PDA

View Full Version : How did this kid get into a division 1 college?

Mannway187
04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Have any of you ever taken a basic knowledge exam? The NFL has its 50 question basic knowledge exam called the "Wonderlic" that they give to every player at the testing combine. And every year someone posts an unbelievably low score. This year is no different except that this year a new record has been established for the lowest score ever recorded.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/

And this kid is a probable top ten pick in this years draft. The fact that Vince Young scored a six explains why his career was over so fast. It just seems crazy to me that an NFL franchise would fork out millions of dollars for some kid that can hardly spell his own name. Some of us is purty smarterer than some of us, whares arr millions dollars? I'm mostly dumber than a stump can I get a half a million?

LTC Pain
04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Have any of you ever taken a basic knowledge exam? The NFL has its 50 question basic knowledge exam called the "Wonderlic" that they give to every player at the testing combine. And every year someone posts an unbelievably low score. This year is no different except that this year a new record has been established for the lowest score ever recorded.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/

And this kid is a probable top ten pick in this years draft. The fact that Vince Young scored a six explains why his career was over so fast. It just seems crazy to me that an NFL franchise would fork out millions of dollars for some kid that can hardly spell his own name. Some of us is purty smarterer than some of us, whares arr millions dollars? I'm mostly dumber than a stump can I get a half a million?

Lean forward and choke yourself Private Pyle!

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/378122-2012-Draft-News-and-Notes

Buff
04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
It is annoying for schools that actually adhere to academic standards to have to compete with these glorified Jucos who will let anyone in with a pulse.

Northman
04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm mostly dumber than a stump can I get a half a million?

Sure, if you can play football as good as he does. lol

DenBronx
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
A score that low should be a red flag. You dont need to be book smart to play in the NFL but you do need to adjust to the speed of the game and alot of that starts with comprehending the game. It all starts in the mind and then your body reacts to what you know. Vince Young was ok in college but sucked in the NFL, it was just too fast for him and his brain couldnt think with the speed of the NFL.

Take those kinds of players late but never risk it on day 1.

Mannway187
04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=LTC Pain;1605404]Lean forward and choke yourself Private Pyle!

LOL, That made me throw up a little, but I caught most of it. Some got on my April shirt but not to much. I can still wear it the rest of the month as long as I don't try that again.

GEM
04-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Just took one of the practice wonderlic's online. Scored a perfect. If you have trouble with those questions....woah!!!

LTC Pain
04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Just took one of the practice wonderlic's online. Scored a perfect. If you have trouble with those questions....woah!!!

Hey GEM, I'd like to try that. Got a link?

Mannway187
04-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Practice? What time coach? Is there really the need to practice? They'll give ya 2 points if you know who you were when you woke up and 2 more if you can remember what day it is. Did you have to work out to get that perfect score or are you just way smart?

Krugan
04-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Uhhhhh fotbals, rrrrrrrrr drooltowel windowlicking

slim
04-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah, football players are dumb. That IS breaking news.

RebelRocker
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Gotta love those tutors. They "help" you with ALL of your homework.:laugh:

chazoe60
04-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Those tests are culturally bias.

GEM
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Practice? What time coach? Is there really the need to practice? They'll give ya 2 points if you know who you were when you woke up and 2 more if you can remember what day it is. Did you have to work out to get that perfect score or are you just way smart?

I gotz me uh edjumakashon.

Take a look at the test and see how easy it is to get a perfect score....doesn't make me smart....just makes me smarter than a college educated football player.

Does make you wonder how these kids are eligible for football every week that big University is making all that money off the kids legs.

GEM
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey GEM, I'd like to try that. Got a link?

Here you go LTC:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/wonderlic.html

sneakers
04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Football all I know

Cugel
04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I believe that the Wonderlic questions get harder than those sample questions as the test progresses. Steve Young went to Stanford and got a 33, while John Elway got a 30.

Stanford isn't an easy school even if you're an athlete as anybody who ever went there knows. Sure, they had help, but neither of those guys is exactly dumb as a rock.

After taking that sample test, it's difficult to see how you could miss any of those sample questions. But, I missed one just because it's hard for me to read the small print! :laugh:

The only way I can see getting only 4 questions right is dislexia. After all, you could get at least 20% right just by picking at random (which would be 10 questions right)!

chazoe60
04-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Steve Young went to BYU. You just scored a four

UnderArmour
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Claibourne has a learning disability that affects his ability to read; that doesn't mean he is stupid. (IIRC, if it's diagnosed he can still get into college and they work with him from there). It's easy to go "HURR DURR STUPID FOOTBALL PLAYER GOT PASSED THROUGH" but are you really going to rip this guy because he can't do well on a logic test heavy in reading comprehension? The combine gets ways overblown.

