PDA

View Full Version : Post your Draft Board

xzn
04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
If you were the GM of the Denver Broncos, considering talent and need, what would your draft board look like. Here's mine:

Rank / Player / Prospect Grade / Position Adjustment / Final Rating / Comment

1. Aaron Curry 97 + 2 = 99 (Ideal SOLB, instant starter, perrennial pro bowl potential)

2. Matthew Stafford 95 + 3 = 98 (Franchise talent and would compete to start right away with pro bowl potential)

3. B.J. Raji 96 + 2 = 98 (At 337 pounds he would fill a gaping hole in the middle of our defense and has some ability to collapse the pocket)

4. Brian Orakpo 96 + 2 = 98 (No doubt about his edge rushing ability, big and strong enough against the run and has athletic ability to develop coverage skills)

5. Tyson Jackson 91 + 5 = 96 (A solid, strong prospect. A safe pick. Fills a huge need.)

6. Knowshon Moreno 93 + 4 = 97 (Pro Bowl potential, instant starter, strong quick runner with great instincts and toughness. Can receive well and is a willing and proven pass blocker.)

7. Mark Sanchez 94 + 2 = 96 (More than adequate physical tools, can make all the throws, a gym rat and fiery leader with polished mechanics and footwork. Would challenge for starting spot early and be a potential franchise quarterback in Mc Daniels' system.)

8. Brian Cushing 90 +5 = 95 (Has overcome past injury issues to play every game the last two years for dominating colegiate defense. An absolute beast on the field with all the measurables. Hard worker who has an intense desire to be the best. A complete LB who can play any of the four positions well.)

9. Clay Matthews 91 + 4 = 95 (Only real question is how he would hold up against the run at the pro level. Covers like a safety and has experience playing DE. Great bloodline.)

10. Rey Maualuga 91 + 3 = 94 (Destructive hitter and playmaker who is very instinctive. Would be a massive upgrade over Andra Davis inside at SILB.)

11. Michael Crabtree 94 Great player but very low need
12. Malcolm Jenkins 94 We need help at safety if he's too slow for CB
13. Everette Brown 93 One dimensional rusher, we already have Elvis for that
14. Chris Wells 93 Not as versatile as Knowshon but would start for us
15. Josh Freeman 93 Not as polished as Sanchez or Stafford but as much upside
16. Peria Jerry 93 I see him playing DE for us rather than at NT
17. Aaron Maybin 93 Another one dimensional rusher. His workout numbers are similar to Tim Crowder's who we already have except Crowder was stronger and Maybin had a better vertical
18. Jason Smith 92 NOT A NEED
19. Vontae Davis 92 Would be higher but questions about coachability and work ethic surround him. Great physical specimin!
20. Ziggy Hood 92 Another possible DE, not a NT.
21. Don Brown 91 Would almost certainly start over our current backs
22. Darius Butler 91 Easily the third best CB
23. Eugene Monroe 91 NOT A NEED
24. Jeremy Maclin 90 NOT A NEED
25. James Laurinitis 90 He would compete with Andra Davis but measurables are only comparable to Spencer Larsen.
26. Louis Delmas 90 Would compete with Barret and Hill right away and replace Dawkins in near future.
27. Le Sean Mc Coy 90 Probably the last RB who would come in and start right away in this draft class
28. Alphonso Smith 90 If he were a little taller he'd probably be the #1 CB but he's not so he's 4th. He still might start over Andre Goodman.)
29. Clint Sintim 90 A solid overall LB with experience in 34 system. Limited experience in man or zone coverage with athletic limitations that might preclude his development as a SOLB. Would probably challenge Andra Davis right away at SILB.)
30. Ron Brace 90 (His overall grade is only 85 but he would fill a HUGE need if we don't get his Eagle teammate)
31. Larry English 89 (Potentially very good edge rusher but another one dimensional LB project)
32. Robert Ayers 89 (Would have a much higher grade for a 43 team as a pass rushing RDE, but a bad fit IMO for a 34 front.)
33. Rashad Johnson 87 (Potential starter at FS)
34. Paul Kruger 87 (Slowish edge rusher with a good motor)
35. Michael Johnson 84 (Freakish athlete. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane)
36 Sean Smith 84 (6'3 214 CB could covert to Safety or challenge Goodman)
37. Patrick Chung 83 (In the box Rover type safety to groom behind Dawkins)
38. Jarron Gilbert 82 (Good potential as a nickle situation RDE or DT)
39. Ricky-Jean Francois 79 (Power base LDE who has not played up to his potential)
40. Connor Barwin 79 (Inexperienced on defense, a real project but with upside. Versatile. Could contribute on kicking teams and goal line / jumbo sets as TE, which is what he was before last Spring.)

:salute:

You can nitpick my board or step up and post your own :coffee:

I am confident we will get three players from the 40 I listed as there are many other prospects that are not on my list who will be taken ahead of the last ten on my list.

