PDA

View Full Version : UConn defensive tackle could be Broncos' first-round draft pick

Cugel
04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, this is at least encouraging. But, it's mere speculation at this point. I've seen some mock drafts that have Denver taking Reyes, but it's wildly uncertain:

Connecticut defensive tackle Kendall Reyes looks like a late first-round pick in the NFL's April 26-28 draft (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20309658/uconn-defensive-tackle-could-be-broncos-first-round), which means the Broncos probably are interested in him at No. 25 overall.

Reyes (6-foot-4 and 299 pounds) has the size and power the Broncos are looking for at defensive tackle. He showed impressive strength at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis in February, bench-pressing 225 pounds 36 times. . . . . At the scouting combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.95 seconds and had a 34½-inch vertical jump. That impressive athleticism helped him make a 79-yard interception return in a Big East Conference game against Cincinnati in 2010.

Reyes, who turns 23 on Sept. 26, isn't a finished product. But don't hold that against him. The NFL likes prospects who have a lot of upside, especially at Reyes' position.

This year's draft is extraordinarily deep at defensive tackle. Seven players there could have first-round grades entering the draft, so the Broncos should have plenty to choose from in the No. 25 slot.

There are other possibilities of course:

25 DENVER BRONCOS: JEREL WORTHY, DT, MICHIGAN ST. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php)
Jerel Worthy | Michigan St. Spartans

Scouting Report

John Elway and his new Broncos regime did a fantastic job of using the 2011 NFL Draft to plug holes and upgrade their overall talent level. However, there is only so much that can be done in a single offseason and one area that fell by the wayside was defensive tackle. Denver must still find an impact presence for the interior of their defensive line, especially now that Brodrick Bunkley has left as a free agent, and there should be some intriguing options available at this point. Michigan St. DT Jerel Worthy certainly looks the part and at his best can be a dominant force as a pass rusher and run stopper. Unfortunately Worthy doesn’t always play up to his immense talent level, Jerel Worthy | Michigan St. Spartans which is why he will likely be available late in the first round. With that said, if John Fox, Jack Del Rio and the Broncos coaching staff can motivate Worthy he could become one of the leagues better three-techniques. Other possibilities at the position might include Michael Brockers of L.S.U., Kendall Reyes of Connecticut or Devon Still of Penn St. Don’t rule out a running back such as David Wilson of Virginia Tech, Lamar Miller of Miami (FL) or even Doug Martin of Boise St. either.

CoachChaz
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I have him at the top of my mock. Out of the 3 that I think could be available (Stil, Reyes, Worthy) he has the better pass rush game. And we need some pressure up the middle

dogfish
04-03-2012, 12:08 PM
we have warren, vickerson and mcbean to play the three-technique, and no nosetackle on the roster-- if we do happen to draft a DT early, i'm betting it's somebody that will play the one-tech. . . like ta'amu, poe, worthy or mike martin. . .

SpringsBroncoFan
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
we have warren, vickerson and mcbean to play the three-technique, and no nosetackle on the roster-- if we do happen to draft a DT early, i'm betting it's somebody that will play the one-tech. . . like ta'amu, poe, worthy or mike martin. . .

Mayock now has Worthy #2 behind Cox based on viewing more tape so I guess he is a solid 1st round now, as long as teams are happy with his interviews. There is a gauntlet of 34 teams ahead of us, Poe(even though he's been dropping some) is rumored to be targeted by Dallas (from SI) and are now spreading disinformation that they like Barron. Steelers could well take the leftovers of Poe & Ta'amu to reload at NT.

To your point, it seems to me that grabbing the disruptive guy would be more important to EFX than the NT given how they value speed. Poe is certainly fast but early on in his development he's better in a 34 front where he can just react as opposed to a 43 front where he's going to need to think. As his coach has pointed out, it can get ugly when he starts to think... usually resulting with him being on the ground...

I'd be happy with Reyes or Worthy...

Besides, we still have a NT... Sealver Siliga!!! :whoo: :D

dogfish
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Mayock now has Worthy #2 behind Cox based on viewing more tape so I guess he is a solid 1st round now, as long as teams are happy with his interviews. There is a gauntlet of 34 teams ahead of us, Poe(even though he's been dropping some) is rumored to be targeted by Dallas (from SI) and are now spreading disinformation that they like Barron. Steelers could well take the leftovers of Poe & Ta'amu to reload at NT.

To your point, it seems to me that grabbing the disruptive guy would be more important to EFX than the NT given how they value speed. Poe is certainly fast but early on in his development he's better in a 34 front where he can just react as opposed to a 43 front where he's going to need to think. As his coach has pointed out, it can get ugly when he starts to think... usually resulting with him being on the ground...

I'd be happy with Reyes or Worthy...

