PDA

View Full Version : Legwold - Broncos likely finished signing free agents for now

Tned
04-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I read something over the weekend that said the Broncos still had cap space, but have also seen people state what Legwold is stating. Not sure who's accurate here:

They have signed 10 players to contracts worth about $141 million over the life of their deals. Those contracts will count about $40.5 million against Denver's salary cap this season.

All of their workable salary cap space is gone, so the Broncos probably are done signing free agents. That means they likely won't re-sign Thomas.

Read more: Broncos likely finished signing free agents for now - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20303681/broncos-likely-finished-signing-free-agents-now?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1qtNS6QR1)

CoachChaz
04-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Then we have ZERO choice but to draft at least 2 DT's and hopefully pick up something from the cuts scrapheap

Cugel
04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Just WONDERFUL! Vickerson and Mitch Unrein and (maybe) some rookie DT are your starters?

Does anybody else see how utterly stupid this decision is? They absolutely needed to sign either Bunkley or Thomas and preferably both. Add in Ty Warren (maybe IF he's healthy and IF he can come back 3 years after he played his last NFL game).

Then they could cut Vickerson and Unrein and draft a rookie DT. The rotation would be Thomas and Bunkley with Warren and the rookie backing up. That's acceptable.

BUT NO! They let Bunkley and Thomas both walk and now are utterly screwed. Even if they draft a DT at #25 he's not going to be an instant all-pro. It takes up to 3 years to learn to play DT -- and we're not talking about a "ready to start day 1" Player like Marcel Dareus here.

When you're drafting at #25 there are no "sure-fire, can't miss" players. DTs like that get taken in the top 10.

This is just a flat total disaster. Unless they think they can sign some DT who's cut in June (and the list of such players they've signed in the past is not encouraging: the worthless Jimmy Kennedy comes to mind), then they're going into the season with this rotation:

Starters: Vickerson and Mitch Unrein (can you say "5 yards per carry"?)

Backups: Ty Warren (IF he's healthy and can play at all)
A rookie DT (if they even draft one which is by no means assured).

After all they might NOT be in a position to draft a DT with the #25 pick. The ones they like might all be gone by then. It's happened a lot in other years and that was the excuse last year. And even if they do draft a DT he's not going to come in and start and be great immediately.

Every year its the same damn thing with the Broncos! One crappy DT after another! Then they wonder why their defense sucks every year (Last year it was barely mediocre). They just never learn. :tsk:

topscribe
04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
C'mon now . . . chill. They're not up their just twiddling their thumbs. I'm sure they have a plan.

Bear with them for a while. This is the same outfit that took the #32 defense up to #20 and gave us a playoff year.

BigDaddyBronco
04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
The plan is that Manning will get the lead early and we will not need to stop the run as the other team will be playing catch-up.

The other deal said they still have $13 million of cap space this year, so even with the rookie class that they need to sign, they will have some money left to sign some re-treads. I thought they would at least re-sign Thomas, and they still might, but it has been sad so far. McBean might lose 6 games and is a RFA, but I doubt anyone wants him so he should be back.
So that leaves us with an injury prone Warren, a coming off injury Vickerson, 10 games from McBean, Mitch Unrien, Jeremy Jarmon, and Sealver Siliga.

We could be coming out of training camp with Warren, Vickerson, McBean, and Unrein or Jarmon as our rotation. Hopefully they draft 1 or 2, sign Thomas, McBean wins his appeal/court case, and Vickerson and Warren are healthy. Then you can have a rookie NT and Thomas as a NT, and Warren and Vickerson as UT's with McBean filling in wherever. That still sucks, but they can at least field a rotation.

Nomad
04-02-2012, 11:18 AM
The plan is that Manning will get the lead early and we will not need to stop the run as the other team will be playing catch-up.

The other deal said they still have $13 million of cap space this year, so even with the rookie class that they need to sign, they will have some money left to sign some re-treads. I thought they would at least re-sign Thomas, and they still might, but it has been sad so far. McBean might lose 6 games and is a RFA, but I doubt anyone wants him so he should be back.
So that leaves us with an injury prone Warren, a coming off injury Vickerson, 10 games from McBean, Mitch Unrien, Jeremy Jarmon, and Sealver Siliga.

We could be coming out of training camp with Warren, Vickerson, McBean, and Unrein or Jarmon as our rotation. Hopefully they draft 1 or 2, sign Thomas, McBean wins his appeal/court case, and Vickerson and Warren are healthy. Then you can have a rookie NT and Thomas as a NT, and Warren and Vickerson as UT's with McBean filling in wherever. That still sucks, but they can at least field a rotation.

We are all hoping this is the way it works out! BRONCOS receivers better sneak some stick'em into the game.

Collapse the pocket should be the BRONCOS MO for this draft!

Northman
04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I guess im one of the few that isnt crapping my pants. I think we will be just fine. Draft smart and stay healthy and the world is our oyster.

Cugel
04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
C'mon now . . . chill. They're not up their just twiddling their thumbs. I'm sure they have a plan.

Bear with them for a while. This is the same outfit that took the #32 defense up to #20 and gave us a playoff year.

No, Top, LAST year they had a plan! The "hope and a prayer" plan.

They signed Ty Warren and Broderick Bunkley. Bunkley was a hope that he'd improve in a new environment. Warren was a prayer that he'd be recovered from injury and become the player he was in 2009.

They got lucky signing Broderick Bunkley. Not so lucky with Warren.

But, what's the plan this year? Give Joe Mays $4 million, let Bunkley and Thomas go, let all the good FAs sign with other teams. And rely on the draft?

They can get one potentially good DT in the draft at most. Are they really going to use their #1 and #2 pick on DTs and ignore everything else?

You can bet they won't do that!

What do they do if there's a STUD LB or S available when they pick and the DTs they like are gone? They're going to go with LB or S. That's just how you have to draft to avoid drafting guys like Marcus Nash (Broncos #1st round WR who never made the 53 man roster).

Their plan, if there even is one, sucks! At BEST they could be counting on finding some FA who's been released in the June cuts. But that is a very risky proposition.

We've been down that road many times before and we always end up with an Amon Gordon or Antwon Burton or Sam Adams! :rolleyes:

What I really think they are doing is just shrugging their shoulders and going into the season with Vickerson and Unrein and McBean and Warren as their DT rotation! With maybe a rookie DT in there somewhere. :tsk:

LTC Pain
04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
No, Top, LAST year they had a plan! The "hope and a prayer" plan.

They signed Ty Warren and Broderick Bunkley. Bunkley was a hope that he'd improve in a new environment. Warren was a prayer that he'd be recovered from injury and become the player he was in 2009.

They got lucky signing Broderick Bunkley. Not so lucky with Warren.

But, what's the plan this year? Give Joe Mays $4 million, let Bunkley and Thomas go, let all the good FAs sign with other teams. And rely on the draft?

They can get one potentially good DT in the draft at most. Are they really going to use their #1 and #2 pick on DTs and ignore everything else?

You can bet they won't do that!

What do they do if there's a STUD LB or S available when they pick and the DTs they like are gone? They're going to go with LB or S. That's just how you have to draft to avoid drafting guys like Marcus Nash (Broncos #1st round WR who never made the 53 man roster).

Their plan, if there even is one, sucks! At BEST they could be counting on finding some FA who's been released in the June cuts. But that is a very risky proposition.

We've been down that road many times before and we always end up with an Amon Gordon or Antwon Burton or Sam Adams! :rolleyes:

What I really think they are doing is just shrugging their shoulders and going into the season with Vickerson and Unrein and McBean and Warren as their DT rotation! With maybe a rookie DT in there somewhere. :tsk:

Don't you think your getting freakishly maniacal with this "woes is me" about DTs in multiple threads Cug? I agree with Top that EFX likely has a plan and we should wait/see at the draft. You plastering the sky is falling over and over again in several threads won't help anything because you don't know what's going to happen. I think the Broncos signing Adams, Manning and Porter were legitimate steps by EFX to fix weaknesses/holes. I'm waiting for the draft before even trying to draw any other conclusions. I like what I've seen from EFX so far and think we are on the right track.

DenBronx
04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
I read something over the weekend that said the Broncos still had cap space, but have also seen people state what Legwold is stating. Not sure who's accurate here:

Read more: Broncos likely finished signing free agents for now - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20303681/broncos-likely-finished-signing-free-agents-now?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1qtNS6QR1)

Keep in mind that it was ESPN and NBC Sports who first reported that we still had 13.8 million in cap left a few days ago. Guys like Legwold look at the total contract and consider it all cap space when that really isn't the case. Some can be used as cash/signing bonuses that doesnt really count against the cap.

But, I agree that we are done for now. I think they will put all of their focus on the draft and wait for bargain signings after that. It doesnt make sense to just max out the cap at this point. EFX came out swinging wild this free agent period. I like that they spent big for Manning and want to win now. However, after the draft I think they will look at more free agents if needed. It will all depend on who falls to us.

Cugel
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Keep in mind that it was ESPN and NBC Sports who first reported that we still had 13.8 million in cap left a few days ago. Guys like Legwold look at the total contract and consider it all cap space when that really isn't the case. Some can be used as cash/signing bonuses that doesnt really count against the cap.

But, I agree that we are done for now. I think they will put all of their focus on the draft and wait for bargain signings after that. It doesnt make sense to just max out the cap at this point. EFX came out swinging wild this free agent period. I like that they spent big for Manning and want to win now. However, after the draft I think they will look at more free agents if needed. It will all depend on who falls to us.

That would at least be a plan. However, if you remember in detail the history of trying to find adequate DTs from the June cuts scrap heap you know that's not an attractive option.

As Denver's history in signing Sam Adams, Amon Gordon, Jimmy Kennedy, Antwon Burton, Dewayne Robertson, Ron Fields, Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan and Le Kevin Smith, etc., etc. indicates with abundant clarity, the players who are available at that point usually are available because they SUCK. They are the injured, the old and/or the useless. :coffee:

Broderick Bunkley was actually a step UP from the useless Chodes they usually get to play DT each season. Of course they let him go. :coffee:

Right now the Broncos are reduced to desperately hoping Ty Warren is the come-back player of the year and that some stud DT falls to them in the draft. Because if those two things DON'T happen they are royally screwed.

Tned
04-02-2012, 04:20 PM

I thought it came from NFL.com, and counted all contracts the Broncos had in place. Going by memory, however, so I might have that wrong.

Tned
04-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Xanders was on the radio earlier. I didn't hear it, but here is one of the things that Andrew Mason Tweeted:

RT @MaxBroncos (“@MaxBroncos): RT @CBSSportsNFLDEN: #broncos Xanders: 'We're not done yet' with free agency http://t.co/G4h8upiu

Nomad
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Who is left out there in FA the BRONCOS would want?

Ziggy
04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Franklin, Hill, Landry, Castillo, Okoye, Thomas....who knows.

Nomad
04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Franklin (OL), Hill(?), Landry(DB), Castillo(OL), Okoye(DL), Thomas(DL)....who knows.

Out of those names who would you go after.....I'm not sure some of their positions, so I guessed.

Tned
04-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Andrew Mason on the subject of cap room:

RT @Max​Broncos @richardrush28 @bronctastic @BroncosForums Since I don't want to clog Twitter feeds any more than I have on the subject, I'll write this once more: The NFL.com story to calcuate the Broncos' cap figure says they have only 46 current contracts. They have 71 players under contract or commitment and the salary cap is calculated out of the top 51 of these.

Nomad
04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Andrew Mason on the subject of cap room:

RT @Max​Broncos @richardrush28 @bronctastic @BroncosForums Since I don't want to clog Twitter feeds any more than I have on the subject, I'll write this once more: The NFL.com story to calcuate the Broncos' cap figure says they have only 46 current contracts. They have 71 players under contract or commitment and the salary cap is calculated out of the top 51 of these.

