PDA

View Full Version : From Pat Yasinkis Chat on ESPN

Dortoh
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
"Arthur (Charlotte): OK, your time is almost up: Time for your absolutely shot in the dark best guess on what will happen with Peppers: Will he be traded pre- or during the draft? Where will he go? Don't be scared, it's just a guess. We won't hold you to it.

Pat Yasinskas: (1:54 PM ET ) All right -- like you said -- just a guess. I'll say it happens during the draft. I'll say Denver. We'll see"

:) discuss

I would trade #18 in heart beat

BigDaddyBronco
04-23-2009, 04:37 PM
"Arthur (Charlotte): OK, your time is almost up: Time for your absolutely shot in the dark best guess on what will happen with Peppers: Will he be traded pre- or during the draft? Where will he go? Don't be scared, it's just a guess. We won't hold you to it.

Pat Yasinskas: (1:54 PM ET ) All right -- like you said -- just a guess. I'll say it happens during the draft. I'll say Denver. We'll see"

:) discuss

I would trade #18 in heart beat
I would trade a #18 for Peppers in a heart beat as well, but I'm not sure how big the hit on the salary cap would be. Maybe not the best thing long term in building the defense.

turftoad
04-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Blue Run said we were interested.

If he becomes a Broncos this weekend, I guess Blue Run gets a free pass.

Dortoh
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM

:tsk:

BigDaddyBronco
04-23-2009, 04:40 PM

We would also have to draft Brandon Pettigrew for some of his predictions to come through. :D

Zweems56

Blue run gets a pass in my book either way. Whether it was founded or not doesnt matter. The dude sparked more productive conversation with the few posts he had than quite a few members combined. Though confusing, I enjoyed his posts.

turftoad
:tsk:

Yeah, I know. :confused:

:D

underrated29
04-23-2009, 04:42 PM

I think he already does. He said the braylon thing long before FA even started. That has come true. he also said we are looking hard at Knowhon, and according to some in the know we are looking very very hard.

Raji was obvious, but true. Pettigrew- i have no clue about unless we think he falls close enough to our 2nd that we trade up.????

Not everything he hears will be accurate, but i agree he should not have been chased off.

Dortoh
04-23-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.mousetrapmedia.com/images/bunny_cry.jpg

One thing for sure its going to be a fun weekend.

JONtheBRONCO
04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Um, hell yes I would give #18.

turftoad
04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.mousetrapmedia.com/images/bunny_cry.jpg

One thing for sure its going to be a fun weekend.

I agree. I think there will be a pile of trades like we've never seen before. Picks, players, it's gonna be crazy. Can't wait.

Dortoh
04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
WTH is going on in Carolina. 42.5 mil for an average qb while you still need to pay your best defensive player. Color me confused

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4092544

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- After the worst game of Jake Delhomme's career came in an ugly playoff loss, the Carolina Panthers never wavered that he was still their quarterback for the long-term.

Delhomme

On Thursday, they proved it, giving Delhomme a five-year, $42.5 million extension that keeps the 34-year-old under contract through the 2014 season.
"It's all about being able to know that I can finish my career here in Carolina," Delhomme said. "That's what I've wanted, all I've ever wanted."

The deal includes $20 million in guaranteed money and clears much needed salary-cap space for Carolina. Delhomme was to count for more than $10 million under the cap next season in the final year of his deal.

The Panthers' cap is weighed down by Julius Peppers' one-year tender under the franchise tag that is worth $16.7 million and has prevented any offseason signings.

Jake Delhomme had 185 yards passing in the Panthers' 34-28 OT loss to the Giants.

Delhomme's extension comes just over three months following his nightmare performance. After a strong season following reconstructive elbow surgery the year before, Delhomme threw five interceptions and lost a fumble in Carolina's 33-13 loss to Arizona in the NFC divisional playoffs.

rcsodak
04-23-2009, 05:21 PM
WTH is going on in Carolina. 42.5 mil for an average qb while you still need to pay your best defensive player. Color me confused

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- After the worst game of Jake Delhomme's career came in an ugly playoff loss, the Carolina Panthers never wavered that he was still their quarterback for the long-term.

Delhomme

On Thursday, they proved it, giving Delhomme a five-year, $42.5 million extension that keeps the 34-year-old under contract through the 2014 season.
"It's all about being able to know that I can finish my career here in Carolina," Delhomme said. "That's what I've wanted, all I've ever wanted."