HammeredOut
04-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Lean forward and choke yourself Private Pyle!

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/378122-2012-Draft-News-and-Notes

Tebow scored like a 12 on the wonderlic test.... :D

Mannway187
04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Steve Young went to Stanford and got a 33,

Heres your SIGN :smack:

Stanford isn't an easy school

Its even harder if your going to BYU while studying at Stanford.
Just poking fun so don't be offended. OK?:boink:

chazoe60
04-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Who gives a shit? Why are you bringing up the Jets' backup QB? Go lust after your Terry Bradshaw bobblehead and stop posting.

Nomad
04-03-2012, 09:29 PM
I see we have another trooper in the wonderlic police force here. :fart:

Dzone
04-03-2012, 09:45 PM
A lot of what is taught in college is nonsense anyway. Claiborne probably got extra credit by staying after class to erase the chalkboards and take out the trash.

HammeredOut
04-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Who gives a shit? Why are you bringing up the Jets' backup QB? Go lust after your Terry Bradshaw bobblehead and stop posting.

The question was how did "Idiots" get into division 1 football... I just named one... Tebow.... Other people brought up Vince young and whoever...

Terry Bradshaw has 4 superbowl rings, and has both ears plugged twice..... 4 Rings in 4 Superbowl Appearances....

FanInAZ
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Terry Bradshaw has 4 superbowl rings, and has both ears plugged twice..... 4 Rings in 4 Superbowl Appearances....

Football 101: Football is a TEAM SPORT. Forget about how many HoFers he had on his team, let talk about how many of his teams were on the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team: 5. Note the Bradshaw was not on the list. Who was? Mike Webster (C), "Mean" Joe Greene (DT), Jack Ham (LB), Jack Lambert (LB) & Mel Blount (CB).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_75th_Anniversary_All-Time_Team

Do you really believe that he could have won 4 rings in 4 appearances if he doesn't have all of these great teammates, as well as all of the other HoFers that I didn't bother to mention?

Ravage!!!
04-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Bradshaw is an idiot, and even he won Super Bowls. Marino scored low, and is one of teh greatest QBs to play the game. Wonderlic scores dont necessarily translate to good football players. Has nothing to do with football acumen.

I'm actually like many people have stated today, disgusted that this even leaked at all.

HammeredOut
04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Football 101: Football is a TEAM SPORT. Forget about how many HoFers he had on his team, let talk about how many of his teams were on the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team: 5. Note the Bradshaw was not on the list. Who was? Mike Webster (C), "Mean" Joe Greene (DT), Jack Ham (LB), Jack Lambert (LB) & Mel Blount (CB).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_75th_Anniversary_All-Time_Team

Do you really believe that he could have won 4 rings in 4 appearances if he doesn't have all of these great teammates, as well as all of the other HoFers that I didn't bother to mention?

Sure, Elway had to have about 7 or 8 HOFs or future HOFs aswell before he won a superbowl.. I mean we had a 2000 yard back, and an HOF offensive line... ALong with a few on the defensive side... Its not like we didn't ride a top 5 defense into the playoffs aswell when we won it all.... Same goes with San Fran... So the apple doesn't fall far from the tree on this one... Aside... Look at Superbowl statistics and compare... See who the big players used to be.... You will notice certain players stepped up in the big game, and Bradshaw was one of them... He had a 3:1 TD to Interception ratio, while our guy Elway was a throwing 2 interceptions for every touchdown he had... I am a fan of football, and great players..

Ravage!!!
04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Yet, with those that have watched football since Bradshaw played, no one mentions Terry as one of the top 10 or 15 greatest to play. Weird.

Npba900
04-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Bradshaw is an idiot, and even he won Super Bowls. Marino scored low, and is one of teh greatest QBs to play the game. Wonderlic scores dont necessarily translate to good football players. Has nothing to do with football acumen.

I'm actually like many people have stated today, disgusted that this even leaked at all.

Yep! The wonderlic score is over rated. Another aspect of the pre-NFL draft workout takes place when players are timed in the 40 and running agility drills in just shorts and T-shirts. Would it not make more since to evaluate the 40 yard dash and other agility drills in full pads? After all, the players must perform on the field during the regular season in full pads. But that's just me.

