PDA

View Full Version : The Most Exciting 8 yrd Run in Super Bowl History.....

Ravage!!!
03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Just saw this article on ESPN, about the "helicopter" that is still etched into Super Bowl history!

I remember that so well. In a sports bar surrounded by Chief fans rooting against the Broncos....worried that we are going against the tough Packers, already a huge underdog with 13 years of NFC dominance...and the fear of coming SOOO close again and failing. But when John made that 1st down, I jumped up out of my seat, SCREAMING with my fists held high, yelling "WE ARE GOING TO DO IT!!!!!" It was THE moment in that game that I just KNEW the Broncos were going to get their first Super Bowl win!!

great article, fun to read the perspective from all the players involved from both teams.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/feature/moment/_/page/JohnElwayMomentInTime/inside-moment-time-john-elway-spin-move

"Even when Elway collided with those defenders and spun sideways before landing on the turf, he couldn't have grasped what he'd done. In 8 hard-earned yards, he'd produced one of the most memorable first downs in Super Bowl history."

Denver Native (Carol)
03-31-2012, 06:19 PM
One play I will never forget.

topscribe
03-31-2012, 06:33 PM
In gaining that first down, Elway both propelled his team to an upset win and reminded observers of what made him so great in the first place. It wasn't his arm and it wasn't his legs. Ultimately, as people who knew him best would attest, it was his will.
In a recent interview, when asked what it was that made a QB great, Elway thumped his chest with his fist and said, "It's in here."

Guess he knows what he's talking about . . .

Nomad
03-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Right on and hell yeah!

FanInAZ
04-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Even though that was in the 3rd quarter of a tied game, that was when I knew we were going to win that SB. In fact, I consider that to be the play that won us that game. Elway just had that look on his face, and demeanor in his body, when got up that there was no way he would let us loose. Meanwhile, the Packers defenders had that; “what in the world…” look on their faces and demeanor in their bodies.

Northman
04-01-2012, 08:57 AM
I agree. That moment told me just how bad John and company wanted that game.

smith49
04-01-2012, 10:12 AM
I was at a house full of packer fans and I can't describe how very sweet it was that night. I was 24 at the time and it had been a lifetime of disappointment as far as the super bowl went. What a relief, and to see it all hinge on some great plays none bigger then the helicopter was just so so so awesome.

Cugel
04-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I will never forget that game or that play. I was more nervous than I can ever remember being. It was at a party and everybody was jumping up and down and hugging each other the way you only see in advertisements.

Then the parade. . . .

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/0124/20080124__Parade1998~p1.jpg

Dapper Dan
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I really hate the fact that I was about 8 years old and don't remember this live.

Of course, I've seen the replay and watched the game over many, many times. It's always been one of the most motivating plays to me.

DenBronx
04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
It's my single most favorite play by any Bronco ever and probably the best play in NFL history. Unless you we're able to witness this live and knew the circumstances you truly won't understand. It was incredible....I went absolutely crazy when this happened live. My friends thought I was a lunatic and I was. I was pretty drunk and screaming at the top of my lungs on top of a table at a bar.....on the Packers fans table at the bar.