With some real luck we might be able to get a fourth guy off that list with the 78th pick!

In any case I can't wait for Saturday, it can't come soon enough for any of us I am sure:cool:

LoyalSoldier
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I honestly don't think Sanchez goes past the hawks.

LRtagger
04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
This is a big board, not a mock

good job xzn. I am way too lazy to do something like this.

honz
04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
This is a big board, not a mock

good job xzn. I am way too lazy to do something like this.
Same here, but here is my top 5.

1. Sean Smith
2. Paul Kruger

LRtagger
04-23-2009, 04:13 PM
utah whore

xzn
04-24-2009, 01:48 AM
My Dad graduated from U of U.

No one has any thoughts on this Draft Board?

Agree? Disagree?

anton...
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
mock drafts are cool 'n all, but grading players on the 0.1% of information actually available to the public on the players...

its a bit tough to grade them with numbers and of need as we have very little knowledge of organisational needs, wants and coaching preferences...

:2cents:

cool thread none the less...

Drill-N-Fill
04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Here is what I think the Broncos top 18 draft board looks like:

1. Aaron Curry
2. Matthew Stafford
3. B.J. Raji
4. Crabtree
5. Tyson Jackson
6. Knowshon Moreno
7. Rey
8. Mark Sanchez
9. Brian Orakpo
10. Everett Brown
11. Macklin
12. Jenkins (I hope we don't draft him at 18).
13. Sinitm
14. Brian Cushing
15. Maybin
16. Wells
17. Brace
18. Evander Hood.

Edit: OT not listed.

xzn
04-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Here is what I think the Broncos top 18 draft board looks like:

1. Aaron Curry
2. Matthew Stafford
3. B.J. Raji
4. Crabtree
5. Tyson Jackson
6. Knowshon Moreno
7. Rey
8. Mark Sanchez
9. Brian Orakpo
10. Everett Brown
11. Macklin
12. Jenkins (I hope we don't draft him at 18).
13. Sinitm
14. Brian Cushing
15. Maybin
16. Wells
17. Brace
18. Evander Hood.

Edit: OT not listed.

Thanks for posting. I'm interested in your reasoning on a few placements.

You have Orakpo, Cushing and Sanchez much lower than most observers so I'm curious as to why that is, if you don't mind explaining.

Drill-N-Fill
04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for posting. I'm interested in your reasoning on a few placements.

You have Orakpo, Cushing and Sanchez much lower than most observers so I'm curious as to why that is, if you don't mind explaining.

I think the Broncos do like the 3 players you mentioned, but just have others in front of him. Orakpo is a prototypical 4-3 DE. Mcdaniels mentioned concerns in his PC today about 43 DE in college playing OLB in a 3-4 system and said not everybody who is projected can do it. I think Orakpo might struggle with the new position.

Sanchez, I do think we are interested in him. But not enough to move up and get him. If we do move up and trade to the Jags spot, it will be for Jackson or Raji. If Sanchez is available at 12, I do believe we will trade down (Jets/bucs). I do have Cushing in the mid 1st round. I noticed you have Clay Mathews high as well. I disagree with you here. I really don't see him in the 1st round at all.

As for my projections, I think we will pick up Rey Maul at 12 (Tyson Jackson and Raji won't be available). And at 18, I have Moreno (We have been high on him all offseason long).

Lonestar
04-24-2009, 06:10 PM
mock drafts are cool 'n all, but grading players on the 0.1% of information actually available to the public on the players...

its a bit tough to grade them with numbers and of need as we have very little knowledge of organisational needs, wants and coaching preferences...

:2cents:

cool thread none the less...

I feel the same way I do not have time to watch much college ball and will enjoy reading what folks have to say..

NameUsedBefore
04-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Aaron Curry is the only sure thing in my mind.

xzn
04-24-2009, 11:52 PM
:cool:
I think the Broncos do like the 3 players you mentioned, but just have others in front of him. Orakpo is a prototypical 4-3 DE. Mcdaniels mentioned concerns in his PC today about 43 DE in college playing OLB in a 3-4 system and said not everybody who is projected can do it. I think Orakpo might struggle with the new position.

Sanchez, I do think we are interested in him. But not enough to move up and get him. If we do move up and trade to the Jags spot, it will be for Jackson or Raji. If Sanchez is available at 12, I do believe we will trade down (Jets/bucs). I do have Cushing in the mid 1st round. I noticed you have Clay Mathews high as well. I disagree with you here. I really don't see him in the 1st round at all.

As for my projections, I think we will pick up Rey Maul at 12 (Tyson Jackson and Raji won't be available). And at 18, I have Moreno (We have been high on him all offseason long).

I wouldn't have any problem with getting any of the three USC backers at 12, but we seem to have them in inverse order.