Mannway187
04-05-2012, 03:39 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/04/barber-says-wonderlic-test-doesnt-matter/

Former Cowboys and Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson said Tuesday via Twitter that “90% of my misses were because I took a chance on marginal intelligence.” He was of course speaking about players he had drafted who had low test scores. If the Wonderlic test were a useless tool, as some have suggested, then the NFL would have stopped using it. I don't think the test was being used in the 60s when Bradshaw was drafted. Even as dumb as he seems to be he could do much better than a 4. Draft prospects can choose not to take the test at the combine if they don't feel comfortable about it. Its no different than running the 40 or throwing the ball. Its voluntary and some guys just plain suck at taking tests under pressure but the still play on Saturdays. Some colleges just don't respect the old "don't pass, Don't play" rules

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Marv Levy used the wonderlic scores, and passed on Rod Woodson because Woodson blew off the test.

I think the wonderlic is more useful for players such as QBs and centers... and maybe a tie-breaker if you have the same feelings between two-player's skill sets. But football intelligence and this test isn't necessarily transferable. Bradshaw is a perfect example. He is (and was) known to be as dumb as a stump, yet had a HoF career. Marino scored low on the Wonderlic, but was an incredible HoF QB. On the other side of the spectrum, Brian Griese is very intelligent and scored fantastically. There have been Rhode Scholars that haven't reached greatness in the NFL.

So what we see, is many that score high on the Wonderlic have done well and failed, and many that have scored low have done well and failed.

Its not exactly science either way.

CoachChaz
04-05-2012, 12:05 PM
What the Wonderlic does for me is make me look at our society. Leave the "football knowledge" out of the equation and think about the fact that some complete idiot that can barely spell his name can get a degree from a major university for free and you have to pay through the nose to get your kid through the same school...assuming they can get in.

And all this because he can run faster than your kid. Kind of ****** up when you think about it.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
What the Wonderlic does for me is make me look at our society. Leave the "football knowledge" out of the equation and think about the fact that some complete idiot that can barely spell his name can get a degree from a major university for free and you have to pay through the nose to get your kid through the same school...assuming they can get in.

And all this because he can run faster than your kid. Kind of ****** up when you think about it.

Thats life. People get better jobs and more opportunities, in ALL societies and throughout history, because they are taller or better looking. Does it take away from me if some other kid has had a better/different opportunity? No. It only makes a difference if I hold resentment and allow it to hinder my life because of bitterness.

BigDaddyBronco
04-05-2012, 12:27 PM

No he didn't, he got a 22. But keep spewing your hate.

BigDaddyBronco
04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/04/barber-says-wonderlic-test-doesnt-matter/

Former Cowboys and Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson said Tuesday via Twitter that “90% of my misses were because I took a chance on marginal intelligence.” He was of course speaking about players he had drafted who had low test scores. If the Wonderlic test were a useless tool, as some have suggested, then the NFL would have stopped using it. I don't think the test was being used in the 60s when Bradshaw was drafted. Even as dumb as he seems to be he could do much better than a 4. Draft prospects can choose not to take the test at the combine if they don't feel comfortable about it. Its no different than running the 40 or throwing the ball. Its voluntary and some guys just plain suck at taking tests under pressure but the still play on Saturdays. Some colleges just don't respect the old "don't pass, Don't play" rules

It was, he got a 16.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1103/nfl-memorable-wonderlic-scores/content.1.html

Mannway187
04-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I have been using my own modified version of a wonder lick :lollypop: test when its time to decide if there (1)will be any extracuricular activity at the end of a first date, and
(2)will there be a second date.
However, my scoring system is completely opposite of the NFL's. The lower the score the better. A four would be a sure thing :eyebrows: anything higher than 15 takes to long and requires to much effort :goodnight: and of course a perfect 10 would be two 2s and a six pack:2thumbs:

SmilinAssasSin27
04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

Some would argue that every person in America has the right to earn their full income potential. If that "idiot" has no other options, ie; no minor league to hone his skill, why should he not be afforded the opportunity to practice his trade?

Scholarships are given for smarts, athletic skill, muscial talent, etc. If you excel at something, you get a shot. THat's the way it should be IMHO. Now I won't disagree that the NCAA's title of "student athelete" is kinda hypocritical, but that's a different conversation.