The deal includes $20 million in guaranteed money and clears much needed salary-cap space for Carolina. Delhomme was to count for more than $10 million under the cap next season in the final year of his deal.

The Panthers' cap is weighed down by Julius Peppers' one-year tender under the franchise tag that is worth $16.7 million and has prevented any offseason signings.

Jake Delhomme had 185 yards passing in the Panthers' 34-28 OT loss to the Giants.

Delhomme's extension comes just over three months following his nightmare performance. After a strong season following reconstructive elbow surgery the year before, Delhomme threw five interceptions and lost a fumble in Carolina's 33-13 loss to Arizona in the NFC divisional playoffs.

Good for HIM! He deserved whatever he gets. He's been through alot in his career.

It's obvious, that Carolina takes care of those that WANT to be there. Maybe Peppers should learn from that.

Lonestar
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
$16,700,000.00 per year for a tired DE.. let hope we do not make a bid for this clown..

Lets keep our draft choices and pay rookie scale for the next 4-6 years..

turftoad
04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
$16,700,000.00 per year for a tired DE.. let hope we do not make a bid for this clown..

He's only 29yrs old. I don't think he to tired yet. I also think he would transition to rush OLB very, very well. The guy is a stud.
Problem is his salary.

xzn
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
If we got Peppers we'd have Elvis on the bench and still have weak starters on the strong side in Davis and Boss. Not to mention that we'd have a gaping hole to fill when (not if) Boss gets hurt.

That's assuming Julius would play "Joker". Which I get the idea, is what he wants. He sees Jason Taylor, DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman putting up NFL MVP numbers as WOLB rush OLBs and wants in on that game.

I don't think he's interested in chasing TEs and stacking at the POA on the strong side!

dogfish
04-23-2009, 05:45 PM

He's only 29yrs old. I don't think he to tired yet. I also think he would transition to rush OLB very, very well. The guy is a stud.
Problem is his salary.

well, that and his big red nose and floppy orange shoes. . . .

turftoad
04-23-2009, 05:47 PM
well, that and his big red nose and floppy orange shoes. . . .

Oh yeah, thats right. That clown has been one of the best DE in the league for like, 6 years. :D

Simple Jaded
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Peppers is a tired DE that's not worth a 1st round pick but Kyle Orton is the Broncos Savior?

BullShit.......Only in BroncosLand!

Julius Peppers is better than anybody the Broncos could dream of getting with the 18th pick, he would instantly become the Broncos best player and is picture perfect for this "Hybrid Scheme" that Doogie wants to run.

But, from what I hear, Peppers does not want to play for Denver (and who could blame him).......

Dortoh
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Peppers is a tired DE that's not worth a 1st round pick but Kyle Orton is the Broncos Savior?

Julius Peppers is better than anybody the Broncos could dream of getting with the 18th pick and would instantly become the Broncos best player.

But, Peppers does not want to play for Denver (and who could blame him).......

I have not heard that. Has he come out and said that?

Simple Jaded
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I have not heard that. Has he come out and said that?

Sorry, I do not have a link and should not state that as fact, Jim Wrongstrong of the Denver Post stated that Denver is not on the list of teams that Peppers gave to the Panthers.......

dogfish
04-23-2009, 06:11 PM

Julius Peppers is better than anybody the Broncos could dream of getting with the 18th pick, he would instantly become the Broncos best player and is picture perfect for this "Hybrid Scheme" that Doogie wants to run.

But, Peppers does not want to play for Denver (and who could blame him).......

oh come one! how's he supposed to rush the passer or cover the tight end with these on?

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6301/clownshoes.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clownshoes.jpg)

in all honesty, i would have mixed feelings about trading #18 for peppers. . . on the one hand, he's an elite defensive player that would instantly upgrade our horrendous pass rush and free up lots of single teams for other guys to exploit. . . he has plus size for the OLB spot, is a physical run defender and an absolutely freakish athlete-- i won't go so far as to say that he would excell in man coverage, but i think he does have the skillset to do it. . . he has a fair bit of experience dropping into zone coverage with the panthers, and he's been very effective in that role. . .

