PDA

View Full Version : Kizla: In the playoffs, best bet is Tim Tebow to beat Peyton Manning Read more: Kickin' it: In the playoffs, best bet is Tim Tebow to beat Peyton Manning

Cugel
04-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Mark Kizla is not one to let April Fools pass without trying to stir up the pot! This brought me a laugh. I suppose some people will be outraged. And others will earnestly try and argue that he's right! :laugh:

I am concerned, however, that a quarterback with the type of injury Manning has suffered will be able to play for an entire season. Manning is not one of the greatest playoff quarterbacks in league history. He is 9-10 for his career. In the playoffs, best bet is Tim Tebow to beat Peyton Manning. (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_20300334/playoffs-best-bet-is-tim-tebow-beat-peyton)

People say that Kizla is an idiot. But, he's not. His job is to sell newspapers. And making outrageous and controversial statements like this one is how he does it. :beer:

No, Tebow isn't going to beat anybody in the playoffs because he's not the starting QB, and I don't get the feeling he's going to lead the Jets anywhere. But, nice April Fools!

Cugel
04-01-2012, 08:01 AM
As for Tizla's argument about Manning, some might argue of course that Manning is 9-10 because he keeps running into Tom Brady and a superior Patriots team in the playoffs.

That argument is like arguing John Elway as a "bad playoff QB" because he lost 3 SBs and an AFC Championship Game to the Buffalo Bills. His team wasn't nearly as talented as the Giants or 49ers and when they met in the SB he had no chance. Same thing for Manning most of the time (as we saw last year, his Colts team utterly sucks without him). Obviously Elway deserves credit for getting a team that should have lost to the Cleveland Browns twice into the SB twice. Manning deserves the same credit.

So does Tebow for that matter, since the Broncos last year shouldn't have won 8 games and wouldn't have without him. Still, it's not every division or every year even in the AFC West that you can back into the playoffs going 1-4 down the stretch to finish 8-8! I'm not sure how much credit is deserved there. :laugh:

catfish
04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Mark Kizla is not one to let April Fools pass without trying to stir up the pot! This brought me a laugh. I suppose some people will be outraged. And others will earnestly try and argue that he's right! :laugh:

People say that Kizla is an idiot. But, he's not. His job is to sell newspapers. And making outrageous and controversial statements like this one is how he does it. :beer:

No, Tebow isn't going to beat anybody in the playoffs because he's not the starting QB, and I don't get the feeling he's going to lead the Jets anywhere. But, nice April Fools!

I don't think kiz wrote that? I thought it was a question sent to his mailbag that he later answered...maybe I read it wrong?

MOtorboat
04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't think kiz wrote that? I thought it was a question sent to his mailbag that he later answered...maybe I read it wrong?

Yeah, it was a copy editor who didn't read the article real well. The fan said that.

Cugel
04-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it was a copy editor who didn't read the article real well. The fan said that.

You know, now that I look at that article, I'm not really sure. The header says "Crystalballer." I assumed that was Kizla looking into his "crystal ball." But, it could be a fan I suppose. Normally, however if it was a fan Kizla would put HIS opinion right below it, but he doesn't.

He knows what he's doing. He's stirring up the pot and making controversy so people will get angry and passionate and start arguing. That builds interest in the paper which sells papers which sells advertising, which is his job.

Cugel
04-01-2012, 10:08 AM

You know, now that I look at that article, I'm not really sure. The header says "Crystal Baller." I assumed that was Kizla looking into his "crystal ball." But, it could be a fan I suppose. Normally, however if it was a fan Kizla would put HIS opinion right below it, but he doesn't.

He knows what he's doing. He's stirring up the pot and making controversy so people will get angry and passionate and start arguing. That builds interest in the paper which sells papers which sells advertising, which is his job.

MOtorboat
04-01-2012, 10:38 AM
?

It's clearly a fan question and then Kizla makes the crack about Pat Robertson in a Jets jersey.

MOtorboat
04-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Kickin' it: In the playoffs, best bet is Tim Tebow to beat Peyton Manning
Readers talk and sports columnist Mark Kiszla responds.

