PDA

View Full Version : John Elway:Homecoming

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2009, 08:53 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/04/23/john-elway-homecoming/

Hope you caught the first airing of Rick Reilly’s “Homecoming” episode on John Elway this evening on ESPN (5-6 p.m. MDT).

The episode will reair on ESPN Classic on May 8 at 6 p.m. local.

I was a kid, then a teenager, throughout the Elway era here in Colorado, so for me personally, it was pretty fun to watch. Lots of familiar footage (the Drive, the late 90s Super Bowls etc) but also some very interesting stories that I had never heard before about Elway from his childhood and teen years. And the present-day footage of him hitting the cross bar from 30 yards away on his high school football field was pretty impressive. Honestly, I think his arm is probably still stronger than 75 percent of the current NFL quarterbacks.

Anyway, I hope you caught it. If not, hopefully you’ve got ESPN Classic and can catch the replay. As we sit here now less than 48 hours from the first draft of the Josh McDaniels era — a draft that will help shape the franchise’s future — it’s been nice to take a quick look at the past.

Northman
04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I missed it sadly.

BroncoJoe
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I could only see the video. We were at my daughter's birthday dinner at Red Robin. I'm gonna record the next airing. Looked good.

Tned
04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
I watched it a few months ago when it aired. It was a nice piece. Well worth watching if you get a chance.

Nomad
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
I look forward to watching it in May with my sons. Thanks for the info, DN!!

Shazam!
04-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I got to see it, but to anyone who didn't see it but watched him his whole career, heard him look back post-career, you didn't miss anything. Always great to watch (hell, I'd watch him eat a salad) and hear him speak but again, you didn't miss anything you didn't know before... Except his favorite breakfast (bacon and eggs), favorite character (007) and worst investment (luxury laundromats). Other than that everything was covered that I heard before.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought it was very good. And there were new things in it that I had not seen/heard before. One thing that bothered me - Riley ask him something about if there was one thing he could do, what would it be, and John said "own an NFL Franchise in LA". Hopefully Bowlen decides to sell the Broncos before that happens, and John buys the Broncos.

Shazam!
04-23-2009, 11:58 PM
That'd be cool to see him own the Broncos...

Then maybe he can change the name to John Elway Park or something because I hate that Invesco friggin' crap.

Superchop 7
04-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Team Value 1 $994 mil

Patrick Bowlen
Denver Broncos
are owned by Patrick Bowlen,
who bought them in 1984
for $78 mil.

Player-costs-to-win ratio 8 102
2006 Coach Mike Shanahan

Sport: Portion of franchise's value attributable to revenue shared among all teams. Market: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its city and market size. Stadium: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its stadium. Brand Management: Portion of franchise's value attributable to the management of its brand.

The skinny
Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has had to fight lawsuits from former owner Edgar Kaiser, Jr. that Bowlen violated Kaiser's right of first refusal when he offered former Broncos quarterback John Elway 10% of the team for $15 million after the 1998 Super Bowl and, later, 50% of the team to his two siblings. Bowlen prevailed in the former case and we are not aware that a decision has been reached in the latter case. It is easy to see why Bowlen wants to keep the Broncos out of Kaiser's hands. Football-crazed Denver has made every Broncos game a sell-out since 1970 and the team has one of the elite stadiums in the NFL.

Major corporate sponsors are Anheuser-Busch (nyse: BUD), US Bancorp (nyse: USB), Coca-Cola (nyse: KO), Comcast (nasdaq: CMSCA). Naming rights sponsor is Invesco Funds.

Historical Snapshot

Superchop 7
04-24-2009, 04:50 PM
It didn't print everything I wanted it to print..

Forbes has nice cost/revenue/expenditures analysis.

But the point is this......Kaiser has the first option to purchase the Broncos.

So.....no John for now.

And I sure as hell can't blame him for wanting a team in LA, what a market.