Besides, we still have a NT... Sealver Siliga!!! :whoo: :D

hell, i'd be happy with any of 'em at this point. . . even a NASCAR defense should have somebody capable of holding the POA, though. . .

hamrob
04-03-2012, 06:28 PM
My DT ranking for #25:

1. Cox
2. Worthy
3. Reyes
4. Still
5. Poe

Cugel
04-04-2012, 11:17 AM
If they draft any of those guys I'll be happy. I don't watch enough college football to rank DTs realistically. In any case it's silly pit your own knowledge against scouts who do that for a living.

But, it's pretty clear that there are a number of well regarded DT prospects who could go in the first and second round. The problem for the Broncos will be to get the right one or two.

S was a big concern, but getting Mike Adams mitigates that need for this year. Acquiring Porter means they don't have to get a CB this season either although it's a long-term need because Champ Bailey isn't getting any younger.

As for DE, they just used a #1 on Robert Ayers. He hasn't been particularly good so far but he has some promise still. His play improved last season with the new coaching staff, so hopefully that can continue. And of course, Dumervil is all-pro at the other end so they're set there (not much depth though).

LBs outside Von Miller are a real concern. None are particularly good, although none are as bad as the Broncos LBs of a few seasons ago.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Of Worthy and Reyes, if Denver does like both,I think we should grab Worthy in round 1 and make a move to snag Reyes in the 2nd round. I can't see 7 DTs going in round 1. My favorite site has Cox, Poe, Brockers, Worthy (to us) and Reyes going in round 1. Even if Reyes is gone, there will still be some guys left for us in round 2. I REALLY do like Mike Martin. I think he is a 10 year guy who will give OL fits with his ability and energy.

BTW...the same site has us taking Osweiler in round 2.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Fact:

The Broncos haven't drafted a DT since the 5th round in 2008 (Carlton Powell). It won't happen guys. Don't you guys know that DTs are for mock drafts and dreams?

This team is gonna roll with Warren, Vickerson, McBean, Unrein, and Jarmon. Talent at DT isn't required, I mean how hard is it to stand there and take up space, right? :tsk:

Superchop 7
04-05-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm still going with Stills or Reyes in the first. The more I watch Reyes the more I am impressed with his hands and ability to shed. 4.53 short shuttle shows his quickness, he is a former receiver, linebacker, and DE. Having a thick lower trunk and having a verticle like that is just stupid.

Trained at IMG.

As for NT, imagine getting Thompson in rd 2.......imagine having both these guys on the roster......sick.

Cugel
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Another prospect to consider is Devon Still from Penn State. From today's Denver Post:

Devon Still (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20326798/penn-state-defensive-tackle-worth-predraft-look-from), a consensus All-American and the Big Ten Conference defensive player of the year last season with the Nittany Lions, will carry a first-round grade into the NFL's April 26-28 draft. He could be available when the Broncos get to use their first-round pick. They're in the No. 25 slot.

Still has been pushed down the draft board by a few underclassmen who are available at his position. But teams like his size (6-foot-4½, 303 pounds). And they love his game tape from the Outback Bowl that completed Penn State's 2010 season. Playing across the line of scrimmage from Florida's Mike Pouncey, a first-round draft pick, Still had 3½ tackles for lost yardage.

"I think I had a very average year my junior year, and I never strive for being mediocre," Still said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis in February. "I try to be the best that I can be. I put in a lot of overtime during the offseason just to prepare myself to be one of the best in the country for my senior year and make my mark at Penn State."

He's had a broken ankle, a knee injury and a bad back, but he overcame those injuries to have a good senior year. He might well be there at #25 because teams like to grab underclassmen for their untapped "potential." A perfect example of a guy who was grabbed too early and struggled in the NFL was Amobi Akoye. He was only 19 when he was drafted out of Louisville and that immaturity has shown in his career. He's still only 24, entering his 6th season.

He never lived up to his "potential" partly because he entered the league too soon and wasn't able to handle it.

Superchop 7
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
In regards to Still, I love his explosiveness, the negatives (for me) are the injury history and having a build like a DE instead of a DT.......but......if they get him......I would be happy.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
This is the guy that I want... and what I want to see him do... "Are you kidding me???"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWMp8YVRcQ

Oh, and he was a 2 yr team captain & class president so take that Still... :D

Jsteve01
04-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you that he'll never do that in the NFl but it was fun to watch and Muhammad Wilkerson endorses this pick of a first round DT sleeper from a small school.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you that he'll never do that in the NFl but it was fun to watch and Muhammad Wilkerson endorses this pick of a first round DT sleeper from a small school.

Wow, there's an earth shattering statement that a DT won't get a 79 yard TD... :rolleyes: I'll be happy to settle for any type of TD... even 5 yds or less... :D

Wilkerson wasn't a sleeper by the time the draft rolled around and his stats were better than all but two picks ahead of him (Taylor & Watt) so I hope you're not implying that small school picks like Wilkerson & Reyes are destined to be busts...