By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Crystal baller. Many analysts, including the oddsmakers in Las Vegas, have portrayed the Broncos as Super Bowl contenders in 2012, entirely due to the fact the Broncos "upgraded" their quarterback position from Tim Tebow to Peyton Manning. With a dropback passer in 2010, the Broncos finished 4-12. My point is: The Broncos were undoubtedly a 4-12 (or so) team in 2011 without the miracle that was Tebow. Manning is probably the greatest regular-season QB in league history. It is probable that with him, the Broncos can win nine or 10 games. I am concerned, however, that a quarterback with the type of injury Manning has suffered will be able to play for an entire season. Manning is not one of the greatest playoff quarterbacks in league history. He is 9-10 for his career. If I had to predict, I would guess the 9-7 Broncos will lose to the 10-6 New York Jets led by Tebow in the wild-card round of the playoffs.

Shelby, keeping that No. 15 jersey

Kiz: I can't see past lunch, much less predict what will happen next NFL season. But I'll make you one guarantee: If Tebow and Manning meet as starting quarterbacks in the playoffs, televangelist Pat Robertson will be cheering from his sofa at home, while wearing a Jets jersey.

http://denverpost.com/sports/ci_20300334/playoffs-best-bet-is-tim-tebow-beat-peyton

WARHORSE
04-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Best bet, Tebow to beat Manning in playoffs?

J E S T to beat the B R O N C O S?

Go ahead and bet on Turbo. I'll cover it.

hotcarl
04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
april fools is the gayest "holiday" ever unless you are under the age of 8

anyone who laughs today FOR ANY REASON should be banned

sneakers
04-01-2012, 11:54 PM
april fools is the gayest "holiday" ever unless you are under the age of 8

anyone who laughs today FOR ANY REASON should be banned

ur a gay holiday

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 01:30 AM
As for Tizla's argument about Manning, some might argue of course that Manning is 9-10 because he keeps running into Tom Brady and a superior Patriots team in the playoffs.
Or Pittsburgh and its rapist QB. I've felt this way for a long time before he became Denver's starter (which I'm still only 50/50 on), but Manning would have had at least one more ring if he hadn't been forced to knock down top five teams and top five quarterbacks every year just to get to the Super Bowl.

As to this thread's topic, however....... I could see it. As with everything involving what Tebow's done on the field, I'm sure I would have nothing left to do but laugh.

Joel
04-03-2012, 08:24 AM
As for Tizla's argument about Manning, some might argue of course that Manning is 9-10 because he keeps running into Tom Brady and a superior Patriots team in the playoffs. That argument is like arguing John Elway as a "bad playoff QB" because he lost 3 SBs and an AFC Championship Game to the Buffalo Bills. His team wasn't nearly as talented as the Giants or 49ers and when they met in the SB he had no chance. Same thing for Manning most of the time (as we saw last year, his Colts team utterly sucks without him). Obviously Elway deserves credit for getting a team that should have lost to the Cleveland Browns twice into the SB twice. Manning deserves the same credit.So does Tebow for that matter, since the Broncos last year shouldn't have won 8 games and wouldn't have without him. Still, it's not every division or every year even in the AFC West that you can back into the playoffs going 1-4 down the stretch to finish 8-8! I'm not sure how much credit is deserved there. :laugh:
But Manning didn't take losers to Super Bowls, he took teams with a solid offensive line, HoF receivers, Edgerrin James/Joseph Addai at RB and Tony Dungy running the D to a pair of Super Bowls, managing to win one. Otherwise, he was either one and done, or beat-the Broncos-crappy-secondary-and-done, which proved we needed to trade Portis for Champ and draft a ton of DBs, not Mannings greatness. Without a couple 40 point blowouts of defenseless Broncos and the Puntless Game against KC, Manning would be 6-10 in the playoffs. How good are the Bolts in the playoffs? Good enough to beat Indy TWICE.

Maybe instead of comparing Manning to Elway vs. the Browns, the better comparison would be Schottenheimer vs. Denver. ;)

Yes, the Colts were much worse without him, but hurt just as badly last year by the fact the AFC South wasn't garbage like the previous decade. No more winning a dozen games beating up on an expansion team (who beat the invincible Colts surprisingly often) and pitiful Jags while Bud Adams refused to allow the Titans victories. Indy was the NFLs Boise St. without the post-season wins. All those 12+ win seasons and playoff losses weren't dumb luck, they were because the playoffs don't allow teams like the rest of the Colts Division.

All that said, yes, Kizla is probably just trying to sell papers, but the popular conceit he's made us invincible when he lost more playoff games than he won with a MUCH better team is worrisome. (Yet) another .500 season seems VERY likely, and I shudder to think of the reaction. I pity the poor schlubs we start at DT, because they are the only usual suspects left to blame. Right now I figure it's even money whether we lash out at them or Mannings neck rather than face the fact we have many holes and a long way to go.