PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade the #12 pick for Cassel?

omac
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
(poll above)

Reading one of the threads got me thinking .... if neither the Lions nor the Rams choose a QB, KC could take any QB in the draft.

Pioli already got a great deal in Cassel and Vrabel for a 3rd. Getting a 1st for Cassel would already make him a profit, draft-wise. Plus, he has a pretty serviceable starter in Thigpen, so he has time to develop a rookie QB.

We all know McDaniels would love to have Cassel, and on the plus side, he's been ingrained in McDaniels system.

Couple to this, some posters want to get Sanchez with the #12 pick if he falls to us.

Would you trade the #12 pick for Cassel?

bcbronc
04-22-2009, 08:41 PM
assuming we have no plans for drafting Sanchez, no.

Ravage!!!
04-22-2009, 08:43 PM
where is the "EFFING HELL NO!!" choice???

Shazam!
04-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes in a heartbeat but this will not happen.

Cassel would come in and run NE's system from day one. No more issues at QB. No learning curve.

Forget the Cutler debacle happened. He'd have his guy. This would be a great thing.

I've seen him play and I like him. Not as talented physically as Cutler though but he has skills.

Wishful thinking but this won't happen. They'll Draft a QB in the later rounds I think and Orton will be our guy.

bullis26
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
(poll above)

Reading one of the threads got me thinking .... if neither the Lions nor the Rams choose a QB, KC could take any QB in the draft.

Pioli already got a great deal in Cassel and Vrabel for a 3rd. Getting a 1st for Cassel would already make him a profit, draft-wise. Plus, he has a pretty serviceable starter in Thigpen, so he has time to develop a rookie QB.

We all know McDaniels would love to have Cassel, and on the plus side, he's been ingrained in McDaniels system.

Couple to this, some posters want to get Sanchez with the #12 pick if he falls to us.

it was a second actually

slim
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
No, I think Orton is a better QB than Cassel.

Peerless
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
**** no.

omac
04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
it was a second actually

You're right, it was a 2nd, and pretty close to the 1st round too.

omac
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm actually a bit undecided here.

I want that pick for Raji or Jackson, but they could easily be gone. I don't want to move up to get Sanchez. I also said Cassel still has to prove that he can win a starting job in another system.

But we are building the Pats system here that he's done well in, and like Shazam says, it immediately upgrades our offense because of Cassel's familiarity with it. We can start focusing more on defense.

In a head-to-head battle in any other system, I'd pick Orton to beat Cassel, but this is the NE system where Cassel was able to absorb it fully under no pressure or scrutiny at all, due to playing behind Tom Brady, and he will be playing under the coach who mentored him in it. How can it go wrong?

Nomad
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
No! BRONCOS need to concentrate on a pass rusher and run stopper!

UnderArmour
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
(poll above)

Are you ******* kidding me?

omac
04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
No! BRONCOS need to concentrate on a pass rusher and run stopper!

I agree, but the way things are looking now, with Jackson shooting up in the boards, we may not have a chance at either.

That could leave us with bpa, or a reach.

omac
04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
are you ******* kidding me?

lol :D

Davii
04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
No. The D needs much more help than the O. Orton starting or not.

omac
04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Okay, I decided yes. :D

Because McDaniels is an offensive coach, it's probably good to give him every chance to succeed on offense. He wanted his guy, fine, give him his guy.

If the defense plays well, it will be credited to Nolan. If the offense sucks, it will be blamed on McDaniels. By taking Cassel, our offense has a better chance to improve faster, and that would look good on our head coach.

I don't want us getting a defensive player who isn't worth the draft position. We might end up with another Jarvis Moss.

dogfish
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
**** NO!

:defense::defense:

Hawgdriver
04-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Cassel w/ #12 is reasonable. It's better than picking a bust. It immediately improves our chances of winning more games this season. I hate to see this team with even more Patriots stink on them but I want to see a winning team above all. If you could deal TKO for a 3rd I am ok with it.

KCL
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
omac...what's all this talk about getting Cassel? You know something we don't know? :confused: :D

Rex
04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
omac...what's all this talk about getting Cassel? You know something we don't know? :confused: :D

He knows the Chiefs suck.

2-14.

DenBronx
04-22-2009, 09:57 PM
orton and 12 for cassel, lj and a 3rd.

KCL
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
He knows the Chiefs suck.

2-14.

Then why would he want Cassel since he's with the Chiefs now?
Yep 2-14....DC and I have suffered but I think those kinds of seasons
are coming to an end!

KCL
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM

LJ...You want him? That might be a possibility.

Rex
04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
are coming to an end!

Well, you were probably a soph in high school the last time they were in a SB...so you have at least seen some success.