OTOH, he's going to want an insane amount of money, he hasn't always been known for his high motor, and you do have to question how many years he has left at an elite level. . . you're correct that there's no way we get someone at 18 that can come in and play anywhere close to his level, but what we CAN get there is a talented young player who can potentially be a building block for the next ten years instead of three or four, and will play for relatively cheap for the first four or five of those years. . . plus, peppers would be playing a new position on a considerably less talented unit-- he has the skills to make it happen if he plays hard, but there's no guarantee that he'll be AS effective as he has been in carolina. . . remember, this guy did have just two sacks in '07. . . .

i can see both sides of the question. . . . if we do happen to add that type of impact player you know i'm gonna be incredibly stoked, but given where we are as a franchise right now i think i might pass on him. . . IMO this is really more the type of move you make when you think you could have a serious super bowl contender in the next year or two, and that's not where i see us. . . i would have been higher on the idea of trading for peppers if we hadn't gotten rid of cutler. . .

turftoad
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry, I do not have a link and should not state that as fact, Jim Wrongstrong of the Denver Post stated that Denver is not on the list of teams that Peppers gave to the Panthers.......

I remember that now.

dogfish
04-23-2009, 06:13 PM

FWIW, that's also been reported on PFT. . . i don't have a link either, but i'm sure a google search would find it. . . i know dallas and new england were his top choices, and off the top of my head i believe the other two were actually AFC south teams. . . .

slim
04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
What kind of name is Yasinkis? Is that Greek?

turftoad
04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
oh come one! how's he supposed to rush the passer or cover the tight end with these on?

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6301/clownshoes.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clownshoes.jpg)

in all honesty, i would have mixed feelings about trading #18 for peppers. . . on the one hand, he's an elite defensive player that would instantly upgrade our horrendous pass rush and free up lots of single teams for other guys to exploit. . . he has plus size for the OLB spot, is a physical run defender and an absolutely freakish athlete-- i won't go so far as to say that he would excell in man coverage, but i think he does have the skillset to do it. . . he has a fair bit of experience dropping into zone coverage with the panthers, and he's been very effective in that role. . .

OTOH, he's going to want an insane amount of money, he hasn't always been known for his high motor, and you do have to question how many years he has left at an elite level. . . you're correct that there's no way we get someone at 18 that can come in and play anywhere close to his level, but what we CAN get there is a talented young player who can potentially be a building block for the next ten years instead of three or four, and will play for relatively cheap for the first four or five of those years. . . plus, peppers would be playing a new position on a considerably less talented unit-- he has the skills to make it happen if he plays hard, but there's no guarantee that he'll be AS effective as he has been in carolina. . . remember, this guy did have just two sacks in '07. . . .

i can see both sides of the question. . . . if we do happen to add that type of impact player you know i'm gonna be incredibly stoked, but given where we are as a franchise right now i think i might pass on him. . . IMO this is really more the type of move you make when you think you could have a serious super bowl contender in the next year or two, and that's not where i see us. . . i would have been higher on the idea of trading for peppers if we hadn't gotten rid of cutler. . .

Again, good post Dog.

BTW, those shoes have cleats on them, thats how he does it. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Please dear God NO.

dogfish
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
What kind of name is Yasinkis? Is that Greek?

typical slim. . . we're talking about franchise-altering moves, and all you can think about is gyros and baklava. . . . :tsk:

Italianmobstr7
04-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I would trade #18 for Peppers in a second! Please please please let this happen!

TXBRONC
04-23-2009, 06:27 PM

I with you. I like Peppers but I like having that 18th overall pick as well.

The biggest draw back is the salary but would it be worth it if brought us back to elite status in short order?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
No thanx. He'd cost way too much to be an experimantal 3-4 OLB. I personally think he'd be fine there, but still too risky for the price.

Simple Jaded
04-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Say Peppers only has 4 to 5 10+ sack seasons left, I'll take that over the BPA at 18, unless somebody can make a legitimate argument for the 18th pick turning into a better player.

I think you guy's might be expecting too much from the 18th pick, it's not much of a pick.......

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Say Peppers only has 4 to 5 10+ sack seasons left, I'll take that over the BPA at 18, unless somebody can make a legitimate argument for the 18th pick turning into a better player.......

That's all well and good, but the cost must also be a consideration. All things being equal, it'd be lunacy to not give up the #18 for a player of his ilk. For a guy who is gonna try to play a new position, he's gonna get way too much bank.

Lonestar
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Problem is his salary.

well he has not played the position and there is no way to know IF he can..

I'd rather have a young stud that has played it in College at 10% of his price tag.. that will learn along side of his piers and be with us for more than 4 years..

nice to have player, but not at even 30% of his going rate..

Simple Jaded
04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
That's all well and good, but the cost must also be a consideration. All things being equal, it'd be lunacy to not give up the #18 for a player of his ilk. For a guy who is gonna try to play a new position, he's gonna get way too much bank.

