

http://saturos.home.comcast.net/~saturos/images/awesome.jpg

Zweems56
04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
http://saturos.home.comcast.net/~saturos/images/awesome.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/zweems56/barack_obama.jpg?t=1240577709

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
WHY would we 'smoke screen' about a player that is projected to go quite a ways higher than us as is? Hoping that a team higher will snag him instead of HOPING he comes around to us again later? So that the teams behind us don't know who we are 'really' after, thinking they will jump into the top ten to snag our guy?

That is why the predraft presser is worthless as far as info goes.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
That is why the predraft presser is worthless as far as info goes.

I couldn't agree with you more.... :beer:

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 12:29 PM

remember when alex smith and aaron rogers were touted to go in the top 10? rogers fell all the way to green bay. brady quinn a sure lock in the top 5 fell all the way to 25.

not saying it will happen but sanchez could drop just because of teams needs and smoke screen ect. teams and media are going gagga over this because they think teams will select him just to dangle him as a trade. i wouldnt be suprised if he's there at 12.

Nomad
04-24-2009, 12:30 PM
remember when alex smith and aaron rogers were touted to go in the top 10? rogers fell all the way to green bay. brady quinn a sure lock in the top 5 fell all the way to 25.

not saying it will happen but sanchez could drop just because of teams needs and smoke screen ect. teams and media are going gagga over this because they think teams will select him just to dangle him as a trade. i wouldnt be suprised if he's there at 12.

True, especially if Stafford somehow fails to sign with Detroit!!

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 12:32 PM
True, especially if Stafford somehow fails to sign with Detroit!!

That is my wildcard. If they do the right thing IMO and take Curry all hell will break lose.

Could be a great weekend.

LawDog
04-24-2009, 12:33 PM
[IMG] ...image deleted to save space...

Is this pic from Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbs? It looks like his work.

Nomad
04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
That is my wildcard. If they do the right thing IMO and take Curry all hell will break lose.
Could be a great weekend.

It seems the majority of Lions fans agree with you!!

Italianmobstr7
04-24-2009, 12:39 PM
WE WONT TRADE UP.

Did he say "We won't trade up" ? Or did he say that we won't package #12 and #18 to trade up? That's not to say that he won't trade #12 and a 3rd rounder. or a #12 and a 2nd rounder... I didn't hear it, so can anyone answer this for me?

turftoad
04-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Did he say "We won't trade up" ? Or did he say that we won't package #12 and #18 to trade up? That's not to say that he won't trade #12 and a 3rd rounder. or a #12 and a 2nd rounder... I didn't hear it, so can anyone answer this for me?

:beer:

topscribe
So can I.

He's talking about football, Clay . . .

-----

Traveler

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/Papi728/422805c6.jpg

underrated29
04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
what else?

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Great question!

Anyone elses head starting to hurt LMAO

Italianmobstr7
04-24-2009, 12:46 PM
:beer:

Thanks. So he didn't say we wouldn't trade up. He just said we wouldn't package our 2 1st rounders. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see us move up and get Sanchez. I won't be upset whether we do or don't. If we do, I think we get a franchise QB. If we don't, I think we stack up the D which is a huge need. It seems like a win-win situation as long as we hit on our picks.

Traveler
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks. So he didn't say we wouldn't trade up. He just said we wouldn't package our 2 1st rounders. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see us move up and get Sanchez. I won't be upset whether we do or don't. If we do, I think we get a franchise QB. If we don't, I think we stack up the D which is a huge need. It seems like a win-win situation as long as we hit on our picks.

Are Stafford & Sanchez really Franchise QB's?

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/Papi728/422805c6.jpg

I know I'm yaking alot.........I just love draft time. :cool:

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 12:50 PM

he said he's happy with 12 and 18 and that he thinks the guy he wants will be there.

Italianmobstr7
04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
he said he's happy with 12 and 18 and that he thinks the guy he wants will be there.

Still doesn't mean he won't trade up though. I don't expect 1 bit of honesty in a pre-draft presser. You don't want to show your hand to anyone. It wouldn't make any sense. There's a reason the Lions aren't telling anyone who they're drafting yet. He may be happy with 12 and 18. Maybe the guys he wants get taken. Maybe he'll be THRILLED with trading up to get Sanchez. There's no telling. We'll be finding out in about 26 hours!

bcbronc
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM

because getting someone behind us in the draft to move up and take a player we aren't interested in COULD leave someone we are interested in on the board.

If Jax has Raji (for example) at the top of their board, but the NYJ offer them a deal that Jax finds appealing, Jax doesn't take Raji at 8. or something like that. it's like this, if we could get everyone interested in an OT or a QB to get ahead of us, there will be a better chance of us getting the top defensive player on our board.

it also potentially keeps a team after us, who is interested in the same player, from feeling a need to move ahead of us for that player, letting him fall to us.

plus, it lets McDaniels feel a little like James Bond. and we all like feeling a little like James Bond.

Bill Devaroe
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Sanchez havent proven jack Sqwat. But he does have alot of Value, If he is there at 12 I pick him anyways and work the phones and trade him fro Lemon or Garraard,

underrated29
04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Sanchez havent proven jack Sqwat. But he does have alot of Value, If he is there at 12 I pick him anyways and work the phones and trade him fro Lemon or Garraard,

So columbo, what do you do for a living?

Bill Devaroe
04-24-2009, 01:25 PM
So columbo, what do you do for a living?

I am work clean up at the school.s

who is colmbo?

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 01:28 PM

I would have no choice but to kick puppys

bcbronc
04-24-2009, 01:39 PM

puppies need discipline too.

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM

kick a cat, save a puppy.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 02:10 PM

we're effed.

T.K.O.
04-24-2009, 02:11 PM
if we trade up and get sanchez and miss out on 2 1st round defensive badazzes, i will punch chuck norris in the nads !
sanchez could be very good or could be our very own matt leinert :mad:

powderaddict
04-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I doubt Sanchez is really a target.

I want 1 badazz defender (BF7PA best front 7 player available), and Moreno.

The more I read about that kid the more I want him in a Bronco uniform.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 02:14 PM
if we trade up and get sanchez and miss out on 2 1st round defensive badazzes, i will punch chuck norris in the nads !

Chuck Norris doesn't take shit from nobody.

He could kick the ass' of all the Backstreet Boys with one roundhouse kick.

LRtagger
04-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Moreno is going to be a stud

topscribe

:shocked: If that happens, what would you like me to tell your wife?

-----

Dortoh

I agree but for the record #12 and a 2nd or 3rd would probably do the trick depending on how high were talking of jumping up not 12 and 18

T.K.O.
04-24-2009, 02:19 PM

i agree moreno would be the only acceptable 1st round pick if we went offense !:salute:

Nomad
04-24-2009, 02:19 PM

-----

:laugh:

He was a passionate fan who went overboard!!

powderaddict
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM

-----

"I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband"

T.K.O.
04-24-2009, 02:30 PM
"I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband"

not only that...i'd probably break my hand !:laugh:

topscribe
04-24-2009, 02:37 PM
not only that...i'd probably break my hand !:laugh:

If you didn't, he might . . . along with a lot of other stuff. :nod:

-----

Nomad
04-24-2009, 03:20 PM
I didn't know where to ask this question, but being I don't watch the draft often what channel is the best to watch the draft on??

ikillz0mbies
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I didn't know where to ask this question, but being I don't watch the draft often what channel is the best to watch the draft on??

It's going to be on the NFL Network (I think, 99% sure). But I don't have the NFL Network so I'll probably catch an online stream.

T.K.O.
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM

nfl network has the most airtime of it ,or espn will have the good stuff

powderaddict
04-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Just go to nfl.com, they have a chart that's updated with each pick.