DenBronx
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
LJ...You want him? That might be a possibility.

actually yeah i do. controversy aside, i think he can still be a top 5 back. he seems to have taken a humble approach and has shut up about being traded. still i think theres a good chance he's shopped on draft day. scouts say he would be traded for a 3rd-5th round pick.

heck...we'll send you buckhalter too!

i would feel alot better if cassel was the qb over orton. cassel doesnt need 2-3 years to learn a new system. we can win now.

KCL
04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, you were probably a soph in high school the last time they were in a SB...so you have at least seen some success.

No I'm not that old cswil...I don't even remember when the Chiefs won a SB.
Yep 1993....you're right.I believe those bad seasons are behind us.

KCL
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
actually yeah i do. controversy aside, i think he can still be a top 5 back. he seems to have taken a humble approach and has shut up about being traded. still i think theres a good chance he's shopped on draft day. scouts say he would be traded for a 3rd-5th round pick.

i would feel alot better if cassel was the qb over orton. cassel doesnt need 2-3 years to learn a new system. we can win now.

Like I said...it might be a possibility that KC gets rid of LJ...You're right he has changed his tune about being traded.I was just curious as to why omac might think KC would be willing to trade Cassel..anything is still possible at this point.

DenBronx
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Like I said...it might be a possibility that KC gets rid of LJ...You're right he has changed his tune about being traded.I was just curious as to why omac might think KC would be willing to trade Cassel..anything is still possible at this point.

i highly doubt kc trades him. they just got a shiny new toy for a 2nd rounder. im pretty sure they will want to test it out first. plus it would only help their division rival.

KCL
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
i highly doubt kc trades him. they just got a shiny new toy for a 2nd rounder. im pretty sure they will want to test it out first. plus it would only help their division rival.

Well they did let Neil Smith get away and he went to Denver...of course that's when Carl was in charge and Pioli isn't Carl...thank god.Peterson got lazy and stupid.I am so glad he is gone.

You're right...they might keep LJ.I haven't heard anything about them talking about trading him.

2Fity@The303
04-22-2009, 10:17 PM

It would be worth a 4th-5th round pick to get LJ, just so the dude would quit OWNING our defense...

KCL
04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
It would be worth a 4th-5th round pick to get LJ, just so the dude would quit OWNING our defense...

On second thought...maybe I do want him to stay...:lol:

DenBronx
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Well they did let Neil Smith get away and he went to Denver...of course that's when Carl was in charge and Pioli isn't Carl...thank god.Peterson got lazy and stupid.I am so glad he is gone.

You're right...they might keep LJ.I haven't heard anything about them talking about trading him.

i was refering to cassel. i doubt they trade him without giving him a try first. on lj i actually think they will try and dump his 5 mill a year salary via trade or look to outright cut him.

DenBronx
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM

for that reason alone is good enough for me to trade for him. that way we wont have to worry about him rushing for 350 yards each year against us.

i think he can be had for a 4th.

if the chiefs trade TG then maybe we could just trade sheffler straight up for lj and target a TE in round 2. cook anyone?

KCL
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
i was refering to cassel. i doubt they trade him without giving him a try first. on lj i actually think they will try and dump his 5 mill a year salary or look to outright cut him.

:doh: sorry Den...I thought you meant LJ. The Chiefs can get rid of him and not owe him as much as they would have since they won that case against him.I made a thread about that in the other NFL teams forum.

Thnikkaman
04-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Would you trade pick #12 for Marion High Schools Starting Quarterback?

omac
04-22-2009, 11:52 PM

LOL, no. :D

I was just thinking, if the Lions and Rams don't pick a QB, KC can get and develop whoever they want. Though Cassel has played well last season, he wasn't that far from getting cut if Brady hadn't gone down; proof of that is that he didn't even get a contract extension, that's why the Pats had to franchise him after he played well.

He could turn out great, or he could go on the Derek Anderson ruote; I'm pretty sure that in hindsight, the Browns would've traded him while his value was high. Pioli is a very savvy GM. These 2 QB prospects coming out of college are thought of pretty highly, easily more than Cassel ever was before last season. Some execs still don't believe Cassel is that good.

The only coach right now who overvalues Cassel is McDaniels, so there's an opportunity there. For McDaniels' part, he can install his offense much more smoothly.

I have my doubts if Cassel can beat Thigpen in a true, open competition ($14M says it's rigged :D ), but I don't doubt Cassel can run the Pats' system here in Denver.

omac
04-22-2009, 11:55 PM

That kinda makes it sound like Orton for LJ and a 3rd. :D

omac
04-22-2009, 11:55 PM
are coming to an end!

I think so too.

omac
04-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Would you trade pick #12 for Marion High Schools Starting Quarterback?

Forget pick #12, the FO was trying to trade their franchise QB for him. Since Pat's given McDaniels the go signal to do anything he wants, why not just get the QB he really wants too?

Thnikkaman
04-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Forget pick #12, the FO was trying to trade their franchise QB for him. Since Pat's given McDaniels the go signal to do anything he wants, why not just get the QB he really wants too?

1. Not worth the pick.
2. I don't think the Chiefs are giving him up.
3. This is a pipe dream and I am surprised we are even discussing it.

omac
04-23-2009, 12:10 AM
1. Not worth the pick.
2. I don't think the Chiefs are giving him up.
3. This is a pipe dream and I am surprised we are even discussing it.

This is the offseason; everything is speculation. Until this season, trading Cutler was unheard of, so obviously, anything can happen. :coffee:

Thnikkaman
04-23-2009, 12:14 AM
This is the offseason; everything is speculation. Until this season, trading Cutler was unheard of, so obviously, anything can happen. :coffee:

The probability of this scenario is < .1 x 10e-19.

It is more likely that I get hit by a semi while I am having a 3 way with Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johansen.

:coffee:

topscribe
04-23-2009, 12:24 AM

I want that pick for Raji or Jackson, but they could easily be gone. I don't want to move up to get Sanchez. I also said Cassel still has to prove that he can win a starting job in another system.

But we are building the Pats system here that he's done well in, and like Shazam says, it immediately upgrades our offense because of Cassel's familiarity with it. We can start focusing more on defense.

In a head-to-head battle in any other system, I'd pick Orton to beat Cassel, but this is the NE system where Cassel was able to absorb it fully under no pressure or scrutiny at all, due to playing behind Tom Brady, and he will be playing under the coach who mentored him in it. How can it go wrong?

Cassell did well in more than just the NE system. Cassell did fairly well with
the NE Patriots team itself . . . you know, the perennial Super Bowl team that
went 18-1 the previous year? The Denver Broncos are not the NE Patriots.
And Cassell will soon find out, the hard way, that neither are the KC Chiefs.

Everybody seems to have such a high opinion of Pioli. My opinion of him took
a tumble with just that trade. A high 2nd rounder for Cassell? Well, he and
Vrabel might be worth it. Maybe. Or maybe not.

So Cassell went 11-5 with the Pats, and Orton went 9-7 with the Bears. Does
anyone realistically think that Cassell would have gone 11-5 with the Bears?

I'm beginning to realize why the Belichick refugees around the league haven't
seemed so successful as a whole. Belichick did the thinking. When his minions
turned loose, they forgot to exchange their playbooks for brains, apparently.

-----

frenchfan
04-23-2009, 01:11 AM
The probability of this scenario is < .1 x 10e-19.

It is more likely that I get hit by a semi while I am having a 3 way with Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johansen.

:coffee:Who knows Thnik ? Anything can happen now...
I had a 4 way with Jessica Biel, Scarlett and Jessica Alba yet... ;) :laugh:

DenBronx
04-23-2009, 01:43 AM

-----

not so fast top. cassell had no NFL experience until last year. he was really a rookie and backed up matt lienart all through college. he never really got a chance until brady got injured. he started the season slow but started lighting it up as he got more comfortable. remember that game against miami? 3 or 4 td's and 300+ yards? new englands wr's was even a little depleted with the loss of stallworth. i think cassell in the right system could end up being a pro bowler but if he goes someone where he really isnt comfortable then he might end up looking fairly average.

but.....its hard to argue on the orton part. he didnt make mistakes and that can help an average qb keep his job. orton to me is the ultimate game manager with a big arm that hasnt yet been set free. lovie smith didnt really know how to use him i think. im becoming more and more intrigued the more i learn about orton. if he has even 80% of the arm that cutler had i think he will flourish in the spread offense. bring in a franchise rb and we might actually be a force.

topscribe
04-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Who knows Thnik ? Anything can happen now...

Scarlett? Scarlett O'Hara?

Where did you manage to dig her up?

:D

-----

LordTrychon
04-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Good to see a nice balanced debate and poll.

frenchfan
04-23-2009, 03:17 AM
Scarlett? Scarlett O'Hara?

Where did you manage to dig her up?

-----Yep, indeed Tops... Not "where", but "when" ;) ... In a previous life :D

I was already "French" and she was very tired of Rhett... She wanted to know what a Man was ... She didn't seem disappointed to learn what were "bisous" ... ;) :laugh:

Anyway, about the 4 way, I meant Scarlett J... But thanks for reminding me some very good memories anyway ! :D

:beer:

PS : Am I off topic now???? :confused: :D

omac
04-23-2009, 03:52 AM

-----

I think Cassel did real good in NE's system. True, he did have Moss and Welker, a pretty dependable rushing offense, and a pretty good defense. But McDaniels and Nolan are trying to build that here. On the Bears, I do think Orton would've beaten him in a QB competition, but Cassel's been bred in McDaniels' system, so that has value.

