PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Star power required for Broncos

turftoad
04-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Not sold on Kyle Orton as quarterback for the Broncos?

Your local NFL franchise knows exactly how you feel.

For a team with pressing defensive needs, coach Josh McDaniels seems bent on finding a quarterback who can make Denver forget Jay Cutler.

If only the Cleveland Browns were willing to trade Brady Quinn, here's betting Denver would take him in a heartbeat.

Rebuffed in pursuit of Quinn, the Broncos quickly turned their attention to USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, the fast-rising "it" prospect in this year's NFL draft.

It appears to be a longshot the Broncos can land Sanchez or Quinn during the next 48 hours, but according to whispers heard throughout the league, it won't be for lack of trying.

A Denver team lacking in identity is looking for fresh star power, and when it comes to quarterbacks, McDaniels has a wandering eye that makes commitment tough for him.

What should we read into these developments?

When looking for a place to live in Denver, current Broncos quarterbacks Orton and Chris Simms might want to rent, rather than buy.

Although the franchise has more than 25,000 names on the waiting list for season tickets, the discontent of many customers has been heard at Dove Valley.

Using the No. 12 selection in the first round to select a pass rusher such as LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson would almost certainly make Denver a better football team in the long run, but it would do little to create buzz or turn down the heat on McDaniels right here, right now.

Everybody knows the No. 1 football need for the Broncos is to rebuild the defensive line. But the first order of business for this franchise is to restore the faith and goodwill of a fan base shaken by the firing of Mike Shanahan and the messy divorce with Cutler.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen invested millions of dollars and staked his football credibility on handing the coaching job to young McDaniels.

Everybody at Dove Valley would look like a fool if Kid McD flops. And please remember: The reputation of McDaniels is based on offense, not defense.

McDaniels got hired by the Broncos because Tom Brady and Matt Cassel threw touchdown passes for New England, not because Bowlen was enthralled with the Patriots' 3-4 defensive scheme.

On a team whose defense appears destined to be a lengthy work in progress, it is essential that McDaniels makes Denver a scoring machine ASAP for pure entertainment purposes during a brutal 2009 regular-season schedule, if nothing else.

It has been widely assumed Denver will stockpile defensive talent with picks at Nos. 12 and 18 in the opening round.

But here's the problem: It could be that none of the top-tier defensive lineman, from B.J. Raji of Boston College to Brian Orakpo of Texas to LSU's Jackson, will stay on the board long enough for the Broncos to grab.

With Jacksonville widely assumed to be looking to move its draft choice with the eighth slot in the first round, Denver has ample motivation to inquire about trading up to get a better shot at an impact defender or Sanchez.

But it still makes little football or economic sense to me for Denver to enter a bidding war for Sanchez ignited by impulsive Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who was disappointed he did not land Cutler in trade.

With teams picking as early as Seattle (No. 4) and St. Louis (No. 2) now reported to be drooling as they inspect Sanchez, the USC quarterback is climbing toward guaranteed money for a rookie that I cannot see Bowlen paying, even if the Broncos could pull off a trade.

Should the Browns grab Sanchez at No. 5, however, maybe they would revisit trading Quinn to the Broncos.

Pursue a quarterback when Denver so desperately needs help on defense?

Why, why, why?

It could be as simple as this:

In the week McDaniels celebrates his 33rd birthday, maybe the coach wanted a new toy.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12214436

Dirk
04-24-2009, 10:01 AM
In the week McDaniels celebrates his 33rd birthday, maybe the coach wanted a new toy.

That is probably one of the best quotes to come out of the DP as of late....

Superchop 7
04-24-2009, 03:19 PM
That was a great quote.

I'm glad the media is starting to see through the hype.

Mckid may be a great offensive mind, but thats about it.

He stinks as a head coach.

So....let me get this straight.

On a team desperate for defensive talent....

...now he wants to open up Pats wallet for Sanchez......

His mistake = 35 million in guaranteed money to a rookie that played very little in college.

Perfect.

Just what we need........ the "laughing stock of the league" crown.

Listen Pat, if you want to create some interest around here (and not look like a fool to the rest of the league) "without" breaking your wallet, pick up Moreno and Pat White, they are both electric. This saves pick 12 for Jackson or Ayers whom we desperately need.

Then go defense with every pick you've got left.

That would go a long way towards mending some fences, at the end of the day you guys would look pretty smart.

and that hasn't been happening lately.

T.K.O.
04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
that was a great quote.

I'm glad the media is starting to see through the hype.

Mckid may be a great offensive mind, but thats about it.

He stinks as a head coach.

So....let me get this straight.

On a team desperate for defensive talent....

...now he wants to open up pats wallet for sanchez......

His mistake = 35 million in guaranteed money to a rookie that played very little in college.

Perfect.

Just what we need........ The "laughing stock of the league" crown.

Listen pat, if you want to create some interest around here (and not look like a fool to the rest of the league) "without" breaking your wallet, pick up moreno and pat white, they are both electric. This saves pick 12 for jackson or ayers whom we desperately need.

Then go defense with every pick you've got left.

That would go a long way towards mending some fences, at the end of the day you guys would look pretty smart.

And that hasn't been happening lately.

amen !

JKcatch724
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
god please no Sanchez.

Dirk
04-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Here's the kicker.....

Shanny will probably be the Redskins coach. (Next year)

And, he wants Sanchez.

Just sayin (Draw your own conclusion)

I guess that could be a possibility.

Superchop 7
04-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Why the sudden interest in Sanchez ?

Wasn't "wahoo" McDaniels "happy with the QB's on the roster" ?

Here's the deal......

It's got alot to do with Mike Shanahan.

See......Mikey could very well be the next coach of the Redskins.

And.....since they couldn't pull the trigger on Jay.....(broncos veto'd "better" offer)

Plan B is to get Sanchez.

and the Bronco's know that.

The ego's at Dove Valley just can't let that happen.

So.....it isn't always about building a team.

Lets just toss our 12 and 18 in the dumper to block what Mikey wants.

We'll show him !!

Dirk
04-24-2009, 04:31 PM
OMG I hope that isn't the case...I would hope they have a little more smarts than that.

T.K.O.
04-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Why the sudden interest in Sanchez ?

Wasn't "wahoo" McDaniels "happy with the QB's on the roster" ?

Here's the deal......

It's got alot to do with Mike Shanahan.

See......Mikey could very well be the next coach of the Redskins.

And.....since they couldn't pull the trigger on Jay.....(broncos veto'd "better" offer)

Plan B is to get Sanchez.

and the Bronco's know that.

The ego's at Dove Valley just can't let that happen.

So.....it isn't always about building a team.

Lets just toss our 12 and 18 in the dumper to block what Mikey wants.

We'll show him !!
i hope your being sarcastic......cuz i dont think we care who shanny gets for a qb especially if he's coaching in the nfc

Hawgdriver
04-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Kiszla doesn't have a clue, but we knew this. It's just idle banter to sell copy.