Still, if we got Rey I'd be excited. I've seen just about every snap of his college career and he is fun to watch. I just feel that Cushing and Matthews both are better athletes and can play SOLB, although SILB could be upgraded as well.

I love the thought of getting Knowshon at 18:cool:

shank
04-24-2009, 11:59 PM
if we have rey at 7, shank isn't happy.

xzn
04-25-2009, 12:04 AM
You still haven't jsutified your seemingly irrational hatred of all USC players.

Did Pete Carroll jilt your sister or something?

shank
04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
You still haven't jsutified your seemingly irrational hatred of all USC players.

i did in the other thread. i don't need a laundry list to drop guys down my board.

chazoe60
04-25-2009, 12:07 AM

I wish Pete Carroll would jilt my sister. Think of the child support.:laugh:

xzn
04-25-2009, 12:10 AM
i did in the other thread. i don't need a laundry list to drop guys down my board.

No, actually you didn't, all you did was repeat the same vague reference to a cleaning product for a woman's vaginal orifice.

You don't have to agree with me, I'm not even trying to convince you... I'm just trying to get you to actually state your objection to every one of the four elite prospects from Troy.

Admit it you're a UCLA fan....:elefant:

shank
04-25-2009, 12:16 AM
No, actually you didn't, all you did was repeat the same vague reference to a cleaning product for a woman's vaginal orifice.

You don't have to agree with me, I'm not even trying to convince you... I'm just trying to get you to actually state your objection to every one of the four elite prospects from Troy.

Admit it you're a UCLA fan....:elefant:

did all three of them sign your hat at a charity event or something?

i would NEVER be happy spending a 1st round pick on anything short of a 3rd down defensive player. i also would be royally pissed to see McD spend a 1st rounder on a guy who doesn't fit our defense.

i'm getting snappy, because i've been drinking, but can we stop this now?

(i'm not a ucla fan, i'm a colorado native and was a buff, but in all honesty i don't care much about college football until it comes time for the NFL draft).

xzn
04-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Dude, go back to drinking. Not trying to get personal. BTW, you are wrong about Rey being able to play on third down and Cushing and Matthews are great fits for 34 SOLB.

But you wouldn't know that since you have already stated that you don't watch much college football. Which is fine with me, but I do watch a lot, particularly USC and happen to know what I am talking about having seen every play over the past two years.

shank
04-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Rey: Off the field his career started with occasional spirited and reckless partying that led to an October 2005 incident where he got into a fight at a Halloween party and was arrested for misdemeanor battery. He agreed in an arraignment diversion program that included counseling.

Former USC linebackers Clay Matthews, who is regarded as potential first-round draft pick, created two years ago a Facebook group called “White Nation,” which among other things advocated the “arrest [of] black babies before they become criminals.” Former USC linebacker Brian Cushing, another potential first-round prospect, joined the Facebook group.

stop talking to me.

EDIT: please.

xzn
04-25-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't know where you got that stuff about Matthews since you provided no link or source. I've never heard that. If its true I like him less. That's garbage. I doubt that he's as much of a racist as that makes him sound. He plays with a wide variety of nationalities and USC is a very diverse campus. However, that is troubling and substantive. I commend you posting something meaningful.

Respectfully, X

xzn
04-25-2009, 01:07 AM
As for the stuff on Rey, that's four years ago when he was a freshman. I'm quite sure he's not the only frosh who has done stupid immature stuff... I know I did.

NameUsedBefore
04-25-2009, 01:09 AM
I'mma create a group called Canvas Nation. It will advocate that we arrest painters before they defile us.

It will be grand.

It may, however, hamper my degree in critiquing art...

"It's not perfect... but that's why I like it."

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I got an email this morning from Pat Bowlen! :D

He saw this thread and wanted all of us loyal fans to know what our draft board looks like...

1. Darius Heyward-Bey
2. Jeremy Maclin
3. Andre Smith
4. Michael Oher
5. Phil Loadholt
6. Percy Harvin
7. Jason Smith
8. Eugene Monroe
9. Pat White
10. Michael Johnson
11. Michael PHELPS

Oh... :shocked: wait... that actually the RAIDERS DRAFT BOARD :beer:

Here's hoping they do something really, really stupid today!! :elefant:

atwater27
04-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Awesome board, X. Wow.

xzn
04-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Awesome board, X. Wow.

Coming from a repected poster like you that means a lot, thanks. :salute:

xzn
04-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I got an email this morning from Pat Bowlen! :D

He saw this thread and wanted all of us loyal fans to know what our draft board looks like...

1. Darius Heyward-Bey
2. Jeremy Maclin
3. Andre Smith
4. Michael Oher
5. Phil Loadholt
6. Percy Harvin
7. Jason Smith
8. Eugene Monroe
9. Pat White
10. Michael Johnson
11. Michael PHELPS

Oh... :shocked: wait... that actually the RAIDERS DRAFT BOARD :beer: