PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Focus Take on Joe Mays

Jsteve01
04-03-2012, 08:30 AM
According to their stats which are pretty cut and dry, Mays was the best linebacker in the league last year in run stop percentage. I think the obvious problem with that stat is that with as much nickel as we ran last year, his numbers are a little skewed by lack of total snaps, but it is encouraging to see that when he was on the field he was an asset in the run game.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/29/2011-run-stop-percentage-linebackers/

CoachChaz
04-03-2012, 09:10 AM
There is no doubt he can bring the lumber. His issue is he isnt very fast...doesnt get to the edge quick enough...couldnt cover a center if he ran a route and he likes to tackle dirt.

Other than that, he's a great MLB

LTC Pain
04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
There is no doubt he can bring the lumber. His issue is he isnt very fast...doesnt get to the edge quick enough...couldnt cover a center if he ran a route and he likes to tackle dirt.

Likes to tackle dirt....ROFLMAO!!!

Cugel
04-03-2012, 10:22 AM
The reason giving Mays a $4 million contract was a mistake is that he just doesn't have the speed or flexibility to cover receivers over the middle that you need to be a good MLB. It's not just how hard he hits, it's whether he can cover TEs and RBs in the flat.

And he just isn't that good at it. He's a weakness, and not a strength. They need a significant upgrade at that position. Unfortunately given his oversized contract they're not likely to get it. :coffee:

BroncoStud
04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I wonder if they are taking into account how many of his tackles were 5-7 yards downfield. We need someone who can attack the line of scrimmage and stop plays at the point of attack, not make them after 5 yards have been netted.

Cugel
04-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I wonder if they are taking into account how many of his tackles were 5-7 yards downfield. We need someone who can attack the line of scrimmage and stop plays at the point of attack, not make them after 5 yards have been netted.

I'm not going to knock May's ability against the run. He looked solid in that department and the stats bear that out. But, when it comes to covering the TE or RB in the flat? Not so much. And that's about 1/2 his job!

GEM
04-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought last season the tackling was much better than in seasons past. I wonder if Mays missed all the tackling drills cause he still doesn't know how to wrap up and not try pulling the Superman leap.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-03-2012, 01:25 PM
The reason giving Mays a $4 million contract was a mistake is that he just doesn't have the speed or flexibility to cover receivers over the middle that you need to be a good MLB. It's not just how hard he hits, it's whether he can cover TEs and RBs in the flat.

And he just isn't that good at it. He's a weakness, and not a strength. They need a significant upgrade at that position. Unfortunately given his oversized contract they're not likely to get it. :coffee:

It's not a mistake when the other FA's are more expensive and your staff determines that the rookie is not yet ready. As was pointed out, Mays didn't get much guaranteed money so if you want to draft a MLB next year or pray that Keuchly or Kendricks falls then it's no big deal... not with the holes we still have...

WARHORSE
04-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Thats what the down and distance stats were. Mays was tops in making the tackle short of the first down or goaline marker.

Simple Jaded
04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4943/joe-mays

For whatever reason Rotoworld thinks Mays' contract is basically just a one year deal. Mays is basically the defensive version of the Broncos old QB, good in the running game and garbage in the passing game. But you can get by with that at MLB.

If Keuckly drops to 25 I think he'd be too good to pass up.......

Cugel
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
It's not a mistake when the other FA's are more expensive and your staff determines that the rookie is not yet ready. As was pointed out, Mays didn't get much guaranteed money so if you want to draft a MLB next year or pray that Keuchly or Kendricks falls then it's no big deal... not with the holes we still have...

It's only a mistake in that they failed to sign either Bunkley or Thomas and could have used that $4 million to sign either one, possibly both.

Assuming that they draft a DT in the first round (a big if) the rookie is still not going to be an impact player in his first season, which means they need a veteran to start ahead of him.

Well, who will that be? Vickerson? Ty Warren if he's healthy and can still play might take ONE spot. But, who's the other starter? Ryan McBean? Just imagine them announcing the starting lineup: "And now at DT, Ryan McBean!" (Or if you like substitute Vickerson).

Now you see why I'm unhappy.

dogfish
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
It's not a mistake when the other FA's are more expensive and your staff determines that the rookie is not yet ready.

let's see what hawthorne got in new orleans before saying it wasn't a mistake. . . :lol:

personally, i think they just panicked on this one. . . i wish they would have overpaid paul soliai instead. . .

i bet we take a 'backer with one of our first four picks-- and whether it's a WILL or a MIKE should give us a pretty good hint about their perception of nate irving. . . i'd say mays will probably be lucky to see more than the guaranteed first year of this contract. . .

Cugel
04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
let's see what hawthorne got in new orleans before saying it wasn't a mistake. . . :lol:

personally, i think they just panicked on this one. . . i wish they would have overpaid paul soliai instead. . .

i bet we take a 'backer with one of our first four picks-- and whether it's a WILL or a MIKE should give us a pretty good hint about their perception of nate irving. . . i'd say mays will probably be lucky to see more than the guaranteed first year of this contract. . .

If it turns out to be a 1 year deal for $2 million it's not that bad. As for Nate Irving, I'm betting that his fate is not a lot different than Rahim Moore's. Bench.

Then next year he's going to have to prove something or he's gone.

If they had strengthened the OL and DL they could afford to take the "best available player" at MLB, G, C, or DT instead of desperately needing a DT just to have enough bodies heading into the season.

Of course they might find a DT stiff somewhere in June or July. Not every team is going to trade away a player like Bunkley though. The Eagles didn't want him because he was a top 15 pick and for a top 15 pick he was a bust at rushing the passer.

For a 5th round pick in 2013 however, he was a steal for us. Too bad they didn't keep him.

bcbronc
04-04-2012, 01:18 AM

imo you're not giving Mays enough credit for his ability to plug the wrong gap.

Thats what the down and distance stats were. Mays was tops in making the tackle short of the first down or goaline marker.

It all makes sense now.

1st and 10: Mays, tackle for 8 yard gain.
2nd and 2: Mays overruns B gap, fills C gap, RB hits B gap for 6 yards. Scorer doesn't blame Mays since he had "his" gap filled.
Repeat.

Cugel
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
imo you're not giving Mays enough credit for his ability to plug the wrong gap.

It all makes sense now.

1st and 10: Mays, tackle for 8 yard gain.
2nd and 2: Mays overruns B gap, fills C gap, RB hits B gap for 6 yards. Scorer doesn't blame Mays since he had "his" gap filled.
Repeat.

:laugh: :laugh:

In fairness to Mays, he often does hit very hard. . . . and then fails to wrap up the ball-carrier.

Mays then looks surprised when the guy bounces off the hit and keeps running.