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 03:58 PM

Espin has the most glitz but IMO nfl network and mayock do the best job

DenBronx
04-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Moreno is going to be a stud

post jay cutler trade i now want moreno too. if t-jack, orakpo and raji are gone then i say just take him at 12 and select rey at 18. brace or chung in the 2nd....maybe safety david bruton or terrance taylor in the 4th.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2009, 04:13 PM
press conference is now loaded on BC:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

rcsodak
04-24-2009, 04:13 PM

What MAKES a franchise qb?

His draft status? If that's the case, then Brady isn't one.

His salary? If that's the case, then cut-n-run'er isn't one.

I'd say it's all in the eyes of the beholder....

...whether those eyes belong to the fans, the media, et al.

You don't hear it much, from HC's.....

.....I never heard Shanny say he had a "franchise qb" in the last 3yrs.

rcsodak
04-24-2009, 04:14 PM
No...they're currently college jr's that play the position.

rcsodak
04-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Espin has the most glitz but IMO nfl network and mayock do the best job

The same Mayock that says denver is going to HAVE to take a qb to make up for the loss of cutty?

:rolleyes:

Hawgdriver
04-24-2009, 04:19 PM
U29, it's just interesting to hear him say we don't have a lot of players on our board considering how many players are available. I guess having a smaller, coherent board with players you want who fit the scheme and identity you want to go along with makes sense. It makes it easier to identify who you want and where you think they'll go. Less ambiguity. Just curious to the # they have.

I see it as a positive if it's truthful. If you have a solid process to accurately identify who will fit your system, then you will be able to screen out more of those that don't fit your system.

I'll use the analogy of another successful organization, PayPal (before it was diluted by eBay's buyout). This was an organization that went from 0-60 faster than a Hennessey Viper on nox. During the critical ramp-up phase in recruiting the right people, they only considering bringing on board a few select individuals. They did not use Monster.com or some other haphazard process that would let in people that had nice looking resumes or could win beauty contests in interviews (Dirty Sanchez). They knew exactly what they needed for their system and could pinpoint individuals with those characteristics and went straight at them.

To me it signals that they have confidence in their evaluation process and their underlying 'system'. By itself I view it as a positive, but we'll have to see how effective their 'system' really is. Also, I don't know how robust their scouting tool set is--is it just X and McD looking at film, or do they have a team with plus skills in identifying non-film characteristics. For example, do they have a stats team to evaluate players on a strength-of-opposition adjusted, per play metric? Do they have trustworthy observers of player character (is the player a chip-on-the-shoulder sleeper or an uber-talented slacker getting by on sheer genetics?)

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 04:26 PM
The same Mayock that says denver is going to HAVE to take a qb to make up for the loss of cutty?

:rolleyes:

Yhea not sure where is going with that but yes over all he is pretty damn good. A hell of a lot better then anything Espin will throw out there.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Yhea not sure where is going with that but yes over all he is pretty damn good. A hell of a lot better then anything Espin will throw out there.

Mayock is amazing.

I'd take Schefter's news and Mayocks scouting over Chris Mortensen and Mel Kiper Jr. anyday. Too bad Schefter was treated like shit by NFLN.

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Mayock is amazing.

I'd take Schefter's news and Mayocks scouting over Chris Mortensen and Mel Kiper Jr. anyday. Too bad Schefter was treated like shit by NFLN.

Huge mistake by NFLN they should pay the man.

Kiper and his long winded rants about nothing are just too much for me :tsk:

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Huge mistake by NFLN they should pay the man.

Kiper and his long winded rants about nothing are just too much for me :tsk:

Kiper needs a hair cut :tsk:

I agree, NFL Network just let go the best thing that's ever happened to them. Schefter is the god of football news, it's too bad that they didn't pay the man...

Lonestar
04-24-2009, 05:28 PM
If Y'all have not listened to the Press conference take 32 minutes and do so..

http://www.denverbroncos.com/ thanks Carol..

I suspect many of you will come away impressed with what he has planned for this team and the direction it is going to go..