I do agree with you that McDaniels may lack some wisdom, but I'm hoping he's as good as he thinks he is. He'd better be, as Pat is giving him full control of the franchise.

omac
04-23-2009, 03:53 AM

Yup, I guess only me and Shazam voted yes. :D

frenchfan
04-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Yup, I guess only me and Shazam voted yes. :DThough I think you're right about Cassel (he knows McD's system very well), I don't like the deal.

IMO we have too many issues on D...
But the question should be : will it be enough defensives talents at #12 and #18 to make this deal interesting? I think we can't pass on taking some good D talent...

BTW, I'm comfortable with Orton right now... After all, he didn't have thrown a Int yet ;) :laugh:

claymore
04-23-2009, 06:03 AM

This is the worst tread ever.

broncofaninfla
04-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Absolutly not

LRtagger
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Bleh

LRtagger
04-23-2009, 08:45 AM
This is the worst tread ever.

no this is

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_blowout.jpg

Thnikkaman
04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Who knows Thnik ? Anything can happen now...

But did you get hit by a big ass truck during coitus?

Mike
04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Hell no.

Dortoh
04-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Cassel is going to be exposed this season IMHO. He is nothing more then a life time backup talent qb who was protected by playing for a team that had gone 16-0 the season before. KC is a far cry from NE right now.

LRtagger
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Cassel is going to be exposed this season IMHO. He is nothing more then a life time backup talent qb who was protected by playing for a team that had gone 16-0 the season before. KC is a far cry from NE right now.

Good thing for him he will be making $13mil this year hahahahaha

OrangeHoof
04-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Wow...that would be a roll of the dice, especially with a division rival.

So, why the 12th pick? Why not the 18th? Cassel was just traded two months ago for a 2nd rounder and had an aging LB thrown in. Why is he suddenly worth the 12th?

As to the original proposal, no way. I'm still not sold on Cassel as anything beyond a one-year wonder. The way I see it, Brady was 18-1 with the same team and Cassel was just 11-5. He's not Brady and he's not worth a first-rounder.

topscribe
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM

Orton for Cassell, LJ, and a 3rd, and a dozen glazed rolls from the Donut Wheel.

12 for Raji . . .

-----

Timmy!
04-23-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.geocities.com/hgc_maintenance/rretarded.jpg

weazel
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
throw the QB threads all together in one thread called BS

T.K.O.
04-23-2009, 03:04 PM
trading a #12 pick for cassel would be like trying to trade jay cutler for....oh uhhh nevermind !:confused:

Thnikkaman
04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Using Cutler as a Benchmark, Cassel is worth Nothing more than two 3rd round picks, and a Double Double animal style.

topscribe
04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
no this is

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_blowout.jpg

That's not a tread. That's a tire. A tire is what leaves a tread. :D

-----

KCL
04-23-2009, 03:11 PM

-----

well maybe clay meant this instead of a tread...:whoknows:

http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/Nylon-thread.jpg

LRtagger
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM

-----

No way thats tread marks old man. The tread is a part of a tire.

you are thinking about back in the 20's when you got your license and tires didnt have any tread on them they were just rubber tubes.

LRtagger
04-23-2009, 03:24 PM
BTW now I hear chief fans are thinking we are going to trade them our 12 and 18 to move up to #3 to get Sanchez

dumbasses

Rex
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM
BTW now I hear chief fans are thinking we are going to trade them our 12 and 18 to move up to #3 to get Sanchez

dumbasses

word.

topscribe
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
No way thats tread marks old man. The tread is a part of a tire.

you are thinking about back in the 20's when you got your license and tires didnt have any tread on them they were just rubber tubes.

No one ever accused my elevator of going all the way to the top. :confused:

-----

T.K.O.
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
well maybe clay meant this instead of a tread...:whoknows:

http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/Nylon-thread.jpg

2nd stringer....;)

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2009, 06:38 PM
love ya mac and hate to do this, but DUMBEST POLL EVER!

Simple Jaded
04-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Give the 12th pick in the draft to a division rival for a career backup? That does sound like something a 33 year rookie Head Coach/GM would do.......

TXBRONC
04-23-2009, 06:48 PM

With trade of Cutler to the Bears for the two first round picks and the 3rd and Orton I really don't see us trading a first rounder for Cassel. I also don't see us trading up to take Sanchez. Many of the analysts have made to big of deal over Denver bringing Sanchez for a workout. Is Denver interested in him? I think so, but they also brought in Raji and few other players to workout so I don't stock in it.