So what does this mean Tned? BRONCOS still have plenty of cash or need not spend anymore??

Tned
04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
So what does this mean Tned? BRONCOS still have plenty of cash or need not spend anymore??

He's saying the Broncos have very little cap left and will need what they have to sign rookies.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Out of those names who would you go after.....I'm not sure some of their positions, so I guessed.

They're all DT's; Aubreyo Franklin (Saints), Sammie Lee Hill (restricted FA, Lions), Derek Landri (Eagles), Luis Castillo (SD), and Okoye/Thomas.......

Nomad
04-02-2012, 07:18 PM
They're all DT's; Aubreyo Franklin (Saints), Sammie Lee Hill (restricted FA, Lions), Derek Landri (Eagles), Luis Castillo (SD), and Okoye/Thomas.......

Too lazy to look up but the question was answered in FA forum about player's positions. Thanks for clarifying. Too bad BRONCOS don't have anymore money to spend

Simple Jaded
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Sammie Lee Hill is an interesting option, imo, l think he's got starter ability, at least on 1st and 2nd down. The kicker is he's restricted, and much like Mike Wallace, l think if Denver could sign him to a contract that Det can't match (they're cap strapped too) it would only cost Denver a 4th round pick.

I'm sure it won't be popular, if fans don't like idea of using a draft pick to acquire Jonanthan Stewart they're not gonna like the idea of an unproven backup DT.......

Ziggy
04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Too lazy to look up but the question was answered in FA forum about player's positions. Thanks for clarifying. Too bad BRONCOS don't have anymore money to spend

The Broncos still have around 13 million in cap room Nomad. Both the reports that they were done signing free agents and the reports that they were out of cap room were wrong.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Sammie Lee Hill is an interesting option, imo, l think he's got starter ability, at least on 1st and 2nd down. The kicker is he's restricted, and much like Mike Wallace, l think if Denver could sign him to a contract that Det can't match (they're cap strapped too) it would only cost Denver a 4th round pick.

I'm sure it won't be popular, if fans don't like idea of using a draft pick to acquire Jonanthan Stewart they're not gonna like the idea of an unproven backup DT.......

with the outcry for a DT around here, I think most would be just fine w/ dealing a 4th for SLH.

Ziggy
04-03-2012, 12:22 AM

Sammie Lee Hill. He would cost us a 4th rounder, but would be well worth it.

Canmore
04-03-2012, 12:40 AM
I don't know who to believe when it comes to our cap situation. Legwold says we are done, Xanders says we are not. I don't remember who says we have nearly $14 million left to spend and another report shows us with half a million. Really wish I knew the actual story.

Ziggy
04-03-2012, 01:39 AM
I don't know who to believe when it comes to our cap situation. Legwold says we are done, Xanders says we are not. I don't remember who says we have nearly $14 million left to spend and another report shows us with half a million. Really wish I knew the actual story.

I think I'll go with the general manager's take on it over the reporter's.

Canmore
04-03-2012, 01:42 AM
I think I'll go with the general manager's take on it over the reporter's.

Agreed. But the stories are really conflicting. Just saying.

Cugel
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
It's generally agreed that the game of musical chairs is over for now. Whether Denver has some money left or not, most of the FAs have already been signed.

There will be some cap casualties in June where teams dump salary on the old and injured and the under-achievers. Broderick Bunkley was one such casualty when the Eagles let him go last year.

Denver took a chance on him and he performed well enough to improve their run defense and generally became the best DT Denver has had since Trevor Pryce last played that position in 2002.

I suppose that if Legwold is wrong we could see them re-sign Marcus Thomas which would be a relief. He's not exactly great, but he is at least adequately mediocre, which is more than we can say for Unrein or Vickerson. :coffee:

I wouldn't feel too uncomfortable with them entering the season with Thomas starting with Warren and a rookie DT to work into the lineup.