We don't know what the cost is, my guess is it's fair market value, that's the price you pay for legitimate players.......the 4 year/4 Million in Guaranteed Money contract that Denver was handing out (to backups) in free agency like Bailouts will not cut it with a player like Peppers.

If you want an average player, you keep the 18th pick and hope for the very best, if you want an impact player, trade it for Peppers.

As for trying a new position, New England is rumored to be considering trading for Peppers, if Belicheat thinks he can do it, it's good enough for me.

I honestly think some people would rather have draft picks and the delusions of grandeur they provide than actually getting something tangible from them.

Personally, I'd bet my house that you will not get a player as good as Peppers with that draft pick.......

NameUsedBefore
04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Terrible idea.

And Blue Run was a hack.

honz
04-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd love to have Peppers, but what kind of contract does he want and will we be able to pay him and not lose any of our young core players?

slim
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Guys, I think the author of this rumor is Greek...fyi.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2009, 11:09 PM

who is NOT a clown in your book?

xzn
04-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Bottom Line: Our defense is more than one player away from being good.

Ergo, tying up 10% of our total cap on one guy, to play a position where we have our third best player on defense (Elvis) currently doesn't make sense.

Lonestar
04-24-2009, 01:52 AM

you

and most broncos..

Lonestar
04-24-2009, 01:56 AM

Ergo, tying up 10% of our total cap on one guy, to play a position where we have our third best player on defense (Elvis) currently doesn't make sense.

DING

DING

DING

We have winner!!!.

If this was 2005 going to the playoffs time then he might be worth it..

But we need like 9 players on D not one..

Dirk
04-24-2009, 06:17 AM
If we could get Peppers for a steal and a chopped contract then fine..go for it.

But to spend that kind of money on one player on the defense where we need so much more is not smart.

I'm not saying he isn't a stud, and I'm not saying he is a clown. We just are in need of more than 1 impact player.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any "impact" players on the defensive side of the ball during the offseason. Solid players and leaders but not impacting.

The price is too high for Peppers.

claymore
04-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Hahahahaha! LMFAO!

LRtagger
04-24-2009, 08:50 AM

Delhomme

They gave DelSuck a new contract only to clear up cap space...which they will have ZERO of if they don't trade Peppers.

Because of this I am convinced Peppers will be a Panther this year. There is no other reason to give an aging, average QB who just threw 5 INTs and lost a playoff game for you a contract extension. I would not be surprised to see them try to get a QB this or next offseason.

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
They gave DelSuck a new contract only to clear up cap space...which they will have ZERO of if they don't trade Peppers.

Because of this I am convinced Peppers will be a Panther this year. There is no other reason to give an aging, average QB who just threw 5 INTs and lost a playoff game for you a contract extension. I would not be surprised to see them try to get a QB this or next offseason.

Sadly I have to now agree. It would appear they (caro) has given up on moving him pre-draft thus getting picks THIS year so might as well pay the man.

Dortoh
04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I wonder if another option might be to move from #18 up (yes I said up :) ) to #13

rcsodak
04-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh yeah, thats right. That clown has been one of the best DE in the league for like, 6 years. :D

Yeah...I especially like his 2 1/2 sack year in 2007. :rolleyes:

rcsodak
04-24-2009, 10:09 AM

But, from what I hear, Peppers does not want to play for Denver (and who could blame him).......

Link please. :coffee:

Just because a player doesn't inlude a team, when asked, from 31, doesn't mean he "does not want to play" for one.

rcsodak
04-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Is that a football question?

Ravage!!!
04-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Is that a football question?

:laugh: This literally is the definition of irony.

underrated29
04-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah...I especially like his 2 1/2 sack year in 2007. :rolleyes:

Was he also not injured that year???

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I'd love to have Peppers, but what kind of contract does he want and will we be able to pay him and not lose any of our young core players?

What core players? Seriously.......

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 03:04 PM

That 3rd best player isn't any good, he's an average backup/specialist at best, Dumervil is the worst reason for not trading for Peppers yet.......

Simple Jaded
04-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Link please. :coffee:

Just because a player doesn't inlude a team, when asked, from 31, doesn't mean he "does not want to play" for one.

I'm just taking his word for it, I'm not going any deeper than that, Carolina was not on that list either and he clearly does not want to play for them any longer.

Imo, Peppers see's himself as kind of a free agent, in a sense, he wants to dictate where he goes and then let the market set his contract price. This would have to be considered by any team looking to trade for him, even if your assertion is correct........