Smart, fast, tuff and veristle....:salute:

I only hope some day they will give the reporters a mike so we can hear the questions..

Tned
04-24-2009, 06:58 PM

I suspect many of you will come away impressed with what he has planned for this team and the direction it is going to go..

I only hope some day they will give the reporters a mike so we can hear the questions..

It all sounds good in the off season. Mike had many of these press conferences and they always sounded good. Sometimes the results during the season were good, sometimes were bad.

I'm optimistic, but then again I usually am entering the season, but we are in unchartered territory in terms of the last 15+ years. An almost complete turnover of the coaching and FO staff, loss of the teams best player (possibly second best if Champ is 100% healthy and hasn't lost a step), and a rookie head coach.

Until we start seeing the team on the field, we really won't know if we are closer to NE or Detroit.

Hobe
04-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Thank god. That just saved my weekend.

It's not over yet, bucky!

Shazam!
04-24-2009, 09:29 PM
With the amount of money shelled at at Top QBs and there is no guarantee of them working out (Rick Mirer, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, etc), a team in need of a QB is better off Drafting two late round 4th-6th round QBs and letting them vie for the job. They come much cheaper and you have almost as good of a shot as one of them becoming an NFL starter as the Top 10 pick earning his Top 10 pedigree money.

Lonestar
04-24-2009, 09:43 PM
It all sounds good in the off season. Mike had many of these press conferences and they always sounded good. Sometimes the results during the season were good, sometimes were bad.

I'm optimistic, but then again I usually am entering the season, but we are in unchartered territory in terms of the last 15+ years. An almost complete turnover of the coaching and FO staff, loss of the teams best player (possibly second best if Champ is 100% healthy and hasn't lost a step), and a rookie head coach.

Until we start seeing the team on the field, we really won't know if we are closer to NE or Detroit.

and that is precisely what he said..

they have a lot of players that KNOW nothing about the 3-4 but his coaching staff is going to teach them until they do.. They are going to draft smart, fast, versatile players and teach them how to play.

He never promised anything other than they are going to put 11 of the best players on the field at a time, unlike some that promised the playoffs..

Tned
04-24-2009, 09:47 PM
and that is precisely what he said..

they have a lot of players that KNOW nothing about the 3-4 but his coaching staff is going to teach them until they do.. They are going to draft smart, fast, versatile players and teach them how to play.

He never promised anything other than they are going to put 11 of the best players on the field at a time, unlike some that promised the playoffs..

I know, but for the last five or so years, it has been beat into my head that the Broncos front office always lies. Hence, how can I now take anything they say as 'truth'? :confused:

Davii
04-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I know, but for the last five or so years, it has been beat into my head that the Broncos front office always lies. Hence, how can I now take anything they say as 'truth'? :confused:

Especially coming from McD? He is a Belicheat disciple after all.

Lonestar
04-24-2009, 10:02 PM

NO just mikey lies.. but then of course he did not allow anyone else to talk to the media.. so I guess your essentially correct..

Tned
04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
NO just mikey lies.. but then of course he did not allow anyone else to talk to the media.. so I guess your essentially correct..

No, Mikey, sundquist, players that supported Mikey, Bowlen when he supported Mikey or Cutler. The list goes on.

getlynched47
04-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Don't know if anybody caught this, but DJ Williams is the starting Weakside inside linebacker and Andra Davis is the Strongside inside linebacker. We're going OLB with one of our first 3 picks IMO.

rcsodak
04-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Don't know if anybody caught this, but DJ Williams is the starting Weakside inside linebacker and Andra Davis is the Strongside inside linebacker. We're going OLB with one of our first 3 picks IMO.

Dude.....

..show me a pre-draft depth chart that was the same as game 1's, before this year.

Regardless of what the depth chart says, on 4/24/09, I think everybody and their dog assumes denver will pick an LB(s).

Tned
04-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Yep, I'm even more impressed after 1 1/2 rounds of the draft.